PDA

View Full Version : Andre Johnson allegations

texanchris
08-17-2011, 10:17 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=Ai_drmxNtnbXp4quVtaQrzJPMuB_?slug=ys-andre_johnson_allegations

Didn't see this anywhere and thought you guys might find this interesting. Its not as serious as Wilfork who got $50,000 but I'm wondering if he can still get in trouble.

Rey
08-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Get in trouble by whom?

texanchris
08-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Get in trouble by whom?

I don't Know, I wasn't sure if they punished the players who received the improper benefits or if the just punished the university.

HTown2ATX
08-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Get in trouble by whom?

It's part of that whole Miami U scandal. The guy who is in jail and singing like a canary right now named like 70 players that he gave benefits to while they were at the U and Andre and Daryl Sharpton for the Texans he claims were given some benefits like VIP access and free drinks at a club and stuff.

Those are the only benefits I have heard that our Texans got so dar but I have not pulled up the link yet (my info just coming from what has been talked about on 610 today).

Texan_Bill
08-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Much ado about nada!!

BetaV1
08-17-2011, 10:30 AM
The topic title had me worried. I thought the NFL was going to hold an investigation into whether or not Andre is actually a cyborg.

Dodged a bullet there. :scare:

HoustonFrog
08-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Up here they have been hounding Hester. Seems like he got alot of stuff.

My favorite part about all of these scandals is that Yahoo sports is showing how far and above they are compared to ESPN. They actually do real reporting and real journalism where they do interviews, etc. Oregon and now this. Guys like Wojo get all the inside NBA scoop. ESPN just reposts what they hear.

Rey
08-17-2011, 10:31 AM
It's part of that whole Miami U scandal. The guy who is in jail and singing like a canary right now named like 70 players that he gave benefits to while they were at the U and Andre and Daryl Sharpton for the Texans he claims were given some benefits like VIP access and free drinks at a club and stuff.

Those are the only benefits I have heard that our Texans got so dar but I have not pulled up the link yet (my info just coming from what has been talked about on 610 today).

I'm familar with the situation, just wondering how Andre would be punished for this...

TexansFanatic
08-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Will the Texans be put on probation by the NCAA?

:kitten:

HTown2ATX
08-17-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm familar with the situation, just wondering how Andre would be punished for this...

I see. Nothing, it was just something of note since he was a Texan I guess.

The NCAA is a joke IMO. Dre's ring shouldn't be tarnished from his championship and MVP at the U.

Texan_Bill
08-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Eric Winston said he heard of Shapiro, but couldn't pick him out in a line-up.

spurstexanstros
08-17-2011, 10:57 AM
so with Larry Coker starting up football program here at UTSA, and he was around during all that, I am wondering if he gets dragged into it.

that was our selling point for him look at the job he did at Miami....(wah wah.. goes the trumpet)

Cjeremy635
08-17-2011, 11:08 AM
He got some free drinks and VIP access. Big freakin' deal! That may amount to a couple of hundred dollars or so. It's not like the guy paid for him a new house, car, and lavish vacations abroad. The guy is a douche and is grabbing at straws if you ask me. How in the hell can you get in trouble for receiving drinks? I'd write the dude a check for couple of Benjamins and tell him to go and **** himself. Ass clown.

HTown2ATX
08-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Andre just commented on it......said he is not worried about it and not a big deal and he can only speak for himself.

Dre said he doesn't remember any benefits like that. He said he is upset about it bt can't control it and he knows and Dre knows what really happened.

(typing as I listen...forgive any misspellings)

He says has not been contacted by anyone from NCAA or otherwise.

--That was it and was said right after morning practice just minutes ago.

Thorn
08-17-2011, 11:11 AM
It is my professional opinion that the Houston Texans should win a Super Bowl so AJ gets a nice ring to make up for this obvious injustice.

infantrycak
08-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Not really addressing AJ but there needs to be some sanity to this amateur athlete stuff. One, the rules should be uniform for all sports. If college football players can't charge to give tutoring to high school players then tennis and skiing team members shouldn't be allowed to give lessons. And they shouldn't be allowed to do endorsements if football players can't. Or flip it around and everyone can. Also there needs to be some de minimis understanding of ordinary life. It shouldn't be wrong to accept a drink from someone while they want to sit down and talk to you. It's ordinary life to buy drinks for other people.

Ckw
08-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Here I was expecting Dre to have received some big time bonus. $10k in his locker when he got back or something. But all the asshat has is he paid for AJ to enjoy some VIP treatment and some drinks?

:spit:

No, Andre will not be getting in any kind of trouble for receiving free drinks.

Cjeremy635
08-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Not really addressing AJ but there needs to be some sanity to this amateur athlete stuff. One, the rules should be uniform for all sports. If college football players can't charge to give tutoring to high school players then tennis and skiing team members shouldn't be allowed to give lessons. And they shouldn't be allowed to do endorsements if football players can't. Or flip it around and everyone can. Also there needs to be some de minimis understanding of ordinary life. It shouldn't be wrong to accept a drink from someone while they want to sit down and talk to you. It's ordinary life to buy drinks for other people.

I agree 100% about there needing to be some sort of uniformity. I never gave it much of a thought before, but it makes perfect sense.

Double Barrel
08-17-2011, 11:36 AM

QFT.

This, and the lack of a legit playoff system, is why I can't be bothered to watch college football (outside of my son's team, of course).

The ADs and bowl committee's have way too much power and it turns the entire industry into a freakin' joke.

Errant Hothy
08-17-2011, 11:40 AM
You mean to tell me one the biggest recruits coming out of HS was paid/received extra benefits to go to a certain school. I'm shocked I tell you, utterly gob-smacked.

Yawn. Such a non-story.

Vinnie
08-17-2011, 11:45 AM
I always knew that Johnson kid was up to no good! :sarcasm:

A few drinks in a night club, are you freaking kidding me?

HTown2ATX
08-17-2011, 11:46 AM
QFT.

This, and the lack of a legit playoff system, is why I can't be bothered to watch college football (outside of my son's team, of course).

The ADs and bowl committee's have way too much power and it turns the entire industry into a freakin' joke.

^^^^^^^^^^this.

TheCD
08-17-2011, 11:54 AM

The whole "amateur athlete" business is a farce to begin with. If it is a college's job to prepare its students for the real world, then athletes should be included in that.

I know of no college rules that do not allow computer science/business/etc. majors to not receive interest or future job offers from top companies. Nor do I believe there are any sanctions that would be placed on these programs when this happens.

These athletes are trying to prepare themselves for a future in the NFL. I don't see how a booster paying a college player is going to funnel talent to that school any more than the powerhouse schools already do.

ATXtexanfan
08-17-2011, 12:08 PM
i forgive him

Yankee_In_TX
08-17-2011, 12:13 PM

Well, I think it's really fishy this guy is claiming he started 2002 - right AFTER their reign at the top (when OSU took them down).

They could figure our it goes before 2002 and forefeit a lot of wins... And a national title.

TheMatrix31
08-17-2011, 12:40 PM
So sick of college football scandals. More corrupt than the Soviet Union. If it's not one school, it's the other. One big WHO CARES.

ArlingtonTexan
08-17-2011, 12:40 PM

Like anything set of rules that are reactionary in nature (see shoes at the airport) the NCAA has too many that go against common sense. My nephew was an average football player in the Big 12 and it was never really clear if I could directly send him money instead of funnel it through his parents. I had no relation to school except having a couple co-workers who graduated there and giving a 25 minute academic talk a year or two before he signed.

What I do know is that he had to turn down dinner with a life long family friend (easily documented) because he was a graduate of the same university. The freind had zero connections to atheletic departemnt and did nothing in recruiting my nephew.

Closer to the Andre/Miami thing. Seriously, what's more suspect than a mid-30 something year old, non- graduate of a university buying his way into being a boster and/or public supporter of an athletic team/program.

infantrycak
08-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Seriously, what's more suspect than a mid-30 something year old, non- graduate of a university buying his way into being a boster and/or public supporter of an athletic team/program.

Well a couple comments the first not directed to you. There have been several comments about getting them to attend the school but it appeared from the article the payments were while they were in school so it doesn't look like they were to get them to go to The U. But to answer you, obviously this guy was more than shady and folks like Wilfork (if the allegations are true) darn well knew it. But a couple drinks and VIP visits? If anything that sounds like the guy tried to put moves on AJ and he rejected them.

steelbtexan
08-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Wilforks parents both passed away while he was at the U.

If I was in his shoes I would've taken the $$$$.

HTown2ATX
08-17-2011, 01:17 PM
But a couple drinks and VIP visits? If anything that sounds like the guy tried to put moves on AJ and he rejected them.

:lol: Exactly!

badboy
08-17-2011, 01:57 PM
"Shapiro, AJ will knock the S clean out of you!" signed Innegan

TimeKiller
08-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Somebody's momma needs to tell that man no tattling. Jackass. Do your time like a man, quit trying to get everyone else's hands dirty.

Accuse the classiest athlete in professional sports.....from prison. Idk 'bout y'all, guess I was raised different but the shame of accusations from behind bars would be enough to keep my mouth shut.

Mr teX
08-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Get in trouble by whom?

exactly, they can't do anything to AJ or Sharpton at this point.

MightyTExan
08-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Well a couple comments the first not directed to you. There have been several comments about getting them to attend the school but it appeared from the article the payments were while they were in school so it doesn't look like they were to get them to go to The U. But to answer you, obviously this guy was more than shady and folks like Wilfork (if the allegations are true) darn well knew it. But a couple drinks and VIP visits? If anything that sounds like the guy tried to put moves on AJ and he rejected them.

I agree
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=ec30f9461a9a993592ddb0942d6164 21&action=dlattach;topic=391948.0;attach=423896;image

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=ec30f9461a9a993592ddb0942d6164 21&action=dlattach;topic=391948.0;attach=423895;image

badboy
08-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Somebody's momma needs to tell that man no tattling. Jackass. Do your time like a man, quit trying to get everyone else's hands dirty.

Accuse the classiest athlete in professional sports.....from prison. Idk 'bout y'all, guess I was raised different but the shame of accusations from behind bars would be enough to keep my mouth shut.I imagine SHapiro is mouthing off to cut a deal to cut time behind bars.

cland
08-17-2011, 02:27 PM
ANDRE LAMONT JOHNSON you turned down 50 grand, blingin' rims, gold watches, and jewelry and all you got was a couple of drinks!!! How dare you, sir! If I have to here my girlfriend give me the ole' "Why aren't you more like Andre?" speech one more time, I'm going to lose it. Now you go get out yer house and kick the walker out from under an old person, so the rest of us morally inferiors can feel better about ourselves!

False Start
08-17-2011, 02:30 PM
I'm wondering if he can still get in trouble.

Trouble is scared of Andre Johnson, when he got through with it, it would just be rouble. :wild:

Dutchrudder
08-17-2011, 02:34 PM
You mean to tell me one the biggest recruits coming out of HS was paid/received extra benefits to go to a certain school. I'm shocked I tell you, utterly gob-smacked.

Yawn. Such a non-story.

What? Non-story? Ohio State and USC got penalties for far less egregious issues. This is going to be a big deal for Miami if this guy has enough evidence on their players and coaches. If the guy was personally writing checks to their players, then that will be simple enough to prove.

DBCooper
08-17-2011, 02:41 PM
I thought this was going to be about whoopin some fake irishmans ass!

Errant Hothy
08-17-2011, 03:06 PM
What? Non-story? Ohio State and USC got penalties for far less egregious issues. This is going to be a big deal for Miami if this guy has enough evidence on their players and coaches. If the guy was personally writing checks to their players, then that will be simple enough to prove.

In relation to Dre and the Texans (and this sub-forum), it is indeed a non-story.

In realtion to college football and the U (and the college footbal sub-forum), it's a story. Untill the NCAA nuts up and death penalty's a sacred cow program nothing is going to change.

Playoffs
08-17-2011, 03:13 PM
i forgive him

So do I.

SheTexan
08-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Don't mess with the the BEAST!! Definitely, dont mess with Houston Texan fans when it comes to Andre Johnson!!!:pissed::kingkong::pursefight:

Koolaid Time
08-17-2011, 09:18 PM
In relation to Dre and the Texans (and this sub-forum), it is indeed a non-story.

In realtion to college football and the U (and the college footbal sub-forum), it's a story. Untill the NCAA nuts up and death penalty's a sacred cow program nothing is going to change.

I think its just a matter of time before they find evidence linking Shapiro to giving these same "favors" (parties, women, etc) to coaches and staff in the Miami Athletic Department.

Then its "game over"...

I think the NCAA saw what happened to SMU and realized that "death penalty" was too harsh in terms of the long term effects.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Miami get hit with No Bowls for 5 years, an On-staff NCAA appointed Supervisor watching their program, and loss of numerous scholarships.

DocBar
08-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Not really addressing AJ but there needs to be some sanity to this amateur athlete stuff. One, the rules should be uniform for all sports. If college football players can't charge to give tutoring to high school players then tennis and skiing team members shouldn't be allowed to give lessons. And they shouldn't be allowed to do endorsements if football players can't. Or flip it around and everyone can. Also there needs to be some de minimis understanding of ordinary life. It shouldn't be wrong to accept a drink from someone while they want to sit down and talk to you. It's ordinary life to buy drinks for other people.It SHOULD be wrong to make billions of dollars annually off the sweat and blood of these young athletes and barely give them enough live on. College sports is the golden goose for most of the schools.

GuerillaBlack
08-18-2011, 04:54 AM
I think its just a matter of time before they find evidence linking Shapiro to giving these same "favors" (parties, women, etc) to coaches and staff in the Miami Athletic Department.

Then its "game over"...

I think the NCAA saw what happened to SMU and realized that "death penalty" was too harsh in terms of the long term effects.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Miami get hit with No Bowls for 5 years, an On-staff NCAA appointed Supervisor watching their program, and loss of numerous scholarships.

SMU didn't really help themselves adding another year onto that, plus increasing admissions standards. But the death penalty is too harsh. I don't think the Miami admin was involved like SMU's was with its scandals.