PDA

View Full Version : Can I get a run defense?????

thunderkyss
08-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Has anyone seen what happened to our run D? & I'm not talking about just the NT. We're getting beat on the edges. We're getting beat up the middle. We're getting beat on the draw... & the screen......

Is there something we have coming up to make us believe it's going to get better?

DocBar
08-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Has anyone seen what happened to our run D? & I'm not talking about just the NT. We're getting beat on the edges. We're getting beat up the middle. We're getting beat on the draw... & the screen......

Is there something we have coming up to make us believe it's going to get better?Did you mean to post this on a sAints forum? :kitten:

The Pencil Neck
08-20-2011, 10:25 PM

Is there something we have coming up to make us believe it's going to get better?

I thought it was a little better today than it was on Monday. So that's a plus.

Hopefully, it just needs a little time. Like one more week.

DocBar
08-20-2011, 10:27 PM
I thought it was a little better today than it was on Monday. So that's a plus.

Hopefully, it just needs a little time. Like one more week.You have to figure in the equation that last week was the Jets. they WILL run the ball. Period. That's just how Fatboy Ryan is.

fiasco west
08-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Nope, but you can get a turnover.

Seriously though our Run D always takes a hit when Demeco is not in there, he just makes it all better.

Norg
08-20-2011, 11:00 PM
i think this 3-4 hybrid isnt quite right yet when it comes to Run D

nytexan
08-20-2011, 11:15 PM
i think this 3-4 hybrid isnt quite right yet when it comes to Run D

Well there are 2 issues, 1 is the Saints have possibly the best interior OL, GCG, combo in football. 2 it appears to me that with this new defense they're still trying to figure out their gap assignments. Sounds easy but if 1 guy is out of place there appears to be a giant gap in the front 7.

From the little I could see they weren't getting blown off the ball as you would normally think when the other team is running the ball well. Which normally means this is very correctable by coaching and taking more reps. This could be an issue for longer than we would hope unless Cushing and Ryans (yes he does have an S in his name) start to get some reps together.

Rey
08-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Texans are playing a penetrating style 34 without an anchor in the middle.

A big space eating guy would absolutely help, but the guys we have can get it done although it will require a unique effort. If Mitchell can hold the middle down he will have a pro bowl season easily.

If the texans can find a big guy that can hold the point of attack our short yardage d will be better.

I think Earl and Cody will make some plays there, but I wonder about their consistency. Become consistent there or find a big guy you can rotate in there to do it and our d will be very very good.

BullNation4Life
08-20-2011, 11:28 PM
From what I was seeing, it wasn't just the NT, it was the LBs not stepping up int he hole and making the play. The NTs were drawing doubles but I didn't see the MLBs hitting the hole and stopping the run...

Hopefully when DeMeco comes back and Cushing can get a handle on this or the run defense will be the problem of 2011...

fiasco west
08-20-2011, 11:31 PM
I did hear Cushing's name tonight, I remember him making a play but unfortunately I don't remember what it is he did.

Norg
08-20-2011, 11:37 PM
i wish we had a Fat albert type NT along with COdy just to go in there on run plays

badboy
08-20-2011, 11:47 PM
I think the focus has been on stopping the passing devastation. The DBs are incrementally better and the front 7 are disrupting the QB and those were targets one and two in any order you choose. There was minimal yardage against us if I tallied correctly and no long rushing TDs. That is success in my book. The run D will improve.

Corrosion
08-20-2011, 11:51 PM

I got the idea that they were too concerned with the pass and were overly aggressive which lead to open holes to run thru .... They werent getting beat physically .... it was overaggressiveness and the best way to beat an aggressive defense is with draws and screens.

leebigeztx
08-21-2011, 12:32 AM
Cody and mitchell are killing the lbs. They're getting turned or straight moved out the hole and its allowing the others to be accounted for. Hopefully wade is telling jamal to stay in shape for after week 1.

TdotTexas2Step
08-21-2011, 12:39 AM
I'm glad others feel this is a concern regardless of our excellent preseason play. I felt like on that first drive, the Saints could have marched all the way to the endzone if they had ran the ball every play. They had a couple of successful runs that we couldn't do anything about. And then on a pass play, we were able to get pressure and force a turnover.

I don't want to take anything away from both the defense and offense today, especially during the first half, but hopefully our boys work some stuff out regarding the run defence.

The Pencil Neck
08-21-2011, 12:55 AM
I'm glad others feel this is a concern regardless of our excellent preseason play. I felt like on that first drive, the Saints could have marched all the way to the endzone if they have ran the ball every play. They had a couple of successful runs that we couldn't do anything about. And then on a pass play, we were able to get pressure and force a turnover.

I don't want to take anything away from both the defense and offense today, especially during the first half, but hopefully our boys work some stuff out regarding the run defence.

This has been my biggest fear when hearing about this defense and how they planned to construct it. I know the idea is for our NT to shade on the center and operate more like a penetrating DT but still, it worries me. I'm not concerned about offensive coordinators trying to scheme to force Mario into coverage very much but I am concerned about our interior defense against the run.

coon
08-21-2011, 01:01 AM
anyone know where i can watch the game online for free

Kimmy
08-21-2011, 01:04 AM
anyone know where i can watch the game online for free

Games over dude! We won :) BTW - NFL Network will be replaying the game. Not sure of the date/time, check the website

thunderkyss
08-21-2011, 02:28 AM
i wish we had a Fat albert type NT along with COdy just to go in there on run plays

Did you happen to notice the fat albert type in the middle of the Saints line?

Niether did anyone else.

On second thoughts maybe we should dress Studdard up for defense when he gets healthy enough.

SteveSlaton20
08-21-2011, 02:42 AM
Games over dude! We won :) BTW - NFL Network will be replaying the game. Not sure of the date/time, check the website

speaking of the nfl network...why the hell did they black out the NFL network during the game? pissed me off.

thunderkyss
08-21-2011, 02:49 AM
speaking of the nfl network...why the hell did they black out the NFL network during the game? pissed me off.

Because the national cable channel is not supposed to be in direct competition of the local broadcast.

SteveSlaton20
08-21-2011, 02:57 AM
Because the national cable channel is not supposed to be in direct competition of the local broadcast.

but they showed the game on espn(monday game of course)...

Wolf6151
08-21-2011, 04:47 AM
I'm hoping that when teams start making cuts we'll pick up some of players and possibly let Cody go, he's far to expensive and ineffective to play 3-4 NT for us. Losing Cody would free up alot of money and along with Slaton maybe we can trade for someone good or pick up a FA. Mitchell is depth but shouldn't be a 3-4 NT starter.

BullsOnParade
08-21-2011, 06:08 AM
I'm worried about the runs up the middle, and I don't think the pass defense is miraculously better. But with that said, I think it has improved enough to get us in the playoffs.

Sure would be nice if the Texans can continue to get on the board first in the regular season.

MojoMan
08-21-2011, 07:11 AM
The Texan's defense gave up 14 points and 331 total yards last night, including 113 yards rushing (4.2 yards per carry). This clearly leaves room for improvement, but it is hardly a disaster. In fact last season we would have regarded a performance like the one last night against the Saints as quite an achievement.

We need to give these guys a few more weeks to get everyone healthy and on the same page with the new defensive scheme. Their performance can't possibly have peaked after two preseason games. They will continue to improve.

ESPN Box Score (http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=310820034)

Pantherstang84
08-21-2011, 08:13 AM
but they showed the game on espn(monday game of course)...

That is because ESPN had the rights to that game as they do all Monday Night Games.

KTRK has the local rights to the rest of the preseason games. Therefore, NFLN has to black their broadcast out in the Houston market.

CloakNNNdagger
08-21-2011, 08:54 AM

Just wanted to comment on this observation. It appeared that the Saints' runs around the edges and successful screen passes came about during over-pursuit by the D.

hradhak
08-21-2011, 08:56 AM
I'm less worried about the run defense than I was last week. The Saints have a very good offense and we're not going to shut everyone down on every play. I was a little worried that our poor tackling seems to be carrying over and there's no excuse for that. The players will learn their gaps with more reps, but if they can't wrap up guys and bring em down, we have a bigger problem

Errant Hothy
08-21-2011, 09:06 AM
I got the idea that they were too concerned with the pass and were overly aggressive which lead to open holes to run thru .... They werent getting beat physically .... it was overaggressiveness and the best way to beat an aggressive defense is with draws and screens.

This. Several guys have run themselves past the play, we were getting killed on delays. I'm also not convinced that guys were maintain their gap assignments.

Better than last year? Yes. Good enough to make the playoffs? Don't think so yet.

DocBar
09-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread for this: LINK (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/09/12/re-focused-colts-texans-week-1/)
2) Work to do in run defense
The report card for this victory would be largely positive but there were still questions to be asked for the Texans, notably in run defense were certain players struggled. Shaun Cody has never filled us with much confidence as a 4-3 DT and we questioned his projection as a starting NT in a 3-4. He didnít put in exactly a vintage performance in this encounter to put those doubts to rest. Against a none too potent Colts running game he put up a run defense grade of -1.6 and was rather easily controlled on a few inside runs. With neither of the Houston inside linebackers providing a great deal of beef if Cody continues to be easily controlled by single team blocks the spine of the Texans defense could become a real weakness I had the feeling, during the game, that we were doing the Colts thing and making them get away from the one area they were doing OK at: running the ball. They weren't world beaters at it, but we did let a poor running team average over 4 ypc.