PDA

View Full Version : Texans' Tate said he will play against Saints

srrono
08-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Texans' Tate said he will play against Saints
By JOHN McCLAIN

Texans running back Ben Tate expects to play in the upcoming preseason game.

Share Del.icio.usDiggTwitterFacebookStumbleUponEmail Close [X]There was good news and bad news at the Texans' morning practice.

The good news is that running back Ben Tate was back on the field. He said he would play against New Orleans on Saturday night.

Coach Gary Kubiak said he hopes Tate can play against the Saints, but he'll wait to make a decision. He wants to make sure his second-year runner is 100 percent.

The bad news is that inside linebacker DeMeco Ryans sat out another practice because of a bruised elbow. In regular season, an elbow injury wouldn't keep Ryans out, but Saturday is the second preseason game.

Running back Arian Foster practiced for the second day in a row. Cornerback Johnathan Joseph, who suffered a groin injury last week, returned to practice.

Kubiak plans to play many of his starters the first two quarters.

Quarterback Matt Schaub looked good in practice. He completed six long passes. Andre Johnson made a highlight catch, the kind he's known for. He'll play for the first time on Saturday.

Rookie receiver Lestar Jean, an undrafted free agent from Florida Atlantic, had another good practice. He caught almost everything thrown to him and continued to improve as a blocker.

After practice, Kubiak praised a lot of players, including inside linebackers Xavier Adibi and Darryl Sharpton. The Texans went to camp looking for depth at linebacker. With Adibi, who is much more physical than in the past, and Sharpton on the inside and Brooks Reed and Jesse Nading on the outside, the Texans may be developing some quality depth.

And that doesn't even count Bryan Braman, the 6-5, 230-pound undrafted free agent from West Texas A&M. He had 1 1/2 sacks off the bench in the victory over the Jets. Braman, who is quite a character off the field, has a chance to make the team at best and the practice squad at worst.

The Texans have a special teams practice this afternoon. It's the last of two-a-day drills. Camp officially ends Monday. The first roster reduction is after the third game against San Francisco.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7702734.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Fhoustontex ansfootball+%28HoustonChronicle.com+--+Houston+Texans+Football%29

jaayteetx
08-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Cushing doesn't return to his rookie form, he may find himself on the bench...or eventually cut.

Cjeremy635
08-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Texans' Tate said he will play against Saints
By JOHN McCLAIN

Texans running back Ben Tate expects to play in the upcoming preseason game.

Share Del.icio.usDiggTwitterFacebookStumbleUponEmail Close [X]There was good news and bad news at the Texans' morning practice.

The good news is that running back Ben Tate was back on the field. He said he would play against New Orleans on Saturday night.

Coach Gary Kubiak said he hopes Tate can play against the Saints, but he'll wait to make a decision. He wants to make sure his second-year runner is 100 percent.

The bad news is that inside linebacker DeMeco Ryans sat out another practice because of a bruised elbow. In regular season, an elbow injury wouldn't keep Ryans out, but Saturday is the second preseason game.

Running back Arian Foster practiced for the second day in a row. Cornerback Johnathan Joseph, who suffered a groin injury last week, returned to practice.

Kubiak plans to play many of his starters the first two quarters.

Quarterback Matt Schaub looked good in practice. He completed six long passes. Andre Johnson made a highlight catch, the kind he's known for. He'll play for the first time on Saturday.

Rookie receiver Lestar Jean, an undrafted free agent from Florida Atlantic, had another good practice. He caught almost everything thrown to him and continued to improve as a blocker.

After practice, Kubiak praised a lot of players, including inside linebackers Xavier Adibi and Darryl Sharpton. The Texans went to camp looking for depth at linebacker. With Adibi, who is much more physical than in the past, and Sharpton on the inside and Brooks Reed and Jesse Nading on the outside, the Texans may be developing some quality depth.

And that doesn't even count Bryan Braman, the 6-5, 230-pound undrafted free agent from West Texas A&M. He had 1 1/2 sacks off the bench in the victory over the Jets. Braman, who is quite a character off the field, has a chance to make the team at best and the practice squad at worst.

The Texans have a special teams practice this afternoon. It's the last of two-a-day drills. Camp officially ends Monday. The first roster reduction is after the third game against San Francisco.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7702734.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Fhoustontex ansfootball+%28HoustonChronicle.com+--+Houston+Texans+Football%29

This is really good news. I thought he played well enough the other night to earn some additional reps and hopefully he'll make the best out of his opportunities. Good for him.

gtexan02
08-18-2011, 12:55 PM
No mention of Studdard or Caldwell. Any updates on either?

Cjeremy635
08-18-2011, 12:56 PM
No mention of Studdard or Caldwell. Any updates on either?

I would guess that Studdard is going to miss some significant time, but I could be wrong. I think his knee was injured, IIRC.

gtexan02
08-18-2011, 12:58 PM
I would guess that Studdard is going to miss some significant time, but I could be wrong. I think his knee was injured, IIRC.

Ankle I believe. I've heard "weeks" to "season"
You'd think there'd be some updates this far after the injury

CloakNNNdagger
08-18-2011, 01:02 PM

Both at least high ankle sprains. Studdard likely more. They should know the extent of Studdard's by now (MRI), but silence only.

GP
08-18-2011, 01:33 PM
If Braman continues to perform well, he won't make it to our PS.

This is where the coaches have got to know who would sneak onto the PS after waivers clear, and which players have to make the 53-man roster.

Braman and Jean, if they continue to go as steady as they did in Game 1, won't make it to our PS.

I also want to point out that WTAMU plays a 3-4 style of defense...so that means Braman knows how to function in it.

Cjeremy635
08-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Ankle I believe. I've heard "weeks" to "season"
You'd think there'd be some updates this far after the injury

OK, my mistake. All I really remember about Studdard getting injured was when he pushed the trainers away from him when they tried to help him off of the field. I never gave it much thought after that.

Just curious, but is this guys always hurt or do we just not dress him on game days? It seems like I always see him on the sideline during the games and he's in regular clothes, not a uni. Anyone else notice this? It may not be "every game", but it seems like I've seen it enough to make a mental note of it.

HOU-TEX
08-18-2011, 02:07 PM
OK, my mistake. All I really remember about Studdard getting injured was when he pushed the trainers away from him when they tried to help him off of the field. I never gave it much thought after that.

Just curious, but is this guys always hurt or do we just not dress him on game days? It seems like I always see him on the sideline during the games and he's in regular clothes, not a uni. Anyone else notice this? It may not be "every game", but it seems like I've seen it enough to make a mental note of it.

He's inactive a lot, not being a part of the 48 on gameday

I can't remember if they decided to change that rule in the new CBA

Nawzer
08-18-2011, 02:18 PM
It will be good to see Tate in action. I think if he's healthy, he will be Arian's primary backup eventually.

sandman
08-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Cushing doesn't return to his rookie form, he may find himself on the bench...or eventually cut.

:vincepalm:

I love it when PS fodder blows up the first pre-season game.

jaayteetx
08-18-2011, 02:39 PM

ya...we'll see

XI CMURDER IX
08-19-2011, 12:14 AM
Slaton tweeted a couple of hours ago that he was back. So maybe we will see both of them Saturday.

Thorn
08-19-2011, 09:43 AM
good, it's crowded in the backfield again. I like that.

Blake
08-19-2011, 09:45 AM
good, it's crowded in the backfield again. I like that.

Watching Ogobbanaya play well sure lit a fire under their asses huh?

Thorn
08-19-2011, 10:32 AM
Watching Ogobbanaya play well sure lit a fire under their asses huh?

That, and Kubiak getting on Tate. :)

nero THE zero
08-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Slaton tweeted a couple of hours ago that he was back. So maybe we will see both of them Saturday.

I think he meant he was back on Twitter, not back from injury.

silvrhand
08-19-2011, 01:00 PM

We have not seen Cushing return to rookie form since the PED bust, and has been injured a lot since then. I don't think it's out of scope to say at this point he has to prove himself now. The way Sharpton/Abidi are playing sure puts pressure on him to get it in gear.. he's gonna need to juice it soon lol.

ObsiWan
08-19-2011, 01:08 PM
That, and Kubiak getting on Tate. :)

And I don't blame him.

Given 2nd-round boy's lack of performance while our UDFA was leading the league in rushing I can totally see why Kubiak never wanted to waste a first day pick on a RB. It's probably a bit extreme, but I can see why he felt that way.

let the bashing commence
:runaway:

nero THE zero
08-19-2011, 01:09 PM
We have not seen Cushing return to rookie form since the PED bust, and has been injured a lot since then. I don't think it's out of scope to say at this point he has to prove himself now. The way Sharpton/Abidi are playing sure puts pressure on him to get it in gear.. he's gonna need to juice it soon lol.

Actually, he was busted before he ever played a down in the NFL. So, that's technically not true.

In order to determine that his play was the product of steroids, a cycle finished in July would have to be effective for a player in December.

I don't know to what extent that is true.

Brisco_County
08-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Actually, he was busted before he ever played a down in the NFL. So, that's technically not true.

In order to determine that his play was the product of steroids, a cycle finished in July would have to be effective for a player in December.

Exactly.

Cushing will be fine. It's the ramp up time that concerns me.

I'm also more concerned about DeMeco.

CloakNNNdagger
08-19-2011, 01:37 PM

I posted on this a couple of months ago:

That was a good and accurate summary of “the events.” There is one thing that I would want to point out. Anabolic steroids will help develop muscle mass and strength above and beyond their “natural” potential. And it will produce these increases quicker. However, it is much more difficult to INCREASE muscle mass and muscle strength than it is to MAINTAIN it. If anabolic steroids are discontinued and so is the vigorous exercise regimen which accompanied it, then the muscle mass and strength can be lost over a relatively short period of time. The strength is lost quicker than the mass. If the vigorous exercise regimen is not discontinued, then the muscle mass and strength decreased can be slowed substantially. But ultimately there will be a noticeable decrease, usually accompanied by a noticeable decrease in different aspects of performance. In fact, this ultimate loss of muscle mass, strength and performance can be delayed by as much as 1 to 2 years following the discontinuance of the anabolic steroids. Examining the timeline, it is not unlikely that Cushing could have maintained a good portion of his anabolic gains during the course of his rookie year. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1710062&postcount=40

Cjeremy635
08-19-2011, 02:05 PM
That was a good and accurate summary of “the events.” There is one thing that I would want to point out. Anabolic steroids will help develop muscle mass and strength above and beyond their “natural” potential. And it will produce these increases quicker. However, it is much more difficult to INCREASE muscle mass and muscle strength than it is to MAINTAIN it. If anabolic steroids are discontinued and so is the vigorous exercise regimen which accompanied it, then the muscle mass and strength can be lost over a relatively short period of time. The strength is lost quicker than the mass. If the vigorous exercise regimen is not discontinued, then the muscle mass and strength decreased can be slowed substantially. But ultimately there will be a noticeable decrease, usually accompanied by a noticeable decrease in different aspects of performance. In fact, this ultimate loss of muscle mass, strength and performance can be delayed by as much as 1 to 2 years following the discontinuance of the anabolic steroids. Examining the timeline, it is not unlikely that Cushing could have maintained a good portion of his anabolic gains during the course of his rookie year.

Maybe so, but the attitude that he had to go along with his rookie season would not have been in effect if it was roid related and he was off cycle that long. Look, coming from someone who has/is dabbling with PEDs, there is a huge mental change (possibly placebo effect) when you are 1-2 weeks removed from a cycle. I don't care who you are and what type of workout routine you are doing. There is no way you are going to maintain the type of strength that PEDs give you, period. That in itself will cause you to drop muscle mass. You can still go to the gym 5 times a week, but you'll probably lose close to 8-10% of your strength. I would bet that's on the conservative side too.

ChampionTexan
08-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Maybe so, but the attitude that he had to go along with his rookie season would not have been in effect if it was roid related and he was off cycle that long. Look, coming from someone who has/is dabbling with PEDs, there is a huge mental change (possibly placebo effect) when you are 1-2 weeks removed from a cycle. I don't care who you are and what type of workout routine you are doing. There is no way you are going to maintain the type of strength that PEDs give you, period. That in itself will cause you to drop muscle mass. You can still go to the gym 5 times a week, but you'll probably lose close to 8-10% of your strength. I would bet that's on the conservative side too.

Except, while it continues to be the commonly accepted truth, the fact that he played most or all of his rookie season after the failed test may not actually be the case.

From a TC blog on this written awhile back:

If he tested positive for hCG twice early in the season, why didn't this continue to happen if this happened naturally?

[Update: 5/17: According to McClain, the facts most people are assuming about the test are wrong. He had measurable amounts of hCG in September but that wasn't a positive test because the B sample wasn't in high enough quantities. He had the true positive test (both A and B samples) in November.]

LINK (http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/2010/05/brian-cushing-confirmation-bias-and-caring-about-real-facts/)

I don't know that there's anything out there that's definitive about the timeline, and I'm very reluctant to dredge up this subject for the umpteenth time, but I just think there's a common belief out there that may very well be incorrect.

Cjeremy635
08-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Except, while it continues to be the commonly accepted truth, the fact that he played most or all of his rookie season after the failed test may not actually be the case.

LINK (http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/2010/05/brian-cushing-confirmation-bias-and-caring-about-real-facts/)

I don't know that there's anything out there that's definitive about the timeline, and I'm very reluctant to dredge up this subject for the umpteenth time, but I just think there's a common belief out there that may very well be incorrect.

I gotcha. I totally agree about not wanting to drag this subject back out again, it's been beat to death on this MB already.

Kimmy
08-19-2011, 06:24 PM
I gotcha. I totally agree about not wanting to drag this subject back out again, it's been beat to death on this MB already.

Here is a current body shot that @briancushing56 retweeted

http://www.whosay.com/uscathletics/photos/56439

http://twitter.com/#!/briancushing56 (it was posted on Aug 16th)

badboy
08-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Wait, wait, wait...first I read Kubiak was on Tate to get on the field and then this articvle says he doesn't want to rush him back?

CloakNNNdagger
08-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Wait, wait, wait...first I read Kubiak was on Tate to get on the field and then this articvle says he doesn't want to rush him back?

Bad guy, good guy cop all in one...................where I come from, they call it schizophrenia!:kitten:

GP
08-19-2011, 08:42 PM

Is it possible that these hammies are phantom injuries concocted by coaches to protect top tier players and limit their activity during camps and preseason?

http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ab65d6edf353.gif

infantrycak
08-20-2011, 08:03 AM

Don't want to go through the whole thing again either. But I just want to point out hcg itself is not a PED nor a masking agent. It used to be common to use it after a cycle to kick up testosterone production. So if he had elevated levels in September his PED use ended prior to the season.

GuerillaBlack
08-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Most of Cushing's plays were off of pure football instinct and skill tho. Last year, I think the suspension, how bad our overall defense was, and him changing positions for a few games all had a contributing factor. Even then, Cushing was pretty good last season. Just not great like his rookie year. He'll be fine if he comes back healthy I think, because of this new defense. So many players all around.

infantrycak
08-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Most of Cushing's plays were off of pure football instinct and skill tho. Last year, I think the suspension, how bad our overall defense was, and him changing positions for a few games all had a contributing factor. Even then, Cushing was pretty good last season. Just not great like his rookie year. He'll be fine if he comes back healthy I think, because of this new defense. So many players all around.

I think instinct v. smart is a distinction for Cushing. Cushing has the instinct but when called upon to call the plays he got analysis paralysis. DeMeco has both the instincts and smarts. Cushing needs DeMeco putting him in the right spot and then he can flow through the play.

TimeKiller
08-20-2011, 10:08 AM
I think instinct v. smart is a distinction for Cushing. Cushing has the instinct but when called upon to call the plays he got analysis paralysis. DeMeco has both the instincts and smarts. Cushing needs DeMeco putting him in the right spot and then he can flow through the play.

Instinct is what you're born with. We've all seen the beast within Cushing.
Smarts is what you practice to get. Cushing doesn't practice. Like....EVER. He needs Demeco to practice for him. What we saw last year was the beast with no brain leading him, like an almost complete frankenstein. A wigged out cluster of muscle that didn't know up from down.