PDA

View Full Version : Does Wade's 3-4 work better with veterans?

sandman
08-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Noticed that even with an expanded roster right now, the bulk of the 'veterans' on the team are offense. Discounting our AARP kicker and punter, the older players on this team are at the 7-9 year mark. OG, WR, RB and QB except for Shaun Cody.

Only six defensive players have been in the league for 5 years. Considering that we didn't sign any free agent that has been in Wade's defense for his career, does the youthfulness of our defense hurt or help their transformation?

Part of me says hurt, because most of these players were not drafted to play in his system and there are not enough defensive veterans to show them how it is done.

Part of me says help, because Wade didn't inherit a group of players that have got settled into their careers at this point.

If this defense struggles more than expected out of the gate, I think that the youthfulness without the veteran (of the Wade 3-4 system) leadership is going to play a big part.

TimeKiller
08-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Well luckily they do keep getting older all the time so eventually we'll have an old, veteran filled defense!

sandman
08-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Well luckily they do keep getting older all the time so eventually we'll have an old, veteran filled defense!

True, but clearly the expectation is that fans are not going to wait years for this defense to develop. It has to come together this year. Not saying it is realistic, but this is the tone that I seem to be hearing.

badboy
08-23-2011, 10:22 PM
I think his defense works better with players that have skills to play that type defense.