PDA

View Full Version : Schaub, Johnson see more contested balls

CloakNNNdagger
08-13-2011, 09:51 PM
It appears, at least on the surface, that Wade's new D is supplying more challenging practice for the O.

August, 13, 2011
Aug 13
2:27
PM ET

By Paul Kuharsky
HOUSTON -- Not all the beneficiaries of the Texans' revamped defense are defenders.

Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson both raved to me this morning about how much the defense is helping the offense.

“There are more guys around the football,” Schaub said. “Andre and I talk about this just about every day. There are not receivers running wide open throughout the secondary. Every ball is a contested ball. There is always a defender in the area. That’s a positive sign when you get that in practice.”

Johnson’s impressed with the buy-in defensive players have made into Wade Phillips’ defense.

“Practice is as competitive as it’s probably been in a long time, you see a lot more balls broken up,” he said. “I’m just very anxious to see it (against other teams).”

While the two big outside additions -- cornerback Johnathan Joseph and safety Danieal Manning -- certainly have a big bearing on that, they haven’t outright seized leadership in the secondary.

“I told Glover Quin, ‘This is your secondary, man, look I’m a new guy,’” Manning said. “'You run it how you want to, I’m going to follow and if I see something out of whack or whatever I’m going to support you (with information and help).

'You’ve been here the longest. Run it, run it how you see fit.’ He’s like the quarterback back there, he’s calling everything. He’s going to be a great player.”

Manning seems to be one class act.

nero THE zero
08-13-2011, 09:56 PM
So pumped about Quin's move to safety.

I'm still really concerned about the pass rush though.

vupac1
08-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Great find! Thanks for sharing..

Can't wait for the season to start!!

TheMatrix31
08-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Kim Kardashian, on the other hand, always sees uncontested balls.

/stupid

Mr teX
08-13-2011, 10:16 PM
So pumped about Quin's move to safety.

I'm still really concerned about the pass rush though.

Phillips' defenses have always generated a good pass rush. & honestly with all our guys back healthy & me personally witnessing JJ Watt & Mario consistently ragdolling our o-linemen in practice a few days ago.....i think this is the year we finally get that elusive pass rush......& everyone in the secondary will look 10X better b/c of it.

Pantherstang84
08-13-2011, 10:34 PM
Phillips' defenses have always generated a good pass rush. & honestly with all our guys back healthy & me personally witnessing JJ Watt & Mario consistently ragdolling our o-linemen in practice a few days ago.....i think this is the year we finally get that elusive pass rush......& everyone in the secondary will look 10X better b/c of it.

Yep. Those two were giving Winston and Briesel fits yesterday morning. Mario made Winston look downright silly yesterday with a brilliant swim move.

SAMURAITEXAN
08-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Nice find Doc.

Your guys pumped me up about our D too much already. I will be exhausted before the regular season starts. Hope, all the guys will be heathy when season starts.

Go Texans!!!

CloakNNNdagger
08-14-2011, 08:16 AM

Unfortunately, last year against 3-4 Ds, it wasn't unusual to see that "ragdolling" of our O. Hopefully, they will have some "solution" for, and be better prepared for the big and quick 3-4 teams this year.

TexansFanatic
08-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Kim Kardashian, on the other hand, always sees uncontested balls.

/stupid

Nice. I was toying with the idea of throwing out the name Seymour Balls, but your post will suffice. ;-)

TimeKiller
08-14-2011, 11:19 AM
It appears, at least on the surface, that Wade's new D is supplying more challenging practice for the O.

Manning seems to be one class act.

I said something like this the other day, the defense getting a LOT more mention than previous years. Especially the # of INTs, seems to be ten times what it ever was.

Doppelganger
08-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Last year the Texans gave up an average of 26.7 points per game on defense and scorered 24.4 points per game on offense. If Wade can knock that down by 6 points(a td) to 20.7 points per game, the team would be a top 15 Defense.

I think Kubiak can keep the offense right around 22-23 points per game. So if we scored on average 22-23 ppg and gave up 20.7, we would be in a much better position.

gary
08-14-2011, 11:30 AM
I hope so but I am done getting my hopes up until the season starts and not the preseason either.

Lucky
08-14-2011, 11:55 AM
I think Kubiak can keep the offense right around 22-23 points per game. So if we scored on average 22-23 ppg and gave up 20.7, we would be in a much better position.
The Texans rushing attack last season was 7th in yards while only 19th in attempts (3rd in yards/attempt). If they can avoid falling behind early and abandoning the run, this offense is capable of dominating a game. The key? Coming out of the gate strong, putting points on the board, and allowing the defense to play with a lead. A 2nd half lead, with the Texans running game and improved pass defense, should equate to more wins.

Should.

valleytexfan
08-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Last year the Texans gave up an average of 26.7 points per game on defense and scorered 24.4 points per game on offense. If Wade can knock that down by 6 points(a td) to 20.7 points per game, the team would be a top 15 Defense.

Awesomeness. If this doesn't get you psyched, don't know what will. :fans:

b0ng
08-14-2011, 02:24 PM

I'd much rather see our turnover differential go from huge negative numbers to huge positive numbers.

IBleedTexans
08-14-2011, 02:59 PM
:fans::koolaid::koolaid:Last year the Texans gave up an average of 26.7 points per game on defense and scorered 24.4 points per game on offense. If Wade can knock that down by 6 points(a td) to 20.7 points per game, the team would be a top 15 Defense.

I think thats very much achieveable.If n e thing , Im actually EXPECTING it .Im so ****ing stoked !!!!!!!! Sorry bout the langauge Im just SUPER PUMPED!!!:fans::koolaid: :Im drinking the :koolaid:

The Pencil Neck
08-14-2011, 04:51 PM
I'd much rather see our turnover differential go from huge negative numbers to huge positive numbers.

A minor point, but our turnover differential last season was 0.

Allstar
08-14-2011, 06:34 PM
A minor point, but our turnover differential last season was 0.

So you're saying that for every time our offense did a good job of holding on to the ball and not turning it over, our defense did absolutely nothing to cause TOs? Sounds about right.

ObsiWan
08-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Our defense came up with 18 turnovers last season - 13 picks and 5 fumble recoveries.

The Cowboy defense - if you assume it's the same one Wade put together - came up with 30 T/O's (20 ints and 10 fumble recoveries).

And, for the record, the Cowboy turnover differential was also zero last year.

Rey
08-14-2011, 11:25 PM
So you're saying that for every time our offense did a good job of holding on to the ball and not turning it over, our defense did absolutely nothing to cause TOs? Sounds about right.

Or you can say whenever the offense turned it over defense went out and got it back.

BullNation4Life
08-15-2011, 12:31 AM

http://www.bleachernation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/saying-theres-a-chance.jpg

"So you're saying there's a chance!"