PDA

View Full Version : The quick slant

gtexan02
08-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Is it just me or do we seem to have difficulty stopping these while never really utilizing them ourselves?

badboy
08-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Is it just me or do we seem to have difficulty stopping these while never really utilizing them ourselves?It is difficult to stop if timing is right and receiver has good hands. The LBs have to make the receiver pay when they come across field to disrupt the flow. It should be a short yardage play if defense is alert and WRs will get beat up quickly.

ATXtexanfan
08-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Is it just me or do we seem to have difficulty stopping these while never really utilizing them ourselves?

yeah peyton has been killing us on this for years and schaub never seems to put the ball in the right spot

WolverineFan
08-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Our CB's play 10 yds off every play which is just plain dumb because they get beat deep regardless. The Jets play their CB's 5-6 yds off and don't allow that short junk.

dream_team
08-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Our CB's play 10 yds off every play which is just plain dumb because they get beat deep regardless. The Jets play their CB's 5-6 yds off and don't allow that short junk.

Well the Jets have better corners to be able to do this. Plain & simple.

The best way to stop a slant is to play bump & run. But you can't play that all the time. So there will be times we're susceptible to the slant. We just need to make sure the safeties make the tackle to minimize the gain.

Ole Miss Texan
08-16-2011, 09:12 AM
I agree we don't use them enough on offense and make it too easy when we're on defense.

But the quick slant from Schaub to AJ is fairly routine and a "go to" when needing to pick up a short 1st down.

WolverineFan
08-16-2011, 09:34 AM
Well the Jets have better corners to be able to do this. Plain & simple.

The best way to stop a slant is to play bump & run. But you can't play that all the time. So there will be times we're susceptible to the slant. We just need to make sure the safeties make the tackle to minimize the gain.

The problem is they line up 10 yds deep and get beat on a quick route then the next play they're getting toasted down the sideline. It's awful. If it's going to happen like that then at least close the gap some and get in a WR's grill to mess up the timing of the offense. Hanging back like that and still getting burned is ridiculous. Hopefully Joseph is not the same.