PDA

View Full Version : Conner Barwin - kinda invisible thus far

ToxicButt
08-22-2011, 02:46 PM
Folks talk about mario b/c he was a #1 pick, but let's discuss the presumed starting OLB on the other side.

I haven't seen Barwin pressure the qb or make plays in the run game. Has anyone seen production from Barwin?

ATRAIN
08-22-2011, 02:53 PM
He has been in there applying pressure. I like him a lot but I would rather have Reed in there in his place.

Ole Miss Texan
08-22-2011, 03:06 PM
He's on the strongside and drops back in coverage more. I've seen him in the backfield a bit (was in there on the Smith forced fumble of Brees). Overall he hasn't looked spectacular but he's done is assignment. I think he's done well overall, not exactly "lighting it up" but from what I can tell he's done the typical "gap control" and done what he's supposed to. I know of another play where he stayed on the outside which forced Brees to throw over him and thus overthrew the WR.

I couldn't tell you Barwin or Reed at this point. Reed looked awesome against the Saints backups. But I can see Barwin's play being one where fans aren't impressed but that the coaches really like.

Regardless, I think alternating between Reed and Barwin throughout the season keeping them each fresh is going to be studly.

Speaking of studly. JJ Watt for All Pro. :fans:

drs23
08-22-2011, 04:34 PM
He's on the strongside and drops back in coverage more. I've seen him in the backfield a bit (was in there on the Smith forced fumble of Brees). Overall he hasn't looked spectacular but he's done is assignment. I think he's done well overall, not exactly "lighting it up" but from what I can tell he's done the typical "gap control" and done what he's supposed to. I know of another play where he stayed on the outside which forced Brees to throw over him and thus overthrew the WR.

I couldn't tell you Barwin or Reed at this point. Reed looked awesome against the Saints backups. But I can see Barwin's play being one where fans aren't impressed but that the coaches really like.

Regardless, I think alternating between Reed and Barwin throughout the season keeping them each fresh is going to be studly.

Speaking of studly. JJ Watt for All Pro. :fans:

I agree with your assesment of Barwin's play and that of Reed as well.

To the bolded, as someone posted some time back, I can see JJ Watt as DROY. Go JJ SWatt!

DocBar
08-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Folks talk about mario b/c he was a #1 pick, but let's discuss the presumed starting OLB on the other side.

I haven't seen Barwin pressure the qb or make plays in the run game. Has anyone seen production from Barwin?Barwin isn't MW, so expectations aren't the same. Barwin also fits the 'tweener mold better than MW. Barwin isn't making $14mil this season. Barwin isn't in the same universe of potential trade value as MW.

I agree with your assesment of Barwin's play and that of Reed as well.

To the bolded, as someone posted some time back, I can see JJ Watt as DROY. Go JJ SWatt!I sure hope we make the playoffs. It would be downright embarrassing to have 3 DROY's on the field and not get there with a top5 offense.

Brisco_County
08-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Barwin will be fine. We already know what kind of player he is after he ramps up.

Perki-Perk
08-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Barwin will be fine. We already know what kind of player he is after he ramps up.

Do we really?? You can tell that from the 4 preseason games last year and the 1/2 game against the Colts??

TimeKiller
08-23-2011, 08:44 AM
He's the most fluid coverage LBer there is on the team, that's for damn sure. I'm certain that once Wade opens up the playbook to some of the fun stuff Barwin is going to be impacting games for us. Across from Mario and not one of the hand down guys though, with the vanilla fest we've got going he's not going to be rushing much.

Brisco_County
08-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Do we really?? You can tell that from the 4 preseason games last year and the 1/2 game against the Colts??

Why omit his entire rookie season? Expectations of him were high that season and he met them.

IDEXAN
08-23-2011, 09:05 AM
The same thing could be said about both DeMeco and Cushing, but like Barwin they are coming off of 2010 injurys and/or surgery/rehab.
You know how everybody likes to say, "oh they'll be OK, just like new this year " ? Well we are now confronted by the reality that they won't be, atleast probably not this year.
The kind of injurys Barwin and DeMeco had are big time injurys, and the best case scenario is that they make a full-recovery but ones taking multi years and not a single season.

drs23
08-23-2011, 11:43 AM
The same thing could be said about both DeMeco and Cushing, but like Barwin they are coming off of 2010 injurys and/or surgery/rehab.
You know how everybody likes to say, "oh they'll be OK, just like new this year " ? Well we are now confronted by the reality that they won't be, atleast probably not this year.
The kind of injurys Barwin and DeMeco had are big time injurys, and the best case scenario is that they make a full-recovery but ones taking multi years and not a single season.

I'm not so sure I agree with you recovery assesment. Meco's achilles injury, accoriding to our very own resident surgeon is by far the injury that takes the longest and has the lowest % of returning to what the player was prior to the injury. Barwin's was much closer to what Ben Tate suffered. Both he and Barwin seem to be going like they've not missed a step while DeMeco is coming along more slowly just as Doc's prognosis indicated.

My hope is he continues to regain strength and mobility with no setbacks to be back to full form by next season. My :twocents:

Marcus
08-28-2011, 03:22 PM
I didn't think he was that invisible in the 49ers game.

The Pencil Neck
08-28-2011, 03:24 PM
I didn't think he was that invisible in the 49ers game.

He was pretty invisible to their offensive linemen. They apparently couldn't see him at all. He was all over the QB.

stingray
08-28-2011, 03:38 PM
I think there's gonna be one or two players that standout evry week. Last week was Reed and this week was Barwin.

headsplint
08-28-2011, 05:12 PM
I think there's gonna be one or two players that standout evry week. Last week was Reed and this week was Barwin.

I think...this may be the sign of a good defense? You try to game plan and maybe direct the focus to a couple of key guys, and it frees someone else up. I might be reaching with that, but man it really feels like we have some talent with some direction now.

80tothezone
08-28-2011, 05:34 PM

You got to admit though the D looks stout this yr or more stout than last yr mw last night bought some more time in my book and barwin was in there with him and jj making plays I think you got to see wp's D with the leashes off.... Regardless this is the best D we have ever fielded. Still not against trading mw but I don't think it will be done and fine with barwin as a starter at olb

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Ole Miss Texan
08-29-2011, 09:51 AM

I think...this may be the sign of a good defense? You try to game plan and maybe direct the focus to a couple of key guys, and it frees someone else up. I might be reaching with that, but man it really feels like we have some talent with some direction now.
I agree, I think that is the sign of a good team. I'd much rather have different guys standout throughout the year than just have 1 player that does well.

I also think it's due to some competition. Reed has a good game against NO and Barwin knows he's got to keep it coming to maintain his starting spot. The competition is going to help this team so much. They make each other better. Can't wait to see a good rotation and have a fresh pass rusher every single snap!

Ole Miss Texan
10-14-2011, 11:12 AM
With the loss of Mario for the season Barwin and Reed are both going to have to step up big time.

Not sure Wade's plan, but I'd like Reed to fill in for Mario on the weakside and have Barwin continue on the strongside. I've been watching CB98 each homegame and have been pretty impressed with him. He's doing a fine job when dropping in coverage - forcing the QB to alter his passing lane or throw. He's had a couple sacks now and that huge blocked pass against the Steelers. I think he's doing everything Wade is asking him to do from an x's and o's standpoint.

I hope Reed steps up and plays like he can. I love his tomahawk chop when he sacks the QB. Let's get some forced fumbles and sacks!!

nero THE zero
10-14-2011, 11:34 AM
With the loss of Mario for the season Barwin and Reed are both going to have to step up big time.

Not sure Wade's plan, but I'd like Reed to fill in for Mario on the weakside and have Barwin continue on the strongside. I've been watching CB98 each homegame and have been pretty impressed with him. He's doing a fine job when dropping in coverage - forcing the QB to alter his passing lane or throw. He's had a couple sacks now and that huge blocked pass against the Steelers. I think he's doing everything Wade is asking him to do from an x's and o's standpoint.

I hope Reed steps up and plays like he can. I love his tomahawk chop when he sacks the QB. Let's get some forced fumbles and sacks!!
LZ has been pretty emphatic that Reed is more of a strongside LB with better coverage skills than rush skills.

It should be interesting to see who plays which side.

80tothezone
10-14-2011, 11:39 AM

doesn't he have 2 sacks?

Ole Miss Texan
10-14-2011, 11:43 AM
LZ has been pretty emphatic that Reed is more of a strongside LB with better coverage skills than rush skills.

I trust LZ and enjoy his work. But I just hesitate throwing Reed in there and giving him too much responsibility as a rookie. I think Barwin makes less mistakes than him.

Blake
10-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Barwin is a superstar on a better D.

roooshi
10-14-2011, 12:43 PM
doesn't he have 2 sacks?

Loook at the date of that post? 8-22....

TimeKiller
10-14-2011, 12:57 PM

Not to question LZ but I find that a little hard to believe seeing as he went from being a 4/3 DE who didn't ever drop back. AND the knock on him was agility, something Barwin has in spades. I'd rather have Reed try to fill the "superstar" sack artist role on the weak side and let Barwin continue on his path.

Big Lou
10-14-2011, 01:09 PM
Not to question LZ but I find that a little hard to believe seeing as he went from being a 4/3 DE who didn't ever drop back. AND the knock on him was agility, something Barwin has in spades. I'd rather have Reed try to fill the "superstar" sack artist role on the weak side and let Barwin continue on his path.

In addition Barwin is a converted TE, so I would think he is athletic enough to cover TE's himself.

gary
10-14-2011, 01:21 PM
Time to see just what type of player the Texans have drafted in Brooks Reed not all that worried about Barwin.

amazing80
10-15-2011, 11:47 PM
Sorry but Barwin is simply overrated. He is average AT best and can occasionally make a nice play. He will never be great and will never be a focal point on this defense. Will be lucky to ever make a pro bowl. Nice 11th starter on the team though. I think with Mario out you will see even less of Barwin making plays. I just hope they don't start double teaming Smith, because if they isolate him we could see a dramatic dip in our performance on that side of the ball.

Texaninlild
10-16-2011, 12:12 AM
Sorry but Barwin is simply overrated. He is average AT best and can occasionally make a nice play. He will never be great and will never be a focal point on this defense. Will be lucky to ever make a pro bowl. Nice 11th starter on the team though. I think with Mario out you will see even less of Barwin making plays. I just hope they don't start double teaming Smith, because if they isolate him we could see a dramatic dip in our performance on that side of the ball.

How do you have a rep of 0?? Oh never mind I just read your posts. :toropalm:

EllisUnit
10-16-2011, 12:15 AM
hell u dont remember him in the steelers game he had a sack and fumble that was negated due to penalty, and then had another one that stood. He has been making some good plays, remember he is coming off a pretty serious injury and is learning a new position as well,

beerlover
10-16-2011, 12:20 AM
everybody is entitled to their opinions around here. me, I'm encouraged that Barwin can still be explosive after that terrible season ending injury last year.

EllisUnit
10-16-2011, 12:26 AM

isnt it evident they dont have to double team smith !!!! Did you watch the D-line after mario went out of the game, we had very little pressure. BUT with that being said i think we will still get good pressure on QBs once Reed gets settled in and gets comfortable.

Jackie Chiles
10-16-2011, 12:44 AM
isnt it evident they dont have to double team smith !!!! Did you watch the D-line after mario went out of the game, we had very little pressure. BUT with that being said i think we will still get good pressure on QBs once Reed gets settled in and gets comfortable.

Did you? Mario played 9 snaps against Oakland and we had pressure in those snaps and afterwards. I don't want to make a huge argument over this because I thought Mario was having a fantastic year but why do you have to tear down Antonio to build up Mario? I mean Campbell was either throwing a quick pass or running for his life the entire game.

More on topic, Barwin has played excellently so far this season both as a rusher and in coverage. He looks like a football player out there.

EllisUnit
10-16-2011, 12:57 AM
Did you? Mario played 9 snaps against Oakland and we had pressure in those snaps and afterwards. I don't want to make a huge argument over this because I thought Mario was having a fantastic year but why do you have to tear down Antonio to build up Mario? I mean Campbell was either throwing a quick pass or running for his life the entire game.

More on topic, Barwin has played excellently so far this season both as a rusher and in coverage. He looks like a football player out there.

im not tearing down antonio, i was simply responding to the post i quoted. I think mario is one hell of a player, but the fact of the matter is that mario made everyone around him better. you cant argue that.

Carr Bombed
10-16-2011, 12:57 AM

Sorry, but where is he getting that from? Brooks Reed played DE in college...NOBODY has seen him even attempt to cover and coming out of college he was viewed as the best prospect as far as using his hands when rushing the passer. Supposedly the scouting reports was he was already well developed in that department (reason why he had no problem shedding blocks and getting to the QB despite his alleged "short arms"). The guy is a pass rusher and all he was asked to do in college has get after the QB. Nobody knows what kind of player this guy is in coverage. I like LZ, but don't possibly see where he's getting this from.

Carr Bombed
10-16-2011, 01:01 AM

What a freaking load of crap this is. This is only the guy's 2nd season and he's playing a new position (quite well I might add) and you're already going to toss the "overrated" tag on him and declare he's the 11th best starter on the defense. :rolleyes: You don't have a clue of what type of player Barwin is and what type of player he can develop into.

Carr Bombed
10-16-2011, 01:07 AM
im not tearing down antonio, i was simply responding to the post i quoted. I think mario is one hell of a player, but the fact of the matter is that mario made everyone around him better. you cant argue that.

Yep, it was ALL Mario.. Let's ignore the fact that the Raiders Oline completely shut out every Dline they played and only surrendered 1 single sack before the Texans played the Raiders. How about we actually wait and watch a stream of other games before we declare the Ninja dance is shutdown.

Jackie Chiles
10-16-2011, 01:12 AM

No, I can't argue that. But saying that they don't need to double team Smith is tearing him down in my opinion. If the other teams know whats good for them Antonio will continue to see a good amount of double teams. He was not living off the attention Mario was drawing. It was certainly helping, just as the attention Antonio was garnering helped Mario. Antonio Smith is the Robert Mathis of this defense.

I'd also say that I will be surprised if we don't continue to average about 3 sacks per game for the rest of the season. Its who we are now.

thunderkyss
10-16-2011, 05:11 AM

Barwin, Reed, Watt....... they were all getting close. Smith was getting doubled.

With Mario in the game, I thought the Texans had a chance to be among the league leaders in sacks. High 40s...

Without Mario, I think we'll be in the high 30s, low 40s... I like Mario, I think he is special, but he's not the end all be all. He's like Foster vs Tate... the run game doesn't disappear without Foster, but it ain't the same either.

We may have to dial up a few more blitzes now, but it won't be long, our DL will start getting home, especially when we get past Tennessee & the schedule lightens up.

Jamison also had a good game. No sacks, but a good game. Cody looked good.... That DL was pretty damn good.

Corrosion
10-16-2011, 06:24 AM

Barwin might not always show up on the stat sheet .... but he makes plays.

If you look at last years defense , they were never the same after Barwin went down .... nor were they the same when Ryans was lost for the season.

amazing80
10-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Barwin might not always show up on the stat sheet .... but he makes plays.

If you look at last years defense , they were never the same after Barwin went down .... nor were they the same when Ryans was lost for the season.

That doesn't even make sense. He doesn't show up on the stat sheet but he makes plays??! That sounds like a guy who just isn't fast enough or just can't diagnose a play quick enough. I am not saying he is garbage. I am saying he is overrated by Texan fans. He will get 4-6 sacks a season and might get a few lucky turnovers each year, but he will not be a focal point on our defense. I think Reed turns out to be the better pro, but neither will matter because Mario is the top dog. They are excellent role players, but the way most of you describe him and the hopes you seem to have are just unrealistic for the guy. You are basically setting him up to fail if you expect him to be great.

Maddict5
10-16-2011, 09:25 AM
If you look at last years defense , they were never the same after Barwin went down ....

ha hes got injured in the second q of the first game right?

not rly enough evidence to contrast the D with or without him

amazing80
10-16-2011, 09:34 AM

LMAO, great sample size that is :spit:

HJam72
10-16-2011, 10:31 AM

I believe it, LOL.

PS-No, not really. :)

amazing80
10-16-2011, 10:42 AM
I believe it, LOL.

Yea, actually he did, it was the first game and IIRC it was the FIRST quarter, I thought it was the first defensive series....

Corrosion
10-16-2011, 11:09 AM
LMAO, great sample size that is :spit:

I believe it, LOL.

Its not the sample size .... its what they did with and without him ..... Go back and watch the film.

(Im sure 76 could solve the riddle) :runaway:

thunderkyss
10-16-2011, 11:25 AM
That doesn't even make sense. He doesn't show up on the stat sheet but he makes plays??! That sounds like a guy who just isn't fast enough or just can't diagnose a play quick enough. I am not saying he is garbage. I am saying he is overrated by Texan fans. He will get 4-6 sacks a season and might get a few lucky turnovers each year, but he will not be a focal point on our defense. I think Reed turns out to be the better pro, but neither will matter because Mario is the top dog. They are excellent role players, but the way most of you describe him and the hopes you seem to have are just unrealistic for the guy. You are basically setting him up to fail if you expect him to be great.

I don't know about that. I think Both Barwin & Reed are going to be challenging double digit sacks this year. Barwin is basically in his second year & so far is showing that 2nd round pick was well spent. Reed as well, in only 5 games.

I don't think they'll be CMIII or DeMarcus Ware, but those guys are more or less playing solo... Maybe not this year, but next (if we're still doing the same thing) I wouldn't be surprised if our OLB tandem (assuming no more Mario) wouldn't be leading the league in sacks by OLBs.

amazing80
10-16-2011, 11:27 AM
I don't know about that. I think Both Barwin & Reed are going to be challenging double digit sacks this year. Barwin is basically in his second year & so far is showing that 2nd round pick was well spent. Reed as well, in only 5 games.

I don't think they'll be CMIII or DeMarcus Ware, but those guys are more or less playing solo... Maybe not this year, but next (if we're still doing the same thing) I wouldn't be surprised if our OLB tandem (assuming no more Mario) wouldn't be leading the league in sacks by OLBs.

You think withOUT Mario we will lead the league in sacks? :vincepalm: I don't get this thought. Mario was dominant this season and now no one wants him it seems. Well I guess we have to wait and see with Barwin and Reed, but my hopes are quite low on Barwin. Hopefully Im wrong.

thunderkyss
10-16-2011, 11:35 AM
You think withOUT Mario we will lead the league in sacks? :vincepalm: I don't get this thought.

That's not what I said... I said our OLB duo would lead the league in sacks by OLBs....

If Ware gets 16 & Spencer gets 4, total 20....
I think Reed & Barwin would rack up 22-24

Mario was dominant this season and now no one wants him it seems. Well I guess we have to wait and see with Barwin and Reed, but my hopes are quite low on Barwin. Hopefully Im wrong.

I'm a Mario fan, but have always said we would be wasting his talent if we ever went back to a 3-4. I think Mario at OLB was an interesting experiment, but why would you put that square peg in that round hole? Sure he looked good.. but imagine if he were playing the 5 tech in a similarly aggressive 4-3 ran by someone who knows how to run a 4-3.... the Giants, the Titans, Chicago.

amazing80
10-16-2011, 11:39 AM
That's not what I said... I said our OLB duo would lead the league in sacks by OLBs....

If Ware gets 16 & Spencer gets 4, total 20....
I think Reed & Barwin would rack up 22-24

I'm a Mario fan, but have always said we would be wasting his talent if we ever went back to a 3-4. I think Mario at OLB was an interesting experiment, but why would you put that square peg in that round hole? Sure he looked good.. but imagine if he were playing the 5 tech in a similarly aggressive 4-3 ran by someone who knows how to run a 4-3.... the Giants, the Titans, Chicago.

Again, you're saying Reed and Barwin get those sacks, so I have to assume by leaving out Mario he won't be here next season. Also, aren't you the one who said to trust Wade on Jackson? If so, you have to do the same with Mario and Mario actually proved he could work in this system. He is a rusher first and foremost and with him standing up he has an edge on the tackle. He is more than athletic enough to play the position, so why would we assume he will fail or not exceed?

Jackie Chiles
10-16-2011, 11:58 AM

That is such a myopic stance on judging a player I can't take this argument seriously. The bottom line is you want 11 guys playing well making life difficult as hell on the offense. Barwin has been doing more than his share of that this season.

thunderkyss
10-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Again, you're saying Reed and Barwin get those sacks, so I have to assume by leaving out Mario he won't be here next season.

Did you totally miss that "if" in parenthesis?

Did you go to school in Louisiana?

Also, aren't you the one who said to trust Wade on Jackson? If so, you have to do the same with Mario and Mario actually proved he could work in this system. He is a rusher first and foremost and with him standing up he has an edge on the tackle. He is more than athletic enough to play the position, so why would we assume he will fail or not exceed?

Again.. I didn't assume that he would fail. I said "if"

I didn't agree with the "experiment" but I supported it, go back & look.

amazing80
10-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Did you totally miss that "if" in parenthesis?

Did you go to school in Louisiana?

Again.. I didn't assume that he would fail. I said "if"

I didn't agree with the "experiment" but I supported it, go back & look.

yea, I missed it, no I didn't I went to school in Texas, :gun:, and I don't need to go back, I trust you

thunderkyss
10-16-2011, 12:07 PM
That is such a myopic stance on judging a player I can't take this argument seriously. The bottom line is you want 11 guys playing well making life difficult as hell on the offense. Barwin has been doing more than his share of that this season.

There was actually supposed to be a second flea-flicker in Sunday's game. Michael Bush saw Barwin standing next to Campbell & decided to keep the ball..

That's what Barwin is supposed to do, change the game.

Jackie Chiles
10-16-2011, 01:28 PM
There was actually supposed to be a second flea-flicker in Sunday's game. Michael Bush saw Barwin standing next to Campbell & decided to keep the ball..

That's what Barwin is supposed to do, change the game.

That and the missed strip sack against Pitt are two plays that come to mind immediately with Barwin. If Bush doesn't make a very intelligent play and hold on to the football Barwin is going to wind up causing a turnover on that flea flicker.

badboy
10-16-2011, 05:08 PM
What do you thionk of me now? signed Connor Barwin.

amazing80
10-16-2011, 05:09 PM
What do you thionk of me now? signed Connor Barwin.

Yup, in the game thread I ate some crow, hes making me look like a jackass

badboy
10-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Yup, in the game thread I ate some crow, hes making me look like a jackass

No you called it as you saw it and how it was. He is just getting into the rythym I think.

thunderkyss
10-16-2011, 08:57 PM
No you called it as you saw it and how it was. He is just getting into the rythym I think.

He's had three strong games now... he's about to hit the zone.

76Texan
10-17-2011, 03:54 AM
Its not the sample size .... its what they did with and without him ..... Go back and watch the film.

(Im sure 76 could solve the riddle) :runaway:

I had started my notes just before the game started and then Vinny and Rey kept me busy with Kareem Jackson.

I'll catch up on this some other time!

Barwin already proves it for me anyway in this game, and as TK mentioned, not just this game!

thunderkyss
11-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Great game........ Connor played excellent.

DocBar
11-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Great game........ Connor played excellent.He played a whale of a game!!! Great game all around for the defense.

Spled
11-27-2011, 04:46 PM
The monster was unleashed.
http://www.nflfootballfansite.com/images/photos/64/641774.jpg

HJam72
11-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Hey, I think I saw that Barwin guy a few times today.

Texas T
11-27-2011, 04:48 PM

I bet Gabbart saw him more!

ziggy29
11-27-2011, 04:50 PM
May see him again in a couple days, since he could be named Defensive Player of the Week.

thunderkyss
11-27-2011, 04:53 PM
I bet Gabbart saw him more!

I seriously doubt Gabbert saw him at all.

At least he didn't act like it.

Ole Miss Texan
11-28-2011, 01:08 PM
What a dominating performance by Connor! He's been playing well all season, but this game the beast was unleashed!