PDA

View Full Version : Gameday Question

BorrowMe
08-12-2011, 03:10 AM
I know in the past Wade Phillips would always show a vanilla defense in the pre-season and then show his true defense in the regular season. Do you guys think Wade is going to show a very vanilla defense come Monday? Or will he go all out on blitzes?

Wolf6151
08-12-2011, 03:14 AM
Expect the defense to be very vanilla all preseason. They'll be evaluating talent and won't be concerned with the score of the game either.

BorrowMe
08-12-2011, 03:18 AM
Expect the defense to be very vanilla all preseason. They'll be evaluating talent and won't be concerned with the score of the game either.
That's what I was thinking aswell.

badboy
08-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Wade knows his defense works. He will be looking to make sure players are in the correct spots & talking to each other. Do players switch off coverage as they are supposed to and are the front 7 making solid reads. I expect to see heavy rotations.

Texan_Bill
08-12-2011, 08:54 PM
I know in the past Wade Phillips would always show a vanilla defense in the pre-season and then show his true defense in the regular season. Do you guys think Wade is going to show a very vanilla defense come Monday? Or will he go all out on blitzes?

YES, it will be vanilla... That said, it will look way different because it will be a 3-4 which we haven't seen since around, 2004 or 2005!!

The Pencil Neck
08-12-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm going to play devil's advocate here. I don't know exactly what Wade's going to do with his defense. Going vanilla is definitely an option and something that a lot of coaches do in the preseason.

BUT.

This team needs to work on all the blitzes and stunts as well as the basics. They are... HOPEFULLY... not going to be playing vanilla in the regular season and this is a perfect opportunity to throw players into the fire and make sure that they understand what they need to do when the bullets are flying.

These defenses may be called without regard for down and distance but it wouldn't surprise me to see them called.

Rey
08-12-2011, 10:44 PM
this is a perfect opportunity to throw players into the fire and make sure that they understand what they need to do when the bullets are flying.

I agree.

I think they are going to work on all the things they have been practicing these past few days.

We have not had time to insert too much exotic stuff as we have so many guys playing new positions that they have mostly been working on getting acclimated.

Maybe with a veteran group that has been in a system for a while you can go vanilla (like our offense) but with this defense we 1) probably don't have a lot of exotic stuff 2) need to work on everything they've learned so far.

CloakNNNdagger
08-12-2011, 11:01 PM
I just hope that they do not try to practice their different in-season type moves............and screw it up so badly, they end up looking like they are vanilla.:wadepalm:

The Pencil Neck
08-12-2011, 11:31 PM
I agree.

I think they are going to work on all the things they have been practicing these past few days.

We have not had time to insert too much exotic stuff as we have so many guys playing new positions that they have mostly been working on getting acclimated.

Maybe with a veteran group that has been in a system for a while you can go vanilla (like our offense) but with this defense we 1) probably don't have a lot of exotic stuff 2) need to work on everything they've learned so far.

They've been coming with corner blitzes from the slot. So we should see some of that at least.

Rey
08-12-2011, 11:42 PM
They've been coming with corner blitzes from the slot. So we should see some of that at least.

Yeah I expect to see a few of those.

Jackie Chiles
08-13-2011, 12:37 AM
During his first year at Dallas I remember he started a bit of a firestorm with the amount of blitzes he was using during the preseason. They were seriously killing guys and pulling out all the stops. Our team has had less of an offseason than those guys so I expect him to mix it up. I don't think we can waltz into the season without letting the defense work on the plays we are going to run.

Allstar
08-13-2011, 01:18 AM
I'd be surprised if we didn't show some blitzes.