PDA

View Full Version : Foster says he’ll be ready for week 1, calls some fantasy owners ‘sick’

Pages : 1 [2]

GlassHalfFull
09-01-2011, 02:29 PM
I understand where you're coming from but you need to consider that the younger demographic - your business' future/potential season ticket holders - love that stuff. Old farts like me don't do twitter and barely do facebook but the younguns (like my 20-something daughter) eat it up. So to filter/censor that social media outlet is isolating your potential future customer base. To do so is a business risk. Its a risk (of something dumb being tweeted) vs. risk (of totally turning off your future customer base) trade that the front office will need to take a hard look at.

ObsiWan good point makes he.

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/e/e0/Yoda_SWSB.jpg

Vinny
09-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Overall I agree with you on philosophy but Tate has looked good in pass protection albeit pre-season. I don't think they are so dogmatic that they are doing this purely vet v. virtual rookie. Both will get plenty of chances in this last game and I think they will consider the tape as well. If Foster doesn't play I think it will end up near 50/50. Who starts is immaterial.I'm thinking 70/30 Ward/Tate. Texans don't really have "passing downs" since we use so much faking...I thought Tate had a few breakdowns in protection with the 2's. I just picked up Ward in a league where both were available (I have Foster). Foster won't miss much time so I went with short term vet over long term talent.

infantrycak
09-01-2011, 02:35 PM
I'm thinking 70/30 Ward/Tate. Texans don't really have "passing downs" since we use so much faking...I thought Tate had a few breakdowns in protection with the 2's. I just picked up Ward in a league where both were available (I have Foster). Foster won't miss much time so I went with short term vet over long term talent.

Hmmm. I missed Tate whiffing in pass pro. But I will certainly agree Kubiak (and Shanahan) will ride the hot RB so if either one went hot they would get the majority of carries.

Texans_Chick
09-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Hmmm. I missed Tate whiffing in pass pro. But I will certainly agree Kubiak (and Shanahan) will ride the hot RB so if either one went hot they would get the majority of carries.

I'm looking at more how Kubiak/Dennison have handled RBs both in Houston and in Denver. If you listen to them and see who they acquire and who they play, they are very reluctant to hand the keys to the offense to unproven players.

I think from a football prospective, the Texans are fine and I don't want them rushing Foster back. From a fantasy football perspective, in the short term at least, fantasy peoples are not going to be happy if they handcuff to Tate and think he's going to get majority of carries....though week 1, if the Texans have the game they want, and the Colts play the way they have with run defense, there will be tons of carries to whatever running backs have functioning legs.

Currently in preseason standings, the Texans are #1 in defense, not in top 5 for passing offense, but in top 5 in rushing offense. If the Texans defense can actually get stops, and force punts, and maybe get good field position, the Texans offense will run the hades out of the ball with all the opportunities.

TexMexMom
09-01-2011, 03:10 PM
I'm in 100% support of that idea.

Siphon all tweets through Texans P.R. department. I know that seems like "Big Brother" stuff, but these players are employees of a business...a business driven by marketing and entertainment production.

Makes sense to say, "You know what? if you play for the Texans...you cease all broadcasting of social media. If you want to send out a message, you let Brad in P.R. know what you want to send out. If it doesn't support the franchise in a positive way, to our liking and at our discretion, it won't get published. If you don't want a paycheck from us, keep tweeting on your own."

Make this thing a standard clause in every contract. No more shenanigans. No more hijinks. No more having to internally discipline for questionable social media activities.

Misrepresenting the franchise by doing "wrong" public activities, such as attending illegal events (Mario's street racing, for example) or getting a DUI or getting into a fight at a bar is misrepresenting the image of the professional franchise you work for. And so is the questionable use of social media. It's all the same ball of wax. Period.

Or we could just build human-like robots something akin to the male version of the Stepford Wives.

hobie
09-01-2011, 03:10 PM
I'm looking at more how Kubiak/Dennison have handled RBs both in Houston and in Denver. If you listen to them and see who they acquire and who they play, they are very reluctant to hand the keys to the offense to unproven players.

I think from a football prospective, the Texans are fine and I don't want them rushing Foster back. From a fantasy football perspective, in the short term at least, fantasy peoples are not going to be happy if they handcuff to Tate and think he's going to get majority of carries....though week 1, if the Texans have the game they want, and the Colts play the way they have with run defense, there will be tons of carries to whatever running backs have functioning legs.

Currently in preseason standings, the Texans are #1 in defense, not in top 5 for passing offense, but in top 5 in rushing offense. If the Texans defense can actually get stops, and force punts, and maybe get good field position, the Texans offense will run the hades out of the ball with all the opportunities.

If that is happening... then that should be the second straight opening game victory over the Colts !

ChampionTexan
09-01-2011, 03:15 PM

So given the uncertainty about Foster, any chance Slaton makes the 53 man roster if he plays tonight and has a decent game? That obviously would mean carrying four backs, but under the circumstances, they might be open to that - even if it's only for a week or three.

Dutchrudder
09-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Or we could just build human-like robots something akin to the male version of the Stepford Wives.

They already made those, I used to have one when I was a kid:

http://sale.images.woot.com/NFL_Vibrating_Football5enStandard.jpg

I will admit, it was pretty awesome. :D

GP
09-01-2011, 03:20 PM

The speed bump in the grocery store parking lot is not there for you nor I.

It's there for the one or two people who have sped through it going 50 mph. So now we all have to slow down to a crawl in our cars and go over it.

Doesn't seem fair to punish the many for the transgressions of the few, but that's what happens when you have to police your own turf...sometimes you have to spread the love around.

The 49ers banned their tailgating for awhile because of the shooting situation. A lot of people think that's too extreme, but I think a good healthy dose of a "timeout" for everybody gets the message across: Stop the shenanigans, or else.

TexMexMom
09-01-2011, 03:31 PM

It's there for the one or two people who have sped through it going 50 mph. So now we all have to slow down to a crawl in our cars and go over it.

Doesn't seem fair to punish the many for the transgressions of the few, but that's what happens when you have to police your own turf...sometimes you have to spread the love around.

The 49ers banned their tailgating for awhile because of the shooting situation. A lot of people think that's too extreme, but I think a good healthy dose of a "timeout" for everybody gets the message across: Stop the shenanigans, or else.

Well, with most folks....a fine or a simple talking to would do the trick. I think that'll be appropriate and likely in this situation. I would hardly liken several shootings outside a stadium to a tweet with an MRI, but maybe some do feel it's a fair analogy.

GP
09-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Well, with most folks....a fine or a simple talking to would do the trick. I think that'll be appropriate and likely in this situation. I would hardly liken several shootings outside a stadium to a tweet with an MRI, but maybe some do feel it's a fair analogy.

I didn't intentionally link those two in order to correlate that they are on an equal footing or something, that's you reading your opinion of me into it. It was the most recent situation that had a "ban" for the masses, in order to show how such a move might be needed.

I'm done here. I've tried in HUGE ways to be nice, but you're not having any of it.

You're the proud momma, I'm the big bad wolf. I get it already. Your son is misunderstood, you're trying to defend him, and I made the mistake of taking an opposing stance on it.

I even sent you positive rep and a nice comment a few minutes ago, but now I wish I had never done it. Thanks for the memories.

michaelm
09-01-2011, 03:40 PM

The analogy is inaccurate.

In the speed bump example, they are trying to control the actions of a virtually infinite number of anonymous people. An open system, so to speak.
For a football team, all of the players are known, and can be disciplined on a specific case by case basis.

TexMexMom
09-01-2011, 03:46 PM
I didn't intentionally link those two in order to correlate that they are on an equal footing or something, that's you reading your opinion of me into it. It was the most recent situation that had a "ban" for the masses, in order to show how such a move might be needed.

I'm done here. I've tried in HUGE ways to be nice, but you're not having any of it.

You're the proud momma, I'm the big bad wolf. I get it already. Your son is misunderstood, you're trying to defend him, and I made the mistake of taking an opposing stance on it.

I even sent you positive rep and a nice comment a few minutes ago, but now I wish I had never done it. Thanks for the memories.

C'mon now, there's no reason to take your ball and go home. After reading this colossal thread, I took you for a man who likes to debate. You have good reasoning and communication skills. I guess I didn't take into consideration the inability for any of us to distinguish tone via the web.

My apologies if you feel I've offended you. I certainly don't feel that you've offended me. Or Arian. I think you have strong opinions and while I'm not looking to change those, I would think you're prepared to back them up.

Again, I'm sorry. I thought this was enjoyable. For both of us.

Double Barrel
09-01-2011, 03:50 PM
I didn't intentionally link those two in order to correlate that they are on an equal footing or something, that's you reading your opinion of me into it.

Are you really pointing that particular charge at another?

Jeesh, man. That's rich.

Dutchrudder
09-01-2011, 03:51 PM
The analogy is inaccurate.

In the speed bump example, they are trying to control the actions of a virtually infinite number of anonymous people. An open system, so to speak.
For a football team, all of the players are known, and can be disciplined on a specific case by case basis.

It's not a perfect analogy, but you know what GP's getting at. The situation is more like an employee disclosing company confidential information publicly. Essentially, if you can't trust your employees to be responsible with the information, then you need to clamp down on them in some way. Given that social media is really unnecessary for the players to perform their job, filtering it for them doesn't seem like that big of an issue.

Texans_Chick
09-01-2011, 03:59 PM

:texans chick:

I think you are making much too much sense for the interwebs.

Double Barrel
09-01-2011, 03:59 PM
It's not a perfect analogy, but you know what GP's getting at. The situation is more like an employee disclosing company confidential information publicly. Essentially, if you can't trust your employees to be responsible with the information, then you need to clamp down on them in some way. Given that social media is really unnecessary for the players to perform their job, filtering it for them doesn't seem like that big of an issue.

I don't necessarily agree with Foster releasing his MRI to the public. It's different, that's for sure.

But one of the on-going topics we have in Houston is the squeaky-clean image of the Houston Texans. An oft-quoted Vinny phrase - "marketing company with a football division" - comes to mind. And that has obviously been reflected in operations as they clearly avoid any players that have potentially dubious histories.

So when ANY news breaks that's not happy and shiny about the franchise, it really seems like it's a Really Big Deal because we have very little points of reference. Texans fans are not used to any smudges on the mirror.

Dude made a mistake according to team rules. Perhaps a mistake that reveals something to our opponents. I'm not defending that mistake, but merely pointing out that it's not worthy of the epic hand-wringing from Texans faithful. JMO, of course.

michaelm
09-01-2011, 04:06 PM

Facebook, Myspace, newspaper/magazine interviews, radio/television interviews are all other things that are unnecessary for players to do their job... I guess those should be banned as well.

Or, here's a thought... let's not change the system because of one or two players can't abide by the rules. Let's punish those who transgress, and leave the nanny state stuff up to the democrats.

(mentally high-fiving myself for getting a political jab into my post... my first ever!!! LOL)

CloakNNNdagger
09-01-2011, 04:10 PM
They already made those, I used to have one when I was a kid:

http://sale.images.woot.com/NFL_Vibrating_Football5enStandard.jpg

I will admit, it was pretty awesome. :D

Mine always ran the wrong direction!:kubepalm:

Double Barrel
09-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Mine always ran the wrong direction!:kubepalm:

yep! I still have mine. I asked my son if he wanted to check it out, but he said that he'd rather play Madden instead. Man, times have a changed!

Dutchrudder
09-01-2011, 04:17 PM
I don't necessarily agree with Foster releasing his MRI to the public. It's different, that's for sure.

But one of the on-going topics we have in Houston is the squeaky-clean image of the Houston Texans. An oft-quoted Vinny phrase - "marketing company with a football division" - comes to mind. And that has obviously been reflected in operations as they clearly avoid any players that have potentially dubious histories.

So when ANY news breaks that's not happy and shiny about the franchise, it really seems like it's a Really Big Deal because we have very little points of reference. Texans fans are not used to any smudges on the mirror.

Dude made a mistake according to team rules. Perhaps a mistake that reveals something to our opponents. I'm not defending that mistake, but merely pointing out that it's not worthy of the epic hand-wringing from Texans faithful. JMO, of course.

I agree for the most part, but still think it was a dumb move on Arian's part. In fact, I would say it is an unprecedented decision, as I cannot recall anyone who has publicly disclosed the details of an injury in such a way.

Facebook, Myspace, newspaper/magazine interviews, radio/television interviews are all other things that are unnecessary for players to do their job... I guess those should be banned as well.

Or, here's a thought... let's not change the system because of one or two players can't abide by the rules. Let's punish those who transgress, and leave the nanny state stuff up to the democrats.

(mentally high-fiving myself for getting a political jab into my post... my first ever!!! LOL)

I was meaning to explain GP's point better, not to embrace it. I agree that a fine will go a long way towards deterrence, and I think that's how it should be handled.

michaelm
09-01-2011, 04:22 PM
yep! I still have mine. I asked my son if he wanted to check it out, but he said that he'd rather play Madden instead. Man, times have a changed!

I feel your nostalgia, but come on, you know you'd rather play Madden, too.

I had a similar situation a few years ago when I got nostalgic for the slot car track I had as a kid.
I did what any grown man with a bit of disposable income would do, I went to the hobby shop and bought one.
I had a blast with it for about 45 minutes, then the nostalgia wore off, and it's been packed away in a closet for the last few years.

LOL, that reminds me of a Mitch Hedberg line:

"I saw a commercial for an above-ground pool. It was 30 seconds long.

You know why? 'Cuz that's the maximum amount of time that you can depict yourself having fun in an above-ground pool."

Ckw
09-01-2011, 04:26 PM

:vincepalm:

You constantly phrase your dissertations in a demeaning way, never leave any room for your own fallibility, and have done more than your fair share of attacking the poster yet suddenly YOU are the victim here?

Now that's rich!

:spit:

Texans_Chick
09-01-2011, 04:26 PM
In fact, I would say it is an unprecedented decision, as I cannot recall anyone who has publicly disclosed the details of an injury in such a way.

Steve Slaton tweeted an xray of his neck. With screws in it. Likely worse than showing a hamstring because hamstring isn't a targeted injury sort of thing.

James Casey recently tweeted a picture of a arm bruise in the shape of Toro. Which IS awesomeness.

http://api.plixi.com/api/tpapi.svc/imagefromurl?size=medium&url=http%3A%2F%2Flockerz.com%2Fs%2F134555163

What is done is done. It's not a federal case. He's got talked to. Privately. Nothing to see here, move along. /Officer Barbrady'd

hobie
09-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Steve Slaton tweeted an xray of his neck. With screws in it. Likely worse than showing a hamstring because hamstring isn't a targeted injury sort of thing.

James Casey recently tweeted a picture of a arm bruise in the shape of Toro. Which IS awesomeness.

http://api.plixi.com/api/tpapi.svc/imagefromurl?size=medium&url=http%3A%2F%2Flockerz.com%2Fs%2F134555163

What is done is done. It's not a federal case. He's got talked to. Privately. Nothing to see here, move along. /Officer Barbrady'd

He needs to get that outline tatted.. that's awesome !!

SteveSlaton20
09-01-2011, 05:29 PM
sorry, haven't been on in awhile...is arian gonna play week 1 or no?

fiasco west
09-01-2011, 05:48 PM
sorry, haven't been on in awhile...is arian gonna play week 1 or no?

I need to know too. I have a Fantasy draft coming up and wondering if I should get him...:kitten:

TexMexMom
09-01-2011, 05:58 PM
I need to know too. I have a Fantasy draft coming up and wondering if I should get him...:kitten:

For what it's worth, I drafted him in the two leagues I'm in. :brando:

SteveSlaton20
09-01-2011, 06:06 PM
For what it's worth, I drafted him in the two leagues I'm in. :brando:

howdy!

i remember you, you're arian foster's mom :shades:

Double Barrel
09-01-2011, 06:25 PM
I feel your nostalgia, but come on, you know you'd rather play Madden, too.

I had a similar situation a few years ago when I got nostalgic for the slot car track I had as a kid.
I did what any grown man with a bit of disposable income would do, I went to the hobby shop and bought one.
I had a blast with it for about 45 minutes, then the nostalgia wore off, and it's been packed away in a closet for the last few years.

LOL, that reminds me of a Mitch Hedberg line:

"I saw a commercial for an above-ground pool. It was 30 seconds long.

You know why? 'Cuz that's the maximum amount of time that you can depict yourself having fun in an above-ground pool."

Man, that is so freakin' funny about the slot cars. A buddy of mine got into them a few years ago, too. He ended up buying a bunch of used tracks off of Ebay and made a 4'x8' table to run them on. I even got the bug and bought a track, too.

But you're right, after about an hour of playing with it, the nostalgia factor wore off. I haven't set it up since then. d'oh!

And no, I can't blame my boy for wanting Madden instead of a bunch of uncontrollable pieces of plastic on a vibrating piece of metal. Back in the day, that's all we had! Kids have got choices these days.

[/off topic]

Lucky
09-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Social media is particularly important in football where there's tons of players and they wear masks. If players are to do outreach to fans, particularly young ones, it is the best way to do it.
I realize that filtering player tweets would be unpopular. Pandora's box has been opened, and all. And I think what Foster did was trivial in comparison to some of the embarrassing stuff I've seen (Rashard Mendenhall comes to mind).

But the NFL became America's #1 pastime long before Al Gore invented the internets. I don't know the future of social media. But, I'd be surprised if it outlasts the NFL. And I just don't see a significant percentage of young fans discovering the game of football via Twitter. If TV, radio, and print media interaction with players are filtered through a team's PR department, so should Twitter.

kwayshauntay
09-02-2011, 02:12 AM
I saw Arian's interview the other day on PTI, where he addresses the twitter controversy, and he comes across as a hypersensitive, naive, softie. Yes, soft.

He's the one that brought all this on himself, yet he's on national TV talking about feelings? C'mon son! I can't even imagine how he'd react if he was getting the kind of unprovoked beat down that Tarvaris is getting in Seattle, or Tebow is getting nationwide.

Don't get me wrong, I love that he's on this team; laugh at me if you want, but I think he's better than Adrian Peterson (but that's a whole topic in itself).

But as a person, he's too sensitive. Either that, or he's trolling, getting people to believe that he's naive/sensitive/utopian to get people like me to react. If the latter is the case, then he got me, fine, epic troll, fail on my part.

But if he wasn't carrying out an epic troll, if his reaction was real, then he needs to man up! If you're gonna do dumb stuff like broadcast your MRI to the world, then just take the consequences like a man. Don't start cryin' in public about your feelings! Sheesh!

/rant

Texans_Chick
09-02-2011, 07:33 AM
I saw Arian's interview the other day on PTI, where he addresses the twitter controversy, and he comes across as a hypersensitive, naive, softie. Yes, soft.

He's the one that brought all this on himself, yet he's on national TV talking about feelings? C'mon son! I can't even imagine how he'd react if he was getting the kind of unprovoked beat down that Tarvaris is getting in Seattle, or Tebow is getting nationwide.

Don't get me wrong, I love that he's on this team; laugh at me if you want, but I think he's better than Adrian Peterson (but that's a whole topic in itself).

But as a person, he's too sensitive. Either that, or he's trolling, getting people to believe that he's naive/sensitive/utopian to get people like me to react. If the latter is the case, then he got me, fine, epic troll, fail on my part.

But if he wasn't carrying out an epic troll, if his reaction was real, then he needs to man up! If you're gonna do dumb stuff like broadcast your MRI to the world, then just take the consequences like a man. Don't start cryin' in public about your feelings! Sheesh!

/rant

I thought he came across as a sensible, reasonable person. He wasn't crying. Or whining about stuff. He said he didn't want anyone to be sorry for him. He responded to the questions asked to him.

Here's the link for those who care:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkvDdER9evM

Takes a pretty secure man to talk about feelings, wear that outfit. ;)

Texans_Chick
09-02-2011, 07:34 AM
I realize that filtering player tweets would be unpopular. Pandora's box has been opened, and all. And I think what Foster did was trivial in comparison to some of the embarrassing stuff I've seen (Rashard Mendenhall comes to mind).

But the NFL became America's #1 pastime long before Al Gore invented the internets. I don't know the future of social media. But, I'd be surprised if it outlasts the NFL. And I just don't see a significant percentage of young fans discovering the game of football via Twitter. If TV, radio, and print media interaction with players are filtered through a team's PR department, so should Twitter.

There's no point doing Twitter if you have to shoot it through a centralized function first. That's what ESPN is learning with their media coverage. Just easier to have good training and guidelines.

thunderkyss
09-02-2011, 07:40 AM
Just easier to have good training and guidelines.

& accountability.

Playoffs
09-02-2011, 07:50 AM
I saw Arian's interview the other day on PTI, where he addresses the twitter controversy, and he comes across as a hypersensitive, naive, softie. Yes, soft....
Well, I guess that's why they have elections...

I saw Foster as confident, intelligent, well-spoken, clear, and polite -- and he'll drop his shoulder & put you on your backside when need be.

I enjoy pro-athletes who actually think for themselves versus spewing out the same old sayings & isms they're taught in Interviews 101.

CloakNNNdagger
09-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Do athletes have the right to talk about their own injuries? (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Do-athletes-have-the-right-to-talk-about-their-o?urn=nfl-wp6267)

By Doug Farrar

Do athletes have the right to talk about their own injuries?The rather unwise move by Houston Texans running back Arian Foster on Wednesday — he tweeted a picture of his latest hamstring MRI — has created a furor around the NFL, which generally holds injury information as closely as it possible can for a host of reasons. One reason is that if opponents are aware of a player's specific physical vulnerabilities, those vulnerabilities will be targeted on the field, no matter how distasteful that may sound.

Former New England Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi confirmed that theory when asked about the info Foster put out by saying that he would "give it [the injured hamstring] a little dig, I give it a little twist, and I get off of the pile. Maybe I do that."

Former NFL coaches have been similarly apoplectic about the breach of protocol, so you can only imagine how current NFL coaches feel — especially those who coach Foster! Herm Edwards, who's been the main man for the New York Jets and Kansas City Chiefs and is one of the most quotable analysts in the business, went off on Foster on Wednesday during ESPN's NFL coverage.

"I tell those rookies at the Symposium — whatever you do with that thing, don't press 'Send!' Because whatever you send goes to 'Da-da-da … da-da-da' [sings 'SportsCenter' theme]. Here's the problem we have as a culture — you're now causing a distraction to your football team! By the way, Arian Foster(notes) — you're probably not going to play Week 1. We know that. But why would you cause a distraction to your football team? Reporters are going to be in that locker room today and tomorrow, asking, 'What do you think about Arian Foster and about his hamstring?' Now, everybody's a doctor!"

Former Baltimore Ravens head coach Brian Billick, now an analyst for FOX Sports and the NFL Network, added this on Thursday morning's "Mike and Mike" program.

"If I were still coaching, I would not go anywhere near that, because … for what purpose? The league wants the teams to be transparent; I get that. And you want a certain amount of connectivity. But again, I would go back to my players and say, 'OK — I understand social media. And I understand what it is you're trying to do in terms of keeping your profile alive. What is the endgame here? What is it you think you're going to do? Show me how you're going to monetize this? If you think there are millions at the end of the rainbow, post-career, and you're going to have one of these [media] jobs … first off, these jobs don't pay that good, OK? And there's not a whole lot of them.

"I would really work hard to educate my players to understand that … people are compelled to tell everyone what their physical shape is. Why would you share that information? You're crossing the line, and I just have a tough time understanding it."

Billick also mentioned that teams will insist that their players stop revealing their medical conditions, either through the front office or veteran players, to gain a competitive advantage over those teams whose players can't seem to stop giving medical updates.

But what rights do the players have? In reality, we're dealing with separate personal and professional issues here. As team employees whose physical condition is paramount to performance, players should most likely avoid making their injuries public for the reason Bruschi outlined — all-time great running back Jim Brown used to arrive at the Cleveland Browns' training and medical facility in off-hours so nobody would know what was going on with his body.

But under HIPAA (The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) rules, people have a right to decide who will know their medical information — especially if they are incapable of notifying people for whatever reason — and who will not. And unless that's superseded by a clause in a contract in which a player or other team employee would voluntarily turn over HIPAA-related information control to the team (which would most likely involve a Power of Attorney), the team probably doesn't have any legal standing to tell Arian Foster or any other player to pipe down when it comes to injuries.

Legal precedent is one thing; common sense is another. Common sense tells us that what Arian Foster did doesn't make a lot of sense.

Double Barrel
09-02-2011, 10:00 AM
I can only imagine how lame the Twitter feed would be if it had to go through the Texans marketing department.

Arian Foster: "Hey guys, we had a neat-o practice today! Coach Kubiak brought orange slices! #Sunkist"

Matt Schaub: "I am so excited about the new souvenir soda cups! My picture looks really nifty! #ReliantWorld"

Eric Winston: "Oh you hush up, Michael Lombardi! We are not soft. We just aren't meanies! #MrWhipple"

Mario Williams: "Wow, Coach Wade really wants us to win! We had to do a lap for every missed assignment! #hugs"

Twitter should be treated just like media interviews. Train these players and hold them accountable for dumb mistakes that break team and/or league rules.

ChampionTexan
09-02-2011, 10:15 AM
There's no point doing Twitter if you have to shoot it through a centralized function first. That's what ESPN is learning with their media coverage. Just easier to have good training and guidelines.

I'm guessing that the NFL views these players tweeting as simply another form of marketing - more specifically "free" marketing. Whenever someone goes off the deep end - such as Mendenhall did - I'm sure the NFL doesn't love it, but at the same time, any damage done is much more specific to the tweeter with the league itself having at least some level of insulation. In other words, there's pretty much only upside.

Coaches and GM's may not be fans of their players tweeting, but I don't think the league would ever quash or limit it. Particularly since as has already been mentioned it's biggest impact is on a demographic that is very appealing to them.

disaacks3
09-02-2011, 10:28 AM
C'mon now, there's no reason to take your ball and go home. After reading this colossal thread, I took you for a man who likes to debate. You have good reasoning and communication skills. I guess I didn't take into consideration the inability for any of us to distinguish tone via the web.

My apologies if you feel I've offended you. I certainly don't feel that you've offended me. Or Arian. I think you have strong opinions and while I'm not looking to change those, I would think you're prepared to back them up.

Again, I'm sorry. I thought this was enjoyable. For both of us.

That's alright, GP sometimes gets that way....he's still family though! :neener:

We truly appreciate your viewpoint. I, like many others on here, don't think the tweet of the hamsting injury itself was that big of a deal...compared to the litany of felonies, etc. usually attributed to a "problem player".

That said, some of us think that Arian occasionally needs a (for lack of a better term) "Judgement Coach".

We're aware that this isn't his first brush with incidents that have called into question his maturity level. The alleged history at Tennessee (that likely caused him to be an UDFA), the previous incidents with the Texans, that caused Coach Kubiak to sit the NFL's Leading Rusher for an entire half and others I've probably forgotten about.

I think he's a stand-up guy, funny as h*** and generally means well, but he still makes decisions like a 20-something (duh!). That's to be expected in a "normal" universe, but the NFL expects guys straight out of college to behave according to a much more rigid set of requirements in exchange for the privilege of being an NFL Football Player. Whether that's fair to these young men or not, they agreed to it in exchange for salaries not normally obtainable by kids fresh out of college.

TexMexMom
09-02-2011, 10:39 AM
That's alright, GP sometimes gets that way....he's still family though! :neener:

We truly appreciate your viewpoint. I, like many others on here, don't think the tweet of the hamsting injury itself was that big of a deal...compared to the litany of felonies, etc. usually attributed to a "problem player".

That said, some of us think that Arian occasionally needs a (for lack of a better term) "Judgement Coach".

We're aware that this isn't his first brush with incidents that have called into question his maturity level. The alleged history at Tennessee (that likely caused him to be an UDFA), the previous incidents with the Texans, that caused Coach Kubiak to sit the NFL's Leading Rusher for an entire half and others I've probably forgotten about.

I think he's a stand-up guy, funny as h*** and generally means well, but he still makes decisions like a 20-something (duh!). That's to be expected in a "normal" universe, but the NFL expects guys straight out of college to behave according to a much more rigid set of requirements in exchange for the privilege of being an NFL Football Player. Whether that's fair to these young men or not, they agreed to it in exchange for salaries not normally obtainable by kids fresh out of college.

Absolutely fair and I agree.

thunderkyss
09-02-2011, 10:50 AM

We truly appreciate your viewpoint.

Even though some of us would appreciate character limits on some of his posts.....

:kitten:

michaelm
09-02-2011, 03:15 PM
I can only imagine how lame the Twitter feed would be if it had to go through the Texans marketing department.

Arian Foster: "Hey guys, we had a neat-o practice today! Coach Kubiak brought orange slices! #Sunkist"

Matt Schaub: "I am so excited about the new souvenir soda cups! My picture looks really nifty! #ReliantWorld"

Eric Winston: "Oh you hush up, Michael Lombardi! We are not soft. We just aren't meanies! #MrWhipple"

Mario Williams: "Wow, Coach Wade really wants us to win! We had to do a lap for every missed assignment! #hugs"

Twitter should be treated just like media interviews. Train these players and hold them accountable for dumb mistakes that break team and/or league rules.

I'm not usually a fan of the overused response "^^^this^^^", but you've basically expressed my thoughts on the subject, so... ^^^this^^^.

michaelm
09-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Even though some of us would appreciate character limits on some of his posts.....

I prefer his responses to be long. It makes it easier for me to identify them, and scroll past them quickly.

HTown2ATX
09-02-2011, 03:55 PM
I prefer his responses to be long. It makes it easier for me to identify them, and scroll past them quickly.

LMAO.....that was just a funny line there since his posts are trade mark long usually. I will say though that I actually like a lot of GP's posts (as much of them as I read) but I went back and read the last few exchanges between him and Arians mom and I don't get what happened to make him bail like that.

Anyway...I just happened to peek in this thread...have been in and out lately. 1st I want to say that it's friggin bad ass that Arians mom is on here :jam: and that I honestly hope he'll be ready for week 1 but if not, fine, sit him. I don't want to see him hurt for the season if we play him too early and I feel good with Tate/Ward back there in his absence.

As far as his tweet....in a way he has a point whether he was being serious or not. The 1 league I joined everyone claims they are staying away from Arian which I have publicly said that is great news for me so I know I can scoop him up with no hassle (and hopefully get Tate too :) )

I mean people that I talk to at work are acting like he'll never be the same off some fantasy bs.... This is only my second year doing fantasy (last season was my 1st and I ended up in 3rd place after leading most of the season...boo) so I'm not a nut job about it and frankly stayed away for the longest time as I don't want to watch or have to pay attention to anything other than my Texans. I don't want to be one of these guys I see at the bar with a laptop checking stats like it's a 2nd job (no offense to anyone who does that haha).

:htown2atx:

ObsiWan
09-02-2011, 04:31 PM
:popcorn:

Marcus
09-03-2011, 11:01 AM

LOL. This +1.

GP, dude, believe it or not, I do enjoy reading your posts, but for the love of Christ, can you PLEASE leave the long-windedness at the barn?

I know it's "cathartic" for you and all that, but you can get your point across a lot faster if you put your mind to it.

DocBar
09-03-2011, 11:07 AM
LOL. This +1.

GP, dude, believe it or not, I do enjoy reading your posts, but for the love of Christ, can you PLEASE leave the long-windedness at the barn?

I know it's "cathartic" for you and all that, but you can get your point across a lot faster if you put your mind to it.Maybe y'all should try reading faster. That would have the same effect....:runaway:

GuerillaBlack
09-03-2011, 01:47 PM
GP just have a tl;dr version at the bottom of your posts.

Napa Auto Parts
09-04-2011, 01:28 PM
I guess foster really wants to be out on the field he is playing for a big time contract im just worried he will push himself out on the field to early and tear that hammy. but i guess i dont blame him seing how tate has played it seems like we might be able to plug in any rb and have 1000 yards rusher.

Vinny
09-04-2011, 02:30 PM
GP just have a tl;dr version at the bottom of your posts.
I spent a year and a half locked away trying to develop a filter to effectively truncate the posts coming from GP's IP address, but all the filter kept popping out was something along the lines of being the Great Oz and a few blah, blah, blah's....so I gave up and came back.

ObsiWan
09-04-2011, 02:32 PM
I spent a year and a half locked away trying to develop a filter to effectively truncate the posts coming from GP's IP address, but all the filter kept popping out was something along the lines of being the Great Oz and a few blah, blah, blah's....so I gave up and came back.

Damn. You could have made some serious change had you been successful.
:D

Nawzer
09-04-2011, 02:38 PM
I hope we can keep the Colts in the dark long enough to surprise them.

Texans_Chick
09-04-2011, 03:33 PM
I hope we can keep the Colts in the dark long enough to surprise them.

Not many surprises with the Texans running game. Doesn't matter who is available, they will want to run at the Colts.

ChampionTexan
09-04-2011, 04:28 PM

Perhaps Hookem can strike a deal with CliffsNotes to supply one daily thread containing the condensed summary of all GP's posts. This would likely keep GP occupied for hours re-reading his own stuff, and give the rest of us the opportunity to skip his posts in a much more efficient manner.

EllisUnit
09-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Yea, I don't see any point in pushing Foster... Weeks 1 & 2 should be easy peasy, so i'd like to see the Texans take the "safe side" approach. It'd be nice to win a game or two with our defense anywho :D

:barman: Please give me what ur having, with our without Peyton its still the colts. And then playing on the road regardless of who it is, is always a challenge.

Lucky
09-05-2011, 04:21 PM
And then playing on the road regardless of who it is, is always a challenge.
The game is at Reliant Stadium. Which has been a challenge for Kubiak's Texans, so point taken.

EllisUnit
09-05-2011, 04:51 PM
The game is at Reliant Stadium. Which has been a challenge for Kubiak's Texans, so point taken.

Week 1 is the colts at home week 2 is in Miami. He said weeks 1 and 2