PDA

View Full Version : Ben Tate busts out of Kubiak’s doghouse

srrono
08-21-2011, 10:08 AM
After a broken ankle wiped out his rookie season before it began and with a lingering hamstring problem keeping him off the field — to the dismay of coach Gary Kubiak — Texans running back Ben Tate finally has delivered.

Tate churned up 95 yards against the Saints, on only nine carries. Tate also scored a touchdown.

“Well, I was really surprised that he played as well as he did because he hasn’t practiced that much,” owner Bob McNair said in quotes distributed by the team. “You can tell his conditioning isn’t what it will be and he has more speed than you saw tonight so I think that’s pretty exciting.”

Added Kubiak: “I guess practice is overrated.”

“I was just excited to be honest,” Tate said of his performance. “It’s been over a year since I have been out there on the field so I wasn’t really thinking about anything. I was just excited and was just thinking ‘keep going, keep going’, I didn’t want to come out of the game for anything.”

Starter Arian Foster, who missed the preseason opener against the Jets with a hamstring injury of his own, contributed 47 yards on five carries — with two touchdowns.

Not to be forgotten, receiver Andre Johnson celebrated the monster contract given to Larry Fitzgerald with four catches for 100 yards.

The performances came in front of the largest preseason crowd ever at Reliant Stadium, where 70,828 fans showed up to see the home team beat the Saints, 27-14, only five nights after the game against the Jets.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/21/ben-tate-busts-out-of-kubiaks-doghouse/

hradhak
08-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Tate was on the bubble coming into this game. If he can continue to perform in week 3 and 4 I see him getting lots of reps on Sunday. I would love to see a 3 headed monster with Tate, Ward, and Foster. I think that gets us lots of yards on the ground and keeps all our RBs in better shape during the season.
15 reps for Arian and 8 for Tate and Ward each. If we can run it 30 times a game, we're going to be winning.

Errant Hothy
08-21-2011, 10:22 AM
All I know about Tate is that Spencer Tillman used to watch him tear it up every Saturday in the SEC.

TexansFanatic
08-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Tate was never on the bubble. You don't cut a second round draft pick before his second season after he's been on IR the whole season prior.

b0ng
08-21-2011, 10:35 AM
That was such a killer performance there is no way you can get rid of that guy. I know it's only one game but after that performance you gotta keep giving him carries.

The Pencil Neck
08-21-2011, 01:16 PM
Tate was never on the bubble. You don't cut a second round draft pick before his second season after he's been on IR the whole season prior.

^^^^ This.

Tate was never really in danger anywhere except in the minds of some of the fans. He was in a position behind Ward and Slaton because he had to prove himself and show that he needed playing time because he is/was still basically a rookie.

But there was a reason he was drafted in the 2nd round last year. This guy could be special in this offense.

GP
08-21-2011, 01:27 PM
All I know about Tate is that Spencer Tillman used to watch him tear it up every Saturday in the SEC.

LOL.

Nice.

GP
08-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Tate was on the bubble coming into this game. If he can continue to perform in week 3 and 4 I see him getting lots of reps on Sunday. I would love to see a 3 headed monster with Tate, Ward, and Foster. I think that gets us lots of yards on the ground and keeps all our RBs in better shape during the season.
15 reps for Arian and 8 for Tate and Ward each. If we can run it 30 times a game, we're going to be winning.

Ben Tate was never in a "Kubiak doghouse" or "on a bubble" at all.

This is something I spoke of last week. Kubiak's comments were standard comments you make when one of your key guy is out of action--As a HC, you push that guy and make sure he knows he needs to get healed and get back onto the field ASAP. It's standard motivation. It's simple, daily reminders that get put into print and the player sees that and knows he has to stay focused.

The impatience of fans does not equate to a guy being on the bubble. Kubiak knew his guys needed the rest. Hell, Kubiak probably put them on rest himself.

DocBar
08-21-2011, 01:49 PM
15 reps for Arian and 8 for Tate and Ward each. If we can run it 30 times a game, we're going to be winning.This is why they don't let fans make personnel decisions....
I DO think he was in Kube's doghouse, though. Kubes practically called him out last week. Kubiak doesn't do that very often.

Wolf
08-21-2011, 02:02 PM
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71758&page=7
Post 135 .

Good start to the 2011 season i cant wait to get out there i love this game way too much to pretend like something is wrong with me smh abt to say my prayers and hit the sheets

From last week

PHAROAH
08-21-2011, 02:33 PM
The kid played his ass off the Texans running game is going to be killer and now he is doing what they drafted him to do and actually we got lucky with Arian Foster last season no one knew he would lead the league in rushing and now we have two go to backs awesome.

Wolf
08-21-2011, 02:38 PM
and it is his birthday too

https://www.facebook.com/BenTateRB

Lucky
08-21-2011, 03:00 PM
This is why they don't let fans make personnel decisions....
Among other reasons.

disaacks3
08-21-2011, 03:08 PM
The performances came in front of the largest preseason crowd ever at Reliant Stadium, where 70,828 fans showed up to see the home team beat the Saints, 27-14, only five nights after the game against the Jets.

When are these guys ever gong to learn the difference between "paid attendance" and those that actually went through the turnstiles? It was a decent pre-season showing but NOWHERE near 70K in the stadium...I'd guess closer to 35-40K.

thunderkyss
08-21-2011, 03:20 PM

I've got nothing to back it up, but I think Tate going into Kubiak's office determined to play went a long way towards Tates future in the NFL.

You cant control injuries. But a players attitude during those injuries says a lot about his character.

DocBar
08-21-2011, 03:23 PM
I've got nothing to back it up, but I think Tate going into Kubiak's office determined to play went a long way towards Tates future in the NFL.

You cant control injuries. But a players attitude during those injuries says a lot about his character.Good point.

Brisco_County
08-21-2011, 03:48 PM
You're crazy if you think Tate was ever in danger sinking to the practice squad. This is the team that is still giving Antwaun Molden a chance four years, three DC's, and 30+ missed games after selecting him in the third round.

EllisUnit
08-21-2011, 03:54 PM
I was actually not impressed with him out of college and didnt expect much from him in the NFL, but i gotta say the kid surprised me, has good vision, good cuts and some nice speed. Well done tate

houstonspartan
08-21-2011, 04:14 PM

You cant control injuries. But a players attitude during those injuries says a lot about his character.

Yep. Agree. Kubiak said of Tate: "He came to see me." That little talk obviously went a long way.

As much as I have doubts about Kubiak as a head coach and leader, he appears to get players to respond on a personal, one-on-one basis. I remember Mario struggling a couple of seasons ago, and then bursting out immediately after having had a private talk with Kubaik.

srrono
08-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Yep. Agree. Kubiak said of Tate: "He came to see me." That little talk obviously went a long way.

As much as I have doubt about Kubiak as a head coach and leader, he appears to get players to respond on a personal, one-on-one basis. I remember Mario struggling a couple of seasons ago, and then bursting out immediately after having had a private talk with Kubaik.

Maybe Kub should have a talk with the whole defense we need them to shine this year.

Lucky
08-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Maybe Kub should have a talk with the whole defense we need them to shine this year.
Kubiak tends to distance himself as far as possible from his defense. Keeping his job after 5 seasons without a playoff berth indicates he's "on the right track".

ObsiWan
08-21-2011, 05:23 PM

:spit:
yeah, how many times did he say that...? Nineteen, twenty maybe?
:D

House of Pain
08-21-2011, 05:46 PM
When are these guys ever gong to learn the difference between "paid attendance" and those that actually went through the turnstiles? It was a decent pre-season showing but NOWHERE near 70K in the stadium...I'd guess closer to 35-40K.

You gotta be honest, it's nice to see that national media is actually giving the Texans some good press for a change.

drs23
08-21-2011, 05:51 PM

When did this happen? First I've heard about it.

edit: Just heard in on the podcast.

drs23
08-21-2011, 05:55 PM
:spit:
yeah, how many times did he say that...? Nineteen, twenty maybe?
:D

Well don't leave out "being lead analyst" either. :D :kitten:

Ole Miss Texan
08-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Yea tillman watched Tate for 3 years in the SEC... In spades

thunderkyss
08-21-2011, 07:16 PM

As much as I have doubts about Kubiak as a head coach and leader, he appears to get players to respond on a personal, one-on-one basis. I remember Mario struggling a couple of seasons ago, and then bursting out immediately after having had a private talk with Kubaik.

I disagree on small point. I have never seen a team buy the company line the way this team has done since Kubiak has been here. There is no doubt in my mind that every single player believes in Kubiak.

Which has got to count for something.

ObsiWan
08-21-2011, 08:09 PM
I disagree on small point. I have never seen a team buy the company line the way this team has done since Kubiak has been here. There is no doubt in my mind that every single player believes in Kubiak.

Which has got to count for something.

Agreed.

Texan_Bill
08-21-2011, 09:38 PM
:confused: How was Tate ever in a "Dog House"?? :kubepalm:

badboy
08-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Foster got into the dog house and turned into NFl leader. So Tate.....?

ObsiWan
08-22-2011, 05:43 AM
:confused: How was Tate ever in a "Dog House"?? :kubepalm:
You didn't hear about Kubiak wondering ALOUD when/if Tate was ever going to participate in practice...? Calling a player out in the press is about as doghousey as coach "Its-On-Me" ever gets.

TimeKiller
08-22-2011, 09:28 AM
Ben Tate got runs like diarhea!

MojoMan
08-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Ben Tate got runs like diarhea!

Dude. That was not necessary.

The Pencil Neck
08-22-2011, 10:58 AM
You didn't hear about Kubiak wondering ALOUD when/if Tate was ever going to participate in practice...? Calling a player out in the press is about as doghousey as coach "Its-On-Me" ever gets.

Not according to Sage Rosenfels.