PDA

View Full Version : A LeSTAR (Jean) is born

EllisUnit
08-18-2011, 09:09 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/A-Lestar-Jean-is-born/bb437a53-8ce5-4628-9ff6-2543889a8bdf

didnt see this posted, i liked the article.

It took Lestar Jean’s mother two attempts to get her infant son’s birth certificate properly recorded.

“The people doing my birth certificate thought it was an error,” said Jean, whose first name is pronounced Leh-STAR. “My mom had to send it back in.”

Jump forward a couple of decades, and we find Jean trying to convince the Texans they didn’t make a mistake when they signed him to a free agent contract after the end of the NFL lockout.

He’s no longer just a number after two weeks at the Texans training camp. He’s caught the eye of coach Gary Kubiak in practice and had a couple of fancy catches for 53 yards in Saturday’ 20-16 preseason victory over the New York Jets.

It was enough to get Jean more playing time for Saturday’s preseason game at Reliant Stadium against the New Orleans Saints.

“He’s done good, and his reps have picked up,” Kubiak said on Thursday. “He’s going to play more in the game. More of a load came at him today, but he handled it good.”

Jean grew up in Florida and played football at Florida Atlantic, where he earned a degree last December in criminal justice. He’d make an impressive law enforcement officer at a muscular 6-3, 216.

Still, he’d prefer a long career with the Texans.

“I just come to work and try to do enough that they’ll want to keep me,” Jean said.

Life is tough for a street free agent, and especially this year because of the lengthy lockout period that forced Jean and other undrafted players to wait five months before finding a team and a hope.

“It was a long wait,” he said. “I was just working out hoping a team would pick me up. That got kind of boring. I just wanted to play football and compete. I kept working out and staying in shape.”

After the lockout ended, seven pro teams – the Texans, Ravens, Vikings, Bills, Packers and Dolphins – inquired about signing Jean. He decided his best shot was with the Texans.

“They told me they were only going to sign two other receivers, and the others were signing nine or 10,” Jean said. “They were honest with me, and I felt I had the best opportunity here.”

Jean is still fighting a numbers game to catch on with the Texans. There are 11 wide receivers in camp.

He has improved his chances of at least a spot of the practice squad.

“He’s making some strides,” wide receivers coach Larry Kirksey said. “He’s had a lot to learn in two weeks, and then he goes out the other night and makes some plays. He’s got a good head on his shoulders and he’s got some athletic ability. He does a nice job adjusting to the ball.

“He has some skill, but he has a way to go. He’s learning on the run. So far, he’s done a nice job, and we need to see him improve in the next ballgame.”

On the heels of his eyebrow-raising performance on Monday, Jean at least has fans and media scrambling for the pronunciation guide to find out who was making those big catches against the Jets.

“I felt good about it,” Jean said. “I was ready. I’ve been working every day. I wasn’t surprised. I want to keep doing it so they’ll keep me around. In college, I helped my team by making big plays. I just go play and make plays to help my team win.

“It’s a blessing, to come from where I came from to get to this spot, it’s a blessing.”

What Kubiak hasn’t seen with his own eyes, Texans defensive backs have told him.

"He’s a big-body kid, and I’ve had some of the DBs come over to me and say, ‘Hey, Coach, that guy is tough to handle,’” Kubiak said. “He’s got a lot of ability. He’s got that big body. There’s going to be two young receivers on this team, so it’ll be interesting to see who they are.”

Jean could become another diamond in the rough unearthed by general manager Rick Smith.

“I told the guys you only get a certain amount of draft picks, so you have to have all those guys evaluated and ranked,” Smith said. “We just felt good about his ability, and he’s come in and done a nice job.

“In the salary cap era and the free agency era, it’s important to find players that aren’t your high draft picks that are able to come in and are capable of making an impact on your team. That’s how you round out a solid roster.”

The Texans opened with five wide receivers last season, and Jean has plenty of competition ahead of him to join that group. Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter and Jacoby Jones are locks. Dorin Dickerson leads the rest of the pack that includes Jean, Derrick Townsel, Terrence Toliver and Jeff Maehl.

Meaningless preseason games? Not to Jean and the others.

“I’m just trying to do something to make them want to keep me around,” Jean said.

Corrosion
08-18-2011, 09:15 PM
Learn to spell .... Its LeStar Jean. :vincepalm:

Edit: I just love givin you a hard time :chickendance:

EllisUnit
08-18-2011, 09:18 PM

i'm lucky i spelled that right i'm out of town on a lap top and everytime i look up the cursor moves and i am typing in the middle of an already typed sentence haha oh well

TdotTexas2Step
08-18-2011, 10:21 PM
I think we have to realistically temper our expectations.

Reports were coming out that Mario was unstoppable because now he could pick up some steam with a running head start, yet he (in some people's mind) failed to show anything of substance against NY

Then you have the rook Harris who also had rave reviews and also didn't look too spectacular in the first game.

However, the logical thing to do is remember that it's only one game, and in Mario's case - only a minimum number of snaps - and the fact that they haven't had much time to learn. Who knows, maybe in the next game, Mario gets a couple of sacks while Harris gets a pick. We should keep the big picture in mind in regards to personnel.

The flipside applies to Jean. He had a nice game against the Jets, but if he struggles this week, we can't all jump off the bandwagon.

Rey
08-18-2011, 10:43 PM

Yeah.

A LeSTAR is born kinda sounds better.

LoL.

Lucky
08-18-2011, 11:33 PM
The flipside applies to Jean. He had a nice game against the Jets, but if he struggles this week, we can't all jump off the bandwagon.
I think this is a case of seeing Jean make noise during camp, then back it up under the lights. Yes, Lestar's playing against guys who are likely to be cut. But, the talent is undeniably there. I'd venture that if Jean had been a 2nd or 3rd round pick, he would be getting even more hype than garnered thus far.

EllisUnit
08-18-2011, 11:35 PM
I think this is a case of seeing Jean make noise during camp, then back it up under the lights. Yes, Lestar's playing against guys who are likely to be cut. But, the talent is undeniably there. I'd venture that if Jean had been a 2nd or 3rd round pick, he would be getting even more hype than garnered thus far.

yeah i wonder why he was undrafted though. i mean we all see the talent so how come noone else saw it ?

Lucky
08-18-2011, 11:53 PM
yeah i wonder why he was undrafted though. i mean we all see the talent so how come noone else saw it ?
I think Jean is a classic late bloomer. He didn't start until his junior year at a small non-BCS school. Lestar didn't put up good numbers until his senior season. And his combine and pro day numbers were so-so. Put it together, and Jean had the resume of a late pick/free agent. Now, he's showing that he may be more.

The Pencil Neck
08-19-2011, 12:49 AM

Small school talent. He's basically another flavor of Jacoby Jones except much, much slower. He only ran 4.59 at the combine and for a small school guy, that's not going to cut it.

The question was going to be whether he could even play with the big boys.

EllisUnit
08-19-2011, 12:53 AM
Small school talent. He's basically another flavor of Jacoby Jones except much, much slower. He only ran 4.59 at the combine and for a small school guy, that's not going to cut it.

he dont really look slow, of course i havent seen him against a 1st string defense

76Texan
08-19-2011, 01:19 AM
he dont really look slow, of course i havent seen him against a 1st string defense

Like I've said in another thread, Jean was a very lean WR at the beginning of the year.
In an earlier game (either week 1 or 2) he was very lanky and looks the part of his listed weigth at the time (195 something).
At the time, he was reported to run around 4.5

He put in more weight at the combine (can't remember the number of the top of my head) and ran a 4.9 like TPN said.

His strong suite is the catch over the shoulder, and if he can't be ahead of the DB, it can't materialize.

So either he needs to train to regain his speed or he needs to learn to get the ball in different ways better than he showed in college.

If he can do both, we've got ourselves a diamond in the rough.

beerlover
08-19-2011, 01:29 AM
It takes a physically gifted positional athlete to be a one or two. Helps if your work ethic exceeds expectations, your coachable, willing to do whatever is asked & durable. However you want to say his name Jean is a lean mean catching machine.

SAMURAITEXAN
08-19-2011, 02:47 AM
Like I've said in another thread, Jean was a very lean WR at the beginning of the year.
In an earlier game (either week 1 or 2) he was very lanky and looks the part of his listed weigth at the time (195 something).
At the time, he was reported to run around 4.5

He put in more weight at the combine (can't remember the number of the top of my head) and ran a 4.9 like TPN said.

His strong suite is the catch over the shoulder, and if he can't be ahead of the DB, it can't materialize.

So either he needs to train to regain his speed or he needs to learn to get the ball in different ways better than he showed in college.

If he can do both, we've got ourselves a diamond in the rough.

Yeah if he can do both, can you imagine one side AJ and other side Jean and Walter they all over 6'3" not to mention JJ and Dickerson are both over 6'2"(listed 6'4" but his like 6'2" right?)! That is one tall WRs.

Go Texans!!!

Rey
08-19-2011, 07:54 AM
Jeans field speed is faster than his forty indicates and he has made plays against all kinds of competition.

He also takes good angles on the field.

GuerillaBlack
08-19-2011, 08:02 AM
What's the best comparison to Jean? Late bloomer like Miles Austin?

drs23
08-19-2011, 10:05 AM
As noted Jean is perhaps a 1/4 step slower than Jacoby but the difference being LeStar Jean CATCHES everything thrown even close to him. That's the common remark made about him. He CATCHES the ball most every time. Big difference IMO.

spurstexanstros
08-19-2011, 11:47 AM
:kubepalm: to the bad pun of a thread

I did like the guy from what I saw, I liked how on the slants he reached out and grabbed the ball instead of waiting for it to get to body. I think catching it like that makes it harder for dbs to poke it out like they do when WR waits till it gets into the body.

i like em the more Wideouts the merrier.

Corrosion
08-19-2011, 01:26 PM

Speed isnt everything ... Route running , making crisp cuts gaining seperation , good hands , proper technique attacking the ball at its highest point and body control can all be as critical if not moreso than straight line speed.

Some guy's are great athletes , some are football players .... This cat is a football player.
Sure , the really great players are both top flight athletes and have that football player in them too ....

Lucky
08-19-2011, 07:10 PM
What's the best comparison to Jean? Late bloomer like Miles Austin?
I was thinking Pierre Garcon, but Austin might be a better example.

False Start
08-19-2011, 07:14 PM
I hope this kid turns out to be a steal, him along with AJ, Dorin, Walter, and JJ (I guess) could be like the old Oilers Run and Shoot WR group back in the day. :texflag:

drs23
08-19-2011, 08:22 PM
I hope this kid turns out to be a steal, him along with AJ, Dorin, Walter, and JJ (I guess) could be like the old Oilers Run and Shoot WR group back in the day. :texflag:

And this one will be able to get it done in the Red Zone.

Go Texans!

Maddict5
05-07-2012, 06:01 PM
was looking up highlights of our new wrs and this came up as a related vid. dont remember seeing it last yr but, couped with his strong performances in preseason last yr, make me think hes gonna be the guy to beat at #2 for us this yr. hope the rooks are ready because if hes all recovered from his shoulder injury, we might have another udfa stud on our roster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w3iWbKxEX4&feature=related

edit: also at 59 secs into that video- lestar = original tebowning creator? :)

drs23
05-07-2012, 09:12 PM
was looking up highlights of our new wrs and this came up as a related vid. dont remember seeing it last yr but, couped with his strong performances in preseason last yr, make me think hes gonna be the guy to beat at #2 for us this yr. hope the rooks are ready because if hes all recovered from his shoulder injury, we might have another udfa stud on our roster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w3iWbKxEX4&feature=related

edit: also at 59 secs into that video- lestar = original tebowning creator? :)

Yeah, if it was real in the first place. The man in a baller. ALL HANDS catches, away from his body just like he did in PS last season. Have no way of proving, but personally I think he was a stash. If the team would have released him outright LeStar (or is that Lester, like the vid heading? :D)would have been gone, I think.

C'mon OTAs and Pre Season already!

:gotexans1:

Rey
05-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Man, Jean looks beautiful in those clips. I remember watching them last year and for some reason they look even better now.

I think he easily makes the roster and pushes for playing time.

I think we may end up carrying 6 or 7 receivers. I think if these guys step up Walter may be a surprise cut. There is talent at that wr position. Going to be tough for the fringe guys to make it.

Going to be some really tough cuts all over the place.

badboy
05-07-2012, 10:34 PM
I can remember the excitement I had thinking Dorin was going to do so well.

Rey
05-07-2012, 10:40 PM

I liked dorin too. But he was going through a position change and never really developed the skills needed at wr.

GP
05-07-2012, 10:55 PM
He broke that dude's ankles off at the :49 spot of that video. The guy had to have ankle replacement surgery, from what I understand.

I been saying this guy is the bizness for a long time. He will make the team. He will be on the field. What I really like is that he wants to be LeStar Jean and not the next Andre Johnson. If you catch my drift.

The Pencil Neck
05-07-2012, 11:00 PM
I liked dorin too. But he was going through a position change and never really developed the skills needed at wr.

Remember that crazy 1-handed catch he made in the pre-season.

I thought we'd gotten a steal there.

Rey
05-07-2012, 11:08 PM
He broke that dude's ankles off at the :49 spot of that video. The guy had to have ankle replacement surgery, from what I understand.

I been saying this guy is the bizness for a long time. He will make the team. He will be on the field. What I really like is that he wants to be LeStar Jean and not the next Andre Johnson. If you catch my drift.

His route running is nice. Really nice. Not the fastest, but it looks like he understands how to stack db's and use his body to shield them.

And he's a hands catcher. Attacks the ball.

I'm excited about what this kid can do.

Rey
05-07-2012, 11:11 PM
Remember that crazy 1-handed catch he made in the pre-season.

I thought we'd gotten a steal there.

Yep. I remember.

But it seemed like that was the only route he could run as a wr.

But truth be told, towards the end of last season dorin probably could have been an asset out there. We were hurtin pretty bad at receiver.

I wonder if maybe his stamina and weight wasn't where the texans wanted it to be.

SW H-TOWN
05-08-2012, 01:54 AM
I'm going to make a prediction and say that Lestar Jean will be the starting #2 WR when the season starts barring injury. Guy just looks better than Walter. Kubiak also seems to get a semi when he talks about him.

GP
05-08-2012, 01:58 AM
His route running is nice. Really nice. Not the fastest, but it looks like he understands how to stack db's and use his body to shield them.

And he's a hands catcher. Attacks the ball.

I'm excited about what this kid can do.

Yeah man, I dig it. He never really tips off the DBs where he's going with his route. He hides his intentions really well, then makes his move and crosses up the DB at just the right moment to where he creates separation...which is that "field speed" you were talking about in an earlier post.

HJam72
05-08-2012, 06:43 AM
Don't know if he beats out Walter by season start, but I bet he makes an impression and takes #2 by seasons end.

Playoffs
05-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Lestar Jean healthy, eager to prove himself
Nick Scurfield May 10, 2012 (http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/05/10/lestar-jean-healthy-eager-to-prove-himself/)

One of the more promising young players of the Texans’ 2011 offseason was wide receiver Lestar Jean (pronounced leh-STAR JEEN), an undrafted rookie from Florida Atlantic.

Jean (6-3, 205), who ran a 4.52 40-yard dash at his college pro day, turned heads in training camp with acrobatic catches on a seemingly daily basis. He turned more heads with a solid preseason opener against the New York Jets.
Then, Jean injured his left shoulder in the second preseason game against New Orleans. Just like that, his rookie season was over before it even started. He was placed on injured reserve on Aug. 30.

“It was very disappointing,” Jean said on Thursday. “I’ve never been hurt before. I never really had to go through that, and it was very disappointing. You know, I didn’t get drafted, and I felt like I should’ve been a player who got drafted, and then I had to wait for the whole lockout to be over, and then when I finally got back to play football, I was doing good and then I got hurt. So it was just one of those situations where it’s like, ‘What did I do to deserve this?’ It was just a very hard time for me.”

During his lost season, Jean came to Reliant Stadium daily at 6 a.m. for rehab, followed by team meetings. It was monotonous, but he said it was important to him to stay involved even though he wasn’t playing...

read more: http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/05/10/lestar-jean-healthy-eager-to-prove-himself/

drs23
05-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Lestar Jean healthy, eager to prove himself
Nick Scurfield May 10, 2012 (http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/05/10/lestar-jean-healthy-eager-to-prove-himself/)

One of the more promising young players of the Texans’ 2011 offseason was wide receiver Lestar Jean (pronounced leh-STAR JEEN), an undrafted rookie from Florida Atlantic.

Jean (6-3, 205), who ran a 4.52 40-yard dash at his college pro day, turned heads in training camp with acrobatic catches on a seemingly daily basis. He turned more heads with a solid preseason opener against the New York Jets.
Then, Jean injured his left shoulder in the second preseason game against New Orleans. Just like that, his rookie season was over before it even started. He was placed on injured reserve on Aug. 30.

“It was very disappointing,” Jean said on Thursday. “I’ve never been hurt before. I never really had to go through that, and it was very disappointing. You know, I didn’t get drafted, and I felt like I should’ve been a player who got drafted, and then I had to wait for the whole lockout to be over, and then when I finally got back to play football, I was doing good and then I got hurt. So it was just one of those situations where it’s like, ‘What did I do to deserve this?’ It was just a very hard time for me.”

During his lost season, Jean came to Reliant Stadium daily at 6 a.m. for rehab, followed by team meetings. It was monotonous, but he said it was important to him to stay involved even though he wasn’t playing...

read more: http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/05/10/lestar-jean-healthy-eager-to-prove-himself/

Gotta love LeStar's attitude. He's saying all the right things and was producing before his injury. Can't wait to see him on the field this season!

Rey
05-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Gotta love LeStar's attitude. He's saying all the right things and was producing before his injury. Can't wait to see him on the field this season!

More than saying the right things he seems to be doing the right things.

I'm with you. I want to see him in action.

Texan in Japan
05-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Don't know if he beats out Walter by season start, but I bet he makes an impression and takes #2 by seasons end.

Agree. I think he'll do well in preseason, but Kubiak is VERY slow to change and gives vets a lot of leeway. KW regressed last year and if he doesn't pick it up he'll have Lestar making a case to start.

I wonder what kind of blocker he is?

GP
05-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Dude could be our WR version of Arian Foster...Ben Tate style.

Foster was undrafted, Tate got I.R.'d after a preseason game injury.

This guy could be the heir to the throne if things go the way I think.

Corrosion
05-11-2012, 05:56 PM

Ugh , what a letdown that was .... :gun:

TimeKiller
05-12-2012, 01:00 PM
They should've tried Dickerson at H-back or FB instead of splitting him out wide.

dream_team
05-12-2012, 01:35 PM
All of this hype for an unproven, small college, wide receiver because of his pre-season performance sounds eerily familiar?

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41272

TejasTom
05-12-2012, 03:04 PM
All of this hype for an unproven, small college, wide receiver because of his pre-season performance sounds eerily familiar?

What a buzz kill.

drs23
05-12-2012, 04:26 PM
What a buzz kill.

x 2. Really. I think someone is going to be surprised. Kubiak talks highly of him. Not just coach speak but making a point to point him out as someone he fully expects to step up.

Not thinking about Jacoby but the "seventh round steal" Dorin Dickerson. He looked very athletic and made highlight one handed plays in PS then just faded away.

Guess we'll find out all at the same time.

VTexan
05-12-2012, 04:30 PM

http://imageftw.com/uploads/20120512/1329798725631.gif

Ryan
05-12-2012, 05:05 PM

Dear god, i can't believe i was part of the jacoby hype train :kubepalm:

Playoffs
05-21-2012, 04:31 PM
“He dropped a couple of balls today,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said after practice on Monday. “You know, he’s got an excellent opportunity. He’s working as a starter right now in OTAs, so what an opportunity for him as a player, and it’ll be interesting to see how far he comes.”

http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/05/21/with-andre-johnson-out-lestar-jean-getting-starter-reps/

GP
05-21-2012, 04:35 PM
I never thought Dorin Dickerson would pan out. Never bought it.

He played stiff. He reminds me of a lot of these TEs that teams take, and you think "Wow, look at their college highlights!" then they come to the NFL and they look lost. Dickerson had that look, IMO. Lost.

LeStar Jean is rusty. He's been out awhile. Once he dials in, finds his groove, he'll be back and will do really well.

Texans_Chick
05-21-2012, 08:58 PM
“He dropped a couple of balls today,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said after practice on Monday. “You know, he’s got an excellent opportunity. He’s working as a starter right now in OTAs, so what an opportunity for him as a player, and it’ll be interesting to see how far he comes.”

http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/05/21/with-andre-johnson-out-lestar-jean-getting-starter-reps/

He dropped a couple of balls he should have caught.

Also caught a real nice ball over the top that would have been a TD. (tho borderline offensive pass interference. maybe).

Texn4life
05-21-2012, 09:56 PM
I don't question Jean's hands one bit. I'm pretty sure those came from the excitement of getting back on the field and pressing. The key to him is being able to consistently get open and create seperation from the defender. If he can do that then he'll be just fine.

EllisUnit
05-22-2012, 09:03 PM

thats almost like ur mom pulling out the pics of u in the bath tub showing ur ghost pale white butt, to you GF of 2 weeks.

Luckly i wasnt here at that time.........

AnthonyE
05-22-2012, 09:28 PM

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/006/482/template.jpg

Texan_Bill
05-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Wait...... What?? Because Jacoby didn't "get it" after 5 years coming from a small school, some people want to drop the "small school" stigma on LeStar Jean???? That's incredibly stupid!!

Signed,

Jerry Rice, Mississippi Valley State;

Co-Signed,

Randy Moss
"WE are Marshall"

Co-signed,

Steve Largent
University of Tulsa

Co-signed,

Isaac Bruce
Memphis

Co-signed,

Terrell Owens
University of Tennessee Chatanooga

And so forth and so on.... Don't put Jacoby Jones on Jean and/or small school draft picks. RIDICULOUS!

TejasTom
05-30-2012, 07:53 AM
There is Andre Johnson. Then there is everyone else.

But Tuesday, Lestar Jean ran in Johnson’s footsteps as he streaked downfield past Johnathan Joseph and Danieal Manning for a long reception that was the biggest play in the pretend practice that is the Texans’ organized team activities.

Jean did the same thing in the team’s previous workout Thursday, leaving a couple of helpless defensive backs in his wake as he made a would-be touchdown grab.

All morning Tuesday, Jean was in Johnson’s spot in the formation while Johnson, who is recovering from minor knee surgery, watched the offseason workout. And Jean, who like Johnson is a Miami native, persistently has been in the perennial Pro Bowler’s ear.

“He’s always up on me,” Johnson said. “Asking me this, asking me that. Wondering how I do this, wondering how I do that.”

Jean, 24, was one of the training camp stars last summer before a shoulder injury put him on injured reserve for the season. But when given the opportunity, he lived up to his nickname “Big Play,” making impressive catches his norm. He had a couple of long catches in limited preseason action and made more in practice.

As University of Houston coach Tony Levine has been known to crack, there’s no question he was first-team all-shorts.

Read more at The Chronicle (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/05/solomon-texans-receiver-jean-could-do-worse-than-to-emulate-johnson/)

Rey
05-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Read more at The Chronicle (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/05/solomon-texans-receiver-jean-could-do-worse-than-to-emulate-johnson/)

Jean hasn’t wasted the chance. Some young receivers struggle to learn a position, let alone the offensive system. Not Jean.

“The kid has really put time in as far as preparing himself,” receivers coach Larry Kirksey said. “He has engulfed himself in the offense. He knows all three positions. His attention to detail is excellent.

“He’s got a ways to go, but so far we like what we see.”

Knowing all three positions should get Jean on the field sooner.

That is huge.

Barring injury, Jean will play this season and I expect him to play well.

Texn4life
05-30-2012, 06:37 PM
The more I hear about this kid the more I like. Its pretty crazy that we're likely to cut a pretty good talent this year at the Receiver position after a year when we were thin on the back end of our rotation. MSW doesn't wow me as a guy who can possibly step in a push for playing time, but there are some names who do. If TO wasn't such a head case I'd be pushing big time to bring him in.

Jean comes off as a kid who GETS IT. It's always refreshing to see a guy who understands where he's at and what he needs to do to get to where he wants to be.

aussie_texan
06-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Does anyone know where I can find highlights of the jets preseason game where jean had some nice catches. All the highlights I have found don't show his receptions

76Texan
06-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Does anyone know where I can find highlights of the jets preseason game where jean had some nice catches. All the highlights I have found don't show his receptions

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU9swqr_QMQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40W0MiWdxhY

aussie_texan
06-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Here you go:

thanks heaps mate

Playoffs
06-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Here you go:

Gotta love those!

GP
06-13-2012, 11:17 AM
I want to see the circus catch he made from Yates. It was like a crazy one handed grab while leaping about 30 feet into the air or something.

I wonder if I still have that jets game on my DVR...hmmm........

ChampionTexan
06-13-2012, 12:45 PM
I want to see the circus catch he made from Yates. It was like a crazy one handed grab while leaping about 30 feet into the air or something.

Jean only had two receptions in the Jets game (and all of last years preseason for that matter). Those two clips show both of them.

drs23
06-13-2012, 04:32 PM

GP, I think you may be thinking of Dorin Dickerson's leaping catch on the sidelines VS. the Bucs the PS prior.

Is this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf8pkmagg5c) the one you were talking about?

The Pencil Neck
06-13-2012, 05:28 PM
GP, I think you may be thinking of Dorin Dickerson's leaping catch on the sidelines VS. the Bucs the PS prior.

Is this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf8pkmagg5c) the one you were talking about?

That was the catch that made me think that Dorin was going to be a huge steal.

drs23
06-13-2012, 06:36 PM
That was the catch that made me think that Dorin was going to be a huge steal.

Likewise. Then he just up and quit the Steelers. Wonder if anyone's heard anything else about him?

ChampionTexan
06-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Likewise. Then he just up and quit the Steelers. Wonder if anyone's heard anything else about him?

He's currently on the 90 man roster for the Bills.

drs23
06-13-2012, 06:57 PM
He's currently on the 90 man roster for the Bills.

Cool CT, thanks for the update. Know if he's listed as WR or TE?

ChampionTexan
06-13-2012, 07:00 PM
cool ct, thanks for the update. Know if he's listed as wr or te?

wr. Listed at 6'2' 227lbs.

76Texan
07-23-2012, 09:17 AM

Here you go:

I found highlights of a couple of his catches over Aaron Williams (UT) who was drafted @ #34 by the Bills but forgot all about them.

Here they are, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mihM5auuXx0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=887AId4MLWA

EllisUnit
07-23-2012, 08:56 PM
I found highlights of a couple of his catches over Aaron Williams (UT) who was drafted @ #34 by the Bills but forgot all about them.

Here they are, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mihM5auuXx0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=887AId4MLWA

the boy def has the drive and potential. Plus the kind of personality that our coaches love. i see him as the #2 WR by seasons end

CloakNNNdagger
07-23-2012, 11:47 PM
I looked back throughout this thread and didn't see this video of Jean's 2010 highlights. Watching it makes me that more convinced that there is an excellent chance that we have found a true #2 WR that could slide into the #1 position if need be eventually.

VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuHECAj1iaM&feature=related)

Cutblock
07-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Watching that video, I liked the way he catches the ball in traffic and how he can adjust to underthrown balls. Seems to be a heady player. Sort of a young Kevin Walter.

CloakNNNdagger
07-24-2012, 06:24 PM
Watching that video, I liked the way he catches the ball in traffic and how he can adjust to underthrown balls. Seems to be a heady player. Sort of a young Kevin Walter.

After watching this young man's interview (below), I really have a great feeling..........really like him...........

............and once and for all, announcers need to learn the correct pronunciation of his name...............they all seem to mutilate it..............HEAR IT FROM HIS OWN MOUTH. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81cKL-dVsmA)

Doppelganger
07-24-2012, 08:01 PM
After watching this young man's interview (below), I really have a great feeling..........really like him...........

............and once and for all, announcers need to learn the correct pronunciation of his name...............they all seem to mutilate it..............HEAR IT FROM HIS OWN MOUTH. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81cKL-dVsmA)

You can really tell this kid LOVES football and wants to play. Didn't get recruited out of highschool, had to walk on at Central Florida, worked his way up the team, became a starter, went undrafted, and again working his way up the depth chart. A great example of what hard work, dedication, and a little humility will get you.

Even if he does not make it in football, this young man will be successful in life.

BIG TORO
08-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Any one hear a rumor that he quit. Some thing about personal issues? Hope it's just a rumor

IBleedTexans
08-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Any one hear a rumor that he quit. Some thing about personal issues? Hope it's just a rumor

Do you have a link to that sir? I've heard no such thing

Playoffs
08-02-2012, 10:57 PM
LZ is intimating that, others are not.

Kubiak on Jean: "Personal issue we’re dealing with, hopefully he’s back tomorrow.”

BIG TORO
08-02-2012, 10:57 PM
Do you have a link to that sir? I've heard no such thing

No it's tweeter rummor. Alan Burge made a comment on it.

ArlingtonTexan
08-02-2012, 10:58 PM

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Thursday-Camp-Practice/882908bf-d6c9-4d8a-8b1b-587874559cf5

(on WR Lestar Jean’s absence from practice) “He has an excused absence from me. Personal issue we’re dealing with, hopefully he’s back tomorrow.”

The Pencil Neck
08-02-2012, 11:06 PM

I mentioned this over in the training camp thread. Kubiak mentioned him as having an excused absence to deal with some personal issues.

I was wondering if there's something going on that's been messing with Lestar's concentration because the past couple of days there have been reports he's dropped some passes he should have made. I hope the kid's OK.

BIG TORO
08-02-2012, 11:07 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Thursday-Camp-Practice/882908bf-d6c9-4d8a-8b1b-587874559cf5

(on WR Lestar Jean’s absence from practice) “He has an excused absence from me. Personal issue we’re dealing with, hopefully he’s back tomorrow.”

Thanks for link, so I wonder whats going on? So people are just speculating at this point.

IBleedTexans
08-03-2012, 08:38 AM

Sports radio 610 just said Jean was the first one on the field , practicing with the jugs machine:fans::hurrah:

BIG TORO
08-03-2012, 08:43 AM
Sports radio 610 just said Jean was the first one on the field , practicing with the jugs machine:fans::hurrah:

Awesome! Thanks.

Playoffs
08-03-2012, 10:18 AM
P.D. Starr ‏@PHABMK6
TJ deep bomb to Jean. Big play. Nice play action. #Texans
Jean looks really good today. #Texans

The Pencil Neck
08-03-2012, 10:22 AM
That's a huge relief.

Texn4life
08-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Sounds like he needed a day to clear his head, take care of some other business, and get back re-focused. Anyone who's ever worked in a high pressure environment should know all about that. I know I do, and I've never had my every movement scrutinized by thousands of people. I'm pulling for this kid.

Ktexan68
08-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Glad he's back but needing a day off due to the pressure (if that's what it was), is not a good sign. :thinking:

Texn4life
08-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Glad he's back but needing a day off due to the pressure (if that's what it was), is not a good sign. :thinking:

Thats not what it says he was given a day off for. No one knows what was going on with him personally and its none our business. Kubiak obviously felt like it was important enough to give him an excused day off.

Texans_Chick
08-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Thats not what it says he was given a day off for. No one knows what was going on with him personally and its none our business. Kubiak obviously felt like it was important enough to give him an excused day off.

We really shouldn't speculate on why he was gone.

Sometimes a personal issue is just a personal issue. But he really did look sharp today.

The Pencil Neck
08-03-2012, 01:37 PM

I seriously doubt Kubiak would have given him an excused absence because he was feeling "pressure."

Texn4life
08-03-2012, 01:39 PM

Sometimes a personal issue is just a personal issue. But he really did look sharp today.

I feel the same way. Because these guys play football for a living doesn't mean they're not human and have lives outside of it. As long as he's not breaking the law I don't care what his personal issue was. Just glad he's rebounded from a lackluster 2 days.

ChampionTexan
08-03-2012, 03:13 PM

Yep - it's not all that unusual for players to need personal days off during TC (or the season for that matter). It's not ideal by any stretch, but sometimes it can't be avoided. The fact that it was an excused absence tells us nothing more than he appears to have gone about things the correct way.

Speculating or assuming the reason for his absence is moronic. I'm probably one of the biggest LZ fans on this board, but I was disappointed to see him tweeting about this in what I think was a very irresponsible manner.

GP
08-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Yep - it's not all that unusual for players to need personal days off during TC (or the season for that matter). It's not ideal by any stretch, but sometimes it can't be avoided. The fact that it was an excused absence tells us nothing more than he appears to have gone about things the correct way.

Speculating or assuming the reason for his absence is moronic. I'm probably one of the biggest LZ fans on this board, but I was disappointed to see him tweeting about this in what I think was a very irresponsible manner.

Agree 100%.

BCRich
08-04-2012, 03:34 PM

What's that mean?

"we're dealing with"

I'd expect him to say, "Personal issues he's dealing with he'll be back tomorrow."

But he says "we're" & "hopefully he'll be back tomorrow"

I don't like it.

BCRich
08-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Wow (http://www.texansbullpen.com/12photogallery/Preseason/2012-08-04-TrainingCamp/2012-08-04-TrainingCamp.htm)...
http://www.texansbullpen.com/12photogallery/Preseason/2012-08-04-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0301.JPG

http://www.texansbullpen.com/12photogallery/Preseason/2012-08-04-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0302.JPG

http://www.texansbullpen.com/12photogallery/Preseason/2012-08-04-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0303.JPG

http://www.texansbullpen.com/12photogallery/Preseason/2012-08-04-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0305.JPG

Now that's a great catch. McCain was all up in his koolaid..

TexansBull
08-04-2012, 04:17 PM
What's that mean?

"we're dealing with"

I'd expect him to say, "Personal issues he's dealing with he'll be back tomorrow."

But he says "we're" & "hopefully he'll be back tomorrow"

I don't like it.

Its coach talk. By saying "we" it becomes more of a team effort and" we are in this together" type of thing. The guy could be bi-polar or have some other mental issue like Brandon Marshall(don't mean to speculate but using it just for example) and Kubes is just trying to speak between the lines that everyone is supporting him, wants to see him well, and ultimately this is a team and not an individual sport. Saying "he has problems he has to deal with" kinda puts him on an island by himself and leads to more speculation. Stuff like that can go a long way to build camaraderie. That's how you hear stories about vets trying hard to see rookies do well and going out of their way to help someone that may replace them. I remember reading a story like that about the Texans in the past week.

TejasTom
08-04-2012, 04:29 PM
What's that mean?

"we're dealing with" .

Its coach talk. By saying "we" it becomes more of a team effort and" we are in this together" type of thing. The guy could be bi-polar or have some other mental issue like Brandon Marshall(don't mean to speculate but using it just for example) and Kubes is just trying to speak between the lines that everyone is supporting him, wants to see him well, and ultimately this is a team and not an individual sport. Saying "he has problems he has to deal with" kinda puts him on an island by himself and leads to more speculation. Stuff like that can go a long way to build camaraderie. That's how you hear stories about vets trying hard to see rookies do well and going out of their way to help someone that may replace them. I remember reading a story like that about the Texans in the past week.

I don't know about coach talk, but being supportive is the "Texan's way."
Yes, a few weeks ago Jonathan Joseph talked about how good the Texan's are about helping unlike his former team.

The Pencil Neck
08-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Wow (http://www.texansbullpen.com/12photogallery/Preseason/2012-08-04-TrainingCamp/2012-08-04-TrainingCamp.htm)...
http://www.texansbullpen.com/12photogallery/Preseason/2012-08-04-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0301.JPG

http://www.texansbullpen.com/12photogallery/Preseason/2012-08-04-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0302.JPG

http://www.texansbullpen.com/12photogallery/Preseason/2012-08-04-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0303.JPG

http://www.texansbullpen.com/12photogallery/Preseason/2012-08-04-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0305.JPG

Now that's a great catch. McCain was all up in his koolaid..

And I hope that puts to rest any "the pressure was too great" talk.

Corrosion
08-04-2012, 04:42 PM

Agree'd .... Personal issues could mean so many things .... Parking ticket ? Had the sh!ts ? .... Family member ill ? .... But some fans seem to get all worked up and dram up worst case scenario's of the meaning of "personal issues."

Ryan
08-04-2012, 06:15 PM
And I hope that puts to rest any "the pressure was too great" talk.

Not saying the pressure is too great for him, but if it was, I don't think making one catch would put an end to that.

The Medic01
08-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Not saying the pressure is too great for him, but if it was, I don't think making one catch would put an end to that.

Well ha has had two preetty great days in a row.

TexansBull
08-04-2012, 06:50 PM
I don't know about coach talk, but being supportive is the "Texan's way."
Yes, a few weeks ago Jonathan Joseph talked about how good the Texan's are about helping unlike his former team.

It was actually Mercilus I am referring to:

Outside linebacker Whitney Mercilus wasn’t sure how his veteran teammates would treat him as a rookie, saying he’d been led to believe it’s every man for himself in the NFL. But that has hardly been the case with the Texans.

“Coming into the league, I was hearing the stigma that veterans … won’t teach you anything,” the Texans’ top draft choice said. “It would be like, ‘You’re on your own. You just got to fend for yourself.’

“But here, it’s different. They just want to help us learn … this defense flawlessly so we can help them out during the season.”

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/08/veterans-treat%E2%80%A8mercilus-just-fine/

And I don't have to remind you that Kubiak likes involve himself in player mistakes/shortcomings with his "Its on me..." type of rhetoric to take the heat/media attention off of players after a game so I can see him trying to bubble wrap Lestar for whatever reason.

And it seems to work for the positive (currently) because this team seems to be "Team first.Me Second." type of group which is exactly what you want in a team.

The Pencil Neck
08-04-2012, 08:24 PM

It's not about one catch. It's about a couple of days of good production after a couple of days of bad production. The one catch is an example of other catches he's made the past couple of days.

Norg
08-05-2012, 02:00 AM
so is this guy going to make the team and help us do people got like Victor cruz expatiions for him or something cause thats just the vibe im getting ...like coming out of nowhere and becoming a viable player ???/

The Pencil Neck
08-05-2012, 04:20 AM
so is this guy going to make the team and help us do people got like Victor cruz expatiions for him or something cause thats just the vibe im getting ...like coming out of nowhere and becoming a viable player ???/

He showed flashes in pre-season last year of being a guy like that. But then he got injured and missed the season.

He could be a player for us.

But at this point, we're all grasping at straws hoping one of the young WRs will step up: Jean, Posey, Martin, Maehl, Iglesias, Jackson. Hell, even Holliday. We need one or two of those guys to step up in a very big way.

Jean could be the guy.

Texans_Chick
08-05-2012, 10:21 AM
He showed flashes in pre-season last year of being a guy like that. But then he got injured and missed the season.

He could be a player for us.

But at this point, we're all grasping at straws hoping one of the young WRs will step up: Jean, Posey, Martin, Maehl, Iglesias, Jackson. Hell, even Holliday. We need one or two of those guys to step up in a very big way.

Jean could be the guy.

Last two days of camp were good ones for him. A number of explosive plays. He's been showing up early to take work on Jugs machine.

BCRich
08-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Last two days of camp were good ones for him. A number of explosive plays. He's been showing up early to take work on Jugs machine.

I hope our personal problems were worked out ok