PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Reed is a monster!

Ckw
08-25-2011, 05:03 PM
I am re-watching the game from Saturday and just can't help but get a little excited about Brooks Reed. I have been a little down on him from everything I have read about practice.

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/dd7/715/8bc/resized/iverson-practice-meme-generator-practice-we-talkin-bout-it-fca9a8.jpg

But in the game, this man becomes a beast! I have been replaying his forced fumble over and over and Reed just comes in like a man possessed. This is what Cushing looked like in his rookie year. What's scary is unlike Cushing, Reed is such a beast his teammates didn't even think of telling him to cut his hair.

I am really looking forward to seeing more of this guy.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/202/190/104259445_crop_650x440.jpg?1304118057

badboy
08-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Reed and Cushing (at least rookie Cush) just a little RC COLA!

Wolf
08-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Alan's article

In case you missed it and was wondering how Texans rookie outside linebacker Brooks Reed has been doing, allow me to provide a brief summary:

quick study n. One who is able to memorize something easily and quickly or is able to understand and deal with something easily and successfully. (thefreedictionary.com) synonyms: sponge, learner

This isn't coming from Joe Fan watching DVR replays of Texans games. This is coming from Reed's head coach.
"(Reed is ) probably the one player right now showing the most vast improvement from day-to-day, practice-to-practice and game-to-game," said Gary Kubiak during his Sunday presser after the Texans win over the Saints.

"I’ve talked about how he’s changing position," said Kubiak. "But just watching that when you coach this guy the next day it’s fixed so it’s really impressive right now. He was very impressive in the football game (against the Saints)"

Reed was a 'hand on the ground' defensive end at Arizona and is learning an entirely new position. During a post-game radio interview Saturday night, Reed indicated that he's still on a steep learning curve.

Steep learning curve aside, Reed showed up big in the game against the Saints logging two sacks, two hurries and two forced fumbles. I can't wait for him to start getting it.

Kubiak talked about Reed again today after practice, highlighting Reed's performance on special teams in addition to his impressive showing on defense.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Kubiak: Brooks Reed a quick study - Houston Houston Texans | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/brooks-reed-establishing-himself-as-a-quick-study#ixzz1W4w1IlYF

michaelm
08-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Wow, when camp started, Reed wasn't performing well according to reports, but there is every indication that he is quickly turning into something special.

I hate to fall victim to hype, which might be the case here with Reed in the preseason, but damn, I'm starting to get as excited about Reed as any player on the roster.

TimeKiller
08-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Truth on the hair. Glad we're not worried about hair anymore.

Remember, many thought he was a first round talent that dropped.

The Pencil Neck
08-25-2011, 06:37 PM
I was really excited when we drafted him. I thought he was a first rounder for sure. (I kinda expected us to reach for him with our #1.) I never expected him to get past the Patriots. He's their kind of player.

Then my excitement cooled when everyone at the practices were saying he looked lost.

Then I saw him in the first preseason game and my excitement returned. Kid's a gamer.

Then the second preseason game? I'm thinking either him or Watt as DROY.

After the 3rd preseason game? I may have him in the hall of fame. So I'm trusting you guys to keep me from going overboard.

HJam72
08-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Brooks Reed: First NFL player ever to make it to the HOF before ever seeing a regular season game. :koolaid:

ObsiWan
08-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Brooks Reed: First NFL player ever to make it to the HOF before ever seeing a regular season game. :koolaid:
I thought that was Reggae Bush
...you know, gonna be "the next Gayle Sayers" and all....

Ckw
08-25-2011, 06:51 PM
Alan's article

Continue reading on Examiner.com Kubiak: Brooks Reed a quick study - Houston Houston Texans | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/brooks-reed-establishing-himself-as-a-quick-study#ixzz1W4w1IlYF

Great article, Wolf! Rep your way!

Wow, when camp started, Reed wasn't performing well according to reports, but there is every indication that he is quickly turning into something special.

I hate to fall victim to hype, which might be the case here with Reed in the preseason, but damn, I'm starting to get as excited about Reed as any player on the roster.

I'm right there with you. This last game, especially watching the replay of it, has sold me on Reed. The guy turns into a beast come game time, has an incredible motor, and I can't wait to watch what Watt and Reed do together.

Rey
08-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Brooks reed has me almost as excited as watt.

We are going to have to get this guy on the field. A good healthy rotation mixed in with a variety of fronts. He'll, he could be a starter for us before the season is over.

And I agree with you PN, he may have struggled some in practice, but the guy is a gamer.

DocBar
08-25-2011, 07:11 PM
I really love our draft for this reason. From 1-7, we drafted high motor, motivated players. Too many times, highly touted, high draft picks think they've "arrived". Vets feed off of rooks who've "arrived"(minus the rare talent that truly has). The majority of our '11 draft seems to get this. I can't wait to buy his jersey.

Doppelganger
08-25-2011, 07:20 PM
I was really excited when we drafted him. I thought he was a first rounder for sure. (I kinda expected us to reach for him with our #1.) I never expected him to get past the Patriots. He's their kind of player.

I thought he was a late first rounder and would go to the Jets. He is the kind of player that Ryan would love to have in a 3-4. However, when the Pats came up with the first pick in the 2nd round I was convinced he was gone. I didn't think they would pass on him twice. After he got past NE, I thought the next place he may go would be Dallas. They needed a LB and he could play in that spot. When he got past Dallas, I hoped that Kubes and Smith wouldn't try to be cute and blow it. I got to the point where I wanted either Reed or Harris and would have been happy with either.

Imagine how psyched I was when we got both!

DocBar
08-25-2011, 07:25 PM
I thought he was a late first rounder and would go to the Jets. He is the kind of player that Ryan would love to have in a 3-4. However, when the Pats came up with the first pick in the 2nd round I was convinced he was gone. I didn't think they would pass on him twice. After he got past NE, I thought the next place he may go would be Dallas. They needed a LB and he could play in that spot. When he got past Dallas, I hoped that Kubes and Smith wouldn't try to be cute and blow it. I got to the point where I wanted either Reed or Harris and would have been happy with either.

Imagine how psyched I was when we got both!So you pretty much know chit about the draft? :kitten: Just messin with ya....

Brisco_County
08-25-2011, 08:19 PM
I was big on drafting Reed after reading a Green Bay fan-made draft guide. He was on the cover because they wanted him has a Clay Matthews clone on the other side.

badboy
08-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Best part of article "I cain't wait for him to start getting it." Me neither.

TexansFanatic
08-25-2011, 10:06 PM
I agree with the thread title. I think this guy is going to be special. I think he needs to be on the field early and often.

Big Lou
08-25-2011, 11:51 PM
I wonder if he has the range to play ILB if needed, he's listed at 6'-2" 263 lbs.

I know he's a pass rush guy, but I'm concerned about Cush and Meco.

Texanmike02
08-26-2011, 01:48 AM

Obviously you didn't see Bennie J. or Tony Hollings play.

Mike

ObsiWan
08-26-2011, 02:24 AM
Obviously you didn't see Bennie J. or Tony Hollings play.

Mike
heh heh....
neither did anyone else

drunkcookie
08-26-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm excited about the guy myself, just hope to see him against some 1s... For example, on that forced fumble, he came in so fast because a 3rd-string left-tackle was still set in his 2point stance when the QB was already dropping back... 1st-string LT/RT wouldn't have waited 'til Reed's hair brushed his shoulder to snap out of it and start moving...

But yes yes, I'm verrry excited about this guy... Just wanna see more against 1s... Looks like SF might not let that happen... But still, we've got a good one with this guy...

houstonspartan
08-26-2011, 10:47 AM
I agree with the thread title. I think this guy is going to be special. I think he needs to be on the field early and often.

I really want to get excited about Reed and Watt. I really do. But...I'm having Brian Cushing flashbacks. I don't think I've ever been as betrayed by a player as I have been with Cushing. Ok. Dramatic, I know. Lol.

I guess the difference is that Brooks and Watt don't have a history of "suspicion" surrounding them like Cushing did. At least none that we know of.

El Tejano
08-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Reed and Cushing (at least rookie Cush) just a little RC COLA!

You know, COLA in spanish can mean butt! :mariopalm: gross!

Doppelganger
08-26-2011, 12:49 PM

Reggie Bush: the first NFL player to make it to the HOF before ever being drafted!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7vGe4OlElDE/TI2YOt_0ksI/AAAAAAAAACg/r_8libCUics/s1600/reggie-bush-sad.jpg

HJam72
08-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Just for the record, I am a fan of Brooks Reed. The joke just seemed appropriate under the context of the previous post or two.

PS-...and I definitely agree about Bush.

Ckw
08-26-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm excited about the guy myself, just hope to see him against some 1s... For example, on that forced fumble, he came in so fast because a 3rd-string left-tackle was still set in his 2point stance when the QB was already dropping back... 1st-string LT/RT wouldn't have waited 'til Reed's hair brushed his shoulder to snap out of it and start moving...

But yes yes, I'm verrry excited about this guy... Just wanna see more against 1s... Looks like SF might not let that happen... But still, we've got a good one with this guy...

Actually, the one that impressed me was the first forced fumble when Reed blew up the TE and just plowed right through him into the QB all while having the wherewithal to reach his arms out and knock the ball away. Just an awesome play and if a TE can't handle him, which usually has the assignment for the OLB, then I think we should be seeing a lot more plays just like that.

Yes, I am stoked about The Monster!

Doppelganger
08-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Just for the record, I am a fan of Brooks Reed. The joke just seemed appropriate under the context of the previous post or two.

PS-...and I definitely agree about Bush.

Agreed. I just had to take a swipe at Reggie. Plus that picture of him sitting alone on the bench is priceless. It conveys

1) All the other Saints players have gotten into the game and the sure-fire HOFer didn't!

2) Bush is so lousy none of his teammates want to be around him!

The Cush
08-26-2011, 11:00 PM
He really is a monster. Here's a video I found on youtube of him looking like Thor tearing a phone book in half with his bear hands...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Tki2gwyJc

TexansFanatic
08-26-2011, 11:22 PM
I found on youtube of him looking like Thor tearing a phone book in half with his bear hands...

http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/Random/with-my-bear-hands.jpg

The Cush
08-27-2011, 12:02 AM
LOL. I'll just play that misspell off by saying, pun intended.....

TexansFanatic
08-27-2011, 12:07 AM
LOL. I'll just play that misspell off by saying, pun intended.....

LOL Good for you for being a good sport.

TdotTexas2Step
08-27-2011, 12:57 AM
Brooks "The Texan Thor" Reed.