PDA

View Full Version : Ogbonnaya Ogbonnaya Ogbonnaya Ogbonnaya Ogbonnaya

Dutchrudder
08-16-2011, 09:11 AM
Chris Ogbonnaya #27 - pronounced 'O - bo - ny - a' (the G is silent!) Get used to it, because he should be around this season. Practice by saying it 5 times fast!

Experience: 2nd season - Previously with the Rams
Born: 5/20/1986
Hometown: Houston, TX
Height: 6-0
Weight: 225
College: Texas

I think this guy will wind up as our short yardage RB and Slaton will be cut. He showed he was capable of doing everything necessary out there last night. He blocked a few times, he didn't drop any passes, and he showed some power on a few runs. He doesn't have the top end breakaway speed that Foster possesses, but I think he has other tools that we have lacked in our RB corps. He looked tough out there and I think we will see a lot more of him in the next few weeks. It's obvious Slaton's future isn't getting better any time soon, so I think it's best for the team to move on to Ogbonnaya who has yet to reach his potential.

http://www.statesman.com/multimedia/dynamic/01055/HTT130_1055523e.jpg
Houston Texans running back Chris Ogbonnaya (27) celebrates his touchdown run with wide receiver Jacoby Jones (12) during the fourth quarter of an NFL preseason football game against the New York Jets

Craig.
08-16-2011, 09:26 AM
PA guy hit him first with the ogg-bun-eye-uh then went to o-bun-yai-uh.

HOU-TEX
08-16-2011, 09:32 AM
I know it wasn't all Chris' fault, but our running game sucked last night. I'm going to re-watch the game again but it seemed like the ZB was not looking very sycronized. Maybe it's just me. It just seemed like the oline would end up in a big pile and Obi would run into the pile then attempt to break outside.

On another note, Vickers will be our starting FB come opening day. Casey did ok but Vickers did better.

WolverineFan
08-16-2011, 09:36 AM
He was just as good as Slaton out of the backfield, but he could also pick up a blitz and block. Seeing as how Slaton has no value to the team since he's not returning kicks anymore they might as well get rid of him.

ArlingtonTexan
08-16-2011, 09:39 AM
I did not see anything from him as runner that excites me. Was better at catching passes, but overall game was very JAGlike. If everybody is healthy I don't see him on the final 53.

CloakNNNdagger
08-16-2011, 09:49 AM
As much as one would want to praise Ogbonnaya for playing almost the entire game, he wasn't worked to death running. He only carried 17 times in total........and put up 2.2 Yds per carry. His 15 yd longest run itself would have accounted for almost 1 yd per carry.......and total yds rushing was only 37........a good part of that against 2nd and 3rd Ds. To his credit, he did manage 67 yds in 6 receptions.......but one accounted for 29 yds of that. He was the best we had last night. I would hope that we do not think that this gives him any semblance of a "proven" factor. Maybe he will develop. But excitement based on last night is a little over the top.

WolverineFan
08-16-2011, 09:51 AM
As much as one would want to praise Ogbonnaya for playing almost the entire game, he wasn't worked to death running. He only carried 17 times in total........and put up 2.2 Yds per carry. His 15 yd longest run itself would have accounted for almost 1 yd per carry.......and total yds rushing was only 37........a good part of that against 2nd and 3rd Ds. To his credit, he did manage 67 yds in 6 receptions.......but one accounted for 29 yds of that. He was the best we had last night. I would hope that we do not think that this gives him any semblance of a "proven" factor. Maybe he will develop. But excitement based on last night is a little over the top.

In his defense the 2nd string o-line was not good and the 3rd string line was awful. I can't remember a carry in the 2nd half where he got the handoff and didn't get hit at the line.

srrono
08-16-2011, 12:01 PM
i was not impressed by RB Ogbonnaya 17 carries for 37 yards (2.1 yards per carry) sure he had a good receiving game but the big yardage catches really could have been any of our RBs they were missed coverages.

SAMURAITEXAN
08-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Although he helped us Win, isn't it too early to judge this guy? Interested in seeing him run more.

Go Texans!!!

TEXANRED
08-16-2011, 12:06 PM
If he makes the team we should dub him OB1.

srrono
08-16-2011, 12:20 PM
i was not impressed by RB Ogbonnaya 17 carries for 37 yards (2.1 yards per carry) sure he had a good receiving game but the big yardage catches really could have been any of our RBs they were missed coverages.

Receiving 6-67yards with a long of 29 had 1 rush 1 receiving TD I recorded the game going to watch it again tonight maybe im missing something?

Corrosion
08-16-2011, 12:20 PM

He didnt light it up rushing but he did everything else right - Especially pass protection and recieving.

Mari-OWNED!
08-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Averaging 2.2 yards a carry shouldn't be worthy of starting an Ogbonnaya thread... At best he will give Ben Tate a run for the 3rd RB job.

ArlingtonTexan
08-16-2011, 12:22 PM

There is an Ogbonnaya thread near the top of the board. No reason to start another.

Thorn
08-16-2011, 12:26 PM
I think they only keep three backs don't they? If they only keep three, that'll be Foster, Tate and Ward. If they keep four, it'll be between Obbonnaya and Slaton. Last year they only kept three, four if you include Leach at the halfback position.

Slaton and Ogbonnaya could both be gone by the end of preseason. I know Slaton isn't eligable for the practice squad, I don't know if Ogbonnaya is or not though.

Ryan
08-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Our zone blocking usually gets better as the season progresses, seemed just like early preseason rust to me.

The Pencil Neck
08-16-2011, 12:28 PM
He came in. He did what he needed to do. He didn't run the ball all that well but he did make some catches out of the backfield and he did block.

For me, he's JAG. Gotta hand it to him for his heart, and I hope he ends up on the PS.

sandman
08-16-2011, 12:32 PM

Everyone roots for the local kid to do well.

And it's not his fault that the other backs were in street clothes and didn't make any plays. Doesn't mean that a 100 combo yards in the first pre-season game from a #5 on the RB depth chart isn't worth a slap on the back. No need to hate on the kid...

Thorn
08-16-2011, 12:32 PM
LOL, just read up on this guy. how many here know that he's ALREADY been on the Texans practice squad since September of 2010?

ChampionTexan
08-16-2011, 12:36 PM
PA guy hit him first with the ogg-bun-eye-uh then went to o-bun-yai-uh.

On NFL Live after the game, Trey Wingo kept pronouncing it "O-Bawn-Ya" (The last two syllables sounding similar to the Spanish word for bathroom). I can understand mispronouncing his name under some circumstances, but he should have just watched a broadcast where the name was being pronounced correctly (at least most of the time), and it was a piss-poor guess regardless of the circumstances.

ArlingtonTexan
08-16-2011, 12:36 PM
LOL, just read up on this guy. how many here know that he's ALREADY been on the Texans practice squad since September of 2010?

:secret:

dream_team
08-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Before we cut Slaton, let's at least give him a chance to show whether he's improved this season.

TimeKiller
08-16-2011, 12:50 PM
I know it wasn't all Chris' fault, but our running game sucked last night. I'm going to re-watch the game again but it seemed like the ZB was not looking very sycronized. Maybe it's just me. It just seemed like the oline would end up in a big pile and Obi would run into the pile then attempt to break outside.
Looked to me like everyone was trying to stay healthy.

On another note, Vickers will be our starting FB come opening day. Casey did ok but Vickers did better.
I gotta say (I'm starting to kick the snot outta this horse) that's pretty false. Casey was all over the place, laying blocks, getting open against the Jets' 1st team. Vickers was practically invisible. It's JC's job and he did nothing to lose it. Frankly, Vickers better show something mighty or his roster spot is probably in jeopardy.

I did not see anything from him as runner that excites me. Was better at catching passes, but overall game was very JAGlike. If everybody is healthy I don't see him on the final 53.
Yeah. Give the man credit, health is no joke right now but he was very, very Ryan Moats-ish: Ok but not really.

I did, actually....I think he was picked up around the same time that other RB from Tenneesssee I think...his name....was....Jane? Or Chris Henry? Or something like that?

ObsiWan
08-16-2011, 12:50 PM

Averaging 2.2 yards a carry shouldn't be worthy of starting an Ogbonnaya thread... At best he will give Ben Tate a run for the 3rd RB job.

Wow. Tough :pissed:audience.:bat:

I think Chris did well considering there was no one to give him a blow. Saying he only had 17 carries is selling him short. It's not like he got to leave the game if he wasn't going to carry the ball. I defy any of you to find someone who had more snaps than he did last night. Anyone?

Having said that, I was way more impressed with his pass catching and blitz pickup (I saw him stonewall more than one blitzer last night) than his running. He needs to learn patience and not just slam into the pile as he seemed to do repeatedly.

Brisco_County
08-16-2011, 12:59 PM
I always thought Ogbonnaya would be a perfect fit on this team as a one-cut runner, having watched him all through college, and I even thought we'd draft him late. But he definitely has some studying to do. Even though he moved the pile a couple of times, he was not choosing his lane too well. It was very Slatonesque.

What bothered me most is that he was not following Casey's excellent blocking. Casey was out there standing guys up, overpowering them, stopping them dead, and Ogbonnaya was somewhere else. It was frustrating to watch, but I'm still rooting for him to make the team.

Edit: Also keep in mind that he played almost the entire game while going against fresh defenders every quarter.

HOU-TEX
08-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Looked to me like everyone was trying to stay healthy.

I gotta say (I'm starting to kick the snot outta this horse) that's pretty false. Casey was all over the place, laying blocks, getting open against the Jets' 1st team. Vickers was practically invisible. It's JC's job and he did nothing to lose it. Frankly, Vickers better show something mighty or his roster spot is probably in jeopardy.

Like I said, I'm going to re-watch the game. However, at first glance it appeared Casy wasn't moving his blocks after first contact. I like Casey a lot, but imo he doesn't have the power a FB should have in order to knock blocks out of the hole. We'll see what happens in the next couple weeks.

Kimmy
08-16-2011, 01:37 PM
If he makes the team we should dub him OB1.

Love

prostock101
08-16-2011, 01:51 PM
Does anyone think we'll carry 4 RB's this year? Especially with the injuries being such an issue early on?

I thought Obiwan did pretty well considering. Vickers had a nice catch and run for a guy who Cleveland said can't catch.

HOU-TEX
08-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Like I said, I'm going to re-watch the game. However, at first glance it appeared Casy wasn't moving his blocks after first contact. I like Casey a lot, but imo he doesn't have the power a FB should have in order to knock blocks out of the hole. We'll see what happens in the next couple weeks.

I just read LZ's blog and he came away with the same impression.

•James Casey was a willing blocker as a fullback to be sure. He had zero hesitation at finding his assignment and putting a helmet on that man. Unfortunately for Casey, he wasn’t able to move guys after initial collision and too often, there were stalemates in the hole. I did notice Casey dropping his shoulder and laying into David Harris on one outside run which leads me to believe that Casey might be best suited in space blocking on the outside zones as opposed to collisions between the tackles. The effort is definitely there for Casey though.

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2011/08/thoughts-on-texansjets-and-an-inside-look-and-listen-at-bryan-braman/

The Pencil Neck
08-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Does anyone think we'll carry 4 RB's this year? Especially with the injuries being such an issue early on?

I thought Obiwan did pretty well considering. Vickers had a nice catch and run for a guy who Cleveland said can't catch.

I think we go 4 RBs: Foster, Ward, Tate, Slaton. Ogbonnaya will go to the PS.

The question is whether we keep both Casey and Vickers. Very rare to see a team carry two FBs but we've done it before.

prostock101
08-16-2011, 04:34 PM
I think we go 4 RBs: Foster, Ward, Tate, Slaton. Ogbonnaya will go to the PS.

The question is whether we keep both Casey and Vickers. Very rare to see a team carry two FBs but we've done it before.

If he clears waivers. I would assume Casey and Vickers are locks as Casey can play TE, FB, LS, ST and......Hmmmm, thought there was one more. Anyhoo, I'd rather see us less one TE than one RB but we all know how much Kubes has a bromance with TE's.

EllisUnit
08-16-2011, 07:52 PM
Chris Ogbonnaya #27 - pronounced 'O - bo - ny - a' (the G is silent!) Get used to it, because he should be around this season. Practice by saying it 5 times fast!

Experience: 2nd season - Previously with the Rams
Born: 5/20/1986
Hometown: Houston, TX
Height: 6-0
Weight: 225
College: Texas

I think this guy will wind up as our short yardage RB and Slaton will be cut. He showed he was capable of doing everything necessary out there last night. He blocked a few times, he didn't drop any passes, and he showed some power on a few runs. He doesn't have the top end breakaway speed that Foster possesses, but I think he has other tools that we have lacked in our RB corps. He looked tough out there and I think we will see a lot more of him in the next few weeks. It's obvious Slaton's future isn't getting better any time soon, so I think it's best for the team to move on to Ogbonnaya who has yet to reach his potential.

http://www.statesman.com/multimedia/dynamic/01055/HTT130_1055523e.jpg
Houston Texans running back Chris Ogbonnaya (27) celebrates his touchdown run with wide receiver (12) during the fourth quarter of an NFL preseason football game against the New York Jets

To me i think he needs to work on vision, every time he would hit the whole he would lower his head and run straight into the backs of our own guys, in this scheme especially on first down you need to have ur eyes up looking for cut back lanes. I just didnt see enough from him in 1 pre season game to throw slaton out and let him waltz on in and take the job.

prostock101
08-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Slaton had the same problem last year. He never waited for a hole to open and cut through it. He just ran into someone and fell down.......

EllisUnit
08-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Slaton had the same problem last year. He never waited for a hole to open and cut through it. He just ran into someone and fell down.......

steve slaton had a 4.9 yard avg per carry last season, not really to shabby imo. And when i do remember seeing him he was making good cuts and hitting the right holes.

MEGA SWATT
08-16-2011, 08:13 PM
He was just as good as Slaton out of the backfield, but he could also pick up a blitz and block. Seeing as how Slaton has no value to the team since he's not returning kicks anymore they might as well get rid of him.

You Can't Cut This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmNfcyy3NXo
He didn't fumble one time in that clip:kitten:
http://oddtrite.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/6567-mc-hammer1.jpg

srrono
08-16-2011, 08:24 PM
What the HELL were you watching?? First of all, Casey was not "standing guys up" by any means. You might want to hit up your DVR & take your blinders off because that's one of the dumbest things I've heard in a while. Casey is not a bruiser... He can block in space, but he did a poor job creating a hole when the OLine failed to create one. Ogbonnaya did a GREAT job last night.. sure there were yards left on the field, but it's not like he was going against chopped liver. Whether it's 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Jets team Defense... it's still a Rex Ryan coached defense, and it's hard as hell to run on no matter what. Ogbonnaya is a high character player, who will respect his role on the team, and come to play whenever his number is called... oh yea, the dude can stay healthy. Easy decision, cut Slaton and Tate, keep Ogbonnaya & either Nading or Brahman.

this is such a joke kid ran for a 2.1 yard per carry average and u think he is a beast. now watch next week Tate plays gets a 3.1 yard per carry average and u will be saying trade foster Tate is the second coming of Earl Cambell lol

gary
08-16-2011, 08:30 PM
He is not the best runner but if he plays well overall then he should make the team.

Doppelganger
08-16-2011, 08:33 PM

The best place for him would be on the PS to develop.

We need to go into the year with Foster, Ward, and Tate as our RBs.

Texan_Bill
08-16-2011, 08:35 PM

I agree with Vickers over Casey, however, I thought the ZB was "okay" but not bad. Remember this is the Rex Ryan Jets..... Remember this is the same defense (sans Jenkins) where Kris Jenkins made Chris Meyers his girlfriend!!!

srrono
08-16-2011, 08:44 PM
hey, rtard, keep in mind who he was facing... only the coach who is the BEST at stopping the run. anywho... the way our qb's were throwing last night, the jets knew exactly when we were going to run. Also, when did i say he was a beast? you're the typical ignorant htown sports fan that I can't stand... you're prolly the one clamoring ausmus to be in the all star game a few years back, while preaching that stevie franchise is the truth, and all david carr needs is a good oline... get a grip kid, come back to me when you actually know what you're talking about.

Keep in mind who he was facing? its a preseason game with vanilla defenses and after the 1st couple of series he was running vs scrubs yet his rushing numbers did not increase. He is a JAG. 17 for 37yds he may have a future as a 3rd down or a scat back but nothing more IMO. I may be judging him as a glass half empty but your judging way to high. Are you a hardcore Texas Longhorn fan there has to be some other motive here.

EllisUnit
08-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Keep in mind who he was facing? its a preseason game with vanilla defenses and after the 1st couple of series he was running vs scrubs yet his rushing numbers did not increase. He is a JAG. 17 for 37yds he may have a future as a 3rd down or a scat back but nothing more IMO. I may be judging him as a glass half empty but your judging way to high. Are you a hardcore Texas Longhorn fan there has to be some other motive here.

i have to agree, he showed little to no vision in hitting cut back lanes. i remember last night me saying more than a few times if he had been looking up the whole left side is open for him. instead he would drive his feet with his head down straight into the backs of his linemen.

Rey
08-16-2011, 08:57 PM
BenO was just a body.

The big yards he got was because he was left wide open. He didn't make anyone miss, didn't make any cutbacks, didn't break any tackles.

He is a steady guy, but I think we will easily find rb's better than him as udfa's and late round picks.

No way I'd use a roster spot on him at this point.

EllisUnit
08-16-2011, 09:05 PM
lol, no cut backs? loooool, clearly u don't know kubiak's offense. it's a freaking ONE CUT running game. you stick to the game plan. honestly, i am starting to question most of the fans knowledge on this site. i was hoping there'd be some knowledgeable texans fans here, but all i see are :mariopalm:

the problem is he didnt cut back, we are well aware of the zone blocking scheme. He ran straight into the hole and was pushing his linemen with his head down. thats not how you run. Ward showed you on his first run how you use the system and he gained 6 yards off of it.

srrono
08-16-2011, 09:07 PM
No agenda.. I just like his play. I never said I want him to over take Arian, or Ward... But, I certainly want him over Tate and Slaton. And yes, it's preseason, but if you don't think Rex gets his defense up for EVERY practice & game... you're only kidding yourself. Ogbonnaya won't be remarkable, but he can do many things... and most importantly.. it appears he can stay on the field..... unlike a few back up rb's that i know of... cough cough... slaton... ahem.. tate.

Well I dont hate on Tate for breaking an ankle on his 2nd carry thats bad luck by reports back then he was having a good camp, now he has a hamstring pull which seems to be contagious amongst our RBs with that I am excited to see what Tate has if he doesnt perform then let the chips fall where they lie. The Texans thought high enough of him to use a 2nd pick on him so I want to see what he is all about otherwise he may be another player that leaves us and prospers somewhere else.

Rey
08-16-2011, 09:08 PM
lol, no cut backs? loooool, clearly u don't know kubiak's offense. it's a freaking ONE CUT running game. you stick to the game plan. honestly, i am starting to question most of the fans knowledge on this site. i was hoping there'd be some knowledgeable texans fans here, but all i see are :mariopalm:

I don't question any ones knowledge because I know what I know and I know when someone has no idea what they are talking about and only parrot what they hear.

Your post is a prime example.

Cutbacks are a major part of the zbs. But I like how you pretty much ignored the rest if the post and picked something that you thought you knew about to harp on.

You can crush on benO all you want but I'll call it like I see it. Dude was nothing special with the ball in his hands. Seemed to block well and he seemed to have a good grasp of the playbook. But that's about all he had going for him.

srrono
08-16-2011, 09:11 PM
BenO was just a body.

The big yards he got was because he was left wide open. He didn't make anyone miss, didn't make any cutbacks, didn't break any tackles.

He is a steady guy, but I think we will easily find rb's better than him as udfa's and late round picks.

No way I'd use a roster spot on him at this point.

thank you I was starting to think i was going insane lol

EllisUnit
08-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Um if my memory serves me correctly... Tate was injured for much of his first training camp. In fact, I remember Kubes calling him out... Sooo, Tate is 2 for 2!!!

you are correct, but O dont deserve to take slatons spot just cause he was the last RB we had and he had like 2 yards per carry.

EllisUnit
08-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Ok Ok, you keep bringing up his yards per carry... What about his receiving stats? I think he went 5 or 6 catches for 60-70 yards, with a TD. He's not going to face a run stopping unit like the Jets every week..

the jets 3rd and 4th string. And he dont have all them receiving yards cause he is so GOOD. Our roll out passes always opens up for the HB, its not like he was breaking tackles and making people miss. Thats why our RBs usually lead the league in HB receiving yards every year since we got kubiak.

Rey
08-16-2011, 09:19 PM
Ok Ok, you keep bringing up his yards per carry... What about his receiving stats? I think he went 5 or 6 catches for 60-70 yards, with a TD. He's not going to face a run stopping unit like the Jets every week..

You must know the guy because your judgement is clouded.

Dude flared out of the backfield and no one picked him up.

Johnathan wells could have done what he did last night. Actually wells may have been a bit better.

b0ng
08-16-2011, 09:21 PM

Being a good pass catcher out of the backfield is not the only thing he has to be good at. He needs to show a whole lot more than what he did last night. He reminds me of Ryan Moats.

srrono
08-16-2011, 09:23 PM

Did you watch the game or just read nfl.com stats? He was so wide open on missed coverage by back up players that Bob McNair could have scored.

b0ng
08-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Uhhhh Moats couldn't block my 6 month old english lab puppy.

That's about all he does better than Moats. Only way he's backing up Ward is if Slaton and Tate are both missing significant time due to injuries. Obie Trice didn't bring anything to the party we don't already have except a healthy body.

srrono
08-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Ok, I'll play your game. Arian Foster only averaged 3.8 yards per carry last season against the Jets. He suuuucks. WE NEED A NEW RB!!! It's this simple buddy... THE FREAKING JETS SHUT DOWN THE RUNNING GAME. IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT STRING IS PLAYING. if you don't respect that notion, then you need a reality check bruh!

Foster vs NYJ rushing 22-84 2tds receiving 6-59

EllisUnit
08-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Ok, I'll play your game. Arian Foster only averaged 3.8 yards per carry last season against the Jets. He suuuucks. WE NEED A NEW RB!!! It's this simple buddy... THE FREAKING JETS SHUT DOWN THE RUNNING GAME. IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT STRING IS PLAYING. if you don't respect that notion, then you need a reality check bruh!

haha really. Man u must love Obabababab, Foster averaged 3.8 on 22 caries with 84 yards against all first string and had 2 TDs along with 6 receptions for 59 yards with a long of 20, ur boy averaged a 2.2 yard per carry average against the 1st, 2nd and 3rd string. he caught some wide open passes, good for him. The guy is not special at all.

Oh and foster had 604 receiving yards last season on 66 receptions. Its not hard to be a RB and catch passes un contested.

srrono
08-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Um, Ok, it's called we faked the sh!t out of the Jets on those plays... yes he was open, but he still made the play. being wide open is ogbonnaya's fault?

What your not understanding is Ogbonnaya big play was a result of bad play more than good play on Ogbonnayas part.

b0ng
08-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Um do you remember Moats in the Goal Line offense... FAIL.

Pretty much like Obie Trice last night. Sorry but your boy just ain't that good.

srrono
08-16-2011, 09:37 PM
SAYS WHO!! I think he played well given the quality of blocking that he was receiving.. and the fact that our QB's couldnt hit the broad side of a barn, and the jets knew it... so they stacked the sh!t out of the box.

Are you Ogbonnaya? If you are now I get it.

EllisUnit
08-16-2011, 09:38 PM
SAYS WHO!! I think he played well given the quality of blocking that he was receiving.. and the fact that our QB's couldnt hit the broad side of a barn, and the jets knew it... so they stacked the sh!t out of the box.

yates was 6/12 with 97 passing yards, 50% in the NFL isnt bad, and what do you mean the blocking, dont say cause they were 3rd string guys, cause we were also playing 3rd string guys.

b0ng
08-16-2011, 09:39 PM

Being completely uncovered and receiving a whopping 5 yard pass and taking it till you get first contact isn't some sort of revelation as an RB. It means the Jets decided not to cover him.

prostock101
08-16-2011, 09:41 PM
steve slaton had a 4.9 yard avg per carry last season, not really to shabby imo. And when i do remember seeing him he was making good cuts and hitting the right holes.

Uh, he had 93 yards last year and 23 of that on one carry. If he was really playing that well he would have been ahead of Ward and he was not.

EllisUnit
08-16-2011, 09:43 PM
It's cool man. I'm done arguing. You'll see once Slaton (and hopefully Tate) are cut, and Ogbonnaya is kept on as the 3/4th string. I do have connections to the team, but not Ogbonnaya.

slaton has had a 1200 yard season, and played good in limited time last season.

ur boy on the other hand has well last season he went

36 rushes for a whooping 70 yards for an amazing 1.9 yards per carry with a long run of 7. How could the rams not keep this talent ?!?!?!? oh and NONE were the jets

EllisUnit
08-16-2011, 09:46 PM
"Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
steve slaton had a 4.9 yard avg per carry last season, not really to shabby imo. And when i do remember seeing him he was making good cuts and hitting the right holes."

Wow EllisUnit... you seriously lost ALL credibility with that comment. LOOOOOL. May the luck of the Irish shmile on ya :goodluck:

nope i still feel plenty credible, thanks. :doot:

CloakNNNdagger
08-16-2011, 09:48 PM
How bout we pause this debate until after a couple more preseason games. Certainly, no RB cuts are going to be made any time soon.......in fact, not until August 30. Seeing how many RB injuries are popping up left and right, you never know.......decisions may literally be made for us.

EllisUnit
08-16-2011, 09:48 PM
slaton has had a 1200 yard season, and played good in limited time last season.

ur boy on the other hand has well last season he went

36 rushes for a whooping 70 yards for an amazing 1.9 yards per carry with a long run of 7. How could the rams not keep this talent ?!?!?!? oh and NONE were the jets

:barman:

EllisUnit
08-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Yea most idiots do.

damn i guess i learned not to give positive rep to someone again until i see how pure ignorant they are. :bat:

Rey
08-16-2011, 09:52 PM
Uh, he had 93 yards last year and 23 of that on one carry. If he was really playing that well he would have been ahead of Ward and he was not.

23 yards isn't all that.

At least it's not something that will greatly skew your average with enough carries.

But that is besides the point. As much as I don't like slaton's running ability, I would rather him than benO.

At least slaton will occasionally find a nut and not run into the backs of his o linemen. He has speed to outrun people and he does break tackles.

But even if slaton and Tate don't get healthy, there are better rb's that we could probably get.

EllisUnit
08-16-2011, 10:00 PM
i don't want your rep, ya turkey!

haha yep i'm done with ya, come back and we can laugh at you after pre season, our u can go to the next teams message board that picks ur boy up. if he's that lucky.

CloakNNNdagger
08-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Yes, Lets keep Steve Slaton. That would be a great organizational decision. He brings a lot to the field and locker room. Yes, that is what we need. He shows great toughness too!

I'm not really a Slaton fan. But questioning his toughness? Any RB who is willing to take the risk in return to play after a cervical fusion has to be TOUGH. Maybe not so smart. But definitely TOUGH.

Kimmy
08-16-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm not really a Slaton fan. But questioning his toughness? Any RB who is willing to take the risk in return to play after a cervical fusion has to be TOUGH. Maybe not so smart. But definitely TOUGH.

I wonder if that's why he dropped the ball all the time? So they would stop chasing him?

:thinking:

:sarcasm:

EllisUnit
08-16-2011, 11:35 PM
Oh believe me Ellis, once this is all said and done, I WILL BE BACK. And I will call all of you out.

;) looking forward to it.

ObsiWan
08-16-2011, 11:41 PM
Wow... Five pages arguing over a fifth string RB. Whether he should still be 5th string could be debated but that's what he was when he got here.

Is he the second coming of Terrell Davis? Doubt it.
But the man played the whole game - during his Monday radio show, Kubiak said Ogbonnaya had nearly 50 snaps - and he ran hard from beginning to end. Maybe not as smart as he could have - but that can be coached. What I liked about him was his blitz pickup. I don't recall seeing him whiff on a block and none of the Jets' rushers pushed him into our QBs lap. Whoever he hit was stoned.

I like what I've seen from him so far. I wonder if he can return kicks...?

Texecutioner
08-16-2011, 11:42 PM
I always thought Ogbonnaya would be a perfect fit on this team as a one-cut runner, having watched him all through college, and I even thought we'd draft him late. But he definitely has some studying to do. Even though he moved the pile a couple of times, he was not choosing his lane too well. It was very Slatonesque.

What bothered me most is that he was not following Casey's excellent blocking. Casey was out there standing guys up, overpowering them, stopping them dead, and Ogbonnaya was somewhere else. It was frustrating to watch, but I'm still rooting for him to make the team.

Edit: Also keep in mind that he played almost the entire game while going against fresh defenders every quarter.

I never thought about this, but you are exactly right. He is totally the type of runner that fits well into the ZBS from how I remember him running in college. I really hope we hold onto him and that he gets some carries this season.

Wolf
08-16-2011, 11:48 PM
Lord have mercy , a thread of fail here ,arguing on the first preseason game. Ob27 probably won't be with the club if all the rb get healthy.. Maybe practice squad ... I thought he ran the ball good. A bunch of short yardage stuff , didn't fumble the ball. Now is he foster? No.

Come on Saturday

Thorn
08-17-2011, 07:37 AM
Ogbonnaya may be good, and he did do some good things, but in order to him to secure a RB spot on the team, he'll have to beat out one of either Foster, Tate and Ward. Obgonnaya doesn't have that much talent. If this guy makes the team, it'll be on special teams. Or Foster, Tate or Ward are placed on IR for the year and he gets in that way.

What I just said goes for Slaton as well. There's a good chance Slaton, who probably can't be traded for anything worth while, will simply be cut this pre-season. And that would be a shame, I miss the old Slaton and wish he could return to his running days of old.

edo783
08-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Ogbannaya is a JAG (just a guy). Average speed, average vision and some what above average strength and hands. RBs like him are desperation backs ..... when you have nothing else and are desperate then you use them.

Dutchrudder
08-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Ogbonnaya may be good, and he did do some good things, but in order to him to secure a RB spot on the team, he'll have to beat out one of either Foster, Tate and Ward. Obgonnaya doesn't have that much talent. If this guy makes the team, it'll be on special teams. Or Foster, Tate or Ward are placed on IR for the year and he gets in that way.

What I just said goes for Slaton as well. There's a good chance Slaton, who probably can't be traded for anything worth while, will simply be cut this pre-season. And that would be a shame, I miss the old Slaton and wish he could return to his running days of old.

There's no question he won't beat out Foster or Ward, both are superior runners. Tate and Slaton on the other hand have shown nothing special, nor do they seem better than what we have seen of Obi. The guy can block and pick up blitzes, that's for sure. His running isn't as good as you would like, but I think he has more potential than Slaton. If Tate goes to IR, I would much rather have Obi than Slaton. Slaton has no future, has a nagging injury and is fumble prone. He doesn't belong on any NFL team aside from being camp fodder. It sucks, I know, but it's the reality of the game. He's another prime example of why teams shouldn't invest much money in the RB position.

prostock101
08-17-2011, 05:34 PM
How bout we pause this debate until after a couple more preseason games. Certainly, no RB cuts are going to be made any time soon.......in fact, not until August 30. Seeing how many RB injuries are popping up left and right, you never know.......decisions may literally be made for us.

Excellent point. And with two OL guys down, RB may be the least of our worries......

prostock101
08-17-2011, 07:29 PM
do you know what the deal with caldwell & studdard is?

Caldwell has a high ankle sprain and looks to be out a few weeks. Studdard's may be worse and could be lost to IR depending on test results.