PDA

View Full Version : Saints had a Vanilla D?

mugrakers
08-21-2011, 04:27 AM
So I was going through the Saints forums tonight to see their reaction to the game. Some people were admitting that they got run over. While most people were saying that they were playing a Vanilla/Parachute type of defense. As far as I recall from the game the Saints were blitzing a lot. I think they even sent a cornerback blitz.

I just found it really funny that they called that defense vanilla instead of giving our offense our due.

ThaShark316
08-21-2011, 04:46 AM
So I was going through the Saints forums tonight to see their reaction to the game. Some people were admitting that they got run over. While most people were saying that they were playing a Vanilla/Parachute type of defense. As far as I recall from the game the Saints were blitzing a lot. I think they even sent a cornerback blitz.

I just found it really funny that they called that defense vanilla instead of giving our offense our due.

See that's the difference between this game and other preseason games:

We see 'em again in a few weeks. When Foster, Ward and Tate skins them alive AGAIN, they won't say a word.

Tailgate
08-21-2011, 05:23 AM
Their board looks pretty much like ours was after playing them the last 2 preseasons.

We were GASHED by them up and down the field and it pretty much foreshadowed our D for the seasons.

ThaShark316
08-21-2011, 05:27 AM
Their board looks pretty much like ours was after playing them the last 2 preseasons.

We were GASHED by them up and down the field and it pretty much foreshadowed our D for the seasons.

Yeah. I told my pops the same thing Saturday before the game that they have exposed us the last 2 years in preseason games and it told the story for our team in both years.

Wolf6151
08-21-2011, 05:32 AM
All teams in the NFL run very vanilla defenses in preseason especially against teams that your going to be facing during the season. We're doing the same thing, only showing a little of what's to come for the defense. Although it's a meaningless victory it's still nice to see the team playing better and even preseason wins can add to a young players confidence.

BullsOnParade
08-21-2011, 07:00 AM
I expect the game in the regular season to be a whole lot closer. That's not to say that the Texans don't have a shot at winning, but if you think it's going to come that easy again, I say you're mistaken.

We've got to find a way to stop the runs up the middle. If we can't do that, the Saints will be able to score just as many points as us. They'll open it up with Thomas, Ingram and Sproles, then Brees will kill us through the air.

If we can slow down the run game, our chances to win increase tenfold.

As for Williams' play-calling, he took it down a notch. Plain and simple. But still, as talented as our offense is, we should be ready for the real deal. If we can run like we did tonight, it'll help a lot. Williams won't get as many opportunities to blitz. Foster could have a huge day if he can run and get some action on screen plays.

Keep in mind, playing in the Superdome is different than playing at Reliant. I seem to remember a very similar situation last year. We beat up on a team in preseason who eventually would go on to beat us in Week 3 of the regular season.

The real position battles in Week 3 will be between the coaches:

Payton vs. Phillips

Kubiak vs. Williams

welsh texan
08-21-2011, 07:00 AM

We see 'em again in a few weeks. When Foster, Ward and Tate skins them alive AGAIN, they won't say a word.

Signed, Dallas Cowbo....oh right :kitten:

Dutchrudder
08-21-2011, 11:42 AM
All teams in the NFL run very vanilla defenses in preseason especially against teams that your going to be facing during the season. We're doing the same thing, only showing a little of what's to come for the defense. Although it's a meaningless victory it's still nice to see the team playing better and even preseason wins can add to a young players confidence.

The problem last year was that our preseason vanilla defense was actually our normal defense. I'm hoping that's not the case this year.

False Start
08-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Who cares if it was vanilla? The Texans showed the Aints some Rocky Road last night. :wild:

MEGA SWATT
08-21-2011, 12:21 PM
The problem last year was that our preseason vanilla defense was actually our normal defense. I'm hoping that's not the case this year.

Our P.V.D. (pres. vanill. def.) now is 100Xs better than last season's defense.

DocBar
08-21-2011, 12:24 PM
We played a pretty dang vanilla O and D also. This will all get settled in week 2. It should be one helluva game. I just hope the good guys win.

thunderkyss
08-21-2011, 12:28 PM

Say, that reminds me of the Dallas game last year.... hey, Payton has ties to Dallas...... I'm concerned.

I got this (http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3941332&postcount=1)from their board
http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/image.php?u=12674&dateline=1313166524...the Saints' defense that was on the field was more vanilla than a Bananas Foster.

As aggressive as Williams was last week against the 49ers, he was conservative against the Texans. The Saints rarely blitzed and mostly sat back in a basic 4-3 defense and took their lumps.

Remember, the Saints play the Texans in Week 3. They'd be foolish to tip their hands in any way in a meaningless exhibition game. And they didn't.

Did they get punched in the mouth up front? No doubt. And rest assured, Williams and Payton will address that this week in practice.

But these things happen in the preseason.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...ping_of_s.html

It's not about respect, & I'm fine with that. I don't believe the Texans' have earned any (not even what we sunshiners give'm). But they seem to be more upset with their team & really don't have a lot of bad stuff to say about our team.

They seem pretty cool with the schellacking, but there are obviously some deep rooted concerns about their team (which I find to be odd... I figured Payton & Benson would have carte blanche after the Super Bowl).

HoustonFrog
08-21-2011, 12:36 PM
It's preseason and off of a strike. D's aren't showing much and neither is anything else. Everyone is trying to feel out what they have. Look at what happened to Philly the other night. None of this means anything until teams spend a real week gameplanning for a real game. Look at the Boys last season and people were here talking about how it would happen again. Preseason is a time to work on things, nothing more, nothing less.

b0ng
08-21-2011, 01:11 PM
What did we show on our D that would not be considered vanilla.

Corrosion
08-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Edit:inaccurate.

Mr teX
08-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Sure they went mostly vanilla on defense & offense last night, but they did blitz a few times with 1's & for the most part we handled it well. What kills me is that some of their fans are downplaying the ass kicking and act like its going to be some kind of major advantage for them in the regular season matchup like WE showed everything. As if there isn't tape from last year & previous years on greg williams' blitz schemes.....as if there's no tape from his blitzapalooza in SF just last week....as if there wont be 2 weeks of 2011 game tape on them before we play them this damn year....it's really stupid rationale honestly & its All b/c we came to play & their team didnt.

At the end of the day, so much can happen between now & week 3 to be worried about what's on tape & whats not. Teams use the preseason to evaluate talent & execution & there's no 2 ways about it, they stunk it up on both sides of the ball last night.

Allstar
08-21-2011, 02:32 PM
This reminds me too much of the Dallas preseason game last year. We stomped them and then week 3 came along in the regular season, it was a whole different story. I really hope that isn't the case.

DocBar
08-21-2011, 02:55 PM
This reminds me too much of the Dallas preseason game last year. We stomped them and then week 3 came along in the regular season, it was a whole different story. I really hope that isn't the case.That's true!! I hope the fact that we regularly get whipped by 3-4's had something to do with that. I also think we have a potent enough O to make N.O. pay for being too blitz happy. It should be a good game.

BetaV1
08-21-2011, 03:05 PM
The Saints were showing us a vanilla defense, but the Texans were showing them a vanilla offense. I don't think Schaub ever audibled, and I don't recall seeing him send players in motion much. The offensive philosophy was to simply line up our line against their line and see if they can stop basic runs -- the Saints couldn't. What passing plays we did call seemed mostly to be ten yard routes into the middle of the field and the occasional play action.

We didn't show them anything that any team should not already be prepared for. Make no mistake though, Gregg will have his defense ready

GP
08-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Well, I guarantee you Wade Phillips--if he had been the Texans d-coord last year--would not have allowed DeMeco Ryans to get away with the now infamous "It's just another game to us..." comment Ryans made the week of the Cowboys reg season game.

See, that's the whole problem to me. IMO, the defense last year had no confidence (which they were impregnated with via having Frank Bush and David Gibbs running the show).

I don't see Wade Phillips letting those guys have any slack from week to week. Wade will use his status as an "old man in the NFL" and beat them over the head every week, during practices and during film study, and he'll instill in this defense a sense that "You haven't 'arrived' at a place where you can say 'This is just another game to us.' I have 112 things on my list that you all need to do better at."

We got our asses handed to us by the Saints last year. I mean, it was flat out embarrassing. And though I agree that this is "just preseason," you still want your team to get momentum and look competent. There were moments where the Saints offense showed momentum and competency, but there were moments where our defense confused them and abused them. All in all, this was not the type of Texans defense the Saints expected to meet last night. And that's a good thing, and the results (I feel) speak for themselves.

Thus far, the Cowboys firing Wade Phillips has been the best thing for the Texans. Who says the Cowboys are good for nuthin'? LOL.

texanhead08
08-21-2011, 04:04 PM
I was happy with the performance but you know its just pre season and the Saints will be sky high playing at home when the Texans roll in there in a few weeks. The Saints will be better and hopefully with a month more in the system the Texans will have their run gap responsibilities fixed by then as well.

Playoffs
08-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Sure they went mostly vanilla on defense ... last night, but they did blitz a few times with 1's & for the most part we handled it well...
^This.

Proof will be when it counts.

CloakNNNdagger
08-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Maybe, my view is skewed. But, I felt that both the 4-3 and 3-4 were both vanilla. Both fared pretty poorly against the run. And I could swear that the 4-3 formations led to greater pressure on the QB.

El Tejano
08-21-2011, 10:21 PM
All I know is our vanilla Ds of the past have never been this succesful even if just the preseason.

BullNation4Life
08-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Maybe, my view is skewed. But, I felt that both the 4-3 and 3-4 were both vanilla. Both fared pretty poorly against the run. And I could swear that the 4-3 formations led to greater pressure on the QB.

^^^^This...

I don't think either team wanted to show anything more than they had to since they play again in week 3. I didn't see a whole lot of blitzs or stunts from Phillips on Saturday, the sacks the Texans got were guys beating other guys, for the most part.

Week 3 should be a fun game to watch....

thunderkyss
08-22-2011, 12:02 AM
This reminds me too much of the Dallas preseason game last year. We stomped them and then week 3 came along in the regular season, it was a whole different story. I really hope that isn't the case.

Then this is an opportunity for Kubiak to step it up.

What's the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice.... "

If he doesn't understand the importance of that game & the implications of Saturday's game, then he doesn't deserve to be HC.

I'm not saying that we should win regardless, but we were ineffective against the Cowboys for most of the game & they had a plan from go. Neutralizing everything we tried to do.

Rey
08-22-2011, 12:57 AM
Then this is an opportunity for Kubiak to step it up.

What's the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice.... "

If he doesn't understand the importance of that game & the implications of Saturday's game, then he doesn't deserve to be HC.

I'm not saying that we should win regardless, but we were ineffective against the Cowboys for most of the game & they had a plan from go. Neutralizing everything we tried to do.

Wasn't wade the coach at the time?

I think as long as wade has the defense playing well we'll be in most games.