PDA

View Full Version : Choice Rex Ryan Quote

b0ng
08-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Good stuff, right? Well, Ryan wasn't ready to throw bouquets in the direction of his starting offense. Consider the opposition, he said. Indeed, the Texans are learning a new scheme under new coordinator Wade Phillips, who is installing a 3-4 system -- no easy talk when you miss the entire offseason due to a lockout.

"This defense right here isn't to our caliber," Ryan said, claiming the Texans are no match to what Sanchez & Co. face every day in practice.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6865388/new-york-jets-preseason-loss-houston-texans-showed-there-more-come

I love it when a team fails against our subpar talent.

E: Not to say that we're some great defense cause we aren't yet, but it doesn't take a Jets caliber defense to win in the NFL.

HOU-TEX
08-16-2011, 01:14 PM
I saw this too. It's true, but still very dickish.

HTown2ATX
08-16-2011, 01:15 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6865388/new-york-jets-preseason-loss-houston-texans-showed-there-more-come

I love it when a team fails against our subpar talent.

eh, he just needs to squirt a little water in it to get the sand out and he'll be fine.

Corrosion
08-16-2011, 01:30 PM
What he said was honest .... The Jets defense has been one of the best over the past few seasons , they have run the same scheme since he got there and they do it well.

Compare that to the Texans having two weeks to impliment their new scheme .... they have a lot of learning to do with a new scheme and new players at multiple poisitions - Only KJ starting at the same position as last season.

I take his comments as more a slap in the face to his own offense than a negative twards the Texans. It should be obvious to all of us that they have work to do to be anywhere near the level of the Jets defense over the past 3 seasons.

CretorFrigg
08-16-2011, 01:31 PM
I can't believe our subpar defense defeeted him. What a monumentous feet!

Allstar
08-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Choice Wade Phillips quote:

(on the number of sacks this game (7)) “I didn’t expect that many sacks, because most of the stuff we ran was base defense, and we didn’t run any blitzes. And I thought our pass rush was good.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Quotes-Texans-vs-Jets/1c60b047-9a62-4151-b71e-307dc28b55bc

Rey
Jets are going to come back to reality this year.

HJam72

Monumentous: similar to monumental, except bigger....and with feet!

CretorFrigg
08-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Monumentous: similar to monumental, except bigger....and with feet!

momentous + monumental = monumentous...a significant or large item/feet

Kimmy
08-16-2011, 01:36 PM

Our 3rd string beat his 3rd string. Let me see the 1s kill it during and after the regular season!

Sent from my Sprint EVO 3D using Tapatalk

Allstar
08-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Our 3rd string beat his 3rd string. Let me see the 1s kill it during and after the regular season!

Well at least it seems we're putting the right foot forward.

jaayteetx
08-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Kinda tough for me, one of my best buds is a big jets fan and I would hate to take joy in his misery but I hope the jets fall flat on their faces because of their arrogant ass coach.

Trap_Star
08-16-2011, 01:45 PM
sexy rexy makes my toes get really wet. i reach down and i'm soaked.

b0ng
08-16-2011, 01:52 PM

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Quotes-Texans-vs-Jets/1c60b047-9a62-4151-b71e-307dc28b55bc

How many times did we rush 5 or more defenders? I think I counted like one or two.

Texecutioner
08-16-2011, 02:00 PM
I was thinking the other day, and we've got a ton of different pieces now on defense and with a new scheme that I think is more effective in the NFL with the 3-4. I think we go from dead last on defense to a having a top 15 defense.

ObsiWan
08-16-2011, 02:01 PM
How many times did we rush 5 or more defenders? I think I counted like one or two.

I think it was more than that. But I didn't DVR the game so I can't give you a count until Weds. when NFLn replays the game.

ObsiWan
08-16-2011, 02:02 PM
I was thinking the other day, and we've got a ton of different pieces now on defense and with a new scheme that I think is more effective in the NFL with the 3-4. I think we go from dead last on defense to a having a top 15 defense.

Okay when you start getting optimistic I KNOW there's something in the koolade.
:D

Corrosion
08-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Kinda tough for me, one of my best buds is a big jets fan and I would hate to take joy in his misery but I hope the jets fall flat on their faces because of their arrogant ass coach.

I bet if Rex was coaching your team .... you'd like his arrogance.

I hate the Jets , but I really like how Rex tells it how it is and doesnt take anything for granted. He expects greatness ..... and wont tolerate any half steppin.

He's a throwback .... maybe thats what I like about the guy.

b0ng
08-16-2011, 02:05 PM
I think it was more than that. But I didn't DVR the game so I can't give you a count until Weds. when NFLn replays the game.

There were times when we rushed different positions (Like when Keo rushed, or Adibi) but it seemed like if somebody like that was rushing then another rusher was dropping into coverage (brooks reed comes to mind). I honestly did not see more than a few times where we legitimately rushed 5 or more right from the snap.

Also, the Sanchez sack in the redzone was definitely a 4 man rush.

EDIT: By posting this thread, I am not hating on Rex Ryan, and I am a fan of loudmouth brashness. His quotes are great for bulletin boards and I am sure all of his players love the hell out of him and respect him.

I don't even think his schtick is old either.

Chance_C
08-16-2011, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE][I bet if Rex was coaching your team .... you'd like his arrogance.

I hate the Jets , but I really like how Rex tells it how it is and doesnt take anything for granted. He expects greatness ..... and wont tolerate any half steppin.

/QUOTE]

Agreed. I told my wife that the only way I could like him was if he were our coach. I wish GK would get pissed like he was every now and again. I still laugh my butt off when I see him throwing that headset down.

Cjeremy635
08-16-2011, 02:10 PM

Here's the thing, I like Rex and his personality. The problem with it though is that people will get tired of it really fast if they aren't winning. It's one thing to be that boastful, but you have to back it up time and time again. If they get off to a slow start or don't make the playoffs, NYC will eat him alive and there will be an inner termoil in that locker room. Again, it's all good when you're winning.

Texecutioner
08-16-2011, 02:16 PM

I love Rex Ryan's pompous "give em hell" attitude. It reflects on his players and they all say they love playing for him, and you hear other players around the league saying they'd want to play for him. You're right that he is a throw back kind of guy.

It's a lot better than having a HC who can't even bare to watch the last play of a game.

JCTexan
08-16-2011, 02:16 PM

Perhaps. Just imagine Kubiak responding by saying, 'Well the Jets offense isn't to our caliber either'. Would that type of comment piss people off around here?

b0ng
08-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Perhaps. Just imagine Kubiak responding by saying, 'Well the Jets offense isn't to our caliber either'. Would that type of comment piss people off around here?

Not here, but certainly in New York/New Jersey it would.

Corrosion
08-16-2011, 02:34 PM

Wouldnt piss off any Texans fans .....

Not here, but certainly in New York/New Jersey it would.

I dont know , if you are completely objective ..... the Texans offense is leaps and bounds better than the Jets. Almost a polar opposite of the two teams (as we expect) defensively.

If the truth hurts .... so be it.

I love Rex Ryan's pompous "give em hell" attitude. It reflects on his players and they all say they love playing for him, and you hear other players around the league saying they'd want to play for him. You're right that he is a throw back kind of guy.

Rex reminds me of me .... I dont "want" to sound like an asshole , people just cant take the truth .... and call me an asshole.

It is what it is and if you get your panties in a wad , so what ..... do something about it.

If he's that pissed off with a team thats gone to back to back AFC Championships .... Imagine how he would be coaching a team like ..... the Bungles ?

b0ng
08-16-2011, 02:43 PM
I dont know , if you are completely objective ..... the Texans offense is leaps and bounds better than the Jets. Almost a polar opposite of the two teams (as we expect) defensively.

Lets go ahead and discuss objectivity and analysis of the New York Jets. I'll begin by

infantrycak
08-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Our 3rd string beat his 3rd string.

They never put their 3rd string QB into the game.

That aside, I am curious about the love for Rex Ryan and why this isn't being called a head coaching loss? Here is a run first team with a strong defense and what does he do? - 46 passing plays and 26 rushing plays and kept doing it all night long even when his QB's were getting mauled. Kubiak has been excoriated for far less.

The Pencil Neck
08-16-2011, 02:49 PM

You know, depending on how you judge defense, we weren't actually dead last. We were 30th in yards and 29th in points.

I'm not saying we didn't suck. Just saying we weren't dead last.

The Pencil Neck
08-16-2011, 02:50 PM
They never put their 3rd string QB into the game.

Yes. They did. They didn't put their 2nd string QB (Brunell) into the game.

infantrycak
08-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Yes. They did. They didn't put their 2nd string QB (Brunell) into the game.

I thought the radio guys said the depth chart had flipped. Either way the other part was my main point.

b0ng
08-16-2011, 03:10 PM
I thought the radio guys said the depth chart had flipped. Either way the other part was my main point.

Brunnell didn't play cause he did something to his finger. Normally Brunnell would've played opposite Hot Tub Matt and the McElroy would've been opposite Yates.

I doubt seriously that McElroy is higher than Brunnell on the depth chart for any other reason other than injury. If I'm the Jets and both are healthy and Sanchez goes down, I'm probably putting the old man in there first.

jaayteetx
08-16-2011, 03:15 PM

Mmm, maybe, but he isn't and I don't...screw the jets and their coach.

Texecutioner
08-16-2011, 03:28 PM

I'd love it.

Texecutioner
08-16-2011, 03:30 PM
You know, depending on how you judge defense, we weren't actually dead last. We were 30th in yards and 29th in points.

I'm not saying we didn't suck. Just saying we weren't dead last.

I don't ever care about what yards and all those other meaningless stats say on offense or defense when it comes to judging who the best or worst teams are on both sides.

I go by PPG average or points you either scored or had scored against you.

If we were 29th as far as PPG than we were 29th.

IDEXAN
08-16-2011, 03:34 PM
I have doubts the Jets get into the playoffs this year: their Oline looks like crap, especially considering when our #1 D guys whip up on their offensive starters who are used to seeing a 3-4 everyday at practice. And the qb. kick return, do eveything Brad Smoith is now playing for the Bills, and BS might be the top offensive weapon they had last lear. Then they had the defection of
Ellis to the Pats. I take it back, I think the Pats win that division, and the Bills or 'Phins are runnerup to the Pats.

b0ng
08-16-2011, 03:39 PM
I have doubts the Jets get into the playoffs this year: their Oline looks like crap, especially considering when our #1 D guys whip up on their offensive starters who are used to seeing a 3-4 everyday at practice. And the qb. kick return, do eveything Brad Smoith is now playing for the Bills, and BS might be the top offensive weapon they had last lear. Then they had the defection of
Ellis to the Pats. I take it back, I think the Pats win that division, and the Bills or 'Phins are runnerup to the Pats.

I think the Jets problems are going to center around mostly still not having a good passing game (Sorry, but I'm not a big believer in the Sanchez and while he was efficient in the short game, I'm not sold yet on him getting TD's from the redzone) and not being able to dial up pressure without rushing 5 to 7 guys. Outside of that though the Jets are still very good at what they do (Constant pressure by the defense, really good OLine and running game), and I don't believe that their line is going to be that bad, unless they need their backups to see significant time.

They would have to melt down pretty badly to fall below the Dolphins this year, they could theoretically get passed by the Bills, but then your depending on the Bills to not fail horrifically. I'd take the Jets on that bet too.

Thorn
08-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Don't count Rex ButtMouth Ryan's team out yet. He's a jerk, but he's also a motivator.

Double Barrel
08-16-2011, 03:41 PM
His offense barely beat our horrid defense last season, iirc. We should have won that game if our DB was in the right place to keep the WR in bounds and the clock running.

Rex Ryan is entertaining, but he's still a pompous a-hole. I wonder how great of a coach he'd be if the Lions hired him. I'd like to see him go through a cycle or two of losing before crowning him great at this point. Blowhards like him tend to lose teams when the team is down. Remember all the trash he talked in the playoffs last year about the Colts and Patriots? The talk inspired his team. But he didn't say squat about the Steelers. The team came out flat because he was a scared little Rex, painting himself into his own little corner.

I'm not a Jets fan, with or without Rex, so I hope they suck it this year.

Texecutioner
08-16-2011, 03:48 PM
His offense barely beat our horrid defense last season, iirc. We should have won that game if our DB was in the right place to keep the WR in bounds and the clock running.

Rex Ryan is entertaining, but he's still a pompous a-hole. I wonder how great of a coach he'd be if the Lions hired him.

My guess is that he'd have them very competitive right now. The Jets weren't stacked when he got there and no one was expecting them to be some extrodinary team. He got them to like 8-8 or 9-7 his first season and over achieved into the AFC title game. Like the guy or not, his schitick has been effective and he has built a team with a lot of great players very quickly.

I'd like to see him go through a cycle or two of losing before crowning him great at this point. Blowhards like him tend to lose teams when the team is down. Remember all the trash he talked in the playoffs last year about the Colts and Patriots? The talk inspired his team. But he didn't say squat about the Steelers. The team came out flat because he was a scared little Rex, painting himself into his own little corner.

Where do you get scared little Rex from?? Lol! Because you didn't hear him say a ton of trash talk against a particular team that they happened to lose to, he all of a sudden became scared?? I don't buy into that.

I'm not a Jets fan, with or without Rex, so I hope they suck it this year.

I hope they suck as well, but I don't think that will be the case.

The Pencil Neck
08-16-2011, 03:49 PM

Their o-line might have looked bad but remember that Mangold, their #1 center, didn't even dress for the game. Then their #2 center went down early on and a #3 guy, a UDFA who wasn't even on the team a week ago, took most of the snaps.

I think there was another starter out from their line, too, but I'm not positive about that.

And they were still gouging us up the gut.

Perki-Perk
08-16-2011, 03:54 PM
But he didn't say squat about the Steelers. The team came out flat because he was a scared little Rex, painting himself into his own little corner.

Why did this bring up visions of Waterboy when the coach was on the phone with his grandma wearing high heels??

spurstexanstros
08-16-2011, 05:17 PM

no blitzes? what the heck was that then , have we as texans fans been so starved for blitzes that we dont know what they look like. I guess so.

DocBar
08-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Okay when you start getting optimistic I KNOW there's something in the koolade.
:DTook the words right out of my mouth. Good for you, Texecutioner. I hope you nailed this one.

TEXANRED
08-16-2011, 05:32 PM

The only reason we lost to them last year was because we had Jason Bell as a starting CB.......................Shit.

Rey
08-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Rex is a jackass. He's probably a good coach, but people like that often end up being humbled.

False Start
08-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Oh well let him talk all the smack he wants, talking sh!t aint saying sh!t. :yawn:

Shaft75
08-16-2011, 10:44 PM
Rex for his rants, ESPN for showing only Jet highlights and basically shlobbin the Jets knob, and the Jets just by default.

RTP2110
08-16-2011, 10:47 PM
MSR. I agree 100%. But I guess it's to be expected from the parties involved.

Trap_Star
08-16-2011, 10:49 PM
until we become a consistent, successful team...it's expected.

Pantherstang84
08-16-2011, 10:51 PM
until we become a east coast team...it's expected.

fify

Trap_Star
08-16-2011, 10:52 PM
fify

sure, but a team like the saints can't complain anymore.

Corrosion
08-16-2011, 11:45 PM
until we become a consistent, successful team...it's expected.

Hell , this team could win the Superbowl and ESPN would talk about a NY team ..... They are infatuated with the NY market and its 20million+ viewers.

Texecutioner
08-16-2011, 11:48 PM
Hell , this team could win the Superbowl and ESPN would talk about a NY team ..... They are infatuated with the NY market and its 20million+ viewers.

And that's exactly why I don't want to see LA getting a team even though I know they will at some point. They may have less viewers but with them being in the huge media capital as well around Hollywood, they'd get constant coverage no matter how good or bad they were.

Playoffs
08-16-2011, 11:49 PM
Forget Rex and his fat mouth, Jets are in our rearview mirror.

Maybe we'll play them next season.

Pantherstang84
08-17-2011, 07:03 AM

Actually, I think not. I'm a put up or shut up type of guy. Talk and bragging don't impress me. Just get it done. So far Rexy hasn't.

Double Barrel
08-17-2011, 09:07 AM
My guess is that he'd have them very competitive right now. The Jets weren't stacked when he got there and no one was expecting them to be some extrodinary team. He got them to like 8-8 or 9-7 his first season and over achieved into the AFC title game. Like the guy or not, his schitick has been effective and he has built a team with a lot of great players very quickly.

Dude, he took over a 9-7 team. They had talent, which is why he was able to go to the AFC Championship game in his first season.

His "schitick" works well when the team is talented and the players buy into it. But, once the losing starts, he goes from being a motivator to an a-hole in the players' perspectives. All I'm saying is let's see him do the cycle and bring a team back from Suckville before crowning him.

And give me a break with your revisionist history about the Lions. The 2008 Jets at 9-7 were far better than anything the Lions have fielded for decades.

Where do you get scared little Rex from?? Lol! Because you didn't hear him say a ton of trash talk against a particular team that they happened to lose to, he all of a sudden became scared?? I don't buy into that.

It was a figure of speech mixed with a little sarcasm.

The point was that he was brash for two round of playoffs, talking trash in the media to get his team fired up. And it worked, beating two solid rivals. But, where was his "schitick" against the Steelers? He said nothing but loving kiss-ass stuff about them, and the results are his team was not inspired and got their asses handed to them. It's a direct correlation. His team needs his mouth to run for inspiration, and when they needed him the most, he shied away from it. The Steelers did not need bulletin board material. His team does.

You don't have to buy into anything because I'm not selling anything. :howdy:

Texan_Bill
08-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Rex Ryan = Jerry Glanville....... Characters. Fun and good quotes, but nothing more than a good side show!

BTW, Hey Rex how does it feel to get punched in the mouth by a "finesse" team??

ChampionTexan
08-17-2011, 10:00 AM
Rex Ryan = Jerry Glanville....... Characters. Fun and good quotes, but nothing more than a good side show!

BTW, Hey Rex how does it feel to get punched in the mouth by a "finesse" team??

Actually, Glanville took over a team that had gone a cumulative 10-38 the three seasons before he was promoted to HC, and had gone the 5 post-Phillips seasons without a playoff appearance. He had them in the playoffs in his second year.

Rex on the other hand took over a team who had gone 23-25 the previous three seasons, which included two winning seasons and a playoff berth.

While he never made it to a conference championship, it's not hard to argue that Glanville accomplished more with the Texans than Rex has thus far with the Jets.

I appreciate Glanville for what he did for the franchise, but I was absolutely thrilled the day he left. He became an embarassment, and a cartoon character, and in my mind, that really makes it tough to enjoy any success they achieved on the field. It didn't take long for me to go from being an excited fan of the new Head Coach to absolutely loathing the man.

I think Rex's act would wear very thin, very fast if he were "My" coach much like Glanville's did. It will be interesting to see what the reaction will be if the 2011 Jets fall short of the success of the '09 & '10 Jets. I'm not talking about the fans or the media, I'm talking about the players, coaches and the organization. I think there's a pretty good chance it happens, and my guess is they don't deal with it well.

Texan_Bill
08-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Actually, Glanville took over a team that had gone a cumulative 10-38 the three seasons before he was promoted to HC, and had gone the 5 post-Phillips seasons without a playoff appearance. He had them in the playoffs in his second year.

Rex on the other hand took over a team who had gone 23-25 the previous three seasons, which included two winning seasons and a playoff berth.

While he never made it to a conference championship, it's not hard to argue that Glanville accomplished more with the Texans than Rex has thus far with the Jets.

I appreciate Glanville for what he did for the franchise, but I was absolutely thrilled the day he left. He became an embarassment, and a cartoon character, and in my mind, that really makes it tough to enjoy any success they achieved on the field. It didn't take long for me to go from being an excited fan of the new Head Coach to absolutely loathing the man.

I think Rex's act would wear very thin, very fast if he were "My" coach much like Glanville's did. It will be interesting to see what the reaction will be if the 2011 Jets fall short of the success of the '09 & '10 Jets. I'm not talking about the fans or the media, I'm talking about the players, coaches and the organization. I think there's a pretty good chance it happens, and my guess is they don't deal with it well.

Way too much analysis for two guys that are both clowns. :turtle:

infantrycak
08-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Dude, he took over a 9-7 team.

And took that team to ... 9-7 and one that anyone has to say honestly most likely would have been 8-8 had the Colts played to win. No playoffs, worse record - how is that bluster looking then?

Allstar
08-17-2011, 10:54 AM
And took that team to ... 9-7 and one that anyone has to say honestly most likely would have been 8-8 had the Colts played to win. No playoffs, worse record - how is that bluster looking then?

Don't forget Cincy laying down for them in week 17. Cost us a playoff spot.

Lucky
08-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Not to say that we're some great defense cause we aren't yet, but it doesn't take a Jets caliber defense to win in the NFL.
Only the Colts, among the AFC playoff teams, fell below the league's top 11 defenses. So no, you don't have to have a top defense. As long as your QB is Peyton Manning.
The Jets won the games they needed to win (including opening day against the Texans), then proved '09 wasn't a fluke by going to the AFC championship game again, in 2010. The Texans proved that 9-7 was a fluke by going 6-10 the following year. Bluster or not, Ryan is getting the job done in New York.