PDA

View Full Version : Honestly, what do you expect to see.....

Thorn
08-12-2011, 02:49 PM
.....this coming Monday night?

I think our running game will be OK without Foster and Tate, I don't think we'll get stuffed by any means. I think our offense will be rusty, but still perform well.

I have NO IDEA whatsoever of what to expect from our defense. And frankly, if the defense stinks up the place after putting in a new system and practicing it for only a week or so, I'm not going to be upset. If they still stink come the 3rd or 4th preseason game, I'm going to start to worry though.

So honestly, what do you expect from the Texans this coming Monday?

Marcus
08-12-2011, 02:54 PM
I want to see consistent pressure on the opposing team's QB.

Nothing really else matters to me at this point. If I see that, then I'm optimistic. If I don't....

(I don't want to hear that ****ing Joel Myers say "too much time, too much time, too much time")

b0ng
08-12-2011, 02:58 PM

I think our running game will be OK without Foster and Tate, I don't think we'll get stuffed by any means. I think our offense will be rusty, but still perform well.

I have NO IDEA whatsoever of what to expect from our defense. And frankly, if the defense stinks up the place after putting in a new system and practicing it for only a week or so, I'm not going to be upset. If they still stink come the 3rd or 4th preseason game, I'm going to start to worry though.

A new formation for the defensive players and not much else. I guess we should be able to stop their run game but you can't tell with all of the changes that have been made.

I think if our defense struggles with what the Jets put out there though, might be a bad sign. The Jets lost Braylon Edwards and Jericho Cotchery. Brad Smith as well, and more than likely they are going to be resting at least Nick Mangold from the O-line if not other players as well. You want the defense to be dominant on both sides of the line but I don't think you can expect that to happen in the first preseason game.

Do any of you guys think that we are going to see exotic stuff in the preseason? I don't know if Phillips does that or not.

Marcus
08-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Do any of you guys think that we are going to see exotic stuff in the preseason?

I don't think that's what preseason is for.

El Tejano
08-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Based on our game vs. Wade last season, I would fully expect him to be very...dare I say....vanilla on defense.

I expect our starting O to go down and score. I expect to see some quality play out of these UDFA WR on the team.

ThaJokaa
08-12-2011, 03:24 PM
As for the D
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83953

Ill wait till week 1

JWarren14
08-12-2011, 03:28 PM
No injuries first and foremost.

Expecting to see the offense perform at about 70% with the timing of everything slightly off, but Schaub, Leinart, and Yates to an extent shouldn't have too much of an issue with running the O. Paying close attention to WR, RB, FB see who makes a move in those battles.

On defense I really have no idea what to expect, just hope we make positive plays and don't get burned for 50+ yard pass plays would be good.

Just ready to be at home in Section 516.

Rey
08-12-2011, 03:50 PM
I think Mitchell, barwin, reed, watt and the entire secondary will have good games on defense.

On offense I think Leinart and that second group of receivers will have a good game. I also think that the running game will be good. I expect vickers and Casey to have a good showing as well.

I'm hoping for no injuries period.

And I may be a freak but I expect and want a W.

TheMatrix31
08-12-2011, 04:10 PM
I don't expect anything. It's preseason. Wade's not gonna show his cards, Kubiak's not gonna show his cards either.

Just hope that the lower string players go balls-out and that no one gets hurt.

The Pencil Neck
08-12-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm going in with no expectations. I will see what I see and try to make some sort of sense about it.

If we play well -- like our D did LAST preseason in the first game -- I will not be too jazzed. If we play poorly, I will not be too bummed.

I just want to see it with my own two eyes.

Nawzer
08-12-2011, 04:21 PM
No injuries of course. That's the most important thing. Excited to see what the defense looks like. I know we won't see too much, but I'm looking forward to watching JJ Watt, Mario Williams, and some of the younger guys play.

TexanSam
08-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Just some potential out of the defense. I'm guessing there will be plenty of mistakes since it's a brand new system but if we can see where Phillips wants it to go then I'll be happy.

As for the offense, just hoping to see the old OD out there for a few plays. Hopefully Leinart plays well so we can put some faith in him as our backup. I never felt confident about Orlovsky. Too inconsistent.

prostock101
08-12-2011, 05:53 PM
NO INJURIES!!!!

Other than that, some sense that the defense is on the right track and that Leinart doesn't look as awful as Orvlosky did.

TimeKiller
08-12-2011, 06:06 PM
I expect them to play very safe, simple plays with the core players for about 9 minutes. A few guys like JJ Watt, Quin and JJones probably play a half, to see if they've taken a step/deserve their spots. Lot of passing to the second string guys. High scoring game.

But as far as cards go, I wouldn't mind seeing the whole deck landing on the Jets. Send the house at Sanchez on the first play, I bet it would surprise the hell outta everyone. Piss off Rexy and let's see what comes out of his stupid mouth on Tuesday!

Wade's been a DC for how long? The "league" doesn't know his book by now?

Double Barrel
08-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Honestly, what do you expect to see.....

A rabid defense going for the QB and hungry for the ball. Maybe it's what I hope to see...

As far as what I expect to see? :thinking: hmmmm....hot cheerleaders?

I never really expect much from pre-season. Just glad to see them in action at this point.

b0ng
08-12-2011, 06:30 PM
I don't think that's what preseason is for.

Exactly.

LikeMike
08-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Im looking for a lot of things:

- how does MW look at OLB?
- how do Barwin and Ryan look after their injury?
- is Mitchell ready to be the starter?
- how do the Rookies do?
- how does our secondary look?
- will we be able to pressure the QB?

I won`t get answers to all these questions, but those are the things Im gonna look for. Im not too interested in the offense - it will be fine this season if we don`t have too many injuries. Receiver battle might get interesting, but right now Im only interested in Defense. And since we won`t see any creative blitzes or coverages, Ill just look at their personal matchups...

ObsiWan
08-12-2011, 07:32 PM

I expect to see our offense to play a couple of series unless they stink it up. Expect them to play more if they do.

I expect to see our first team defense play more (3-4 series maybe) just for learning's sake.

With no OTA classroom and conditioning time and all the nicks we have, I have no idea what else to expect.

MEGA SWATT
08-12-2011, 07:55 PM
I expect overtime, with the opponent winning the game via pick 6.:wadepalm:

Honestly, what I want is to see my team out there and no injuries.:spot:

Playoffs
08-12-2011, 08:06 PM
I expect mistakes on defense. Also pressure on their QB.

Offense, I expect to be impressed by at least one of the 3-? WRs.

Mostly looking for a teaching session, watching Wade on the sidelines.

badboy
08-12-2011, 08:31 PM
I don't want to see Mario taking a step back before rushing QB. I don't want to see any DB doing a stutter step. I don't want to see Trindon Holliday play himself further down the bench. I don't want to see Wade Phillips shake his head in disgust. I don't want to see KJ fall down. I don't want to see Bryce McCain look lost. I don't want to see Kubiak mis manage the clock. I don't want to see a backup QB looking for his helmet. I don't want to see OD go down.

Texan_Bill
08-12-2011, 08:56 PM

Suckitude!!!!

That said, suckitude with plenty of positives. :ahhaha:

BetaV1
08-13-2011, 10:17 AM
I don't expect anything on defense. These guys are going into a new scheme with but a couple of weeks preparation. Some players are being moved to totally new positions, so that'll only complicate matters. While I'm sure they'll be an immediate sense of improvement from last year's defense, I'm actually not going into this game to see the defense.

I'm going to be paying particularly close attention to the offense, because I expect to see a crisp, steady attack on the ground and in the air. Thus far, we've seen great offenses come out the gates flying, such as the Patriots did without Tom Brady. Meanwhile, other offensive juggernauts such as Brees and the Saints' starters sputter. Sure, it's just week 1 of the pre-season, but one has to wonder if the lack of proper OTA's, conditioning, and training camp preparation are having major effects on some teams after all.

While the defense will likely take a step forward, there can be no question that we're still going to rely on our offense to win us a majority of our games. Despite the irregular off-season, I feel the guys on this offense should be able to go out there and not miss a beat. That's what I'm expecting to see.

DocBar
08-13-2011, 12:51 PM
I'm looking at the D as a whole. I expect to see some mistakes and growing pains. As long as they don't keep making the same mistakes over and over, I'll be happy.
I expect Ward to have a big game since he's going against his old team.
I'm really excited about seeing the young WR's. Since all reports say that Leinart is having an excellent camp, we could see some very good production from the 2nd team passing game.
:fans::fans::fans:

KA4Texan
08-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Unfortunately I expect to see the back of my eyelids this Monday night when the Texans play, I have to wake up for work at 1:30 am on Tuesday, so...... I wont be able to watch much of the game if any until Tuesday night. :pissed: Ill be there in spirit though.

And if anyone who has to show up later in the day says anything about the game..........:bat:

drs23
08-13-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm looking at the D as a whole. I expect to see some mistakes and growing pains. As long as they don't keep making the same mistakes over and over, I'll be happy.
I expect Ward to have a big game since he's going against his old team.I'm really excited about seeing the young WR's. Since all reports say that Leinart is having an excellent camp, we could see some very good production from the 2nd team passing game.
:fans::fans::fans:

I thunk Ward played for the NY Football Giants.?

ObsiWan
08-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Unfortunately I expect to see the back of my eyelids this Monday night when the Texans play, I have to wake up for work at 1:30 am on Tuesday, so...... I wont be able to watch much of the game if any until Tuesday night. :pissed: Ill be there in spirit though.

And if anyone who has to show up later in the day says anything about the game..........:bat:
I'm guessing you're referring to your workmates.... you might want to lock yourself in a closet or something; especially if we win.

DocBar
08-13-2011, 02:20 PM
I thunk Ward played for the NY Football Giants.?I knew that....:wadepalm:
I was reading the Chomical (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7695367.html) this morning and it had Ward having played for the Jets. That got me all screwed up on my NY teams.

Texans who have played for the Jets: tight end Joel Dreessen and running back Derrick Ward.

Kaiser Toro
08-13-2011, 02:25 PM
I want to see who is protecting Leinart's back side. Would like to see him work with the OL's first group.

cuppacoffee
08-13-2011, 02:30 PM
I'm going in with no expectations. I will see what I see and try to make some sort of sense about it.

If we play well -- like our D did LAST preseason in the first game -- I will not be too jazzed. If we play poorly, I will not be too bummed.

I just want to see it with my own two eyes.

Say's it all for me.

:coffee:

Lucky
08-13-2011, 03:42 PM
I expect to see the OLBs drop into coverage more than we'll see in the real games. I don't think they want to show (Manning) too many blitzes on tape.

OTH, I expect to see the Jets blitz like crazy. That's Rex being Rex. Leinart and Yates will see a lot of whirlpool action on Tuesday.

fiasco west
08-13-2011, 05:59 PM
I just hope we don't get dominated. Other than that meh...

Also I think Leinhart will have a really good preseason, or I hope so. Kubes is good with his QBs and Leinhart who came into the league with a lot of talent has done his fair share of learning so now it is time for him to start producing.

ObsiWan
08-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Here's a hint from Kubiak following Saturday's practice (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Quotes-Saturday-practice/a64aef89-ad32-46b6-9796-afa86e01ccd7)...

(on what he is looking for Monday night from the Texans) “Just watching young players play, to be honest with you. Our starters will probably play 10 or 12 plays but we’re going to play a lot of young guys. Matt Leinart is going to play a lot of football, a lot of young defensive players. So just to see who’s going to step to the plate and see who is going to be part of this team.”

sounds like Matty HotTub will play the 2nd & 3rd qtrs. No surprise here. Just confirmation of what we figured. The good news (well for me) is that we should get a good, long look at the young DBs

TheRealJoker
08-14-2011, 09:35 AM
I want the backups on offense to get tons of reps to prove their worth to the team. But, I want the starters on defense to get more preseason reps than usual due to the shortened offseason. This way the chemistry comes quicker for a unit where there is none (defense) and we preserve health for unit where we already have chemistry (offense).

IDEXAN
08-14-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm looking forward to see how the other Matt at QB does, because arguably he's one of the most important players on the team even though he's a backup. And of course the defense and a look at some of the rookie edge rushers like Brooks Reed and UNFA sleeper rookie Bryan Braman. And of course Mario at LB should be real interesting.

b0ng
08-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Here's a hint from Kubiak following Saturday's practice (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Quotes-Saturday-practice/a64aef89-ad32-46b6-9796-afa86e01ccd7)...

sounds like Matty HotTub will play the 2nd & 3rd qtrs. No surprise here. Just confirmation of what we figured. The good news (well for me) is that we should get a good, long look at the young DBs

If I were a betting man, I'd bet Schaub has as many drives as Vick did in their preseason game.

drs23
08-14-2011, 11:11 AM
I knew that....:wadepalm:
I was reading the Chomical (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7695367.html) this morning and it had Ward having played for the Jets. That got me all screwed up on my NY teams.

Yeah, DocBar, ya gotta watch dem bastids :)

Kimmy
08-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Tailgaters! This will probably be the best part of the game :)

SheTexan
08-14-2011, 02:18 PM
I expect to see a typical preseason BORING game! Could care less if we win, just don't want anyone to get hurt. Just gonna be fun seeing our "boys" in blue!!

Trail.Blazr
08-15-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm looking forward to see how the other Matt at QB does, because arguably he's one of the most important players on the team even though he's a backup. And of course the defense and a look at some of the rookie edge rushers like Brooks Reed and UNFA sleeper rookie Bryan Braman. And of course Mario at LB should be real interesting.

It IS nice NOT reading/hearing comments regarding Schaub's durability for once. That said, I totally concur that Leinart's play will be HUGE during the pre-season. If ever there's a drop off in talent that would totally undermine the outcome of the season QB ranks up there to me. Here's hoping the issues left in Arizona have had time to dissuade his mental aspect that was surely the element that drove him from favor as a Cardinal. From what I've read on the Training Camp thread, he's practicing well. Good luck tonight Matt!!!

2slik4u
08-15-2011, 12:08 PM

I actually expect the exact opposite. I think our offense will sputter without Foster, Tate, AJ, and jacoby but I think the defense (specifically Mario and Watt to grab a couple of sacks in this new system.

I think we are going to see a whole new Texan team tonight.

Thorn
08-15-2011, 12:11 PM
I actually expect the exact opposite. I think our offense will sputter without Foster, Tate, AJ, and jacoby but I think the defense (specifically Mario and Watt to grab a couple of sacks in this new system.

I think we are going to see a whole new Texan team tonight.

In the long run, your prediction might have a better outcome than mine. By the time all our starters are back in, the offense will be cooking' again. With a decent defense, the Texans would be a whole new team.

And THAT's the last optimistic thing I say until I seem them tonight. I feel out of character. :lol:

Wolf6151
08-15-2011, 12:13 PM
I expect to see a very boring game. I hope to see no injuries. Players I'll be watching with interest are Brandon Harris, JJ Watt, Connor Barwin, Glover Quin, the battle at NT between Cody and Mitchell, and all the depth WR's fighting for the WR4 and WR5 spots.

mussop
08-15-2011, 12:43 PM
I expect to see our oline get demolished. We always seem to have trouble with good 3/4 fronts. We couldnt move the ball on them last year and we aren't going to have our best players playing.

On defense I expect to see the jets control the ball and the clock and do pretty much whatever they want. With learning a new system in such a short time and key players switching positions I don't see how anyone can expect much. not to mention wade is most likely not going to get too aggressive with blitz packages so they're big oline up against our not so big dline...we'll you see where I'm going.

Hey if we can hold our own at the line of scrimmage on offense and keep the jets wr's in front of our secondary and challenge them for the ball when it's thrown their way, we are headed in the right direction IMO.