PDA

View Full Version : Foster says he’ll be ready for week 1, calls some fantasy owners ‘sick’

Pages : [1] 2

Wolf
08-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Houston Texans running back Arian Foster(notes) has a message to all those people sincerely concerned about the hamstring injury he's been suffering through during training camp. He has a separate message for those sincerely concerned about how said hamstring injury will affect their fantasy football teams.

Last year's top-rated fantasy back Tweeted a message to both parties this weekend stating his intention to play week 1 of the NFL season despite the ailment:

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/40/40f1bba93730fb5cbd59cd2d8141fe03/foster_says_hell_be_ready_for_week_calls_some_fant asy_owners_sick.jpg

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Foster-says-he-8217-ll-be-ready-for-week-1-cal?urn=nfl-wp6042

Yankee_In_TX
08-28-2011, 02:24 PM
I hope it is tongue-in-cheek, cause fantasy directly and indirectly = money in his pocket.

badboy
08-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Nothing wrong with the man speaking about people who see him only as a piece of meat.

Lucky
08-28-2011, 02:38 PM
I hope it is tongue-in-cheek, cause fantasy directly and indirectly = money in his pocket.
I don't see it as knocking FF in general. Just those fans who are only concerned about his injury because of FF. One of the drawbacks of Twitter is nuance. As a reader, you're left to determine intent and tone. One of the reasons that I don't go to Twitter much.

Yankee_In_TX
08-28-2011, 02:43 PM
I don't see it as knocking FF in general. Just those fans who are only concerned about his injury because of FF. One of the drawbacks of Twitter is nuance. As a reader, you're left to determine intent and tone. One of the reasons that I don't go to Twitter much.

I don't even have a twitter account :)

drunkcookie
08-28-2011, 02:43 PM
You can kinda see where Foster's coming from, but everyone is "sick" in that business... It's not about how you are, it's how you effect the team, whether it be a fantasy team or actual football team...

Lucky
08-28-2011, 02:44 PM
I don't even have a twitter account :)
I've never tweeted. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

GP
08-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Arian showing a bit of immaturity or lack of discernment there.

He wastes Internet ink to call certain people "sick."

I like to watch movies because the acting and the plot make me interested in the movie itself. I don't like Matt Damon's politics, nor Sean Penn's either, for example, but I like to watch movies they are in (Mystic River, Bourne Identity, etc.) If I see Matt Damon get a pie in the face by a random hater, I chuckle. Does that make me "sick" to see Matt Damon get one to the kisser? Nope.

Arian needs to realize that he can't be the Thought Police and project his own morals onto random fans out there. He exists as entertainment, for those watching (us, for example) and those who draft him in FFLs. It's only natural that FFL players are going to wring their hands and deliberate over his status.

This is where Twitter, to me, is a bit dangerous. Like Lucky said, this era of social media is tricky. It's like being able to say whatever you want but people get to interpret it how they want. In the end, what you say on social media can be disastrous of you handled wrongly...even on accident.

This is why I firmly believe that NFL teams are going to have to come out with some sort of policy that is written into a player's contract and enforced through payroll deductions and/or suspensions without pay, etc. If teams are not already planning to hire Social Media Coaches, and implementing the plan by holding mini-seminars within team facilities for all players to attend on a mandatory basis, they should be. It's a new element, a new dimension, added on top of everybody's shoulders...and it could have negative fallout if a player botches it in the heat of the moment.

Marcus
08-28-2011, 03:02 PM
I don't tweet either, and probably never will. I totally agree with his opinion of the fantasy football crowd, irrespective of "nuance and tone".

As for his hamstring . . .

GP
08-28-2011, 03:15 PM
I don't tweet either, and probably never will. I totally agree with his opinion of the fantasy football crowd, irrespective of "nuance and tone".

As for his hamstring . . .

Well, considering your age...I'd say your attitude/opinion about Twitter and FFL is rooted in your generation's ideals.

There'll come a day in 20 years when I find the newest "thing" to be absurd or shallow, too, I'm sure.

It goes without saying, right?

Arian can be something special if he doesn't let his mental image of himself get in the way. That's what I sometimes think about: Could Arian Foster someday lose touch with the sense of reality that's around him...to the point that he throws his hands up and tells "the system" to eff off?

Too much attention given to introspection can make a person lose touch with the world around him. At the end of the day, we're all breathing the same oxygen, taking the same Advil, eating the same foods, etc. He's coming off a bit preachy and a bit "above the crowd" for my taste. Which is fine, until he takes it to an extreme and tries to find the limits of it.

Yada, yada, yada....

Ckw
08-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Well, considering your age...I'd say your attitude/opinion about Twitter and FFL is rooted in your generation's ideals.

There'll come a day in 20 years when I find the newest "thing" to be absurd or shallow, too, I'm sure.

It goes without saying, right?

Arian can be something special if he doesn't let his mental image of himself get in the way. That's what I sometimes think about: Could Arian Foster someday lose touch with the sense of reality that's around him...to the point that he throws his hands up and tells "the system" to eff off?

Too much attention given to introspection can make a person lose touch with the world around him. At the end of the day, we're all breathing the same oxygen, taking the same Advil, eating the same foods, etc. He's coming off a bit preachy and a bit "above the crowd" for my taste. Which is fine, until he takes it to an extreme and tries to find the limits of it.

Yada, yada, yada....

I really think the guy was kidding. He constantly is saying stuff tongue-in-cheek, and I think this is another one of those instances.

ultimatepaki
08-28-2011, 04:21 PM
Colin Cowherd on his twitter:
'We really do care about you as a human too. Um,now about that hammy?
--signed, everybody

Arian's reply on twitter:
Did you want to be a critic as a child? Or did your dreams die with your humility? RT @ESPN_Colin

http://twitter.com/#!/ArianFoster/status/107902300542087170

Nice response Arian

Brisco_County
08-28-2011, 04:31 PM
He wasn't being tongue and cheek. The injury is really upsetting him, and he's finding the fantasy football impact to be irritating.

If you've read interviews with Foster, you can see signs that he is an emotional guy who consciously tries to remain cool and zen about everything. He's also young and idealistic, so he'll have a tendency to see things in black and white.

XI CMURDER IX
08-28-2011, 04:33 PM
That is why I don't play fantasy football as much anymore, it is too hard to balance that with actually caring about the players you root for! Nice response by Foster though.

DocBar
08-28-2011, 04:38 PM

I like to watch movies because the acting and the plot make me interested in the movie itself. I don't like Matt Damon's politics, nor Sean Penn's either, for example, but I like to watch movies they are in (Mystic River, Bourne Identity, etc.) If I see Matt Damon get a pie in the face by a random hater, I chuckle. Does that make me "sick" to see Matt Damon get one to the kisser? Nope.

Arian needs to realize that he can't be the Thought Police and project his own morals onto random fans out there. He exists as entertainment, for those watching (us, for example) and those who draft him in FFLs. It's only natural that FFL players are going to wring their hands and deliberate over his status.

This is where Twitter, to me, is a bit dangerous. Like Lucky said, this era of social media is tricky. It's like being able to say whatever you want but people get to interpret it how they want. In the end, what you say on social media can be disastrous of you handled wrongly...even on accident.

This is why I firmly believe that NFL teams are going to have to come out with some sort of policy that is written into a player's contract and enforced through payroll deductions and/or suspensions without pay, etc. If teams are not already planning to hire Social Media Coaches, and implementing the plan by holding mini-seminars within team facilities for all players to attend on a mandatory basis, they should be. It's a new element, a new dimension, added on top of everybody's shoulders...and it could have negative fallout if a player botches it in the heat of the moment.Wow. You have quite an opinion on this. I didn't see anything wrong with what he twatted. It certainly isn't scandalous and I doubt he gets a visit with Goodell over it.

Brisco_County
08-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Colin Cowherd on his twitter:
'We really do care about you as a human too. Um,now about that hammy?
--signed, everybody

Arian's reply on twitter:
Did you want to be a critic as a child? Or did your dreams die with your humility? RT @ESPN_Colin

http://twitter.com/#!/ArianFoster/status/107902300542087170

Nice response Arian

It's an immature response. Cowherd, media, and everyone else is justified in asking a professional athlete about his injury. Real football and fantasy are a business. Welcome to the big leagues, kid.

thunderkyss
08-28-2011, 04:42 PM
Nothing wrong with the man speaking about people who see him only as a piece of meat.

We all see him as a piece of meat.

some of us are concerned for our fantasy team.

some of us are concerned about our favorite franchise.

some of us are concerned about marketing opportunities.

Very few of us are worried about him as a person.

XI CMURDER IX
08-28-2011, 04:48 PM
It's an immature response. Cowherd, media, and everyone else is justified in asking a professional athlete about his injury. Real football and fantasy are a business. Welcome to the big leagues, kid.

I think what he said went right over your head. Just throwing that out there. He was defending himself as a professional athlete, and not downing Cowherd.

ArlingtonTexan
08-28-2011, 04:48 PM

Very good posting here. We care about players/entertainers/public figure based on what they can do for us. Nothing more, nothing less.

Rey
08-28-2011, 04:51 PM

This.

Which is why I don't understand why fans get mad at players for holding out or when they make other unpopular monetary decisions.

Brisco_County
08-28-2011, 04:54 PM
I think what he said went right over your head. Just throwing that out there. He was defending himself as a professional athlete, and not downing Cowherd.

Can you point out what I'm missing?

"Did you want to be a critic as a child? Or did your dreams die with your humility?"

Looks to me like he's calling Cowherd an arrogant sellout for asking about the injury.

ChampionTexan
08-28-2011, 05:06 PM
Can you point out what I'm missing?

"Did you want to be a critic as a child? Or did your dreams die with your humility?"

Looks to me like he's calling Cowherd an arrogant sellout for asking about the injury.

I like Cowherd, but I think his comment was a bit childish (and not the part asking about his injury, but the snotty little part about everyone caring about him as a Human Being).

That said, a pair of Rabbit Ears isn't going to do anything good for Arian. Even if you're in the right - never let them think they got to you.

Brisco_County
08-28-2011, 05:20 PM
I like Cowherd, but I think his comment was a bit childish (and not the part asking about his injury, but the snotty little part about everyone caring about him as a Human Being).

That said, a pair of Rabbit Ears isn't going to do anything good for Arian. Even if you're in the right - never let them think they got to you.

Exactly. The correct response is to not say anything. If I felt my career was the slightest bit threatened by an injury, and people only contacted me out of concern for their fantasy team, I'd be rightly pissed. But that's the business, you're an entertainer, and you have to keep that in perspective.

I don't defend Cowherd much nowdays because his shtick has become obnoxious as the "controversial" slayer of straw man myths, but I do think he was halfway sincere.

fiasco west
08-28-2011, 05:25 PM

Personally not me. I hope Arian is rewarded because he could have done what every other player would have and held out this season. Instead he's on a undrafted contract and is willing to prove himself another year and I hope he gets the payday he deserves. Whether it's the Texans paying him or not.

In fact I would not be angry at all if Andre after another non-playoff season said "I've done all I can here, I gotta go." I would applaud the guy and root for him in the future and I've seen others here say the same thing so it looks like people do care about guys like Andre. They want him to win even if it meant not being on their favorite team.

I think fans care about athletes more than they let on. Especially the great ones like...Hakeem and Earl. Not that they care about these players compared to loved ones, but a piece of meat is like saying if Arian was shot no one would give a second thought of it and go 'Ah well..'

GP
08-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Wow. You have quite an opinion on this. I didn't see anything wrong with what he twatted. It certainly isn't scandalous and I doubt he gets a visit with Goodell over it.

Read the following quotes, and you'll see more of what I said in my own post.

I don't see anything wrong with what he said, either. Nor do I think it's punishable. But even though something is permissible doesn't mean it is beneficial (a famous philosopher once said this, and I agree with it). He's saying people are sick for being worried about what HE thinks is an inconsequential side-effect of his injury...and in his wisdom he fails to understand that outside of his football exploits, nobody would give a rat's patootie about his philosophical musings.

That's were pseudo-intellectualism fails. It tries to give off the appearance of wisdom but it rarely does anything more than create new questions and problems. I feel like these athletes need to remember that they, too, are "just humans" and need to remember that when tweeting. Arian is proving to be a bit of a blowhard and sarcastic twit if you ask me.

Like I said: "What happens when he takes his personality to an extreme and just up and decides one day that he wants to make a space ship out of spaghetti and wear cotton candy overalls while riding to Zeon IV with other anti-establishment types?"

I fear this guy is going to one day snap or just go Ricky Williams on us. Remember guys: Arian didn't get drafted, and the rap on him was that he was a bit of a tough case to handle.

In no way am I saying he is bad right now. Just looking down the road a bit, at least a bit further than this season (since we're all focused on what happens only a week from now or so).

Is this series of tweets by Arian a sign of future problems that might grow bigger as time moves on? Especially if he gains more acclaim? Just wondering aloud here.

Very good posting here. We care about players/entertainers/public figure based on what they can do for us. Nothing more, nothing less.

This.

Which is why I don't understand why fans get mad at players for holding out or when they make other unpopular monetary decisions.

Ckw
08-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Personally not me. I hope Arian is rewarded because he could have done what every other player would have and held out this season. Instead he's on a undrafted contract and is willing to prove himself another year and I hope he gets the payday he deserves. Whether it's the Texans paying him or not.

In fact I would not be angry at all if Andre after another non-playoff season said "I've done all I can here, I gotta go." I would applaud the guy and root for him in the future and I've seen others here say the same thing so it looks like people do care about guys like Andre. They want him to win even if it meant not being on their favorite team.

I think fans care about athletes more than they let on. Especially the great ones like...Hakeem and Earl. Not that they care about these players compared to loved ones, but a piece of meat is like saying if Arian was shot no one would give a second thought of it and go 'Ah well..'

Exactly. People need to remember how Carl Landry was treated both before and after he was shot. I truly believe many fans both care for the athlete and the person.

Mr. White
08-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Arian's got a lot riding on this season. He's got pressure from coaches, media, Texans fans, fantasy owners, and himself to duplicate last years results. Not to mention, he's playing for a new contract.

I agree with his comment even though I think Cowherd's response was humorous. I don't think Arian should have responded to Cowherd, because he just gave him about an hour's worth of radio material. The difference here is that this is serious business to Arian and schtick for Cowherd.

Like it or not, fantasy is another aspect of the game just like Madden or gambling is. Players would be smart to follow MJD's lead and embrace that aspect of the game.

Not to mention, any Foster owner that didn't get Ben Tate for insurance only has himself to blame.

ATXtexanfan
08-28-2011, 05:35 PM
i must be a sicko using the top pick on him. no problems with his comments.

DocBar
08-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Read the following quotes, and you'll see more of what I said in my own post.

I don't see anything wrong with what he said, either. Nor do I think it's punishable. But even though something is permissible doesn't mean it is beneficial (a famous philosopher once said this, and I agree with it). He's saying people are sick for being worried about what HE thinks is an inconsequential side-effect of his injury...and in his wisdom he fails to understand that outside of his football exploits, nobody would give a rat's patootie about his philosophical musings.

That's were pseudo-intellectualism fails. It tries to give off the appearance of wisdom but it rarely does anything more than create new questions and problems. I feel like these athletes need to remember that they, too, are "just humans" and need to remember that when tweeting. Arian is proving to be a bit of a blowhard and sarcastic twit if you ask me.

Like I said: "What happens when he takes his personality to an extreme and just up and decides one day that he wants to make a space ship out of spaghetti and wear cotton candy overalls while riding to Zeon IV with other anti-establishment types?"

I fear this guy is going to one day snap or just go Ricky Williams on us. Remember guys: Arian didn't get drafted, and the rap on him was that he was a bit of a tough case to handle.

In no way am I saying he is bad right now. Just looking down the road a bit, at least a bit further than this season (since we're all focused on what happens only a week from now or so).

Is this series of tweets by Arian a sign of future problems that might grow bigger as time moves on? Especially if he gains more acclaim? Just wondering aloud here.Like I said, you've got quite an opinion on this. I wasn't being sarcastic or condescending with that. I don't think it was the brighest thing he could've tweeted, but like you said, he's a bit of a twit(ter).

Mr. White
08-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Here's the latest one.

@ArianFoster
Arian Foster
I know opinions are usually cement. But, I love all my fans. My quarrel is with people who value a digital game over a humans health. #love

Rey
08-28-2011, 05:42 PM

"especially the great ones" pretty much sums it up.

If Arian wasnt a good football player capable of bringing them joy on the field people wouldn't be as concerned with his hamstring.

Generally speaking, People would not care about Arians injury if he was just some guy.

Look at slaton. As soon as he falls out of grace people are quick to talk negatively about him. When he was the guy his injuries were a big deal. Now since he isn't, you hardly hear a peep about him.

fiasco west
08-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Exactly. People need to remember how Carl Landry was treated both before and after he was shot. I truly believe many fans both care for the athlete and the person.

Especially for a guy like Landry, even now Rocket fans root for the guy and wish him the best.

Not to mention, any Foster owner that didn't get Ben Tate for insurance only has himself to blame.

Watch Ward get more carries than Tate. It sure seems that way with how Kubiak played the 3rd pre-season game. Maybe he just wanted to see more of Ward though.

GP
08-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Exactly. The correct response is to not say anything. If I felt my career was the slightest bit threatened by an injury, and people only contacted me out of concern for their fantasy team, I'd be rightly pissed. But that's the business, you're an entertainer, and you have to keep that in perspective.

I don't defend Cowherd much nowdays because his shtick has become obnoxious as the "controversial" slayer of straw man myths, but I do think he was halfway sincere.

Have never been a Cowherd fan.

He is snooty and just rubs me the wrong way. I can't put my finger on it, but I just could never get into his radio show. Before he came on, Tony Kornheiser was in that time slot, and I actually enjoyed his radio show...it was very conversational and often drifted over into details about people's personal lives which I found humorous. Though I am sure a lot of people on here didn't (and still don't) like the guy much. LOL.

If I had to choose, I'd go with Tony over Cowherd.

Rey
08-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Especially for a guy like Landry, even now Rocket fans root for the guy and wish him the best.

That's because Landry was a good player for us that maximized his ability.

I dont see any rocket fans swooning over Bobby sura.

MEGA SWATT
08-28-2011, 05:50 PM
He voiced his opinion, right or wrong, and that's it. Let's move on. :vincepalm:

DocBar
08-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Here's (http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/view/22475988/1?mcctag=Houston%20Texans) a blog report on it.

GP
08-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Like I said, you've got quite an opinion on this. I wasn't being sarcastic or condescending with that. I don't think it was the brighest thing he could've tweeted, but like you said, he's a bit of a twit(ter).

My major in college: Public Relations and Advertising. My 11+ years of employment also centered (mostly) upon the field of P.R. and Advertising.

My post-grad major was Organizational Communication, but I dropped out after one semester due to being married, my wife expecting a child at the end of the semester, and being the only bread-winner in the family. I made $25K-per-year and just had to focus on the job and let go of night school (I'm a puss, I know. LOL). I finished out the first semester (had a night class Mon night and one on Wed. night--3 hours each night).

I get passionate about communication. I feel teams should be doing a lot to inform these young guys about proper uses of Social Media, and even establishing a contractual situation with them if they abuse it and cause damage to the franchise's image/brand.

Social Media training for athletes of major sports teams will one day be as common as sexual harassment training is in the corporate world. Bank on it. You heard it here FIRST! LOL.

Allstar
08-28-2011, 05:53 PM
There's some pretty mean-spirited people on twitter and the internet as a whole. Arian probably got some "You better not ruin my FF season with your stupid hammy" messages (only a lot more vulgar).

GP
08-28-2011, 05:55 PM
The poster named cland gave me negative rep.

He said to me, in the rep comments section "Arian called bullshit, on overly opinionated idiots. Funny that you took offense."

Wow. LOL. First neg rep in like...forever? Funny stuff.

Arian, Mr. cland, is guilty of doing that which he condemns. But he feels he has some moral high-horse to sit upon. His horse is shetland pony, by the way.

He takes himself way too seriously. He's reminding me of Ali who would make bizarre statements and say cryptic things to the media, trying to establish himself as this philosophical magic man or something. For me, it's growing old. But I will dang sure keep rooting for him to tot that rock, and I guess that makes me "sick" in his mind.

See what I mean? He's looking down on people with this stuff, and it grates on people. Maybe not much right now, but over time, it could begin to wear thin with more people. We'll see.

#1 thing to remember: Arian is a Texans running back and we want him to succeed. Period.

fiasco west
08-28-2011, 05:59 PM
"especially the great ones" pretty much sums it up.

If Arian wasnt a good football player capable of bringing them joy on the field people wouldn't be as concerned with his hamstring.

Generally speaking, People would not care about Arians injury if he was just some guy.

Look at slaton. As soon as he falls out of grace people are quick to talk negatively about him. When he was the guy his injuries were a big deal. Now since he isn't, you hardly hear a peep about him.

It's not always the great ones though, People are least like to care about a guy that's going to be on the team one year and then get cut. Which is normal. If you know you're going to spend 1 month or so working with someone you're least like to care compared to the guy you've been working with. I think people care about guys thats been with the team for a while although they may not be that good. Sometimes fans start to love these bench players look at Brian Scalabrine, in basketball and baseball it really helps that people see their faces a lot. Football there are SOOOOO many guys you really don't care about #96 that just came in for preseason that's probably going to get cut UNLESS he makes himself noticeable.

Also I recall some here hoping Slaton get his chance, so I think that some people would at least like to see the guy get a shot. Even though it looks like he's been replaced no one is wishing bad luck on the guy or have forgot him. Okoye wasn't a good player and didn't live up to the hype, I'll say it always but he's a good guy that seems to not have football at the top of his priorities which is okay but I'll still keep a eye on him and hope he does well.

I think the term piece of meat specifically indicates that once a guy moves on from a team that people just stop caring completely for that guy. Which I really don't see as true.

That's because Landry was a good player for us that maximized his ability.

I dont see any rocket fans swooning over Bobby sura.

Yet people still remember who Sura is and what he did for the team. There were still threads on players like Sura when they were traded and even some guys over on clutchfans complain that Morey treats his players like piece o meats because he's always calling them 'Assets'

I'm not denying that skill doesn't have anything to do with it. But if it just flashed on the news that Sura was killed you're saying no one would care? That's what that term indicates, that once a player is off the team or has no value to the fan (fantasy etc) than that fan will immediately stop caring for that player.

DocBar
08-28-2011, 06:03 PM
My major in college: Public Relations and Advertising. My 11+ years of employment also centered (mostly) upon the field of P.R. and Advertising.

My post-grad major was Organizational Communication, but I dropped out after one semester due to being married, my wife expecting a child at the end of the semester, and being the only bread-winner in the family. I made $25K-per-year and just had to focus on the job and let go of night school (I'm a puss, I know. LOL). I finished out the first semester (had a night class Mon night and one on Wed. night--3 hours each night).

I get passionate about communication. I feel teams should be doing a lot to inform these young guys about proper uses of Social Media, and even establishing a contractual situation with them if they abuse it and cause damage to the franchise's image/brand.

Social Media training for athletes of major sports teams will one day be as common as sexual harassment training is in the corporate world. Bank on it. You heard it here FIRST! LOL.Maybe this could be a startup business for you? You should draw up a plan and pitch it to the league. Of course, 10% of all earnings should go to the guy who suggested it to you....

He said to me, in the rep comments section "Arian called bullshit, on overly opinionated idiots. Funny that you took offense."

Arian, Mr. cland, is guilty of doing that which he condemns. But he feels he has some moral high-horse to sit upon. His horse is shetland pony, by the way.

He takes himself way too seriously. He's reminding me of Ali who would make bizarre statements and say cryptic things to the media, trying to establish himself as this philosophical magic man or something. For me, it's growing old. But I will dang sure keep rooting for him to tot that rock, and I guess that makes me "sick" in his mind.

See what I mean? He's looking down on people with this stuff, and it grates on people. Maybe not much right now, but over time, it could begin to wear thin with more people. We'll see.

#1 thing to remember: Arian is a Texans running back and we want him to succeed. Period.If you're gonne neg rep, you should at least have the stones to post up in the thread and state your beef where everyone can see it. That's just chicken shiznit.

Rey
08-28-2011, 06:07 PM
It's not always the great ones though, People are least like to care about a guy that's going to be on the team one year and then get cut. Which is normal. If you know you're going to spend 1 month or so working with someone you're least like to care compared to the guy you've been working with. I think people care about guys thats been with the team for a while although they may not be that good.

Like petty faggins?

I hear what you are saying, but my point is that the level of interest a fan shows in a player mostly correlates to how well they perform on the field.

We dont know most of them on a personal level, so their performance is all we have to go off of.

Even with sura and scalabrine they played their roles well. They hustle.

These are performance related attributes. And I'm not saying that folks wish bad things on players, I'm just saying that the better the player is the more fans tend to care.

Dutchrudder
08-28-2011, 06:10 PM
It's a freaking hamstring! It's not like the guy has cancer. Arian is really blowing this out of proportion for no good reason. Yes people are concerned about his ability to play, because if it weren't for his ability to play, nobody would care about him.

fiasco west
08-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Like petty faggins?

I hear what you are saying, but my point is that the level of interest a fan shows in a player mostly correlates to how well they perform on the field.

We dont know most of them on a personal level, so their performance is all we have to go off of.

Even with sura and scalabrine they played their roles well. They hustle.

These are performance related attributes. And I'm not saying that folks wish bad things on players, I'm just saying that the better the player is the more fans tend to care.

Heh yeah it is performance related because I think it is more how memorable that person is as a player. Faggins was memorable because he was really really bad. In football you don't really remember a lot of these guys if they don't make plays because they are just a helmet and a number. Good players in the NFL get noticed though and stick on the team and you start to know a Tim Jamison or a McCain. You know that #50 is Braman and maybe read how he got to the NFL and start to root for him to make the team. All these guys made plays this preseason so yeah it is performance related.

I'm just saying that people care more about players than just 'Oh that guy is not on my team anymore so I don't give a flip what happens to him'

If Braman was cut and another team picked him up I'm sure there will be a thread about it.

IlliniJen
08-28-2011, 06:41 PM
Cowherd should get a kick in the jimmy.

cland
08-28-2011, 06:43 PM

#1 thing to remember: Arian is a Texans running back and we want him to succeed. Period.

I sent it is as rep as to not call GP out in public, but certainly stand by the opinion expressed. I think it was silly to call a player out who has already established through his words, his touchdown celebrations, and his actions that he's trying to be successful as a man AND a player. I think he's been successful, but I'll defer to Arian's latest twitter comment:

ArianFoster Arian Foster
I know opinions are usually cement. But, I love all my fans. My quarrel is with people who value a digital game over a humans health. #love

thunderkyss
08-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Be careful guys, I here Foster's girlfriend posts on this board..... I think her name is gland or something like that.

cland
08-28-2011, 06:53 PM
That they're weres a strong point.

Yankee_In_TX
08-28-2011, 07:28 PM

Arian......is that you??

Yankee_In_TX
08-28-2011, 07:32 PM
It's a freaking hamstring! It's not like the guy has cancer. Arian is really blowing this out of proportion for no good reason. Yes people are concerned about his ability to play, because if it weren't for his ability to play, nobody outside his friends and family would care about him.

fixed it and /thread

BetaV1
08-28-2011, 07:34 PM
First and foremost, I disagree with Foster here about fantasy football owners being "sick." Nobody is putting their game ahead of his "life," I think Foster is missing the idea that large portion of the people who drafted him are his fans, and fantasy football makes more fans for him. Like any game, people want to win. There are a portion of us who do NOT want Manning to play in week 1 because we want to win. Does that mean we want Peyton Manning to die or even be injured? This is a terrible slippery slope.

BullNation4Life
08-28-2011, 08:06 PM

This is why I firmly believe that NFL teams are going to have to come out with some sort of policy that is written into a player's contract and enforced through payroll deductions and/or suspensions without pay, etc. If teams are not already planning to hire Social Media Coaches, and implementing the plan by holding mini-seminars within team facilities for all players to attend on a mandatory basis, they should be. It's a new element, a new dimension, added on top of everybody's shoulders...and it could have negative fallout if a player botches it in the heat of the moment.

Arian Foster is absolutely right. ANYBODY more concerned about how their fantasy team will shape up rather the direct concern of an individual's well being after and injury is "sick" an need to get their priorities in check.

Wasn't a thing wrong with what he said, truth hurts....

Texanmike02
08-28-2011, 08:08 PM
So wait. Let me get this straight. A guy is hurt, physically hurt mind you, and he is frustrated that there are people out there who only care about the number of yards/td/recs he gets them in their fantasy league? Is it that he tweeted it? I used to play the hell out of fantasy sports. I don't have time now but I used to but I can see where he would be frustrated that there are people out there who only care about his yards/carries. I mean sure, my concern for him is because he's a Texan and kind of self serving but I don't think he minds that. Fans of a football team have a certain connection with their players... fantasy owners don't. If he were to have some sort of personal tragedy (knock on wood) the pouring out from Texans fans would be huge... letters would flock in from all over the place... Do you think that his fantasy fans do that? No, they go looking to the waiver wire for Tate/Ward.

I like what he said, and I like his response to CC. This guy may now be my favorite Texan.

Mike

P.S. where's his mom? Someone tell her its safe to come out that nobody is criticizing her son's play now lol!

drunkcookie
08-28-2011, 08:12 PM
I don't think his tweets are that big of a deal or even that controversial, but I'll say I disagree with him here...

cuppacoffee
08-28-2011, 08:20 PM
I've never tweeted. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

As long as it's between consenting adults.

Peoples preferences along this line is their business.

:coffee:

TheMatrix31
08-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Shut up Arian. Honestly just shut up, heal up, and kick ass. That's all you need to do man. It's a hamstring. You didn't tear your ACL, you didn't shoot yourself like Plaxico, it's a tweaked hamstring. Rest up and own the Colts, and the rest of the league.

I got annoyed with the philosphical stuff about him and expresed it last year, and was slammed for it. This is why I don't like it. He's getting too involved with this nonsense. Distraction.

Texan_Bill
08-28-2011, 08:47 PM
I only read the OP, so forgive me.. Arian Foster is spot on. A) He'll be ready and B) Fantasy Football is taken too seriously. It used to be fun, but now it's on the side of ridiculous!!

GlassHalfFull
08-28-2011, 09:00 PM
I only read the OP, so forgive me.. Arian Foster is spot on. A) He'll be ready and B) Fantasy Football is taken too seriously. It used to be fun, but now it's on the side of ridiculous!!

I'm with Bill on this one. :glasshalffull:

I can certainly understand why Arian is frustrated with the fantasy people.

gtexan02
08-28-2011, 09:03 PM
Ah, the internet. Where people can share whatever opinion they want and others can obsess about what it means.

The guy isn't holding out, he isn't getting arrested, he isn't doing anything really...except producing. Sheesh lets just let him be himself

Yankee_In_TX
08-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Arian Foster is absolutely right. ANYBODY more concerned about how their fantasy team will shape up rather the direct concern of an individual's well being after and injury is "sick" an need to get their priorities in check.

Wasn't a thing wrong with what he said, truth hurts....

...errrrrr and how many people on here are concerned about his injury because he is a Texan and how many people on here are concerned with his injury because he is a human being?

I think that's the point people are making. I don't think you can't call out fantasy owners without backhanding his non-fantasy playing fans (all of us ) :kitten:

Hervoyel
08-28-2011, 09:23 PM
I've never seen the point of fantasy football. I get everything I want out of watching football and keeping up with a couple of teams. I don't want it to become an individual player sport. I think it's perfect the way it is as a team sport. Stats are fun but meaningless to me if the teams I wanted to see win didn't. I don't understand where the fun is in just tallying up unrelated points from a bunch of players on different teams.

Dutchrudder
08-28-2011, 09:25 PM
fixed it and /thread

Ok, well yeah, I was speaking more to the general public. :)

Just for the hell of it, suppose something bad happened to Foster that caused him to lose some of his speed, vision, quickness and reliability. Would you still care as much about him much while he's fighting for RB #4s spot on the roster? If you said yes, please tell me how you feel about Slaton right now.

DocBar
08-28-2011, 09:26 PM
I've never seen the point of fantasy football. I get everything I want out of watching football and keeping up with a couple of teams. I don't want it to become an individual player sport. I think it's perfect the way it is as a team sport. Stats are fun but meaningless to me if the teams I wanted to see win didn't. I don't understand where the fun is in just tallying up unrelated points from a bunch of players on different teams.I tried it, but I'm waaaay too much of a :homer: I also can't root for some players because they play for a team I absolutely hate.

Dutchrudder
08-28-2011, 09:28 PM
I tried it, but I'm waaaay too much of a :homer: I also can't root for some players because they play for a team I absolutely hate.

I have been playing FF for 3 years and have never drafted a Cowboy :D

Allstar
08-28-2011, 09:35 PM
I tried it, but I'm waaaay too much of a :homer: I also can't root for some players because they play for a team I absolutely hate.

Passed on CJ2K last year for MJD for that reason.

GP
08-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Just for the record, I wasn't offended by what Arian tweeted.

I am sort of sitting here wondering how a guy, an NFL player, can get on Social Media (which is, by the way, a very impersonal form of "relationship" to begin with) and call out people who have a similarly impersonal connection to him (via Fantasy Football). It's comical to me.

Has this crossed anybody else's mind? LOL.

This is why I said Arian is getting too caught up in what the perceptions are, even if he says he doesn't care. Bullshit. He cares. Or he would deactivate his twitter account and protest it like a real man (or ignore the negative stuff). Instead, he's in the thick of it and cries "Foul ball!" when he sees the ugly side of social media on display.

For a guy who espouses "zen" thinking, he sure has thin skin.

The more I witness professional athletes broadcast their own news items about themselves, the more I wish they could only be heard when Cameraman Jim from Channel 10 shoves a mic into their face after a game. The cliche stuff is beginning to look good all of a sudden.

Allstar
08-28-2011, 09:37 PM

I am sort of sitting here wondering how a guy, an NFL player, can get on Social Media (which is, by the way, a very impersonal form of "relationship" to begin with) and call out people who have a similarly impersonal connection to him (via Fantasy Football). It's comical to me.

This is why I said Arian is getting too caught up in what the perceptions are, even if he says he doesn't care. Bullshit. He cares. Or he would deactivate his twitter account and protest it like a real man (or ignore the negative stuff). Instead, he's in the thick of it and cries "Foul ball!" when he sees the ugly side of social media on display.

I get what you're saying, but there is no doubt in my mind that Arian had some nasty comments flung his way about wrecking people's fantasy teams and whatnot. He was most likely singling those mean-spirited individuals out.

GP
08-28-2011, 09:42 PM
I get what you're saying, but there is no doubt in my mind that Arian had some nasty comments flung his way about wrecking people's fantasy teams and whatnot. He was most likely singling those mean-spirited individuals out.

Because we all know that a proper scolding over the Internets is what transforms all those nasties and makes them good people all of a sudden, right?

Not aiming that at you, just saying it in broad terms. Rhetorical question stuff.

Wag a finger and people will stop being jerks. Honk the horn and they'l stop cutting people off in traffic. It doesn't work that way.

That's the only reason, the singular reason, I stated that I sort of don't follow his line of thinking. But hey, he's human too. I just hope he doesn't carry this onward and make it bigger as the games go by and he gets a rise out of his broadcasting messages on social media. I don't want him going goofy on us.

DocBar
08-28-2011, 09:50 PM
I have been playing FF for 3 years and have never drafted a Cowboy :D

Passed on CJ2K last year for MJD for that reason.I carry a grudge to the hilt. I hate Pittsburgh, Dallas, the other 3 AFC South teams and the Giants(not really sure why). I'm starting to hate the Jets, too. I would hate Cinci and Cleveland too, because they were in the old AFC Central, but that's just wrong. Allstar, how could you draft MJD? He is the enemy!!! I want fail every time he touches the ball. I do like his FF stuff, though. The guy knows his football.

Vinnie
08-28-2011, 09:53 PM
I don't want him going goofy on us.

This has been Kubiak's biggest problem with Arian from the time Rick Smith brought him in. After those last few games of '09 I asked a guy I know who knows the program a little bit and asked "why haven't we seen more of this Foster guy, he looks good!" his response "**** 'em he's a knucklehead". :vincepalm:

DocBar
08-28-2011, 09:58 PM
This has been Kubiak's biggest problem with Arian from the time Rick Smith brought him in. After those last few games of '09 I asked a guy I know who knows the program a little bit and asked "why haven't we seen more of this Foster guy, he looks good!" his response "**** 'em he's a knucklehead". :vincepalm:With the way he runs the ball, he can be as knuckleheaded as he wants to be. Does Foster do some kind of weird crap I don't know about? Yes, he's a bit different, but he doesn't seem to be different in a malicious or self-destructive manner. I hope he can Zen us to half as many NFL titles as that NBA Zen master, Phil Jackson, has won in the NBA.

Pantherstang84
08-28-2011, 10:04 PM
I've never seen the point of fantasy football. I get everything I want out of watching football and keeping up with a couple of teams. I don't want it to become an individual player sport. I think it's perfect the way it is as a team sport. Stats are fun but meaningless to me if the teams I wanted to see win didn't. I don't understand where the fun is in just tallying up unrelated points from a bunch of players on different teams.

Ditto.

Brisco_County
08-28-2011, 10:46 PM

It's all about trash talk, which is very important to the male bonding experience.

fiasco west
08-28-2011, 10:49 PM

People put money into these leagues, whether it is everyone puts in money to get in or what. So that makes it all the more meaningful.

Which does make me wonder since some players do the fantasy thing too...

GP
08-28-2011, 11:15 PM
I sent it is as rep as to not call GP out in public, but certainly stand by the opinion expressed. I think it was silly to call a player out who has already established through his words, his touchdown celebrations, and his actions that he's trying to be successful as a man AND a player. I think he's been successful, but I'll defer to Arian's latest twitter comment:

Do you know what neg rep is used for here? Do you???

It's not to be used when you disagree with someone. It's purpose is that it's handed out to people like YOU who act like you did. It's for people who have bad decision making skills and a lack of restraint in their treatment of others.

But enough lecturing. I'm beginning to approach Foster Tweet Level here. And I don't want to be preachy. Just know that your neg rep points were negated by another poster on here who Paid It Forward and gave me points...in fact, you only increased my rep points in the end.

If you doubt my explanation of how rep is assigned and when it's to be used, just ask any of the other several hundred posters on here who have been here for years and know how it works. Not a'lying to ya' on this one.

Hey man, like....just be "zen" and let it be. What happens will happen, and everything will like be totally taken cared of when the universe rights itself.

(My attempt at humor, to lighten the mood a bit)

Corrosion
08-28-2011, 11:25 PM
His health .... Vs your fantasy team .... wonder which one really matters more.

I think people forget that this guy is playing for what amounts just over the league minimum .... for the team and for the fans .... but hey , he's just a cluster of pixels on your Madden screen.

Rey
08-28-2011, 11:51 PM

I think people forget that this guy is playing for what amounts just over the league minimum .... for the team and for the fans .... but hey , he's just a cluster of pixels on your Madden screen.

Excellent points.

No he doesn't have cancer, but his health is everything to him right now.

kcdoubleeagle
08-29-2011, 12:35 AM
Ehh...Whatever...I still picked him first in my league tonight.

BetaV1
08-29-2011, 01:11 AM
Excellent points.

No he doesn't have cancer, but his health is everything to him right now.

But is his health important to him for the sake of his team or himself? As much as Arian and some posters here want think he's merely exhibiting a sense of morals that somehow surpasses ours, we do not know what is driving the man so hard at the moment. Is he so determined to get back on the field to help his team? Very likely. But we'd all be lying to ourselves if we believed Arian isn't trying to get his payday. He knows every snap he sits out is less money in his pocket, especially with Tate handling the ball as well as he is. This kind of motivation could just as easily be denounced as sick, selfish, and the like. Yet we're suppose to act like all is pure with #23.

I consider myself a fairly avid fantasy football player. I play in quite a few pools too. And Foster being injured affects a lot of how I bet, as he is a very important player to this team. I'm worried about my money just as much as he is likely worried about his. If that's so shameful to him that he feels there's something mentally wrong with me, then pfft, whatever.

Make no mistake, if Andre or Schaub made such a comment, I'd blast them too. It's an idiotic comment to make. Come to think of it, I don't recall Andre and Matt ever making such a comment when they were battling their respective injuries. Why is that? I appreciate Arian not holding out this year and wish his speedy recovery. He still, however, needs to learn that the term "professional athlete" consists of two words, not just the latter.

silvrhand
08-29-2011, 03:35 AM

He's making 525k this year, that's a rather large chunk of money at once, that most of us would take 8-12 years to make. He's just showing the fact that Arian still seems to be very immature and does not understand the business of football and all things associated with it.

Personally if it was me, I just wouldn't even hate a twitter/facebook account during the season it would just lead to undue stress/issues. Cause no matter how great you do someone will have something negative to say to try to get you down.

TheMatrix31
08-29-2011, 05:49 AM

The more I witness professional athletes broadcast their own news items about themselves, the more I wish they could only be heard when Cameraman Jim from Channel 10 shoves a mic into their face after a game. The cliche stuff is beginning to look good all of a sudden.

Nailed it. Usually the people who spout the philosophical Zen crap are the thinnest-skinned of all, despite what they present themselves as.

Again, just gotta shut up and play football.

Perki-Perk
08-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Man, I've seen some ludacrous (spelling? ever since that rapper that goes by the same name, but spells it quite differently, I can't seem to remember how to spell it. However, in the time it took me to write this excuse I could have looked it up already ;)) comments on here regarding something that overall doesn't matter and doesn't really effect your life as some of you say you don't even use twitter. I use it to get some kind of insight into what my players (Rockets, Texans, Stros) are up to as far as training or even every day life.

How do any of you actually know he meant sick in a negative connotation? Maybe he was joking, maybe he was frustrated about his hamstring. We'll never know, but there in lies the problem with a lot of things today. Too quick to judge. However, this is not a philosophical forum or a board to teach people life skills. That's up to your parents. I can't believe this made it 5 pages and is pretty much a non story except for Foster expecting to be ready on September 11.

Blake
08-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Well, some fantasy owners are sick. Wrapped up in this game like it is life. Arian needs to get over the fact that some only care about him for his stats each week. Others, like us Texans fans, truly care about his well being besides what he does on Sundays.

thunderkyss
08-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Well, some fantasy owners are sick. Wrapped up in this game like it is life. Arian needs to get over the fact that some only care about him for his stats each week. Others, like us Texans fans, truly care about his well being besides what he does on Sundays.

If he wasn't a Texan, we couldn't care less about his well being. In fact, the only reason we care about his well being is that he gives us the best chance to win...... when he is on the field.

He's meat. Nothing more, nothing less. If he weren't wearing a Texans' Jersey on Sundays (Mondays, Thursdays, Saturdays, whatever the case may be) I wouldn't (& You wouldn't) give him two thoughts unless he was playing for the other team.

Then we'd be hoping that Hammy turns into something worse.

Señor Stan
08-29-2011, 11:56 AM
What is everyone getting so worked up about...I mean..like...Madden 12 ratings are already locked in, right???

Marcus
08-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Does anyone remember Duane Thomas? The one who called Tom Landry a "plastic man"? Foster reminds me of him.

Fantastic.....for a short time....not particularly fast..not huge......but he had a knack for shedding tacklers.....guys seemed to slide off him. But he definately marched to a different drummer.

GP has a good point. It's not really about this issue with the tweet about "sick FFers" It's about what he's going to do next. He's motivated in the short term because he wants a new contract. But would we end up regretting it if they did?

Dutchrudder
08-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Does anyone remember Duane Thomas? The one who called Tom Landry a "plastic man"? Foster reminds me of him.

Fantastic.....for a short time....not particularly fast..not huge......but he had a knack for shedding tacklers.....guys seemed to slide off him. But he definately marched to a different drummer.

GP has a good point. It's not really about this issue with the tweet about "sick FFers" It's about what he's going to do next. He's motivated in the short term because he wants a new contract. But would we end up regretting it if they did?

I really don't think he's going to go all Albert Haynesworth on us. He does seem internally motivated to me, but also very naturally talented. I think the only thing that will derail his career is aging or injury. He's just too driven to let himself slack off.

fiasco west
08-29-2011, 03:43 PM
If he wasn't a Texan, I couldn't care less about his well being. In fact, the only reason I care about his well being is that he gives us the best chance to win...... when he is on the field.

He's meat. Nothing more, nothing less. If he weren't wearing a Texans' Jersey on Sundays (Mondays, Thursdays, Saturdays, whatever the case may be) I wouldn't give him two thoughts unless he was playing for the other team.

Then I'd be hoping that Hammy turns into something worse.

Fixed it for you.

Ckw
08-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed by the number of Texans fans willing to just hate on our star running back so quickly. The guy is understandably down that he is dealing with this recurrent injury in the most important season of his ENTIRE LIFE and has probably received some pretty crappy tweets dissing him because of his health because of what it might do to their fantasy teams. I would honestly be a little pissed too.

Does he need to have better control of himself and his emotions? Yes. But I'm not about to turn my back on our team's starting running back simply because he made a stupid comment. The guy has put his ass on the line by being willing to play this season and not hold out for a bigger contract. It would have been completely understandable if he did. This is why, IMO, ALL NFL contracts should be incentive laden. That way if you are the star free agent that does nothing, you get paid like you are nothing. And if you are an undrafted free agent that everyone though would suck but turned into a star, you should receive bonuses that pay you like a star. I'm not saying give the guy a new contract. But how about a bonus of a few million dollars for leading the league in rushing and being the only consistently good player on our team last year (since AJ was hurt).

This is just par for the course for Houston fans. Love the players when they are doing everything right but hate on them the second they do one thing you don't agree with.

TexMexMom
08-29-2011, 04:02 PM
This thing is funny....in some ways funny ha ha and in others, funny strange. I guess it just depends on where you're looking from.

I didn't read this whole thread, so forgive me if I'm missing something but a few responses that caught my eye about Arian "losing touch with reality" or "thinking too highly of himself". Those are laughable if you really know Arian but I also don't expect everyone TO know him. The thing about Arian was touched on by someone who apparently does follow him on Twitter. He tends to be sarcastic. In that medium, it's hard to discern. We all should get that.

What I know about Arian is this. He is a very thoughtful, thought provoking young man. He likes to be challenged in thought and he likes TO challenge. That's interesting to him. Status quo is not. He's bored easily by "normal" but he doesn't go out of his way to be abnormal. He is just him and that, like his running style, is always fluid, always changing. He is a compassionate man for sure.

What I like most about Arian is his sense of humor and his joyfulness. He has always been that way, even as a young child and it hasn't changed. His joy and his peace is what's most important to him. But hilarious? That guy is funny as all get out. But of course, nobody would know that if they don't know him. I think you can get a taste of it through some of his tweets.

Bottom line, Arian is not "bothered" or "threatened" by anyone taking carries from him. He never has measured himself by another's performance. He works to be the best that HE can be.

Is he frustrated by his injury? Certainly...he's anxious, he wants to get out there and prior to the first hammy pull, he said he's never felt better...faster. So of course it is frustrating to not be able to perform when he feels like that. But he understands that this is part of the game and a part of life. I hope they can hold him back for the appropriate amount of time. More than anything...Arian wants to WIN. And I think he and the whole team feel this year has that potential....BIG potential. So injuries are most certainly frustrating.

So while this rubbed some the wrong way, I get that, it's not meant to be as it has become. I play fantasy and yes, he's on my team. Arian knows nothing about fantasy and has never had interest in it. He thinks it has made fans watch and pull for individuals and not teams. I guess he's kind of old school.

Anyway, this too shall pass. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

Playoffs
08-29-2011, 04:22 PM
NickScurfield Nick Scurfield
Foster said he loves all his fans and that his fantasy football tweet was taken out of context. Said he's on his mom's fantasy team
19 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

NickScurfield Nick Scurfield
Arian Foster called his hamstring injury "mild" and not as bad as he thought it was. He was able to jog in today's practice

drs23
08-29-2011, 04:51 PM
This thing is funny....in some ways funny ha ha and in others, funny strange. I guess it just depends on where you're looking from.

I didn't read this whole thread, so forgive me if I'm missing something but a few responses that caught my eye about Arian "losing touch with reality" or "thinking too highly of himself". Those are laughable if you really know Arian but I also don't expect everyone TO know him. The thing about Arian was touched on by someone who apparently does follow him on Twitter. He tends to be sarcastic. In that medium, it's hard to discern. We all should get that.

What I know about Arian is this. He is a very thoughtful, thought provoking young man. He likes to be challenged in thought and he likes TO challenge. That's interesting to him. Status quo is not. He's bored easily by "normal" but he doesn't go out of his way to be abnormal. He is just him and that, like his running style, is always fluid, always changing. He is a compassionate man for sure.

What I like most about Arian is his sense of humor and his joyfulness. He has always been that way, even as a young child and it hasn't changed. His joy and his peace is what's most important to him. But hilarious? That guy is funny as all get out. But of course, nobody would know that if they don't know him. I think you can get a taste of it through some of his tweets.

Bottom line, Arian is not "bothered" or "threatened" by anyone taking carries from him. He never has measured himself by another's performance. He works to be the best that HE can be.

Is he frustrated by his injury? Certainly...he's anxious, he wants to get out there and prior to the first hammy pull, he said he's never felt better...faster. So of course it is frustrating to not be able to perform when he feels like that. But he understands that this is part of the game and a part of life. I hope they can hold him back for the appropriate amount of time. More than anything...Arian wants to WIN. And I think he and the whole team feel this year has that potential....BIG potential. So injuries are most certainly frustrating.

So while this rubbed some the wrong way, I get that, it's not meant to be as it has become. I play fantasy and yes, he's on my team. Arian knows nothing about fantasy and has never had interest in it. He thinks it has made fans watch and pull for individuals and not teams. I guess he's kind of old school.

If anyone knows it would be you and I'm sure you're spot on.

Thanks for posting.

Ckw
08-29-2011, 05:34 PM
If anyone knows it would be you and I'm sure you're spot on.

Thanks for posting.

How does TexMexMom know? Does she have some relation to him?

Regardless, I am on Arian's side in this whole mess. I said at the beginning I thought he was joking. And if he isn't, he is right. There are some irritating (perhaps sick was the wrong word) fantasy owners out there.

kcdoubleeagle
08-29-2011, 05:38 PM
[QUOTE=Ckw;1762924]How does TexMexMom know? Does she have some relation to him?

She gave birth to him.

Perki-Perk
08-29-2011, 05:50 PM

THANK YOU!! I would rep you if I could. and yes, I follow Arian on twitter and he is nothing but a stand up guy and great individual. Like AJ, but very different in his thoughts and philosophy. Those 2 are some of my favorite sports figures in Houston, ever, along with Biggio and Dream.

Edit: After reading that you may be Arian's mother, I realized you may not know I'm referring to Craig Biggio, a class individual who spent his whole career in Houston. Also, when I was 9, he gave me his autograph after telling them to move me, the only child in the line at the time, to the front. Dream of course is Hakeem Olajuwon. Not only did he bring us 2 championships, but he was also a great person. My dad did some work for his brother a while back and it seems that trait runs in the family. I hope to think of AJ and Arian the same way in 10 years or so. We definitely have a great team this year!! Go Texans!

TexMexMom
08-29-2011, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=Ckw;1762924]How does TexMexMom know? Does she have some relation to him?

She gave birth to him.

All 9 pounds and 1 ounce of him. :scarygirl:

GP
08-29-2011, 05:56 PM
For the up-teenth time: I don't think anybody here is hating on Foster.

Has anyone here TRULY hardcore hated on the guy? Nope.

Perception is a funny thing. Public Relations 101 says you own up to a problem as fast as you can--YOU out yourself, and then you can frame it and steer it the way you want to.

I'm picking nits on this issue, just because I like to look at it from a P.R. standpoint and not a "Foster is a Texans player, so he RULES!" aspect. Now I see Foster is saying it was "taking out of context." This is the worst thing you can do. Why? Because now you insulted (indirectly and albeit from a distance) a particular sector of fans, and to top it off you're going to say people out there took it the wrong way. In other words: The insulted are too stupid to know what Arian Foster reallllllllly meant when he tweeted.

If this were a criminal trial, the prosecuting attorney would point to Exhibit A, which is his VERY animated insult to Colin Cowherd. Case closed, I'm afraid.

Only when the heat was applied did he understand that he goofed up int he realm of social media.

I follow Lukas Nelson (son of Willie Nelson) on facebook. I really dig his music, and he posts a lot of his own stuff. Recently, he posted about a concert where afterward a guy came up with a Rebel flag and wanted Lukas to sign it. Lukas says to the guy, "Uh, I don't know about that. Is that like a Hank III flag or is it a Rebel flag?" The guy says it's a plain old Rebel flag, and Lukas says back to him, "Sorry, man. I can sign anything else but IO won't sign the Rebel flag." Man, there was a huge shit storm in the replies to his post. It ranged from people who said "Yeah! Wait to go, Lukas. Tell that redneck SOB that he can take _____" or it was the opposite and was "Wow. Got a good view up there on your moral high-horse don't you? I don't see what the difference would be if it was a Hank III flag or a Rebel flag. Same thing, right? Confused here."

Lukas makes several replies throughout the thread of that post, and it just devolves into Social Media anarchy. He realizes, wisely so, that he goofed up. So he comes back on and says, in effect: "Hey everybody. I was wrong in how I handled the situation. I make music. My music should bring people joy and cut down barriers and bring people together. I don't like how I handled the situation. The guy just wanted something signed by me, and I judged him for something and I shouldn't." Bravo! All of sudden, the tide turns and everybody is embracing the guy (including me) and telling him that it's just the fact that he is honest and transparent that means so much to people who follow his stuff.

There's a way that seems right to man, but it's end is death. Figuratively and literally. Arian didn't do anything wrong. He just, IMO, didn't do the best thing he could have. No crime and no shame in that. But he has to either man up, or shut up, at this point. I think he's had a few people counseling him, in brotherly love, and I have no doubt that the guy is a good guy.

Social Media can be your best friend one second, and your worst enemy the next. It's all in how you approach it. Since that post by Lukas Nelson, he has stuck to ONLY talking about his music on facebook, which is good for him to do that for awhile. It's impossible to please everybody out there. Right?

Perki-Perk
08-29-2011, 06:06 PM
I'm picking nits on this issue, just because I like to look at it from a P.R. standpoint and not a "Foster is a Texans player, so he RULES!" aspect. Now I see Foster is saying it was "taking out of context." This is the worst thing you can do. Why? Because now you insulted (indirectly and albeit from a distance) a particular sector of fans, and to top it off you're going to say people out there took it the wrong way. In other words: The insulted are too stupid to know what Arian Foster reallllllllly meant when he tweeted.

I respectfully disagree here, sir. I don't take it as offensive when someone comes out and explains that what they said was not meant in a derogatory or demeaning manner. To me, he cleared the air even though I already assumed he meant sick in a manner like you would call someone crazy. To me, it seems you are assuming Arian is not being up front about how he meant it. Even if he did mean it in that manner, it is what it is. Don't go bothering the man because your fantasy team, The Dillhammers, or whatever y'all call your teams may not get the numbers in week one. Foster is only responsible for producing for the Team and fans are a bonus except when they become menacing stalkers who all of a sudden forget what a surprising bonus it was to have Him on their FAKE team last year.

DocBar
08-29-2011, 06:14 PM
For the up-teenth time: I don't think anybody here is hating on Foster.

Has anyone here TRULY hardcore hated on the guy? Nope.

Perception is a funny thing. Public Relations 101 says you own up to a problem as fast as you can--YOU out yourself, and then you can frame it and steer it the way you want to.

If this were a criminal trial, the prosecuting attorney would point to Exhibit A, which is his VERY animated insult to Colin Cowherd. Case closed, I'm afraid.

Only when the heat was applied did he understand that he goofed up int he realm of social media.

I follow Lukas Nelson (son of Willie Nelson) on facebook. I really dig his music, and he posts a lot of his own stuff. Recently, he posted about a concert where afterward a guy came up with a Rebel flag and wanted Lukas to sign it. Lukas says to the guy, "Uh, I don't know about that. Is that like a Hank III flag or is it a Rebel flag?" The guy says it's a plain old Rebel flag, and Lukas says back to him, "Sorry, man. I can sign anything else but IO won't sign the Rebel flag." Man, there was a huge shit storm in the replies to his post. It ranged from people who said "Yeah! Wait to go, Lukas. Tell that redneck SOB that he can take _____" or it was the opposite and was "Wow. Got a good view up there on your moral high-horse don't you? I don't see what the difference would be if it was a Hank III flag or a Rebel flag. Same thing, right? Confused here."

Lukas makes several replies throughout the thread of that post, and it just devolves into Social Media anarchy. He realizes, wisely so, that he goofed up. So he comes back on and says, in effect: "Hey everybody. I was wrong in how I handled the situation. I make music. My music should bring people joy and cut down barriers and bring people together. I don't like how I handled the situation. The guy just wanted something signed by me, and I judged him for something and I shouldn't." Bravo! All of sudden, the tide turns and everybody is embracing the guy (including me) and telling him that it's just the fact that he is honest and transparent that means so much to people who follow his stuff.

There's a way that seems right to man, but it's end is death. Figuratively and literally. Arian didn't do anything wrong. He just, IMO, didn't do the best thing he could have. No crime and no shame in that. But he has to either man up, or shut up, at this point. I think he's had a few people counseling him, in brotherly love, and I have no doubt that the guy is a good guy.

Social Media can be your best friend one second, and your worst enemy the next. It's all in how you approach it. Since that post by Lukas Nelson, he has stuck to ONLY talking about his music on facebook, which is good for him to do that for awhile. It's impossible to please everybody out there. Right?I think you hate Foster. I think you want him to fail. I think you take things way to seriously. I think you should keep your opinion to yourself because it doesn't agree with my worldview. I think....ahhh who am I kidding? I don't think. I just react!!!
:sarcasm::rant: :rofl:

GP
08-29-2011, 06:20 PM
I respectfully disagree here, sir. I don't take it as offensive when someone comes out and explains that what they said was not meant in a derogatory or demeaning manner. To me, he cleared the air even though I already assumed he meant sick in a manner like you would call someone crazy. To me, it seems you are assuming Arian is not being up front about how he meant it. Even if he did mean it in that manner, it is what it is. Don't go bothering the man because your fantasy team, The Dillhammers, or whatever y'all call your teams may not get the numbers in week one. Foster is only responsible for producing for the Team and fans are a bonus except when they become menacing stalkers who all of a sudden forget what a surprising bonus it was to have Him on their FAKE team last year.

You're assuming that I am wrong and you are right.

Once again: Perception is tricky. By it's very nature, it can be shaped and formed into anything we want.

Arian, IMO, is being reluctantly up-front. As if "Somebody said I should probably half-way apologize and try to placate the mob out there. So here it is. I'm sorry. Oh, and by the way....what I said was taken out of context. So there."

I'll stick to my main points here: His tweet to Cowherd was poor in taste, no matter if Cowherd deserved it or not. He started off by leveling a charge of inhumanity at FFL "owners" out there, and then he follows it up with a plate of "Eff you" to Cowherd. Again, I don't really give a rat's ass.....

BUT, if you guys care so much about his character...you'd care to be honest and say he didn't do himself any favors with the whole mess. It is what it is, and now (to me) it's come down to a group of people trying to exonerate him completely and get the whole case dismissed. In the court of public opinion, he can't be found fully innocent--We're a jury, not his pals. He should cop to a plea of "just very frustrated and want people to know that I want to be out there. My comments were in haste, my bad." If he had done that, it goes away.

Come on, guys. You know that's how it works. Until you cop a plea, whether you feel you should or not, it will haunt you until you do. Fact. You just have to admit it, then steer it where you want it to go. Instead, he's still allowing it to live and have legs.

And...once again: Go Texans! Go Foster! Football is here, and we're ready to cheer our guys all season long!

Dutchrudder
08-29-2011, 06:23 PM
I respectfully disagree here, sir. I don't take it as offensive when someone comes out and explains that what they said was not meant in a derogatory or demeaning manner. To me, he cleared the air even though I already assumed he meant sick in a manner like you would call someone crazy. To me, it seems you are assuming Arian is not being up front about how he meant it.

When/where did the clear this up? I haven't seen anything on his twitter page explaining what he meant. The tweet towards Colin would indicate he's standing by his original message.

Even if he did mean it in that manner, it is what it is. Don't go bothering the man because your fantasy team, The Dillhammers, or whatever y'all call your teams may not get the numbers in week one. Foster is only responsible for producing for the Team and fans are a bonus except when they become menacing stalkers who all of a sudden forget what a surprising bonus it was to have Him on their FAKE team last year.

I'm a Texans fan and I had him on one of my fantasy teams, so I care about both. I want Arian healthy for the Texans and for my roster. That doesn't mean I (or anyone else) don't care about him as a person, I just want him to play and produce. It really is a mutual interest to some extent, because once he stops producing and playing he will go the way of Steve Slaton.

Oh and I really appreciate the condescending tone towards people who play Fantasy Football, obviously our interest in players isn't as valuable as yours. Please go buy extra jerseys and tickets to make up for all of us FAKE fans.

thunderkyss
08-29-2011, 06:24 PM
Raise your hands if you're worried that Peyton may have suffered permanent damage & may never play football again.

Show me a man worried about Peyton's neck & I'll show you someone who drafted him for their fanatasy team (or a Colts fan refusing to let go).

Ckw
08-29-2011, 06:25 PM
All 9 pounds and 1 ounce of him. :scarygirl:

Is it true what Arian said that of all things, you actually have him on your fantasy team? You should tell him he better get his ass back on the field so you can win your fantasy league, haha!!

GP
08-29-2011, 06:25 PM
I think you hate Foster. I think you want him to fail. I think you take things way to seriously. I think you should keep your opinion to yourself because it doesn't agree with my worldview. I think....ahhh who am I kidding? I don't think. I just react!!!
:sarcasm::rant: :rofl:

I hate me too! So we DO agree on something! LOL. :peek:

MSR.

thunderkyss
08-29-2011, 06:27 PM
Is it true what Arian said that of all things, you actually have him on your fantasy team? You should tell him he better get his ass back on the field so you can win your fantasy league, haha!!

Best for him to sit until it is truly healed. Otherwise he won't be the same all year long.

If he misses two or three games, but repeats last year's performance, he'll still work out to an excellent pick.

GP
08-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Raise your hands if you're worried that Peyton may have suffered permanent damage & may never play football again.

Show me a man worried about Peyton's neck & I'll show you someone who drafted him for their fanatasy team (or a Colts fan refusing to let go).

Yeah, I agree here. And I REALLY agree with your earlier post along these same lines.

The "lumping people into a pot and boiling them until they melt away" act is just irritating to me. Boo-hoo! (Fake crying here...) Foster used Social Media to tweet about people he doesn't even know, accusing them of not caring about him as a person--only as a means to an end--and we have to listen to how rudely he's being treated.

Sometimes, people shouldn't blindly idolize others. My MAIN concern out of all this, is that we're seeing a pattern of a guy who wants his views respected and embraced...and if he doesn't get it, he goes personal on someone (like he did on Cowherd).

And also, it's not like the guy has lived 50+ years on earth yet. I'm 35 and I still make colossal mistakes in judgment on how to handle things. Gosh, I look at things I did and said as a 20-something-year-old person and I cringe at what people probably perceived of me. LOL. Anybody else feel the same way about what you did and said as a 20-something-year-old guy? Honesty time...

DocBar
08-29-2011, 06:34 PM
When Foster goes all Ochocinco or Mendenhall, I'll critique him. Until then, speak your mind. This is a very in-nocuous statement on his part. Even the talking heads are poking fun at the backlash on it.

TheMatrix31
08-29-2011, 06:55 PM
It would have been all better if he said "Haha, to all the fans concerned about fantasy ramifications, trust me, I care too---my Mom has me on her team!"

fiasco west
08-29-2011, 06:57 PM

Just look at all the people that responded to Arian's tweet and you'll have your answer. I am positive there are many people who hope he plays football again, a lot of people outside of fans of the Jags/Titans/Texans love to watch the guy play and hope he plays again.

Surely if you don't care about Arian at all it really doesn't matter what he says.

TEXANRED
08-29-2011, 06:59 PM
He can say whatever he wants if he rushes for 1600 yards and scores 16 touchdowns again.

ccdude730
08-29-2011, 07:00 PM
When I was in Houston the other day, I asked Foster his feelings about this national obsession. "It's good for getting the people who aren't normally into football -- they watch the games,'' he said. "But I think it's changing the way people watch the games. They're more interested in stats ... That kind of takes away from the reason we play this game, and that's to get a ring. Don't get me wrong -- I love my fans. I love our fans of the game... But don't get mad at a player because he doesn't perform for your [fantasy] team.''Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/08/28/preseason.week.3/index.html?sct=nfl_t11_a1)

Quote from King's MMQB. And truth be told, I thought it was humorous when he first tweeted it. I don't understand why some people are so worked up over it.

GP
08-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/08/28/preseason.week.3/index.html?sct=nfl_t11_a1)

Quote from King's MMQB. And truth be told, I thought it was humorous when he first tweeted it. I don't understand why some people are so worked up over it.

Much better way to approach the subject. Maybe twitter kinda' sucks at communicating detailed or emotionally-charged topics????

You have a small space to type your message. It lends itself to either (A) "information only" posts, such as "Going to play to next week. Glad to be back on the field!" or (B) Cheery, insightful quips, such as "If the ocean had no sponges in it, how much deeper would it be?" or some such stuff like that.

Calling people out? Not so much. LOL.

Perki-Perk
08-29-2011, 07:14 PM
You're assuming that I am wrong and you are right.

Once again: Perception is tricky. By it's very nature, it can be shaped and formed into anything we want.

Arian, IMO, is being reluctantly up-front. As if "Somebody said I should probably half-way apologize and try to placate the mob out there. So here it is. I'm sorry. Oh, and by the way....what I said was taken out of context. So there."

I'll stick to my main points here: His tweet to Cowherd was poor in taste, no matter if Cowherd deserved it or not. He started off by leveling a charge of inhumanity at FFL "owners" out there, and then he follows it up with a plate of "Eff you" to Cowherd. Again, I don't really give a rat's ass.....

BUT, if you guys care so much about his character...you'd care to be honest and say he didn't do himself any favors with the whole mess. It is what it is, and now (to me) it's come down to a group of people trying to exonerate him completely and get the whole case dismissed. In the court of public opinion, he can't be found fully innocent--We're a jury, not his pals. He should cop to a plea of "just very frustrated and want people to know that I want to be out there. My comments were in haste, my bad." If he had done that, it goes away.

Come on, guys. You know that's how it works. Until you cop a plea, whether you feel you should or not, it will haunt you until you do. Fact. You just have to admit it, then steer it where you want it to go. Instead, he's still allowing it to live and have legs.

And...once again: Go Texans! Go Foster! Football is here, and we're ready to cheer our guys all season long!

I see where you're coming from, and I agree. It's probably just a difference in perception. For what it's worth, I have no idea about PR spins; I'm not a person who needs to be highly concerned with it.

GP
08-29-2011, 07:18 PM
I see where you're coming from, and I agree. It's probably just a difference in perception. For what it's worth, I have no idea about PR spins; I'm not a person who needs to be highly concerned with it.

People who express themselves a lot (I know, because I'm one of those!) can get attached to feedback form the people they're communicating with.

I have no doubt Foster is a good guy. His actions speak louder than words, especially in playing out his contract and agreeing to let the chips fall where they may this year...and hoping to get a better one in 2012 that puts him in line with what most premiere RBs earn in the NFL. That's uncommon character, and it's refreshing to see.

Perki-Perk
08-29-2011, 07:26 PM
When/where did the clear this up? I haven't seen anything on his twitter page explaining what he meant. The tweet towards Colin would indicate he's standing by his original message.

I'm a Texans fan and I had him on one of my fantasy teams, so I care about both. I want Arian healthy for the Texans and for my roster. That doesn't mean I (or anyone else) don't care about him as a person, I just want him to play and produce. It really is a mutual interest to some extent, because once he stops producing and playing he will go the way of Steve Slaton.

Oh and I really appreciate the condescending tone towards people who play Fantasy Football, obviously our interest in players isn't as valuable as yours. Please go buy extra jerseys and tickets to make up for all of us FAKE fans.

I appologize for the condescention, no harm intended. I was just trying to illustrate that a fantasy team has no real bearing on life and that IMO what Foster, or anyone else on the Texans, does that effects the team is more important to ME and most Texans fans. That's all. I didn't mean to poke fun at or downplay what it is you do. I play FPS games online, so I have my "other world" too, but I don't get too upset about it, because, again, it has no real effect on my life. I have about 8 Jerseys as it is. 2 Johsons, 2 Fosters, 2 Cushings, a Williams and a Ryans (Had a couple of the older jerseys like that QB we used to have and some other guys, but finally gave those up at the end of last season. Still got my expansion jersey though ;). Probably be looking to aquire a Watt, Reed and Possibly a Joseph this year.

Oh, and to me, it was already clear. I follow Arian pretty regularly along with most of the other Texans, Rockets and Astros. On a side note, I wish Scola would post in Spanish and English..haha

DocBar
08-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Funny as ****. Arian is the man!

and of course people on this board takes it literally; let's all go back to the "Mario sucks" thread and laugh at all the goofy photoshops!! :rolleyes:I vote we start a Toan sucks thread!! J/K

Allstar
08-29-2011, 11:50 PM
Arian replying to a tweet from a "fan":
Arian Foster
I wish you well on your journey my friend RT @estradaphx jackass, w/out FF you would be cleaning toilets. Hoping you are seriously injured!
And you wonder why he used the word sick...

TheMatrix31
08-30-2011, 12:08 AM
He needs to not be one of those *********s that engages his "haters" or whatever it is. That stuff is as annoying as the people responding to him.

Teams definitely need social media management coaching. Wish that department existed within the Texans so I could apply to work.

michaelm
08-30-2011, 01:17 AM
Personally, I do wish Arian well on a personal level, but that's a pretty general statement because I obviously don't know him personally.

Mainly, I wish him well for what may or may not be selfish reasons. If Arian does well, my favorite team will do well.
That's good on many levels. For me, for the fans, for the team, and last but definitely not least, for Arian himself. And yes, for my fantasy team if I'm lucky enough to get him in our auction draft this weekend.

For me, though, there is a bigger picture. Arian has the talent to be the second best running back in the history of of this city. (Sorry Arian, it would take a miracle of Red Sea proportions for you to overtake Earl in that category!).
He has talent on the level that could get him into Canton one day if his health returns and his career is long enough.
And for now, he is in an offensive system to put up huge numbers.

He is already only 1322 yards shy of the Texans career record for rushing yards, and will have that by year's end if he is fortunate with this injury.

I may be waxing poetic a bit, so forgive me, but the guy is a special talent in a tailor-made system.

I can forgive myself for the selfishness of wanting, and expecting great things for my own personal reasons, but also for posterity sake. I'd love to see Arian follow AJ into the hall of fame one day.
Players with talent like Arian and AJ can help exercise a lot of football demons in this city.

Whether that's selfish or not, I know most of us want that to happen.

Perki-Perk
08-30-2011, 01:27 AM
:clap:Personally, I do wish Arian well on a personal level, but that's a pretty general statement because I obviously don't know him personally.

Mainly, I wish him well for what may or may not be selfish reasons. If Arian does well, my favorite team will do well.
That's good on many levels. For me, for the fans, for the team, and last but definitely not least, for Arian himself. And yes, for my fantasy team if I'm lucky enough to get him in our auction draft this weekend.

For me, though, there is a bigger picture. Arian has the talent to be the second best running back in the history of of this city. (Sorry Arian, it would take a miracle of Red Sea proportions for you to overtake Earl in that category!).
He has talent on the level that could get him into Canton one day if his health returns and his career is long enough.

He is already only 1322 yards shy of the Texans career record for rushing yards, and will have that by year's end if he is fortunate with this injury.

I may be waxing poetic a bit, so forgive me, but the guy is a special talent in a tailor-made system.

I can forgive myself for the selfishness of wanting, and expecting great things for my own personal reasons, but also for posterity sake. I'd love to see Arian follow AJ into the hall of fame one day.
Players with talent like Arian and AJ can help exercise a lot of football demons in this city.

:clap:

GP
08-30-2011, 02:02 AM
Fixed it for ya:

Arian replying to a tweet from a "fan":

Arian Foster
I wish you well on your journey my friend RT @AFCsouth_opposing_dlines jackass, w/out FF you would be cleaning toilets. Hoping you are seriously injured!

And you wonder why he used the word sick...

fiasco west
08-30-2011, 05:14 AM
Personally, I do wish Arian well on a personal level, but that's a pretty general statement because I obviously don't know him personally.

Let me just say, that's just sad and depressing.

NathanT29
08-30-2011, 08:15 AM
Even though I do have Foster on my Fantasy Team its because he is one of my favorite Texans players thats why I chose him. But there are people who just look at him as meat and thats not right. I do wish him well this season as well as the Texans!

ObsiWan
08-30-2011, 08:48 AM

Monday Foster talked with the Houston press and reiterated his thought (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/27160/fosters-not-anti-fantasy-just-pro-human) in more than 140 characters.

"That’s part of the game but my tweet -- the fact that we’re talking about Twitter is amazing to me; but my tweet got taken out of context. What I was saying was that people that value a digital game over a human being’s health is just kind of weird to me. That’s all that I meant by that. People took it as, oh, I don’t care about fantasy football. I think it’s good for the game; it gets people that don’t really watch into it. I’m on my mother’s fantasy football team, so you know, I got to do good. It got taken out of context. I love all my fans and if you’ve been following me on Twitter, you know kind of person and human being I am and if you know me, you know what kind of human being I am. I try to promote peace, man, because that’s what I’m about.”

Clear enough for ya?

Perki-Perk
08-30-2011, 09:44 AM
clear enough for ya?

bam!

silvrhand
08-30-2011, 09:57 AM
Monday Foster talked with the Houston press and reiterated his thought (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/27160/fosters-not-anti-fantasy-just-pro-human) in more than 140 characters.

Clear enough for ya?

I'm not going to say what he originally meant and if he hasn't cleared it up based on what his initial feelings were. I don't know Arian, but this isn't the first time he has had issues with things he has posted, done, or said. He will in time learn to word the things he says so that the he does not insult people at the same time. Or he can just continue to say what he wants in his way of life and continue to take heat for it and be fine with it as well. It'll be his choice to make.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=lc-fosterjourney091510

“The vision [in Albuquerque] isn’t very high,” he said. “People over there don’t expect a lot from other people. It’s kind of a cesspool of mediocrity. I hate to say that but it really is. It has so much talent over there, but I don’t see a lot of people pushing it over there.”

Perki-Perk
08-30-2011, 10:02 AM

I think the only people that really have a problem with that statement, are people from Albuquerque. Why do you think Bugs Bunny could never figure out which way to go after going through there??? He always took a wrong turn somewhere around that place.... hmm?

Brisco_County
08-30-2011, 02:15 PM
His recent responses to the Houston press and to Peter King are good points and make way more sense than his tweets.

GP
08-30-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm not going to say what he originally meant and if he hasn't cleared it up based on what his initial feelings were. I don't know Arian, but this isn't the first time he has had issues with things he has posted, done, or said. He will in time learn to word the things he says so that the he does not insult people at the same time. Or he can just continue to say what he wants in his way of life and continue to take heat for it and be fine with it as well. It'll be his choice to make.

His recent responses to the Houston press and to Peter King are good points and make way more sense than his tweets.

The obvious lesson: Twitter sucks if you're trying to expound upon a feeling or statement that needs lots of breathing room.

Basically if you're a professional who uses twitter to build your image/brand, you should probably only tweet (A) informative posts such as "Company ABC announces new service upgrade," or (B) cheery, won't-piss-anybody-off posts such as "Just wanted to give the world a great, big hug today! Yay!"

But criticizing others, or making broad statements, or any other form of subjective tweets is just going to hurt you in the long run.

Nobody cares if Joe Schmoe from Idaho says fantasy football people are "sick," but it takes on a whole new life if it's an NFL player saying it. Then you act like a petulant child to a nationally-syndicated sports radio host (Cowherd), then you say you were taken out of context altogether.

Arian is good at ducking LBs AND his social media critics.

It's also good to know that he has (allegedly) a mom on here to help us understand how wonderful her son is. After that post, we should all take a step back and just stop "hating" on him.

And btw, I am not sure that I fully accept that poster as being Foster's mom. Lots of people, from time to time, have posed as a relative of a player. It's pretty easy to do. But that's beside the point. The point is that twitter kinda' doesn't work so good when you're trying to make statements that need more room for proper articulation of the thought...unless it's "just information" or "sunshine rainbow stuff."

To each their own, and I wish nothing but the best of luck to all the Texans players out there, no matter what their stance is on any topic.

DexmanC
08-30-2011, 02:44 PM
When I first read that tweet, the meaning I got from it does not differ
AT ALL from Arian's elaboration. If ya'll care more about your fantasy
teams than this man's health, ya'll ARE sick.

What's the big deal? Did this threat actually merit 7 pages?

cuppacoffee
08-30-2011, 10:11 PM
When I first read that tweet, the meaning I got from it does not differ
AT ALL from Arian's elaboration. If ya'll care more about your fantasy
teams than this man's health, ya'll ARE sick.

What's the big deal? Did this threat actually merit 7 pages?

Like you, many people here felt the need to add their :twocents:

:coffee:

Dutchrudder
08-30-2011, 10:59 PM

Thanks for posting that, as I hadn't read it and I don't think anyone else bothered to quote it.

Clear enough for ya?

Yeah, but you don't have to be a dick about it. I don't browse the ESPN blogs.

NETxTexanFan
08-30-2011, 11:16 PM
I've never seen the point of fantasy football. I get everything I want out of watching football and keeping up with a couple of teams. I don't want it to become an individual player sport. I think it's perfect the way it is as a team sport. Stats are fun but meaningless to me if the teams I wanted to see win didn't. I don't understand where the fun is in just tallying up unrelated points from a bunch of players on different teams.I am totally with you Hervoyel.

As far as what Arian said, I don't think it was a big deal. People can read into it what they want but if they are smart people they will get the gist of what he was saying and do a self examination of themselves and see if they themselves fit his description.

I have always understood that football is a game and there are real people playing it who risk their health. I do care about any player that gets injured and always hope for a full recovery and that the player does not suffer lifelong ill effects. I can't speak for all fans of the game or fantasy football fans any more than can Arian but his feelings are not hard to appreciate based on the overreaction to his injury and how it effects Fantasy fans.

I think Arian could have reacted less harsh but I am not a player in the league and I can't begin to fully appreciate where he is coming from. I do however feel that Arian is just trying to get people to see that they need to keep things in perspective. Fantasy Football is not the end of your life when a player gets injured but it could drastically change a player on your Fantasy teams life and concern for their health should outweigh worries over trivial crap like your Fantasy football team and it's success.

ObsiWan
08-30-2011, 11:53 PM
Thanks for posting that, as I hadn't read it and I don't think anyone else bothered to quote it.

Yeah, but you don't have to be a dick about it. I don't browse the ESPN blogs.

Well that's sorta why I posted it because I know not everyone reads all the multitude of sports blurbs that are available. Hell, I don't either but I happened to luck across this one.

That "dick" thing is your interpretation, not my intent.
Never.
I have too much respect for other posters - and myself - to be an internet bully. Although, re-reading my post, and taking into account how polarizing this subject has turned out to be, I can see how you (and perhaps others) may have taken it to be a bit snarky.
My apologies.

Perki-Perk
08-31-2011, 09:43 AM
Well that's sorta why I posted it because I know not everyone reads all the multitude of sports blurbs that are available. Hell, I don't either but I happened to luck across this one.

Never.
I have too much respect for other posters - and myself - to be an internet bully. Although, re-reading my post, and taking into account how polarizing this subject has turned out to be, I can see how you (and perhaps others) may have taken it to be a bit snarky.
My apologies.

Dutchrudder, I think Obsiwan, a lot like Yoda, has good intentions, you just don't always undertstand what the heck he's talking about. :kitten:

aussie_texan
08-31-2011, 09:46 AM
http://www.mobypicture.com/user/ArianFoster/view/10600795

this was posted on arian fosters tweeter account.

its an MRI of his hamstring

maybe CnD can let us know whats going on lol

drs23
08-31-2011, 11:46 AM
http://www.mobypicture.com/user/ArianFoster/view/10600795

this was posted on arian fosters tweeter account.

its an MRI of his hamstring

maybe CnD can let us know whats going on lol

Exactly. Can't wait to hear the Doctor's review of this film. I certainly can't tell sht from shinola about it but I KNOW Doc Jean can and hopefully will. Soon?

Yankee_In_TX
08-31-2011, 11:48 AM

Clear enough for ya?

/thread

Bottom line be careful what you Tweet or Facebook. Things don't get taken out of context, there is NO context!

Next topic @ failed tweet - Chris Johnson.

@ChrisJohnson28
I like to thank everyone who have me in their prayers thru my situation, it's much needed

If there was a situation, well, there's no context so you sound like a schmuck thnaking people for praying for your about your contract?!

Errant Hothy
08-31-2011, 01:20 PM
Here's the image for ease of access

http://a3.img.mobypicture.com/5780493af65815d4868f1a56d16d65e2_view.jpg

John Clayton weighing in on twitter:
John Clayton
Arian Foster tweeted his hamstring MRI and it sure doesn't look like he's been in the lineup when the season starts. He has a tear.

In all honesty I'm rather shocked that the team allowed him to post the MRI on his twitter account, unless of course they did not know he was going to do so.

Section516
08-31-2011, 01:26 PM
Wheres the Doc..Gotta have better knowledge than Clayton..

:panic: :panic: :panic:

ThaShark316
08-31-2011, 01:30 PM
I think everyone has been had.

@ArianFoster Arian Foster
If I had a "significant injury" why post it? I'll be fine, it was jus meant to make fun of the whole situation. Humor is lost nowadays.

GP
08-31-2011, 01:33 PM
WHAT?!?!? OMG, my fantasy team is completely screwed!!! Thanks a lot, Arian Foster, you piece of $#!@, I wasted a draft pick on you. Loser.

:kitten:

Errant Hothy
08-31-2011, 01:35 PM
I think everyone has been had.

@ArianFoster Arian Foster
If I had a "significant injury" why post it? I'll be fine, it was jus meant to make fun of the whole situation. Humor is lost nowadays.

Yeah, I think that's a distinct possibility. The date on the screen is from 8/24/1986 (I think that's what it reads).

If its a joke CLayton has bought it hook, line and sinker.

John Clayton
ESPN's Dr. Michael Kaplin thinks Arian Foster could be out three to four weeks with his hamstring injury. He's done light jogging for 2 days.

False Start
08-31-2011, 01:35 PM
OH NO! :scarygirl:

Topher
08-31-2011, 01:39 PM
The date on the screen is from 8/24/1986 (I think that's what it reads).

I think that's his date of birth.

Errant Hothy
08-31-2011, 01:42 PM

Well f me. That might be the first time I've been shocked by a football players age, in relation to being younger than me. Damn it that makes me feel old.

And yes Foster was born 8-24-1986.

:vincepalm:

hobie
08-31-2011, 01:47 PM
Unless I do not see him on the field on 9-11, I do not care what all the fuss is about.. If he is not ready to go, ok, Tate and Ward, step up, your turn to make the play.. if he is ready, then ok, let them have it !
Everyone just needs to stop worrying about something that we just don't know the facts about....

Ryan
08-31-2011, 01:55 PM
Arian Foster might have just taken the crown for world's best internet troll.

Dutchrudder
08-31-2011, 02:05 PM

Never.
My apologies.

Sounded like a jab to me as rhetorical questions usually indicate condescension, but it's all good. :handshake:

Vinnie
08-31-2011, 02:08 PM
Here is the text that accompanied the pic:

This is an MRI of my hamstring, The white stuff surrounding the muscle is known in the medical world as anti-awesomeness

My respose:

Find a good massage girl to rub the white stuff out of you. :kitten:

Yankee_In_TX
08-31-2011, 02:22 PM
Yeah, I think that's a distinct possibility. The date on the screen is from 8/24/1986 (I think that's what it reads).

Pssst, that's his DOB.
*edit* too late

michaelm
08-31-2011, 02:37 PM
Tweet from FantasyGuru.com:

But people walking around thinking this Foster news it's fact, I would not do that. MRI tech told me today it didn't look bad at all.

ultimatepaki
08-31-2011, 02:39 PM
http://blog.chron.com/uponfurtherreview/2011/08/oh-arian/
"But it wasn’t his MRI."

so is it or is not his MRI? hopefully we get some answers soon.

GuerillaBlack
08-31-2011, 02:42 PM
LMAO, Foster playing mind games.

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2011, 02:44 PM
Exactly. Can't wait to hear the Doctor's review of this film. I certainly can't tell sht from shinola about it but I KNOW Doc Jean can and hopefully will. Soon?

This MRI was taken 8/28/11. It's very blurry, but take your gaze to the right hand corner that cuts it off at 8/28.

The film in general is very blurry, but demonstrates swelling of the tissues and bleed, and tears. It doesn't show the entire hamstring and tendon insertions, and one view seldom can tell the whole picture. There are transverse lines that you see with tears. This just doesn't look like an injury I would expect with a player reported to be "jogging."

Mr. Texan
08-31-2011, 02:49 PM

http://i.imgur.com/mtXR9.jpg

cj5776
08-31-2011, 02:55 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth

Thought about adding it to the other thread but this seems like seperate news. Do anyone know how severe this could be?

Errant Hothy
08-31-2011, 02:57 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth

Thought about adding it to the other thread but this seems like seperate news. Do anyone know how severe this could be?

You discussion is already in progress..in the "other" thread.

Thorn
08-31-2011, 02:58 PM
Mario did WHAT??

cj5776
08-31-2011, 03:02 PM
feel free to merge, sorry for the overlap

Nawzer
08-31-2011, 03:06 PM
Foster is such a Jedi! Using his Jedi mind trick on the ESPN trolls.

FirstTexansFan
08-31-2011, 03:08 PM
I screen capped the pic of the hamstring photo for CND to take a look at and get his opinion.

http://www.godblessedtexas.com/images/af.jpg

Perki-Perk
08-31-2011, 03:08 PM
Arian's mom just posted his status in the thread entitled, "Hey, Y'all", or maybe it was "OK, Y'all". Either way, this is a non issue and there is no tear. Poet will be ready in no time!

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2011, 03:16 PM
I screen capped the pic of the hamstring photo for CND to take a look at and get his opinion.

http://www.godblessedtexas.com/images/af.jpg

I posted the following in the other thread:

This MRI was taken 8/28/11. It's very blurry, but take your gaze to the right hand corner that cuts it off at 8/28.

The film in general is very blurry, but demonstrates swelling of the tissues and bleed, and tears. It doesn't show the entire hamstring and tendon insertions, and one view seldom can tell the whole picture. There are transverse lines that you see with tears. This just doesn't look like an injury I would expect with a player reported to be "jogging."

However this plays out, this whole tweeting stuff should come back on him by the Texans........and may come back to bite the Texans. This is not a professional approach to respond to the media.

michaelm
08-31-2011, 03:19 PM
http://blog.chron.com/uponfurtherreview/2011/08/oh-arian/
"But it wasn’t his MRI."

so is it or is not his MRI? hopefully we get some answers soon.

Funny quote from the comments section of the linked chron blog:

Good news everybody ! As part of America’s new health care plan you can now take a picture of your injury, send it to ESPN and get a free diagnosis on Sportscenter at the top of each hour !!

michaelm
08-31-2011, 03:23 PM
I posted the following in the other thread:

However this plays out, this whole teeting stuff should come back on him by the Texans........and may come back to bite the Texans. This is not a professional approach to respond to the media.

Speaking of questionable twitter posts, see this thread from the TT NFL forum. Post #80 is where I quoted CJ.
Chris Johnson is evidently truing to out-tweet Arian.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83865&page=4

Playoffs
08-31-2011, 03:35 PM
It's the Foster versus Manning "will they play" soap opera! :pursefight:

TheMatrix31
08-31-2011, 03:40 PM
So what do you think it is, CND? What are we probably looking at?

ChrisG
08-31-2011, 03:48 PM
He is suffering from "anti-awesomeness" according to Foster

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Arian-Foster-tweets-MRI-of-hamstring-gets-insta?urn=nfl-wp6233

This is an MRI of my hamstring, The white stuff surrounding the muscle is known in the medical world as anti-awesomeness

he also seems to have tweeted his DOB and SSN :kubepalm:

HOU-TEX
08-31-2011, 03:48 PM
Man, this thing really has taken off! That's espn for ya. Buncha asshats

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2011, 03:49 PM

I can't vouch for the veracity of the film.......just what observations I noted above in my comments.

Here is a larger view of the image I worked off of.

]http://www.mobypicture.com/user/ArianFoster/view/10600795/sizes/full
(http://www.mobypicture.com/user/ArianFoster/view/10600795/sizes/full)

I saw that this was just now posted on ESPN. Even though you all may not like ESPN, their chief medical analyst is a well-respected sports medicine orthopedic specialist and professor at Yale University. Given the MRI image tweeted, this is his interpretation of the injury. You will note that it basically parallels mine.

VIDEO (http://search.espn.go.com/arian-foster-mri/) (Hamstring tear for Foster)

ChrisG
08-31-2011, 03:53 PM

it also appears to contain his SSN

michaelm
08-31-2011, 03:58 PM
it also appears to contain his SSN

Don't worry, Arian has LifeLock©

Copyright © 2006-2011. LifeLock. All Rights Reserved

TheMatrix31
08-31-2011, 03:59 PM
Argh. Why can't things just go swimmingly for once?

Dutchrudder
08-31-2011, 04:02 PM
I can't vouch for the veracity of the film.......just what observations I noted above in my comments.

Here is a larger view of the image I worked off of.

]http://www.mobypicture.com/user/ArianFoster/view/10600795/sizes/full
(http://www.mobypicture.com/user/ArianFoster/view/10600795/sizes/full)

I saw that this was just now posted on ESPN. Even though you all may not like ESPN, their chief medical analyst is a well-respected sports medicine orthopedic specialist and professor at Yale University. Given the MRI image tweeted, this is his interpretation of the injury. You will note that it basically parallels mine.

VIDEO (http://search.espn.go.com/arian-foster-mri/) (Hamstring tear for Foster)

So, ummm, should I pick up Tate and Ward for my fantasy team?

DX-TEX
08-31-2011, 04:06 PM
So, ummm, should I pick up Tate and Ward for my fantasy team?

Arian hates you.

fiasco west
Ahh we're going to have a fun time with Arian's Twitter this year.

Errant Hothy
He is suffering from "anti-awesomeness" according to Foster

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Arian-Foster-tweets-MRI-of-hamstring-gets-insta?urn=nfl-wp6233

he also seems to have tweeted his DOB and SSN :kubepalm:

It's not his social, unless his social was issued to him in Mass., and seeing as how Arian was born in NM and moved to San Diego as a kid I'm going to go with Arian's ssn was not issued to him in Mass.

026 is one of the area codes for Mass; 585 is the area code for NM

http://www.usrecordsearch.com/ssn.htm

Playoffs
08-31-2011, 04:08 PM
ESPN running crazy with this story...

"Foster's fantasy value plummets"

"Opponents now know where to target hits on Foster"

:ahhaha:

drunkcookie
08-31-2011, 04:14 PM
"Opponents now know where to target hits on Foster"

:ahhaha:

Are you serious? Because no one knew before the picture that Foster had a jacked up hamstring?

Errant Hothy
08-31-2011, 04:15 PM
It's not his SSN; unless he got his SSn issued to him in the state of Mass.

The first three digits of everybody's ssn is an area code, assigned by state. 026 is one of the area codes for Mass and 585 is the code for NM were Arian grew up. Thus it's not his SSN, unless he has his SSN issused through Mass, which would be really odd.

ChrisG
08-31-2011, 04:24 PM

The first three digits of everybody's ssn is an area code, assigned by state. 026 is one of the area codes for Mass and 585 is the code for NM were Arian grew up. Thus it's not his SSN, unless he has his SSN issused through Mass, which would be really odd.

thanks for the info, I didnt know that. I just saw a 9 digit number after the DOB and assumed SSN.

SuperRY
08-31-2011, 04:46 PM
Why would Arian post that?!?!

You know the doctors and coaches for IND, MIA, & NO are using the MRI to their advantage! Why give the enemy any info on injuries and the upper hand on game planning.

Kubs and Smith are going to be pissed.

Grow up Arian... You got benched for a half game last year because you couldn't handle your professional business...

Dutchrudder
08-31-2011, 04:49 PM
thanks for the info, I didnt know that. I just saw a 9 digit number after the DOB and assumed SSN.

Might be his phone number. Give it a ring and let us know how it goes.

HOU-TEX
08-31-2011, 04:49 PM

You know the doctors and coaches for IND, MIA, & NO are using the MRI to their advantage! Why give the enemy any info on injuries and the upper hand on game planning.

Grow up Arian... You got benched for a half game last year because you couldn't handle your professional business...

Lol! Wow

Double Barrel
08-31-2011, 04:54 PM

*raises hand*

I have too much respect for Manning to want to see him end his career with a neck injury. He should leave the game on his own terms, not be taken about by the game. Yeah, he's always owned us, but I'd still like to see our team judged against his greatness. And as a football fan, I think he's good for the sport as a player and as the person that he seems to be in regular life. JMO.

FWIW, I keep up with Earl Campbell and hate to see the individual in the state of health that he's currently in. I care about him as a person, not who he was to me 30 years ago.

Ryan
08-31-2011, 05:08 PM

LOL you just ripped that quote from SC. Good job there gathering your own original thoughts. :vincepalm:

fiasco west
08-31-2011, 05:48 PM

Pfft, everyone wants ESPN to talk about the Texans and now it looks like they can't stop talking about them. I don't know what everyone is complaining about!

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2011, 05:52 PM

Gwallia asked this 3 days ago.

Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Cloak, it was mentioned during the broadcast that hamstrings are particularly tough injuries because it is difficult to gauge how the healing is progressing. What is the best way to determine when the muscle is healed?

This is indeed correct. One of the main reasons is because once any MRI changes are resolved, if there were some to begin with, you depend on the player to give you truthful feed back. Before even beginning light jogging, there should be absolutely no point tenderness in the hamstring, and no discomfort upon full stretch. For a football player that cuts and accelerated, especially against opposition, jogging, butt-kicks, or short straight ½ to ¾ effort sprints (NEVER all out until drills and ¾ effort sprints are TOTALLY pain free) are typical. If they experience ANY recurring twinges, they have to iimmediately reduce the intensity of effort. I mentioned that strain reinjury rate in football players is on the order of 30% within 6 months, but some quote it within a 3 month period. The peak prevalence classically seems to occur around 3–4 weeks following injury.

The problem in all of this is that you are dealing with "warriors," who believe that they are invisible, and that if they do not complain, they will be fine. Foster played on a bum knee last year because of fear of losing his position..........do I need to spell things out about what present concern may hold. With an already recurrent injury, I would say the very soonest that Foster should be allowed back would be 2-3 weeks........but preferably closer to 3-4 weeks or more to give him a better chance to make it through the season. (Keep in mind that we do not have information re. the exact degree of injury.) Plus if that hamstring ever tightens up whenever he does return, he must be honest with himself and take himself out of the game immediately. I will hope for that, but I do not plan on holding my breath.

HOU-TEX
08-31-2011, 05:54 PM
I wonder what espn and the rest would do if Arian Tweeted "Okay, time to go spank the monkey"

SuperRY
08-31-2011, 06:04 PM
Foster has broken team rules by posting the MRi picture and will be disciplined by the Texans internally.

Mr. Texan
08-31-2011, 06:05 PM
ESPN

The Fox News of Sports.

:vincepalm:

Rey
08-31-2011, 06:06 PM
I wonder what espn and the rest would do if Arian Tweeted "Okay, time to go spank the monkey"

I dunno, but I think PETA may get involved.

Double Barrel
08-31-2011, 06:09 PM
I dunno, but I think PETA may get involved.

Are they monkey-spankers, too?

GP
08-31-2011, 06:26 PM

The date on the screen, being that it's his birthday, does not mean Arian put it there as a Photoshop prank.

It might be on the screen because it's part of his medical file. As in: This is an image taken of the patient, Arian Foster, date of birth 8/24/1986.

Someone in the medical field, like CND, could help us to determine if that's there as part of his medical file (therefore it was displayed in a template so the doctor sees the birth date).

GP
08-31-2011, 06:30 PM

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I figured it out.

Area code for telephone and area code for SSN are two separate things, right?

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2011, 06:41 PM
The date on the screen, being that it's his birthday, does not mean Arian put it there as a Photoshop prank.

It might be on the screen because it's part of his medical file. As in: This is an image taken of the patient, Arian Foster, date of birth 8/24/1986.

Someone in the medical field, like CND, could help us to determine if that's there as part of his medical file (therefore it was displayed in a template so the doctor sees the birth date).

Every radiographic film carries the patient's name and birth date on each frame.........just like lab data...........in fact, all official medical records......to make sure it is the same patient. This is to distinguish patients with the same name.

GP
08-31-2011, 06:49 PM
Houston Texans running back Arian Foster on Wednesday posted a picture of an MRI of his hamstring on Twitter, prompting questions about the severity of his injury and his openness about it.

"This is an MRI of my hamstring, The white stuff surrounding the muscle is known in the medical world as anti-awesomeness," he wrote, providing a link to a picture of the MRI image.

AFC South blog
ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky writes about all things AFC South in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Dr. Michael Kaplan, ESPN's sports medicine expert, provided his own analysis of Foster's injury Wednesday and said that it is significant, based on the image the running back posted.

"The MRI scan tweeted by Foster demonstrates considerable muscle damage with bleeding and swelling," Kaplan said. "Treatment is conservative. Rest, physical therapy with stretching and ultrasound, and anti-inflammatory medicine will be employed. Foster will use a gradual strengthening program when he's ready. A return to the field would not be expected before three to four weeks. Premature exertion risks re-tear and longer convalescence."

The Texans told ESPN.com's John Clayton that it would have no comment on Foster's injury, and would address all team injuries next week.

However, a source told ESPN.com that the team has questioned Foster on the wisdom of using Twitter to display his MRI image.

Foster defended providing the image to his Twitter followers with a tweet later Wednesday.

"If I had a 'significant injury' why post it? I'll be fine, it was jus meant to make fun of the whole situation. Humor is lost nowadays," he wrote.

On Sunday, Texans coach Gary Kubiak said he was optimistic that Foster would be ready for the team's regular-season opener against the Indianapolis Colts.

Foster sat out Houston's preseason opener, then rushed five times for 47 yards and two touchdowns in the Texans' 27-14 win over New Orleans on Aug. 20. He was hurt on his eighth carry against the 49ers on Saturday.

"Looks like we're dealing with the same thing we were dealing with at the start of camp," Kubiak said Sunday. "Hopefully, we can get him back on the rehab train, and get him ready for opening day. He'll be day to day."

Kubiak said head athletic trainer Geoff Kaplan offered a "very positive" outlook for Foster's recovery, though Kubiak stopped short of saying Foster would definitely be healed in time for the Sept. 11 opener against Indianapolis.

"Until he hops back out there, there's a concern," Kubiak said. "But it sounds like we're heading in the right direction."

Information from ESPN.com senior NFL writer John Clayton and The Associated Press was used in this report.

link to story. (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6913877/arian-foster-houston-texans-tweets-mri-photo-hamstring)

Ya' know, this is beginning to look more and more like Arian Foster doesn't like to conform to normalcy nor move on from something.

This shit is becoming an obsession with him, trying to one-up people like a 12-year-old kid on XboxLive who can't get over how badly he gets beaten in a multi-player shooter game so he sends snotty messages to your inbox.

If I'm a betting man, his mom is going to need to go have a talk with Kubiak and McNair and Rick Smith about how they should just relax and try to understand Arian better. ????? EDIT: On second thought, I bet she's going to chew her son's ass out now. Moms defend their own, like they should, but every mom has a limit...and she came here and gave us details about her family and showed great love for her son, only to now probably see that the Texans are going to be dealing with him about his decision-making.

Whether it was fake or real, it's not what Bob McNair likes to see from his employees. And I bet Kubiak and Smith are as equally unhappy about this. But hey, it's juuuust having fuuuuuun. Right?

Now, back to what I said pages ago: Teams are going to start tying contractual language in with social media exploits by its players. I don't know what it will look like, in terms of the construction of it, but this is the foundational instance of how twitter is going to change the landscape of things.

Geez Louise.

Rey
08-31-2011, 06:57 PM
I've been reading this stuff and I can't believe people are making that big a deal about all of this.

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2011, 06:59 PM
If you remember, when Arian was being held out during his rookie season, and everyone was wondering why??????............ the answer came out that this was the team's response to significant "maturity and self-discipline concerns" he displayed.

He settled down. Now he has become "big man on campus" and the question has to be asked if he is reverting to old behaviorial patterns.

ObsiWan
08-31-2011, 07:07 PM
Oh Lawd no!! We can't have folks having a sense of humor or "going off script". What next GP, should we censor every player?? No freedom of speech in Houston dammit. Say only those things cleared by the PR dept.

Geez is right.

GP
08-31-2011, 07:14 PM
If you remember, when Arian was being held out during his rookie season, and everyone was wondering why??????............ the answer came out that this was the team's response to significant "maturity and self-discipline concerns" he displayed.

He settled down. Now he has become "big man on campus" and the question has to be asked if he is reverting to old behaviorial patterns.

Oh Lawd no!! We can't have folks having a sense of humor or "going off script". What next GP, should we censor every player?? No freedom of speech in Houston dammit. Say only those things cleared by the PR dept.

Geez is right.

You know, Obsi, I think I would choose CND's evaluation or analysis of this against yours.

I'll re-post what I put over in the "Ok ya'll...." thread:

I just want to re-post (sort of like re-tweeting) what I said in post #33:

I'm entitled to my opinion, as are others, and I don't even recall anybody really "hating" on Arian for his style of communication on the Internets. I've said, and I will maintain and continue to say that anything a person tweets--due to the limited content space you are given on twitter--is going to have a good shot at being misunderstood if it's cryptic in nature or semi-condescending or sarcastic or emotionally-charged, etc.

If Arian played a joke on people, by posting a fake MRI--But remember what CND said, though, that it's a 3-to-4-week recovery on that particular MRI image--then Arian is doing exactly what I spelled out (above). He's using twitter to get someone's goat, to provoke a response and then to laugh at them and act like the over-reactionary "public" is guilty of being the bad guy here.

That, folks, is not cool. Is this guy a football player, or is he not? Would Peyton Manning get on twitter and do that? Tom Brady? Andre Johnson?

Just because he's good at his job, and because he's a star now, doesn't gain him slack with me. If anything, he should be so grateful for the opportunity and the responsibility that comes with his success that he would stop with the social media shenanigans.

Nobody here has a right to piss and moan about Eric Winston's cravings for the limelight unless you're ready to dish it out to Arian Foster too.

So this is what it has come to: Arian Foster using twitter to call out "sick" people in FFL's, then trying to condescend to a nationally-syndicated radio host (Cowherd), then half-ass apologizing for it, then mom coming here to better explain who Arian is and why people should relax about his style of communication, and now he tweets a photo (or fake photo) of his hamstring MRI, and the Texans are going to have a sit down with him.

Sounds like anti-awesomeness, if you ask me.

--------------

Arian got the fat head, thinks he's the shit, and a lot of you guys are being homers about it. No two ways about it. So many people here are ignoring the obvious and shouting down the "nay-sayers" so to speak.

He's in over his head, and the Texans are going to let him know that this will be the last of it. I suspect we won't be seeing Arian Foster tweets for a long, long time. Of course, Arian could choose to tell the Texans to stick it where the sun don't shine, and go sign with a new team when the time comes, but I have read that this is nowhere in his DNA to do so. Therefore, I think he tweeted his last tweet for a long time.

Is this what we want? A guy (Arian) who can't control the urge to get a reaction out of people, and who has a slew of defenders trying to tell the nay-sayers that they're just haters??? Man, sounds like Big Man on Campus stuff to me...everybody steer clear of the Big Man on Campus. If he needs help in class, give it to him. If he needs this or that, give it to him. Because he is awesomeness. And anything else would be anti-awesomeness.

I'll just chill out and relax now. :brando:

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2011, 07:28 PM

Just to clarify, the numbers you are referring to are actually the hospital's medical record number assigned to the patient.

PockyAF
08-31-2011, 07:30 PM
I'll just chill out and relax now. :brando:

I would reply to this drivel mess, but I'm more of a visual person. Which is why I'll use this picture to help describe my thoughts and sentiments towards you

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3216/2388013466_2f024dfd06.jpg

sense of humor, how does it work?

btw, Arian is the shit. herpaderp

GP
08-31-2011, 07:33 PM
From the comments section of the ESPN.com article:

CChappell03
The picture is NOT of Foster's hamstring. He has all you hoodwinked. He has admitted it wasn't his.
3 fans like this.
1 Hour Ago · Like · Reply · Flag

KennyKilledMe
He has? O RLY? I guess you and Foster are buddies and he told you this himself.
2 fans like this.
1 Hour Ago · Like · Flag

CChappell03
No dumbarse, he gave an interview with the Houston Chronicle and said he was just playing around and that it wasn't his leg.
1 Hour Ago · Like · Flag

CChappell03
Straight from the Houston Chronicle,

Today’s actions, however, will likely have larger implications. If you don’t know, Foster tweeted a MRI of what was presumed to be his hamstring.Analysis showed there was a tear.

How do I know this? ESPN treated the tweet as if it was breaking news, going live with the information on SportsCenter and having John Clayton fire off a tweet of his own – which it would have been, if it was accurate. But it wasn’t his MRI.

Regardless, ESPN’s medical expert said he expected Foster to be out 3-4 weeks, which, of course, directly contradicted information he relayed to the local media on Monday.

Obviously, something was amiss. Sure enough, Foster clarified, posting this on his account:

If I had a “significant injury” why post it? I’ll be fine, it was jus meant to make fun of the whole situation. Humor is lost nowadays.

I wonder if the Texans will see the humor in all of this. Or ESPN. He was being himself – having fun in this wacky, digital world we live in – but at what expense? He made his organization look suspect with the implication that the franchise would allow him to flaunt the results of an MRI, which wouldn’t be the case. And while you could blame ESPN for being hasty in its news judgment, do you think this is a matter to laugh off in Bristol? I’m watching ESPN at the moment – the network has already teased the Foster story again for inclusion in this hour’s recap.

The red bolded text, above, was a good point to make.

Foster claims humor is lost nowadays, but in my book...if you have to explain humor, it's not a joke by its very nature. What MIGHT be happening, is that you're PLAYING a joke on someone. Very different from humor. When playing a joke on someone, there is a person who is a target of the humor. The person IS the joke. See?

Now, how is this going to affect all parties involved? I bet this is being pointed out to Foster as we speak. I envision a meeting going something like this:

"You're not 'winning' with all this twitter activity, Arian. You know that, right? This has become a distraction. We have momentum now. The past three weeks we have steamrolled our opponents. Everybody's ass is on the line here, Arian. This is 'kinda a big deal' to the owner, the coaches, the staff, the players, the fans, everybody wants us to win. YOU are not 'winning' and this is not helping us 'win.' This, Arian, is going to stop."

I'm sure it might be a bit more colorful than that, obviously, but no doubt the message is being delivered directly to Arian and not via twitter.

GP
08-31-2011, 07:35 PM
I would reply to this drivel mess, but I'm more of a visual person. Which is why I'll use this picture to help describe my thoughts and sentiments towards you

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3216/2388013466_2f024dfd06.jpg

sense of humor, how does it work?

btw, Arian is the shit. herpaderp

Stay classy.

Double Barrel
08-31-2011, 07:38 PM
Foster claims humor is lost nowadays, but in my book...if you have to explain humor, it's not a joke by its very nature.

That's because you're reading from the wrong book.

Do you know how many people fail to understand George Carlin or Bill Hicks?

LOTS of them!

My mom hates Seinfeld because she can't see the humor. Not funny, or wrong book? :um:

But, by your standards, these guys aren't funny becuase the humor would have to be explained.

Riiiiiiiight. :ok: "meh"

HoustonFrog
08-31-2011, 07:47 PM
Foster likes to be kooky but kooky doesn't fly when you have med experts analyzing it and saying(I know mentioned here earlier)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6913877/arian-foster-houston-texans-tweets-mri-photo-hamstring

"The MRI scan tweeted by Foster demonstrates considerable muscle damage with bleeding and swelling," Kaplan said. "Treatment is conservative. Rest, physical therapy with stretching and ultrasound, and anti-inflammatory medicine will be employed. Foster will use a gradual strengthening program when he's ready. A return to the field would not be expected before three to four weeks. Premature exertion risks re-tear and longer convalescence."

GP
08-31-2011, 07:53 PM
That's because you're reading from the wrong book.

Do you know how many people fail to understand George Carlin or Bill Hicks?

LOTS of them!

My mom hates Seinfeld because she can't see the humor. Not funny, or wrong book? :um:

But, by your standards, these guys aren't funny becuase the humor would have to be explained.

Riiiiiiiight. :ok: "meh"

Oh I see now. You're throwing "meh" in there because I replied "meh" in the "VINNY IS BACK YAY! SUPER YAY!" thread. You're offended that I dared to reply with "meh" instead of yanking his yonker upon his re-arrival here???

Well, sir, let me explain my Arian Foster-type humor to you: EVERYONE was slobbering over Vinny's re-arrival here, so I went the funny route and went completely 180-degrees and said "Meh," thinking people would find the humor in ONE SINGULAR POST out of dozens and dozens of slobber-filled congratulatory posts aimed his way.

But, this is also getting connected to the thread where Arian's mom posted her own thread on here, and everybody did the same thing with her, hoisting her up on the chair of cheer and parading it through town. But this old Grinch wasn't so quick to Internet high-five her, and I'm an a-hole now.

I love how you guys get rope and go looking for rustlers to hang. You'd make a great character in Hang 'Em High.

DocBar
08-31-2011, 07:58 PM
I think GP has a "sick" fascination with this subject. I can understand this.:fishing:

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2011, 08:00 PM
Obviously, something was amiss. Sure enough, Foster clarified, posting this on his account:

If I had a “significant injury” why post it? I’ll be fine, it was jus meant to make fun of the whole situation. Humor is lost nowadays.

I don't see this as a confirmation of this NOT being his MRI.

His statement could just as well mean that, in posting the MRI image,
he simply did not feel that a lower grade strain/tear is a "significant injury." So he would have no qualms about tweeting it.

Unless there is a reliable statement that "this is NOT Foster's MRI," I consider myself left without an answer. (For whatever importance that may have to anyone.) And, may I add, that any RECURRENT hamstring injury is SIGNIFICANT.

steelbtexan
08-31-2011, 08:02 PM
Arian this is very Chad Johnsonesque of you.

This is a yr that for the Texans org sake you need to stay on the straight and narrow.

The reason Fitzgerald got paid like he did was that he is a star that can be the face of the Cards franchise. Arian, if you want to get paid the truly big $$$$, then it's about more than leading the league in rushing/TD's. It's about representing BoBBy and the Texans franchise in the most positive way you can. So far you've failed in this situation.

You're costing yourself $$$$ Arian and that's ashame cause it doesn't have to be this way.

Topher
08-31-2011, 08:08 PM
Oh I see now. You're throwing "meh" in there because I replied "meh" in the "VINNY IS BACK YAY! SUPER YAY!" thread. You're offended that I dared to reply with "meh" instead of yanking his yonker upon his re-arrival here???

Well, sir, let me explain my Arian Foster-type humor to you: EVERYONE was slobbering over Vinny's re-arrival here, so I went the funny route and went completely 180-degrees and said "Meh," thinking people would find the humor in ONE SINGULAR POST out of dozens and dozens of slobber-filled congratulatory posts aimed his way.

But, this is also getting connected to the thread where Arian's mom posted her own thread on here, and everybody did the same thing with her, hoisting her up on the chair of cheer and parading it through town.

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa370/wizardtroy92/1291347589981.jpg

Surreal McCoy
08-31-2011, 08:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzjf2ETVYDA

Playoffs
08-31-2011, 08:14 PM
Not the first or last time ESPN fell for twitter funnies...

Credit Irsay: Favre to Colts, Nothing But Funny
August 23rd, 2011 Luke Schultheis

In this day of digital media and social networking, it’s amazing how one simple tweet can cause mass chaos. On Sunday, when Indianapolis Colts’ owner Jim Irsay tweeted, “Brad,I’m in Hattiesburg…is it right or left at the Firechief?”, chaos welcomed company. Today, ESPN and dozens of media outlets are now following this as one of their lead stories. Leaving many to not only question if Peyton Manning will be ready for the regular season opener, but also if the Colts are actually interested in pursuing the services of the 41 year old Brett Favre, the former star quarterback who simply can’t escape the headlines.

Give Jim Irsay credit, he not only got us, he got us good. The fact that this is even a story speaks volumes to the persona that Jim Irsay has created on Twitter. Through his giveaways, rock ‘n roll song lyrics, and trippy sayings, Jim Irsay is nothing short of a hot commodity on twitter, eclipsing 53,000 followers, a status that only a very select few have obtained. He’s a person that people simply want to follow. With one simple tweet, Jack….er I mean….Jim didn’t try to dodge and jump his way over the health candlestick of Peyton Manning, he ignited it himself, raising even more questions about the status of the Colts’ superstar quarterback...

PockyAF
08-31-2011, 08:15 PM

I don't get this post.. I just checked the thread you were referring to, and no one even reply to your post in there. Your post was like a fat chick at the middle school dance that no one paid attention to... yet, you're throwing it out here now like it caused some kind a uproar in the community?

pfffffft. No one gave a shit.

you're a bigger attention whore than a 16 year old girl on myspace, mixed with a senile mind that would rival Al Davis.

Which is sad, assuming that you're over 30 years old, and you're fighting for attention on an internet forum.

sakebomb
08-31-2011, 08:17 PM
Tweeting is lame.

GP
08-31-2011, 08:28 PM
I don't get this post.. I just checked the thread you were referring to, and no one even reply to your post in there. Your post was like a fat chick at the middle school dance that no one paid attention to... yet, you're throwing it out here now like it caused some kind a uproar in the community?

pfffffft. No one gave a shit.

you're a bigger attention whore than a 16 year old girl on myspace, mixed with a senile mind that would rival Al Davis.

Which is sad, assuming that you're over 30 years old, and you're fighting for attention on an internet forum.

No, just pointing out the obvious hypocrisy going on.

All I hear is "GP, you think YOU know better than the Texans?" when I criticize a move or am critical of them.

Now I happen to be in-line with what they're doing (They, like myself, find his twittering to be a distraction) and I'm wrong for agreeing with the route the Texans brass are taking here???

I'll just let that sit and stew for awhile. I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't here. And for that reason, I think it's time for people to admit that they are not criticizing my idea(s), they're criticizing the person making the posts.

I feel Arian Foster's pain! People don't get me.

Errant Hothy
08-31-2011, 08:29 PM
Just to clarify, the numbers you are referring to are actually the hospital's medical record number assigned to the patient.

Thanks for the clarification. I never thought that the numbers were his SSN. Just proving that they couldn't be.

GP
08-31-2011, 08:34 PM
I don't see this as a confirmation of this NOT being his MRI.

His statement could just as well mean that, in posting the MRI image,
he simply did not feel that a lower grade strain/tear is a "significant injury." So he would have no qualms about tweeting it.

Unless there is a reliable statement that "this is NOT Foster's MRI," I consider myself left without an answer. (For whatever importance that may have to anyone.) And, may I add, that any RECURRENT hamstring injury is SIGNIFICANT.

Agreed. He's either photoshopping and doing a bang-up job of it, or he's downplaying what you describe as a 3-to-4-week recovery time for such an injury.

If he photoshop'd it, it's mildly amusing. If he's thinking that being out for possibly the first game of the season (maybe more) is "not significant" then it's insanely hilarious. Right, everybody?

Either way, he screwed himself. I hope it was worth the giggle he got out of it. I bet the Texans front office and coaches and GM (and owner) are just crying from all the laughter right now.

fiasco west
08-31-2011, 08:35 PM
I've been reading this stuff and I can't believe people are making that big a deal about all of this.

Ditto.

I also doubt this is a big distraction to the team. Those guys know each other, if Andre Johnson is worried about Foster's hammy I'm sure he can just ask if that was the real picture or not to Foster himself.

It is a distraction to us though as fans because we have to worry about it. To the team? They will know before us if Foster can play week 1 or not regardless and will be prepared for it.

I doubt it is a distraction to Tate and Ward who must be licking their chops at an opportunity to get some carries in Foster's absence.

A Distraction is something IMO that the team can't quite control and has to worry about... a court case for example. Where the team doesn't know what is going to happen to the player.

This doesn't seem to rate very high on the distraction meter. The next few interviews with Texan players and coaches might include a question about Foster...so what?

The team will do their internal discipline and move on.

To me a big distraction is something that lingers on throughout the season. It's as much a distraction as any injury to a big player is. In that we hope he can get back on the field and remain healthy ASAP.

GP
08-31-2011, 09:05 PM
Ditto.

I also doubt this is a big distraction to the team. Those guys know each other, if Andre Johnson is worried about Foster's hammy I'm sure he can just ask if that was the real picture or not to Foster himself.

It is a distraction to us though as fans because we have to worry about it. To the team? They will know before us if Foster can play week 1 or not regardless and will be prepared for it.

I doubt it is a distraction to Tate and Ward who must be licking their chops at an opportunity to get some carries in Foster's absence.

A Distraction is something IMO that the team can't quite control and has to worry about... a court case for example. Where the team doesn't know what is going to happen to the player.

This doesn't seem to rate very high on the distraction meter. The next few interviews with Texan players and coaches might include a question about Foster...so what?

To me a big distraction is something that lingers on throughout the season. It's as much a distraction as any injury to a big player is. In that we hope he can get back on the field and remain healthy ASAP.

It won't be an on-going distraction because the Texans brass have intervened when they should have.

But I will point out that:

(A) One reason that is thrown around as to why he went undrafted is because of wonky behavior issues, like this one we've got right now.

(B) He sat out a small portion of the Raiders game last season, due to internal disciplinary reasons.

(C) The great Tweet-A-Thon began, IMO, when he made a wonky reply about what it would take to get back to form in camp...he said something like "162 reps man. 162 reps." This wasn't a tweet, but it was in response to a journalist's question--And if you look at what he's doing, he's taking shots at the media with all these tweets; he's frustrated by them and he's letting it show in his antics on twitter.

And it continued and snowballed with the "FFL'ers are 'sick' people," and the Cowherd tweet that cut him down to size, and then the half-ass apology/"It was taken out of context" tweet, and now the MRI image tweet.

It's not like he gunned down a dude outside his carwash (Marvin Harrison) but by the same token, it's distracting. You can't sit here and look at the series of events and not think that it's not distracting.

If anything, I am becoming a bigger Ben Tate fan by the day. This stuff has even got me reconsidering my own involvement in social media. It's growing old, IMO. All of it.

fiasco west
08-31-2011, 09:17 PM
It won't be an on-going distraction because the Texans brass have intervened when they should have.

But I will point out that:

(A) One reason that is thrown around as to why he went undrafted is because of wonky behavior issues, like this one we've got right now.

(B) He sat out a small portion of the Raiders game last season, due to internal disciplinary reasons.

(C) The great Tweet-A-Thon began, IMO, when he made a wonky reply about what it would take to get back to form in camp...he said something like "162 reps man. 162 reps." This wasn't a tweet, but it was in response to a journalist's question--And if you look at what he's doing, he's taking shots at the media with all these tweets; he's frustrated by them and he's letting it show in his antics on twitter.

And it continued and snowballed with the "FFL'ers are 'sick' people," and the Cowherd tweet that cut him down to size, and then the half-ass apology/"It was taken out of context" tweet, and now the MRI image tweet.

It's not like he gunned down a dude outside his carwash (Marvin Harrison) but by the same token, it's distracting. You can't sit here and look at the series of events and not think that it's not distracting.

If anything, I am becoming a bigger Ben Tate fan by the day. This stuff has even got me reconsidering my own involvement in social media. It's growing old, IMO. All of it.

That's why it's not that much of a distraction. It distracted the team for a moment to think of how they will discipline him and move on. What he did to earn himself from missing a half against Oakland...I don't know. I remember that game and no one knew why he was sitting out.

A big distraction is what is going on in Tennessee. The team has to worry every day about "Can we get Chris in here this week?", "Can we get his contract signed?" then when another player signs a contract. "Does he want more money now?" or "Should we trade him?"

This is something they can't really control. It's in the hands of CJ and his agent, all they can do his hope they can get a deal done to get it over with. This Arian thing seems to have been dealt with by the team already.

I really don't mind his attitude as I said in the other thread. Great teams have all types of personalities and if the coach can't handle those personalities than it may be time to get a new coach. Unless the personality is making enemies with teammates like Terrell Owens then I don't have a problem with it at all.

Maybe he is letting the media get to him though since players really can't win a battle against the Media.

Rey
08-31-2011, 09:18 PM
Ditto.

There was a doctor on 610 earlier and he had word from a radiologist that it was a grade 1 type of injury. Grade 2 at the highest.

He seemed to indicate that the injury was not severe, but like Cnd has said, the biggest thing is re-injury/ lingering effects.

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2011, 09:21 PM
Ditto.

Whatever word you want to assign to describe these recent "occurrences," they equate to the same. It's plastered all over the net, papers and TV/cable media. I guarantee that McNair and the Texans have been bombarded with unwanted calls. All this attention is not creating any positive PR or image towards the Texans. It HAS turned into a fiasco and distraction from the outside AND from within. This is THREE out of THREE seasons that the Texans have had to deal with Foster's breaking of the rules. There will now be a natural paranoia of wondering if or when there will be a next time.

GP
08-31-2011, 09:27 PM
Whatever word you want to assign to describe these recent "occurrences," they equate to the same. It's plastered all over the net, papers and TV/cable media. I guarantee that McNair and the Texans have been bombarded with unwanted calls. All this attention is not creating any positive PR or image towards the Texans. It HAS turned into a fiasco and distraction from the outside AND from within. This is THREE out of THREE seasons that the Texans have had to deal with Foster's breaking of the rules. There will now be a natural paranoia of wondering if or when there will be a next time.

All I think of, now, is CLINTON PORTIS.

A great RB who had a social awkwardness problem. Remember how he used to play dress-up and wear bizarre stuff, just to get a rise out of people?

It was a schtick he had, a gimmick. At first, people loved it. Then when his play on the field declined, it wasn't so fun anymore.

If Arian Foster doesn't want to be treated like a piece of meat, he needs to stop skinning himself alive and hanging on a hook before the lions.

That's some deep stuff right there, just nearly "rep worthy" actually.

Play with fire, and you're going to get burned. So just put the damn matches and gasoline down already.

Rey
08-31-2011, 09:31 PM

So do you advocate trading him now before he really does something crazy like getting a traffic ticket?

Seriously, between cushing and brown being busted for banned substances, jacoby's drunken incident, aj being named and possibly subpoenaed for his Miami involvement stuff and mario's drag racing I don't think this is that big of a deal.

I feel dirty having talked about it this much.

GP
08-31-2011, 09:32 PM
The other thing I noticed, is that both the Texans analysts during the Saints game...and the 49ers analysts in the previous game, they both said the fans are discussing the transition of Mario to OLB.

Don't you guys think for one second that there isn't a lot of eyes on these boards, who appear as "guests" at the bottom of the webpage where you can see who is on here.

If it's a slow news day tomorrow, expect a lot of attention to the MRI image tweet by Foster and the ensuing action by the Texans.

There's eventually going to be a big story on the issue of Social Media, and I know there has been a few already, but this stuff is getting stupid in a hurry.

Social Media is dangerous if you represent a company or professional sports team. It cuts both ways. I'm interested to see what all happens with the whole advent of social media. I really am. It's very interesting.

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2011, 09:51 PM
So do you advocate trading him now before he really does something crazy like getting a traffic ticket?

Seriously, between cushing and brown being busted for banned substances, jacoby's drunken incident, aj being named and possibly subpoenaed for his Miami involvement stuff and mario's drag racing I don't think this is that big of a deal.

I feel dirty having talked about it this much.

I can certainly understand how you feel. I would have to ask you, though, how many of the other named players broke team rules or repeated said incidences three times, let alone in three consecutive seasons while being with the Texans. Especially, when you are willing to break team rules, what might you decide that you won't do next time. Although it may only be a concern "emotionally" to some, it would be a great concern to any coach. Let's hope that after a "heart-to-heart" with Kubiak or whomever, Foster continues to make his mark on the field and in the media........not in the media alone.

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2011, 10:06 PM
McClain reported to 610 that he had confirmed that the MRI tweeted by Foster was indeed his own.

From Mark Berman's column:

"We are aware that Arian tweeted a picture of his MRI," said Rick Smith, Texans general manager, in a statement released by the team. "It's a violation of team policy to disclose medical information via social media and he is aware of that.

"We will handle the situation internally."link (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nfl/110831-arian-foster-breaks-team-rules-with-tweet#ixzz1Wf7mFvPw)

Texans_Chick
08-31-2011, 10:08 PM
All things being equal, I'd preferred for Arian Foster not to have put his MRI out there to the world.

Even so, in the big scheme of things, I don't think it changes anything in the way that the Colts prepare for week 1. And, for a franchise that is as under the radar as the Texans are, there are worse things that could happen than a player for this team showing an actual personality to the world at large.

Trap_Star
08-31-2011, 10:11 PM
All I think of, now, is CLINTON PORTIS.

A great RB who had a social awkwardness problem. Remember how he used to play dress-up and wear bizarre stuff, just to get a rise out of people?

It was a schtick he had, a gimmick. At first, people loved it. Then when his play on the field declined, it wasn't so fun anymore.

If Arian Foster doesn't want to be treated like a piece of meat, he needs to stop skinning himself alive and hanging on a hook before the lions.

That's some deep stuff right there, just nearly "rep worthy" actually.

Play with fire, and you're going to get burned. So just put the damn matches and gasoline down already.

portis was awesome. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6CslpftOe4)

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2011, 10:15 PM
All things being equal, I'd preferred for Arian Foster not to have put his MRI out there to the world.

Even so, in the big scheme of things, I don't think it changes anything in the way that the Colts prepare for week 1. And, for a franchise that is as under the radar as the Texans are, there are worse things that could happen than a player for this team showing an actual personality to the world at large.

And I would agree with you totally.........except if it involves breaking team rules.

Texans_Chick
08-31-2011, 10:20 PM
And I would agree with you totally.........except if it involves breaking team rules.

I liked what "TexMexMom" said on the subject:

"That's why I know this game and all its byproducts, good and bad, will not change who Arian Foster is. So relax. He's a good guy with good intentions and if he screws up again, you know then he's just like the rest of us."

He made a mistake. The Texans are dealing with it. Privately. So then it is a move along, nothing to see here moment.

That it happens to raise the Texans profile in a way that shows actual personality isn't totally a bad thing. I love this franchise and I know a bit about the interesting personalities on the team, but to the rest of the world it is like Wonder Bread thinking the Texans are bland.

Vinny
08-31-2011, 10:25 PM
I liked what "TexMexMom" said on the subject:

"That's why I know this game and all its byproducts, good and bad, will not change who Arian Foster is. So relax. He's a good guy with good intentions and if he screws up again, you know then he's just like the rest of us."

He made a mistake. The Texans are dealing with it. Privately. So then it is a move along, nothing to see here moment.

That it happens to raise the Texans profile in a way that shows actual personality isn't totally a bad thing. I love this franchise and I know a bit about the interesting personalities on the team, but to the rest of the world it is like Wonder Bread thinking the Texans are bland.

If NFL defenses can't stop the man, then the slicked up marketing campaign of the greatest Marketing Franchise in the history of the NFL can't stop Foster either....or something like that.

Texan_Bill
08-31-2011, 10:30 PM
I just wanna say this (off topic), I'm glad to see our friend Vinny, getting back involved!!! We've missed you bro, and this place hasn't been the same without you (irrespective of the differences we've had)..... TexansTalk is a better place with you here!!!

GP
08-31-2011, 10:36 PM
I can certainly understand how you feel. I would have to ask you, though, how many of the other named players broke team rules or repeated said incidences three times, let alone in three consecutive seasons while being with the Texans. Especially, when you are willing to break team rules, what might you decide that you won't do next time. Although it may only be a concern "emotionally" to some, it would be a great concern to any coach. Let's hope that after a "heart-to-heart" with Kubiak or whomever, Foster continues to make his mark on the field and in the media........not in the media alone.

I think tweeting will be a topic at the next coach/player meeting at Reliant.

I have to agree here, as well.

The Colts would not be able to stop Foster if he were to be playing in the week 1 game.

And unless the reports of 3-to-4-weeks are wrong, he won't be playing in the game. So therefore....I don't think they can stop Tate and Ward in week 1, either. Not if our passing game is going gang-busters, that is. Honestly, James Casey is the guy throwing huge wrenches into any Texans opponent's machinery. He's going to frustrate a lot of d-coordinators this year, IMO.

The Colts are screwed. Last year it was a track meet, up and down the field, as long as we scored after they scored we were good to go. This year, the new defense is going to be an ongoing nuisance for whatever QB the Colts put out there.

GP
08-31-2011, 10:38 PM
I just wanna say this (off topic), I'm glad to see our friend Vinny, getting back involved!!! We've missed you bro, and this place hasn't been the same without you (irrespective of the differences we've had)..... TexansTalk is a better place with you here!!!

I am, too. I should have clarified my one-word response in the Welcome Back thread, so that's my bad.

Vinny has been good people to me on here.

I was Foster'esque in my "meh" reply. Although I think it was just taken out of context....:kitten:

drunkcookie
08-31-2011, 10:43 PM
Am I missing the part where Foster ate a baby, or shot a bald-eagle or something?

I don't agree with going out there and blatantly violating team rules and all (though I've violated company policy a time or two at my job), but it's not like everyone in the NFL didn't already know Foster had reaggravated his hamstring injury... I think people keep forgetting that we all already knew that it was very anti-awesomeness...

Texans_Chick
08-31-2011, 10:46 PM
The Texans have talked plenty about Twitter to their players. This I know. I'd rather them continue to reach out versus making their Twitter go away like Mario Williams did. The Texans need their players to connect with fans. Winning will do that. But it is more fun as a fan when you know a bit about the players.

As for week 1, I think I'm going to write about this more after the Vikings game but Dennison basically inferred in his answers to questions at the Texans luncheon that the offense to work with a bunch of running backs. They weren't too successful with fungible running backs early with Kubiak's offense, but Dennison has had a lot of experience with RB by committee. Won't make fantasy football guys very happy but too bad.

Lucky
08-31-2011, 11:15 PM
They weren't too successful with fungible running backs early with Kubiak's offense...
That's probably because those RBs sucked.

I know you're a big fan of twitter. But, I just don't see the value from a team standpoint, or a fan's. Do I really need to know what these guys ate for breakfast or what movie they're watching? Am I really learning anything substantial? I realize that it makes the ESPN crawl look like yesterday's news. But if I ran an NFL team, I would have all of the players' "tweets" filtered through the team's site/ twitter account. Just good business.

Mr. White
08-31-2011, 11:20 PM
Now McClain says he expects him to play against the Colts.

http://blog.chron.com/nfl/2011/08/expect-foster-to-be-ready-for-colts/

Since the Texans returned from San Francisco, Foster hasn’t been limping. He’s been jogging at two practices. They left him behind to rehab rather than make the trip to Minnesota for the last preseason game.

I’ve talked to just about everyone about Foster’s hamstring, including Foster, and I expect him to play against the Colts.

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2011, 11:27 PM
The Texans have talked plenty about Twitter to their players. This I know. I'd rather them continue to reach out versus making their Twitter go away like Mario Williams did. The Texans need their players to connect with fans. Winning will do that. But it is more fun as a fan when you know a bit about the players.

As for week 1, I think I'm going to write about this more after the Vikings game but Dennison basically inferred in his answers to questions at the Texans luncheon that the offense to work with a bunch of running backs. They weren't too successful with fungible running backs early with Kubiak's offense, but Dennison has had a lot of experience with RB by committee. Won't make fantasy football guys very happy but too bad.

With the premise of Foster gone at least week 1, would you think the "primary" RB duties (even if they go somewhat by committee) would go to the only real vet. Ward?

Scooter
09-01-2011, 12:51 AM
between getting him healthy and punishment for the MRI post, it wouldnt surprise me to see foster sit atleast half, if not the entire first game.

"We are aware that Arian tweeted a picture of his MRI," Texans general manager Rick Smith said in a statement. "It is a violation of team policy to disclose medical information via social media and he is aware of that. We will handle the situation internally."

something so public, i think the texans be a little more strict than they would like to. he was kept out a quarter last season for missing a team meeting, my guess is this will carry stronger discipline.

ObsiWan
09-01-2011, 02:41 AM

I know you're a big fan of twitter. But, I just don't see the value from a team standpoint, or a fan's. Do I really need to know what these guys ate for breakfast or what movie they're watching? Am I really learning anything substantial? I realize that it makes the ESPN crawl look like yesterday's news. But if I ran an NFL team, I would have all of the players' "tweets" filtered through the team's site/ twitter account. Just good business.

I understand where you're coming from but you need to consider that the younger demographic - your business' future/potential season ticket holders - love that stuff. Old farts like me don't do twitter and barely do facebook but the younguns (like my 20-something daughter) eat it up. So to filter/censor that social media outlet is isolating your potential future customer base. To do so is a business risk. Its a risk (of something dumb being tweeted) vs. risk (of totally turning off your future customer base) trade that the front office will need to take a hard look at.

Ryan
09-01-2011, 08:11 AM
between getting him healthy and punishment for the MRI post, it wouldnt surprise me to see foster sit atleast half, if not the entire first game.

"We are aware that Arian tweeted a picture of his MRI," Texans general manager Rick Smith said in a statement. "It is a violation of team policy to disclose medical information via social media and he is aware of that. We will handle the situation internally."

something so public, i think the texans be a little more strict than they would like to. he was kept out a quarter last season for missing a team meeting, my guess is this will carry stronger discipline.

That's something to save for the Oakland game or something a bit less important than the Colts, i doubt any punishment will be handed out before then.

GP
09-01-2011, 10:47 AM

I'm in 100% support of that idea.

Siphon all tweets through Texans P.R. department. I know that seems like "Big Brother" stuff, but these players are employees of a business...a business driven by marketing and entertainment production.

Makes sense to say, "You know what? if you play for the Texans...you cease all broadcasting of social media. If you want to send out a message, you let Brad in P.R. know what you want to send out. If it doesn't support the franchise in a positive way, to our liking and at our discretion, it won't get published. If you don't want a paycheck from us, keep tweeting on your own."

Make this thing a standard clause in every contract. No more shenanigans. No more hijinks. No more having to internally discipline for questionable social media activities.

Misrepresenting the franchise by doing "wrong" public activities, such as attending illegal events (Mario's street racing, for example) or getting a DUI or getting into a fight at a bar is misrepresenting the image of the professional franchise you work for. And so is the questionable use of social media. It's all the same ball of wax. Period.

Texans_Chick
09-01-2011, 03:16 PM
With the premise of Foster gone at least week 1, would you think the "primary" RB duties (even if they go somewhat by committee) would go to the only real vet. Ward?

Mathis - Freeney week 1. Who do you want to handle pass protection? The guy who has lots of experience at it or Tate? I'd expect Ward + a bit of Tate. They don't want to signal run every time they put Tate in. That's not to say Tate can't pass pro, but he is totally unproven at it in regular game situation.

Kubiak trusts vets more. Hence the Chris Brown thing. Slaton got early touches as a rookie through sheer desperation.

Ultimately, given his draft position and age, they'd like to give Tate more opportunities. He a good size for the offense. But pretty much the guy who CAN'T get hurt is Schaub, and they will want to see that Tate can pass pro and not limit what they can do on offense.

Texans_Chick
09-01-2011, 03:21 PM

I'm not sure you could really filter tweets through a team Twitter account and still have it be worth doing. Best approach is give quality training + expect them to be mature about it. Vast majority of players are cool with their use of social media, and if the Texans restricted it, it would be a player unfriendly move because it wouldn't allow players to market their personal brand.

Social media is particularly important in football where there's tons of players and they wear masks. If players are to do outreach to fans, particularly young ones, it is the best way to do it.

infantrycak
09-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Mathis - Freeney week 1. Who do you want to handle pass protection? The guy who has lots of experience at it or Tate? I'd expect Ward + a bit of Tate. They don't want to signal run every time they put Tate in. That's not to say Tate can't pass pro, but he is totally unproven at it in regular game situation.

Kubiak trusts vets more. Hence the Chris Brown thing. Slaton got early touches as a rookie through sheer desperation.

Ultimately, given his draft position and age, they'd like to give Tate more opportunities. He a good size for the offense. But pretty much the guy who CAN'T get hurt is Schaub, and they will want to see that Tate can pass pro and not limit what they can do on offense.

Overall I agree with you on philosophy but Tate has looked good in pass protection albeit pre-season. I don't think they are so dogmatic that they are doing this purely vet v. virtual rookie. Both will get plenty of chances in this last game and I think they will consider the tape as well. If Foster doesn't play I think it will end up near 50/50. Who starts is immaterial.