PDA

View Full Version : What I liked

badboy
08-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Did not see most of 1st quarter due to last minute distraction beyond my control (dang it). Nothing on starting O.

Leinert looked pretty good. Nothing spectacular but seemed "field aware" and did little to put team in jeopardy.
Yates aired a few out but not as accurate but I'm okay with that for now. He hooked up with Jean and then threw ball out of bounds on a wise move. We are Ok @ this position. Excellent pass in last 2 1/2 minutes with quick release that got ball to 1/2 yard line.

Ogbonnya looked much better than I expected. He is a bull dozer that has good hand on receiving.

Jean first time I got to watch him. He has great body control and can twist to locate ball.

Defense: the front seven constantly brought the pressure regardless of who was in.

Game ball? Wade Phillips.

By game 3, I need to see the offense clicking.

WolverineFan
08-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Still don't like the secondary. Safety play was better but Corner's were pretty bad. Constantly lining up 10 yds deep and inviting NYJ to throw the quick pass underneath, which they did. Molden lined up 4 yds deep in the endzone on 3rd & goal from the 3 and immediately got beat on a slant. Awful.

badboy
08-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Still don't like the secondary. Safety play was better but Corner's were pretty bad. Constantly lining up 10 yds deep and inviting NYJ to throw the quick pass underneath, which they did. Molden lined up 4 yds deep in the endzone on 3rd & goal from the 3 and immediately got beat on a slant. Awful.42 seconds left and Molden snookered completely out of play and Wr allows ball to bounce off his shoulder. I only posted what I liked but I agree with you on corners. Based on this game only, McCain bought himself another game but Molden did not.

WolverineFan
08-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Think they should cut McCain too. he got burned quite a few times. Roll with McMannis and Harris.

prostock101
08-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Missed tackles galore really stuck out. Is there any scenario where we keep four RB's? Especially since they seem to be made of glass this season?

08-15-2011, 10:42 PM
keo was TERRIBLE in his attempts at tackling tonight.

SAMURAITEXAN
08-15-2011, 10:52 PM

Yeah, he needs to use arms to wrap round the opponents. Hope, he does better tackling job in the next game.

TimeKiller
08-15-2011, 10:59 PM
I think Leinart will be ok, as long as he's throwing to the starters. He looked ok with the 2nd group.

Think they should cut McCain too. he got burned quite a few times. Roll with McMannis and Harris.
I thought McCain actually made some plays, might just be where I was sitting though.

Yes. Guy looks like PS material....Maybe.

CretorFrigg
08-15-2011, 11:07 PM
I love how this thread is titled "What I liked", yet people are commenting on how awful Keo is. Granted, he was pretty bad with his missed tackles.

But back on topic...I liked seeing the potential of our defense. We may have had trouble tackling and containing the run, but overall, we had guys in place (for the most part) and were getting sacks.

Secondly, JJ Watts was a beast. I can't wait to see this guy in the regular season. He reminds me of Jared Allen.

hot pickle
08-15-2011, 11:22 PM
I really like TJ yates. missed some throws but this pocket presence seems very very good for a rookie

Errant Hothy
08-15-2011, 11:30 PM
Abidi looked like a new LB tonight. Braman, Reed, Watt and Mitchell all looked good getting penetration.

VTexan
08-15-2011, 11:41 PM
Reed needs some time. He looked too amped up and his quick speed actually betrayed him (lineman end up pining him). Way too off balance but the athleticism and motor is there.

Mario looked lost and our other olb's definitely out shined him.

Rey
08-15-2011, 11:43 PM

I never got the hype about keo. I mean, he seems like a passionate guy, but I haven't seen much of his on the field work that impressed me. In fact, out if the clips ive seen of him he has been bad.

A year on the practice squad may give him time to adjust. But demps is better than he is and Dom barber may be too.

Kimmy
08-15-2011, 11:55 PM
I liked that KJ didn't fall down! When he made that 1st block, I laughed and told our friends, it's a sportscenter breaking news story right now; Kareem Jackson DIDN'T FALL DOWN!!!!

brakos82
08-16-2011, 12:03 AM
I liked that KJ didn't fall down! When he made that 1st block, I laughed and told our friends, it's a sportscenter breaking news story right now; Kareem Jackson DIDN'T FALL DOWN!!!!

I think he fell down from shock in the locker room that he didn't fall down.

Nawzer
08-16-2011, 12:17 AM
Suzy Kolber actually looks like a woman now...that's what I liked.

GP
08-16-2011, 12:28 AM
Suzy Kolber actually looks like a woman now...that's what I liked.

Yeah, she didn't look like a walking Kashi granola bar. Two thumbs up from me, too.

I actually looked at her when she spoke on camera. Wade Phillips is truly working miracles everywhere he goes.

Honestly, I want you guys to take this week and try REALLY hard to learn the correct last names of our players.

There is no "S" in Kevin Walter's last name. It took us about four years to get that down, but now we have JJ Watt and the assassin's "S" is striking lethal headshots again.

"S" is tricky. Focus on his bellybutton, because that's his core. Wherever IT goes, the "S" will go. Don't follow his feet, nor his head or upper body. Focus on his core and stay squared up on him...then run THROUGH him and wrap your arms around him for a form tackle. You guys can do it. I have faith.

JJ Watt. Kevin Walter. What do they have in common? No "S" at the end of their last name. Get some flashcards.

Scooter
08-16-2011, 12:34 AM
i liked the simplicity of an overload blitz (accomplished by nothing more than a safety and 4 linemen). i liked jj "unblockable" watt - as advertised in first half and telling susie about his charity work in the second. i liked yates's touch. it's all mental for him, for a "struggling" rookie quarterback with only 2 weeks of practice, i think he has a ton of upside under our coaching staff. i liked nading ... not a starter, but more than a backup - same could be said for others like earl mitchell, sharpton, and a few others. i liked our fullbacks ... despite not being a mauler, the folks that casey hit knew they were blocked - especially in short yardage.

80tothezone
08-16-2011, 12:35 AM
I like how our D played all around, yeh the corners still need to get better but the penetration was there at the line so that is less of a big deal. Plus Jo Jo was out this game so our secondary was playing one man up ... i.e. our #2 was against their # 1 etc. Still though the D did awesome against a solid Jets team 2 weeks after learning a new Defense. I mean I know it was a pre season but 20 pts would have won what 1 game last yr... much improved on D. Remember guys we don't need to nor are we going to have the best D in the league.... we just need a D that is not the worst...

Oh and # 27 obiwanna or whatever makes me a lot less worried about our Rb situation and loosing leach

V3rm0nt3r
08-16-2011, 01:03 AM
Liked Leinart. Thought he showed his ability to manage a game without making blatant mistakes which gives me a lot more confidence in this team's ability to stay in games if Schaub isn't able to go than I had with Dan-O.

Didn't like the fact that Sanchez went 6/7. Granted we were missing Joseph on D but the fact that their opening drive stalled mainly due to miscommunication on the O-Line is a little unnerving.

Loved how pissed Rex got. Again this was more due to his own O-Line play but credit should also be given to the Texans depth on D. They made the Jets' backups look pedestrian which I didn't expect.

Also liked how some of the UDFA's looked. Jean looked great working with the second teamers on offense and looks like a promising number 4 or 5 who'll be able to stretch the field while Braman looks like he's pushing for a roster spot behind Mario. Those were the two I noticed most I know that others made plays. the announcers played a clip where Jeff Maehl stepped in front of a backer close to twice his size which was good to see.

The Pencil Neck
08-16-2011, 02:28 AM
Watt -- As advertised.
Braman -- I'd been hearing more and more about this kid and he really brought it big time.
Reed -- From the practice reports, I thought he was going to suck badly but he actually played pretty well.
Barwin -- I thought he looked pretty good out there rushing, thought he might have made some coverage mistakes, though.
Adibi -- Adibi? Yes!
Dobbin -- Maybe. I think he blew a coverage or two looking to make a play against the run.
Jamison
Nading

Our entire secondary looked improved although they still made some mistakes and got lucky on some plays. It did look like they were closer to the receivers for the most part and they were getting hands up and contesting more balls.

TJ Yates -- For a rook playing his first game, I thought he looked really good and poised.
Lestar Jean -- Some big time grabs out there.
Ogbonnaya -- Made a case for himself. Didn't think he did a great job running it but did a good job blocking and coming out of the backfield. I had a feeling like he wasn't comfortable with the whole playbook and that we were limited in what we could do.

fiasco west
08-16-2011, 03:00 AM
Pfft I thought the Corners were average at least. We actually had a few coverage sacks...imagine that!

Kareem did not get burned, this was a huge improvement IMO but no one mentions it which is a good thing.

Braman was a beast. So was Watt.

Lestar Jean looks really good.

So does the Oline, I think they are going to remind people why Foster led the league last year and that it wasn't ALL due to Vonta Leach. Kubiak has got his ZBS going full time now anyone that gets put back there produces.

Actual blitzing that works. Texans look like a NFL defense.

Oh yeah and Reed! So far these rooks have really shown up, even Yates!

ObsiWan
08-16-2011, 05:57 AM
Pfft I thought the Corners were average at least. We actually had a few coverage sacks...imagine that!

Kareem did not get burned, this was a huge improvement IMO but no one mentions it which is a good thing.

Braman was a beast. So was Watt.

Lestar Jean looks really good.

So does the Oline, I think they are going to remind people why Foster led the league last year and that it wasn't ALL due to Vonta Leach. Kubiak has got his ZBS going full time now anyone that gets put back there produces.

Actual blitzing that works. Texans look like a NFL defense.

Oh yeah and Reed! So far these rooks have really shown up, even Yates!

Yeah, if we'd actually wrap up when we tackle and stop going for head shots we'd be hell on wheels.

BetaV1
08-16-2011, 08:14 AM
Liked JJ Watt. Dude has rookie of the year written all over him.

I liked the fact that our passing defense is already showing strides without Joseph. Last year, we gave up just over 260 yards per game through the air. Last night, they only gave up 210 passing yards. That's a significant drop. More importantly, the point of attack last year was our safety play. The Texans were in the bottom 10 of passing plays of 20+ yards and dead last in plays of 40+ yards. Yesterday, we only allowed two plays of 20+ yards and zero of 40+. The Jets longest pass was 25 yards. I'll take it.

DBCooper
08-16-2011, 08:48 AM
JJ Watt! Like him alot.

Reed looks like a playmaker, someone who makes plays with the game on the line.

I think Adibi is having a Wade Phillips lovefest!

Leniert played decent most of the time.

Rey
08-16-2011, 08:50 AM
I liked a lot of things.

I don't think that the running yards aginst us will be a big problem. The Jets are a good running team. Even without Mangold, they still have a good RB and a good Oline. Also, that was our first live game action. I think that the mistakes will be corrected.

I think our starting ILB's are more of a problem than any other area on the defense. I don't think Demeco is all the way back and Sharpton didn't stand out to me. I thought Mario and Barwin looked better than what I expected. Mario didn't look stiff to me. It looked like he was holding down the edge to me which I think he did a good job of.

Barwin looked athletic in coverage. Kareem didn't look bad to me. Overall I thought that the defense looked a lot faster than in previous years. Guys were actually around the ball whenit was thrown into the flats or over the middle.

We got good pressure all night. JJ Watt and Earl mitchel are going to be hard for linemen to contain inside. I think that is going to allow us to do some different things blitz wise.

Offensively we struggled a bit, but I have a feeling that as the game would have worn on we would have played better over there. I think if it were a real game we would have won. Even without Andre and Arian.

I think our defense is now good enough to where opposing offenses can't just run away with the game.

Corrosion
08-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Watt -- As advertised.
Braman -- I'd been hearing more and more about this kid and he really brought it big time.
Reed -- From the practice reports, I thought he was going to suck badly but he actually played pretty well.
Barwin -- I thought he looked pretty good out there rushing, thought he might have made some coverage mistakes, though.
Adibi -- Adibi? Yes!
Dobbin -- Maybe. I think he blew a coverage or two looking to make a play against the run.
Jamison
Nading

Our entire secondary looked improved although they still made some mistakes and got lucky on some plays. It did look like they were closer to the receivers for the most part and they were getting hands up and contesting more balls.

TJ Yates -- For a rook playing his first game, I thought he looked really good and poised.
Lestar Jean -- Some big time grabs out there.
Ogbonnaya -- Made a case for himself. Didn't think he did a great job running it but did a good job blocking and coming out of the backfield. I had a feeling like he wasn't comfortable with the whole playbook and that we were limited in what we could do.

Agree'd on all points ....

That back shoulder throw Yates made to Jean was perfection ..... Im impressed with both of them. Its easy to see why Kubiak took a flyer on Yates. He looks like the real deal.

Adibi looked like he belonged on an NFL field .... for the first time ever.

The pass rush was nasty no matter who was on the field - Braman and Reed really stood out. Nading and Jamison kept the heat on .

Ogbonnaya wasnt a world beater rushing but he did everything else right. He seems to fit the scheme very well , good cuts and a downhill runner. Another performance like that probably spells doom for Slaton.

Casey was all he was cracked up to be when drafted .... a swiss army knife. Seemed like he was always involved in a positive play.

The O-line looked real solid in pass protection .... dont remember a QB taking a hit outside of Lienart when he held onto it a second too long. Run blocking left a bit to be desired.

No one got hurt ....

b0ng
08-16-2011, 03:16 PM
I liked how Watt played, and I loved watching different players making plays on the defense (Forced fumbles and one recovery, getting hands on balls) and I especially liked the pressure we were able to generate with just 4 guys. I also liked what Leinart did, although he did make almost all of his money on checkdowns and short passes. His longer stuff wasn't all that hot, and I liked the way Yates looked as a total rookie, the QB depth looks good this year. I did like how our Oline played, even though they suffered some hits in the depth department. I liked what our reserves gave us in terms of defense, it seems like all of those guys are buying in. The safety play was much much better and more in position.

Really liked what I saw from JJ Watt.

Imatexanfan
08-16-2011, 03:21 PM
Leinart needs to work on not staring down his WRs whenever he passes, other than that he did well.

Thought it was weird watching a USC Trojan QB pass to a Longhorn OB27 for a touchdown, still gonna be a while to get used to seeing that...:bubbles: