PDA

View Full Version : Tate V Ward

aussie_texan
09-01-2011, 10:51 PM
no its not that return of micky ward.

but was wondering who will be the number 1 for week 1 if foster misses out.
we didnt see any of either in tonights game and ward has always been the number 2 on the depth chart but Tate has looked real good during pre-season.

thoughts??

PS i also need this for my fantasy team....i know im sick!

michaelm
09-01-2011, 10:54 PM

we didnt see any of either in tonights game and ward has always been the number 2 on the depth chart but Tate has looked real good during pre-season.

thoughts??

Kubiak has a strong tendency to favor vets with experience. He's not going to entrust his QB's health and wellfare to Tate's blocking, so that will limit how much Tate will be on the field. He will play some, though.

ObsiWan
09-01-2011, 10:56 PM

thoughts??

Are both on your roster?
Start 'em both
:D

aussie_texan
09-01-2011, 11:01 PM
neither are. tate has already been picked up wondering if i should grab ward quick smart

80tothezone
09-02-2011, 02:45 AM

thoughts??

ward will start but tate is a smarter runner and in the long run I think he will win out.

Corrosion
09-02-2011, 03:11 AM
Kubiak has a strong tendency to favor vets with experience. He's not going to entrust his QB's health and wellfare to Tate's blocking, so that will limit how much Tate will be on the field. He will play some, though.

Tates blitz pick up wasnt bad at all .... He will see plenty of action , I wouldnt be surprised if he started in place of Foster against the Dolts if Foster isnt ready to go.

thunderkyss
09-02-2011, 03:16 AM
I think Ward will start & have a good game. Ben will also play and earn a start in the future.

ObsiWan
09-02-2011, 04:00 AM
neither are. tate has already been picked up wondering if i should grab ward quick smart

depends on who you have to dump to make room for him on your team. Even with a healthy Foster, Ward's going to get his share of carries. So he's worth a very late pickup

Allstar
09-02-2011, 04:01 AM
Ward would start but you can bet your bottom dollar that Tate will get serious burn early on and Kubiak will ride the hot hand.

Thorn
09-02-2011, 06:41 AM
If Foster doesn't start, I'd bet Ward would get the early nod. Until Tate can prove he can block and catch in real gametime conditions, Ward will always get the start in situations like this. Ward's a darn good RB, Tate just has more talent.

PapaL
09-02-2011, 06:49 AM
I'm a huge Tate supporter. Talent wise he might be our best RB; he sure was in college. It's going to be great watching FTW play this year.

Big Lou
09-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Kubiak pulls a rope a dope and Slaton gets the start..........:splits:

Malloy
09-02-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm hoping that Slaton is out of here, if Dickerson is gone then why not Slaton.

Ward/Tate, I'm guessing 2/3 Ward, 1/3 Tate.

badboy
09-02-2011, 05:38 PM
I'm hoping that Slaton is out of here, if Dickerson is gone then why not Slaton.

Ward/Tate, I'm guessing 2/3 Ward, 1/3 Tate.Because Dickerson didn't make make it on field and Slaron's legitimate injury kept him off field.
SS has enough history to show he might be a contributor. There has been enough time to cut him or buy him out.
I think Smithiak is hoping he will getgg on field eventually and maybe produce.

Corrosion
09-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Because Dickerson didn't make make it on field and Slaron's legitimate injury kept him off field.
SS has enough history to show he might be a contributor. There has been enough time to cut him or buy him out.
I think Smithiak is hoping he will getgg on field eventually and maybe produce.

Or become trade bait for a team hurting at the RB position

badboy
09-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Or become trade bait for a team hurting at the RB positionYes

DocBar
09-03-2011, 10:58 AM
I think the percentage of plays Tate is on will be tied directly to the scoreboard. If we're behind and passing a lot, I expect to see a lot more of Ward. Freeny and Mathis teeing off against basically a rookie is scary enough. Throw in blitzes and it gets worse. Hopefully, we'll be so far ahead that we're the ones teeing off on whoever starts as QB for the Colts.

Lucky
09-03-2011, 12:32 PM
I think the percentage of plays Tate is on will be tied directly to the scoreboard. If we're behind and passing a lot, I expect to see a lot more of Ward.
That was the point I was about to make. I would also expect Tate to get his touches between the 20's, and Ward to get the ball when avoiding turnovers is most crucial.

Ndevine7
09-03-2011, 01:00 PM
That was the point I was about to make. I would also expect Tate to get his touches between the 20's, and Ward to get the ball when avoiding turnovers is most crucial.

Yea i think if Foster is out week 1 Ward will get the start but it will be a RB by committee. Ward will get around 15-20 touches while Tate will get around 10-15 touches all depending on who has the hot hand, how successful we are running the ball, and the score. Tate will most likely get his touches on first or second downs and between the 20's like Lucky said. Ward is a vet and Kubs will trust him more at the GL and during protection packages. I wouldnt be surprised if on 4 WR sets (either 3 WR and OD or 4 WR) to see Casey as the lone back because he is a solid blocker as well as a solid receiver out of the backfield

Napa Auto Parts
09-04-2011, 02:33 PM
I think tate will get the majority of the carries he has outplayed ward during preseason. besides we all know this hammy will cause foster problems probably all year long especially with his running style.

foo82
09-04-2011, 03:59 PM
I think tate will get the majority of the carries he has outplayed ward during preseason. besides we all know this hammy will cause foster problems probably all year long especially with his running style.

Ward proved it last season he can play. Who cares how well someone did in the preseason, especially if both players only played like 2 games a piece (1 for ward). You don't reward someone with a good preseason over someone who averaged 6 yards per carries last season.

PapaL
09-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Tate is the better player. Ward has experience.

Last year we started an unproven undrafted 2nd year guy and that worked out. Nothing wrong w starting Tate.

JamesBill
09-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Hopefully Kubiak makes the decision based on who is performing better. Whoever starts the game doesn't matter if the guy doing better gets more carries.

thunderkyss
09-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Hopefully Kubiak makes the decision based on who is performing better. Whoever starts the game doesn't matter if the guy doing better gets more carries.

Kubiak will favor the guy who keeps Schaub off his ass........ moderated with offensive production. The offense starts & stops with Matt.

Napa Auto Parts
09-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Ward proved it last season he can play. Who cares how well someone did in the preseason, especially if both players only played like 2 games a piece (1 for ward). You don't reward someone with a good preseason over someone who averaged 6 yards per carries last season.

Breaking News In the NFL you do especially when were not talking about a Superstar.

badboy
09-04-2011, 10:45 PM

Last year we started an unproven undrafted 2nd year guy and that worked out. Nothing wrong w starting Tate.Not exactly true as Foster played in 6 regular games in 2009 & avg 4.8 yards. Maybe not a "proven" player but much more than a guy with no NFL games.

http://www.nfl.com/player/arianfoster/79555/careerstats
2010 Houston Texans 16 327 20.4 1,616 4.9 101.0 16 74T 89 27.2 12 3 3

2009 Houston Texans 6 54 9.0 257 4.8 42.8 3 24 15 27.8 1 0 0

TOTAL 22 381 17.3 1,873 4.9 85.1 19 74 104 27.3 13 3 3

Receiving
Year Team G Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st FUM
2010 Houston Texans 16 66 604 9.2 37.8 50 2 6 1 34 0

2009 Houston Texans 6 8 93 11.6 15.5 20 0 1 0 4 1

TOTAL 22 74 697 9.4 31.7 50 2 7 1 38 1

Defensive
Tackles Interceptions
Year Team G Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int TDs Yds Avg Lng
2010 Houston Texans 16 2 2 0 0.0 0 0 -- -- -- 0.0 --

2009 Houston Texans 6 2 1 1 0.0 0 0 -- -- -- 0.0 --

TOTAL 22 4 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 -- 0

Fumbles
Year Team G FUM Lost FF Rec Rec Yds Yds TD OOB Sfty TB
2010 Houston Texans 16 3 2 1 1 -- 1 -- -- 0 0 0

2009 Houston Texans 6 1 1 0 -- -- -- -- -- 0 0 0

TOTAL 22 4 3 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0

DocBar
09-04-2011, 10:46 PM

Last year we started an unproven undrafted 2nd year guy and that worked out. Nothing wrong w starting Tate.How has Tate been proven? Off of one PS performance? I'm lovin me some Tater Salad, but one PS game does not a proven NFL starter make. Ward has been a very good pick up for us and I will trust him more than I will Tate, who is still basically a rookie. I mean the guy doesn't even have a full game's worth of touches against guys with different logo's on their helmet.

ObsiWan
09-04-2011, 11:39 PM
How has Tate been proven? Off of one PS performance? I'm lovin me some Tater Salad, but one PS game does not a proven NFL starter make. Ward has been a very good pick up for us and I will trust him more than I will Tate, who is still basically a rookie. I mean the guy doesn't even have a full game's worth of touches against guys with different logo's on their helmet.

Agreed. :goodpost:

DocBar
09-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Breaking News In the NFL you do especially when were not talking about a Superstar.We need a smilie of a smilie putting it's foot in it's mouth. Yes, I know it would get used on me early and often, but it would still be funny as hell.:chef:

MojoMan
09-05-2011, 09:40 AM
We need a smilie of a smilie putting it's foot in it's mouth. Yes, I know it would get used on me early and often, but it would still be funny as hell.:chef:

That and a vomit smilie.

ubecool454
09-05-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm a huge Tate supporter. Talent wise he might be our best RB; he sure was in college. It's going to be great watching FTW play this year.

I'm with you about Tate may be the best RB on the Texans. I posted that on the Texans website and man they called me a few things I can't repeat..lol

PapaL
09-05-2011, 10:34 AM
How has Tate been proven? Off of one PS performance? I'm lovin me some Tater Salad, but one PS game does not a proven NFL starter make. Ward has been a very good pick up for us and I will trust him more than I will Tate, who is still basically a rookie. I mean the guy doesn't even have a full game's worth of touches against guys with different logo's on their helmet.

I never said he was proven. IMO Tate will be more than very good and better than Ward. Ward is cool and all but I don't think he'll hold a candle to Tate once it's said and done.

The point I'm making is that last year's Foster and this year's Tate were/are unproven. Yes Foster did play 6 games the end of the previous year. All I'm saying is give Tate a shot. We drafted him to be our starting RB after all, not likely to happen now but still. He's had a year to watch film and learn the Offense...just about the same amount of time Foster did on PS the year before.

PapaL
09-05-2011, 10:38 AM
I'm with you about Tate may be the best RB on the Texans. I posted that on the Texans website and man they called me a few things I can't repeat..lol

As a pro, right now Foster is. No doubt about that. Go back and watch them in college and Tate was. If he can make the transition to the NFL and stay healthy we will be in VERY good shape.

ObsiWan
09-05-2011, 10:54 AM
As a pro, right now Foster is. No doubt about that. Go back and watch them in college and Tate was. If he can make the transition to the NFL and stay healthy we will be in VERY good shape.

Oh my... whichever stud RB shall we start??
'tis a lovely "problem" to have, don't you think?
:doot:

DocBar
09-05-2011, 12:28 PM
I never said he was proven. IMO Tate will be more than very good and better than Ward. Ward is cool and all but I don't think he'll hold a candle to Tate once it's said and done.

The point I'm making is that last year's Foster and this year's Tate were/are unproven. Yes Foster did play 6 games the end of the previous year. All I'm saying is give Tate a shot. We drafted him to be our starting RB after all, not likely to happen now but still. He's had a year to watch film and learn the Offense...just about the same amount of time Foster did on PS the year before.Sorry if I came off sounding harsh. I was trying to point out that Tate hasn't proven to be the best back on the Texans yet.

hradhak
09-05-2011, 12:30 PM
I imagine that if Foster can't go, it's going to be more of a 2 headed monster than anything. I have a feeling both will get equal reps. I imagine Slaton will play too since he's on the roster and is a proven commodity for catching out of the backfield (but not necessarily running the ball anymore).

badboy
09-05-2011, 12:54 PM
I see Tate as more of a Foster type back but with more speed and probably better hands. Ward is more of a power back, short yardage or goal line back. He can catch but not his forte. With good rotation by OC, we should control the clock even more this season which in turn will help the defense remain fresh.

thunderkyss
09-05-2011, 02:21 PM
I imagine that if Foster can't go, it's going to be more of a 2 headed monster than anything. I have a feeling both will get equal reps. I imagine Slaton will play too since he's on the roster and is a proven commodity for catching out of the backfield (but not necessarily running the ball anymore).

Whether he can go or not I think is moot right now. The MRI-Twitter thing pretty much says he'll sit a quarter, maybe a half...... If it were me, & I know Hamstrings don't heal in a week's time, I'm sitting the man, telling him it's because of the twit & watch him get even by going off the rest of the year.

2000 yards in 15 games baby.

thunderkyss
09-05-2011, 02:29 PM
I see Tate as more of a Foster type back but with more speed and probably better hands. Ward is more of a power back, short yardage or goal line back. He can catch but not his forte. With good rotation by OC, we should control the clock even more this season which in turn will help the defense remain fresh.

No offense, but I don't see Tate as anything but a younger Ward. He is not (or at least has yet to show) he's as smooth ar Foster. Foster has it all, the jukes, the acceleration, the power, the vision, the hands, the top end, the blocking.... Foster is as complete a back as I've seen in the NFL in a long, long time & that includes Peterson.

1. Arian Foster
2. Adrian Peterson

Number three on that list, in today's NFL is a distant 3rd. Whether we're talking Charles (from my hometown of PA) or Gore, or Turner.... in my mind, Foster is a better LT than LT.

Tate ain't touching that, not even close.

DocBar
09-05-2011, 02:34 PM
No offense, but I don't see Tate as anything but a younger Ward. He is not (or at least has yet to show) he's as smooth ar Foster. Foster has it all, the jukes, the acceleration, the power, the vision, the hands, the top end, the blocking.... Foster is as complete a back as I've seen in the NFL in a long, long time & that includes Peterson.

1. Arian Foster
2. Adrian Peterson

Number three on that list, in today's NFL is a distant 3rd. Whether we're talking Charles (from my hometown of PA) or Gore, or Turner.... in my mind, Foster is a better LT than LT.

Tate ain't touching that, not even close.

♪You completely left Chris Johnson off of that list? He's gotta be at least top 3 and much better than Gore or Turner.

thunderkyss
09-05-2011, 02:42 PM
You completely left Chris Johnson off of that list? He's gotta be at least top 3 and much better than Gore or Turner.

In production maybe... In complete backs, he's not on the list. No power.

beerlover
09-05-2011, 02:53 PM

thoughts??

week one Vinny has Foster & I have Tate should be interesting. I really hope they're smart with Foster, but if he's ok & cleared by medical staff I'm good with him going, however I don't think the Texans need to risk it to beat a Payton less Colt team in home opener.

DocBar
09-05-2011, 03:04 PM
week one Vinny has Foster & I have Tate should be interesting. I really hope they're smart with Foster, but if he's ok & cleared by medical staff I'm good with him going, however I don't think the Texans need to risk it to beat a Payton less Colt team in home opener.I hope I see him in street clothes on Sunday. Hammy's seem to be one of the hardest injuries to diagnose as "healed". Especially when a player will say and do just about anything to get on the field.

BigBull17
09-06-2011, 10:11 AM
In production maybe... In complete backs, he's not on the list. No power.

Yeah, CJ is homerun or 2 yard loss. He tries to bounce everything, and once he catches a good pop, he wilts. See Steelers games, ect...