PDA

View Full Version : Some Unexpected Performances

The Pencil Neck
08-20-2011, 11:21 PM
1. Brooks Reed -- People have been saying that the kid looked terrible early in training camp but after last week and now what he did this week... Holy Crap! I had expected Brooks to get drafted in the first round so I was excited and happy when we got him in the 2nd. And the kid's starting to show why he should have been a 1st.

2. Scooter Berry -- I haven't even heard of this guy and he's running with the 2's. And he's playing hard.

3. Tim Jamison -- I'm afraid that Jamison might get cut in a numbers crunch. I've been singing his praises for a couple of years now. I was really excited about him coming out of college. But he's been making some plays this preseason.

4. Devard Darling -- This guy could be in the mix with Dickerson and Jean fighting for the last WR spot.

TexansFanatic
08-20-2011, 11:43 PM
Easily the most difficult cuts in Texans history.

houstonspartan
08-20-2011, 11:46 PM
Easily the most difficult cuts in Texans history.

I agree. They have a lot of tough decisions to make.

TimeKiller
08-20-2011, 11:49 PM
I think Jamison has as much of a shot as guys like Braman or Nading. Reed took a nice stand tonight and I think has secured a spot for himself. It's weird to hear him speak, he sounds very calm to the point of being...not so interested...and then on the field, he's an animal rushing.

DocBar
08-20-2011, 11:51 PM
1. Brooks Reed -- People have been saying that the kid looked terrible early in training camp but after last week and now what he did this week... Holy Crap! I had expected Brooks to get drafted in the first round so I was excited and happy when we got him in the 2nd. And the kid's starting to show why he should have been a 1st.

2. Scooter Berry -- I haven't even heard of this guy and he's running with the 2's. And he's playing hard.

3. Tim Jamison -- I'm afraid that Jamison might get cut in a numbers crunch. I've been singing his praises for a couple of years now. I was really excited about him coming out of college. But he's been making some plays this preseason.

4. Devard Darling -- This guy could be in the mix with Dickerson and Jean fighting for the last WR spot.

What do the upcoming, difficult cuts say about Smithiak? A month ago, all we heard was how bad they suck. Nowadays, it's about which "diamond in the rough" we're gonna lose. The great part is that we're not even sure they'll clear waivers if we cut one. So many positions, so much young talent. This is how it feels to be a fan of a REAL NFL team. This town hasn't experienced that since 1992-93.

TexansFanatic
08-20-2011, 11:54 PM
This is how it feels to be a fan of a REAL NFL team. This town hasn't experienced that since 1992-93.

Watching that attacking defense constantly harassing the QB on passing downs, I had that precise sentiment. Not since the days of Warren Moon and Buddy Ryan have I seen such a complete game from a professional football team in Houston.

DocBar
08-20-2011, 11:57 PM
Watching that attacking defense constantly harassing the QB on passing downs, I had that precise sentiment. Not since the days of Warren Moon and Buddy Ryan have I seen such a complete game from a professional football team in Houston.

The House of Pain. I really hope Wade brings back the D of the late 70's. That D kicked serious azz. If we do that, we have a few SB's in our future.

Rey
08-21-2011, 12:01 AM

I mentioned berry when we got him. I think he makes the team. He has a lot of talent and he has a big round body.

Nawzer
08-21-2011, 12:02 AM
I think Jamison will make the team. He had a very good game today and pressure from the interior is just too valuable an asset. A few of the dbs will more than likely get cut.

TexansFanatic
08-21-2011, 12:04 AM
The House of Pain. I really hope Wade brings back the D of the late 70's. That D kicked serious azz. If we do that, we have a few SB's in our future.

I always respected Wade but I hadn't expected this kind of pressure, sacks, turnovers. I love that kind of football. Watching the opposing quarterback struggle is one of the most enjoyable things in the game of football.

DocBar
08-21-2011, 12:06 AM
I always respected Wade but I hadn't expected this kind of pressure, sacks, turnovers. I love that kind of football. Watching the opposing quarterback struggle is one of the most enjoyable things in the game of football.It's been a long time since we've seen an NFL caliber D around here. I was hoping to see this in the regular season, but not in the preseason.

MEGA SWATT
08-21-2011, 12:44 AM
agree, love Wade Phillips:texanbill:

badboy
08-21-2011, 01:08 AM
What do the upcoming, difficult cuts say about Smithiak? A month ago, all we heard was how bad they suck. Nowadays, it's about which "diamond in the rough" we're gonna lose. The great part is that we're not even sure they'll clear waivers if we cut one. So many positions, so much young talent. This is how it feels to be a fan of a REAL NFL team. This town hasn't experienced that since 1992-93.Not sure if Smith gets any credit for this draft or UDFAs.

The Pencil Neck
08-21-2011, 01:11 AM
Not sure if Smith gets any credit for this draft or UDFAs.

I'll give it to him.

I think the drafts are a combo of Smith, his scouting staff, and the positional coaches and coordinators hashing out who they want and how bad. I've said it in some other threads, but I think a lot of Smith's "problem" with DBs and other defensive players were more because of our defensive coaches than any failing on his part.

Now that he's working with someone who knows what he wants, he's making better choices. That trade up to get Brandon Harris was totally on Smith.

badboy
08-21-2011, 01:14 AM
I'll give it to him.

I think the drafts are a combo of Smith, his scouting staff, and the positional coaches and coordinators hashing out who they want and how bad. I've said it in some other threads, but I think a lot of Smith's "problem" with DBs and other defensive players were more because of our defensive coaches than any failing on his part.

Now that he's working with someone who knows what he wants, he's making better choices. That trade up to get Brandon Harris was totally on Smith.I'll buy that.

BigBull17
08-21-2011, 01:15 AM
I like how every inch looks like a fight.

bckey
08-21-2011, 01:45 AM
agree, love Wade Phillips:texanbill:

Me too. The only thing I don't like is the fact that he doesn't want a big nt to plug the middle

Corrosion
08-21-2011, 03:00 AM
What do the upcoming, difficult cuts say about Smithiak? A month ago, all we heard was how bad they suck. Nowadays, it's about which "diamond in the rough" we're gonna lose. The great part is that we're not even sure they'll clear waivers if we cut one. So many positions, so much young talent. This is how it feels to be a fan of a REAL NFL team. This town hasn't experienced that since 1992-93.

Hell its been longer than that .... Probably since Bum was shown the door. They had a few good years after that .... but nothing special. 35-3 still sticks in my craw .... bleeping gimickey offense.

Me too. The only thing I don't like is the fact that he doesn't want a big nt to plug the middle

I dont doubt that if there was one to be had , they would have brought that player in .... I dont need is coach speak for we have a hole there but we'll deal with it .... Kinda like what Kubiak said about the young secondary last season , he didnt have much choice but to deal with it.

Jackie Chiles
08-21-2011, 03:02 AM
Jamison is going to make the team for sure. He might be the first DE off the bench if he keeps this up. I'm not saying that because of his sack either, he was getting consistent push in game 1 and I'll have to go back and check this game but I imagine it was more of the same.

Corrosion
08-21-2011, 03:11 AM
Jamison is going to make the team for sure. He might be the first DE off the bench if he keeps this up. I'm not saying that because of his sack either, he was getting consistent push in game 1 and I'll have to go back and check this game but I imagine it was more of the same.

He was involved in a lot of positive plays .... No doubt he's pushing for playing time and a roster spot.

thunderkyss
08-21-2011, 03:57 AM
I'll give it to him.

Now that he's working with someone who knows what he wants, he's making better choices. That trade up to get Brandon Harris was totally on Smith.

I can buy that. Previously the ability to assist & help stop the run was a high priority for DBs.

Now it seems the ability to cover has moved up a few notches.

Thorn
08-21-2011, 08:38 AM
Our 1s on defense are looking better, but they still screw up. Our 2s look better than the other guys 2s, and the combination of our 2s and 3s really look good against the other teams 2s and 3s. All that says is we've finally got talent in the positional backups on defense like we do on offense. The difference is, our 1s on offense are terrific and can get us to the promised land. The 1s on defense aren't there yet.

nytexan
08-21-2011, 08:47 AM
Our 1s on defense are looking better, but they still screw up. Our 2s look better than the other guys 2s, and the combination of our 2s and 3s really look good against the other teams 2s and 3s. All that says is we've finally got talent in the positional backups on defense like we do on offense. The difference is, our 1s on offense are terrific and can get us to the promised land. The 1s on defense aren't there yet.

I agree with you but with a new defensive coaching mindset and with both Joseph and Ryans missing in action and Cushing just getting his legs back, the D didn't play all that bad. 4 sacks and 3 turnovers, that doesn't look like Bush's defense to me. In fact that's a years worth of work in 1 game versus the Saints, a not shabby offensive team that normally clobbers us when we've played them lately.

nytexan
08-21-2011, 08:50 AM
And that doesn't mention if the Mario lightbulb finally turns on at OLB. We could be scary good.

thunderkyss
08-22-2011, 06:02 PM
How does Adibi look to you guys?

DocBar
08-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Not sure if Smith gets any credit for this draft or UDFAs.I'm giving it to him. I'll gripe when he screws the pooch, but I'll also give him credit when he gets it right. I don't think it's right to place blame without being willing to give credit when it's due.
We have pretty decent talent at all positions. Outstanding talent at some positions. This is as complete a team as we've ever fielded and I bet more than 20 teams would absolutely love to have we have. I'm hitting the :koolaid: again and have visions of banners hanging from Reliant Stadium!!!

The Pencil Neck
08-22-2011, 06:27 PM

I need to sit down and actually watch him against the 1s. What I'm wondering is if it was the insertion of Adibi for Cushing that steadied our defense against the run.

nytexan
08-22-2011, 06:34 PM

He's starting to show some of the promise he displayed his rookie year in the preseason. I didn't think he'd stick this year with what he's shown previously but he and Sharpton have played really well so far this preseason.

I'm trying not to overdose on the :koolaid: so I'll emphasize PRESEASON. Let's see if he can stay out of the whirlpool room and continue his promising start when the real bullets fly.

Perki-Perk
08-22-2011, 09:55 PM
I gotta be honest. To me, in the first 2 games, I think Adibi, Reed and Sharpton have been extremely impressive as far as second team goes. Enough to make me think, as others have suggested, that movie Mario from OLB to DB wouldn't be a bad idea if we moved Reed to OLB spot. Of course, I think the reason Mario is playing OLB is because they weren't too sure about Reed. I say that boy is something else. A very impressive second rounder. He's everywhere they balls at. Somewhat reminds me of Cush in his rookie season, hopefully minus the "over-training".

The Pencil Neck
08-22-2011, 09:56 PM
I gotta be honest. To me, in the first 2 games, I think Adibi, Reed and Sharpton have been extremely impressive as far as second team goes. Enough to make me think, as others have suggested, that movie Mario from OLB to DB wouldn't be a bad idea if we moved Reed to OLB spot. Of course, I think the reason Mario is playing OLB is because they weren't too sure about Reed. I say that boy is something else. A very impressive second rounder. He's everywhere they balls at. Somewhat reminds me of Cush in his rookie season, hopefully minus the "over-training".

SWEET JEEBUS!!! Now you're wanting to make a defensive back out of him!!!!

:jk:

Perki-Perk
08-22-2011, 09:59 PM

LOL, DE not DB. I don't think anyone has suggested we should move him to defensive back...of course, He is 6'6" :kitten:

DocBar
08-22-2011, 10:02 PM
LOL, DE not DB. I don't think anyone has suggested we should move him to defensive back...of course, He is 6'6" :kitten:And that's a liabilty at OLB and DB.....just sayin....

Perki-Perk
08-22-2011, 10:07 PM
And that's a liabilty at OLB and DB.....just sayin....

Hasn't Antonio Smith played NT before?? If so, why couldn't we try him there, while moving Mario back to a more "natural" position for him, and Reed at OLB...

The Pencil Neck
08-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Hasn't Antonio Smith played NT before?? If so, why couldn't we try him there, while moving Mario back to a more "natural" position for him, and Reed at OLB...

Well, normally he's used as a pass-rushing DT in a 4-3, not an NT in a 3-4. Different positions.

OTOH, our NT isn't supposed to be an NT, so maybe.

Both Watt and Smith could play pass-rushing DT.

dinkatoid
08-23-2011, 09:55 AM

At least we wouldn't have to worry about him falling over while trying to jam the receiver! :jogger:

HOU-TEX
08-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Dunno if it's been mentioned, but I thought Brisiel had a nice game. Yes, the entire line did very well but he just stood out to me on several occasions. It seemed like he was getting to the 2nd level with ease and taking care of his man.

badboy
08-23-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm giving it to him. I'll gripe when he screws the pooch, but I'll also give him credit when he gets it right. I don't think it's right to place blame without being willing to give credit when it's due.
We have pretty decent talent at all positions. Outstanding talent at some positions. This is as complete a team as we've ever fielded and I bet more than 20 teams would absolutely love to have we have. I'm hitting the :koolaid: again and have visions of banners hanging from Reliant Stadium!!!If you want to give credit to Smith for being GM, ok and I do not know if he made decisions concerning the draft or simply rubber stamped Phillips decisions. If so, that is cool for now but something to put back in the larder to examine later. For me, I want to see a triumpherate of HC, GM & Co-ordinators cussing and discussing players to be brought aboard. Many think McNair gave Wade free rein over the draft.

badboy
08-23-2011, 10:58 AM
I gotta be honest. To me, in the first 2 games, I think Adibi, Reed and Sharpton have been extremely impressive as far as second team goes. Enough to make me think, as others have suggested, that movie Mario from OLB to DB wouldn't be a bad idea if we moved Reed to OLB spot. Of course, I think the reason Mario is playing OLB is because they weren't too sure about Reed. I say that boy is something else. A very impressive second rounder. He's everywhere they balls at. Somewhat reminds me of Cush in his rookie season, hopefully minus the "over-training".Hope I am not revising history but I think you have it backwards. Wade had re-located Mario to OLB before the draft if I'm not mistaken. Reed was a safety net in case Williams failed at OLB. I think Texans were as surprised as I was that Reed was there in second round.

I agree with you on Adibi but when healthy, he has played pretty well. He was a starter replacing Diles after the latter was injured. Diles later won back the starting role when the 4th rounder was injured.

Perki-Perk
08-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Hope I am not revising history but I think you have it backwards. Wade had re-located Mario to OLB before the draft if I'm not mistaken. Reed was a safety net in case Williams failed at OLB. I think Texans were as surprised as I was that Reed was there in second round.

I agree with you on Adibi but when healthy, he has played pretty well. He was a starter replacing Diles after the latter was injured. Diles later won back the starting role when the 4th rounder was injured.

Well then, Diles didn't necessarily "win" it back. He got it back by default. I like our depth on the front 7 this year. Maybe another draft and free agency and we get something goin in the secondary as far as depth. Secondary still has me quite worried. How devestating is it to watch game after game blown because of them? It's gotta be pretty hard on the front 7 as well as the offense too. I think the ineptitude of the ST doesn't allow them the right to get upset. They need to get it together, and fast. Hopefully Reed and Adibi can make an impact on ST, but we need that lighting quick little guy that flies down the field and just gets the tackle. Why don't we have one of those??

beerlover
08-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Several players I was looking forward to watching in pre-2 did not play or much at all Jean, Braman, Yates. But this allowed more reps for others like Jamison who was a talented player @ Michigan, he's paid his dues & is ready to elevated on 53 man roster. Leinart doesn't look good at all, I'm glad he got extended minutes so everybody could witness his inability to challenge a defense. Others who impressed obviously Brooks & Tate really stepped it up. No John Graves or Steven Friday I suppose both make the PS cause both can ball. What do all think of the punting compeition? Maynard has the experience but Hartmann the youth & leg. Dickerson continues to be a no show, I don't know what's up with him, same with Anthony Hill? Garrrett Graham may just sneak in there & bump them both out. Not seeing anything from Jeff Maehl to suggest he is anything other than developmental PS material. Demps & Barber are always around the ball but cannot make a play. McMannis has been disappointing, gets beat often, cannot tackle. Tim Dobbins is a stud, should make the roster while the other free agent acquisition of Vickers is somewhat up in the air.

badboy
08-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Well then, Diles didn't necessarily "win" it back. He got it back by default. I like our depth on the front 7 this year. Maybe another draft and free agency and we get something goin in the secondary as far as depth. Secondary still has me quite worried. How devestating is it to watch game after game blown because of them? It's gotta be pretty hard on the front 7 as well as the offense too. I think the ineptitude of the ST doesn't allow them the right to get upset. They need to get it together, and fast. Hopefully Reed and Adibi can make an impact on ST, but we need that lighting quick little guy that flies down the field and just gets the tackle. Why don't we have one of those??The starter role was not given to Diles, he had to beat out others to "win" it.

BigBull17
08-23-2011, 02:32 PM
I can buy that. Previously the ability to assist & help stop the run was a high priority for DBs.

Now it seems the ability to cover has moved up a few notches.

Our old DC had to be the dumbest mother ****er for putting tackling above coverage in cornerbacks. And the interchangable safetys makes me sick too. :vincepalm:

BigBull17
08-23-2011, 02:34 PM
LOL, DE not DB. I don't think anyone has suggested we should move him to defensive back...of course, He is 6'6" :kitten:

Hot damn thats a bad thought for a receiver going across the middle, Mario at SS

Blake
08-23-2011, 02:42 PM

I wasnt worried about his practice reports. I just go back and look at his gameday tape at AZ. As long as he uses proper technique this guy should be a sack machine.

Undrafted out of WVU. NOBODY heard of him. Flashed a couple of times, but probably wont make the roster. I would like to stash him on the practice squad.

This guy is a player all the way to his days at Michigan. If we can carry him then I would. If not I could see him getting an offer somewhere else.

Dude LOOKS like a WR. And with Jean getting nicked up I think he had a chance. AJ, JJ, Walter, Dickerson, Darling, Jean (On the Bubble)