PDA

View Full Version : Draft bust Vernon Gholston believes that Rex Ryan never gave him a chance

Wolf
08-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Selected sixth overall in the 2008 NFL draft out of Ohio State in the Jets' pre-Ryan administration, Gholston has been one of the biggest draft busts in recent NFL history; he has never recorded a sack in his NFL career, he has just five starts in three seasons, and according to Football Outsiders' metrics, he was involved in just nine total defensive plays last season. That's not per-snap participation, mind you that's the number of plays in 2010 in which Gholston actually made any sort of impact. Nine.

Add in the fact that Gholston was inactive for all three of the Jets' postseason games in the 2010 season, and it was not a surprise that the Jets released him in early March. Gholston signed with the Bears in late July.

And according to Gholston, that series of moves was more about Ryan failing to see his talent than anything else.

Saying that his departure from the Jets was a "needed move," Gholston sounded quite entitled when discussing his status under Ryan. "Being a first-round pick, you would have hoped for more [of a chance]," he said. "Rex made a comment to me when he first came in that he thought I wasn't liked by the guys on the team, then once he got there he saw that wasn't the case. Those perceptions kind of determine the outcome, and it's sad to say.

"Teams are always looking for talent, and to say I don't have talent is a far stretch," he continued. "It's all about getting a fair shot and time in the system. With the Jets, it was constant position change and coaching change. There was no stability. I never really had that with the Jets."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Draft-bust-Vernon-Gholston-believes-that-Rex-Rya?urn=nfl-wp5651

Playoffs
08-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Prove it.

bah007
08-24-2011, 12:22 AM
Dude was the #6 overall pick. I'm pretty sure they gave him every opportunity possible.

TimeKiller
08-24-2011, 08:16 AM
Dude is a physical monster, no question about it. Sad that one of the world's best defensive minds couldn't turn a monster into a football player. Even sadder that he thinks he didn't get a chance.....frankly, a dude that big ought to be rag dolling people consistently.

Playoffs
08-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Prove it.

Bears give up on Gholston

Posted by Mike Florio on August 29, 2011, 1:21 PM EDT

Getty Images
Defensive end Vernon Gholston, the sixth overall pick in the 2008 draft, got three years to prove himself in New York. He failed.

Gholston got roughly three weeks to prove himself in Chicago.

He failed.

The Bears have announced that Gholston has been waived. If/when he clears waivers, he’ll become a free agent.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/29/bears-give-up-on-gholston/

TimeKiller
08-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Daaaaaang pick him up for cheap!!!!!! hahaha......

Am I kidding?

Playoffs
08-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Going back through the drafts, it's amazing to me how many first round D-linemen just disappear. (Not just for Texans.)

Must be the hardest position to handicap for the NFL.

The Pencil Neck
08-29-2011, 04:20 PM
I don't know. On Hard Knocks, it really looked like Rex was pulling for the kid to step up and like he thought the kid just needed a chance.

Didn't work out that way.

thunderkyss
08-29-2011, 05:34 PM
What did you expect?

How can you outshine this guy?
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/Thunderkyss/Amobi.jpg

Wolf
08-29-2011, 05:38 PM
I don't know. On Hard Knocks, it really looked like Rex was pulling for the kid to step up and like he thought the kid just needed a chance.

Didn't work out that way.

I was thinking (at the time of original posting) that Rex seems like the type that wouldn't play favorites, if you can play HE will play you.

fiasco west
08-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Looks like the Bears didn't give him a chance either. Gholston was given more chances than most to succeed.

Two really good defensive staffs has passed this guy over, so that's not good news for him.

BigBull17
09-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Young man needs to lose the entitlement. Life aint fair, earn something.