PDA

View Full Version : holiday over dickerson?

cj5776
09-01-2011, 09:33 PM
I know its just one game but is anyone else thinking Holiday might make the team and Dickerson might be cut? Holiday could be a nice backup returner and maybe a decent WR burner off the bench

michaelm
09-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Dickerson looked kinda slow out there, for a WR.
Looks like he would be well served to move back to TE as he was in college.

El Tejano
09-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Holliday gets us past the 20!

MEGA SWATT
09-01-2011, 09:47 PM
I know its just one game but is anyone else thinking Holiday might make the team and Dickerson might be cut? Holiday could be a nice backup returner and maybe a decent WR burner off the bench

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/24/Holiday_Inn.jpg

michaelm
09-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Dickerson did nothing out there tonight. That's too bad, I know most of us were really wanting him to develop into something. I have no doubt that he will end up playing TE somewhere in the league, but not with the Texans with our log jam at that position.

CloakNNNdagger
09-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Holliday gets us past the 20!

That's a real positive, especially with 2nd and 3rd (and even 4th stringers) in there. He brings back true excitement to returns (and even on offensive plays, especially I can imagine when he has 1st team talent surrounding him)

aussie_texan
09-01-2011, 09:53 PM
53 spots isnt enough for holiday to get on unfortunately.

i think DD moves to the 5th WR spot and BJ is our 4th.

ill be suprised if they take a 6th aswell seen as no one really stepped up during games this pre-season. they will stash some on IR and PS.

there are other spots on the roster that we need to go deep like D-line and L'Backer

cj5776
09-01-2011, 09:58 PM

ill be suprised if they take a 6th aswell seen as no one really stepped up during games this pre-season. they will stash some on IR and PS.

there are other spots on the roster that we need to go deep like D-line and L'Backer

i agree, I would like to see holiday on the practice squad; IMO the 5th spot comes down to dickerson vs whoever is on the waiver wire

ObsiWan
09-01-2011, 10:01 PM

i agree, I would like to see holiday on the practice squad; IMO the 5th spot comes down to dickerson vs whoever is on the waiver wire

I'm with you guys. I didn't see enough to warrant anything more than a spot on the practice squad.
WRs have to block in our offense and I don't see him being able to do that job effectively.

SAMURAITEXAN
09-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Dickerson did nothing out there tonight. That's too bad, I know most of us were really wanting him to develop into something. I have no doubt that he will end up playing TE somewhere in the league, but not with the Texans with our log jam at that position.

Yeah, I was looking forward to seeing Dickerson taking another step forward but today did not look good. However, we now have WR that may turn into a decent one on our IR (Lestar). It is only one game but good to see Holiday showing something positive today.

Go Texans!!!

badboy
09-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Neither should make roster but I'd take Holliday over DD

TimeKiller
09-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Dickerson has good size and hands but just can't seem to make a catch in any amount of traffic. Holliday showed why he was drafted, his speed certainly could impact field position, especially against a good punter like Kluwe. Interesting how this game played out.

Rey
09-01-2011, 10:15 PM
I have 6 wr's on my final roster. Holiday, Dickerson, and Johnson.

ultimatepaki
09-01-2011, 10:45 PM
yeah holliday is practice squad at best. they showed briefly on abc kubiak talking to reporters right after the game and they asked about holiday and kubiak was like "he did some good things out there and he did some not so good things. he's a very talented young man. <pause> I also thought Matt Leinart did some good things out there too."

lol at kubiak not knowing what more to say about holliday and shifting topics quickly.

Rey
09-01-2011, 10:59 PM
yeah holliday is practice squad at best. they showed briefly on abc kubiak talking to reporters right after the game and they asked about holiday and kubiak was like "he did some good things out there and he did some not so good things. he's a very talented young man. I also thought Matt Leinart did some good things out there too."

lol at kubiak not knowing what more to say about holliday and shifting topics quickly.

I thought the same thing when I heard that, but still I have hope that they will keep him.

Granted it was against some guys who may not be in the NFL a few hours from now, but i thought he was the best return man we've seen by far. And he didn't even break a huge one.

dtran04
09-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Kubiak has already declared Manning the KR. Holiday has no shot on the roster. Hopefully practice squad.

sakebomb
09-01-2011, 11:08 PM
He brings back true excitement to returns (and even on offensive plays, especially I can imagine when he has 1st team talent surrounding him)

My heart skips a beat and my stomach knots up every time he is back there fielding a punt/kickoff. Of course he is fun to watch once the ball is secure.

Rey
09-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Kubiak has already declared Manning the KR. Holiday has no shot on the roster. Hopefully practice squad.

Earlier in training camp Vjo pretty much declared Harris the starting nickel.

Sometimes things change when you have more information to evaluate.

GP
09-01-2011, 11:28 PM
I have 6 wr's on my final roster. Holiday, Dickerson, and Johnson.

My projected 53 revision, over in the other thread was this:

5 WR: AJ, KW, JJ, and DD. A tie between Bryant Johnson and Trindon Holliday for spot number 5.

Kubiak said, in camp a few weeks ago, he's got 5 WR spots.

But that was before Jean got hurt. Darling started to come forward, but he also got hurt.

This made Kubiak bring in Bryant Johnson.

So how do we read the tea leaves here? Some say Manning is the KR, but why would we risk him getting hurt on return duty? I wouldn't do it. Not for the sloppy performance of Marciano's squad out there. It'd be a waste.

So that's why I wonder if he's tempted to keep Holliday.

But does he stick with 5 WRs, or add a 6th? If he makes a 6th spot, where do you subtract from? Does he cut one of the LBs to make room for a 6th WR? If he kept Holliday on, he has to put him on the game day 46-man roster in order to justify keeping him on the 53-man roster, right?

Too close to call, IMO. Neck and neck race.

Corrosion
09-02-2011, 12:51 AM
. Not for the sloppy performance of Marciano's squad out there. It'd be a waste.

Marciano's ST's have looked abyssmal thus far but a large part of that is Kubiak has had Marciano put specific players on return and coverage teams thus far so he could evaluate them. Expect those ST units to look considerably different and improved come opening day.

80tothezone
09-02-2011, 01:43 AM
My projected 53 revision, over in the other thread was this:

5 WR: AJ, KW, JJ, and DD. A tie between Bryant Johnson and Trindon Holliday for spot number 5.

Kubiak said, in camp a few weeks ago, he's got 5 WR spots.

But that was before Jean got hurt. Darling started to come forward, but he also got hurt.

This made Kubiak bring in Bryant Johnson.

So how do we read the tea leaves here? Some say Manning is the KR, but why would we risk him getting hurt on return duty? I wouldn't do it. Not for the sloppy performance of Marciano's squad out there. It'd be a waste.

So that's why I wonder if he's tempted to keep Holliday.

But does he stick with 5 WRs, or add a 6th? If he makes a 6th spot, where do you subtract from? Does he cut one of the LBs to make room for a 6th WR? If he kept Holliday on, he has to put him on the game day 46-man roster in order to justify keeping him on the 53-man roster, right?

I don's think he makes it although I did like what I saw he gets dropped to the ps, really this yr not a lot of room on the roster for a change he looses out to a numbers game mainly cause JJ showed some promise and so did keo. Also Kubes' comments after the gme seem like he was not too impressed... don't really see freeing up a roster spot for him.

cland
09-02-2011, 02:31 AM
I've been hopeful that Dickerson would show something, but he lost me tonight. Not on a passing play, but on a running play. He had a DB clear in his sights and made 0 effort to get a block on the guy whom ended up getting the tackle. I can understand route-running, getting off press, etc. but there's no excuse for a converted tight end to be lackadaisical in run blocking.

Wolf6151
09-02-2011, 02:52 AM
I agree with BB, I don't think either make the roster.

Scooter
09-02-2011, 06:30 AM
dickerson looked a bit slow last night and still very raw. just based on this preseason i dont think he's ready for any real playing time yet. holliday on the other hand looked pretty good IMO. he separated instantly from minny's bump and run and was able to find holes in the zone from the few angles i could see. leinart was going deep to him early in the game which would've been great to see, but he was sacked on the play. holliday even had schaub out there talking to him and fixing his shoulder pad between snaps.

maybe it's just fun to root for the little (very little) guy, but i can see him doing a lot of good things for us. i hope he makes it.

TimeKiller
09-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Count me in Bryant Johnson's fan-dwagon. Dude will make this team and if Jacoby can't hang on to the damn ball he will be taking Jacoby's spot SOON. Guy got open, caught everything that was catchable, good sized target and as the.....7th option? 10th? Whatever, if he plays like that in practice JJ better be setting the field on fire with his play.

cj5776
09-02-2011, 10:05 AM
I agree with BB, I don't think either make the roster.

Right now I'm kinda leaning towards BJohnson and Maehl, just wish Maehl did not have the drop

badboy
09-02-2011, 10:26 AM
I think I want to see a lot more AJ, KW, OD and Dreesen sets.

Hervoyel
09-02-2011, 11:40 AM
I'd keep Dickerson over Holiday but I'm even questioning myself as to whether or not it's realistic to keep either one. I just want to see Dickerson emerge as a wide receiver so much that maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there.

I'm still thinking he makes the team at the bottom of the depth chart though and I'm still wondering why we spent money to keep Jacoby Jones at all.

Malloy
09-02-2011, 11:42 AM
I'd keep Dickerson over Holiday but I'm even questioning myself as to whether or not it's realistic to keep either one. I just want to see Dickerson emerge as a wide receiver so much that maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there.

I'm still thinking he makes the team at the bottom of the depth chart though and I'm still wondering why we spent money to keep Jacoby Jones at all.

Wish you posted a couple of minutes later. Dickerson is gone according to the other thread. :/

silvrhand
09-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Holliday fills a role we need so desperately, a return game breaker. Don't get me wrong JJ has been that in the past but I think Holliday gives us that random scatback that we so desperately need.

sakebomb
09-02-2011, 12:10 PM

In that case Dickerson would win since Holliday's neck is only 4 feet off the ground.

Personally I would cut both of them. There has to be someone else out there (especially once teams start cutting players) that are better than these two right? They just picked up Johnson from sacking groceries and he is already better. I get Holliday is quick and fast but he is a dwarf and scares the crap out of me when fielding kicks. In regards to Dickerson, I just don't see a "wow" factor with him. They just seem like they are a dime a dozen type of player.

sakebomb
09-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Wish you posted a couple of minutes later. Dickerson is gone according to the other thread. :/

I guess I'll go read that thread to play catch up.

Malloy
09-02-2011, 12:14 PM
I guess I'll go read that thread to play catch up.

Sorry, this thread :)

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84594

sakebomb
09-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Sorry, this thread :)

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84594

LOL. Thanks.

ObsiWan
09-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Holliday fills a role we need so desperately, a return game breaker. Don't get me wrong JJ has been that in the past but I think Holliday gives us that random scatback that we so desperately need.

"desperately"..??
A few years ago when we had little or no offense I would have agreed with you. But now, with the weapons we have, our offense - when it's clicking - can go 99 yds. Heck, even last night the 3rd stringers were eating up chunks of yds (when the O-line wasn't holding). So I don't care if we fair catch every kickoff. I trust AJ, Schaub, Foster, O.D., and the O-line to put points on the board.

Personally, I'd rather see us add more horsepower to the defense (maybe an extra NT or LB??) with that roster spot than keep the micro-gnat in the hopes that he breaks one before the season is over.
But that's just my :twocents:

I'm not going to agonize over it no matter what they decide.

silvrhand
09-02-2011, 02:47 PM
"desperately"..??
A few years ago when we had little or no offense I would have agreed with you. But now, with the weapons we have, our offense - when it's clicking - can go 99 yds. Heck, even last night the 3rd stringers were eating up chunks of yds (when the O-line wasn't holding). So I don't care if we fair catch every kickoff. I trust AJ, Schaub, Foster, O.D., and the O-line to put points on the board.

Personally, I'd rather see us add more horsepower to the defense (maybe an extra NT or LB??) with that roster spot than keep the micro-gnat in the hopes that he breaks one before the season is over.
But that's just my :twocents:

I'm not going to agonize over it no matter what they decide.

Yah but you know Kubiak goes into his shell when he's backed up near his own endzone.. I dunno punt/kick returns can go a long way in morale for a team as well gets them fired up. Anyone here that remembers Metcalf, Meggett, Deon, Hester, Mitchell, oh and billy white shoes johnson.

All of them with a great return could turn around a game for their team. This is why I would always try to keep an open spot for a great returner.

infantrycak
09-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Yah but you know Kubiak goes into his shell when he's backed up near his own endzone..

Really, we know that huh? Is that from plays like being on the 1 yard line and having Schaub throw the ball to the 25? Then on the next series being on the 4 and again having a 20 yard pass play. Then in OT on the 1 again calling a passing play intended to go about 15 yards. Quite the shell there.

michaelm
09-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Really, we know that huh? Is that from plays like being on the 1 yard line and having Schaub throw the ball to the 25? Then on the next series being on the 4 and again having a 20 yard pass play. Then in OT on the 1 again calling a passing play intended to go about 15 yards. Quite the shell there.

Damn, you beat me to it. I'm pretty sure that Kubiak doesn't get any more conservative backed up against his goal than most other coaches.

JamesBill
09-02-2011, 08:34 PM
trindon is fast but he runs right into defensive players.

Rey
09-02-2011, 09:11 PM
trindon is fast but he runs right into defensive players.

I disagree.

Trindon does a decent job of eluding tacklers with even minimal blocking.

The pass he caught yesterday over the middle of the field in the two minute was a perfect example of that. He absolutely left two guys who had him right in their reach and had it not been for a third defender he looked like he could have made something happen.

If we cut trindon I think someone will pick him up pretty fast and he will go on to make big plays for them.

Malloy
09-03-2011, 02:39 AM
I disagree.

Trindon does a decent job of eluding tacklers with even minimal blocking.

The pass he caught yesterday over the middle of the field in the two minute was a perfect example of that. He absolutely left two guys who had him right in their reach and had it not been for a third defender he looked like he could have made something happen.

If we cut trindon I think someone will pick him up pretty fast and he will go on to make big plays for them.

That play was a thing of beauty, it really showcased his ability to evade defenders.