PDA

View Full Version : Texans projected 53 man roster

srrono
08-18-2011, 09:04 AM
http://www.battleredblog.com/2011/8/18/2369771/houston-texans-53-man-roster-projection-bryan-braman

QB - Matt Schaub/Matt Leinart/Matt T.J. Yates

They are the only three quarterbacks on the team and each plays a key role to the 53-man roster. Schaub's the unquestioned starter, Leinart's the capable back-up (How's that taste, Orlovsky?), and Yates is the developmental emergency project.

RB - Arian Foster/Derrick Ward/Ben Tate

I imagine Steve Slaton is cut or traded due to not having a role on the team. I hope Tate will get healthy and show what he's made of as I stupidly hope Chris Ogbonnaya makes it through waivers. I cannot see the Texans abandoning a second-round rookie in his second year.

FB - Lawrence Vickers/James Casey

Ol' Coach Kubiak might platoon both fullbacks to ease on wear and tear over the course of a season. Versatility is going to be the key difference in a lot of roster spot battles. Casey can long-snap, play special teams coverage, and line up at tight end, H-Back, and fullback.

WR - Andre Johnson/Kevin Walter/Jacoby Jones/Dorin Dickerson/Lester Jean

The top four receivers need no explanation. If Lester Jean continues to impress in practice and during games then he will also require no explanation. Jeff Maehl and Terrence Toliver are my practice squad hopes out of this group.

TE - Owen Daniels/Joel Dreessen/Garrett Graham

Anthony Hill, I think it's time for you to get sit on someone else's injured reserve list.

OT - Duane Brown/Eric Winston/Rashad Butler

I love that we have experienced linemen. I really do. Cole Pemberton and Derek Newton, hit the practice squad.

OG - Wade Smith/Mike Brisiel/Antoine Caldwell/Shelley Smith

I hope we have seen the last of Kasey Studdard with his injury. I also think Shelley Smith is very underrated, so hopefully he can get some snaps to show how much better he is than Studdard. Caldwell and the Smiths can also swing to play center should anything happen there, so we have some versatility built in.

C - Chris Myers

The underrated Myers continues to roll solo as the only true center on the roster. At some point, I would like the Texans to pick up a late round kid to groom as losing Myers could cause more problems than one would think.

DE - J.J. Watt/Antonio Smith/Damione Lewis/Tim Bulman/Tim Jamison

You need good defensive line depth, so I'm picking five here. Aside from Lewis, I can tell you at least one good play that each of the defensive ends made on Monday night. Three of them can also slide in and play defensive tackle in a nickel defense.

NT - Earl Mitchell/Shaun Cody

I wish there were a third body here, but these two are really the only locks at NT on the roster. Let's hope Earl Mitchell doesn't ever get hurt or that roster cuts force another team to part with a solid NT.

ILB - DeMeco Ryans/Brian Cushing/Xavier Adibi/Darryl Sharpton

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm driving the Adibi Bandwagon. No player looked better on Monday night in my eyes. I can't wait to get another look at Adibi with the first-team defense come Saturday.

OLB - Mario Williams/Connor Barwin/Brooks Reed/Jesse Nading/Bryan Braman

Wild Braman might force Kubiak's hand here. He was too impactful to be left to the waiver wire. He will be a lock if he can bring that energy to special teams. Steven Friday is a guy I hope can make the practice squad as I liked him during the draft season and on Monday night.

CB - Johnathan Joseph/Jason Allen/Kareem Jackson/Brandon Harris/Brice McCain/Sherrick McManis

Roc Carmichael may be a IR stash or practice squader because this position is crowded with big-name veterans and high draft picks. McManis could also find his way to safety with his skill set, but I can't see any of these six guys not being on the roster. The competition for snaps on the back-end should help keep everyone's efforts up.

S - Glover Quin/Danieal Manning/Troy Nolan/Shiloh Keo

Keo better improve his tackling or else he could be practice squad fodder. You cannot play special teams in the NFL if you cannot tackle. The other three are locks barring a miraculous performance by Torri Williams or Quintin Demps.

ST - Neil Rackers, Brett Hartmann, Jon Weeks

The rookie wins the punting competition in week one, in part due to his kickoff leg. Rackers and Weeks can coast until September 11th. For Weeks' sake, he better hope that there's not an extreme excess amount of talent impressing because Dreessen and Casey can both long-snap.

huynhct
08-18-2011, 09:14 AM
dobbins :kitten:

steelbtexan
08-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Dobbins>Nading

Newton>Keo or Weeks

Overall you did a great job. Repped

Dutchrudder
08-18-2011, 09:35 AM
I know people keep saying Casey is a long snapper, but has anyone actually seen him long snap in a game?

And why would Brice McCain be a lock for the 53? He was terrible last year, there's no guarantee for him in my mind. I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut.

Ole Miss Texan
08-18-2011, 09:37 AM
I really like your 53 a lot. I really really like Maehl but was super impressed with Jean. My offense and special teams is identical to yours.

As for defense the only change I would consider would be adding Dobbins at ILB and dropping Jamison or Bulman (probably Jamison). I would do that because of the injury concerns I have with Demeco AND Cushing, our two starts. I think having 2 starting 34 DEs with 2 Backups is fine to start the season with. In passing downs we'll be in the 43 with Mario/Connor moving up to DE and Watt/Smith bumping inside to DT. Cody/Mitchell still there at DT in those situations too with Lewis, Bulman backing up... Smith could even play outside. Lots of options. But due to the concerns I have for our two starting ILBs, I'd like an extra backup in there.

Secondary, I probably don't change a thing. Agreed on Roc hitting IR. Demps will have to show he can really be a great return man to make the 53, otherwise I'm not cutting Keo/Nolan just for him.

Addition: Don't be surprised as there are roster cuts if we can add a quality signing that makes the squad.

Rey
08-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Dobbins will probably make the team and demps is likely to make it over keo.

Rey
08-18-2011, 09:40 AM
I would cut Yates and practice squad him.

srrono
08-18-2011, 09:50 AM

I agree with you Yates to practice squad Casey could be emergency QB lol

srrono
08-18-2011, 09:51 AM
guys this isnt my projected final 53 i have a link to the source on post.

XI CMURDER IX
08-18-2011, 10:36 AM
I thought you could have 54 players this year on the final roster? This is only 53...

Jackie Chiles
08-18-2011, 11:08 AM
I thought you could have 54 players this year on the final roster? This is only 53...

I think the rule is 46 active players on gameday instead of the usual 45.

Jackie Chiles
08-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Overall this list looks a lot like the one I made a couple days ago. Roc Carmichael will make this team if he is healthy which means one of Brice McCain or Sherrick McManus probably doesn't stick. I like Sherrick more. Even though Brice had a decent game yesterday I thought he was as bad or worse than Kareem last year and its gonna take a lot more for me to sign off on him making this team. Outside of that I think Anthony Hill could be the most difficult decision. He looked like stale dog poo on at least 1 special teams play but I know Gary will want that 4th TE who can block in the running game (even if we never actually see the guy during a real game).

I like the way our backup ends played in game 1 but I think defensive line is a place we could be scouring the waiver wire when cut day rolls around. Igor Olshansky seems to have lost his starting spot with the Cowboys and he makes a good amount of money for a backup. He has played under Wade for two franchises now, why not make it a third? Also I still wouldnt mind picking up Pat Williams to bring our NT total to three. If these two moves happen I imagine Damione Lewis is on the outs and only 1 of Bulman/Jameson make the cut. I like them both, probably Jameson a bit more but it likely comes down to special teams.

IDEXAN
08-18-2011, 11:25 AM
No I don't think we want to risk that because we might not see him again when he's placed on the waiver wire, which I believe is the rout he'd have to take to go the the PS. I think Yates is a pretty good looking prospect.
And Srrono, I really like your proposed roster.

XI CMURDER IX
08-18-2011, 11:29 AM
No I don't think we want to risk that because we might not see him again when he's placed on the waiver wire, which I believe is the rout he'd have to take to go the the PS. I think Yates is a pretty good looking prospect.

Exactly, Yates isn't going to make it past waivers. The Redskins might pick him up or a team like that.

Rey
08-18-2011, 11:34 AM

I don't think anyone picks Yates up.

They would have to add him to their roster and it makes more sense to go with guys that already know the playbook and have been practicing with the team. Especially if it's a team that is going with two qb's. They aren't going to pick up Yates as their primary back up.

Even if it's a team carries 3 qb's they will have to have faith in their back up and be willing to let Yates learn for a couple years.

The texans very well may be scared of someone picking him up, but I think he'd be safe.

beerlover
08-18-2011, 11:37 AM
the really obvious hole is at Center. if Myers goes down look out. his back-ups are always hurt too. I think an upper echelon center is called for next draft 2nd or 3rd round. Mike Brewster, Ohio State would be a good one (for you draft geeks out there, sorry to rest you are not).

also agree with those who say Dobbins makes it. love Jean, Dickerson is an enigma to me. keep Yates for sure I think he has a future in this league & I'm not down with Leinart. people need to ease up on Shilo too, give him at least a couple more games before you cut this guy.

The Pencil Neck
08-18-2011, 11:37 AM
I don't think anyone picks Yates up.

They would have to add him to their roster and it makes more sense to go with guys that already know the playbook and have been practicing with the team.

The texans very well may be scared of someone picking him up, but I think he'd be safe.

Kubes has shown the cojones to go with just two QBs on the roster before but I think he's learned his lesson. I expect us to start the season with all three on the roster.

Rey
08-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Kubes has shown the cojones to go with just two QBs on the roster before but I think he's learned his lesson. I expect us to start the season with all three on the roster.

I do too. Just saying what I would do.

I'd rather get him on the practice squad and use that extra spot on a lb, dl or db.

prostock101
08-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Well done. If Braman continues showing well, Coach would look silly exposing him. And agree center is looking dicey with Caldwell's injury. If Meyers goes out, who can play center?

By the way, what are the rules on the practice squad. I know they have to clear before we can sign them, but seems like we lost guys last year from our PS to other teams that put them on their roster. Is that correct?

Ole Miss Texan
08-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Well done. If Braman continues showing well, Coach would look silly exposing him. And agree center is looking dicey with Caldwell's injury. If Meyers goes out, who can play center?

By the way, what are the rules on the practice squad. I know they have to clear before we can sign them, but seems like we lost guys last year from our PS to other teams that put them on their roster. Is that correct?

I believe other teams can sign the player(s) but to their active roster only. They can't sign them and put them on their practice squad.

The Pencil Neck
08-18-2011, 02:57 PM

Both Wade Smith and Mike Brisiel have played center at one time or another, iirc.

TO THE PS:
Once players clear waivers, you can sign them to your practice squad. Any team can sign any player to their practice squad but normally each team signs its own.

FROM THE PS:
When a player is on the PS, ANY team can sign that player to their regular 53-man roster. There are some rules about how long that player needs to stay on the roster. So, if the Titans put some guy on their PS and as the season goes along, we run into some issues, we can sign that guy to our 53-man roster. We can't sign them to our PS from their PS; they have to go to our roster.

JCTexan
08-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Both Wade Smith and Mike Brisiel have played center at one time or another, iirc.

TO THE PS:
Once players clear waivers, you can sign them to your practice squad. Any team can sign any player to their practice squad but normally each team signs its own.

FROM THE PS:
When a player is on the PS, ANY team can sign that player to their regular 53-man roster. There are some rules about how long that player needs to stay on the roster. So, if the Titans put some guy on their PS and as the season goes along, we run into some issues, we can sign that guy to our 53-man roster. We can't sign them to our PS from their PS; they have to go to our roster.

So the original team gets the first option to practice squad a player, correct? If they decide not to PS a player then he can join any teams PS?

The Pencil Neck
08-18-2011, 03:17 PM
So the original team gets the first option to practice squad a player, correct? If they decide not to PS a player then he can join any teams PS?

I'm not sure if they get first option or if it's a first come, first served sort of thing. There may be an unspoken rule about teams getting first option to their guys.

badboy
08-18-2011, 03:52 PM
the really obvious hole is at Center. if Myers goes down look out. his back-ups are always hurt too. I think an upper echelon center is called for next draft 2nd or 3rd round. Mike Brewster, Ohio State would be a good one (for you draft geeks out there, sorry to rest you are not).

also agree with those who say Dobbins makes it. love Jean, Dickerson is an enigma to me. keep Yates for sure I think he has a future in this league & I'm not down with Leinart. people need to ease up on Shilo too, give him at least a couple more games before you cut this guy.BL, didn't you mention a center named Petrus in another thread? If so, is he related to the OG Petrus that played for Arkansas? Compare the two (Brewster & Petrus) & what round each could go in.

HTown2ATX
08-18-2011, 03:57 PM
I like it but maybe too early. I really want to see more of this guy Braman. I know it was only one game, but damn........

If he shows more of that, he needs a spot IMO.

badboy
08-18-2011, 03:58 PM
So the original team gets the first option to practice squad a player, correct? If they decide not to PS a player then he can join any teams PS?I think it goes like this. All teams cut players and each player can then be picked up by any other team. If that happens the player must be placed on the picking team's roster not the PS. If a player is not picked by another team, original team can place the player on original team's PS or just allow him to ride into sunset.

Here is what could happen, once player is on the original team's PS, he can be signed by any other team for that team's roster.

drs23
08-18-2011, 05:31 PM

Malcom Sheppard! And now his Dad is MIA. Go finger. :kitten:

Corrosion
08-18-2011, 06:44 PM

Yates wont make it thru the waiver wire .... The QB position is just too important. If they were gonna try to sneak him by , I'd be trying to hide his talen now rather than have him finish games like he did on Monday .... That would require a 4th qb in camp ....

prostock101
08-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Seems weird that all 32 teams have a PS and all 32 can cherry pick a player off any other teams PS as long as they add them to the roster.

If that's the case, then if say a player like Obiwan gets claimed by another team, we lose an RB, then we just go get him back?

I think I"m still cornfused.........

Rey
08-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Yates wont make it thru the waiver wire .... The QB position is just too important. If they were gonna try to sneak him by , I'd be trying to hide his talen now rather than have him finish games like he did on Monday .... That would require a 4th qb in camp ....

I think you are over valuing Yates.

I think he has talent, but not many teams are going to cut one of their guys to add a project QB to their active roster. No one is going to view Yates as a primary back-up and no one is going to claim him to be their starter...IMO

That means that teams would only be willing to add him as their third QB...like us...And if they don't have a back-up who they have a lot of confidence in they won't add him even then for fear that they would have to eventually play him.

He will have spent 0 time in their camp learning a playbook. A team would have to really like him to add him. Now, it's not out of the realm of possibility, but I figure if a team liked him that much that would have picked him up.

Lots of teams have young QB's that have been learning their system that they really like. I just don't see Yates being this highly sought after commodity on the waiver wire. At least not at the expense of having to use a roster spot on him.

Rey
08-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Seems weird that all 32 teams have a PS and all 32 can cherry pick a player off any other teams PS as long as they add them to the roster.

If that's the case, then if say a player like Obiwan gets claimed by another team, we lose an RB, then we just go get him back?

I think I"m still cornfused.........

You can't get him back unless the other team cuts him. It's not that confusing.

If you take a guy from a practice squad you have to add them to your active roster for a specified time. If at any point you decide that you want to add that player to your PS, you have to cut him and he has to clear waivers.

prostock101
08-18-2011, 07:38 PM
My bad. I was thinking another team could sign to their PS but they have to roster them. Got's it.

Corrosion
08-18-2011, 08:14 PM
I think you are over valuing Yates.

I think he has talent, but not many teams are going to cut one of their guys to add a project QB to their active roster. No one is going to view Yates as a primary back-up and no one is going to claim him to be their starter...IMO

That means that teams would only be willing to add him as their third QB...like us...And if they don't have a back-up who they have a lot of confidence in they won't add him even then for fear that they would have to eventually play him.

He will have spent 0 time in their camp learning a playbook. A team would have to really like him to add him. Now, it's not out of the realm of possibility, but I figure if a team liked him that much that would have picked him up.

Lots of teams have young QB's that have been learning their system that they really like. I just don't see Yates being this highly sought after commodity on the waiver wire. At least not at the expense of having to use a roster spot on him.

Ask yourself one question - How many QB's played the full 16 last season .....
You look at the performance of other QB's in the past who had full training camps who didnt come in and perform near the level Yates showed against a blitz happy Jets team .... with two weeks preperation.

There are several teams who have questionmarks at QB and several others that are one injury away.

I think Yates makes the 53 and is inactive on game days.

Rey
08-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Ask yourself one question - How many QB's played the full 16 last season .....
You look at the performance of other QB's in the past who had full training camps who didnt come in and perform near the level Yates showed against a blitz happy Jets team .... with two weeks preperation.

There are several teams who have questionmarks at QB and several others that are one injury away.

I think Yates makes the 53 and is inactive on game days.

Nothing you said changes my mind about what I would do. Lots of teams have project qb's and lots of teams pick up udfa's or late round picks to develop.

And honestly I disagree with the injury notion in your post. I think most starting qb's played all of their games last year. There were injuries here and there but even with that said, no one is going to pick up Yates to be their primary back up. Yates is a project. Lots of teams have draft or pick up young quarterbacks to develop. Yates is not special in that regard.

My feelings remain the same and I'm not sure why you guys keep saying that you think he'll make the roster. I've said a few times that I agree with that. No need in reiterating that point.

All I'm saying is what I would do and giving my reasons. Even if someone did what I think is unlikely and claimed him off waivers, I would not really be too hurt.

I think that risk is worth keeping an extra rb, wr, dl, lb, or db.

JCTexan
08-18-2011, 10:50 PM
Nothing you said changes my mind about what I would do. Lots of teams have project qb's and lots of teams pick up udfa's or late round picks to develop.

And honestly I disagree with the injury notion in your post. I think most starting qb's played all of their games last year. There were injuries here and there but even with that said, no one is going to pick up Yates to be their primary back up. Yates is a project. Lots of teams have draft or pick up young quarterbacks to develop. Yates is not special in that regard.

My feelings remain the same and I'm not sure why you guys keep saying that you think he'll make the roster. I've said a few times that I agree with that. No need in reiterating that point.

All I'm saying is what I would do and giving my reasons. Even if someone did what I think is unlikely and claimed him off waivers, I would not really be too hurt.

That would simply depend on how good you project Yates to be in the future. If Kubiak projects him to be a serviceable signal caller in a few years I would expect him to make the 53 man roster. However, if he doesn't show the potential to be a good QB in the future I can see him not making the roster. One thing to note is that the games he plays in might not be what Kubiak will base his entire opinion on with Yates. What he does in practice could likely determine whether or not he makes this roster.

beerlover
08-19-2011, 10:42 AM

Kubiak is known for developing QB's to their fullest potential. I think this is one reason why McNair hired him in the first case to see if he could help HWSNBN. A little slow on the draw (never should have given HWSNBN another contract, attributed to retard reflex syndrome) but see no reason despite other failures, Brink, Orlovsky now Leinart that Yates has more upside than any of them. Go ahead, see what Leinart can do then compare him to the rookie out of North Carolina. game one goes to TJ Yates. lets see games 2,3 & 4 in the preseason. I'll guarantee you there will be teams out there licking their collective chops to try & steal Yates if he continues to show promise & ability to run a high powered offense like the Texans. God forbid something happens to Schaub & they stick Leinart in I may have to avoid watching the Texans like it was 2005 all over again unless Kubiak has worked a minor miracle resurrecting a former Heisman Trophy winners career :vincepalm:

nero THE zero
08-19-2011, 10:50 AM
I'd swap one of McCain/McMannis for Carmichael and Keo for Demps.

I'd also add Dobbins at ILB (especially considering the injury concerns with Cushing and Ryans) and take away someone on offense (though it's tough to figure out who). Kubiak did say they are going to be carrying larger-than-normal number on defense. So, I expect 10 DB's and 10 LB's to make it.

That being the case, you'd have to think they go with 3 TE and 1 FB. I guess that would mean Vickers is the odd man out, which I don't like much.

beerlover
08-19-2011, 11:05 AM
BL, didn't you mention a center named Petrus in another thread? If so, is he related to the OG Petrus that played for Arkansas? Compare the two (Brewster & Petrus) & what round each could go in.

There is a Moe Petrus who plays for Connecticut, but there is no relation, I don't think? He is undersized 6-2 290, quick sub 5.0 sec forty. On both Rimington, Rotary Lombardi & Outland trophy lists.

If your talking about Mitch Petrus? He was drafted last year by the Giants in the 5th rd. Really no comparison to Brewster other than they play the same position. I would compare Brewster more to Nick Mangold, a highly competitive leader @ the center position. He would be a great selection in the 2nd round to bolster the Texans OL. :kitten:

Rey
08-19-2011, 12:15 PM
That would simply depend on how good you project Yates to be in the future. If Kubiak projects him to be a serviceable signal caller in a few years I would expect him to make the 53 man roster. However, if he doesn't show the potential to be a good QB in the future I can see him not making the roster. One thing to note is that the games he plays in might not be what Kubiak will base his entire opinion on with Yates. What he does in practice could likely determine whether or not he makes this roster.

I'll say this again.

I think they will keep Yates on the roster.

I don't agree with that though. This is a good offense for qb's. Lots of easy check downs, a lot of good receiving targets all over the place, play action passes that work on a regular basis ect. . .

I think Yates has talent and I think he is a good prospect. That said, I don't think he is untouchable and I think with this offense and kubiaks "qb development skills" we'd be able to find another tj Yates IF he did indeed get picked up off waivers.

That said, I dont think he'd be claimed. He's a project and I don't think a team would want to commit a roster spot right before the season starts to a guy who has not done anything and knows 0 about their playbook. If their qb gets hurt I think most teams would rather find a nomadic vet vs putting in Yates. I think that from a texans centric pov, he is being over valued a bit. I don't think teams are going to rush to get tj Yates if he hits the wire.

Like u said, I would rather keep a guy like maehl or dobbins or vickers or keo or roc Carmichael or braman. If slaton is running good I'd rather keep him as a fourth rb.

beerlover
08-19-2011, 01:18 PM
I'll say this again.

I think they will keep Yates on the roster.

I don't agree with that though. This is a good offense for qb's. Lots of easy check downs, a lot of good receiving targets all over the place, play action passes that work on a regular basis ect. . .

I think Yates has talent and I think he is a good prospect. That said, I don't think he is untouchable and I think with this offense and kubiaks "qb development skills" we'd be able to find another tj Yates IF he did indeed get picked up off waivers.

That said, I dont think he'd be claimed. He's a project and I don't think a team would want to commit a roster spot right before the season starts to a guy who has not done anything and knows 0 about their playbook. If their qb gets hurt I think most teams would rather find a nomadic vet vs putting in Yates. I think that from a texans centric pov, he is being over valued a bit. I don't think teams are going to rush to get tj Yates if he hits the wire.

Like u said, I would rather keep a guy like maehl or dobbins or vickers or keo or roc Carmichael or braman. If slaton is running good I'd rather keep him as a fourth rb.

We shall revisit this @ some point this season. Probability is medium/medium high Matt Schaub is sidelined for yet to be determined snaps. That leaves Matt Leinart running the Texans. This wouldn't ease my mind one little bit. Go ahead risk Yates on PS by time you need him the probability he's gone is just as possible as Schaub getting hurt. IMO

Rey
08-19-2011, 04:23 PM
We shall revisit this @ some point this season. Probability is medium/medium high Matt Schaub is sidelined for yet to be determined snaps. That leaves Matt Leinart running the Texans. This wouldn't ease my mind one little bit. Go ahead risk Yates on PS by time you need him the probability he's gone is just as possible as Schaub getting hurt. IMO

Matt Shcaub and most other starting QB's seem to be relatively healthy. Especially with all the new rules to protect the QB in recent years.

And with that said, Kubiak is not going to play TJ yates if Matt (1) gets hurt unless Matt (2) is just playing like #2.

And I still disagree that someone is going to be waiting in the wings to snatch him up if their QB gets hurt. No one does that and it sounds ridiculous.

No one is going to have their starter go down and pick a 5th round rookie that knows nothing of their system off of our practice squad. Teams are much more likely to bring in vets who have been around for a while to keep the ship afloat.

drs23
08-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Matt Shcaub and most other starting QB's seem to be relatively healthy. Especially with all the new rules to protect the QB in recent years.

And with that said, Kubiak is not going to play TJ yates if Matt (1) gets hurt unless Matt (2) is just playing like #2.

And I still disagree that someone is going to be waiting in the wings to snatch him up if their QB gets hurt. No one does that and it sounds ridiculous.

No one is going to have their starter go down and pick a 5th round rookie that knows nothing of their system off of our practice squad. Teams are much more likely to bring in vets who have been around for a while to keep the ship afloat.

Rey,

Very valid points which I agree with mostly. The only team that scares me in regard to snagging TJ is the Skins. Same system and TJ the rook perhaps could give mullet boy a run for the backup behind Rexy. Probably way off base but at the same time it wouldn't really surprise me.

I don't think GK will expose him as he worked with him during his days at UNC by sending game tapes and break downs and the such.

Guess we'll see.

I see him sticking and being in the wings 3-5 years down the road with us never missing a lick. If the staff gets through this season. JMO

badboy
08-19-2011, 07:35 PM

No one is going to have their starter go down and pick a 5th round rookie that knows nothing of their system off of our practice squad. Teams are much more likely to bring in vets who have been around for a while to keep the ship afloat.Prior to the draft, QBs are premium picks and we saw a flurry of drafting them. So if one came on the market (Yates or any other) I could see teams pick one up that does not cost a draft pick. Gary is not the only one who can groom a QB.

Rey
08-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Rey,

Very valid points which I agree with mostly. The only team that scares me in regard to snagging TJ is the Skins. Same system and TJ the rook perhaps could give mullet boy a run for the backup behind Rexy. Probably way off base but at the same time it wouldn't really surprise me.

I don't think GK will expose him as he worked with him during his days at UNC by sending game tapes and break downs and the such.

Guess we'll see.

I see him sticking and being in the wings 3-5 years down the road with us never missing a lick. If the staff gets through this season. JMO

I think Yates has talent, but I don't really have any expectations for him.

Kubiak has not really done anything freakish with qb's. He has more "meh" results with qb's he's brought in than "daaaaaaamn" results.

I understand people like Yates. I like him enough too.

But my opinion isn't based on how much I like him really. It's more so based on what move will be better for the team this year. And at this point I'd lean more towards letting him hit the waiver wire and holding on to a guy like maehl who could contribute to most offenses right now.

I think we risk losing a lot of other players that could help us next year at positions where depth is a premium vs holding on to a guy who may or may not ever play in a regular season game for us at any point.

Rey
08-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Prior to the draft, QBs are premium picks and we saw a flurry of drafting them. So if one came on the market (Yates or any other) I could see teams pick one up that does not cost a draft pick. Gary is not the only one who can groom a QB.

So do you think that we would pick up a 5th round draft pick qb that hit the waiver wire?

I'm just asking because I am not familar with other teams qb situations past their primary back up and I'm just picturing us, even when we had sage and danO, and I cannot imagine us clamoring to get someone elses 5th round rookie qb that they put on their practice squad.

Rey
08-19-2011, 08:16 PM
People keep saying Washington is an option, but I don't think they'd be interested. Shannahan needs to win games. I don't think they drafted a qb, so I think they are cool with what they have. Rex is a veteran that has played well at times and he has played on big stages.

I think they are committee to him for this year at least.

I can't see them committing a roster spot to Yates when they were so bad last year all around. There is a good chance they aren't back next year so I don't think they'd be interested in taking one of their pals development guys.

beerlover
08-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Once Kubiak/Dennison teach TJ the art of throwing the ball away & avoid taking the sack I think Yates could really be something. If you want to give up a viable NFL QB prospect for a 4th string anything I think you lose added value QB's can bring that's all. To me I enjoy watching Yates attack defenses more than Leinart. Stronger arm & better accuracy. Just saying, I guess it's choose your poison I'll choose mine.

The Pencil Neck
08-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Rey, I understand your points and, more importantly perhaps, I realize you're talking about what you would do and why you would do it. I realize that you know that Kubiak probably isn't going to agree with you.

I just keep thinking back to Kubiak's first year. He had HWWNBN and he had Sage. Sage got hurt on a special teams play. And so, when I think Kubes would have pulled the trigger and benched HWWNBN, he had no one to go to except for Bradlee Van Pelt.

I think Kubes has been scrambling trying to find two diamonds in the rough that he can work with: 1 FA and 1 in the draft. I think he's been doing that so that he doesn't find himself with his back against the wall like he was that first year.

He thought he could salvage Orlovsky. And then he realized he couldn't. I think he has improved Leinart and I think with Leinart, he's got someone who can at least hand off the ball without him worrying too much about it. Leinart's OK if he can be used as a game manager type of QB.

Yates, I think, may have been a steal. Kubiak may have found his late round, developmental diamond. And because of that, I don't think he's going to jeopardize losing him. Granted, no one else may want Yates, but I don't think he'll risk getting into a situation like he was in that first year.

I think he's in pretty much the situation he wants to be in wrt the QB spot: 1 proven vet starter, 1 vet of backup quality, and 1 young QB to develop who could turn into a very, very good QB.

Rey
08-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Rey, I understand your points and, more importantly perhaps, I realize you're talking about what you would do and why you would do it. I realize that you know that Kubiak probably isn't going to agree with you.

I just keep thinking back to Kubiak's first year. He had HWWNBN and he had Sage. Sage got hurt on a special teams play. And so, when I think Kubes would have pulled the trigger and benched HWWNBN, he had no one to go to except for Bradlee Van Pelt.

I think Kubes has been scrambling trying to find two diamonds in the rough that he can work with: 1 FA and 1 in the draft. I think he's been doing that so that he doesn't find himself with his back against the wall like he was that first year.

He thought he could salvage Orlovsky. And then he realized he couldn't. I think he has improved Leinart and I think with Leinart, he's got someone who can at least hand off the ball without him worrying too much about it. Leinart's OK if he can be used as a game manager type of QB.

Yates, I think, may have been a steal. Kubiak may have found his late round, developmental diamond. And because of that, I don't think he's going to jeopardize losing him. Granted, no one else may want Yates, but I don't think he'll risk getting into a situation like he was in that first year.

I think he's in pretty much the situation he wants to be in wrt the QB spot: 1 proven vet starter, 1 vet of backup quality, and 1 young QB to develop who could turn into a very, very good QB.

The lesson he should have learned was to not expect your back up qb to make tackles on special teams.

But seriously, I understand what you are saying and I understand why kubiak would keep him. I just like thinking about things that go against conventional wisdom because without taking chances it's hard to be innovative. I'm not saying that this decision means kubiak has no imagination, I'm just saying that thinking outside the box and taking risks can be very beneficial.

Just for discussion sake, if Yates were put on the practice squad you'd be able to keep an extra guy somewhere else. Yates would still be learning while you actually strengthen your team in the meanwhile.

If you think Yates is ready to be the back up the year after, trade Leinart for whatever. You'd still have your qb and you'd still have the extra whatever you kept.

I think that the risk of losing a guy who may or may not ever play a single down for us in the regular season is worth the risk of keeping a guy who has a great possibility of contributing this year. That's pretty much my feeling in a nutshell.

But again, I understand and do not disagree with your position or what kubiak is probably going to do.

Rey
08-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Once Kubiak/Dennison teach TJ the art of throwing the ball away & avoid taking the sack I think Yates could really be something. If you want to give up a viable NFL QB prospect for a 4th string anything I think you lose added value QB's can bring that's all. To me I enjoy watching Yates attack defenses more than Leinart. Stronger arm & better accuracy. Just saying, I guess it's choose your poison I'll choose mine.

I appreciate your analysis of Yates, but I've seen lots of guys who do good things and show potential. I have not seen anything special from Yates that makes me think he is a must keep at all cost guy.

And I'm not advocating cutting him and telling him hit the road. I'm saying that, IMO, he is not so good that I'd be scared of letting him hit the waiver wire in hopes of getting him is the practice squad.

I've seen a lot of back up qb's come in the games in pre-season and honestly many of them have made more impressive plays than Yates.

Again, I like Yates. In fact, I like him a lot. But when you are trying to win games in any given year sometimes you may have to make cuts that hurt but will likely be more beneficial to your team in the immediate future and possibly down the road.

You like Yates over Leinart, but I'm not with that at this point. I'd much rather go with Matt if schaub got dinged. He's been around a lot longer and he obviously has talent. He's been here longer and should have a good grasp on what we do. They didn't sign the guy to be a third string qb.

As far as losing value of a qb I just dont know how you can be so sure of that. Yates could suffer the same fate as Alex brinks or zebransky or the one guy we picked up from arizona after we played them in pre-season. I like him like most people, but I am keeping his development in perspective. And you are also assuming we lose him if we practice squad him. We've had good looking qb prospects on the practice sqad before and they didn't adios until we told them get lost.

I'm not saying you have go agree with me btw. I have an open mind about a lot of things and I appreciate your perspective on this.

The Pencil Neck
08-19-2011, 11:43 PM
But seriously, I understand what you are saying and I understand why kubiak would keep him. I just like thinking about things that go against conventional wisdom because without taking chances it's hard to be innovative. I'm not saying that this decision means kubiak has no imagination, I'm just saying that thinking outside the box and taking risks can be very beneficial.

Yep, I agree. I've done that myself in a few threads here and there. Just to explore the options and take a look at different strategies.

JCTexan
08-20-2011, 01:37 AM
But my opinion isn't based on how much I like him really. It's more so based on what move will be better for the team this year. And at this point I'd lean more towards letting him hit the waiver wire and holding on to a guy like maehl who could contribute to most offenses right now. I think that the risk of losing a guy who may or may not ever play a single down for us in the regular season is worth the risk of keeping a guy who has a great possibility of contributing this year. That's pretty much my feeling in a nutshell.

Here is where your opinion is faulty (IMO). I'm assuming you're thinking about keeping Maehl as the #6 WR on the roster since most NFL rosters already keep five. Let's look at the #4 & #5 WR statistics last year for the Texans to keep this argument into prospective: The #5 WR for Houston (Dickerson) last year caught zero passes while the #4 (Anderson) caught eleven for 117 yards. Looking even at the 2009 & 2008 season the #5 WR on the roster (Davis in 09 & Jones in 08) both caught less than 7 passes in those seasons (Jones had 3 & Davis 6). The #6 WR would see even less time than the #5 would, so exactly how much production would you expect out of Maehl this year?

beerlover
08-20-2011, 04:04 AM
I appreciate your analysis of Yates, but I've seen lots of guys who do good things and show potential. I have not seen anything special from Yates that makes me think he is a must keep at all cost guy.

And I'm not advocating cutting him and telling him hit the road. I'm saying that, IMO, he is not so good that I'd be scared of letting him hit the waiver wire in hopes of getting him is the practice squad.

I've seen a lot of back up qb's come in the games in pre-season and honestly many of them have made more impressive plays than Yates.

Again, I like Yates. In fact, I like him a lot. But when you are trying to win games in any given year sometimes you may have to make cuts that hurt but will likely be more beneficial to your team in the immediate future and possibly down the road.

You like Yates over Leinart, but I'm not with that at this point. I'd much rather go with Matt if schaub got dinged. He's been around a lot longer and he obviously has talent. He's been here longer and should have a good grasp on what we do. They didn't sign the guy to be a third string qb.

As far as losing value of a qb I just dont know how you can be so sure of that. Yates could suffer the same fate as Alex brinks or zebransky or the one guy we picked up from arizona after we played them in pre-season. I like him like most people, but I am keeping his development in perspective. And you are also assuming we lose him if we practice squad him. We've had good looking qb prospects on the practice sqad before and they didn't adios until we told them get lost.

I'm not saying you have go agree with me btw. I have an open mind about a lot of things and I appreciate your perspective on this.

TJ Yates had a passer rating of 145.46 last year @ North Carolina along with 3418 yds & 19 TD's (13 games). I first noticed him in 2009 throwing to Hakeem Nicks & Brandon Tate. This year he had Greg Little another tremendous talent & primary target in 2010. Point being even though he has not played in the NFL he has already played with NFL talented WR's. Just look @ what he's done with LeStar Jean, chemistry in motion. Over the head opposite shoulder is textbook elite NFL WR' stuff you can't teach, the move its indefensible, imagine getting reps & working with Andre, Jacoby & Walter?

Don't bring up Brinks either, from my High School. Good kid but was a run & shoot offense type of QB. Probably make a fine OC someday.

ObsiWan
08-20-2011, 07:46 AM
I believe other teams can sign the player(s) but to their active roster only. They can't sign them and put them on their practice squad.

Here is where your opinion is faulty (IMO). I'm assuming you're thinking about keeping Maehl as the #6 WR on the roster since most NFL rosters already keep five. Let's look at the #4 & #5 WR statistics last year for the Texans to keep this argument into prospective: The #5 WR for Houston (Dickerson) last year caught zero passes while the #4 (Anderson) caught eleven for 117 yards. Looking even at the 2009 & 2008 season the #5 WR on the roster (Davis in 09 & Jones in 08) both caught less than 7 passes in those seasons (Jones had 3 & Davis 6). The #6 WR would see even less time than the #5 would, so exactly how much production would you expect out of Maehl this year?
That's an interesting way to look at it; how much production would carrying an extra WR provide. If this year goes like last year injury-wise, then the answer is very little. So using that thought process and last year's injury luck, how much production do you expect to get from keeping a 3rd string QB on the 53? Did we even keep a 3rd QB? If we did, I'm thinking he had few snaps and therefore near-zero production.

So, based on projected production from those two positions sounds like we don't need a 3rd QB or a 6th WR. Given that, I would choose extra LBs. Now, again, that's based on our injury luck from last year repeating and obviously, there's no guarantee that'll repeat. Based on our injury luck so far in this camp, I'd keep extra RBs or DBs.

If you're basing it (it = who we try to sneak through waivers vs. who gets a roster spot) on what the other 31 teams' needs are then we better hope our scouting dept. is on the job. They are the ones who should keep an eye on such things; (a) to assess what the competition has that we may be able to use and (b) what spots the competition is on the lookout for that we might have that they're likely to pick up off the waiver wire.

having said all that, I bet Kubiak holds onto his project QB as opposed to an extra WR.

JCTexan
08-20-2011, 10:22 AM
That's an interesting way to look at it; how much production would carrying an extra WR provide. If this year goes like last year injury-wise, then the answer is very little. So using that thought process and last year's injury luck, how much production do you expect to get from keeping a 3rd string QB on the 53? Did we even keep a 3rd QB? If we did, I'm thinking he had few snaps and therefore near-zero production.

So, based on projected production from those two positions sounds like we don't need a 3rd QB or a 6th WR. Given that, I would choose extra LBs. Now, again, that's based on our injury luck from last year repeating and obviously, there's no guarantee that'll repeat. Based on our injury luck so far in this camp, I'd keep extra RBs or DBs.

If you're basing it (it = who we try to sneak through waivers vs. who gets a roster spot) on what the other 31 teams' needs are then we better hope our scouting dept. is on the job. They are the ones who should keep an eye on such things; (a) to assess what the competition has that we may be able to use and (b) what spots the competition is on the lookout for that we might have that they're likely to pick up off the waiver wire.

having said all that, I bet Kubiak holds onto his project QB as opposed to an extra WR.

Exactly my point. I would expect zero production from Yates this year, but he's a developmental QB who shows potential. If he comes along nicely this year he will likely be the backup to Schaub next year considering Leinart only signed a one-year contract. Maehl is an undrafted WR who will need to beat out Dickerson & Jean just to even get a sniff of the field this year. I expect the same production from both Yates & Maehl this year, which is zilch. I would also imagine the Texans will keep at least one WR on the practice squad & between Toliver, Townsel & Maehl one of them is bound to make it there.

Rey
08-20-2011, 11:33 AM

Here is where your opinions faulty.

It doesnt have to be mahael.

But your analysis is off base because even though dorin didn't catch anything, he still played. Not only did he play in regular offensive sets when we had injuries, but he played on special teams all year.

But honestly, I think mahael provides more value now and possibly in the future and I think he is a guy that is less likely to make it through waivers and last on the practice squad all year.

But yeah it doesn't even have to be mahael they keep. Rb Is a fragile position. We could keep a fourth guy there.

But defense is where keeping an extra player might be most beneficial. 3 prominent lb's on the mend for us. More bodies there would probably make sense.

We don't know what our corners are going to do behind Joseph. Brice has looked better since last year. Might want to hold off on cutting him and depending on Harris to play the nickel.

The dl. Probably would help to have the option of keeping or bringing in another guy there.

Rey
08-20-2011, 11:41 AM
TJ Yates had a passer rating of 145.46 last year @ North Carolina along with 3418 yds & 19 TD's (13 games). I first noticed him in 2009 throwing to Hakeem Nicks & Brandon Tate. This year he had Greg Little another tremendous talent & primary target in 2010. Point being even though he has not played in the NFL he has already played with NFL talented WR's. Just look @ what he's done with LeStar Jean, chemistry in motion. Over the head opposite shoulder is textbook elite NFL WR' stuff you can't teach, the move its indefensible, imagine getting reps & working with Andre, Jacoby & Walter?

Don't bring up Brinks either, from my High School. Good kid but was a run & shoot offense type of QB. Probably make a fine OC someday.

Did Leinart not have impressive college production? And play with and against top NFL talent?

I'll say it again.

I really like Yates. But I'm not projecting him to be the next great thing just yet.

There have been a lot of potential guys walk through reliant. Lots of high college production guys in the NFL. All I'm saying is that it is not out of the realm of possibility that Yates would be safe on the practice squad and that our texans centric point of view is really making this guy into a rockstar before he's made his first hit.

Again, not saying Yates sucks and is going to suck. In fact I think he can be a good player based on some things I saw when he played in college.

But I want to win this year, and I see other players that have a higher likelihood of playing a role in helping us do that.

beerlover
08-20-2011, 11:48 AM
I could be wrong but think Leinart signed a nice two-year deal? Matt Leinart was also was inactive as 3rd QB all 16 games. Point being Texans carried three last year despite lack of playing opportunity. It would be nice to rest Schaub a little more to keep him fresher in games already decided & Kubiak actually trusts his back-up. So Matt Leinart will be active this season as T.J Yates assumes his role of last year, can we at least just agree on that :handshake:

Rey
08-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Exactly my point. I would expect zero production from Yates this year, but he's a developmental QB who shows potential. If he comes along nicely this year he will likely be the backup to Schaub next year considering Leinart only signed a one-year contract. Maehl is an undrafted WR who will need to beat out Dickerson & Jean just to even get a sniff of the field this year. I expect the same production from both Yates & Maehl this year, which is zilch. I would also imagine the Texans will keep at least one WR on the practice squad & between Toliver, Townsel & Maehl one of them is bound to make it there.

I think Leinart signed for two years. And mahael won't have to beat out anybody to get playing time because he will probably play some on special teams. Also, I think we've had injury issues at the wr position just about every year.

That said, you are the one who is focused on mahael. I've stated several times on the last few pages that an extra guy could help us at a number of positions.

In a year where you need to make the playoffs, when you have injury issues at important positions(lb), when you don't know how things will shake out over the year at another (cb), it might behoove us to try to get a fifth round development pick that has the least likelihood of touching the field in any manner onto the practice squad.

That's all I'm saying.

Rey
08-20-2011, 11:55 AM
I could be wrong but think Leinart signed a nice two-year deal? Matt Leinart was also was inactive as 3rd QB all 16 games. Point being Texans carried three last year despite lack of playing opportunity. It would be nice to rest Schaub a little more to keep him fresher in games already decided & Kubiak actually trusts his back-up. So Matt Leinart will be active this season as T.J Yates assumes his role of last year, can we at least just agree on that :handshake:

I've already stated several times that I think the team will keep Yates, but that I don't agree with it.

And it is true that the texans carried three qb's fir the last few seasons, but kubiaks original train of thought was that you carry two qb's and have one on the practice squad to develop. That is until we suffered injuries there. I remember him saying after one game where Matt got hurt and be put sage in and sage got shook up that he was a little nervous because he was going to have to use od to finish the game.

Matt has been healthy for a couple years now, Leinart hasnt had a bunch if injury stuff and like you said, he's been having the third qb inactive on gamedays anyways.

I'm holding out hope that he will take advantage of the 53 roster rule and will use that spot on another player, but ultimately I think he goes with Yates like you have stated.

Also, I think they trust Leinart. If they thought Yates was ready to come in and be the primary back up they wouldn't have signed Matty hot tub to a two year contract. They would have used that money on leach.

Corrosion
08-20-2011, 02:49 PM
I think Yates has talent, but I don't really have any expectations for him.

Kubiak has not really done anything freakish with qb's. He has more "meh" results with qb's he's brought in than "daaaaaaamn" results.

HHWNBM had a 68.6% completion percentage in his year under Kubiak - Thats an increase of 9% over his career average.
HHWNBM was also sacked .... 27 fewer times under Kubiak than his final year under Capers.
Throw in an 82.1 QB rating which is 8 points higher than his career average .....

The guy almost made HHWNBM look like a servicable NFL QB I'd call that pretty damn good results all things considered.

infantrycak
08-20-2011, 03:00 PM
The guy almost made HHWNBM look like a servicable NFL QB I'd call that pretty damn good results all things considered.

I'd say he has had damn fine results with Schaub as well.

ChampionTexan
08-20-2011, 03:05 PM

Rosenfels and, Jake Plummer would also be considered bright spots on his QB resume.

Corrosion
08-20-2011, 03:07 PM

Of course he has ... But I figured showing how he made HHWNBM almost look like an NFL QB was enough of an example .... Schaub had some talent to begin with ..... HWWNBM had .... well , he had pretty hair.

That was a monumental task .... :chickendance:

Rey
08-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Of course he has ... But I figured showing how he made HHWNBM almost look like an NFL QB was enough of an example .... Schaub had some talent to begin with ..... HWWNBM had .... well , he had pretty hair.

That was a monumental task .... :chickendance:

I disagree.

Carr looked awful under kubiak. He had a lot of dump off's and such for his high percentage, but let's not act like he turned the guys career around.

Rey
08-20-2011, 05:22 PM

I think kubiak helps qb's.

But matt was not a developmental qb when kubiak brought him in. He was considered as someone who could likely be a starter for an NFL team.

But even if you say kubiak is Largely responsible for matts success, he's still had quite a few others who have not done anything.

Corrosion
08-22-2011, 11:40 PM

Remembered this post while reading Solomon's article on Leinart .... Here's a quote from that article that shows how important the backup QB spot is on an NFL roster ..... especially those looking to make the playoffs.

After missing five starts in each of his first two seasons in Houston, Schaub has started 32 consecutive games. But this is the NFL, where backup quarterbacks must be ready to play.

Last season, only 12 quarterbacks started all 16 games, meaning more than 62 percent of teams (20 of 32) had to call on their backup to start at least one game.

Quarterbacks who started the season on the bench went 13-7 for the 12 teams that made the playoffs.

Link (http://www.chron.com/sports/solomon/article/Solomon-Texans-QB-Leinart-is-his-own-biggest-2136602.php)

SteveSlaton20
08-22-2011, 11:54 PM
C - Chris Myers

The underrated Myers continues to roll solo as the only true center on the roster. At some point, I would like the Texans to pick up a late round kid to groom as losing Myers could cause more problems than one would think.

Wasn't Caldwell drafted to be that guy? Or is he only playing OG?

Rey
08-23-2011, 12:36 AM
Remembered this post while reading Solomon's article on Leinart .... Here's a quote from that article that shows how important the backup QB spot is on an NFL roster ..... especially those looking to make the playoffs.

Link (http://www.chron.com/sports/solomon/article/Solomon-Texans-QB-Leinart-is-his-own-biggest-2136602.php)

How many of those teams started back ups because the starter wasn't getting it done? Did any teams rest the starter when play offs were in hand? Big Ben missed time due to rape allegations.

Brett favre missed time when any other year he'd have normally played.

I can think of a few teams where the starter got pulled or didn't play because the team was horrible.

How many play off teams pulled their starting qb due to injuries? That would be a lot more telling.

But on top of all that, I am talking about the third stringer who would likely be inactive all year. How many third stringers played due to injury? How many third stringers were active due to injury?

Who is going to bring in Yates as their primary back up?

ObsiWan
08-24-2011, 05:58 AM
How many of those teams started back ups because the starter wasn't getting it done? Did any teams rest the starter when play offs were in hand? Big Ben missed time due to rape allegations.

Brett favre missed time when any other year he'd have normally played.

I can think of a few teams where the starter got pulled or didn't play because the team was horrible.

How many play off teams pulled their starting qb due to injuries? That would be a lot more telling.

But on top of all that, I am talking about the third stringer who would likely be inactive all year. How many third stringers played due to injury? How many third stringers were active due to injury?

Who is going to bring in Yates as their primary back up?

Ummm... I can remember there was this AFC East team that made the playoffs, now this was a while back, who's starter got injured mid-season I think. They made the playoffs with their backup ....some guy named Brady if I recall correctly. I hear he's still around.

And then there was this mid-western team - I think that franchise had relocated from the west coast - who's starter got hurt in the last preseason game and they had to resort to a arena league QB to take them into the playoffs. I think that guy had been sacking groceries or something when they picked him up to be a backup to Trent Green. That backup guy did okay too. I believe his name was Werner or Weiner or Warner or something like that.

Don Shula used to keep Don Strock on stand-by in case David Woodley wasn't having his best day.

And I don't need to remind ex-Oiler fans about that infamous Bills backup QB. It's against the rules here to state his name. I'm flurting with getting negative reps by just bringing up the situation.

I'm sure there are other examples...

:D

dalemurphy
08-24-2011, 06:14 AM
C - Chris Myers

Wasn't Caldwell drafted to be that guy? Or is he only playing OG?

Caldwell
Shelley Smith
Wade Smith ..... all have significant experience as a center, either in the NFL or in College.

Also, they worked with Mike Brisiel at Center last year. So, I'm not sure which guy they see as the backup. But, we have guys that should be able to handle the job. I would doubt the Texans would go get anyone.

TheRealJoker
08-24-2011, 06:56 AM
Caldwell
Shelley Smith
Wade Smith ..... all have significant experience as a center, either in the NFL or in College.

Also, they worked with Mike Brisiel at Center last year. So, I'm not sure which guy they see as the backup. But, we have guys that should be able to handle the job. I would doubt the Texans would go get anyone.

Caldwell was Alabama's starting center as well.

El Tejano
08-24-2011, 11:22 AM
QB - Schaub, Leinhart, Yates

WR - Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter, Jacoby Jones, Dorin Dickerson, Lestar Jean

RB - Arian Foster, Derrick Ward, Ben Tate

FB - James Casey, Lawrence Vickers

TE Owen Daniels, Joel Dreesen

I believe that having Casey and Vickers on the roster makes Garrett Graham expendable. If we ever need to go 3 TE I formation, Casey can easily fill the 3rd TE spot with Vickers filliing in the FB spot.

OL - Eric Winston, Mike Briesel, Shelley Smith, Chris Myers, Wade Smith, Duane Brown, John Weeks, Rashad Butler, Antoine Caldwell, Derek Newton.

DT - Earl Mitchell, Shawn Cody, Scooter Berry

DL - JJ Watt, Antonio Smith, Tim Jamison

Bullman just hasn't shown as much as Jamison has. Having so much depth at OLB (Reed) allows Mario to come back inside if injury were to occur on Dline.

LBs - Cushing, Ryans, Mario, Barwin, Brookes Reed, Sharpton, Adibi, Braman, Nading
Tim Dobbins is a numbers game casualty and his age is up there

Safeties - Manning, Nolan, Quin, Quentin Demps
Keo missed too many tackles for me to care for

CB - Carmicheal, Harris, Jackson, Joseph, Mccain, Allen, McManis

The Pencil Neck
08-25-2011, 12:09 AM

Just off the top of my noggin:

The Colts team that lost to the Jets had lost Johnny Unitas partway through the season and had played Earl Morral through part of the season and I think all of the playoffs. He started the Super Bowl.

The Perfect Dolphins Team played most of that year with Bob Griese injured. Earl Morral (again) lead the team to most of that perfect season and into the playoffs. But Griese got healthy and played in the playoffs and the Super Bowl, iirc.

For the Giants, Phil Simms went down and Jeff Hostetler lead the Giants through the playoffs and won a Super Bowl.

And, not the same thing, but McNabb went down one year and the Eagles won 3-4 games and got into the playoffs going through 2 different backups (Feeley and... I can't remember his name, big college career guy in a run & shoot and then lifetime backup).

I'm sure there are more but those are the ones that come to mind.

80tothezone
08-25-2011, 02:26 AM
dobbins :kitten:

I know it is a pre saints game post but dobbins was horrible against the saints... might have already been said ... didn't look at all 4 pages of posts but dobbins needs to go

beerlover
08-25-2011, 02:52 AM
QB - Schaub, Leinhart, Yates

WR - Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter, Jacoby Jones, Dorin Dickerson, Lestar Jean

RB - Arian Foster, Derrick Ward, Ben Tate

FB - James Casey, Lawrence Vickers

TE Owen Daniels, Joel Dreesen

I believe that having Casey and Vickers on the roster makes Garrett Graham expendable. If we ever need to go 3 TE I formation, Casey can easily fill the 3rd TE spot with Vickers filliing in the FB spot.

OL - Eric Winston, Mike Briesel, Shelley Smith, Chris Myers, Wade Smith, Duane Brown, John Weeks, Rashad Butler, Antoine Caldwell, Derek Newton.

DT - Earl Mitchell, Shawn Cody, Scooter Berry

DL - JJ Watt, Antonio Smith, Tim Jamison

Bullman just hasn't shown as much as Jamison has. Having so much depth at OLB (Reed) allows Mario to come back inside if injury were to occur on Dline.

LBs - Cushing, Ryans, Mario, Barwin, Brookes Reed, Sharpton, Adibi, Braman, Nading
Tim Dobbins is a numbers game casualty and his age is up there

Safeties - Manning, Nolan, Quin, Quentin Demps
Keo missed too many tackles for me to care for

CB - Carmicheal, Harris, Jackson, Joseph, Mccain, Allen, McManis

Keo, Berry, McMannis & Graham all have PS eligibility. Dobbins provides veteran leadership @ a position of questionable health/depth. While Demps , Nading & as you suggest Bullman are caught in a numbers game.

drs23
08-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Keo, Berry, McMannis & Graham all have PS eligibility. Dobbins provides veteran leadership @ a position of questionable health/depth. While Demps , Nading & as you suggest Bullman are caught in a numbers game.

True re; the first 4 players. Demps and Bullman I don't see making it but Nading has looked pretty good to me so far. I think he'll stick.

Corrosion
08-28-2011, 01:24 AM
Havent noticed Vickers being on the field all that much .... Im begining to wonder if he was an insurance policy for Casey not working out - He could be expendable which would allow them to keep Graham or an extra WR/DB.

Casey has been much better than I expected and gives the offense a whole new dimension .... On the play action where he led Tate thru the hole then ran up the middle of the field for a big gain was a good example of that. He drew a LB up and both safety's to the middle of the field. Thats going to make doubling AJ that much more difficult.

Slaton being injured - they could stash him on the Pup list and not take up a roster spot for the time being ?

Studdard will likely go on IR.

Offense - 24.

QB -3- Schaub , Leinart , Yates

RB -3- Foster , Tate , Ward

FB -1- Casey

WR -5- AJ , Walter , Jones , Dickerson , Jean

OL -9- Brown , W.Smith , Myers , Brisiel , Winston , Butler , Caldwell , S.Smith , Pemberton

TE -3- Daniel , Dreessen , Graham

Defense - 26

NT -3- Cody , Mitchell , Berry

DE -4- A.Smith , Watt , Jamison , Bulman

ILB -5- Ryans , Cushing , Adibi , Sharpton , Dobbins

OLB -4- MW , Barwin , Reed , Braman

CB -6- JJo , Jackson , Allen , Harris , McCain , Carmichael

S -4- Manning , Quin , Nolan , Keo

Special Teams - 3

K -1- Rackers

P -1- Maynard

LS -1- Weeks

Rey
08-28-2011, 08:36 AM
Vickers will make the team. This is an offense that needs a fb and if Casey gets hurt we wouldn't have one.

Also vickers has been getting some action and he has played a lot on special teams.

Thorn
08-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Vickers will make the team. This is an offense that needs a fb and if Casey gets hurt we wouldn't have one.

Also vickers has been getting some action and he has played a lot on special teams.

They would be very wise to keep Vickers. Cassey has done well in preseason, that means nothing when it's for real. Vickers is good insurance, and as you said, this team needs a good blocking FB for the running game.

prostock101
08-28-2011, 09:04 AM
I think you have to keep Vickers and try to sign Graham to the PS.

Is putting Slaton on the PUP an option? If after 6 weeks do we have to put him on the roster? What are the rules in that regard?

Rey
08-28-2011, 09:25 AM
As of right now this would be my 53:

Qb 2: schaub, Leinart

Rb 3: foster, Tate, ward (slaton on pup or ir)

Fb 2: Casey, vickers

Wr 5: Aj, Walter, jj, dorin, Jean

Ol 8: Starting 5, butler, shelly, Caldwell

Te 3: od, dreesen, graham

Dl 7: watt, smith, Mitchell, Cody, berry, Jamison, Lewis.

Lb 10: barwin, Cush, meco, Mario, nading, reed, adibi, sharpton, dobbins, braman.

Cb 6: jjo, kjax, Allen, Harris, McCain, molden,

S 5: manning, Quinn, demps, Nolan, keo

K, P, LS

Yes I have molden making the team. To me he has looked good at corner. Carmichael has done nothing and I think he is more talented than mcmannis. Mcmannis can also play safety, but since I'm keeping 5 that's not a factor.

Lucky
08-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Yes I have molden making the team.
I don't see Molden over McManis. Or Keo over TJ Yates, the #3 QB.

Rey
08-28-2011, 09:36 AM
I don't see Molden over McManis. Or Keo over TJ Yates, the #3 QB.

I have no idea what the texans will do, but that's what I'd do.

Molden is better than mcmannis, and keo would have more impact on the season than Yates.

Lucky
08-28-2011, 09:42 AM
and keo would have more impact on the season than Yates.
What has Keo done that makes you think he can play in the NFL, much lass make an impact? Yates is an emergency #3 QB. They have some value.

Rey
08-28-2011, 09:49 AM
What has Keo done that makes you think he can play in the NFL, much lass make an impact? Yates is an emergency #3 QB. They have some value.

He can return kicks and punts and he Had a good special teams tackle last night.

What exactly has Yates done to make you believe that he can play qb in the NFL?

And for the record, I'm not a big keo fan. I don't think he is that talented. To me he is like the Tim bulman of safeties. But id rather have guys that actually have a high likelihood of playing.

#3 qb's aren't typically factors on good teams.

Lucky
08-28-2011, 09:58 AM
What exactly has Yates done to make you believe that he can play qb in the NFL?

I think he's got the strongest arm and most athletic ability of the QBs on the roster. Someone that Kubiak can work with. And the # 3 QB is a game day active exemption, this year. I'm pretty sure every team will carry 3 QBs this season.

Keo can field punts and kicks, but he can't do anything with them. Much like McManis in this regard. Now that I think about it, a waiver wire acquisition for a returner is a real possibility.

steelbtexan
08-28-2011, 10:02 AM
As of right now this would be my 53:

Qb 2: schaub, Leinart

Rb 3: foster, Tate, ward (slaton on pup or ir)

Fb 2: Casey, vickers

Wr 5: Aj, Walter, jj, dorin, Jean

Ol 8: Starting 5, butler, shelly, Caldwell

Dl 7: watt, smith, Mitchell, Cody, berry, Jamison, Lewis.

Lb 10: barwin, Cush, meco, Mario, nading, reed, adibi, sharpton, dobbins, braman.

Cb 6: jjo, kjax, Allen, Harris, McCain, molden,

S 5: manning, Quinn, demps, Nolan, keo

K, P, LS

Yes I have molden making the team. To me he has looked good at corner. Carmichael has done nothing and I think he is more talented than mcmannis. Mcmannis can also play safety, but since I'm keeping 5 that's not a factor.

I like it.

The only things I would do differently would be,

Cutting Nading and Keo, Keeping Carmicheal and either keeping Maehl or signing one of the WR's that the Packers cut. The Packers are going to have to cut Chastin West, Kerry Taylor and Tori Gurley. All of those guys would really help upgrade ST's.

ChampionTexan
08-28-2011, 10:20 AM

Is putting Slaton on the PUP an option? If after 6 weeks do we have to put him on the roster? What are the rules in that regard?

Putting Slaton on the PUP is clearly not an option at this point - you can't go on the reserve (regular season) PUP unless you're first paced on the active (preseason) PUP, and once you've participated in even a single practice (which Slaton has), you're no longer eligible for the active PUP.

FWIW, anybody who is on the Reserve PUP has to stay on it for the first six weeks of the season, after which they either have to be activated, or placed on IR (although I guess they could also be waived with an injury settlement). Most of the time a team can get a temporary (One or two week) roster exemption which allows time to evaluate the player on the practice field before deciding what to do with them. So while they have to miss a minimum of six weeks, it could end up being seven or eight - even if they're ultimately put back on the active roster.

I don't think Graham is eligible for the PS either. Unless the new CBA changed things, you can't have an accrued season of NFL experience and be PS eligible. Six games or more constitute an accrued season, and last year, Graham was active in exactly six games.

Rey
08-28-2011, 10:26 AM
I think he's got the strongest arm and most athletic ability of the QBs on the roster. Someone that Kubiak can work with. And the # 3 QB is a game day active exemption, this year. I'm pretty sure every team will carry 3 QBs this season.

Keo can field punts and kicks, but he can't do anything with them. Much like McManis in this regard. Now that I think about it, a waiver wire acquisition for a returner is a real possibility.

I won't argue with any of that except that I don't know how teams will use the emergency qb spot. I could see teams going with two qb's and using the extra spot on another player. This is a new rule so teams could go either way on it.

That is unless it is stipulated that it must be a qb and only a qb.

Lucky
08-28-2011, 11:10 AM
That's the way I understand it.

gtexan02
08-28-2011, 11:19 AM
With so many injuries to our RBs I really think we keep 4. I think Slaton makes the team

The Pencil Neck
08-28-2011, 11:25 AM

1) I believe Graham was active for too many games last season to be eligible for the PS.
2) I think for a guy to be on the PUP, he's got to start TC on the PUP. If that's the case, Slaton isn't eligible.

The Pencil Neck
08-28-2011, 11:49 AM
I'll play:

QB (3): Schaub, Leinart, Yates
RB (4): Foster, Ward, Tate, Slaton
FB (2): Casey, Vickers
WR (5): AJ, KW, JJ, DD, Jean
TE (3): OD, Dreessen, Graham
OL (8): Brown, Smith, Myers, Brisiel, Winston, Caldwell, Shelley, Butler

DE (4): Smith, Watt, Jamison, Bulman
NT (3): Cody, Mitchell, Lewis
OLB (5): Mario, Barwin, Reed, Braman, Nading
ILB (4): Ryans, Cushing, Sharpton, Dobbins/Adibi
CB (5): Joseph, Jackson, Allen, McMannis, Harris
S (4): Manning, Quin, Nolan, Keo/Demps

P: Maynard
K: Rackers
LS

PS: Berry, Newton, Maehl, Tolliver
IR: Studdard, Carmichael (I haven't seen Carmichael play, he's still got the shoulder problem, right?)

I think one of Dobbins and Adibi gets cut. Probably Adibi. And one of Keo and Demps gets cut, probably Demps.

Honestly, I have no idea what CBs are going to end up on the team after Joseph, Jackson, Allen, and Harris.

There were some HARD cuts this year.

prostock101
08-28-2011, 12:07 PM
I see most have LS blank. Who is our LS and why do we need to have a roster spot specically for the LS? We can't coach one OL guy to do that? I think at one time they were tryin' Casey to see if he could handle it.

What's da dang deal?

The Pencil Neck
08-28-2011, 12:18 PM
I see most have LS blank. Who is our LS and why do we need to have a roster spot specically for the LS? We can't coach one OL guy to do that? I think at one time they were tryin' Casey to see if he could handle it.

What's da dang deal?

Well, it was Jon Weeks. But I heard he was injured and I haven't really checked on who has been handling longsnapping recently. I think it's Albritton, who's a rook from Colorado State (of course.) I don't know if Weeks will be healthy in time for the season or if we'll go with Albritton.

BUT.

I've always been a proponent of having a dedicated longsnapper. It's a difficult position to play and you want someone there who's good at it. You never notice the longsnapper until he's making bad snaps and when he's making bad snaps, you're pretty much doomed.

Rey
08-28-2011, 12:22 PM

What's da dang deal?

Weeks is the long snapper I think.

I believe he got hurt and we brought in another one so I don't really know what's going on there.

If ever there was a season to not need a ls this would be it.

I think dreesen and Casey can long snap. But I don't recall seeing either one doing that at any point.

IDEXAN
08-28-2011, 12:46 PM
I have a bad feeling that 2 rookie fan favs, Keo & Braman, may be casualties in the final cut to 53 ? Of
course they are both eligible for the PS, but Braman in particular might be tough to get thru waivers ?

MojoMan
08-28-2011, 12:46 PM
The first round of cuts down to 80 players must be completed by Tuesday, August 30th at 3:00 PM CDT.

Will Steve Slaton be included among them?

The Pencil Neck
08-28-2011, 02:23 PM
I have a bad feeling that 2 rookie fan favs, Keo & Braman, may be casualties in the final cut to 53 ? Of
course they are both eligible for the PS, but Braman in particular might be tough to get thru waivers ?

Yeah, both of those guys were hard for me to include on my roster.

But, Braman has been playing with the 2's and he's been playing a lot of ST. The 2 OLBs are Reed, Nading, and Braman. It might come down to Nading and Braman for a spot.

I think Keo, Demps, Nolan, and Barber are fighting for 2 spots. I think Nolan solidifed his position. Keo has been close to making some good plays but he's ended up flubbing things instead. It could go either way. I'm pretty sure Barber is out, though.

prostock101
08-28-2011, 05:53 PM
I'm hoping Braman makes it. I think Keo makes it just from the chatter I've heard.

Since ST seems to be a weak link this year. What's the opinion here on the punters. Is it worth keeping the rookie because he can boom it into the endzone? Seems like a lot of teams were running it out anyway. Or is Maynard the guy because he's a good directional punter?

And why not use Dressen for the LS? I realize it's an extremely important play but dang it's not brain surgery.......

Rey
08-28-2011, 06:06 PM
I'm hoping Braman makes it. I think Keo makes it just from the chatter I've heard.

Since ST seems to be a weak link this year. What's the opinion here on the punters. Is it worth keeping the rookie because he can boom it into the endzone? Seems like a lot of teams were running it out anyway. Or is Maynard the guy because he's a good directional punter?

And why not use Dressen for the LS? I realize it's an extremely important play but dang it's not brain surgery.......

I didn't realize how much of a specialized position long snapping was until I got to college.

Those guys take their craft very seriously. They time how fast they are getting the ball to the holder or punter and they practice it over and over again. They start off throwing the ball like a qb would and they gradually go into the long snapping motion.

One failed snap could be a disaster. And they are in on field goals and punts. Whereas a punter or fg kicker is in on either or.

That said, if i was I was kubiak, when weeks got hurt id have been using the pre season to see if I was comfortable with Casey or dreesen there.

beerlover
08-28-2011, 06:41 PM
I didn't realize how much of a specialized position long snapping was until I got to college.

Those guys take their craft very seriously. They time how fast they are getting the ball to the holder or punter and they practice it over and over again. They start off throwing the ball like a qb would and they gradually go into the long snapping motion.

One failed snap could be a disaster. And they are in on field goals and punts. Whereas a punter or fg kicker is in on either or.

That said, if I was kubiak, when weeks got hurt if have been using the pre season to see if I was comfortable with Casey or dreesen there.

I like this ^^^^ why hold a roster spot when you have dual role players that don't impact your bottom line negatively when giving breaks, so to speak, call them relief operators. This way we can groom a quality young QB or keep a 4th string (never know when your going to need more RB depth) or extra secondary/olb. :brando:

Lucky
08-28-2011, 06:58 PM
That said, if i was I was kubiak, when weeks got hurt id have been using the pre season to see if I was comfortable with Casey or dreesen there.
I think you use training camp to find a guy (or 2) to long snap in an emergency. But you definitely go with a specialist on a week in, week out basis. It's just too important a job to get cute with.

dsorc
08-28-2011, 09:14 PM
I was thinking of the 53-man roster on the wake of last night's victory. Here's the roster I came up with and why.

Offense : 25
QB(3):Schaub, Leinart, Yates
I could see Yates going on the PS but we have carried 3 QBs in recent years.
RB(4):Foster, Tate, Ward, Slaton
All of them are or have been nicked up in PS so we have even more reason to carry them all. I expect Slaton to be inactive unless one of the other 3 can't go.
FB(1):Casey
Has Vickers even seen snaps with the ones? Casey could also see some time at TE.
TE(3):Daniels, Dreesen, Graham
Not much surprise here. I expect to see Graham inactive most of the time. I think we'll use Walter as the 3rd TE on jumbo sets. We did just that on Ward's 1 yd TD run last night.
WR(5):Andre, Walter, Jacoby, Devard Darling, Dickerson
Darling has been WR4 in the last couple of games and done ok. I think Jean and Maehl go to the PS. Not sure about Tolliver as he has been invicible during the PS.
OL(9):Brown, W.Smith, Myers, Brisiel, Winston, Butler, Caldwell, S.Smith, C.Pemberton
We have carried 9 OL the past couple years. The only thing different in my list over last year is Studdard (IR) who will be replaced by one of OT Pemberton, OT Newton, or OT Cody Wallace. I'm giving the nod to Pemberton but it's a coinflip. Would not be surprised if that slot is decided by which of our other backups are still injured. That last slot is usually inactive anyway.

Defense:25
DL(6): Watt, Cody, Antonio, Mitchell, Jamison, ? (Currently Lewis)
The last spot in the D-line could easily be filled with another team's cut player. ideally it should be a guy that can play any spot on the line hence why I have Lewis over Bulman. That last spot should usually be inactive.
OLB(5):Mario, Barwin, Reed, Nading, Braman
ILB(5):Cushing, Ryans, Sharpton, Adibi, Dobbins
I believe Phillips has taken 10 LBs in the past couple of years. Nading has done decently with 2s and contribiutes on ST. Braman and/or Dobbins might be inactives. Cheta and Steven Friday will probably be on the PS.
CB(5):Joseph, Kareem, Allen, Harris, McManis
S(4):Manning, Quin, Nolan, Demps
McCain has a good chance to beat McManis to be honest. I personally would love to see how McManis plays at S in our next preseason game because honestly, I don't trsut any of our S beyond the first 3. Carmichael will probably be in the PS

Special Teams:3
LS: Jon Weeks
K: Neil Rackers
P: Brett Hartman
I give Hartman the nod because he looks to be our best KO specialist. He also has a lot of room to grow as a rookie.

Inactives(7): Slaton, Graham, Pemberton, Lewis, Braman, Demps, Dickerson/Yates
PS(8): Jean, Maehl, Newton, Carmichael, Keo, Cheta, Friday, Guy Miller

The Pencil Neck
08-28-2011, 09:14 PM

Actually, it's harder.

(kinda joking. just kinda)

The Pencil Neck
08-28-2011, 09:16 PM
WR(5):Andre, Walter, Jacoby, Devard Darling, Dickerson
Darling has been WR4 in the last couple of games and done ok. I think Jean and Maehl go to the PS. Not sure about Tolliver as he has been invicible during the PS.

Good point. I forgot about Darling when I was putting my list together.

MojoMan
08-28-2011, 09:56 PM

I have no inside information, but it seems like Braman and Keo may end up on the practice squad. Also LeStar Jean, Chris Ogbonnaya and Roc Carmichael could be practice squad players as well.

GP
08-28-2011, 10:03 PM
And the # 3 QB is a game day active exemption, this year. I'm pretty sure every team will carry 3 QBs this season.

Then this would adjust everybody's roster projection, right?

I'll take a crack at it:

2 QB: Schaub, Leinart, and Yates (who doesn't count due to QB3 Exemption)

4 RB: Foster, Tate, Ward, OgBo (Slaton gets released)

2 FB: Casey, Vickers

5 WR: AJ, KW, JJ, Dickerson, Jean

3 TE: OD, Dreesen, Graham

8 OL: Brown, W. Smith, Myers, Briesel, Winston, Butler, Caldwell, S. Smith

TOTAL OFFENSE: 24

-----------------------

1 K: Rackers

1 P: Hartmann (multi-purpose player: Kickoff, Punt, Emergency Kicker)

1 LS: Weeks

TOTAL ST: 3

----------------------

6 DL: Watt, Cody, A. Smith, Mitchell, Jamison, D. Lewis

5 OLB: Mario, Barwin, Reed, Nading, Braman

5 ILB: Cushing, Ryans, Sharpton, Adibi, Dobbins

5 CB: J-Jo, KJ, Allen, Harris, McMannis

4 S: Manning, Quin, Nolan, Demps

TOTAL DEFENSE: 25

-----------------------

TOTAL ROSTER: 52 (that's IF a QB3 is exempted like I think it is w/ new CBA)

(A) If we have an extra roster spot, it could go to Pemberton on the OL.

(B) Another possibility is Keo as a ST guy and emergency S if needed--Honestly, though, the guy will be on the PS easily due to nobody wanting to pick him up off waivers. Easy call, IMO. So I doubt he would get a roster spot on the active 53.

(C) A 6th WR could go to that 53rd spot, too. Kubiak said there are 5 WR spots, but maybe they find room for a guy like Darling or Maehl???

(D) And here's a totally far-out, stoned out of our minds possibility with an extra roster spot to use: Maynard as a "specialty" punter for directional coffin-corner punting! Hartmann to boom the long stuff, and Maynard to pin 'em inside the 10 when we're within range to do that.

My thoughts on my roster picks:

(1) Adibi has done well enough to be on the team. Nading, as well. Dobbins makes my roster because he could be a good value in some bizarre situation where we have a lot of LB injuries.

(2) Anthony Hill gets released. Just not working out for us, IMO. Did he even make the trip to San Francisco? You have to think that if you don't make those out of town preseason trips...it can't be good news most of the time.

(3) Slaton gets released, maybe even this week, in an effort to help him land somewhere else. No hard feelings here, and shouldn't be from any Texans fan. It just didn't work out.

(4) Wade Phillips hasn't been rushing the QB with Braman much at all since the Jets game. I'm seeing Reed get that assignment in the past two games and Braman playing more contain and covering RBs and TEs going into the flats. With his ST ability, and his effort vs. the Jets, I think they want the guy as depth on active 53. The measurables, the lack of NFL mileage, and the effort are too risky to put on waiver wire, IMO.

(5) Keo, Keo, Keo. Where art thou, Keo? This guy is almost like a Cortland Finnegan type player to me. Scrappy, stocky, and the source of ire from Texans fans. He's like bad BBQ: You know you shouldn't eat it, but you do anyways, and you wonder why you keep eating it. Sigh......

(6) Jacoby Jones, IMO, should be on a very short leash. I've seen too many bobbles and too many passes hit his hands and his chest area and bounce off. I've thought he would arise and ascend to a secure spot on this team...but dammit he's just a fart one second and a diaper full of shit the next. Little toots are cute, messy britches not so much. This is why I think a 6th WR could sneak onto the roster if QB3 is ruled as an exemption on the 53 man roster. Darling is big, he plants himself out there and grabs the pass, and I think he might just make it here.

(7) I have OgBo making the cut. He didn't look good vs. 49ers, but he was also running with inferior OL too. He looked good vs Jets 1st teamers when he was running with our starters on the OL. And we have to take 4 RBs on the active 53. And Slaton has been a ghost all preseason...writing on the wall, IMO.

What do you think? If we had ONE extra spot to give...who do you give it to and why?

badboy
08-28-2011, 10:26 PM
I like this ^^^^ why hold a roster spot when you have dual role players that don't impact your bottom line negatively when giving breaks, so to speak, call them relief operators. This way we can groom a quality young QB or keep a 4th string (never know when your going to need more RB depth) or extra secondary/olb. :brando:I've been pushing this for 3 years and get chased off board everytime I bring it up.

Lucky
08-28-2011, 10:34 PM
It's not a roster exemption, it's an extra spot on the gameday active list.

Rey
08-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Texans special on channel 13 now.

badboy
08-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Texans special on channel 13 now.Thanks, turned it on.

badboy
08-28-2011, 10:55 PM

I'll take a crack at it:

-----------------------

----------------------

4 S: Manning, Quin, Nolan, Demps

-----------------------

(A) If we have an extra roster spot, it could go to Pemberton on the OL.

(B) Another possibility is Keo as a ST guy and emergency S if needed--Honestly, though, the guy will be on the PS easily due to nobody wanting to pick him up off waivers. Easy call, IMO. So I doubt he would get a roster spot on the active 53.

(C) A 6th WR could go to that 53rd spot, too. Kubiak said there are 5 WR spots, but maybe they find room for a guy like Darling or Maehl???

(D) And here's a totally far-out, stoned out of our minds possibility with an extra roster spot to use: Maynard as a "specialty" punter for directional coffin-corner punting! Hartmann to boom the long stuff, and Maynard to pin 'em inside the 10 when we're within range to do that.

(1) Adibi has done well enough to be on the team. Nading, as well. Dobbins makes my roster because he could be a good value in some bizarre situation where we have a lot of LB injuries.

(2) Anthony Hill gets released. Just not working out for us, IMO. Did he even make the trip to San Francisco? You have to think that if you don't make those out of town preseason trips...it can't be good news most of the time.

(3) Slaton gets released, maybe even this week, in an effort to help him land somewhere else. No hard feelings here, and shouldn't be from any Texans fan. It just didn't work out.

(4) Wade Phillips hasn't been rushing the QB with Braman much at all since the Jets game. I'm seeing Reed get that assignment in the past two games and Braman playing more contain and covering RBs and TEs going into the flats. With his ST ability, and his effort vs. the Jets, I think they want the guy as depth on active 53. The measurables, the lack of NFL mileage, and the effort are too risky to put on waiver wire, IMO.

(5) Keo, Keo, Keo. Where art thou, Keo? This guy is almost like a Cortland Finnegan type player to me. Scrappy, stocky, and the source of ire from Texans fans. He's like bad BBQ: You know you shouldn't eat it, but you do anyways, and you wonder why you keep eating it. Sigh......

(6) Jacoby Jones, IMO, should be on a very short leash. I've seen too many bobbles and too many passes hit his hands and his chest area and bounce off. I've thought he would arise and ascend to a secure spot on this team...but dammit he's just a fart one second and a diaper full of shit the next. Little toots are cute, messy britches not so much. This is why I think a 6th WR could sneak onto the roster if QB3 is ruled as an exemption on the 53 man roster. Darling is big, he plants himself out there and grabs the pass, and I think he might just make it here.

(7) I have OgBo making the cut. He didn't look good vs. 49ers, but he was also running with inferior OL too. He looked good vs Jets 1st teamers when he was running with our starters on the OL. And we have to take 4 RBs on the active 53. And Slaton has been a ghost all preseason...writing on the wall, IMO.

What do you think? If we had ONE extra spot to give...who do you give it to and why?good post and thanks for the work. I think your 5 WRs are much better than corners so I think I'd keep an extra CB over extra WR at least for now. I still want to see Slaton with the first team before I yell "cut".

Rey
08-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Thanks, turned it on.

Did you see the Brooks Reed breakdown?

I like seeing Spencer dissect plays. I don't agree with some of his minor points but I like the little things that he shines a light on.

ChampionTexan
08-28-2011, 11:43 PM

That's the way I understand it.

Lucky -

I may be misunderstanding your comment, but I'm pretty sure teams have the option to designate only two QB's among the 46 active on gameday. The additional active spot can be any position. Here's a quote from an Ed Bouchette article that I think addresses the question:

He's the No. 3 quarterback and he may not even dress for games this year under the new roster rule. That rule allows 46 players to dress for games. There will be no special designation for the quarterback. You can dress him and, unlike in the past, play him any time during the game without any repercusion. Or, you can dress only two quarterbacks and use that active gameday roster spot for another position player or even special teams player.

LINK (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/111024-ed-dennis-dixon-finds-himself-in-tough-spot)

The Pencil Neck
08-28-2011, 11:58 PM

I don't think so. From my understanding, the "exemption" actually went away with the new CBA.

In the old days, you had your 53 man roster and then you had the 45 that were active for any given game. AND you could also dress a 3rd QB that did not count against the 45 BUT if that guy played, your starter couldn't play anymore.

Now the rule is that you still have your 53 man roster but now you have 46 guys active for any game.

That's it.

The exemption is gone but they've added 1 more player to the active players. If you want to dress 3 QBs, fine. And you can play any of them you want to.

TexansFanatic
08-29-2011, 12:14 AM
I don't think so. From my understanding, the "exemption" actually went away with the new CBA.

In the old days, you had your 53 man roster and then you had the 45 that were active for any given game. AND you could also dress a 3rd QB that did not count against the 45 BUT if that guy played, your starter couldn't play anymore.

Now the rule is that you still have your 53 man roster but now you have 46 guys active for any game.

That's it.

The exemption is gone but they've added 1 more player to the active players. If you want to dress 3 QBs, fine. And you can play any of them you want to.

I believe this is correct.

GP
08-29-2011, 12:22 AM

That's it.

Excellent breakdown. Thank you.

SheTexan
08-29-2011, 07:17 AM

I watched Casey practice LS before both our preseason games. Not sure if he practiced during TC or not, but, most likely he did.

Rey
08-29-2011, 08:26 AM
I watched Casey practice LS before both our preseason games. Not sure if he practiced during TC or not, but, most likely he did.

That's good to know...

At least, like Lucky said, we have backup options if needed

prostock101
08-29-2011, 08:33 AM
Casey has to be a coach's dream. So far he appears to be the number one FB, backup TE, backup LS and plays ST. I think at the 49'er game I saw him handing out Gatorade.......

TimeKiller
08-29-2011, 08:37 AM

I'll take a crack at it:

4 RB: Foster, Tate, Ward, OgBo (Slaton gets released) If it's between Ogbo or Slaton, I take Slaton. When it comes right down to it, I'd roll with just the 3 and use the roster space elsewhere.

2 FB: Casey, Vickers Vickers doesn't deserve a spot on this team. I'm not saying he won't make it, I'm saying flat out: He doesn't deserve it. Can't even look decent against backups.

-----------------------

----------------------

5 CB: J-Jo, KJ, Allen, Harris, McMannis Hard to believe this is the group where cuts are hard! I can't fault you for anything here but I just don't believe they will cut McCain.

4 S: Manning, Quin, Nolan, Demps As much as I would like to sing your praises for leaving off Barber, I highly doubt they'll keep Demps over Keo. I hate Keo's game, I think it's all fluff but this isn't my decision!

-----------------------

(A) If we have an extra roster spot, it could go to Pemberton on the OL. Doubtful. If there's only one thing this OL has consistently done, it's stay on the field.

(B) Another possibility is Keo as a ST guy and emergency S if needed--Honestly, though, the guy will be on the PS easily due to nobody wanting to pick him up off waivers. Easy call, IMO. So I doubt he would get a roster spot on the active 53.Funny thing is, I agree with you, I don't think he should be on the roster. I just think he will be, he's Wade's boy.

(C) A 6th WR could go to that 53rd spot, too. Kubiak said there are 5 WR spots, but maybe they find room for a guy like Darling or Maehl???Darling maybe. Maehl probably not, they could've just kept David Anderson if they wanted a quick but not fast hands guy.

(D) And here's a totally far-out, stoned out of our minds possibility with an extra roster spot to use: Maynard as a "specialty" punter for directional coffin-corner punting! Hartmann to boom the long stuff, and Maynard to pin 'em inside the 10 when we're within range to do that. I want some of that stuff!!!

(1) Adibi has done well enough to be on the team. Nading, as well. Dobbins makes my roster because he could be a good value in some bizarre situation where we have a lot of LB injuries.I think you nailed LBers.

(2) Anthony Hill gets released. Just not working out for us, IMO. Did he even make the trip to San Francisco? You have to think that if you don't make those out of town preseason trips...it can't be good news most of the time.You think someone will pick him up? I don't.

(3) Slaton gets released, maybe even this week, in an effort to help him land somewhere else. No hard feelings here, and shouldn't be from any Texans fan. It just didn't work out.Yeah, this is likely to happen but like I said, if they go 4 AND cut Slaton, I'll be shocked. Ogbonnaya only gets what the OL can push for as a runner. Decent pass catching ability but that's not going to cut it for THIS offense. Pass catching ability is a pre-requisite for getting on the practice field.

(4) Wade Phillips hasn't been rushing the QB with Braman much at all since the Jets game. I'm seeing Reed get that assignment in the past two games and Braman playing more contain and covering RBs and TEs going into the flats. With his ST ability, and his effort vs. the Jets, I think they want the guy as depth on active 53. The measurables, the lack of NFL mileage, and the effort are too risky to put on waiver wire, IMO.They've definitely been rotating positions/roles for these young guys but Reed clearly has the upper hand. Like you, I just don't think Braman would make it back to us if left on the PS.

(5) Keo, Keo, Keo. Where art thou, Keo? This guy is almost like a Cortland Finnegan type player to me. Scrappy, stocky, and the source of ire from Texans fans. He's like bad BBQ: You know you shouldn't eat it, but you do anyways, and you wonder why you keep eating it. Sigh......That's some sick BBQ dude...

(6) Jacoby Jones, IMO, should be on a very short leash. I've seen too many bobbles and too many passes hit his hands and his chest area and bounce off. I've thought he would arise and ascend to a secure spot on this team...but dammit he's just a fart one second and a diaper full of shit the next. Little toots are cute, messy britches not so much. This is why I think a 6th WR could sneak onto the roster if QB3 is ruled as an exemption on the 53 man roster. Darling is big, he plants himself out there and grabs the pass, and I think he might just make it here.With the list of names at the bottom of WR depth, seems like resigning Jacoby's all feet/no hands act might've been a small error.

What do you think? If we had ONE extra spot to give...who do you give it to and why?

If it's just one, I say Brice McCain. He's familiar, I think he plays better when they aren't leaning on him to be a starter and he can play ST. It's not an exciting pick but DB depth is thin!

At this point I would like to verbally (writtenly) rep you for your effort and say that I agree with most of what you said, which is why I just quoted you instead of re-typing everything you just typed.

GP
08-29-2011, 05:10 PM
If it's just one, I say Brice McCain. He's familiar, I think he plays better when they aren't leaning on him to be a starter and he can play ST. It's not an exciting pick but DB depth is thin!

At this point I would like to verbally (writtenly) rep you for your effort and say that I agree with most of what you said, which is why I just quoted you instead of re-typing everything you just typed.

Thanks, man.

You know, they could--if they wanted to--cut Harris and TRY to keep him on the PS. I don't even think I've seen the guy on the field, or at least not MUCH. Am I watching a different set of Texans preseason games??? Because I just don't remember seeing the guy out there much at all. If any!

One caveat to that thought, however: Harris was chosen pretty high in the draft. There might be a team out there who would snatch him off waivers OR snatch him off our practice squad, since any team can sign your PS guys. That's why I doubt they cut the guy, but would cut McCain. Who knows.

I don't think Keo would get picked off the waiver wire, so even if he IS Wade's kid...the guy will be on the PS. In my opinion.

OgBo is a hard case to judge. I can't see Kubiak going with only 3 RBs. He watched OgBo sled it out in the Jets game because of RB injuries to Foster (Hammy), Tate (Hammy), Ward (concussion at the start of the game), and Slaton (whatever it is that ails him). Spooky stuff, if you ask me. That night, OgBo carried the ball the whole time. He wasn't a World Beater, but he was "Matt Leinart serviceable," IMO. Again: We won't know until stuff is announced. It's very likely Slaton gets a sweetheart year in Houston like Carr and Dunta did.

By virtue of using more LBs in the 34 defense, we'll go heavy on LB roster spots, since you're going to need (for all practical purposes) around 8 guys--4 starters and 4 depth guys. Just my take on the LB roster decision-making.

Should be interesting to see what the 2011 cuts look like this year. Will some under-performing and rather invisible secondary guys (McCain) be released? Will Slaton make the team? What LBs get chosen, and how many? Who will be our punter this year? Will we have a 3rd QB on the roster, or will he cut the guy and try to fit him on the PS? Etc., etc. Lots of interesting items to watch for, I'd say.

prostock101
08-29-2011, 05:32 PM
I know this has been discussed, but everyone seems to believe that Yates is an automatic for the roster. I wonderin' if maybe he's really going to be a PS guy.

With the short time to get ready and field a team, who would claim him off waivers and put him on their roster? Just doesn't make sense to me. I could see someone grabbing Braman or someone like that. Much easier to plug in a guy that you would just line up and say "sic 'em".

A QB in a totally new system would be hard to justify taking a roster spot this late. I know we carried 3 last year but this year we have a lot of depth on both sides of the ball worth protecting. Jus' sayin'.......

And how about this. Yates is cut and signed to the PS. Carr beats out Rosencopter in NY and he's released. We cut Leinart and sign Rosencopter. Leinart is signed by the Seahawks who cut Tavaris and Matt goes on to have a Curt Warner type career..........No good? Ok, I"m just bored......

El Tejano
09-01-2011, 09:34 PM
So who do you think made the team after all 4 preseason games are over.

Rey
09-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Revised 53:

Qb 2: matts
Rb 4: af, ward, Tate, slaton
Fb 2: Casey, Vickers
Wr 6: top three, bj, Dickerson, holiday
OL 8: starters, caldwell, butler, ?

DL 7: watt, smith, Cody, Mitchell, bulman, Jamison, berry

Lb 10: Mario, Cush, d wreck, barwin, adibi, reed, nading, sharpton, braman, dobbins

Cb 5: Jo, kj, Allen, McCain, Harris

S 4: manning, Quinn, Nolan, demps

K, p, ls

GP
09-01-2011, 11:15 PM
My revised 53, changes in red text:

3 QB: Schaub, Leinart, and Yates

5 WR: AJ, KW, JJ, Dickerson, and either B. Johnson or Holliday

TOTAL OFFENSE: 25

-----------------------

1 P: Maynard. I previously had Hartmann here, and I think he should be brought back in.

----------------------

4 S: Manning, Quin, Nolan, Keo (I had Demps here previously)

-----------------------

TOTAL ROSTER: 53

(A) Not sure on the status of S. Smith (OL) injury. Is it enough to be I.R.'d the rest of the season, which would free up a roster spot elsewhere? Even so, it would possibly be used on another OL anyways???

(B) The WR situation is weird. You have to think Bryant Johnson wasn't signed and brought into the final preseason game just to cut him loose. The big frame of Jean was lost to injury, and it looks like Kubiak is going back to the well with another big frame guy in Bryant Johnson. We all know it's AJ, KW, and JJ...but what happens at spots 4 and 5? Kubiak said there will be 5 WRs. Is DD in that 4th spot? That means one more between maybe Holliday and Bryant Johnson??? A little curious to see what happens here.

(C) I didn't watch the game, but I read every page of the gameday thread. I didn't like what I read you guys saying about Maynard. Punting is generally a stand-alone gig...you stand alone, and you kick the ball. Outside of having bad snaps, a punter can't blame anybody for punting short or aiming poorly--It's all on the punter, no other person to blame there. The whole special teams unit is in shambles, except Rackers. That's not good. Agree?

(D) Don't get discouraged by getting skunked in this game by the Vikes. It's not as if our entire first team O and first team D will go down and we're stuck with ALL 2nd stringers or 3rd stringers. If one guy is hurt on the OL, or elsewhere, a 2nd stringer takes the guy's spot and has 10 other guys around him to help cover the loss.

Corrosion
09-02-2011, 02:06 AM
Couple of guy's I had on my last list went on IR , Couple others who werent there , showed they belong , time to edit that list ....

Offense - 24.

QB -3- Schaub , Leinart , Yates

RB -4- Foster , Tate , Ward , OB27 (only had 3 backs in the previous list , OB earned a spot tonight , Slaton gets cut.)

FB -1- Casey

WR -5- AJ , Walter , Jones , B. Johnson , Dickerson . (I Had Jean taking the last spot here , he's on IR. Added Johnson)

OL -8- Brown , W.Smith , Myers , Brisiel , Winston , Butler , Caldwell , Pemberton (S.Smith went on IR)

TE -3- Daniel , Dreessen , Graham

Defense - 26

NT -3- Cody , Mitchell , D. Lewis (previously had S.Berry as the 3rd)

DE -5- A.Smith , Watt , Jamison , Bulman , Nading (added Nading)

ILB -4- Ryans , Cushing , Adibi , Sharpton , (removed Dobbins)

OLB -4- MW , Barwin , Reed , Braman

CB -6- JJo , Jackson , Allen , Harris , McCain , Carmichael

S -4- Manning , Quin , Nolan , Barber (Barber over Keo for ST play)

Special Teams - 3

K -1- Rackers

P -1- Maynard

LS -1- Weeks

thunderkyss
09-02-2011, 07:09 AM
Thanks, man.

You know, they could--if they wanted to--cut Harris and TRY to keep him on the PS. I don't even think I've seen the guy on the field, or at least not MUCH. Am I watching a different set of Texans preseason games??? Because I just don't remember seeing the guy out there much at all. If any!

He's a second round pick. No way he'll pass waivers.