PDA

View Full Version : I guess Kubiak isn't happy with our WR's??

texanfan2002114
08-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Saw this on twitter and if someone already posted this please move it mods.

@B_Johnson80
Bryant Johnson

#HelloGoodMorning. At the airport (ATL) headed to Houston for a workout with the Texans

Bryant Johnson - WR

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6353/career;_ylt=Ao1mYEwQGDiu9b_ZUceUw5z.uLYF

Errant Hothy
08-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Could make a servicable 4th WR, since nobody seems to be stepping up and taking the job during the pre-season.

HOU-TEX
08-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Is it just me, or is anyone else still trying to figure out why we re-signed Jacoby? He's about as unreliable as you can get imo. I understand there have been some tough throws his way, but the WR is a skill position. Skill positions are supposed to make plays. His tiny stone hands aren't going to cut it. I know it's difficult to find things to ***** about offensively, but it drives me nuts watching him drop ball after ball

I don't blame them for bringing players in. Imo, we need improvement from the #3-5.

michaelm
08-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Hou-Tex,

IMO, one of the most important attributes that Kubiak wants in his receivers is knowledge of the system. This offense relies heavily on reads, and it is important for the WR to see the same defense, make the correct read, and run the route that the QB expects him to run. Many, if not most routes we run have options based on reads made at the line of scrimmage. That, to me, is the number one reason that Kubiak wants continuity on offense, and also why our young receivers have a hard time getting on the field.
Kubiak has to really trust a receivers knowledge of the system before he gets much playing time.

DX-TEX
08-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Maybe he can get his #80 here.:kitten:

Errant Hothy
08-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Is it just me, or is anyone else still trying to figure out why we re-signed Jacoby? He's about as unreliable as you can get imo. I understand there have been some tough throws his way, but the WR is a skill position. Skill positions are supposed to make plays. His tiny stone hands aren't going to cut it. I know it's difficult to find things to ***** about offensively, but it drives me nuts watching him drop ball after ball

I don't blame them for bringing players in. Imo, we need improvement from the #3-5.

Yes, JJ's hands are a bit questionable; but there is one thing he does for this offense; he stretched the field vertically. Even if there is a chance of him dropping the pass, CBs have to stay with JJ when he goes deep opening things up for AJ, OD and Foster underneath.

Just becasue JJ is the #3 WR does not mean he is the third pass catching option. And the 4th WR is even further down the list.

False Start
08-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Maybe he can get his #80 here.:kitten:

I remember that whole thing with Jerry Rice when he went to SF. :wadepalm:

b0ng
08-29-2011, 11:12 AM
Probably a sign that the UDFAs aren't impressing in practice/games like they were hoping.

Dutchrudder
08-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Who the heck is Bryant Johnson??

ChampionTexan
08-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Who the heck is Bryant Johnson??

Bryant Johnson (http://www.nfl.com/player/bryantjohnson/2505656/profile)

steelbtexan
08-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Hopefully they sign one of the Packers WR's when they get cut. They are very deep at WR. West and Gurley are massive upgrades over any WR on the Texans not named AJ. They are also upgrades on ST's.

Bryant Johnson stinks

XI CMURDER IX
08-29-2011, 11:35 AM
He was a decent receiver in his days a San Fran and Detroit. Just needs a quarterback and maybe he can be a 4th on the depth chart. Could play outside on some downs.

Marcus
08-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Ok, so what the hell happened to LeStar Jean?

Thorn
08-29-2011, 11:38 AM

Or Dorian Dickerson?

XI CMURDER IX
08-29-2011, 11:38 AM

Injury bug struck again. I think they are going to try to stash him on the practice squad.

Marcus
08-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Or Dorin Dickerson?

I thought Dickerson had the 4th position locked down in the final 53.

Thorn
08-29-2011, 11:47 AM
I thought Dickerson had the 4th position locked down in the final 53.

Good then. I have high hopes that this guy will be a starter someday, and do real well for us.

sandman
08-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Hopefully they sign one of the Packers WR's when they get cut. They are very deep at WR. West and Gurley are massive upgrades over any WR on the Texans not named AJ. They are also upgrades on ST's.

Bryant Johnson stinks

West, as in the WR from Fresno State that has never caught a single pass in a real NFL game?

From NFL.com:

Pick Analysis: West is a good-sized receiver with very average speed who knows how to run routes and set up defenders. He does a good job of gaining a step of separation at this level with his crisp routes and little head-and-shoulder fakes, but he will struggle at the next level. He builds to speed and does not show a big burst coming out of his break and won't be much of a threat down the seam in the NFL. He does a good job of reading coverages and finding the soft spots in zones and is a natural receiver. He can adjust to slightly off-target throws and has a wide receiving radius.

And Gurley? A rookie from South Carolina?

Pick Analysis: Gurley is a wide receiver in a tight end's body that could develop into a quality reserve at the next level. He is not exactly fast, but he is a long strider that can stretch the field down the seam. He uses his great length to make catches even when he is covered, but he does not have reliable hands. He also is a bit stiff in the hips and lacks the fluidity to get open in man coverage. Gurley is tough kid that seeks out contact as a blocker and works the middle of the field which makes him an attractive later round prospect.

Seriously, these guys would be equivalent to Dickerson and Jean on the Texans, but you presume that they would be a "massive" upgrade over Walter, who has averaged 60 catches and 750 yards over the last four seasons??

Wolf6151
08-29-2011, 02:05 PM
I think it's very difficult for any of the WR's (Jean, Tolliver, Dickerson, Maehl, etc...) to distinguish themselves when they play with the #2 or #3 QB's who don't seem to throw the ball down the field. Leinart seems to be checking down to the RB quickly, this may also be the fault of the backup O-line not giving good protection.

steelbtexan
08-29-2011, 02:08 PM
West, as in the WR from Fresno State that has never caught a single pass in a real NFL game?

From NFL.com:

Pick Analysis: West is a good-sized receiver with very average speed who knows how to run routes and set up defenders. He does a good job of gaining a step of separation at this level with his crisp routes and little head-and-shoulder fakes, but he will struggle at the next level. He builds to speed and does not show a big burst coming out of his break and won't be much of a threat down the seam in the NFL. He does a good job of reading coverages and finding the soft spots in zones and is a natural receiver. He can adjust to slightly off-target throws and has a wide receiving radius.

And Gurley? A rookie from South Carolina?

Pick Analysis: Gurley is a wide receiver in a tight end's body that could develop into a quality reserve at the next level. He is not exactly fast, but he is a long strider that can stretch the field down the seam. He uses his great length to make catches even when he is covered, but he does not have reliable hands. He also is a bit stiff in the hips and lacks the fluidity to get open in man coverage. Gurley is tough kid that seeks out contact as a blocker and works the middle of the field which makes him an attractive later round prospect.

Seriously, these guys would be equivalent to Dickerson and Jean on the Texans, but you presume that they would be a "massive" upgrade over Walter, who has averaged 60 catches and 750 yards over the last four seasons??

West didn't look slow returning a kickoff for a touchdown. Or catching a 95 yd TD. Gurley is a really good gunner on ST's.

They upgrade ST's and have shown more potential at WR than Dickerson, Maehl etc....

Do you just read scouting reports and not watch games? And no I'm not a Walter fan. He's just a bigger DA. IMHO You cant win big with KW as your @ 2 WR.

sandman
08-29-2011, 02:15 PM
West didn't look slow returning a kickoff for a touchdown. Or catching a 95 yd TD. Gurley is a really good gunner on ST's.

They upgrade ST's and have shown have potential at WR than Dickerson, Maehl etc....

Oh, I'll admit a level of disappointment in the WR's fighting for those 4/5 spots. Lots of talent and potential there that just doesn't seem to be translating into games. Bringing others in at this stage of the game to press them is not a bad idea.

I was simply taking umbrage to your statement that these two players were massive upgrades over Walter and JJ, based on the play of a few pre-season games.

Did you know that Walter and JJ had almost the EXACT same production as the SB-winning Green Bay 2/3 receivers? So how are these two rookies not better than Driver and James Jones (based on your hoping they get cut), but massive upgrades over Walter and JJ?

steelbtexan
08-29-2011, 02:27 PM
Driver was hurt and didn't play a full season like Walter and JJ. So the numbers are a bit skewed. I like Walter as a # 3 or 4 WR. Just not as a #2.

I'm not really comparing West and Gurley to KW and JJ. Although with experience they could be better. IMHO (Not this yr.) But they bring more to the table as # 4-5 WR's than Jean/Maehl/Tolliver because of ST value. IMHO

Playoffs
08-29-2011, 02:40 PM
Hmmm ..... this surprises me. And I think we're past the point of it "sending a message".

Brandon420tx
08-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Dickerson, and the UDFA's haven't really been a factor these preseason games, and that's probably the reason

TimeKiller
08-29-2011, 03:05 PM

I still am. Dude has hands like granite. And as far as catching passes goes, it's all about hand/eye co-ordination. I garauntee you two things 1 my hands are smaller than JJ's 2 I have better hands than JJ.

And the MYTH about him being a vertical spacer for the offense is dumb. They rely on short passes and zone runs. He can't catch short passes and he's not a back. Soooooo.........way to run fast down the field every 10th play? Good job, at least you didn't drop anything. Except Al Davis' jaw....

Hou-Tex,

IMO, one of the most important attributes that Kubiak wants in his receivers is knowledge of the system. This offense relies heavily on reads, and it is important for the WR to see the same defense, make the correct read, and run the route that the QB expects him to run. Many, if not most routes we run have options based on reads made at the line of scrimmage. That, to me, is the number one reason that Kubiak wants continuity on offense, and also why our young receivers have a hard time getting on the field.
Kubiak has to really trust a receivers knowledge of the system before he gets much playing time.

If it were that big of a deal, David Anderson is probably still on this team....

michaelm
08-29-2011, 03:15 PM
If it were that big of a deal, David Anderson is probably still on this team....

Unless Kubiak believes that Dickerson knows the offense good enough, but has more upside.

It's obviously not a case of a player knowing the offense, excluding any other attribute.
That's not what I was suggesting. Dickerson hasn't seen the field very much, and I don't think it's because the staff doubts his ability. I think Kubiak just wanted him to know the scheme better.

David Anderson was a bottle rocket that had long since reached it's zenith (and a low one at that).
As soon as Kubiak thought Dickerson was ready from a playbook perspective, his potential overshadowed anything DA could bring to the table.

sandman
08-29-2011, 04:19 PM
way to run fast down the field every 10th play? Good job, at least you didn't drop anything. Except Al Davis' jaw....

I LOL'd.

BigBull17
08-29-2011, 07:51 PM
@McClain_on_NFL: Texans agreed to terms with WR Bryant Johnson

Not bad. I'd still skim the wavier wire after the last round of cuts.

srrono
08-29-2011, 08:00 PM
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Former Lions WR Bryant Johnson signed a 1-year contract with the Texans.

Lucky
08-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Um, OK. Interesting factoid: Bryant Johnson as never had a 100+ yard receiving game in his 8 season career.

redwhiteANDblue
08-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Um, OK. Interesting factoid: Bryant Johnson as never had a 100+ yard receiving game in his 8 season career.

Who were his Qbs?

TexanSam
08-29-2011, 08:24 PM
So who's on the bubble of getting cut? Looks like either Dickerson or Lestar Jean won't be making the team.

The Pencil Neck
08-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Kubes was serious about not liking the production from the WRs.

DocBar
08-29-2011, 08:30 PM

He never had Scwhuab throwing to him!!!!:breakdance:

Nawzer
08-29-2011, 08:31 PM
I've always thought Bryant Johnson was a solid NFL receiver. He may have had a better career were he not playing behind Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin in Arizona. I think this is a solid add to the team. Not only should we expect to see either Lestar Jean or Dorin Dickerson get cut, but if I'm Jacoby Jones I'm a bit worried.

Lucky
08-29-2011, 08:32 PM
Who were his Qbs?
You have to have a Pro Bowl QB to get a 100 receiving yards once? AJ had 13 100+ games with David Carr as his QB.

A fringe player who's in the mix for a fringe (4th/5th WR) position.

PHAROAH
08-29-2011, 08:35 PM
He is better than Jacoby Jones & Kevin Walters.

DocBar
08-29-2011, 08:35 PM
I've always thought Bryant Johnson was a solid NFL receiver. He may have had a better career were he not playing behind Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin in Arizona. I think this is a solid add to the team. Not only should we expect to see either Lestar Jean or Dorin Dickerson get cut, but if I'm Jacoby Jones I'm a bit worried.I noticed you didn't mention Steve Breaston. He had a 1,000 yd season with both Fitz and Boldin on the team.

Trail.Blazr
08-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Detroit fans dubbed him Drop-timus Prime... Not too many tears being shed from the motor city that I can tell.

OzzO
08-29-2011, 08:41 PM
Well, that was quick. Didn't he just tweet (twit?) the other day he was flying to talk with the Texans? Kubiak was asked about bringing a player in on 610 this afternoon and he mentioned that is was kinda "quiet" and no names were mentioned.

Nawzer
08-29-2011, 08:41 PM
I noticed you didn't mention Steve Breaston. He had a 1,000 yd season with both Fitz and Boldin on the team.

That's why I said he's a solid receiver not anything special. Not that getting 1000 yds receiving automatically makes you special, but he's a vet who gives us a nice insurance policy should anything happen to our starting 3.

Lucky
08-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Good lord. Squared.

Brisco_County
08-29-2011, 08:52 PM
I don't think Kevin Waters is the problem, but Jacob Jones and Dorian Dickson haven't lived up to expectations.

kiwitexansfan
08-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Detroit fans dubbed him Drop-timus Prime... Not too many tears being shed from the motor city that I can tell.

REP to Lions fan, that is funny!!

DocBar
08-29-2011, 08:57 PM
That's why I said he's a solid receiver not anything special. Not that getting 1000 yds receiving automatically makes you special, but he's a vet who gives us a nice insurance policy should anything happen to our starting 3.ummmm...ok. Put me in the unimpressed group.

IBleedTexans
08-29-2011, 08:57 PM
I don't think Kevin Waters is the problem, but Jacob Jones and Dorian Dickson haven't lived up to expectations.

Dont forget about Matt Shwab and Owen Daniel .

Nawzer
08-29-2011, 08:58 PM
ummmm...ok. Put me in the unimpressed group.

Ok.

Big Lou
08-29-2011, 09:07 PM

Better than KW, really. I'm not letting that one slide by.

K Dub is a solid WR, he stays on the field, blocks, and catches almost everything thrown his way. AJ's had some good years with 83 on the otherwise of the field.

Pantherstang84
08-29-2011, 09:11 PM
So who's on the bubble of getting cut? Looks like either Dickerson or Lestar Jean won't be making the team.
Maybe we are finally getting rid of Jacoby Jones. :kitten:

disaacks3
08-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Detroit fans dubbed him Drop-timus Prime... Not too many tears being shed from the motor city that I can tell. Lovely nickname...sounds worse than Jacoby.

Dont forget about Matt Shwab and Owen Daniel . Hey, according to Ch 13 coverage Owen Daniel had a great TD catch. :vincepalm:

Pantherstang84
08-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Lovely nickname...soounds worse than Jacoby.

Hey, according to Ch 13 coverage Owen Daniel had a great TD catch. :vincepalm:

But did you see the 30 tard field goal attempt?

GP
08-29-2011, 09:40 PM
This is how a coach tells his WRs that they better win their jobs.

He's going to put Jacoby, Jean, Darling, Dickerson, and Bryant Johnson into the frying pan Thursday night. See who cooks and see who burns.

Although I can't see how Bryant Johnson would even have time to prepare in order to play Thursday night????

Perki-Perk
08-29-2011, 09:42 PM
So we have Plan A. Johnson and Plan B. Johnson now!

beerlover
08-29-2011, 10:09 PM
This says more about lesson learned last season when they went with youth movement in the seconday. Texans/Kubiak prefer experience over raw talent because for the first time winning means saving their job's. Probably a good sign but it's going to be tough watching them down the road with another team. Paramount Texans get over the hump:firework:

thunderkyss
08-29-2011, 10:16 PM
Can he play TE?

Texan_Bill
08-29-2011, 10:18 PM

WooooHooooooooooo!!! That's awesome!!!!

Rey
08-29-2011, 10:23 PM
I don't think he's making the team.

Texan_Bill
08-29-2011, 10:30 PM
Can he play TE?

:lol: Yeah, because we don't have enough TE's!! :turtle:

CloakNNNdagger
08-29-2011, 10:39 PM
This is how a coach tells his WRs that they better win their jobs.

He's going to put Jacoby, Jean, Darling, Dickerson, and Bryant Johnson into the frying pan Thursday night. See who cooks and see who burns.

Although I can't see how Bryant Johnson would even have time to prepare in order to play Thursday night????

The Texans are working out an injury settlement with Darling after he sustained an knee injury. Shortly thereafter, he will be released.

CloakNNNdagger
08-29-2011, 10:52 PM

The only positive I can see the Texans would see in him would be his 6'3" height. But the stats on this site (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/tag/_/name/bryant-johnson) re. Bryant is pretty scarey. We could essentially have our own Roy Williams.

ArlingtonTexan
08-29-2011, 11:06 PM

He is veteran that will make the late round WRs and rookie UDFAs bet out a guy who at least figured out how to stay in the NFL a while. He is a minor threat to either Walter or Jones.

Vinnie
08-29-2011, 11:10 PM
Any chance we can bring David Anderson back instead? :runaway:

edo783
08-29-2011, 11:17 PM
We could essentially have our own Roy Williams.

Now THAT'S comforting. Feeling Much better now.

Lucky
08-29-2011, 11:50 PM
Any chance we can bring David Anderson back instead? :runaway:
Actually, yes. There's probably a 50% chance he's cut from the Broncos. None of the young WRs stepped up, so he could end up in a Texan uniform again.

Shaft75
08-30-2011, 12:05 AM
So I guess we all need to purchase new ANDRE Johnson jerseys to conform? I just checked my battle red and steel blue jerseys and they don't have an A.

Fml

SteveSlaton20
08-30-2011, 12:12 AM
Better than KW, really. I'm not letting that one slide by.

K Dub is a solid WR, he stays on the field, blocks, and catches almost everything thrown his way. AJ's had some good years with 83 on the otherwise of the field.

Kevin had one of the least drop percentage rate, while JJ had a very high drop percentage rate.

House of Pain
08-30-2011, 01:33 AM
Dont forget about Matt Shwab and Owen Daniel .

Neither one of them are even close to a Grover Quinn

beerlover
08-30-2011, 04:00 AM
Neither one of them are even close to a Grover Quinn

Quin :vincepalm:

leebigeztx
08-30-2011, 08:17 AM
Should've signed edwards once his value dropped in the toilet. Say what u will about braylon, but with a sorry sanchez, he was almost 20 per catch on 50 grabs and 9 tds.

drunkcookie
08-30-2011, 08:59 AM
Should've signed edwards once his value dropped in the toilet. Say what u will about braylon, but with a sorry sanchez, he was almost 20 per catch on 50 grabs and 9 tds.

I dunno what the price was, or if the Texans could have even swung it, but I agree that Edwards could have been big here... would have loved to see it...

b0ng
08-30-2011, 10:03 AM
I'll be a little surprised if he makes the 53, be more surprised if he has double digit receptions this year.

Perki-Perk
08-30-2011, 10:10 AM
So I guess we all need to purchase new ANDRE Johnson jerseys to conform? I just checked my battle red and steel blue jerseys and they don't have an A.

Fml

See, if you would have ordered them off of the Chinese website I got them from, they would have an "A" on them. That worked out nicely for me!

If you have a Johnson 80 jersey, there's only ever been one Johnson #80 on the Texans. Also, think of the jerseys you already have as, "vintage".

Perki-Perk
08-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Quin :vincepalm:

What!? Lol! You didn't notice he was playing off of the Shwab and Daniel comment?? Come on beerlover, put down the brew for a second!:toropalm:

BigBull17
08-30-2011, 10:32 AM
Actually, yes. There's probably a 50% chance he's cut from the Broncos. None of the young WRs stepped up, so he could end up in a Texan uniform again.

Ugh. Please no David Anderson.

Kevin had one of the least drop percentage rate, while JJ had a very high drop percentage rate.

JJ's drop percentage wasn't really that high. Not sure on the number but lets see...5.1% (4 drops/78 targets). Thats not that bad. It isnt a great thing, but could be worse. He is also a threat to take it to the house.

HOU-TEX
08-30-2011, 11:03 AM

JJ's drop percentage wasn't really that high. Not sure on the number but lets see...5.1% (4 drops/78 targets). Thats not that bad. It isnt a great thing, but could be worse. He is also a threat to take it to the house.

Why? Dude was about as solid as you can get. Found ways to get open and caught darn near everything that came his way. I'd bring DA back in a heartbeat.

That said, we still need a legit #3. IMO, JJ is not the answer.

BigBull17
08-30-2011, 11:19 AM
Why? Dude was about as solid as you can get. Found ways to get open and caught darn near everything that came his way. I'd bring DA back in a heartbeat.

That said, we still need a legit #3. IMO, JJ is not the answer.

If David Anderson is a receiver on your team, you have a major hole. He is small, slow, and not real agile. He cant get speeration, can't use his body to shield himself from a defender, and cant out run or out jump people. He could be no better than 5th on our depth chart, and Ill take a burner with questionable hands to his 100-300 yards a season. Just not worth the roster spot.

81 receptions in 61 games at 14 yards a game is NOT solid.

silvrhand
08-30-2011, 11:25 AM

It's the timing of the drops that's the big deal, they are game changers. IMHO we need a true #2 receiver, can we get a mike wallace anyone?

BigBull17
08-30-2011, 11:39 AM
It's the timing of the drops that's the big deal, they are game changers. IMHO we need a true #2 receiver, can we get a mike wallace anyone?

I agree he has untimly drops, just saying people act like he drops everything thrown at him. We need a 2, just don't know who would be good. I'm still not too sold on Edwards.

hookinreds
08-30-2011, 11:53 AM
They should leave AJ as Johnson and have the other as B. Johnson. So now we are going to hear them called AJ and....BJ? :baby:

HOU-TEX
08-30-2011, 12:55 PM
If David Anderson is a receiver on your team, you have a major hole. He is small, slow, and not real agile. He cant get speeration, can't use his body to shield himself from a defender, and cant out run or out jump people. He could be no better than 5th on our depth chart, and Ill take a burner with questionable hands to his 100-300 yards a season. Just not worth the roster spot.

81 receptions in 61 games at 14 yards a game is NOT solid.

Like I said, we'd still need another WR as our #3. I'm not saying DA would be taking the place of our WR3. As a #4 or 5 he was just fine. Of all the things you listed, he was still able to find ways to get open and get us much needed 1st downs.

We disagree, no worries.

SAMURAITEXAN
08-30-2011, 01:13 PM
They should leave AJ as Johnson and have the other as B. Johnson. So now we are going to hear them called AJ and....BJ? :baby:

Ha ha! We already got JJ too you know. Now, we only need letter from CJ to IJ to complete in alphabetic order from AJ to JJ.

Go Texans!!!

Malloy
08-30-2011, 04:10 PM
So we have Plan A. Johnson and Plan B. Johnson now!

Johnsons all around!

uhm... :=)

Thorn
08-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Does this mean the Texans have their Johnsons in hand?

The Pencil Neck
08-30-2011, 05:06 PM

Yes. And their Johnson's are big.

leebigeztx
08-30-2011, 06:17 PM
I dunno what the price was, or if the Texans could have even swung it, but I agree that Edwards could have been big here... would have loved to see it...

He signed for 1m dollars plus incentives. My whole point was get a guy who could whip #2 cb or could be #1 if johnson gets hurt or gimpy. The texans have neither and schaub needs that kind of guy to dictate coverage to open windows. They struggle when teams take aj away and force matt to use the other guys who aren't gamebreakers. To me, edwards could've pushed walters and jones down to their rightful depth. Those guys wouldn't be #2 on any other team in the league except for teams like jacksonville.

Vinny
08-30-2011, 06:49 PM
When Bryant Johnson was drafted he was a size/speed prospect but never really saw his potential. He should be a good blocker though. He was always physical....kinda like a bigger more physical Corey Bradford.

ObsiWan
08-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Ha ha! We already got JJ too you know. Now, we only need letter from CJ to IJ to complete in alphabetic order from AJ to JJ.

Go Texans!!!

Johnsons all around!

uhm... :=)

Yes. And their Johnson's are big.

Stop.
Just stop it right now.

:kubepalm:

michaelm
08-30-2011, 11:17 PM
Stop.
Just stop it right now.

Hey, you're the one who rounded up all of those quotes in a single post. Way to go, man...

:kitten:

TexanBacker93
08-31-2011, 08:57 AM
Could make a servicable 4th WR, since nobody seems to be stepping up and taking the job during the pre-season.

They should have been rotating some of these receivers in to play with Schaub. Yates only got into the end of the last 2 games and didn't get much opportunity to throw. The receivers playing with Leinart had no chance to showcase their abilities. I know there are other things they do besides catch the ball, but I don't recall a lot of targets for Dickerson in the times he's been on the field.

pirbroke
08-31-2011, 09:14 AM
I think Trindon Holliday will be cut this year, and when he does how many days will it take for Oakland Raiders to pick him up? My bet is less than 24 hours.

SAMURAITEXAN
08-31-2011, 11:21 PM
Stop.
Just stop it right now.

ObsiWan, come to think of it, we do have TJ(QB) too you know. I can see Vandermeer having a hard time doing play by play. TJ screen pass to BJ, oh nice block by IJ, BJ fumbles the ball and JJ,AJ,DJ going after the ball and DJ got it! Oh wait it was AJ. Nice recovery AJ!!:smiliepalm:

Go Texans!!!

El Tejano
09-01-2011, 01:29 AM
When Bryant Johnson was drafted he was a size/speed prospect but never really saw his potential. He should be a good blocker though. He was always physical....kinda like a bigger more physical Corey Bradford.

Welcome back Vinny!!! Where you been man?

ObsiWan
09-01-2011, 01:52 AM
ObsiWan, come to think of it, we do have TJ(QB) too you know. I can see Vandermeer having a hard time doing play by play. TJ screen pass to BJ, oh nice block by IJ, BJ fumbles the ball and JJ,AJ,DJ going after the ball and DJ got it! Oh wait it was AJ. Nice recovery AJ!!:smiliepalm:

Go Texans!!!

You forgot the "Rock and Roooll!!"
:D

burro
09-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Yes, JJ's hands are a bit questionable; but there is one thing he does for this offense; he stretched the field vertically. Even if there is a chance of him dropping the pass, CBs have to stay with JJ when he goes deep opening things up for AJ, OD and Foster underneath.

Just becasue JJ is the #3 WR does not mean he is the third pass catching option. And the 4th WR is even further down the list.

Bryant Johnson is a speed guy who can stretch the field as well. TBH, I don't see what JJ brings to the field that BJ (teehee!) doesn't. I swear, every time that I see JJ sprinting down the field I am reminded of that Necessary Roughness movie ("Don't throw it to stone hands!"), except JJ never gets miraculously better and saves the day.

DocBar
09-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Bryant Johnson is a speed guy who can stretch the field as well. TBH, I don't see what JJ brings to the field that BJ (teehee!) doesn't. I swear, every time that I see JJ sprinting down the field I am reminded of that Necessary Roughness movie ("Don't throw it to stone hands!"), except JJ never gets miraculously better and saves the day.I see JJ making some very acrobatic plays and dropping some very catchable passes. That's what drives me insane with him. I see it as a lack of concentration and commitment to his craft. With his speed, if he would just make all of the normal catches, his stats could be through the roof.

Hardcore Texan
09-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Or Dorin Dickerson?

Good then. I have high hopes that this guy will be a starter someday, and do real well for us.

I agree. I think he has a break out year this season!

thunderkyss
09-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Bryant Johnson is a speed guy who can stretch the field as well. TBH, I don't see what JJ brings to the field that BJ (teehee!) doesn't. I swear, every time that I see JJ sprinting down the field I am reminded of that Necessary Roughness movie ("Don't throw it to stone hands!"), except JJ never gets miraculously better and saves the day.

Never?

What short memories we have.

burro
09-01-2011, 08:24 PM
I see JJ making some very acrobatic plays and dropping some very catchable passes. That's what drives me insane with him. I see it as a lack of concentration and commitment to his craft. With his speed, if he would just make all of the normal catches, his stats could be through the roof.

You're probably right, but after four seasons I've lost hope of him improving in any sort of timely manner. He's too unreliable to warrant starting when there is better talent on the roster, which I think there is with this addition.

DocBar
09-01-2011, 08:37 PM
You're probably right, but after four seasons I've lost hope of him improving in any sort of timely manner. He's too unreliable to warrant starting when there is better talent on the roster, which I think there is with this addition.Please don't take that as an endorsement of JJ. I'd have been happy if they'd let him go. I'm tired of being disappointed by him.

burro
09-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Please don't take that as an endorsement of JJ. I'd have been happy if they'd let him go. I'm tired of being disappointed by him.

Agreed. It's a shame that his trade value is practically nil now that the word is out on him. There is nothing more worthless in the NFL than a WR that can't catch the ball.

Texan_Bill
09-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Ya know, it's one thing to have AJ!!! But a BJ.... :thinking:..... That could be good too!

DocBar
09-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Ya know, it's one thing to have AJ!!! But a BJ.... :thinking:..... That could be good too!It's all about gag reflex...

CloakNNNdagger
09-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Our new returner and WR on Holliday!

DocBar
09-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Our new returner and WR on Holliday!You really think so? BTW, what is your take on AF's mri?

El Tejano
09-01-2011, 09:41 PM

I agree man. When he's been in there (and I'm going back to last preseason) he's shown his flashes.

badboy
09-01-2011, 09:53 PM
WRs are very disappointing so far. I say go with AJ, Walter and JJ; put whoever you want on PS and make up the plays with TEs. Graham is catching everything within reach.
OD, Dreesen, Graham and Casey as FB/TE
Think I'd rather see Aj, Walter and two TEs.
If we have to have a 4th WR Bryant Johnson.

MEGA SWATT
09-01-2011, 10:09 PM
It's all about gag reflex...

Isn't that for the girl to worry about?:spit::kubepalm::worm:

badboy
09-01-2011, 10:32 PM
8 minutes left in game and DD pulls one into his gut and has it taken away..sheesh.

cj5776
09-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Does anyone think Maehl has a chance to make the roster, as the number 5 over DD?

The Pencil Neck
09-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Dorin Dickerson looks like he's gone:

Well it was fun while it lasted houston. Gonna miss my teammates and you great fans!
-- scorindorin

RagingBull
09-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Don't forget Randy Moss is still out there...:vincepalm:

b0ng
09-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Bet this team takes a hard look at guys the Packers and possibly the Eagles cut. Should be some talent at the WR spot coming from those two spots.

ObsiWan
09-02-2011, 02:07 PM

Another Jacoby Jones-type experiment.
...hope it works

:texflag:

edo783
09-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Does anyone think Maehl has a chance to make the roster, as the number 5 over DD?

Made the PS. Might get a chance yet this year, but more likely next year to make the 53.