PDA

View Full Version : Tebow a 4th stringer??

drs23
08-23-2011, 04:22 PM
Tebow's gettin a run from UDFA QB from MN. Doesn't sound like the powers that be, namely the two John's as in Fox and Elway, are impressed at all with him.

Link here (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Aoa3DxISi7oDEHLeYyPuN1tDubYF?slug=ms-silver_denver_broncos_quarterbacks_082311)

TexanSam
08-23-2011, 05:20 PM
I bet they ask him to switch positions at some point in the future. Maybe not this year, but it seems pretty clear that he's not an NFL quarterback.

brakos82
08-23-2011, 05:23 PM
I bet they ask him to switch positions at some point in the future. Maybe not this year, but it seems pretty clear that he's not an NFL quarterback.

He'd fit in Miami... they never have normal QBs since Marino.

Trap_Star
08-23-2011, 05:23 PM
He sucks and people need to accept it...being nice will only take so far at the NFL level.

Honoring Earl 34
08-23-2011, 05:32 PM
That was one heck of a pick .

Dutchrudder
08-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Josh McDaniels' epic fail continues to haunt the organization a year after he left it. lolz...

devo-x
08-23-2011, 06:12 PM
He was impressive in the Texans game last year against our defense :tiphat:

Norg
08-23-2011, 06:39 PM
O know who going to throw to David anderson :P

brakos82
08-23-2011, 06:43 PM
O know who going to throw to David anderson :P

usually I can half-way understand what you say.

this isn't one of those times.

dc_txtech
08-23-2011, 06:50 PM
usually I can half-way understand what you say.

this isn't one of those times.

After several reads I believe he meant

Oh no! Who is going to throw the ball to David Anderson?

After a few more reads, possibly.

Oh! Now who is going to throw the ball to David Anderson?

TexanSam
08-23-2011, 06:51 PM
He was impressive in the Texans game last year against our defense :tiphat:

:toropalm:

XI CMURDER IX
08-23-2011, 10:47 PM
I would actually like Tebow here. Before you go ahead and rip me on this one, just read what I have to say.

Everyone knows that Kubiak is a quarterback genius, and if Tebow has the time to develop in a system that is favorable for him then he could become a good starter. He is a mobile quarterback, but in the NFL everyone can run and everyone can hit. With that being said, he would be very effective on QB boots and in the redzone.

With some time behind Schaub and in the offense, he could become a valuable piece at some point. He also has a very good arm, strength wise of course. It would be nice to have a quarterback that could hit receivers on the deep routes off a boot.

All in all, I could see him being a good fit here. However, he would have to improve drastically in the passing game in terms of accuracy. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Rey
08-23-2011, 11:07 PM
No way would tebow take a roster spot on this team if it was my choice. He's more of a project than Yates.

brakos82
08-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Actually send him home to JAX or Tampa. :kitten:

bah007
08-24-2011, 12:24 AM
Why don't they just stop this charade and move him to TE?

That's the only place he will be successful in this league.

I'm cheering for him to succeed because he seems like an honest kid with a good heart. But let's be real, he is not a NFL QB.

brakos82
08-24-2011, 12:27 AM
flolridajesus

Trap_Star
08-24-2011, 12:27 AM
he might as well retire now and get a head start on his political career in florida.

brakos82
08-24-2011, 12:32 AM
Just send him some Hot Pockets and turn him into a NT.

welsh texan
08-24-2011, 01:33 AM
After several reads I believe he meant

Oh no! Who is going to throw the ball to David Anderson?

After a few more reads, possibly.

Oh! Now who is going to throw the ball to David Anderson?

Or perhaps;

I know who will throw the ball to David Anderson! :p

Because Norg is really Mike McCoy and is flaunting his insider knowledge.

It's just a hunch.

brakos82
08-24-2011, 01:35 AM
Or perhaps;

I know who will throw the ball to David Anderson! :p

Because Norg is really Mike McCoy and is flaunting his insider knowledge.

It's just a hunch.

oooooooooooh.....

MightyTExan
08-24-2011, 07:03 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDqjDDnoQTuwOGJ6y6Zcjl9HTZmUmy2 bDXs2NZdk-vxX9cejXP

chicagotexan2
08-24-2011, 07:49 AM
He is our Kareen Jackson. At least tebow could possibly make a switch.

TimeKiller
08-24-2011, 08:03 AM
Running back.

Look, my lady is from Gainesville. Their love for this guy runs deeeeeeeep in that town. They think he's gonna be a HOF Qb. College HOF, maybe......dude is a joke on the pro level.

BUT........he can run. He can truck dudes. He could save his career.

mootini
08-24-2011, 12:39 PM
And everyone ragged the Jags for not taking him! Seems Tyson Alualu was a much better pick :cool:

Dutchrudder
08-24-2011, 01:04 PM
And everyone ragged the Jags for not taking him! Seems Tyson Alualu was a much better pick :cool:

A 1st round pick that would fill up your stadium every week? Yes he would still have been worth it, but the Jags should try to get him for a late pick or something. Everyone knows a massive amount of Gator fans will show up to the games if Tebow goes to Jax, so why not sign him and uncover the thousands of seats? Saving the franchise is more important than a single first round pick, or as a fan I would be willing to sacrifice a 1st to keep the Texans in Houston.

chicagotexan2
08-24-2011, 01:04 PM

Houston (most of Houston) knows all too well about not taking a player just because he was great in college and grew up in the area. That may sell tickets, but it doesn't mean you got a winner.

cough
:vincepalm:
cough
cough

BIG TORO
08-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Houston (most of Houston) knows all too well about not taking a player just because he was great in college and grew up in the area. That may sell tickets, but it doesn't mean you got a winner.

cough
cough
cough

You talking about :hobie:!? :lol:

Dread-Head
08-24-2011, 01:19 PM
The boy DID shoot off his mouth alot during the off season...I'm just sayin'.

Dutchrudder
08-24-2011, 01:27 PM

cough
cough
cough

I really wouldn't have had a problem with the Texans taking VY, even in retrospect. You had Carr as the QB, and we all knew he wasn't going to be there much longer, so it only makes sense to take the best QB prospect. The best thing VY would have done is converted half of Texas into Texans fans, which would have done wonders for our national notoriety and media interest. I'm not saying it would have been a good pick for our football team on the field, but there is a convincing argument to be made for increasing the Texans' fanbase.

chicagotexan2
08-24-2011, 01:52 PM
I really wouldn't have had a problem with the Texans taking VY, even in retrospect. You had Carr as the QB, and we all knew he wasn't going to be there much longer, so it only makes sense to take the best QB prospect. The best thing VY would have done is converted half of Texas into Texans fans, which would have done wonders for our national notoriety and media interest. I'm not saying it would have been a good pick for our football team on the field, but there is a convincing argument to be made for increasing the Texans' fanbase.

But he was not the best QB prospect.

Bud Adams got all Al Davis and made the teets gm draft him for all the reasons you say The Texans should have taken him. It may have bumped up the popularity for a while, but I doubt anyone in that organization would say it worked out well.

Dutchrudder
08-24-2011, 02:42 PM
But he was not the best QB prospect.

Bud Adams got all Al Davis and made the teets gm draft him for all the reasons you say The Texans should have taken him. It may have bumped up the popularity for a while, but I doubt anyone in that organization would say it worked out well.

I really doubt VY would be where he is now if he had Kubiak teaching him how to be a QB and designing an offense around him. Jeff Fisher is one of the most overrated coaches in the NFL and in 16 years of coaching he doesn't have much to show for it. I don't think Fisher did anything to help VY develop beyond putting a good defense on the field for a couple years.

chicagotexan2
08-24-2011, 03:12 PM
I really doubt VY would be where he is now if he had Kubiak teaching him how to be a QB and designing an offense around him. Jeff Fisher is one of the most overrated coaches in the NFL and in 16 years of coaching he doesn't have much to show for it. I don't think Fisher did anything to help VY develop beyond putting a good defense on the field for a couple years.

Well we'll just disagree. I think Fisher is a good coach. Although he is not offensive minded he did well with Collins and McNair. From all accounts he didn't put himself into learning his craft the way other QB's should. VY wilted in the pros. I'm not saying it's all VYs fault I just think he shoulders alot of the responsibility for falling out of favor with his team.

Tebow is a diffrent story. I think he does all he can to be a good QB, but he simply is not a good QB and I don't think he will be.

Double Barrel
08-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Josh McDaniels' epic fail continues to haunt the organization a year after he left it. lolz...

No doubt. He's their version of our Charlie Casserly! His 'legacy' will take a couple of years to flush before they are finally rid of it.

I think VY would have struggled with this offense over the long haul due to the amount of reads it requires, the timing of passing patterns, and the amount of film study that Kubiak would have required of him.

That being said, I think VY's raw talent would have won more games in those first three seasons and potentially even gotten us to the playoffs as a result. Dude has the playmaker potential, as we saw first hand.

I'm not a VY-fanboy, so this is just my honest assessment.

Blake
08-24-2011, 03:34 PM
http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/jesus-christ-claims-tim-tebow-not-ready-to-be-nfl,21167/

Jesus Christ Claims Tim Tebow Not Ready To Be NFL Starter

DENVER—Jesus Christ, noted Son of God and football analyst proclaimed Monday that second-year Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow lacks the pocket presence, arm strength, and passing accuracy necessary to be a starter in the NFL. “Tim’s place is at the right hand of the other backups on the bench, and his earthly works show that he deserves to dwell there all the days of his life,” said Lord and Savior of all mankind, adding, ““It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of the needle than for Tim Tebow to complete a pass against the Cover-2”. “For Tebow must have faith in coach Fox’s plan, and pay his dues by wearing the headset, and by calling in plays from the clipboard while watching from the sidelines.” Christ also asked Tebow to stop praying to Him and asking to be made the number one quarterback in the depth chart, claiming “that’s never going to ****ing happen.”

TimeKiller
08-24-2011, 03:36 PM
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1754899&postcount=14

This is what would've happened if the Texans drafted VY...

nero THE zero
08-24-2011, 03:50 PM
I think VY would have struggled with this offense over the long haul due to the amount of reads it requires, the timing of passing patterns, and the amount of film study that Kubiak would have required of him.

That being said, I think VY's raw talent would have won more games in those first three seasons and potentially even gotten us to the playoffs as a result. Dude has the playmaker potential, as we saw first hand.

Let's not dismiss the affect being close to home would have had on him off the field. He would have been closer to family and thus had exponentially more distractions.

I don't see any way he would have been better off here in Houston.

Double Barrel
08-24-2011, 05:16 PM
Let's not dismiss the affect being close to home would have had on him off the field. He would have been closer to family and thus had exponentially more distractions.

I don't see any way he would have been better off here in Houston.

yeah, really good point. Dude has shown his inability to avoid off-field distractions, so you are probably right that it would have impacted his game.

The1ApplePie
08-24-2011, 05:27 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDqjDDnoQTuwOGJ6y6Zcjl9HTZmUmy2 bDXs2NZdk-vxX9cejXP

The JaMarcus Russell of head coaches

At least Petrino had the sense to quit 3-4ths of the way through his first season

TexansSeminole
08-24-2011, 05:50 PM
I tried to tell people before that draft that Tim Tebow wasn't even CLOSE to being close to ready. He was so far behind. That Florida offense did not prepare him at all for the NFL.

So many people disagreed with my take on the situation. I think only 2 or 3 others agreed with me, bah being one of them. I need to find that thread.

As bah said, move that man to TE. Try him out there. I really do think he could play that position very well with some time to acclimate to it.

Doppelganger
08-24-2011, 06:24 PM
Just send him some Hot Pockets and turn him into a NT.

Sir, do you own stock in Hot Pockets?! I think this is the second time today you mentioned someone should eat Hot Pockets and get turned into a NT. I think the prior was Mario?

Rey
08-24-2011, 06:35 PM
No doubt. He's their version of our Charlie Casserly! His 'legacy' will take a couple of years to flush before they are finally rid of it.

I agree, but I do think that he would have been better than what he has been.

Especially with the bootlegs and rollouts we do...He would have killed on those because if you don't come up and honor him as a ball carrier he could easily put up 20+ yard runs on those.

Gonna be interesting to see how he develops in Philly. I remember people saying M. Vick wasnt capable of passing from the pocket too. He still struggles with it at times, but he is much better at it.

brakos82
08-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Sir, do you own stock in Hot Pockets?! I think this is the second time today you mentioned someone should eat Hot Pockets and get turned into a NT. I think the prior was Mario?

Turn you into a Hot Pocket and feed you to a NT. :kitten:

Doppelganger
08-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Turn you into a Hot Pocket and feed you to a NT. :kitten:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51m7WKRPH3L._SS280_.jpg

That is just not right. Selling this in Texas oughta be a hangin' crime!

Malloy
08-25-2011, 09:11 AM

Disgusting! :)

Have Tebow back up #18 :)

mootini
08-25-2011, 11:02 AM
A 1st round pick that would fill up your stadium every week? Yes he would still have been worth it, but the Jags should try to get him for a late pick or something. Everyone knows a massive amount of Gator fans will show up to the games if Tebow goes to Jax, so why not sign him and uncover the thousands of seats? Saving the franchise is more important than a single first round pick, or as a fan I would be willing to sacrifice a 1st to keep the Texans in Houston.

I disagree, and I'm a Gator fan! Winning fills the stadium...you have to look long term and build correctly. I can tell you, those "massive"
amount of Gator fans would rather watch the game in A/C on a Flat screen ;)

TexanSam
08-25-2011, 11:06 AM

Selling Hot Pockets in general should be a crime. Nasty stuff

eriadoc
08-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Michael Vick, Vince Young, Tim Tebow, and guys like that don't fit the job description. It's really that simple. When VY was coming out, I posted something to the effect that VY could be a very good QB if a team developed some sort of a new offense around him. Well, no one has and no one will. When you apply for a job, you might be the best damn accountant in the world. But if the job is for digging ditches, you're probably not getting hired. The job description for an NFL QB is to drop back into the pocket, make the correct defensive read, and pass the ball to an open guy anywhere on the field. Like in the real world, secondary skills are a bonus, but you still have to be good at the initial job description.

Michael Vick didn't start having the success he's having until he realized that and started taking the primary job duties seriously. That ability in the primary job skills makes his secondary job skills that much more valuable. Hell, Steve Young learned that pretty early on, but he went through a similar learning process. Randall Cunningham's greatest individual success came once he realized that concept and applied himself. It's pretty apparent at this point that coaches and teams want a QB that can drop back into the pocket, read the defense, and pass the ball. If the guy can run, it's an added dimension, but they aren't going to develop a new offense that revolves around that. They'll incorporate it as an element of their game, but the NFL is a passing league, and defenses are as complex as ever.

BigBull17
08-25-2011, 11:26 AM

I do agree that VY would be farther along as a qb with Kubiak, but thats only if he can accept the coaching. Vince's main problem is not dealing with failure well and his sense of entitlement.

thunderkyss
08-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Everyone knows that Kubiak is a quarterback genius, and if Tebow has the time to develop in a system that is favorable for him then he could become a good starter. He is a mobile quarterback, but in the NFL everyone can run and everyone can hit. With that being said, he would be very effective on QB boots and in the redzone.

With some time behind Schaub and in the offense, he could become a valuable piece at some point. He also has a very good arm, strength wise of course. It would be nice to have a quarterback that could hit receivers on the deep routes off a boot.

All in all, I could see him being a good fit here. However, he would have to improve drastically in the passing game in terms of accuracy. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

With the money they're paying these guys nowadays, nobody has time to develop anyone any more.

Sad really. He'll probably get cut. I think someone will see his talent & pick him up.

thunderkyss
08-25-2011, 11:32 AM

Fisher never liked the kid.

But I think Kubiak would have done a much better job of teaching Vince to be a pro. I don't know what he could have done about the QB thing if he doesn't get the pro thing first.

The1ApplePie
08-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Fisher never liked the kid.

But I think Kubiak would have done a much better job of teaching Vince to be a pro. I don't know what he could have done about the QB thing if he doesn't get the pro thing first.

Ditching McNair after drafting VY is what killed Vince's career in the short term. Probably the long term as well

thunderkyss
08-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Ditching McNair after drafting VY is what killed Vince's career in the short term. Probably the long term as well

& it could be argued Fisher did it for that reason.

Playoffs
08-31-2011, 03:45 PM
Looks like Quinn & Tebow are now co-#2 QBs ... how p.c.

nero THE zero
08-31-2011, 04:23 PM
Michael Vick, Vince Young, Tim Tebow, and guys like that don't fit the job description. It's really that simple. When VY was coming out, I posted something to the effect that VY could be a very good QB if a team developed some sort of a new offense around him. Well, no one has and no one will. When you apply for a job, you might be the best damn accountant in the world. But if the job is for digging ditches, you're probably not getting hired. The job description for an NFL QB is to drop back into the pocket, make the correct defensive read, and pass the ball to an open guy anywhere on the field. Like in the real world, secondary skills are a bonus, but you still have to be good at the initial job description.

Michael Vick didn't start having the success he's having until he realized that and started taking the primary job duties seriously. That ability in the primary job skills makes his secondary job skills that much more valuable. Hell, Steve Young learned that pretty early on, but he went through a similar learning process. Randall Cunningham's greatest individual success came once he realized that concept and applied himself. It's pretty apparent at this point that coaches and teams want a QB that can drop back into the pocket, read the defense, and pass the ball. If the guy can run, it's an added dimension, but they aren't going to develop a new offense that revolves around that. They'll incorporate it as an element of their game, but the NFL is a passing league, and defenses are as complex as ever.
I've always thought that if a team could get 3 really good, athletic option-type quarterbacks they could run the option and be really successful. The risk is obviously injury, but if you offset that by numbers, you could have something going for you.

I wish there would be a team brave enough to try it. I'm fairly confident it would work.

infantrycak
08-31-2011, 05:38 PM
I've always thought that if a team could get 3 really good, athletic option-type quarterbacks they could run the option and be really successful. The risk is obviously injury, but if you offset that by numbers, you could have something going for you.

I wish there would be a team brave enough to try it. I'm fairly confident it would work.

Somewhat related theory. Before there was any Vick controversy and before Schaub was a sniff for the Texans I said the Falcons should line up Schaub as the starting QB with Vick as a RB. You could direct snap Vick. You could hand it off and he could run, roll or pass or Schaub could keep it and dissect the D. Would have been interesting to see. Hard for everyone to crash the line as if Vick is a pure RB and hard to ignore him as if he can't run well. Might be an O Tebow could be a part of. Still don't see him as a starting QB.

NETxTexanFan
08-31-2011, 09:20 PM
A 1st round pick that would fill up your stadium every week? Yes he would still have been worth it, but the Jags should try to get him for a late pick or something. Everyone knows a massive amount of Gator fans will show up to the games if Tebow goes to Jax, so why not sign him and uncover the thousands of seats? Saving the franchise is more important than a single first round pick, or as a fan I would be willing to sacrifice a 1st to keep the Texans in Houston.God himself could not save the Jags if he played QB because the poor showing of fans has little to do with who is or who is not on the team. The economy has hit hard in that area and no one player or deity is going to change that. Maybe if God granted jobs to all unemployed or hell maybe even just half and kept the Jags competitive the stadium would be plenty full. It was not long ago that the people of Jacksonville were filling their stadium with loud and supportive fans. The lack of paid attendees coincides with the economy.

If you pay real close attention you will see that the Dolphins are not doing much better than the Jags in regards to people coming to home games. Miami has a much longer history and the people there have been supporting them strong for many years. I hate all this Jacksonville is leaving BS because it is just that. BS. Other than some rumors there is no statement given by the owner with threats of moving out.

As far as Tebow there is a preconceived notion amongst many that he can not play QB. A certain prejudice exist where certain players are concerned. Tebow was in a system that did not prepare him for pro football. That does not mean he can not become a pro style QB. If Aaron Rogers can sit on the bench for three years as a prototypical ready to play QB than coaches can patiently groom Tim Tebow. Give the guy at least two years to study and learn and if he fails after that write him off as a QB. At least give the guy this year to learn and grow. Should coaches see him weak as a QB going into next season than make him a TE, trade him or cut him. No harm no foul.

nero THE zero
09-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Somewhat related theory. Before there was any Vick controversy and before Schaub was a sniff for the Texans I said the Falcons should line up Schaub as the starting QB with Vick as a RB. You could direct snap Vick. You could hand it off and he could run, roll or pass or Schaub could keep it and dissect the D. Would have been interesting to see. Hard for everyone to crash the line as if Vick is a pure RB and hard to ignore him as if he can't run well. Might be an O Tebow could be a part of. Still don't see him as a starting QB.
That would be interesting to see. That's the kind of role players I envisioned Pat White bringing to a team. His athleticism was off the charts. I guess he just wasn't accurate enough for the NFL.

There's definitely a role in the NFL for the athlete-QB hybrid. We just need an offensive mind creative enough to harness it.