PDA

View Full Version : Bill Belichick wants the extra point to die

Wolf
08-24-2011, 05:17 AM
This is my favorite thing to come out of the conversation about the new kickoff rules. Bill Belichick used a kickoff question to move the conversation toward the extra point, and argued that it should be eliminated from the game, or at least greatly modified.

"Philosophically, plays that are non-plays shouldn't be in the game. I don't think it is good for the game. Extra points, when the odds are 99 percent range in extra points it is not a play. Let's move the ball back to the 15-20 yard line and not make it a tap in. Let them kick it. Same thing with the kickoff return, if you're just going to put the ball on the 20, put the ball on the 20."

(Applause.)

Given my druthers, I'd eliminate it completely -- I don't think you'd see a lot of kicks missed from the 15 or 20, either. It saves time, it speeds the game along, and the guy in the end-zone seats with the John 3:16 sign doesn't get time to prepare for his close-up.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Bill-Belichick-wants-the-extra-point-to-die?urn=nfl-wp5693

fiasco west
08-24-2011, 06:41 AM
Can't say I agree but I do get where he's coming from.

Yeah the Extra point is pretty much a sure thing...but when it is blocked it usually is a exciting thing. There really is no reason to take it out, it's not even a dangerous play or a lengthy one.

As for the new kickoff rule, that's another topic and they shouldn't have messed with it. At one point the NFL is going to have to realize that this is a violent sport and people are going to get hurt. When they start changing traditional rules that change the game (the kickoff rule) then I think we've reached that point. What's next, can only two hand touch the WRs? Thus getting rid of all the big hits that defenders plan to put on them once they catch the ball.

TimeKiller
08-24-2011, 08:12 AM
He's right. Move it back to where MOST PEOPLE can't just kick it through the upright or do away with it completely.

As for the kickoffs, I don't think that will ever be removed, it's necessary. I do think that at some point, the players are going to have to make a stand and say, "this is what we signed up for" and let them participate in some violent collisions. People sign up for all kinds of crazy shit, sky diving, braces, war, mma cage fights, tattoos come on.....

HJam72
08-24-2011, 08:14 AM
I agree with Bellicheat.

This time. :tiphat:

Joe Texan
08-24-2011, 11:13 AM
once a cheater always a cheater

Blake
08-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Extra point is a waste of time. I like the idea of making it a real play. Move them out to the 10 and force a 2 point conversion.

BigBull17
08-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Can't say I agree but I do get where he's coming from.

Yeah the Extra point is pretty much a sure thing...but when it is blocked it usually is a exciting thing. There really is no reason to take it out, it's not even a dangerous play or a lengthy one.

As for the new kickoff rule, that's another topic and they shouldn't have messed with it. At one point the NFL is going to have to realize that this is a violent sport and people are going to get hurt. When they start changing traditional rules that change the game (the kickoff rule) then I think we've reached that point. What's next, can only two hand touch the WRs? Thus getting rid of all the big hits that defenders plan to put on them once they catch the ball.

Right now, there are still collisions on kick offs, but they are basically pointless collisions. Guys still run down and get hit, only to have the return man take a knee.

Double Barrel
08-24-2011, 11:28 AM
once a cheater always a cheater

Why bring Cushing into this? :fingergun:

gwallaia
08-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Extra point is a waste of time. I like the idea of making it a real play. Move them out to the 10 and force a 2 point conversion.

Or make the kicker hit either one of the uprights for the point. Its easy as hell to kick in that big open space in between. Make them hit the 8" wide upright, that would take some skill.

Speedy
08-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Have the goal post spin. Then the kicker has to time it right to get it through.

Or pull a net up along the uprights with a box painted on it and the kicker has to hit that box.

Or, all extra point kicks have to be drop kicked.

disaacks3
08-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Disagree with Belicheat here...I was very much in favor of bringing back the 2-point conversion years ago and I see no reason to eliminate it now.

This all seems like knee-jeck overreaction to the kickoffs being moved up (which won't last).

Yankee_In_TX
08-24-2011, 12:06 PM
but when it is blocked it usually is a exciting thing. There really is no reason to take it out, it's not even a dangerous play or a lengthy one.

/thread

TheCD
08-24-2011, 02:07 PM

I've never found it exciting, personally. When they miss I just chuckle and say "wow...really?" and that's about it.

Now I think it would be more exciting if they allowed the blocking team to score a point on a return of an attempt, and still get the ball at kickoff. I think that would heighten the exitement and provide incentive towards blocking the kids rather than watching the typical lineman stand up after the snap and turn around to see if it was good.

Nawzer
08-24-2011, 02:44 PM
I've always been against the extra point and I agree with Belichick. The extra point to me is a pointless exercise. They need to do away with it completely or figure out a way to make it more of a real play instead of an automatic chip shot.

Thorn
08-24-2011, 04:44 PM

Actually, I kind of like this. It's more exciting than a stupid 10 yd kick, and it's most certainly not automatic.

GP
08-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Oh wow. This is exactly what I have been advocating the past year.

In my NFL world, there is NO field goal kicker. Just a punter.

Start each possession on the 20, or move it forwards or backwards if there was a personal foul on scoring team or defending team during the TD play, respectively.

No extra points. No field goals. Frees up a roster spot, too!

2-point conversions after every TD.

This would stop games from being won on the leg of a guy (the kicker) who actually plays no other real role on the team.

Especially with taking away wedge formation kickoff blocking, and the newest rule of putting the ball forward 5 yards, there's just no use for kickoffs. Waste of time. Makes the game less interesting because it's impossible to make a decent return on kickoffs now. Just axe it altogether.

Double Barrel
08-24-2011, 05:43 PM
They will never get rid of kickers for two reasons: 1) the game is called football, and 2) this is an aspect of the game that goes back to it's rugby origins.

BetaV1
08-24-2011, 09:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTGco82JKHo

sakebomb
08-25-2011, 06:23 AM

2 pt conversion from the 10? That seems dangerous. :kitten:

sakebomb
08-25-2011, 06:25 AM
I'm thinking one point conversion from the five yard line or a two point conversion from the 10.

Blake
08-25-2011, 07:14 AM

Actually, I kind of like this. It's more exciting than a stupid 10 yd kick, and it's most certainly not automatic.

I'm thinking one point conversion from the five yard line or a two point conversion from the 10.

I think we are on to something here fellas! Yall got Roger Goodell's digits?

Lets tweak this just a bit more. If we want a more automatic 1 point conversion that is an actual play, put them on the 1 and run a play. Want a 2 point conversion? Run a play from 5 yards out. Alot could still go wrong with a 1 yard play. Bad snap. False start. Definitely not 100% automatic. But less automatic than a kicker kicking a PAT.

1 point: 1 yard out. Run a play.
2 points: 5 yards out. Run a play.

Malloy
08-25-2011, 07:49 AM
I think we are on to something here fellas! Yall got Roger Goodell's digits?

Lets tweak this just a bit more. If we want a more automatic 1 point conversion that is an actual play, put them on the 1 and run a play. Want a 2 point conversion? Run a play from 5 yards out. Alot could still go wrong with a 1 yard play. Bad snap. False start. Definitely not 100% automatic. But less automatic than a kicker kicking a PAT.

1 point: 1 yard out. Run a play.
2 points: 5 yards out. Run a play.

I like this idea, I would still keep field goals though!

BigBull17
08-25-2011, 08:12 AM
Paper, rock, scissors. Or, red rover. O vs D baby.

Speedy
08-25-2011, 01:12 PM
You don't need to put the ball on the 5 for a 2 point play. It's hard enough from the 2. From 2000-2009 a 46.3% success rate on 2 pointers.

In my first post I was half joking about the drop kick, but the more I think about it, if you want a 1 point conversion that isn't so automatic, a drop kick just might be it.

Hervoyel
08-25-2011, 02:25 PM
You don't need to put the ball on the 5 for a 2 point play. It's hard enough from the 2. From 2000-2009 a 46.3% success rate on 2 pointers.

In my first post I was half joking about the drop kick, but the more I think about it, if you want a 1 point conversion that isn't so automatic, a drop kick just might be it.

I don't like change so I'm against taking the extra point (or points) out of the game.

Having said that I wouldn't mind a modification of sorts. See, an extra point kick gets you one point. A two-point conversion obviously gets you two points. I'd like to see the two point conversion get a "modifier".

Say you're behind by 3 points after scoring a TD (6 points). 1 or 2 points isn't going to help here BUT I'd like to see a team be given the chance to go for a "three point conversion".

Instead of trying to punch it in for 2 points the offense takes it back to the 10 yard line. Then if they can punch it in they get the chance to try to kick for the 3rd point (again from the 10 yard line).

That would make for some interesting situations.

Also field goals need to be taken completely out of overtime. Overtime should be decided by a touchdown.

Maybe I'm not as against change as I think.

gtexan02
08-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Leave the extra point in the game.
Give teams the options to attempt it or not attempt it.
If you choose to attempt and miss, you lose the points from the touchdown.

Players would certainly try a lot harder

Blake
08-25-2011, 02:27 PM

The point is to discourage 2 point attempts. In your scenario you get 1 from the 1 and 2 from the 2. Who would ever pick the 1? They would almost always pick the 2 points since its only 1 more yard.

Doppelganger
08-25-2011, 02:38 PM

I'll take it a step further. Making kicking actually matter. Rather than a simple EPA, make the coach decide how far he wants to kick it. If its a 30yd EPA and its successful you get 3 points, if its 40 yards, 4, and 50+yds=5 points.

It will bring an element of strategy into the game that is now lacking.

Do the same thing for Fgs.

gtexan02
08-25-2011, 03:04 PM
I'll take it a step further. Making kicking actually matter. Rather than a simple EPA, make the coach decide how far he wants to kick it. If its a 30yd EPA and its successful you get 3 points, if its 40 yards, 4, and 50+yds=5 points.

It will bring an element of strategy into the game that is now lacking.

Do the same thing for Fgs.

So you score a touchdown and kick a 50 yarder and you get 11 points?
"If it 'aint broke, don't fix it"

Speedy
08-25-2011, 03:31 PM
The point is to discourage 2 point attempts. In your scenario you get 1 from the 1 and 2 from the 2. Who would ever pick the 1? They would almost always pick the 2 points since its only 1 more yard.

Well that would really depend on how much more above a 46.3% success rate on 2 pointers a drop kick would be. I'm sure kickers would get that down and be pretty successful but not at a 99% clip like they are now with PATs. I could see 80-85% maybe. I really have no idea. I've seen one drop kick in my life (Doug Flutie).

And the ball is placed on the 2 yard line whether you're kicking or going for 2. I don't know where you're getting 1 from the 1 at. As it is now, you can go for 1 point at the 2 or 2 points at the 2. Same yardage yet the one pointer is taken almost all the time. So your statement doesn't make sense.

Corrosion
08-25-2011, 10:59 PM
He's right. Move it back to where MOST PEOPLE can't just kick it through the upright or do away with it completely.

As for the kickoffs, I don't think that will ever be removed, it's necessary. I do think that at some point, the players are going to have to make a stand and say, "this is what we signed up for" and let them participate in some violent collisions. People sign up for all kinds of crazy shit, sky diving, braces, war, mma cage fights, tattoos come on.....

Why on earth would the players do that ? The star players dont even take part in those plays for the most part .... and those that do are for the most part depth. Why put yourself in a position to get injured and or shorten your career ?

They may as well hand out flags and let the girls play with the boys .... Thats what the NFL is coming to with all these puh-cee safety rules.