PDA

View Full Version : "Bears may have found gold in Okoye"

IDEXAN
08-15-2011, 08:47 AM
Amobi Okoye (two sacks, two tackles for loss, two quarterback hits) is one of the four castoff No. 1 picks added by the Bears and right now the Houston Texans should be asking, “What were we thinking?” Okoye has the ability to collapse pockets, pursue and also take on double teams if the need is for a nose tackle beyond Anthony Adams and steven Paea.
http://www.csnchicago.com/08/14/11/Mullin-Bears-may-have-found-gold-in-Okoy/landing_moon_v3.html?blockID=548898&feedID=626

Señor Stan
08-15-2011, 08:49 AM
Amobi Okoye (two sacks, two tackles for loss, two quarterback hits) is one of the four castoff No. 1 picks added by the Bears and right now the Houston Texans should be asking, “What were we thinking?” Okoye has the ability to collapse pockets, pursue and also take on double teams if the need is for a nose tackle beyond Anthony Adams and steven Paea.
http://www.csnchicago.com/08/14/11/Mullin-Bears-may-have-found-gold-in-Okoy/landing_moon_v3.html?blockID=548898&feedID=626

FTTFY

(fixed the title for you)

HJam72
08-15-2011, 08:51 AM
He also has a knack for playing 2 or 3 great games about once every 1.5 years when his motivation is questioned....like getting cut from the Texans.

He'll be invisible by game 1 of the regular season, although I don't blame the Bears for giving him a chance. Now, he'll play his butt off to take a spot from somebody else and then go back to his disappearing act.

badboy
08-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Who?

MojoMan
08-15-2011, 09:14 AM
The reason he was let go here was not because he was a bad player. He wasn't. It was because he just did not fit into a 3-4 scheme.

HJam72
08-15-2011, 09:16 AM
The reason he was let go here was not because he was a bad player. He wasn't. It was because he just did not fit into a 3-4 scheme.

....AND he was a bad player... :wadepalm:

jaayteetx
08-15-2011, 10:06 AM
fools gold

Texans34Life
08-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Okoye got all his stats against 2nd/3rd stringers, right?

Thorn
08-15-2011, 10:22 AM
He wasn't motivated to play in Houston, that much is obvious. Maybe if he finds that in Chicago, he'll be a better player. And maybe the Bears find out exactly why he was released from Houston.

Second Honeymoon
08-15-2011, 10:23 AM
why am I not surprised? now he is in a real scheme that is co-ordinating by qualified, experienced, and proven DCs. Has Okoye EVER had that in Texas? NO!!!!

That is on you, Rickiak and is due to your lack of a defensive coaching network and a paranoia over your offensive scheme's 'secrets' being disseminated amongst the defensive coaching networks of the NFL. Either that or its just that you are incompetent. Maybe both.

At least McNair and being 32nd best defense in the league forced your hand to go outside of your network of failed Denver defensive coaches and go out and get someone who is proven and at least somewhat coveted. Phillips may not bring the traits to our defense that we need (more passion, more intensity, more consistency) he will bring us a proven scheme that is not cookie cutter and disguises what they do.

I have said it before and I will say it again. Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak better thank their lucky stars that they found gold in Arian Foster. Foster's play saved those guys jobs. No doubt.

GO TEXANS!! cant wait

Hookem Horns
08-15-2011, 10:33 AM
He wasn't motivated to play in Houston, that much is obvious.

You can say that about the entire team last season. Until we get a head coach with some nads I don't see that changing much and all McNair did was bring in another "aw shucks" guy. Maybe he felt between the two they met have a set.

Tailgate
08-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Its one preseason game. Lets see this play out into the season at least before we come to any conclusions.

I dont care what scheme you put Mario Williams in, is going to have a visible impact no matter.

Section516
08-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Many players get cut, face reality, and find a new way to dedicate themselves.

If he pans out, good for him on a personal level - Was always a nice guy.

Shame on him for not doing it on the Texans, but hey.

badboy
08-15-2011, 10:40 AM
You can say that about the entire team last season. Until we get a head coach with some nads I don't see that changing much and all McNair did was bring in another "aw shucks" guy. Maybe he felt between the two they met have a set.Conjoined non-twins?

nero THE zero
08-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Given Okoye's history with us I question the credentials or any writer questioning the Texans' decision to release him.

If there is any team he could realize his potential with, it would be Chicago. I hope he does. But, that doesn't mean the Texans were wrong in releasing him. He had proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he would never be a player with us. The transition to a 3-4 only compounded that issue.

nero THE zero
08-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Many players get cut, face reality, and find a new way to dedicate themselves.

Jason Allen, for instance.

Trap_Star
08-15-2011, 10:53 AM
He started out like gold for us too...

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2011, 11:18 AM
You can say that about the entire team last season. Until we get a head coach with some nads I don't see that changing much and all McNair did was bring in another "aw shucks" guy. Maybe he felt between the two they met have a set.

Sorta extending the "2 heads and 4 hands principle"?:wadepalm::kubepalm:

HOU-TEX
08-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Good for him, hope he resurrects his career. He was mediocre here, but how much of that was from poor coaching? :shrug:

dream_team
08-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Good for him! I hope he does live up to his potential with Chicago. Having one of the best defensive coordinators in the league will help alot.

Also, like someone else said. He didnt really fit the new scheme.

thunderkyss
08-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Jason Allen, for instance.

This is getting ridiculous.

Jason Allen hasn't done squat (so far).... no more than Will Demps or Bernard Pollard. He hasn't proven to be any different than that under achiever Miami released (cut) last season.

Maybe he was the best corner back on this team in 2010. The same could have been said about Carlos Rogers or DeAngelo Hall had they been here.

As far as Amobi goes, I got two words.

Coverage Sack.

How many of those have you seen from the Texans Defense? I'm not saying that Amobi would have looked like that stud we thought we were drafting if the pass defense (LBs, Safeties, & Corners) did a half decent job, but he wouldn't have been as invisible as he appeared (he still got a lot of hurries & QB hits). Antonio & Amobi were always a split second shy of getting a sack. I know Antonio has averaged 4 a year since he's been here, but that's equivalent to a DT averaging 1 or 2 a year.

Mario is another one. We're waiting for him to develop into a game changer... he hasn't dominated the way he should, so far. He's also not had the luxury of a QB who had to pull the ball down frequently, or hesitate, or second guess himself.

But he's got more hits & sacks on the hardest man to knock down.

Coverage sack... we need more of them.

thunderkyss
08-15-2011, 12:23 PM
At least McNair and being 32nd best defense in the league forced your hand to go outside of your network of failed Denver defensive coaches and go out and get someone who is proven and at least somewhat coveted.

We weren't 32nd in defense..... we were 30th, the same place we were when Kubiak got here.

& Wade was a Denver defensive coach.

:kitten:

Wolf6151
08-15-2011, 01:00 PM
Lots of players find motivation when facing the reality of possibly losing that NFL check.

Texecutioner
08-15-2011, 01:05 PM

It's because he was a bad player.

And I don't even know why this is being discussed really. He is gone now. He is another team's problem. Who cares what happens to Okoye at this point.

MojoMan
08-15-2011, 01:08 PM

And I don't even know why this is being discussed really. He is gone now. He is another team's problem. Who cares what happens to Okoye at this point.

He was not a bad player. He just failed to live up to many people's expectations of how should have performed as the #10 overall pick in the draft a few years ago.

Overpaid? perhaps. A flat-out bad player? No, he was not.

Dutchrudder
08-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Against the Bills? One of the worst O-lines in all of the NFL? lol...

Call me when he does it in the regular season.

nero THE zero
08-15-2011, 01:34 PM
This is getting ridiculous.

Jason Allen hasn't done squat (so far).... no more than Will Demps or Bernard Pollard. He hasn't proven to be any different than that under achiever Miami released (cut) last season.

Ya, if by "squat" you mean 3 INT in 7 games.

In that case, we need a lot more players not doing squat for us. We'd be a better football team for it.

gtexan02
08-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Doesn't a sack count as a tackle for loss and a QB hit?
So why not just report it as "Okoye had 2 sacks"

GP
08-15-2011, 01:50 PM
There must have been a check made out to a Nigerian elementary school in the backfield for him to be taking the time to get back there that much.

Seriously, though: Good for him. He should have plenty more of those when he's facing teams in the reg season. Oh wait, teams don't play their 2nd teamers in reg season games. My bad.

There's only one Nigerian Nightmare. Amobi will have to settle for the nickname of The Nigerian Daydream. As a fan of The Nigerian Daydream, you spend all your time staring off into space just dreaming of all the places he'll take you.

Sigh....(shakes head violently and snaps out of daydream) Now, where were we?

infantrycak
08-15-2011, 02:00 PM
He should have plenty more of those when he's facing teams in the reg season. Oh wait, teams don't play their 2nd teamers in reg season games. My bad.

Most teams have a pretty heavy rotation for their DLmen.

gtexan02
08-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Most teams have a pretty heavy rotation for their DLmen.

I think GPs point was that Amobi was going against 2nd string OL. Most teams don't rotate their OL as frequently as their DL, especially interior players

GP
08-15-2011, 02:53 PM
I think GPs point was that Amobi was going against 2nd string OL. Most teams don't rotate their OL as frequently as their DL, especially interior players

Don't bother.

If I say the sky is blue, Icak replies to me and says "No it's not."

He is the Iceman to my Maverick.

thunderkyss
08-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Don't bother.

If I say the sky is blue, Icak replies to me and says "No it's not."

He is the Iceman to my Maverick.

You do know Iceman was the cooler of the two?

Maverick was a little girly boy.

who could fly.

& banged Kim Bassinger.....

But Iceman got his name on the plaque at Top Gun.

GP
08-15-2011, 03:01 PM

who could fly.

You got the actress wrong.

Who is my Goose on here? Which lucky guy gets to be my sidekick who dies?

thunderkyss
08-15-2011, 03:07 PM

They all look alike to me.

Doppelganger
08-15-2011, 03:08 PM

Nope. he wasn't a bad player. He was a good run stopper. He was poor as a rusher. You don't draft run stoppers that high, that's why people thought he was a bad player.

If he was drafted in the 3rd round, he would have been thought of as a solid rotational player, certainly not a bad player.

Errant Hothy
08-15-2011, 03:08 PM

But still gets the better looking chick?

Meg Ryan > Kelly McGillis

GP
08-15-2011, 03:13 PM
But still gets the better looking chick?

Meg Ryan > Kelly McGillis

So I am being led to believe that being Maverick is worse than being Iceman...and now also worse than being Goose???

LOL. Only here can it go from on-topic to off-topic at a pace of Mach 3.

Errant Hothy
08-15-2011, 03:15 PM
So I am being led to believe that being Maverick is worse than being Iceman...and now also worse than being Goose???

LOL. Only here can it go from on-topic to off-topic at a pace of Mach 3.

It goes something like this:

Viper
Jester
Iceman
Goose
Cougar
Merlin
Maverick
Slider

Texecutioner
08-15-2011, 03:16 PM

who could fly.

This was not a good "Top Gun" depiction TK.

For one, that wasn't Kim Basinger that Maverick banged in that movie. It was Kelly Mcgillis.

And Tom Cruise became a much bigger star than Kilmer did after Top Gun was out. Tom Cruise became the biggest mega star actor there was at the time after Top Gun.

Errant Hothy
08-15-2011, 03:23 PM
This was not a good "Top Gun" depiction TK.

For one, that wasn't Kim Basinger that Maverick banged in that movie. It was Kelly Mcgillis.

And Tom Cruise became a much bigger star than Kilmer did after Top Gun was out. Tom Cruise became the biggest mega star actor there was at the time after Top Gun.

For the purpose of the analogy we are seperating the character of Pete Mitchell aka Maverick from Tom Cruise.

If we didn't Tom Cruise/Maverick would be at the bottom cause Tom Cruise is a crazy, douche bag.

GP
08-15-2011, 03:26 PM

Viper
Jester
Iceman
Goose
Cougar
Merlin
Maverick
Slider

Wait a second.

What is your order there?

Viper is the instructor at Top Gun. Is he "last" in your order?

How is MERLIN near Maverick? The guy had a star and a crescent moon decal on each side of his helmet :shakeweightmotion:

Boooo!!!! BOOOOO!!!!!!

HJam72
08-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Wait a second.

How is MERLIN near Maverick? The guy had a star and a crescent moon decal on each side of his helmet :shakeweightmotion:

Boooo!!!! BOOOOO!!!!!!

No, apparently, he put Maverick almost last in the whole thing.

Why are we talking about a 25+ year old movie?

GP
08-15-2011, 03:31 PM

Because it's on AMC right now and I'm watching it.

[/Duh]

Errant Hothy
08-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Wait a second.

Boooo!!!! BOOOOO!!!!!!

Viper is tops, and to clarify Slider is last.

and

http://ih2.redbubble.net/work.3517759.1.fig,eggplant,mens,fbfbfb.top-gun-merlin-v3.jpg

GP
08-15-2011, 03:32 PM
I always wondered why ESPN and other media outlets don't come here and then go use what we talk about on their shows...

I think I figured out why.

DX-TEX
08-15-2011, 03:35 PM

If he was so damn good someone would have traded for him and the Texans wouldnt have just released him.

Then again base don past history we may have reverted back to our old selves.......Okoye 1st team All Pro this year.

GP
08-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Viper is tops, and to clarify Slider is last.

and

http://ih2.redbubble.net/work.3517759.1.fig,eggplant,mens,fbfbfb.top-gun-merlin-v3.jpg

http://rangerland.net/forum/uploads/monthly_08_2009/post-38-1249431444.gif

MojoMan
08-15-2011, 03:38 PM
If he was so damn good someone would have traded for him and the Texans wouldnt have just released him.

Then again base don past history we may have reverted back to our old selves.......Okoye 1st team All Pro this year.

Why trade for someone that you believe you can pick up on waivers soon?

Chicago did the smart thing by waiting. And now it looks like they have a player they are happy with. No one should be all that surprised by this.

DX-TEX
08-15-2011, 03:40 PM

Chicago did the smart thing by waiting. And now it looks like they have a player they are happy with. No one should be all that surprised by this.

Hence, if he was "so good" they wouldnt have waived him but get him and started taking offers. When someone is "that good" and doesnt fit your system you dont just release him.

Errant Hothy
08-15-2011, 03:41 PM
http://rangerland.net/forum/uploads/monthly_08_2009/post-38-1249431444.gif

Maverick has to go near the bottom because the only thing he can do in a dogfit is some made up for Hollywood manuever that if done in real life would result in the pilot being killed by his opponent.

MojoMan
08-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Hence, if he was "so good" they wouldnt have waived him but get him and started taking offers. When someone is "that good" and doesnt fit your system you dont just release him.

If someone does not fit your system and is not a big-time stud, then yes, you have to release him. What were the Texans going to do, just keep him on the roster, let him sit on the bench and not play? That makes no sense at all.

Okoye just does not have a place in a 3-4 defensive scheme. The Texans had to cut him loose. And the Chicago Bears were smart to wait for the Texans to do that before picking him up.

GP
08-15-2011, 04:07 PM
Maverick has to go near the bottom because the only thing he can do in a dogfit is some made up for Hollywood manuever that if done in real life would result in the pilot being killed by his opponent.

The flat spin that caused Goose to eject and die was caused by jet wash from ICE MAN's plane when ICE MAN veered off to the right because he couldn't get a kill on Viper.

No jet wash situation means Goose is singing Great Balls of Fire again with his wife and kid in that greasy spoon diner.

Maverick catches a lot of shit for things not his fault.

Watch the movie. I'm going to get 76texan to do some screen shots on it.

Errant Hothy
08-15-2011, 04:15 PM
The flat spin that caused Goose to eject and die was caused by jet wash from ICE MAN's plane when ICE MAN veered off to the right because he couldn't get a kill on Viper.

No jet wash situation means Goose is singing Great Balls of Fire again with his wife and kid in that greasy spoon diner.

Maverick catches a lot of shit for things not his fault.

Watch the movie. I'm going to get 76texan to do some screen shots on it.

Wingman's responsability to stay out of leads wash, not other way around.

I was refering to the " hit the brakes, and he'll fly right by" bullshit.

GP
08-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Wingman's responsability to stay out of leads wash, not other way around.

I was refering to the " hit the brakes, and he'll fly right by" bullshit.

Ice Man hung into the fray too long, was costing Mav and Goose the kill. Plus, the commission ruled that Maverick could not have seen the wash and was therefore cleared and reinstated to fly right away with no further delay.

The hitting the brakes thing? Yeah.

Message Board World: Where ANYTHING can be debated.

And you didn't even list Hollywood who had to eject at the end because his plane got hit.

drewmar74
08-15-2011, 04:56 PM

Viper
Jester
Iceman
Goose
Cougar
Merlin
Maverick
Slider

Where does Sundown figure in all of this?

I'm thinking he's below Maverick but above Slider. He can't be above Maverick because he let Maverick punk him out on the flight line.

Wolfman?

drs23
08-15-2011, 05:16 PM

Sunny Beaches! 25 years? C'mon can't be more than 10 or so huh? Where did time go????:foottap:

The1ApplePie
08-15-2011, 05:47 PM

And possibly the most (unintentionally?) homoerotic one ever made at that.

Still, it is much more interesting that Amobi Okoye

The Pencil Neck
08-15-2011, 05:53 PM

Depends on if you think anyone else is interested in them.

You can wait for someone to clear waivers and become a street FA but once they become a street FA, they can go wherever they want and they might not want to go to you. If it's a player you really want, then you make the trade to make sure that no one else has a chance. If it's a guy you kinda want or wouldn't mind having, then you wait and see how it shakes out.

Errant Hothy
08-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Hollywood and Wolfman rank above Macerick on the quality of the "Where'd who go!" line.

Sundown slots between Maverick and Slider.

Wolf
08-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Hell, Mavericks unibrow should have taken home an Oscar for best actor in an action film

(thanks big screen HD TV for ruining the movie for me)

Playoffs
08-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Best of luck to him.

We're moving in a different direction --- up. http://forum.ah.fm/images/smilies/wave.gif

thunderkyss
08-16-2011, 08:57 AM
For the purpose of the analogy we are seperating the character of Pete Mitchell aka Maverick from Tom Cruise.

If we didn't Tom Cruise/Maverick would be at the bottom cause Tom Cruise is a crazy, douche bag.

Don't bother, he's got reading comprehension issues.

thunderkyss
08-16-2011, 09:01 AM
And possibly the most (unintentionally?) homoerotic one ever made at that.

Still, it is much more interesting that Amobi Okoye

:backsout:

Second Honeymoon
08-16-2011, 04:14 PM
We weren't 32nd in defense..... we were 30th, the same place we were when Kubiak got here.

& Wade was a Denver defensive coach.

32nd rank pass defense. 30th overall?

Phillips has coached just about everywhere, I dont consider him a Denver guy. Nolan had success too. But they have been going bottom of the barrel on DC since Kubes arrival

Picking up Denver def. Assistants wasn't a good idea. Promoting from within a crap def. for Bush wasn't a good idea either. And it didn't take a rocket scientist to know it was a bad idea beforehand.

Team played with passion on defense. People communicating and disguising looks. Getting nice shots on the QB. Happy with change so far.

My negative was Mario. Eyeball test says it's not going to work on edge. Hopefully he/they can find a way for him to make an impact in this 3-4 scheme. If they don't, this will be Marios last year in HTown

Hervoyel
08-19-2011, 01:24 PM

Phillips has coached just about everywhere, I dont consider him a Denver guy. Nolan had success too. But they have been going bottom of the barrel on DC since Kubes arrival

Picking up Denver def. Assistants wasn't a good idea. Promoting from within a crap def. for Bush wasn't a good idea either. And it didn't take a rocket scientist to know it was a bad idea beforehand.

Team played with passion on defense. People communicating and disguising looks. Getting nice shots on the QB. Happy with change so far.

My negative was Mario. Eyeball test says it's not going to work on edge. Hopefully he/they can find a way for him to make an impact in this 3-4 scheme. If they don't, this will be Marios last year in HTown

I agree with that and hopefully he takes a big leap forward here in the next couple of weeks. If he doesn't then it's not an end of the world thing if we have to move him. We get decent value out of it and it's just the price of doing business. When Mario got here we had nothing on that side of the ball (and even less on the other side) so my knee jerk reaction to parting with Mario is "Oh Hell No!" but our defense is a lot more talented than it was then and if he doesn't fit what we're doing it's the best thing for both the team and Mario.

But everyone's hoping it doesn't come to that.

Blake
08-19-2011, 03:10 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/7082598-419/how-good-can-amobi-okoye-be-for-the-bears.html

Amobi Okoye looked like a top-10 player in the Bears’ first pre-season game on Saturday night.

The former Houston Texans first-round pick had both of the Bears sacks, and he also had several other pressures.

But remember this: Okoye was facing backups of the Buffalo Bills, a club that went 4-12 last season.

That’s not to dismiss his performance; Okoye should produce like that.

But he’s used to facing very good players, since he has 58 NFL starts under his belt.

How good can Okoye be?

It’s hard to say at this point, since he’s also stood out at Bears training camp. But, again, he’s generally not facing the starting offensive linemen.

But this is a start, and he’s fired up about being a Bear and working with defensive line coach/ defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli.

“I can’t wait until the regular season gets here,” he said. “Being a Bear felt good. Real good.”

Okoye talked about the “trial” of having the Texans tell him that they were shopping him before eventually releasing him altogether.

“It was a trial period for me, but that’s the thing about football,” he said. “Football is like no other sport. When you get knocked down, you have to get back up.

“That’s what you have to do, and that’s why I love the game.”

Okoye, 24, couldn’t be happier to work with Marinelli.

“Man, Rod is a great, great coach. There’s a lot of things I’ve already gathered from him, through the two weeks that I’ve been here,” he said. “I’m glad I have this opportunity.”

But the defense still doesn’t feel natural to him.

“I haven’t even got it down all the way. I was in a system for four years,” he said of the Texans. “I still have old habits with the old system. I would say I’m only probably halfway through, as far as the mentality you have to have to be in this system. I can’t wait until I get it all down.”

This is a damning statement about our ability to coach players if he does end up doing very well in a starting role for the bears. Like the article says, it was against backups so we will see how it goes. I guess he thinks Bill Kollar isnt that great of a dline coach.

gtexan02
08-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Depends on how you read it. I read it as he fits the Bears system better than ours, and he's trying to be positive so he makes the team

Lucky
08-19-2011, 06:24 PM
If Mario doesn't make it, this defense doesn't work. And there will be a lot of people leaving H-town.

Honoring Earl 34
08-19-2011, 07:25 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/7082598-419/how-good-can-amobi-okoye-be-for-the-bears.html

This is a damning statement about our ability to coach players if he does end up doing very well in a starting role for the bears. Like the article says, it was against backups so we will see how it goes. I guess he thinks Bill Kollar isnt that great of a dline coach.

Nah ... we had a certain ex QB that said the same things about the Carolina coaches . Coaching might enhance your game but you won't go from a 4 to a 9 . Over training will get you there that's for sure .

Hervoyel
08-19-2011, 07:28 PM
If Mario doesn't make it, this defense doesn't work. And there will be a lot of people leaving H-town.

I disagree. I can see a possible future where Mario just doesn't make the transition to a OLB and I don't think that it is necessarily evidence that the defense doesn't work. Maybe he goes back to DE, maybe we trade him for someone else. It could happen.

Lucky
08-19-2011, 09:42 PM
I disagree. I can see a possible future where Mario just doesn't make the transition to a OLB and I don't think that it is necessarily evidence that the defense doesn't work. Maybe he goes back to DE, maybe we trade him for someone else. It could happen.
Really? Who's going to get to the QB, if not Mario? He's accounted for 38% of the team's sacks over the past 4 seasons. If Williams doesn't get to the QB this season, this defense and this team fails.

Even if Mario does put up good numbers, the team could fail, anyway. I'm not suggesting that Williams is untouchable. But if he does go, it's because the next organization decides to move in another direction.

Norg
08-19-2011, 10:04 PM
I forgot how big amobi was his arms are like freaking tree trunks

BigBull17
08-20-2011, 08:24 AM

I think if Mario doesn't work out at OLB he could be a very unique 5 tech. If he played it he would be a guy who pulled double didget sacks. I kind of don't get why they moved him, but I actually trust Wade and co and five them the benefit of a doubt.

Btw, you are spot on about promoting from within on a crap defense. I believe I remember us talking about how Greg Williams and Rob Mirinelli and other much more qualified coordinators and we didn't even interview one.

IDEXAN
08-20-2011, 08:42 AM
Really? Who's going to get to the QB, if not Mario? He's accounted for 38% of the team's sacks over the past 4 seasons. If Williams doesn't get to the QB this season, this defense and this team fails.

Even if Mario does put up good numbers, the team could fail, anyway. I'm not suggesting that Williams is untouchable. But if he does go, it's because the next organization decides to move in another direction.

Mario had success as a pass-rushing 4-3 DE which doesn't necessarily translate to success as a 3-4 OLB pass-rusher. For a reference, see former GB Packer Aaron Kampman.
I think the Texans had every intention of drafting Missouri's Aldon Smith in April and making him their stud 3-4 OLB opposite Connar Barwin, except they got surprised by the 49ers who beat them to him. In such a scenario they obviously would have had Mario remain as a downlineman in the 3-4.
We've already got an assortment of potential replacements for Mario at OLB,
any of whom could possibly have real success ?

The Pencil Neck
08-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Mario had success as a pass-rushing 4-3 DE which doesn't necessarily translate to success as a 3-4 OLB pass-rusher. For a reference, see former GB Packer Aaron Kampman.
I think the Texans had every intention of drafting Missouri's Aldon Smith in April and making him their stud 3-4 OLB opposite Connar Barwin, except they got surprised by the 49ers who beat them to him. In such a scenario they obviously would have had Mario remain as a downlineman in the 3-4.
We've already got an assortment of potential replacements for Mario at OLB,
any of whom could possibly have real success ?

To paraphrase something I said in another thread:

Watt -- Cody -- Mario

Barwin -- Demeco -- Cushing -- Reed/Braman

With Antonio Smith, Earl Mitchell, Sharpton, Adibi, and Reed/Braman coming off the bench.

That's a nice little front seven right there.

Rey
08-20-2011, 12:30 PM

Watt -- Cody -- Mario

With Antonio Smith, Earl Mitchell, Sharpton, Adibi, and Reed/Braman coming off the bench.

I think that would be better than what we are doing right now and I thought that was what we were going to do when we first got wade.

But I do think Mario can play good at the olb position. Going to be interesting watching it all play out.

Honoring Earl 34
08-20-2011, 12:37 PM

Watt -- Cody -- Mario

Yep ... the main thing with that lineup is potential . The bad thing with that lineup is they haven't done it yet .

Mario ... 1st rd
Watt ... 1st rd
Demeco ... 2nd rd
Barwin ... 2nd rd
Cushing ... 1st rd
Reed ... 2nd rd

MojoMan
08-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Yep ... the main thing with that lineup is potential . The bad thing with that lineup is they haven't done it yet .

Mario ... 1st rd
Watt ... 1st rd
Demeco ... 2nd rd
Barwin ... 2nd rd
Cushing ... 1st rd
Reed ... 2nd rd

Good analysis. And in the secondary:

Jackson ... 1st round
Joseph ... 1st round
Manning ... 2nd round

In any case, that is a pretty good stack of resumes. Now it is time to see them live up to expectations.

Honoring Earl 34
08-20-2011, 01:04 PM

Jackson ... 1st round
Joseph ... 1st round
Manning ... 2nd round

In any case, that is a pretty good stack of resumes. Now it is time to see them live up to expectations.

Cody was a 2nd with the lions I believe .

CloakNNNdagger
08-20-2011, 01:25 PM

Watt -- MEAN FAT BOY IN THE MIDDLE -- Mario

With Antonio Smith, Earl Mitchell, Cody, Sharpton, Adibi, and Reed/Braman coming off the bench.

Fixed that.

Barwin I expect to bounce back strong. Demeco and Cushing I have significant reservations.

BSofA04
08-20-2011, 01:34 PM

Jackson ... 1st round
Joseph ... 1st round
Manning ... 2nd round

Allen.... 1st round
Harris... 2nd round

Of course not all high draft picks work out, but if this defense is anywhere near it's potential, watch out!

The Pencil Neck
08-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Fixed that.

Barwin I expect to bounce back strong. Demeco and Cushing I have significant reservations.

I'm not going to be surprised if we see a lot of Adibi and Sharpton. I hope they're up to it. I don't think Dobbins is.

GP
08-20-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm not going to be surprised if we see a lot of Adibi and Sharpton. I hope they're up to it. I don't think Dobbins is.

Dobbins played well vs. Jets. Especially at that 4-minute mark when the Jets have the ball and try to run out the clock.

He knew the situation and went after the gaps to stop the rushing game, which I thought was smart. He knew the Jets would rush the ball and try to run out the clock. Ball snapped on first down, there goes Dobbins shooting an open gap and stuffing the runner.

I don't know that any other of those 3rd string LBs out there would have had the focus and gut instinct to do that. To me, I value that sort of "heads up" play by Dobbins.

Can't put a high enough value on guys who know the game. Especially if Cushing and Ryans miss time out there.

The Pencil Neck
08-20-2011, 10:33 PM
Dobbins played well vs. Jets. Especially at that 4-minute mark when the Jets have the ball and try to run out the clock.

He knew the situation and went after the gaps to stop the rushing game, which I thought was smart. He knew the Jets would rush the ball and try to run out the clock. Ball snapped on first down, there goes Dobbins shooting an open gap and stuffing the runner.

I don't know that any other of those 3rd string LBs out there would have had the focus and gut instinct to do that. To me, I value that sort of "heads up" play by Dobbins.

Can't put a high enough value on guys who know the game. Especially if Cushing and Ryans miss time out there.

Dobbins is OK against the run but he has a tendency to run himself out of the play and he bites on run fakes too quickly and gets out of position in the passing game. At least, that's what I saw in the Jets game.

Rey
08-20-2011, 11:05 PM

I agree.

I think dobbins should make the team, but It's gonna be a close call.

Lots of talented players are going to get cut.

The Pencil Neck
08-21-2011, 12:05 AM
I agree.

I think dobbins should make the team, but It's gonna be a close call.

Lots of talented players are going to get cut.

If we go with 8 LBs, who do we keep and who do we cut:

1. Ryans
2. Cushing
3. Mario
4. Barwin
5. Adibi
6. Sharpton
7. Reed
8. Braman
9. Nading
10. Dobbins
11. Keglar
12. Alexander
13. Friday
14. Ozobucco (sp)

Now, Alexander, Friday, and Cheddar we can probably sneak onto the PS. But... still...

Rey
08-21-2011, 11:24 AM
If we go with 8 LBs, who do we keep and who do we cut:

1. Ryans
2. Cushing
3. Mario
4. Barwin
5. Adibi
6. Sharpton
7. Reed
8. Braman
9. Nading
10. Dobbins
11. Keglar
12. Alexander
13. Friday
14. Ozobucco (sp)

Now, Alexander, Friday, and Cheddar we can probably sneak onto the PS. But... still...

I would go with 10 lbs.

As of right now my roster would be:

2 qb's
4 rb's
2 fb's
3 te's
5 wr's
8 olinemen

6 d linemen
10 lbs
6 cb's
4 safeties

K
P
Ls

If we had someone else that could long snap that played another position that would be awesome.

And honestly, It may be a morbid curiosity, but I want to see trindon play in this next game or I want him ir'd.

If slaton can perform well in a game I'd have him as the fourth rb. If trindon can produce some great returns he'd be my punt and kick returner. If neither on of those guys did anything, Jean and mahael would make the roster and I'd carry 6 wr's.

If we could nix the long snapper I'd go with another d lineman.