PDA

View Full Version : Some Observations After Being At The Game Mostly D Related

gary
08-16-2011, 11:46 AM
I think Chris Ogbonnaya is definitely a keeper especially with the uncertainty of Ben Tate and the fumbling issues with Slaton. The O line did an awesome job of moving the pile and creating holes for Ogbonnaya throughout the night.

Adibi, Dobbins, and Braman all showed up to play and they were all over the place making plays on the field. I hope they all make the team including Braman who seem to be high motor guys and those sacks were pretty impressive and I don't care if it was against second or third stringers I was still giddy. This team could use his energy and attitude no matter who it was against JMO.

JJ Watt and Jessie Nading looked very sharp while Williams and Ryans looked like they still need more reps and work. Not much to say other than both of them are coming off injuries in 2010 and one was worse than the other but I think they will be a lot better by the season opener I hope so.

My sleepers on D for this game are Stephen Friday with 1.5 sacks as well as well Torrie Williams.

Overall all I think the D did a very fine job with 7 sacks. The pressure on both QB's was something to be excited and encouraged about it was something we have not seen sense the first half of 2009 under Frank Bush and everyone knows what happened after that. All and all color me very pleased after the the first preseason game but it is just that preseason. I hope things continue to progress.

Vinnie
08-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Yep, I think Ogbonnaya may be the hammer that pounds the final nail in the SS coffin. I don't see them giving up on Tate just yet.

I was impressed with the rookies too, I think they made a lot of fans last night. I couldn't believe how loud it got in the fourth quarter with nearly an empty stadium and a preseason game at that!

badboy
08-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Agree with your P.O.V.

Goatcheese
08-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Slaton hasn't fumbled in the regular season since his neck surgery. Sure he's only had 61 touches but zero is zero. Especially compared to 7 fumbles in 175 touches before the surgery.

If he is really healthy I would MUCH rather have Slaton that Ogbonnaya. People forget how good he was when healthy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPEjCWyQ6yA

gary
08-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Something on the offense was that Linert did outplay Shaub but the first team did not play for too long and Shaub just threw the ball five times. Might Linert be starting for another team soon? I think so.

gary
08-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Slaton hasn't fumbled in the regular season since his neck surgery. Sure he's only had 61 touches but zero is zero. Especially compared to 7 fumbles in 175 touches before the surgery.

If he is really healthy I would MUCH rather have Slaton that Ogbonnaya. People forget how good he was when healthy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPEjCWyQ6yAI have been to practice and fumbling was still an issue with him.

Chance_C
08-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Something on the offense was that Linert did outplay Shaub but the first team did not play for too long and Shaub just threw the ball five times. Might Linert be starting for another team soon? I think so.

Matt should have been 4-5. OD and KW should have caught the ball. Were they perfect passes? NO.. Were they catchable? For sure..
Was pleased with the backup QB play. If something were to happen to Schaub, I'm thinking that Matt L. could be adequate.

GuerillaBlack
08-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Give me Slaton over Chris Ogbonnaya. CO had absolutely no vision running the ball. Dude just ran straight into piles, as big holes opened up around him. Only time he did well was when he caught wide open passes. TBH, I don't know what all the hype about him was about, but he is our only healthy RB currently.

gary
08-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Matt should have been 4-5. OD and KW should have caught the ball. Were they perfect passes? NO.. Were they catchable? For sure..
Was pleased with the backup QB play. If something were to happen to Schaub, I'm thinking that Matt L. could be adequate.Maybe. But, why would he wait around here?

badboy
08-16-2011, 12:49 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPEjCWyQ6yADid not know that. Thanks for info.

gary
08-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Give me Slaton over Chris Ogbonnaya. CO had absolutely no vision running the ball. Dude just ran straight into piles, as big holes opened up around him. Only time he did well was when he caught wide open passes. TBH, I don't know what all the hype about him was about, but he is our only healthy RB currently.I did not say cut Steve but disagree about Chris but maybe it was just a product of good line play.

Trail.Blazr
08-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Maybe. But, why would he wait around here?

I wasn't at the game, but the MNF crew spoke some to this and indicated that Leinart is a big fan of the system here, the staff here and felt this a great place to re-gain his confidence and grow as a professional QB. Take it for face value, I suppose, but even if he does get traded, If he continues to play as he did last night, his stock is rising. I'd prefer him stay this season as backup, who has veteran tangibles, and give TJ a full year of development, as what we saw of TJ in pre-week 1, he has enough upside to fill in should Matty Hot-tub do the inevitable and move on.

gary
08-16-2011, 12:58 PM
I wasn't at the game, but the MNF crew spoke some to this and indicated that Leinart is a big fan of the system here, the staff here and felt this a great place to re-gain his confidence and grow as a professional QB. Take it for face value, I suppose, but even if he does get traded, If he continues to play as he did last night, his stock is rising. I'd prefer him stay this season as backup, who has veteran tangibles, and give TJ a full year of development, as what we saw of TJ in pre-week 1, he has enough upside to fill in should Matty Hot-tub do the inevitable and move on.I agree.

House of Pain
08-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Leinart is a major upgrade over Dan O. based on his ability to complete a pass semi-regularly. However, he has historically, and still continues to show a reluctance or inability to throw a mid-to-long range pass. This is the reason he got run out of Arizona; he couldn't get the ball to Fitzgerald.

I believe he could work if Schaub was out for a game or two. BUT...unless he magically learns to do something he has failed to do for his entire career, there is no way that any NFL defense will not force him to throw the deep ball and stack the box. Between this and the Cover 2 is the same reason Mr. Mittens has taken his beautiful, beautiful hair elsewhere.

HJam72
08-16-2011, 01:01 PM
I agree that Ogbannaya (spelling?) lacked vision in his running game. I liked his effort and toughness, but I don't see him replacing anybody until he starts seeing things more clearly. As mentioned, were it not for Kubiak's play-calling, short dump-offs, and miles and miles of green pasture, Ogbann--whatever, #27--would have had about 37 yds. on the ground....and that's about it...

He's got time to get better and he ain't gettin' cut this week, so we'll see.

Chance_C
08-16-2011, 01:05 PM

Because this is his best opportunity to make the most of his talent. He speaks very highly of Kubiak and he is learning how to be a pro QB. This is just what he needed to revive his career and he's intelligent enough to realize it. Hope we never have to see him during regular season unless it's mop up duty because we are blowing someone out.

srrono
08-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Yep, I think Ogbonnaya may be the hammer that pounds the final nail in the SS coffin. I don't see them giving up on Tate just yet.

I was impressed with the rookies too, I think they made a lot of fans last night. I couldn't believe how loud it got in the fourth quarter with nearly an empty stadium and a preseason game at that!

i was not impressed by RB Ogbonnaya 17 carries for 37 yards (2.1 yards per carry) sure he had a good receiving game but the big yardage catches really could have been any of our RBs they were missed coverages.

ObsiWan
08-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Give me Slaton over Chris Ogbonnaya. CO had absolutely no vision running the ball. Dude just ran straight into piles, as big holes opened up around him. Only time he did well was when he caught wide open passes. TBH, I don't know what all the hype about him was about, but he is our only healthy RB currently.

- Ben Tate is making second round money and has only two, count 'em, TWO carries.
- Slaton - to his credit - is trying to win his job back. Everyone around here is just waiting to pounce if he even acts like he might fumble.
- Foster? Well, in some quarters on this very msg board there seems to be a discussion on whether he's going to be the dreaded "one-year-wonder". We'll see.
Chris O KNOWS this is his only shot. And like Foster last year, he's playing scared - as in scared to blow this chance. If he's hurt, he ain't tellin' nobody because he KNOWS that, compared to the other guys, he's the one on a short leash.
I think the term for that is "hungry". For me anyway, it's good to see that.

JWarren14
08-16-2011, 01:15 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPEjCWyQ6yA

Man 2008 Steve Slaton and 2010 Arian Foster together would have been nasty.

At the 0:50 mark makes me miss Leach.

1) Foster 2)Ward 3) CO 4) SS

Can we put Tate on the PS? Seems like he needs to get a little wake-up call. He is unproven and injury prone. I'd rather have SS based on experience, still injury concerns, but at least he has proven he can play in the league.

A little concerned with stopping the run, but maybe with some more reps and getting a healthy and conditioned DeMeco and Cushing in the middle will help. Sharpton looked good from what I remember (too many beers).

ChampionTexan
08-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Man 2008 Steve Slaton and 2010 Arian Foster together would have been nasty.

At the 0:50 mark makes me miss Leach.

1) Foster 2)Ward 3) CO 4) SS

Can we put Tate on the PS? Seems like he needs to get a little wake-up call. He is unproven and injury prone. I'd rather have SS based on experience, still injury concerns, but at least he has proven he can play in the league.

A little concerned with stopping the run, but maybe with some more reps and getting a healthy and conditioned DeMeco and Cushing in the middle will help. Sharpton looked good from what I remember (too many beers).

He's got PS eligibility, but I'm thinking a very recent 2nd round draft pick who's only making $405,000 this year, and has never shown anything negative in an NFL game (with the obvious exception of showing the ability to get injured in a preseason game) isn't going to last for very long on the waiver wire.

Corrosion
08-16-2011, 01:41 PM

Cause he's under contract for two years. :bubbles:

Porky
08-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Good stuff Gary. I have to disagree on OB27. I thought he was very pedestrian and a 3rd or 4th RB at best based on last night. 37 yards rushing when he was basically "it" for the vast majority of the game doesn't impress me. Granted, the Jets D is a very stout run D, but he didn't always seem to find the crease or the hole that tried to open.

In his favor, he does appear to have very good hands. I think his best role is a 3rd down pass catching back on a team that is not as deep as ours. For us, I would say keep the four that are all clearly better, and put OB27 on the PS or release him and see if he can catch on elsewhere. Tate will surely reinjure himself so the PS makes some sense.

gary
08-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Cause he's under contract for two years. :bubbles:After that, he will only be thirty.