PDA

View Full Version : A Potential Big DT to Bring In Soon

Clamp
08-24-2011, 08:49 PM
Pat Kirwan NFL.com-

"Up in New England, the switch to the 4-3 defense and the addition of Albert Haynesworth, Andre Carter and Mark Anderson is going to make it tough for Gerard Warren to make the defensive line group, especially when Ron Brace comes off the PUP list."

Gerard Warren- 6'4'' 330 DT

I really know nothing about him but he is a 33 so he may be on his last legs. Anyone have any opinion or info in him?

drs23
08-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Pat Kirwan NFL.com-

"Up in New England, the switch to the 4-3 defense and the addition of Albert Haynesworth, Andre Carter and Mark Anderson is going to make it tough for Gerard Warren to make the defensive line group, especially when Ron Brace comes off the PUP list."

I really know nothing about him but he is a 33 so he may be on his last legs. Anyone have any opinion or info in him?

He's 33 and toast.

That's all I've got.

Clamp
08-24-2011, 09:05 PM
I'm holding out hope that he may have something left based in the fact that he is losing out bc of the numbers game, but i may be ignoring the facts lol.

Carr Bombed
08-24-2011, 09:46 PM
I'm holding out hope that he may have something left based in the fact that he is losing out bc of the numbers game, but i may be ignoring the facts lol.

He's been pretty consistent throughout his career...even last year.

http://www.nfl.com/player/gerardwarren/2504771/profile

He might actually be a decent stop gap. I mean look what we've got right now. He might be a good insurance policy and he does have PLENTY of experience which could come in handy down the road.

BetaV1
08-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Say, I hear JaMarcus Russell isn't doing anything right now....

Hervoyel
08-24-2011, 10:15 PM

So if I read this correctly Brakos will appear in 3....2.....1.....

Just send him some Hot Pockets and turn him into a NT

otisbean
08-24-2011, 10:15 PM

Lol, he'd be a 3 gap NT

Pantherstang84
08-24-2011, 10:23 PM
I think we should bring him in. We are all smarter than WP and surely once Warren gets here we can show Wade why he needs a 2 gap nose tackle for a 1 gap defense.

We play Fantasy Football right? We read all of the scouting reports on ESPN Insider. We even listen to Mike and Mike in the morning. Hell! We just know better.

All we really need to do is explain to Wade Phillips this is what he really needs right? Who needs 30 plus years of experience turning around bad defenses?:kitten:

wildroot
08-24-2011, 10:26 PM
In about 2 weeks we'll be able to sign some pretty good players on the cheap off the Waiver Wire if we have the need.

Corrosion
08-24-2011, 11:02 PM
I think we should bring him in. We are all smarter than WP and surely once Warren gets here we can show Wade why he needs a 2 gap nose tackle for a 1 gap defense.

We play Fantasy Football right? We read all of the scouting reports on ESPN Insider. We even listen to Mike and Mike in the morning. Hell! We just know better.

All we really need to do is explain to Wade Phillips this is what he really needs right? Who needs 30 plus years of experience turning around bad defenses?:kitten:

They used most of their assets solving other issues with the D .... both in the draft and FA , I get the idea that WP saying he can make things work with what he has is much like Kubiak last year when Smith left him with such a young secondary - He said what he had to because he had no other options. Kubiak wasnt going to throw Smith under the bus and say he gave me a bunch of nothing to work with ..... That could have caused problems with both players and the GM ..... Then Allen was brought in off of the streets when the opportunity arose.

I'd wager that if there is a viable 2 gap DT waived that they will take a long look at him ..... I almost expect someone to be brought in at the position.

Rey
08-24-2011, 11:11 PM
Want a dt that excels against the run, but is wade willing to sacrifice the quickness and pass rushing that Mitchell brings?

I like Mitch as the starter, but id like to see Cody replaced in the rotation.

jtexas
08-24-2011, 11:17 PM
Statistically he stinks.

(Profootball Focus Stats)
In 2010 he was ranked #106 out of #155 DT. (hurt most of season)
In 2009 #152 / 161.
In 2008 #126 / 164.

The worst part is that he was in the bottom 4% in run defense. His mediocre pass rush helped bring his ranking up a little.

80tothezone
08-24-2011, 11:28 PM

relax man we r just fans with opinions the opinions show we give a damn bout the team not saying we know better than wade or ne of the analysts but we have opinions and on a forum titled Texans Talk I would think opinions would be valued here otherwise change it to Texans Lecture or Hereiswhat coachesofthehoustontexanssay.com ... I trust wade on D and Kubes on O but at the same time I have my own opinions on what they are doing.

prostock101
08-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Here's another article talking about the need for a big NT and who's available. WP has stated from the git go that his D doesn't need one. Well, based on two preseason games, we need something. Either a bigger tackle or a better one....

http://www.reclinerqb.com/2011/08/where-can-texans-get-defensive-tackle.html

Playoffs
08-25-2011, 03:45 PM
^^from the above:

-Jamal Williams is probably the most likely candidate, at 6'3" and 348lbs he has the prototypical size for a 2-down run stuffing 3-4 Nose Tackle. While he is on the other side of 35, he should have a couple of years left as his body did not take the wear and tear after suffering a torn triceps. What makes him the most likely option is his familiarity with Wade Phillips who had Williams anchoring his defensive line when he was the defensive coordinator in San Diego. As long as Williams has kept himself in shape since he was released by Denver before the lockout, the Texans should get him in a uniform as soon as possible!

-Pat Williams has spent his career as the run stuffer of the "Williams Wall" while he was with the Vikings. While he is closer to 40 and has been in Minnesota running a 4-3, he has the ability and the size (6'3" 317lbs) to anchor the Phillips 3-4. Teams have shied away from him in free agency seemingly due to the lingering Star Caps case which threatens to keep him out of the first 4 games of the season. Luckily for the Texans their schedule only has 1 proven "run oriented" team in their first 4 weeks (Steelers), their other 3 opponents, Colts (never much of a running game), Dolphins (Replacing their 2 leading rushers), Saints (have the abillity to be balanced but I won't believe it until I see it), so signing a run stuffing tackle should be a priority.

-Ma'ake Kemoeatu is the long shot of the group, his career has been derailed since he suffered major shoulder and Achilles injuries, but he has the size (6'5" 350lbs) and has show ability and potential in the past to be a situational run stuffer. The Texans should bring him in after Week 1 when his salary would not be guaranteed to see if he can pass a physical, if he passes give him a shot.

badboy
08-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Right team. Wrong player. Trade for Ron Brace.

powda
08-25-2011, 04:27 PM
We need more defensive line talent and I think they will add someone once cuts start BUT, we've had plenty of chances to get bigger nose tackles already and they havent done it. I dont think they're going to. Everyone holding out hope for a Shaun Rodgers type 350 lb nose tackle is dreaming.

michaelm
08-25-2011, 04:30 PM
We need more defensive line talent and I think they will add someone once cuts start BUT, we've had plenty of chances to get bigger nose tackles already and they havent done it. I dont think they're going to. Everyone holding out hope for a Shaun Rodgers type 350 lb nose tackle is dreaming.

I'm 6'5" and around 315 right now, but my frame will hold another 20-25lbs. :)

Pay me, Rick!

powda
08-25-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm 6'5" and around 315 right now, but my frame will hold another 20-25lbs. :)

This morning I heard Richard Justice say Mario should gain 70lbs and play nose. Problem is he was serious.

michaelm
08-25-2011, 06:02 PM
This morning I heard Richard Justice say Mario should gain 70lbs and play nose. Problem is he was serious.

That should be no problem for Mario. I can start him on my diet and exercise regimen, and put 70lbs of beer muscle on him in no time at all.

EllisUnit
08-25-2011, 07:29 PM
That should be no problem for Mario. I can start him on my diet and exercise regimen, and put 70lbs of beer muscle on him in no time at all.

:bravo:

DocBar
08-25-2011, 07:35 PM
That should be no problem for Mario. I can start him on my diet and exercise regimen, and put 70lbs of beer muscle on him in no time at all.Are they gonna put a port-a-can on the sideline to deal with the side effects of that beer diet?

Texan_Bill
08-25-2011, 09:32 PM
Pass!!

*in best SEC Guy voice: "NEXT"!!*

leebigeztx
08-26-2011, 03:37 AM
^^from the above:

-Jamal Williams is probably the most likely candidate, at 6'3" and 348lbs he has the prototypical size for a 2-down run stuffing 3-4 Nose Tackle. While he is on the other side of 35, he should have a couple of years left as his body did not take the wear and tear after suffering a torn triceps. What makes him the most likely option is his familiarity with Wade Phillips who had Williams anchoring his defensive line when he was the defensive coordinator in San Diego. As long as Williams has kept himself in shape since he was released by Denver before the lockout, the Texans should get him in a uniform as soon as possible!

-Pat Williams has spent his career as the run stuffer of the "Williams Wall" while he was with the Vikings. While he is closer to 40 and has been in Minnesota running a 4-3, he has the ability and the size (6'3" 317lbs) to anchor the Phillips 3-4. Teams have shied away from him in free agency seemingly due to the lingering Star Caps case which threatens to keep him out of the first 4 games of the season. Luckily for the Texans their schedule only has 1 proven "run oriented" team in their first 4 weeks (Steelers), their other 3 opponents, Colts (never much of a running game), Dolphins (Replacing their 2 leading rushers), Saints (have the abillity to be balanced but I won't believe it until I see it), so signing a run stuffing tackle should be a priority.

-Ma'ake Kemoeatu is the long shot of the group, his career has been derailed since he suffered major shoulder and Achilles injuries, but he has the size (6'5" 350lbs) and has show ability and potential in the past to be a situational run stuffer. The Texans should bring him in after Week 1 when his salary would not be guaranteed to see if he can pass a physical, if he passes give him a shot.

This is what I've said for awhile now. I think,but I could be wrong, wade has talked to jamaal williams. He's probably tod him the situation, checked on his health, and told his to use the extra time to get ready. After week 1 when salaries are not guaranteed,he's signed. Personally, cody has been so bad, I would bring him and cut cody. That's just me because cody is terrible at both the run and the pass.

otisbean
08-26-2011, 07:10 AM
This is what I've said for awhile now. I think,but I could be wrong, wade has talked to jamaal williams. He's probably tod him the situation, checked on his health, and told his to use the extra time to get ready. After week 1 when salaries are not guaranteed,he's signed. Personally, cody has been so bad, I would bring him and cut cody. That's just me because cody is terrible at both the run and the pass.

I don't think they would cut Cody, though he hasn't looked great. He was unspectacular last year, but he was solid. I think worse case he would provide depth at NT and DE. I would like them to grab someone with NT experience in the 3-4. I don't care as much about size as I do ability and experience. Hopefully, the Steelers, Ravens, Pats or someone else is stocked enough at DL to let a solid player go after roster cuts ala Frank Wychek back in the day.

jtexas
08-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Kubiak's response to the undersized DT is annoying too. He keeps saying "we don't have a 325lb mammoth on the roster, so we work with what we've got". Meaning he is already realizing it was a mistake to enter the season like this.... aka all young corners in 2010.

BrwnsTown
08-26-2011, 08:37 AM
Pat Kirwan NFL.com-

You really don't want anything to do with Warren....
Every half knowledgeable football in Ohio lost their mind when Butch Davis drafted this buffoon....

He has no heart at all...From college to the pros he just goes through the motions, plays hard when he wants to, which is not very often.

If you want a guy to take up locker room space and oxygen and salary for nothing then that is your guy...

If you want a guy that will actually play with heart keep looking...

leebigeztx
08-27-2011, 01:39 AM
I don't think they would cut Cody, though he hasn't looked great. He was unspectacular last year, but he was solid. I think worse case he would provide depth at NT and DE. I would like them to grab someone with NT experience in the 3-4. I don't care as much about size as I do ability and experience. Hopefully, the Steelers, Ravens, Pats or someone else is stocked enough at DL to let a solid player go after roster cuts ala Frank Wychek back in the day.

Cody has a - rating vs the pass and the run over the last 3 yrs and he's starting for the texans. That's part of the reason they have been bad defensively. He's a try hard,limited guy who should only provide breathers. People need to realize that ratliff is an anomoly, not the standard in terms of 3-4 nt. Even so, he's struggled at the end of the year and haven't been the same in a couple of years. Mitchell hasn't been close to that at any point. He's been pushed off the point,washed down in the 1 gap scheme everyone wants to use as an excuse, and just in general haven't played even average.

otisbean
08-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Cody has a - rating vs the pass and the run over the last 3 yrs and he's starting for the texans. That's part of the reason they have been bad defensively. He's a try hard,limited guy who should only provide breathers. People need to realize that ratliff is an anomoly, not the standard in terms of 3-4 nt. Even so, he's struggled at the end of the year and haven't been the same in a couple of years. Mitchell hasn't been close to that at any point. He's been pushed off the point,washed down in the 1 gap scheme everyone wants to use as an excuse, and just in general haven't played even average.

I think Cody is decent enough to be a rotational player for us at NT and DE. I think it's unrealistic to expect to fill all our needs in one off season, as there were many! I would like to grab a player with NT experience to start with Mitchell coming in on passing downs.

HJam72
08-27-2011, 06:17 PM
This is America. We can't find some big, fat guys? :wadepalm:

The Third Man
08-27-2011, 06:19 PM
After last season, complaining about nose tackle roster needs for this Texans team is like complaining about dinner on the Titanic. The DTs may suck, but there were other more pressing concerns.

badboy
08-27-2011, 11:49 PM
After last season, complaining about nose tackle roster needs for this Texans team is like complaining about dinner on the Titanic. The DTs may suck, but there were other more pressing concerns.Not sure if you are comparing Titanic to Texans but even on that fatal, sad last day, people still had to eat. We can discuss all weaknesses we perceive. I was impressed against SF, we seemingly closed that up the middle area much better. I want to see RB yards through that target zone in Sunday's paper. Maybe it looked better than it was.