PDA

View Full Version : Colts bring Kerry Collins out of retirement

vupac1
08-24-2011, 10:53 AM
http://twitter.com/#!/JimIrsay/statuses/106375346449940482

Would you rather face a gimpy Peyton Manning or Kerry Collins???

Tough choice. I'd pick Dan O, but oh well...

XI CMURDER IX
08-24-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm smelling a week 1 win... anyone else?

BigBull17
08-24-2011, 10:58 AM
They were due for some bad luck. They pay starters abscond worry with back ups and it really has never bit them in the ass. They honestly draft horribly and get away with it cause of 18. They were due, IMO

CharloTex
08-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Could just be they're implementing an insurance policy. But either way, it's a good sign that at the very least, they will not be playing a completely healthy, well-practiced Peyton Manning.

vupac1
08-24-2011, 11:02 AM
I feel like they are very concerned about Peyton now, but I honestly cannot imagine #18 letting his consecutive games streak end unless he's in a coma in week 1

houstonspartan
08-24-2011, 11:11 AM
We're kidding ourselves if we think Peyton will miss week 1. He'll be playing.

CharloTex
08-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Even if he does play, it's evident now that he will not be at 100% recovered, and he sure won't be 100% practiced and atuned to his receivers.

BetaV1
08-24-2011, 11:15 AM
This actually makes a lot of sense for the Colts. Think about it: Manning will likely only miss week 1, week 2 at the most. But given their options at quarterback with their current roster, why not get a guy who has marginal experience against the Texans. Thankfully the change in scheme will help here.

I personally think it's a testament to how much this Texan team scares the Colts that they're not comfortable going into week 1 without bringing in someone like Collins.

HJam72
08-24-2011, 11:16 AM
He will be even less recovered when we are through with him. :kingkong:

nero THE zero
08-24-2011, 11:16 AM

The guy has two neck surgeries in a 15 month span and the Colts, after watching their back-up QB's flounder and their owner subsquently tweet that there are worries about Peyton starting, go out and sign a veteran QB and we are "kidding ourselves" for entertaining the idea that he doesn't start?

I'd contend you're kidding yourself for thinking we're kidding ourselves.

Double Barrel
08-24-2011, 11:20 AM
I agree with nero. Manning, for all his greatness, is still human. Two neck surgeries in 15 months is what it is, and even he has his limitations.

Signing Collins is indicative of their concerns at QB right now. And I'd much rather face Colllins than a gimpy Manning.

houstonspartan
08-24-2011, 11:23 AM
The guy has two neck surgeries in a 15 month span and the Colts, after watching their back-up QB's flounder and their owner subsquently tweet that there are worries about Peyton starting, go out and sign a veteran QB and we are "kidding ourselves" for entertaining the idea that he doesn't start?

I'd contend you're kidding yourself for thinking we're kidding ourselves.

Fair enough. We will see.

Texan4Ever
08-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Damn, and my computer drafted Peyton Manning for my FFB league. :vincepalm:

EllisUnit
08-24-2011, 11:24 AM

as good as we have been getting after the quarter back, i think itd be best if he did miss week 1, would hate for watt/mario to rip the poor guys head off.

thetexanator
08-24-2011, 11:25 AM
week 1 win or fire kubiaks ass. no excuse not winning this game at home.

houstonspartan
08-24-2011, 11:29 AM
week 1 win or fire kubiaks ass. no excuse not winning this game at home.

lol. I defintely think the stars are aligning for the Texans this season like we've never seen before. Ever. We are the only stable team in the division. This is the year to make a move.

BetaV1
08-24-2011, 11:31 AM
as good as we have been getting after the quarter back, i think itd be best if he did miss week 1, would hate for watt/mario to rip the poor guys head off.

Oh man, imagine the hatred this team would instantly get if they just so happened to aggravate Manning's injury so bad that he misses the year. The Texans take out the NFL's golden boy. :tiphat:

Vinnie
08-24-2011, 11:34 AM
I fully expect to see Manning out there and in better shape than they're letting on. I think all the Collins signing shows is that they know they have shit for backups and the reality of Manning possibly going down is stronger than it's ever been. I hope Wade brings the house and puts Peyton on his ass early and often. Not saying hurt the guy, but rattle his cage and let's see that Peyton pout. Worrying about his neck will only help get that pout going.

Dutchrudder
08-24-2011, 11:36 AM
This sounds like a desperation move to me. Glad I didn't draft any Colts for my fantasy team this year.

Thorn
08-24-2011, 11:39 AM
He will be even less recovered when we are through with him. :kingkong:

The Colts aren't in our way to a division championship, Payton Manning is.

El Tejano
08-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Oh man, imagine the hatred this team would instantly get if they just so happened to aggravate Manning's injury so bad that he misses the year. The Texans take out the NFL's golden boy. :tiphat:

I would be fine with that. A team that's hated is a team top rated!

El Tejano
08-24-2011, 11:54 AM
The only reason I hope Manning doesn't play is because if he does with his gimp neck, it will be National Flag Day and roughing the passer penalties will be thrown all day against us.

Double Barrel
08-24-2011, 12:36 PM
In all seriousness, they have to be extremely careful with this situation. A blindside hit that smashes the QB to the ground could be devastating to him in this condition. And the Texans certainly should take NONE of this into account. If he's out there, he's a legit target and our defense's intentions should be to get to him as aggressively as they can and rattle his cage.

It will be on his coaches and trainers to evaluate his situation. Manning's obsession with records will cloud his judgment. Cooler heads need to see big picture (career) over short term (one game). I'd hate to see the game take out one of the NFL's all-time greats instead of him going on out his own terms. Even as a rival, I have much respect for Manning and don't want to see the guy's last play leaving the field on a stretcher.

HOU-TEX
08-24-2011, 12:48 PM
In all seriousness, they have to be extremely careful with this situation. A blindside hit that smashes the QB to the ground could be devastating to him in this condition. And the Texans certainly should take NONE of this into account. If he's out there, he's a legit target and our defense's intentions should be to get to him as aggressively as they can and rattle his cage.

It will be on his coaches and trainers to evaluate his situation. Manning's obsession with records will cloud his judgment. Cooler heads need to see big picture (career) over short term (one game). I'd hate to see the game take out one of the NFL's all-time greats instead of him going on out his own terms. Even as a rival, I have much respect for Manning and don't want to see the guy's last play leaving the field on a stretcher.

QFT! Plus, his commercials are funny.

CloakNNNdagger
08-24-2011, 01:03 PM

If caution and common sense prevails (on the part of all parties involved............. Manning, coach and training camp, AND ownership), don't expect to see Manning out there before week 7.

Trap_Star
08-24-2011, 01:11 PM
this is what is going to happen...peyton will start the game regardless. their first series he'll just hand it off to addai and throw a really short pass or two. once they have to punt they pull him from the game and just say he can't continue, but they'll say "he tried his hardest for the team". peyton loves him that starting streak...and pics of nude underage boys.

houstonspartan
08-24-2011, 01:13 PM

Good point. Especially considering he just became a dad. Peyton has a lot more things to worry about now than his record and career.

El Tejano
08-24-2011, 01:15 PM
The more we keep inviting the injury bug to any of our games, the more WE don't get rid of the injury bug. No bad Karma or anything like that is needed with Houston teams.

Grams
08-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Maybe the Colts have been watching the Texan's pre-season and the hits and sacks they are getting on the opposing QB and have decided that their 100 million dollar man needs to get healthy before he is subjected to that kind of punishment.

With the way the Texans have been in the past and thewau the rest of the AFC South looks to be this year - they might figure that half a year with Peyton will be enough to win the Division.

House of Pain
08-24-2011, 01:19 PM
You would really have to question letting Peyton start if he has a heightened risk of injuries, especially if you consider that they still have questions about their O-line.

KA4Texan
08-24-2011, 01:26 PM

Yeah but think of all the love from the fans of every other team facing them this season.

I'm comfortable with our team facing the colts W or W/O PM (A Lot of room for improvement obviously, but comfortable none the less.)

Corrosion
08-24-2011, 01:28 PM
I still cant believe they gave Peymeaton another 90 million .... before knowing how his recovery would play out. Not complaining tho , that franchise has had more than its share of good fortune in recent years.

beerlover
08-24-2011, 01:37 PM
what is a Colt thread doing in Texans Talk? mods please move to NFL League News & Current Events :cow:

Ole Miss Texan
08-24-2011, 01:39 PM
At first I wanted Peyton to play. We all know he won't be 100% and their offense is the most timing oriented offense in the league (with him). Now that I've thought about it and watched the first two preseason games, I'd rather Collins start.

(1) Collins is brand new to the team and will have had maybe 2 1/2 weeks to practice with the starters. Plus again this offseason was so different with the very shortened team practices, so that doesn't help Collins.

(2) If Peyton does play he's going to hand the ball off more than usual and their passing game will be quick, none of this 7 step drop and waiting for the play develop. Our defense can easily be run on, particularly up the middle, right now. Plus we have a tough time defending the short passes, slants, etc. Peyton would not give our pass rushers time to get to him, he'd get rid of the ball quicker than normal. Even Wade knowing this, I think our defense would struggle.

gtexan02
08-24-2011, 01:39 PM
what is a Colt thread doing in Texans Talk? mods please move to NFL League News & Current Events :cow:

It relates to us in week 1, as we now seem likely to be playing against Collins.

Too bad Mike Vanderjagt isn't with the team anymore.... :htown2atx: (not tasteful I know)

mootini
08-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Manning will play week one. Hell, an 80% Manning is better than most QB's in the league. Wouldn't you rather beat the Colts with Manning, than without? Without, you get the excuse, Texans beat the Colts because Manning didn't play.

CloakNNNdagger
08-24-2011, 01:45 PM

DB,
I doubt that many fans caught this news back when. But as football intelligent as he definitely seems to be, he evidently lacks something upstairs to be making decisions like this. Maybe, he's already been hit once too many.

Manning admits underperforming on baseline concussion tests (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81f83fbc/article/manning-admits-underperforming-on-baseline-concussion-tests)
NFL.com Wire Reports
Published: April 27, 2011 at 04:37 p.m. Updated: April 27, 2011 at 08:52 p.m.

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning admitted Wednesday that he intentionally tries to underperform on the NFL's preseason baseline concussion test so he can remain off the injury report if he suffers a head injury during the season.

"They have these new (brain) tests we have to take," he said. "Before the season, you have to look at 20 pictures and turn the paper over and then try to draw those 20 pictures. And they do it with words, too. Twenty words, you flip it over, and try to write those 20 words.

"Then, after a concussion, you take the same test and if you do worse than you did on the first test, you can't play. So I just try to do badly on the first test."

The four-time league MVP made the revelation in an ESPN.com article when he was asked for his opinion about recent research into the long-term effects of concussions during a joint interview with his father, Archie, and brother, Eli.

As an aside in the ESPN.com article, Archie Manning slapped his forehead in disapproval.

:kubepalm::wadepalm:

gtexan02
08-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Manning will play week one. Hell, an 80% Manning is better than most QB's in the league. Wouldn't you rather beat the Colts with Manning, than without? Without, you get the excuse, Texans beat the Colts because Manning didn't play.

Id rather win than anything. If their whole team is on IR and we play replacement players and we win, then I'll cheer and be happy!

Ole Miss Texan
08-24-2011, 01:52 PM

Id rather win than anything. If their whole team is on IR and we play replacement players and we win, then I'll cheer and be happy!

Key players miss games every single year. As far as I know there aren't asterisks next to those games nor do they diminish post-season appearances or victories. A win is a win is a win.... and we need them.

Trap_Star
08-24-2011, 01:57 PM

it's a no win situation for us. we beat them with manning, they get the he's not 100% excuse. we beat them without manning, we get the he didn't play excuse.

vupac1
08-24-2011, 02:01 PM

The initial point of the op was to discuss how it would affect our wk 1 matchup.. but mods, feel free to move if necessary

rush2112mn
08-24-2011, 02:30 PM
PPP.......Prepare for Payton.....that is what should be word.....

I think he will want to be out there......and will if he has anything to say about it.......he does not want to give up his consecutive games streak.....

Perki-Perk
08-24-2011, 02:32 PM
I wasn't that concerned when it was Manning..but please, whatever you do, don't put "the general" Collins out there!!

CharloTex
08-24-2011, 02:43 PM

I'd rather win against Collins than lose against Manning. It's THAT simple. Who's to say that other teams' success in the past wasn't in part due to injuries to Schaub (2 years), or AJ, or suspensions of Brown and Cushing, etc. It's PM's turn. Ride the bench and sit this one out. I have no problem with it.

Texan_Bill
08-24-2011, 03:39 PM

It's his neck so you err to the side of caution.

Ryan
08-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Who the hell cares if we beat the Colts without Manning. It's not like we haven't had our fair share of injuries before and that the win would go down in the record books with an asterisk beside it.

A win is a win is a win.

Doppelganger
08-24-2011, 04:07 PM
They were due for some bad luck. They pay starters abscond worry with back ups and it really has never bit them in the ass. They honestly draft horribly and get away with it cause of 18. They were due, IMO

Manning is a once in a generation QB. Ask Miami how easy it has been to replace Marino. Ask SF how easy it has been to replace Montana/Young. These kinds of QBs do not grow on trees. Once yours gets away/retires, you likely won't get another for a long, long time. Look how long Packer fans had to wait between Bart Starr and Favre.

When 18 retires, Indy will be a bottom feeder for a while.

ChampionTexan
08-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Manning is a once in a generation QB. Ask Miami how easy it has been to replace Marino. Ask SF how easy it has been to replace Montana/Young. These kinds of QBs do not grow on trees. Once yours gets away/retires, you likely won't get another for a long, long time. Look how long Packer fans had to wait between Bart Starr and Favre.

When 18 retires, Indy will be a bottom feeder for a while.

Or, Peyton could miss several games, be ineffective when he returns, the Colts go 2-14 and draft Andrew Luck. :butterfly::turtle::bored::specnatz::kitten:

michaelm
08-24-2011, 04:46 PM
The Colts aren't in our way to a division championship, The Houston Texans are

Fixed it.

Ryan
08-24-2011, 05:04 PM
According to sources close to Peyton they don't believe he'll be ready for the opener.

"AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
@mortreport reporting Colts' braintrust does not believe Peyton Manning will be ready for regular-season opener in Houston. Manning hopeful.
"

Trap_Star
08-24-2011, 05:06 PM
According to sources close to Peyton they don't believe he'll be ready for the opener.

"AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
@mortreport reporting Colts' braintrust does not believe Peyton Manning will be ready for regular-season opener in Houston. Manning hopeful.
"

not buying into it...he'll start. book it.

fiasco west
08-24-2011, 05:10 PM
If caution and common sense prevails (on the part of all parties involved............. Manning, coach and training camp, AND ownership), don't expect to see Manning out there before week 7.

I've always thought this was a pretty serious injury, especially if they rush him out there which it seems they want to do.

False Start
08-24-2011, 05:22 PM
Now him and Pat McAfee can get wasted and go swimmin. :drunk:

NBT
08-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Whether Peyton plays, or doesn't play, is a moot point. We have to beat whichever QB is out there.

The Colts will try to wring everything from Olav, about us, they can before they send him to the discard file. Collins, on the other hand, gave us some pretty good problems while he was with the Tacks. The thing is he is immobile, and if you put a good stiff pass rush on him, he will give it up.

Peyton could get 'em lined up before you could get a substitution in, which I don't think Kerry can do (at least not as well, or as fast).

If they don't play Peyton against us that first game, I think it will be because they are afraid of our new improved pass rush.

Hervoyel
08-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Who the hell cares if we beat the Colts without Manning. It's not like we haven't had our fair share of injuries before and that the win would go down in the record books with an asterisk beside it.

A win is a win is a win.

Exactly. Nobody ever asked that a win against the Texans be marked with some kind of asterisk because we had hurt players or no depth. A win against the Colts with or without Manning isn't a no-win situation for the Texans. It's absolutely a win.

Having said that I refuse to ever believe that Manning won't play like Robo-QB until I see it happen. Unless the man is in the process of hacking up a spleen he's still probably the single best player on earth at beating the Texans. I think he could do it in his sleep 2 out of 10 tries.

TdotTexas2Step
08-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Reggie Wayne apparently has a problem with this.

"We don't even know him, we ain't vanilla, man, we ain't no simple offense," receiver Reggie Wayne said. "So for him to can come in here and be the starter, I don't see it. I think that's a step back."

Wayne, a five-time Pro Bowler and one of Manning's favorite targets, has supported backup Curtis Painter. And while he called Collins "a great guy," he said he was worried about the Colts getting better.

"Who says Kerry's going to be the starter?" Wayne said. "Just because we bring him in doesn't mean he's the starter. He's got to learn too, right? Unless they gave him a playbook months ago, he's got to learn to.

"I don't care who you are, I mean I'm not going to let anyone just come in here and just push someone (like Painter) aside like you're that dog now, you know what I mean?" Wayne added.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6891243/indianapolis-colts-add-kerry-collins-sources-doubt-peyton-manning-ready

ObsiWan
08-24-2011, 06:31 PM
hmmm... sounds like Reggie's not too happy (http://http://www.cbssports.com/#!/nfl/story/15477884/colts-bring-collins-out-of-retirement-to-join-unsettled-qb-picture)

Wayne, a five-time Pro Bowl selection and one of Manning's favorite targets, has supported backup Curtis Painter (http://www.cbssports.com/#!/nfl/players/playerpage/502816/curtis-painter). And while he called Collins "a great guy," he said he was worried about the Colts getting better.
"Who says Kerry's going to be the starter?" Wayne said. "Just because we bring him in doesn't mean he's the starter. He's got to learn too, right? Unless they gave him a playbook months ago, he's got to learn too.
"I don't care who you are, I mean I'm not going to let anyone just come in here and just push someone [like Painter] aside like you're that dog now, you know what I mean?" Wayne added.

Ryan
08-24-2011, 06:34 PM
By all means, start Curtis Painter week 1 lol.

cland
08-24-2011, 06:45 PM
it's a no win situation for us. we beat them with manning, they get the he's not 100% excuse. we beat them without manning, we get the he didn't play excuse.

Hehe I'm quite sure the Texans will get a win where it counts. And the beauty of the division, is that we'll get the chance to kick their butts again later in the year with a healthy manning. Sweeping the Colts!!! Sounds good doesn't it!!!

Pantherstang84
08-24-2011, 07:12 PM

Ditto. This is all smoke and mirrors from the Ponies.

vupac1
08-24-2011, 07:18 PM

A win is a win is a win.

WHOOA. Hold up just one minute here... You mean the Colts got credit for a full W for the Rosencopter??

dalemurphy
08-24-2011, 07:26 PM
WHOOA. Hold up just one minute here... You mean the Colts got credit for a full W for the Rosencopter??

The Jets made the playoffs instead of us due to Peyton's voluntary absence in week 16 and 17 of 2009. Yeah, I'd say we have a few of these fortunate events coming.

DocBar
08-24-2011, 07:38 PM

w's are w's and l's are l's. T's are for sissies. Rosencopter cost us just as much as the game 1 debacle against the j-E-T-S.

CloakNNNdagger
08-24-2011, 08:27 PM
You've got to seriously question Collins' conditioning if he is called to take over Sept 11. There were pieces this past spring saying that Collins had not participated in any conditioning activities since last season. When he was asked to rejoin the Tacks, he initially agreed to do so. After taking time to think about it, he announced his retirement the end of July with this statement:

“After 16 fulfilling years of playing quarterback in the NFL, I am officially announcing my retirement from professional football,” Collins said in a statement released by Athletes First, the agency that represents him. “The past several months have brought much introspection, and I have decided that while my desire to compete on Sundays is still and always will be there, my willingness to commit to the preparation necessary to play another season has waned to a level that I feel is no longer adequate to meet the demands of the position.”

Kerry Collins has been here before, and it didn't go well (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/08/kerry-collins-has-been-here-before-and-it-didnt-go-well/1)

By Tom Weir, USA TODAY
Updated 2h 34m ago

Kerry Collins is suddenly a hot topic in the NFL. For perhaps the first time in his career he's getting compared to Brett Favre. But only because he has come out of retirement to be Peyton Manning's backup, or possibly his replacement, if Manning's neck problems linger.

Here are some historical notes to consider about the quarterback who may be handed the keys to one of the NFL's most feared offenses.

Collins has been signed late in the summer before, also on a semi-emergency basis. In 2006 the Titans brought him aboard on Aug. 28 when Billy Volek was struggling and Vince Young was a rookie. The crash course on Tennessee's offense didn't go well, as Collins was 0-3 as a starter before being benched. But, to be fair, his top receivers were Drew Bennett and Bobby Wade, not Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark.

If indeed Collins starts in Week 1 against Houston he will need to throw for only 111 yards to move to No. 10 all-time for career passing yards, supplanting NFL legend Joe Montana.

Collins already is in the NFL's 40,000-yard club with 40,411, but that's hardly a Hall of Fame credential. Just ask Vinny Testaverde (46,233, 7th all-time) and Drew Bledsoe (44,611, No. 8.)

Some fans in Indianapolis no doubt are asking whether the Colts should have made a greater effort to land a backup for Manning earlier, and for good reason. In his last two seasons at Tennessee, Collins was 2-5 as a starter in 2010, and 0-6 in 2009. He's 81-96 all-time as an NFL starter.

So what does Colts president Bill Polian like about Collins? Maybe it's some of Collins' performances against Indianapolis from 2007-2010. Collins quarterbacked the Titans to wins against Indy in 2007 and 2008. And in 2010 Collins kept a mediocre (6-10) Tennessee team surprisingly close to the AFC South champions in two losses (30-28 and 23-20). Or maybe Polian wants to prove he had it right in 1995, when as GM at Carolina he made Collins the first draft choice in Panthers history.

And this isn't the first time a development in the Manning family has led to a roster move involving Collins. In 2004 he was released by the Giants after they drafted Eli Manning.

DBCooper
08-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Quit dreaming.

Peyton will play week 1.

mattieuk
08-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Quit dreaming.

Peyton will play week 1.

If he is not 100% I hope he does. The rhythm is often off in the first week anyway, and is Peyton hasn't been out there taking reps, and s still feelin' it a little, then we've got to fancy our chances!

I'm a little surprised they picked up Collins though - if he suits up the Texans' prep work for him won't be as intense due to the meetings recently.

michaelm
08-24-2011, 11:45 PM
Ditto. This is all smoke and mirrors from the Ponies.

No offense, but that doesn't make any sense at all. And by "at all", I mean at all.

If Peyton Manning, one of the best quarterbacks in NFL history, is healthy enough to play in game 1, why in the hell would it be necessary for the Colts to use smoke and mirror against a team that he is 16-2 against?

Peyton might end up playing, but I think your conspiracy theory is a stretch at best.

SteveSlaton20
08-25-2011, 02:45 AM
I fully expect to see Manning out there and in better shape than they're letting on. I think all the Collins signing shows is that they know they have shit for backups and the reality of Manning possibly going down is stronger than it's ever been. I hope Wade brings the house and puts Peyton on his ass early and often. Not saying hurt the guy, but rattle his cage and let's see that Peyton pout. Worrying about his neck will only help get that pout going.

Shoot, I don't care if we have to kill the guy or not, just win the freaking game.

Pantherstang84
08-25-2011, 06:49 AM
No offense, but that doesn't make any sense at all. And by "at all", I mean at all.

If Peyton Manning, one of the best quarterbacks in NFL history, is healthy enough to play in game 1, why in the hell would it be necessary for the Colts to use smoke and mirror against a team that he is 16-2 against?

Peyton might end up playing, but I think your conspiracy theory is a stretch at best.

No offense but I never said the smoke and mirrors was directly solely towards the Texans. I'm just saying anyone who feels like Manning will not start week 1 is delusional. Maybe the Colts ownership is panicking, but if Peyton Manning is upright on 9/11/2011, he will start.

After all, this is the team that is one of the worst offenders of lying on injury reports.

michaelm
08-25-2011, 09:25 AM
No offense but I never said the smoke and mirrors was directly solely towards the Texans. I'm just saying anyone who feels like Manning will not start week 1 is delusional. Maybe the Colts ownership is panicking, but if Peyton Manning is upright on 9/11/2011, he will start.

After all, this is the team that is one of the worst offenders of lying on injury reports.

You might not have said that it was directed at the Texans, but IMO, it is inherent in your statement that the Texans are really the logical team that any such smoke and mirrors would be directed toward.
It wouldn't be directed toward any of their remaining preseason opponents, and it doesn't make sense that it would be directed toward their week two, three of four opponents, so the Texans are the logical conclusion.

I think it's much more likely that their management is overreacting than a matter of smoke and mirrors, but at any rate, you could end up being correct that he will play.

HOU-TEX
08-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Personally, I think Manning will be playing. However, the Colts paying Collins $4 million has me thinkin there's a real possibility Jughead won't play

Ole Miss Texan
08-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Whether its Peyton or Collins, expect the timing to me way off on their offense. Some inaccurate throws, miscommunication between QB/WR.... I see some tipped and deflected balls falling into our defenses' hands.

b0ng
08-25-2011, 12:37 PM

Don't really care what Colts fans say if we win. Especially if we continue to win after that.

SheTexan
08-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Don't really care what Colts fans say if we win. Especially if we continue to win after that.

^^^^^^ This!! It's our record at the end of the year that counts, not game one!

All the media hypes are gonna rag on us regardless, so who cares if PM plays or not. Personally, I think he will play. He has a HUGE ego that sits on top of that sore neck, and this is a division game. NO way will he let losing the division to us be blamed on him not being able to play that first game. His pride can't take that type of hit, and you can bet your butt he's worried about the Texans this year. The pieces are falling together for us, and PM is well aware of that. He also knows that when we face them the second time this season, we will be much better, if we survive the injury bug. He'll play!! Bet on it!!

michaelm
08-25-2011, 04:26 PM
^^^^^^ This!! It's our record at the end of the year that counts, not game one!

All the media hypes are gonna rag on us regardless, so who cares if PM plays or not. Personally, I think he will play. He has a HUGE ego that sits on top of that sore neck, and this is a division game. NO way will he let losing the division to us be blamed on him not being able to play that first game. His pride can't take that type of hit, and you can bet your butt he's worried about the Texans this year. The pieces are falling together for us, and PM is well aware of that. He also knows that when we face them the second time this season, we will be much better, if we survive the injury bug. He'll play!! Bet on it!!

Not aimed at you, but a general response to whether or not he will play.

I know it's easy for people to overlook the true human side of a story like this. They see Peyton Manning, who for all intents and purposes is larger than life, and ascribe traits to him that are somewhat more than human.
On the purely human side, we're talking about a guy who had surgery on his neck twice.
That's a scary thing.
I don't care how tough he is, or how much he thinks is on the line by missing one game, the guy is facing a decision that could have a major impact on his health and well being if he chooses wrong.

Yes, the game is important, but I think the nature of his injury is an exponentially larger factor in his decision than something like a torn ligament, or broken bone.
I think we can all agree that Manning is a smart guy. I just don't see him allowing his pride, or competitiveness to over ride common sense in this scenario. Not with that type of injury.

Having said that, sure he might end up playing... but I don't think it will be a "damn the torpedos, victory at all costs" decision. He will only play if he is confident that his injury will allow it.

CloakNNNdagger
08-25-2011, 05:16 PM

I know it's easy for people to overlook the true human side of a story like this. They see Peyton Manning, who for all intents and purposes is larger than life, and ascribe traits to him that are somewhat more than human.
On the purely human side, we're talking about a guy who had surgery on his neck twice.
That's a scary thing.
I don't care how tough he is, or how much he thinks is on the line by missing one game, the guy is facing a decision that could have a major impact on his health and well being if he chooses wrong.

Yes, the game is important, but I think the nature of his injury is an exponentially larger factor in his decision than something like a torn ligament, or broken bone.
I think we can all agree that Manning is a smart guy. I just don't see him allowing his pride, or competitiveness to over ride common sense in this scenario. Not with that type of injury.

Having said that, sure he might end up playing... but I don't think it will be a "damn the torpedos, victory at all costs" decision. He will only play if he is confident that his injury will allow it.

From what has come out of the Colts and Manning himself, Manning evidently has been trying to avoid surgery since 4 years ago when he first started having problems with his neck. He again waited until near the end of May to have his 2nd surgery after trying to rehab his neck himself. He could have opted to have this last surgery right after the 2010 season had ended. The longer you wait to decompress a cervical nerve which is under pressure, the greater the extent of the damage. When taken care of quickly, many times there is instant relief of the preoperatively noted problems. At one point in time though, the damage from chronic pressure can be such that the return of function is extremely slow (up to 2 years) and, unfortunately, sometimes ultimately incomplete. The other thing that needs to be kept in mind is that the "minimally-invasive" surgeries still may not have entirely eliminated the pressure on the nerve, and that he will soon require the more major "open" fusion surgery to do so. Again, if this is the case, the longer he waits, the less predictable the return of function, despite adequate decompression of the nerve. Likewise, if he continues to traumatize the nerve through the decision to return to play, the situation certainly cannot become any lesser.

You can rehab a muscle with concentrated effort. But there is very little that can be done to hasten the rehab of a nerve. And, after all, it is the nerve that gives the muscle the signal to function. Poor nerve function will therefore, always result in poor muscle function.

Trap_Star
08-25-2011, 05:28 PM

Don't care either, but I was referring to the talking heads on national tv/radio.

To me a win is a win but people will always try to have excuses for it.

DocBar
08-25-2011, 07:03 PM
From a personal standpoint, I hope PM takes care of himself. I had a 12 yr "career" riding roughstock at county fairs and the such, and I can tell you, from 1st hand experience, that the physical toll just isn't worth it. I've had 6 arthroscopic surgeries on joints, 1 abdominal surgery, declined surgery on my jaw, cheekbone and eye socket, and need several more surgeries on various joints. That's not even considering the concussions I've suffered. Between the need to make some $$ and the need to "prove" I was tough, I never thought twice.
Now I'm 41, have trouble getting out of bed some mornings, can't walk half a mile without stopping, memory problems, blah, blah, blah.
The competiveness that makes a pro athlete also breaks them. I would gladly trade the buckles, saddles and cash I won for a somewhat healthy body. The desire to win and compete clouds the ability to reason. I hope everyone involved with PM councils him wisely and I hope he listens. I have buried a few friends that didn't listen and visit a few that are in wheelchairs because they didn't.

Pantherstang84
08-25-2011, 09:27 PM

That's a scary thing.

Peyton Manning is human like everyone else. His ego is a different story. He wants Favre's iron man record. After all this is the guy that threw his team mates under the bus after a first round playoff loss. Blaming everyone but himself.

Pantherstang84
08-25-2011, 09:32 PM
Don't care either, but I was referring to the talking heads on national tv/radio.

To me a win is a win but people will always try to have excuses for it.

I don't really care what the talking heads say either. Honestly, I do not know why fans pine for respect from those clowns. Just win and take care of business. Screw those guys.

CloakNNNdagger
08-27-2011, 11:18 AM
GreenBay had the 1s in for a pretty short period of time........no one looked sharp.

Curtis Painter shows signs of life (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/26/curtis-painter-shows-signs-of-life/)

Colts President Bill Polian has already said that Kerry Collins will start Indy’s season opener if Peyton Manning isn’t ready.

While it’s probably too late, Curtis Painter is doing his best on Friday night to change Polian’s mind. Painter struggled as usual in his first couple drives, starting 1-of-5 for seven yards. He has difficulty recognizing blitzes.

Painter turned it around after that, completing 9-of-15 for 159 yards and two touchdowns to give the Colts a 14-10 lead over the Packers at halftime.

A few caveats apply. Some of Green Bay’s starters weren’t in for the second touchdown drive. Painter’s 57-yard throw to Reggie Wayne came in what amounted to a blown coverage.

We doubt this will be enough for Painter to challenge Collins, but it may be enough to win a roster spot and kick Dan Orlovsky off the roster eventually.[/QUOTE]

Trail.Blazr
08-27-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm leaning toward Kerry starting with all probability watching Manning on the sidelines for a few weeks...

If they thought PM would be good to go by week 1 or 2, there is little reason to bring in a retired Collins. Painter or Dan O isn't who you would want to hang your hat on for a season, but certainly, if you felt confident Manning would be throwing by week 2 or 3, they'd like their chances for a full season run. You don't pay 4 million dollars for a retired QB to come into camp if you are questioning the certainty of Manning for just 1 or 2 weeks. This smells longer.

The only person saying Manning will be ready for week 1 is Manning. Even if he thought otherwise, there is no reason but to keep on saying what he's saying. It keeps everyone else speculating. Why would he say otherwise?

At 90mil for 5, if they never see the playoffs again, Manning is paid 1.1mil per game. To bring Collins in for 1 or 2 games at 4mil just seems STEEP. I doubt they feel Collins to be worthy of that kind of 2 game paycheck.

What do I know.. I just thinking out loud.

Either way, Collins vs. Manning with a week's throwing... It's all good for this Texans fan!

One additional thought... "IF" Manning's streak ends, and "IF" the colts are mathematically out of it by the end of week 15... Does Manning sit the final two games of the season? Based on recent history of Colts "playing it safe" with such decisions, I could see it where we are facing a Painter project in week 16...

Man, I can't wait for week 1!

GP
08-27-2011, 03:49 PM
ESPN story on espn.com says Colts likely to activate Manning before Sept. 3.

The word "likely" was used by Polian, IIRC, in a direct quote.

Too lazy to post the article and quote and link. Go hunt it down if you want it.

:eatinglunchnow:

ChampionTexan
08-27-2011, 04:42 PM

Too lazy to post the article and quote and link. Go hunt it down if you want it.

That's really a non-story because all "Activating" him means is he's on the roster and eligible to play - not that he's healthy. Not activating means he is forced to miss the first six games of the regular season.

CloakNNNdagger
08-27-2011, 05:40 PM

It was Caldwell that said that. http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp11/story/_/id/6900658/peyton-manning-indianapolis-colts-come-pup-list-shortly

But today, it's like a take-me-back:

But Caldwell was more vague today.

“I’m not certain of that at this point in time,” Caldwell said regarding the question of when Peyton will be able to practice, according to quotes issued by the team. “The doctors, at some point in time, will take a look and make a determination. When they say Peyton’s ready to go, he’s certainly going (to). We’ll adapt and adjust and he’ll take part in some form of practice, whenever that is. It could be today, it could be tomorrow or it could be a week from now. I’m not real sure. Whenever that is we’ll adjust, and he’ll certainly participate.”link (http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-08-27/manning-still-hopes-to-play-in-week-1#ixzz1WGfHPnw1)

edo783
08-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Dolts are just trying to play head games and keeping folks guessing. MOST of the Dolts management likely has major doubts Payton will play, but Payton thinks he will, so they play along, but are still trying to cover their backsides without just coming out and saying he isn't playing. I bet he DOES start, but the first time it looks like we are going to be able to get to him, he will be out of the game so fast it will make your head spin. Keeps his record in tact and protects them for the future. As long as we plan for the Payton quality of QB play, anything else will be easier.

CloakNNNdagger
08-28-2011, 12:11 AM
Dolts are just trying to play head games and keeping folks guessing. MOST of the Dolts management likely has major doubts Payton will play, but Payton thinks he will, so they play along, but are still trying to cover their backsides without just coming out and saying he isn't playing. I bet he DOES start, but the first time it looks like we are going to be able to get to him, he will be out of the game so fast it will make your head spin. Keeps his record in tact and protects them for the future. As long as we plan for the Payton quality of QB play, anything else will be easier.

Peyton has to watching the Texans D...........then watching his Oline in preseason. If he is foolish enough to and allowed to play game 1 regular season, even for a short while, that will likely be when his consecutive game streak ends.........if not his season.

The Cush
08-28-2011, 01:17 AM
Wow, they paid this old man a lot of money AND it is potentially for 2 years.

If the Indianapolis Colts need Kerry Collins past the 2011 season, it will cost them.

The contract between the Colts and Collins originally was reported to be a one-year deal, but the team actually has signed the 17-year veteran quarterback to a two-year, $14 million pact, The Indianapolis Star reported Saturday.

Collins is guaranteed $4 million this season, thanks to a $1.5 million base salary and $2.5 million signing bonus. He would receive $10 million in base salary in 2012.

The Star reported that Collins will count just $2.75 million against the NFL salary cap this season because he received a two-year deal.

Although rehabilitating quarterback Peyton Manning is determined to start the Sept. 11 season opener, Collins is tasked with being ready to go against the Houston Texans.

"Hopefully, Peyton will be back, but if he's not, maybe I can be one of the guys that can help this ballclub," Collins said Wednesday after joining the team.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d821c3150/article/now-thats-relief-collins-deal-with-colts-for-two-years-14m?module=HP11_headline_stack

Ryan
08-28-2011, 01:22 AM
Lol, $14 million for a backup. Kerry Collins will be starting week 1 and for a while it looks like to me.

CloakNNNdagger
08-30-2011, 04:38 PM
From the IndyStar

New Colts backup
QB Kerry Collins will
'play a lot' in final
preseason game

1:00 PM, Aug. 30, 2011|

Peyton Manning won’t be playing, but
Indianapolis Colts fans can expect to see a
whole lot of Kerry Collins at quarterback in
Thursday’s NFL preseason finale at
Cincinnati.

How much Collins will play, just a week
after he was signed to be Manning’s
backup, the Colts aren’t saying. But suffice
to say the 17th-year veteran will need
quality time at Paul Brown Stadium to
advance his quick study of the playbook.

“He’s going to play a lot,” Colts coach Jim
Caldwell said in today’s news conference at
the team’s West 56th Street complex.
“Obviously we’ll kind of determine that
here in the next couple days or so.”

Caldwell didn’t say Collins would start, as is
presumed. Asked if reserve quarterback
Curtis Painter will play, the coach said, “We’
re not real sure of exactly what we’re going
to do, what our rotation is as of yet.”

Collins was signed to back up Manning,
who on Monday was taken off the
physically-unable-to-perform (PUP) list in
the next step of the four-time NFL MVP’s
rehabilitation from neck surgery May 23.

Manning has been cleared to practice on a
limited basis but confirmed he won’t play
against the Bengals.

Collins was retired when the Colts,
concerned about Manning being ready for
the Sept. 11 season opener at Houston,
called his Nashville, Tenn., home.

Colts vice chairman Bill Polian drafted
Collins out of Penn State with the fifth
overall pick in 1995. While with the Nittany
Lions, Collins had Caldwell as his position
coach for two years.

“Really, I’m looking at getting him the
experience of operating the offense in a
game-type situation,” Caldwell said. “There
are only so many things you can simulate in
practice, but it’s a little bit different in the
ballgame.

“But the nice thing is the fact that he’s been
in ‘em, he understands concepts, he
understands the basic philosophy of what
we’re trying to do. He’s way ahead in that
regard.”

That also goes for Manning, should he be foolish enough to play.

CloakNNNdagger
09-02-2011, 03:00 PM
http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2011/09/02/week-1-quarterback-situations/

Colts: Likely starting Peyton Manning. Kerry Collins looked pretty good with the vanilla offense against the second-team Cincinnati D and Painter will push him for the second string. However, Peyton Manning asked the front office to let him decide whether or not he plays. Manning is such a competitor that – unless his career would be endangered by him playing -, he’ll make his 228th consecutive start. He’s off the PUP list and knows this week 1, against AFC South challengers Houston, is a big game in which he – even with limited practice – gives the Colts the best chance to win. Kerry Collins is 2nd only to Peyton Manning among active players in yards in the air. McNabb is 3rd, replacing the former #1 Brett Favre as the starting Viking quarterback.

CloakNNNdagger
09-02-2011, 03:14 PM
With the way our 1st team D has developed, the Colts indeed should worry about their OL.
Kravitz is the IndyStar's Colts sports writer.
Kravitz: Offensive line offers reason to worry (http://www.indystar.com/article/20110902/SPORTS15/109020331/Kravitz-Offensive-line-offers-reason-worry?odyssey=obinsite)

CINCINNATI -- We're worrying about the wrong people. We're worrying about the quarterbacks, worrying specifically whether Kerry Collins can get up to speed in time for the Indianapolis Colts' Sept. 11 opener in Houston.

Quit worrying.

And focus your concern on the people in front of the quarterback, whether it's Peyton Manning, Collins, Curtis Painter or Jim Harbaugh taking the snaps.

Houston, they have a problem, and now that the preseason is done after the Colts' 17-13 victory over the Bengals, the problem continues to be the Indianapolis offensive line. Maybe over time, this group will come together, but 10 days before the opener in Houston, this group scares me silly.

After the game, center Jeff Saturday said he's comfortable with the way his group has progressed. But, then, what else would you expect him to say?

"We're still working,'' he said. "(Ryan) Diem moving inside, he wasn't doing it two weeks ago. (Anthony) Castonzo starting, (Joe) Reitz changing (positions), we're still working, but I am comfortable with where we are . . . We're clicking, we're talking and we're getting better every week.''

The preseason results, though, suggest otherwise.

One week after Jeff Linkenbach struggled against Green Bay, Castonzo had his problems with Cincinnati defensive end Michael Johnson.

And the running game . . . blecch.

During a first half in which the Colts played their front-line offensive linemen, they ran for 2 yards on six carries.

As for Kerry Collins . . . no worries.

The guy came off his couch, had just four practices, played with backups at the skill positions, and showed just about everything the Colts needed to see.

Namely, he still has an arm.

His first play from scrimmage, he aired out a nice ball to receiver David Gilreath, who drew the pass interference call.

"I guess they wanted to see how far I could throw it still, I guess,'' he said, smiling.

The next series, he found Taj Smith on a nice slant that led to a first down. (WTHR's Rich Nye ripped off the line of the game: "Taj is having a Drew Haddad kind of night.'')

There was another nice throw on a pass bobbled and dropped by Chris Brooks.

Collins had a chance to play with the starting offensive line, which made a ton of sense, but didn't get any time with the starting skill-position people, which didn't. If there's any chance Collins starts Sept. 11 in Houston, don't you want to see him take a few snaps now with Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon and Dallas Clark?

(Jim Caldwell said he considered playing the starters, but with Austin Collie and Anthony Gonzalez injured, he chose to take the cautious route and sit them.)

"I felt comfortable,'' Collins said. "I saw the field well, made some good throws, and there was a lot to learn from. All in all, I thought there were a lot of positive things.''

It's abundantly clear that if Collins has to play, this offensive line is going to have to be better -- a lot better -- than it has been this preseason. Collins makes Manning look like Michael Vick in the pocket. Manning is brilliant at feeling and sidestepping the rush. Collins will be a sitting duck.

ChampionTexan
09-02-2011, 10:31 PM
http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2011/09/02/week-1-quarterback-situations/

Colts: Likely starting Peyton Manning. Kerry Collins looked pretty good with the vanilla offense against the second-team Cincinnati D and Painter will push him for the second string. However, Peyton Manning asked the front office to let him decide whether or not he plays. Manning is such a competitor that – unless his career would be endangered by him playing -, he’ll make his 228th consecutive start. He’s off the PUP list and knows this week 1, against AFC South challengers Houston, is a big game in which he – even with limited practice – gives the Colts the best chance to win. Kerry Collins is 2nd only to Peyton Manning among active players in yards in the air. McNabb is 3rd, replacing the former #1 Brett Favre as the starting Viking quarterback.

A differing opinion:

ESPN's Adam Schefter predicted on Sportcenter Friday that Kerry Collins would be the starting quarterback for the Indianapolis Colts in Week 1.

"They're going as if Kerry Collins is going to be the starter," said Schefter. "That's the feeling in the organization." Schefter appears to be referring the early season only; the Colts wouldn't have removed Peyton Manning from the PUP list if they expected him to sit out the entire year. We'll know more when the Colts begin Week 1 preparations next week, but for now it looks like Collins is in the driver's seat to start against the Texans. It would be a major early-season blow to all of Indianapolis' pass catchers.

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/19776/Schefter--Kerry-Collins-will-start-Week-1-for-Colts/Default.aspx

b0ng
09-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Is it really weird that I think the Texans will win against the Colts in Houston no matter who starts, be it 18 or Vodka Collins?

CloakNNNdagger
09-02-2011, 11:20 PM
A differing opinion:

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/19776/Schefter--Kerry-Collins-will-start-Week-1-for-Colts/Default.aspx

I would accept the latter scenario........if Peyton uses good judgement........or the Colts do if Peyton doesn't.

CloakNNNdagger
09-02-2011, 11:54 PM
Is it really weird that I think the Texans will win against the Colts in Houston no matter who starts, be it 18 or Vodka Collins?

I tend to agree with you.

BTW, also as an aside, a great deal of credit should be extended to Collins for having not having taken a drink since 2000........turning his life totally around.

Ryan
09-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Peyton says he'll play:kitten:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-9fmlV3VFg

ObsiWan
09-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Peyton says he'll play:kitten:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-9fmlV3VFg

Aaah yes... The Onion. Their sports dept. is right up there with the Chronicle's...
:kitten:

Ryan
09-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Aaah yes... The Onion. Their sports dept. is right up there with the Chronicle's...
:kitten:

probably better outside of LZ. :turtle:

ChampionTexan
09-04-2011, 08:07 PM
No clue as to the credibility of this guy, but from some Indianapolis radio talk show host...

JMV1070 JMV1070
Been told by multi sources that QB P Manning needs a 2nd neck procedure. Will remain out indefinitely.Called #colts and waiting on response.

Rey
09-04-2011, 08:35 PM
No clue as to the credibility of this guy, but from some Indianapolis radio talk show host...

I would not be surprised.

I have thought for a while now that Peyton would not be playing game 1 based on what I heard and read.

DocBar
09-04-2011, 08:46 PM
No clue as to the credibility of this guy, but from some Indianapolis radio talk show host...JMV1070 JMV1070
Been told by multi sources that QB P Manning needs a 2nd neck procedure. Will remain out indefinitely.Called #colts and waiting on response.
I hope it's not too serious. I'll take the wins while he's out, but hope he's OK.

thunderkyss
09-04-2011, 08:48 PM
* <-That's what will be next to the Texans if the Texans win the division the year Peyton doesn't play.

I'll take it, but that is not what I want. I want this team to win the division by beating the best team in the division.

If we don't beat Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Atlanta, any team on our schedule with a winning record, then this is an empty victory (if it happens).

Ryan
09-04-2011, 08:48 PM
If that is true, wow there's no excuse for us to not win the division. Not that there was one before.

thunderkyss
09-04-2011, 08:50 PM
If that is true, wow there's no excuse for us to not win the division. Not that there was one before.

Jacksonville was closer to winning the division in '10 than we were

Rey
09-04-2011, 08:51 PM
* <-That's what will be next to the Texans if the Texans win the division the year Peyton doesn't play.

I'll take it, but that is not what I want. I want this team to win the division by beating the best team in the division.

If we don't beat Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Atlanta, any team on our schedule with a winning record, then this is an empty victory (if it happens).

If the Texans beat some good teams there won't be any asterisk. If we win a weak division, I'd take it, but there would definitely still be quite a few questions moving forward.

Norg
09-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Who who ever plays wk1 agsnist us we are taking him out "evil grin". Made blitzes !!!!!

Norg
09-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Dang i heard got word peyton will need another operation And will bw out for the season if fhats true

Houston door to the playoffs just blew off the hinges

ChampionTexan
09-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Either Robert Irsay is lending some credence to this, or he's kind of a sick individual. Incidentally, if it's the second thing, I actually find it pretty amusing - of course I'm not a Colts fan.

What is Irsay Talking About? (http://18to88.com/2011-archives/september/what-is-irsay-talking-about.html)

Maddict5
09-04-2011, 09:14 PM
damn il take it but i think this team beats the colts with or without peyton... if we do win, we wont get full credit for it

betting heavy on the texans winning the division 2morro though!

DocBar
09-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Over on coltfreaks, they're...freaking out. A lot of them think the guy who's twatter account started the rumor is hacked again because it was hacked last week or so. Another part of the story is about Jim Irsay's twats. Say what you will about Bob McNair, but I'll take him over Irsay any day of the week. What a weird SOB.

Norg
09-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Its a two way race now with us and the jags dont take a blind eye to the jags they always play us tough

Anwayz to fhe guy who said he would like to beat fhe colts yeah we can only play the players fhey put on ths field what can we do

I would think getting to fhe playoffs and beating pittsburg new england or fhe chargers would be just has goox imo

That would be crazy if it was hou vs jags in ths playoffs lol

Ryan
09-04-2011, 09:23 PM
damn il take it but i think this team beats the colts with or without peyton... if we do win, we wont get full credit for it

betting heavy on the texans winning the division 2morro though!

We'll get a W and that's all that matters. We will have plenty of opportunities to make statements this year, namely @New Orleans and vs. Pittsburgh.

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2011, 07:32 PM
No matter what, the Colts will have lots to overcome this season.

From the New York Times:

Clearly the Colts’ playbook will be drastically scaled back for however long Collins plays. Collins is a smart player who knows how to prepare himself, but the Colts are ill-equipped to change their fundamental nature quickly. Their running game, with Joseph Addai and Donald Brown (neither of whom reached 500 yards last year), is something of an annual adventure. Last year, the Colts ranked 28th in the N.F.L. in rushing attempts and 29th in rushing yards. This year is even harder to forecast because their offensive line is in flux.

The Colts are so dependent on Manning and the points he produces — last year, the Colts ranked fourth in the league in points scored, averaging 27.2 — that they were able to win 10 games and their division last season even though they ranked 23rd in points allowed, with 24.2. That is especially bad news considering that after a Week 2 game against the Cleveland Browns, they play one of the N.F.L’s perennial superpowers, Pittsburgh Steelers.

Norg
09-05-2011, 07:37 PM
and hopefully we put collins back into retirement "evil Grin"

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2011, 10:53 PM
With the make up of the Colts OL, I see not only Collins getting beaten up, but their RBs are also going to take beatings big time........they will have to make their own yardage........I don't give them a long half-life.:chef:

JPPT1974
09-06-2011, 12:17 AM
Well Manning if he is out for 2011, then the Colts and fans have so much to be worried about. They gave Manning recently a huge $90M deal.

thunderkyss
09-06-2011, 10:19 AM
With the make up of the Colts OL, I see not only Collins getting beaten up, but their RBs are also going to take beatings big time........they will have to make their own yardage........I don't give them a long half-life.:chef:

I'd be ecstatic if we show some semblance of a run D. We haven't seen any yet.

TheCD
09-06-2011, 10:50 AM
If Peyton can't play this season, I think the Brady vs. Manning issue is finally put to rest. For all the talk of how "the Colts would be nothing without Manning", if they have a winning season that is debunked (which most agree won't happen).

The Brady-less Patriots went 11-5 without him. I think if the Colts were able to squeeze out a 10+ win season without Manning, then surely Brady comes out as infinitely better.

CloakNNNdagger
09-06-2011, 12:40 PM
I'd be ecstatic if we show some semblance of a run D. We haven't seen any yet.

I believe that with their 2 RBs, we will see more runs to the outside than thru the middle and little screen passes......all to the outside again. Our middle may not be tested all that much.

El Tejano
09-06-2011, 02:27 PM
If Joseph can hang with Wayne we can win this game. If the Colts wanna run that is fine with me. I'll take our offense vs. theirs in a low scoring game any day.

Rey
09-06-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm feeling good right about now, because I'm expecting the team to deliver an ass whoopin!

CloakNNNdagger
09-06-2011, 06:03 PM
The Colts have relied on choreographed split second timing all these years. With their new rag tag QB and OL, they'll be lucky if they don't come looking like a 1910 silent film.

CloakNNNdagger
09-06-2011, 09:05 PM
I've been reviewing a number of Collins highlight compilations. It's obvious that he seldom takes a 3 step drop. Most of his drops are 5-7 steps........amazingly, even in the shot gun, he usually takes 4-5 step drops.

GP
09-07-2011, 12:51 AM

What you want is not lining up with what matters.

What matters is getting into the playoffs. With the Rockets, we always got into the playoffs but lost to some combination of Jazz-Sonics-Suns. This Texans team can't even get to the playoffs.

Getting to the playoffs, by hook or by crook, is the only thing that matters.

After getting our doors blown off by Peyton Manning 16 out of 18 meetings over the past 9 years...you bet your boots I'll take a Manning-less Colts every day of the week. Tired of seeing that guy twice every season. He needs to get a TV analyst job and brag about how the new Colts can't handle us like he could.

ObsiWan
09-07-2011, 12:57 AM

The Colts have relied on choreographed split second timing all these years. With their new rag tag QB and OL, they'll be lucky if they don't come looking like a 1910 silent film.

I sure hope your analysis skills are as good as your diagnostic skills usually are.
:goodluck:

bo orlando
09-07-2011, 01:47 AM
No matter what, the Colts will have lots to overcome this season.

From the New York Times:

Clearly the Colts’ playbook will be drastically scaled back for however long Collins plays. Collins is a smart player who knows how to prepare himself, but the Colts are ill-equipped to change their fundamental nature quickly. Their running game, with Joseph Addai and Donald Brown (neither of whom reached 500 yards last year), is something of an annual adventure. Last year, the Colts ranked 28th in the N.F.L. in rushing attempts and 29th in rushing yards. This year is even harder to forecast because their offensive line is in flux.

Pretty sure the Colts playbook is already one of the most scaled back in the league (on both sides of the ball). They run the same formations pretty often and rely on Manning to read the defense at the line of scrimmage, essentially leaving much of the playcalling to Manning. In recent years, it's seemed that when they do run a preset play (always on early downs) the results are often embarrassing.

CloakNNNdagger
09-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Pretty sure the Colts playbook is already one of the most scaled back in the league (on both sides of the ball). They run the same formations pretty often and rely on Manning to read the defense at the line of scrimmage, essentially leaving much of the playcalling to Manning. In recent years, it's seemed that when they do run a preset play (always on early downs) the results are often embarrassing.

This is like having an ultra-expensive game computer with all the bells and whistles that burns up its i7 processor............and replacing it with an i3 processor...................................and the Colts don't even have all the bells and whistles to begin with.

http://www.free-registry-cleaner-review.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/sick.jpg

thunderkyss
09-07-2011, 10:09 AM

This is where we see what kind of Coach Jim Caldwell is.

I doubt they're going to try to turn Collins into Manning.

ThaShark316
09-07-2011, 12:15 PM
This is where we see what kind of Coach Jim Caldwell is.

I doubt they're going to try to turn Collins into Manning.

He's the worst coach in the NFL. EASILY. Kubiak is ****ing Lombardi compared to that *****.

vupac1
09-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Manning officially ruled OUT for wk1 per espn

CloakNNNdagger
09-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Manning officially ruled OUT for wk1 per espn

Rick Reilly may soon regret that promise about Peyton

By Tom Weir, USA TODAY
Updated 1h 52m ago

Being a sportswriter was safer before the Internet. Poorly chosen words became the next day's fish wrapper or bird cage liner instead of being forever archived in cyberspace.

With that in mind, we recycle this promise Rick Reilly made in an ESPN.com column just last month, conveniently excavated by Deadspin:

"Peyton Manning will keep his streak alive. If you think he's going to miss a start because of a neck problem, you've been chugging paint thinner. This guy hasn't missed a start since 1994 at Tennessee. Do you know how long ago it was when Manning didn't start for the Colts? Google was two days old. Kim Kardashian was 17. Russell Crowe was skinny! If Manning doesn't start Game 1, I will come to your house and eat things that are stuck in your carpet."

Uh, Rick, why don't you start over in the corner, on that glob of Halloween candy from 2007?

Double Barrel
09-07-2011, 12:22 PM

What matters is getting into the playoffs. With the Rockets, we always got into the playoffs but lost to some combination of Jazz-Sonics-Suns. This Texans team can't even get to the playoffs.

After getting our doors blown off by Peyton Manning 16 out of 18 meetings over the past 9 years...you bet your boots I'll take a Manning-less Colts every day of the week. Tired of seeing that guy twice every season. He needs to get a TV analyst job and brag about how the new Colts can't handle us like he could.

Great post and I agree completely.

There are no asterisks in football unless you're comparing records from a 14 game season to a 16 game season.

Wins are wins, and whatever combination gets us into the playoff is the winning one.

While I do not celebrate any player being injured, I would be lying to say that I have not looked forward to the day when Peyton Manning is proven to be human. And while I don't like to see him go out like this, his retirement is not something that I will regret.

The entire Texans existence has suffered from being in Peyton's division. If we were in the NFC west, we'd have multiple playoff appearances. But we aren't, so I'm just looking out for the best interests of our team, and if that includes wanting all of our division opponents to be weaker, then so be it.

[/cold blooded]

ThaShark316
09-07-2011, 12:25 PM

Points are well taken...but..

Suns???? Jazz? Don't embarrass the city like that. Before Stockton's GW 3, those **** heads couldn't beat us. Suns have always gagged to the Rockets. Sonics, however, different story...right on that.

Vinnie
09-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Probably already a safe assumption but, Raheel just retweeted:

The_RaheelRaheel Ramzanali
RT @DanWeiner: Bill Polian on ESPN Radio in New York said Peyton Manning is officially out for week one.

17 minutes agoFavoriteRetweetReply

disaacks3
09-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Its a two way race now with us and the jags dont take a blind eye to the jags they always play us tough

Anwayz to fhe guy who said he would like to beat fhe colts yeah we can only play the players fhey put on ths field what can we do

I would think getting to fhe playoffs and beating pittsburg new england or fhe chargers would be just has goox imo

That would be crazy if it was hou vs jags in ths playoffs lol Somehow, I no longer think the Jags are quite the threat they were a few days ago. :thisbig:

This is like having an ultra-expensive game computer with all the bells and whistles that burns up its i7 processor............and replacing it with an i3 processor...................................and the Colts don't even have all the bells and whistles to begin with.

http://www.free-registry-cleaner-review.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/sick.jpg

Calling Collins an i3 processor is an insult....to the processor. Collins is more like a 486 SX.

80tothezone
09-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Somehow, I no longer think the Jags are quite the threat they were a few days ago. :thisbig:

Calling Collins an i3 processor is an insult....to the processor. Collins is more like a 486 SX.

Yen but you can't rule collins out he did some good things in Tennessee if I remember correctly... didn't he win like six games when VY went down a couple yrs ago?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Texan_Bill
09-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Yen but you can't rule collins out he did some good things in Tennessee if I remember correctly... didn't he win like six games when VY went down a couple yrs ago?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

In 2008 Collins went 12-3 as the starter, otherwise he was 3-14 during his years with the Tinnbreds.

Lucky
09-07-2011, 10:44 PM
He's the worst coach in the NFL. EASILY. Kubiak is ****ing Lombardi compared to that *****.
Because...?

DocBar
09-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Points are well taken...but..

Suns???? Jazz? Don't embarrass the city like that. Before Stockton's GW 3, those **** heads couldn't beat us. Suns have always gagged to the Rockets. Sonics, however, different story...right on that.Posted like someone who wasn't there to witness it. Malone and Stocton kicked the Rocket's azz more than a few times, and in the playoffs, to boot.

CloakNNNdagger
09-08-2011, 12:04 AM
Colts HC: Are you worried about this game?

Colts DC: I'm scared sh*tl*ss!

Colts HC: That's just great! Why's that?

Colts DC: I don't know how to coach from behind!

Colts HC: You gotta be kidding! Just stop the man with the ball.

Colts DC: Now, why didn't I think of that! You're so smart!

Colts HC: Yea, that's why I'm HC......and you're not!........

GP
09-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Posted like someone who wasn't there to witness it. Malone and Stocton kicked the Rocket's azz more than a few times, and in the playoffs, to boot.

Jazz-Suns-Sonics were the Bermuda Triangle of Misery for me.

We had the talent to beat them every time, but some funky schit would happen. Stockton-Malone would go bonkers in a big game, Sonics 3-pointers and Gary Payton would go off on us, and then there was Kevin Johnson of the Suns. Each team had kryptonite...until along came Sam Cassell.

When you think about it, we had the Big Guy (Hakeem) but little Point Guards (Stockton, Payton, Johnson) ran wild on us and they'd throw their bigger guys at Hakeem and find a way to neutralize him. Once we got our backcourt shaped up with Cassell, Maxwell, Smith, and a 3-point shooting Horry...it was just what we needed to take Hakeem and overcome he Bermuda Triangle of Misery.

Man I'd love to see the '94 Rockets playoff games again. Will never ever forget it. Senior year in high school, I remember I was at my parents' house on the farm...hot summer night, Rockets won the title game...and I ran out into the yard and did a soccer slide and screamed to nothing but the sky. Nobody but my parents and God heard me since nearest neighbor lived 2 miles away. LOL.

Sounds silly that an 18-year-old kid would react that way, but man I took some serious HEAT from my high school classmates for having followed the Rockets all those previous years. It ALMOST overcame Oilers-Bills heat that I took from those same classmates. ALMOST. And of course all those a-holes at school said "Only because Jordan wasn't in the NBA did your precious Rockets win the title." Pffffttt. BFD. A title is a title.

GP
09-08-2011, 12:14 AM
In 2008 Collins went 12-3 as the starter, otherwise he was 3-14 during his years with the Tinnbreds.

Thank you for looking up the numbers.

I was fairly sure he started out well, but started tanking in the past 2-to-3 years.

He's old. And slow. And I don't think he makes it out of the first half of our game. If it's not Antonio Smith, it'll be JJ Watt....or Mario...or Barwin, and on and on and on.

This Texans defense went from zero to 90 mph in a lockout year. I seriously think Collins might get sacked 3 or 4 times in the first half AND possibly get steamrolled at some point.

The key, IMO, will be to limit the quick slants and the little Addai safety-valve dump-offs Collins will be throwing with regularity. You guys remember how McNabb nickel and dimed us the first half of the Texans-Redskins game last year??? They chewed us up on 3-step drops and slants and curls and RB screens. In the second half, they abandoned it.

With Danieal Manning and Jonathan Joseph back there...I don't fear Collins beating us deep. I fear the over-aggressive DL and LBs losing the shallow stuff and guys like Addai and Clark beating us with killer YAC.

TheMatrix31
09-08-2011, 01:01 AM
Don't talk to me about the Suns, GP! You bitches beat us two years in a row, including coming back down 3-1. Argh. Nightmares of that shit. I hate Mario Elie.

GP
09-08-2011, 01:26 AM
Don't talk to me about the Suns, GP! You bitches beat us two years in a row, including coming back down 3-1. Argh. Nightmares of that shit. I hate Mario Elie.

Oh man, when Barkley was with the Suns...it was like watching a full-on street fight between the Suns and Rockets. It was mayhem.

Out of the Jazz, Sonics, and Suns, I can remember DEEPLY hating the Sonics and the Jazz. I didn't have hate for the Suns, it was more of a respect like what we sometimes have for the Colts. The Sonics and the Jazz were like Jaguars and Titans to me. Ugggh.

House of Pain
09-08-2011, 01:29 AM
Posted like someone who wasn't there to witness it. Malone and Stocton kicked the Rocket's azz more than a few times, and in the playoffs, to boot.

I'll always remember the looks on those c************* (Hornacek, Malone, and Stockton) faces when they finally beat us in the playoffs on a last second shot. That pick-and-roll they used to run is still a felony in 28 countries.

GP
09-08-2011, 01:33 AM
I'll always remember the looks on those c************* (Hornacek, Malone, and Stockton) faces when they finally beat us in the playoffs on a last second shot. That pick-and-roll they used to run is still a felony in 28 countries.

OMG, I forgot about Hornacek. Could NOT stand that guy.

It's like Pete Carroll and Jerry Seinfeld had a kid together. They had another big guy on their team I couldn't stand, either. Easily my least favorite rival to watch us play.

Karl Malone is Douche City, IMO. Ditto on Hornacek. Stockton was a Robot, no emotion and pain tolerance that dwarfs Chuck Norris. Always respected that guy, and still do.

CloakNNNdagger
09-09-2011, 08:36 AM
It is probably, indeed, true that Manning HAS been the Colts for the most part. But can you imagine, with all the media and fan commentary to that effect, how demoralizing and, in so many terms, how belittling this has got to be to hear for many of the hard-working players that have contributed over the years to this team's success?

Seńor Stan
09-09-2011, 08:52 AM
OMG, I forgot about Hornacek. Could NOT stand that guy.

It's like Pete Carroll and Jerry Seinfeld had a kid together. They had another big guy on their team I couldn't stand, either. Easily my least favorite rival to watch us play.

Karl Malone is Douche City, IMO. Ditto on Hornacek. Stockton was a Robot, no emotion and pain tolerance that dwarfs Chuck Norris. Always respected that guy, and still do.

On a totally unrelated note...was out running yesterday and saw a dude wearing a pair of "jorts" that would have made John Stockton blush. Unfortunately, there are certain things you can't un-see.

El Tejano
09-09-2011, 08:59 AM
It is probably, indeed, true that Manning HAS been the Colts for the most part. But can you imagine, with all the media and fan commentary to that effect, how demoralizing and, in so many terms, how belittling this has got to be to hear for many of the hard-working players that have contributed over the years to this team's success?

Saturday was on NFL Network saying they now have a chip on their shoulder for the exact same reason. We still gotta cover Reggie Wayne man, this aint going to be an easy game.

El Tejano
09-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Here's my take on why we need to be ready for a good game. Anyone remember our 1st game in 2003? Miami was heavily favored, set to be a serious Super Bowl Contender, had All Pros everywhere (Ricky Williams, Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas etc...) along with like a 19-0 home opener win streak. There was no way in the world that the no offensive line, no offense, sorry 4-12 previous season, weak defense Texans were going to beat that Goliath of a team on the road!!!!

Then the snow ball iced over hell, and you see Andre Johnson holding up his hands in victory at the end of the game.

Any Given Sunday!!! Hopefully our Given Sunday starts this Sunday with a string of victories because we have a well focused and prepared team.

GP
09-09-2011, 11:45 AM

On NFLN today, it's nothing but a tribute to Peyton Manning. Top 10 Peyton Manning Plays show, I kid you not.

Last night, Bob Costas uses halftime to make a speech about Peyton Manning while images and clips of Peyton fill the TV screen.

It's as if the guy died or something. The Colts are mere mortals now.

El Tejano
09-09-2011, 12:50 PM
On NFLN today, it's nothing but a tribute to Peyton Manning. Top 10 Peyton Manning Plays show, I kid you not.

Last night, Bob Costas uses halftime to make a speech about Peyton Manning while images and clips of Peyton fill the TV screen.

It's as if the guy died or something. The Colts are mere mortals now.

^^^ All this is why my brother said he doesn't feel sorry for the Colts.

Thorn
09-09-2011, 01:04 PM
I'll bet if they offered up a 30 minute special on Schaub we'd all be watching like a hawk and laughing at the haters. Dolt fans are no different.

GP
09-09-2011, 04:30 PM
I'll bet if they offered up a 30 minute special on Schaub we'd all be watching like a hawk and laughing at the haters. Dolt fans are no different.

We'd be watching because it would be the first time to have happened.

How many times have we seen glorified images of Manning and the Colts when you see commercials for the NFL, NFLN, playoff commercials, SundayTicket commercials, Sports Illustrated commercials, and on and on....

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are the two guys we see on TV all the time. They are marketing magnets for companies.

I'm not saying they don't deserve it. I'm just saying that we're saturated with Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Favre was another one.

Peyton Manning will be THE story all year long. Every week, the talking heads on TV will be discussing his absence and how the Colts are doing without him. It will be a season-long ordeal. Longest "Goodbye" in any sport of any era. Bank on it.

TexansFanatic
09-10-2011, 01:09 AM
I'm I'm not mistaken, Peyton signed his monster extension AFTER his neck surgery. Even if he signed it before the surgery, the Colts front office had to know how serious Manning's injury and surgery were.

What I'm getting at is that I'm a little bit surprised the Irsay family was so willing to part with $26 million (the amount I'm hearing Peyton will walk away with if he never plays another down).

The Irsays historically have been just as offensively cheap as Bud Adams----even with players many considered part of the family.

CloakNNNdagger
09-10-2011, 09:47 AM
I'm I'm not mistaken, Peyton signed his monster extension AFTER his neck surgery. Even if he signed it before the surgery, the Colts front office had to know how serious Manning's injury and surgery were.

What I'm getting at is that I'm a little bit surprised the Irsay family was so willing to part with $26 million (the amount I'm hearing Peyton will walk away with if he never plays another down).

The Irsays historically have been just as offensively cheap as Bud Adams----even with players many considered part of the family.

As the football-following world processes the news that Colts quarterback Peyton Manning will miss considerable time after undergoing spinal surgery on Thursday, only one thing is clear.

Peyton Manning will get paid a ton of money, even if he doesn’t take a single snap this year.

Per a league source, that new five-year, $90 million contract was given to Manning without the quarterback having to pass a physical. In other words, he got $20 million to sign, and the Colts didn’t insist on obtaining medical clearance that he can play before giving it to him. (He eventually passed a physical before being cleared to practice last week — before suffering the setback that caused the latest procedure.)

With the Colts choosing to keep Manning on the active roster, he’ll also pocket his $3.4 million base salary for the new season, along with a $3 million roster bonus tied to Manning being on the 53-man roster for any one game in 2011.

The next question, if Manning can’t play in 2011, becomes whether the Colts would pay him a $28 million option bonus, which is due early in the next league year. The Colts can avoid the payment only by cutting or trading Manning, and it would be shocking — actually, beyond shocking — if the team would sever ties with one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time.

So why did the Colts sign Manning to this deal in the first place? Peter King of NBC and Sports Illustrated explained during the debut of NBC SportsTalk that the Colts had no concerns about the most recent surgery at the time it was conducted in May 2011, and that team Vice Chairman Bill Polian said on the day of the prior procedure that it would not impact the contract talks.

If the Colts knew then what they know now, it’s hard not to believe that they would have at most kept Manning under the franchise tag in 2011, waiting until 2012 to sign him to a long-term contract.

Somewhat McNairesque in that there seemed to be an element of overly naive trust (Cushing/"Overtrained Syndrome) or just plain wishful thinking, that putting the money down would have influence on a higher power to return the "reward.":kitten:

CloakNNNdagger
09-10-2011, 09:54 AM
From Houstontexans.com:

“I believe on the stat sheet, they still count it as a sack whether it’s Kerry Collins or Peyton Manning. I’m just excited about the opportunity to play in the NFL and to go out there and try and get after somebody.”
- Rookie DE J.J. Watt, on if it takes anything away from Week 1 knowing that Colts QB Peyton Manning won’t be playing

HJam72
09-10-2011, 10:46 AM
We'd be watching because it would be the first time to have happened.

How many times have we seen glorified images of Manning and the Colts when you see commercials for the NFL, NFLN, playoff commercials, SundayTicket commercials, Sports Illustrated commercials, and on and on....

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are the two guys we see on TV all the time. They are marketing magnets for companies.

I'm not saying they don't deserve it. I'm just saying that we're saturated with Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Favre was another one.

Peyton Manning will be THE story all year long. Every week, the talking heads on TV will be discussing his absence and how the Colts are doing without him. It will be a season-long ordeal. Longest "Goodbye" in any sport of any era. Bank on it.

Good, because they won't be very good, LOL.

Big Lou
09-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Hoping the mods change this title from "Colts bring Kerry Collins out of retirement", to "Mario sends Kerry Collins in to retirement"

J/K, I don't wish any physical harm on Vodka Collins, just would like to see Mario on top of him all day tomorrow in a strictly plutonic way of course.

kingh99
09-10-2011, 07:55 PM
http://ecdn0.hark.com/images/000/017/663/17663/original.0
Anytime we are going up against this guy, I worry.

Kimmy
09-27-2011, 11:22 PM
link here (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d822a0142/article/colts-opt-for-orlovsky-over-croyle-after-workout-of-qbs?module=HP11_headline_stack)

The Indianapolis Colts have agreed to terms with free-agent quarterback Dan Orlovsky, according to a league source.

With starting quarterback Kerry Collins battling concussion-like symptoms following Sunday night's 23-20 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Colts auditioned Orlovsky and ex-Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Brodie Croyle on Tuesday, the Indianapolis Star reported.

While neither signal-caller boasts an impressive resume, Orlovsky had the inside edge on the basis of a few weeks spent in the Colts' system during the preseason. Orlovsky was among the Colts' final cuts when they trimmed their roster down to 53, but now he might be in the mix for the starting spot in Week 4.

There's no telling if coach Jim Caldwell believes Collins is the man for the job anymore -- concussion or no concussion -- and Curtis Painter was uneven during the second half against the Steelers, completing 5 of 11 passes for 60 yards.

Orlovsky has thrown for 1,679 yards and eight touchdowns to eight interceptions in 13 career games.