PDA

View Full Version : Fan Mentality After Week 4

Lady.Gaga.3000
08-11-2011, 03:12 PM
I'm a very positive and optimistic person in life so I don't want to sound like a Debby-Downer here, but the Texans have a fair possibility of being 1-3 after the first four games.

Vs. Ind
@ MIA
@ NO
Vs. PIT

We all love the Texans, right? If the Texans do end up 1-3 are we going to be calling for Kubiak's job (typical fan response). Would 2-2 be considered a success for you?

To me, 4-0 would be the best thing ever, but I would be extremely happy with 2-2 considering the rest of the schedule is a bit easier. I understand our defense did not have ample time to learn the new schemes, but I would be very disappointed if the Texans cannot prove they can hang with the big boys in the NFL.

michaelm
08-11-2011, 03:16 PM
I'm a very positive and optimistic person in life so I don't want to sound like a Debby-Downer here, but the Texans have a fair possibility of being 1-3 after the first four games.

Vs. Ind
@ MIA
@ NO
Vs. PIT

We all love the Texans, right? If the Texans do end up 1-3 are we going to be calling for Kubiak's job (typical fan response). Would 2-2 be considered a success for you?

To me, 4-0 would be the best thing ever, but I would be extremely happy with 2-2 considering the rest of the schedule is a bit easier. I understand our defense did not have ample time to learn the new schemes, but I would be very disappointed if the Texans cannot prove they can hang with the big boys in the NFL.

I expect us to start 1-3, or 2-2 at the very best. I figure it will take that long before the defense really starts to come together, plus there are 3 high quality teams in the first 4 games who are capable of beating anybody.
My only disappointment will be if the defense is sucking after game 4, and showing no improvement. I think the team will be fine after a somewhat slow start.

The Pencil Neck
08-11-2011, 03:17 PM
There are people calling for Kubiak's job right now. If we go 1-3 or 0-4 through those first 4 games, and I'll stop coming to the board because the reaction will be just insane asking for his head.

Until we start a season better than 5-7 under Kubiak, there will be people calling for his head.

If we get to the playoffs, there are people on this board who will still want him gone because they consider him a bad headcoach... period. Some people won't be satisfied unless he wins a couple of Super Bowls.

Jackie Chiles
08-11-2011, 03:18 PM
2-2 would be fine with me because we would have a real chance after that to go on a bit of a run. I believe we could even recover from 1-3. The first four games are borderline murderer's row. Obviously better is ideal and a lot of how I feel will be determined by the manner of their victories or losses.

Double Barrel
08-11-2011, 03:20 PM
They must be 2-2 at minimum if they expect to make the playoffs.

Sure, teams have rebounded from 1-3 to make the cut, but those teams weren't the Houston Texans.

Of course, even a 4-2 record doesn't guarantee anything. Amazing how long a 16 game schedule can really be sometimes.

TheCD
08-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Not that I think it's a given, but the Colts tend to rile our players up to actually play. It's one of the two games a year you can count on Mario going into beast mode. I think we at least should be favored in that game at home, as we are to a point right now where we are always competitive against them at home. If our defense plays at the worst as bad as they did last year in that game, well...I think we saw what happened then.

I don't see any reason why we don't have a chance against the Dolphins. NO and Pit I think are tough ones.

I think 2-2 is reasonable for us to accept. Anything less would and should be a disappointment if we are "turning" the corner like they say we are. I say the Colts should be a win (Manning can't possibly be in tip-top form after missing training camp and what will likely be most if not all pre-season games) and take your pick from the other 3.

Thorn
08-11-2011, 03:30 PM
There are people calling for Kubiak's job right now. If we go 1-3 or 0-4 through those first 4 games, and I'll stop coming to the board because the reaction will be just insane asking for his head.

Until we start a season better than 5-7 under Kubiak, there will be people calling for his head.

If we get to the playoffs, there are people on this board who will still want him gone because they consider him a bad headcoach... period. Some people won't be satisfied unless he wins a couple of Super Bowls.

You've described me perfectly. LOL. But as to the thread, my mentality about the Texans rises and falls on their won-loss record, as does everyone elses. If the Texans are doing very well, there'll still be some of us who want another head coach, we just won't be very vocal about it. If the Texans crash and burn as usual, then yeah, expect the anti-Kubiak crowd to be in here with pitchforks and torches. :fingergun:

GlassHalfFull
08-11-2011, 03:30 PM
nevermind.

Dutchrudder
08-11-2011, 03:35 PM

Vs. Ind
@ MIA
@ NO
Vs. PIT

I can't tell if you are being serious or not. It's tough to read your poker face...

Allstar
08-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Honestly, it probably depends mostly on the Pitt game. If we win, ecstatic pandemonium all around. If we lose, then the season is doomed.

Seņor Stan
08-11-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm not ready to put up the white flag. The Bengals swept their division two seasons ago...yeah, THOSE Bengals. They beat the Steelers AND the Ravens twice.

srrono
08-11-2011, 04:06 PM
2-2 is what i am expecting would be great to go 3-1. Texans sre at the point where they have to beat the teams that they are favored and start to at least split the games that they are not favored in. With that said:
favored plus 9
MIA w
TEN w
TEN w
JAG w
JAG w
CLE w
CIN w
CAR w
OAK w

not favored if split say 1 under thats plus 3
IND
IND
PIT
NO
BAL
TB
ATL

total 12-4 would be great but i predict
10-6

Ole Miss Texan
08-11-2011, 04:16 PM
I expect to win the Miami game and at least one of the other three. I'd hope it's Indy and Miami. If we go 2-2 to start with, I'll be pleased. The back end of our schedule looks very manageable at this point. After the first 4 games, we've got the Raiders, Titans twice, Jaguars twice, Browns, Bengals and Panthers that are very winnable games.

badboy
08-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Steelers is the only game I would put an L beside before the game. I am more interested in how they play those four than the W-L. 3-1 is my thought.

HTown2ATX
08-11-2011, 04:37 PM

Sorry dude (?) .

I can't just call this typical fan talk as in..."Here come those dumbass fans again". But I can call it typical fan talk as in......"Yeah, he should have BEEN fired by now so here come those fans preaching that with their typical venom".

Seriously....look at his record....

Until he actually has a good start to the season for once and the team has consistent games not looking like they were totally unprepared the talk is justified IMO.

But as it relates to this season, as we have a new D and have a rough 1st 4, I will be pissed, yes, but it will be tempered somewhat............for now.

Mr. White
08-11-2011, 04:49 PM

Vs. Ind
@ MIA
@ NO
Vs. PIT

Welcome to the board. This performance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_GMgkcc2KM) on the Howard Stern show really won me over.

It's a fun exercise, but it's tough to project a record before the season starts. You never know who's going to show up until around Week 3. We might get the Dolts, the Sardines, the Aint's, and the Squealers.

And I think that we might stay the Hexans for a few weeks until Wade's defense comes together.

powda
08-11-2011, 05:04 PM
I expect us to start 1-3, or 2-2 at the very best. I figure it will take that long before the defense really starts to come together

I like how every year we bask in the glory of last years offense...we assume they will start out of the gates the same way they finished the season.

REAL TALK PEOPLE (I hate Josh Ennis)

Not only is the defense learning a new system...our offense is a precision timing offense...a timing offense that has had less practice then any other year. Both sides of the ball are going to start off slow.

Fan mentality that early in the season depends on the last game we played.

If we won we're going to the superbowl.

If we lost people on this board will argue to draft Andrew Luck.

Ryan
08-11-2011, 05:11 PM
I think we have a really good shot at being 3-1 coming out of the gate. I think we'll beat the Colts at home again and i think we'll pretty much start splitting with them every year till Peyton retires. Miami is very beatable, as we have never lost to them. I think we'll lose to the Saints as we never have matched up well with them and they're a very good home team. And the Steelers certainly aren't invincible, and i think we have a chance to go toe to toe with them and hang with them. I can see us taking that game.

My :twocents:

Ole Miss Texan
08-11-2011, 05:13 PM
I like how every year we bask in the glory of last years offense...we assume they will start out of the gates the same way they finished the season.

Not only is the defense learning a new system...our offense is a precision timing offense...a timing offense that has had less practice then any other year. Both sides of the ball are going to start off slow.

That's very true, but the same could be said for Indy. They're as much if not more a precision type of offense and Peyton is coming off of neck surgery with zero practice with his team, likely none during preseason.

TheCD
08-11-2011, 05:13 PM

I know Peyton is seen as the GOAT, but their offense with his neck surgery and having no practice should be in the same boat as us at the very least when we start the season with them. Likewise, last year we came out of the gate strong on offense since we were pumped up. Hopefully we can do that again.

EDIT: Ole Miss beat me to it!

thunderkyss
08-11-2011, 05:26 PM

Don't worry TPN, you know I'll still be here spreading sunshine & serving koolaide.

thunderkyss
08-11-2011, 05:30 PM
I expect to win the Miami game and at least one of the other three. I'd hope it's Indy and Miami. If we go 2-2 to start with, I'll be pleased. The back end of our schedule looks very manageable at this point. After the first 4 games, we've got the Raiders, Titans twice, Jaguars twice, Browns, Bengals and Panthers that are very winnable games.

We could go 2-4 through the first 6 games & still have a real possibility of ending 12-4

Won't happen, I know it. Just illustrating that the back-end of the schedule is the easiest I've seen in a long time.

The Pencil Neck
08-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Don't worry TPN, you know I'll still be here spreading sunshine & serving koolaide.

Now you're making me feel guilty.

michaelm
08-11-2011, 06:00 PM

Fan mentality that early in the season depends on the last game we played

As to the bolded, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think it's pretty much a level playing field. EVERY team has had less practice than in other years.
We'll face defenses that have had the same practice that our offense has had.
The O is the very last thing I'm concerned with on this team.
The offense is virtually intact from last year, and returning most of the key players from the year before that. The skill players are obviously important, but I'm most encouraged by the continuity of the offensive line. They set a new high mark for performance last season, and return as an improved unit, IMO.

Double Barrel
08-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Now you're making me feel guilty.

Back to reality, my friend. Five years, 37-43, one winning season, 5-7 four years running... :thinking:

I'm as optimistic as I've been in years, and there is nothing wrong with any degree of optimism at the start of a new season.

But, that doesn't mean that we must ignore the fact that Kubiak has the monkey on his back and it's his burden to prove it to this fanbase that he's more than McNair's "little favorite coach that might one day...maybe...".

The Pencil Neck
08-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Back to reality, my friend. Five years, 37-43, one winning season, 5-7 four years running... :thinking:

I'm as optimistic as I've been in years, and there is nothing wrong with any degree of optimism at the start of a new season.

But, that doesn't mean that we must ignore the fact that Kubiak has the monkey on his back and it's his burden to prove it to this fanbase that he's more than McNair's "little favorite coach that might one day...maybe...".

No, I felt guilty because when the team starts losing, I stop looking at the MB. I don't like the negativity and don't want to hear it; EVEN if I agree with it, I don't want to hear it. So I shut all this stuff off and just watch the games with my wife.

So I leave the other sunshine guys, like TKyss, here all alone without me giving them any support. That's what I feel guilty about.

Rey
08-11-2011, 06:47 PM
As to the bolded, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think it's pretty much a level playing field. EVERY team has had less practice than in other years.
We'll face defenses that have had the same practice that our offense has had.

Not only that, but by time the real games count they will have had about two months of practice and 3 glorified scrimmages.

Double Barrel
08-11-2011, 07:01 PM
No, I felt guilty because when the team starts losing, I stop looking at the MB. I don't like the negativity and don't want to hear it; EVEN if I agree with it, I don't want to hear it. So I shut all this stuff off and just watch the games with my wife.

So I leave the other sunshine guys, like TKyss, here all alone without me giving them any support. That's what I feel guilty about.

ahhh, I gotcha'. Makes sense. Unfortunately, it's been the trend.

But, and I truly feel this, I think this year is different. I think this year is when the law of averages finally works in our favor and the football gods grant us the favorable bouncing balls and referee calls, for we have paid our penance and seek playoff redemption!

:fans: can I get an amen?!

Thorn
08-11-2011, 08:09 PM
ahhh, I gotcha'. Makes sense. Unfortunately, it's been the trend.

But, and I truly feel this, I think this year is different. I think this year is when the law of averages finally works in our favor and the football gods grant us the favorable bouncing balls and referee calls, for we have paid our penance and seek playoff redemption!

:fans: can I get an amen?!

We all want this year to be different. We all want the same thing. Some of us feel a bit snake bit, but it doesn't mean we don't want the Texans to kick ass.

Playoffs
08-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Gaga is downer.

EllisUnit
08-11-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm a very positive and optimistic person in life so I don't want to sound like a Debby-Downer here, but the Texans have a fair possibility of being 1-3 after the first four .

Vs. Ind
@ MIA
@ NO
Vs. PIT

4-0 then 8-0 then 16-0 the super-bowl :)

Kimmy
08-11-2011, 09:21 PM
4-0 then 8-0 then 16-0 the super-bowl :)

I'll have what he's having :beerfunnel:

EllisUnit
08-11-2011, 09:25 PM
I'll have what he's having :beerfunnel:

:barman:

powda
08-12-2011, 11:05 AM

I guess I should phrase that differnetly.Teams that rely on being more physical and "outmuscling" oponents appear to have an advantage becuse they rely less on scheme and more on talent. granted, we all have the same practice circumstances.

b0ng
08-12-2011, 11:37 AM
I am absolutely sure that nobody on this board will wait until the first four regular season games are played to panic.

I think Tuesday will be the first day of panic.

Double Barrel
08-12-2011, 11:40 AM
We all want this year to be different. We all want the same thing. Some of us feel a bit snake bit, but it doesn't mean we don't want the Texans to kick ass.

I hear ya', man. I fight my own inner cynic and have decided to go "all in" with it this season.

I think I'm just going to ignore past trends and Kubiak's history, and just be glad football is happening and our team appears to be locked and loaded.

I have no doubt that even the most pessimistic fan wants the Texans to kick ass. I feel confident that even the most hardcore Kubiak haters want to be proven wrong.

Crow never tasted better than when it's a dish served at a playoff tailgate party!! :D

hobie
08-12-2011, 11:49 AM
I hear ya', man. I fight my own inner cynic and have decided to go "all in" with it this season.

I think I'm just going to ignore past trends and Kubiak's history, and just be glad football is happening and our team appears to be locked and loaded.

I have no doubt that even the post pessimistic fan wants the Texans to kick ass. I feel confident that even the most hardcore Kubiak haters want to be proven wrong.

Crow never tasted better than when it's a dish served at a playoff tailgate party!! :D

Man, I would love to be able to say I am serving that this season !!

Thorn
08-12-2011, 12:11 PM
I feel confident that even the most hardcore Kubiak haters want to be proven wrong.

If it happens, I'll take that shoe leather with a side of crow any day. :logo:

Double Barrel
08-12-2011, 12:23 PM
If it happens, I'll take that shoe leather with a side of crow any day. :logo:

You and me both, man!!

hobie, save a serving for me at your playoff tailgate! Fried, grilled, raw, I don't care. :fans:

hobie
08-12-2011, 02:40 PM
You and me both, man!!

hobie, save a serving for me at your playoff tailgate! Fried, grilled, raw, I don't care. :fans:

Hell, I'll even serve it to you !!

Double Barrel
08-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Hell, I'll even serve it to you !!

Just make sure you have enough koolaide to wash it down! :texflag:

MEGA SWATT
08-12-2011, 09:10 PM
We must be 2-2 or all hell will break loose.:cowboy1::hankpalm::faildetector::panic:

Norg
08-13-2011, 03:47 AM
Yeah playing the steelers at home is much different then playing them at heniz i think we can go toe 2 toe with them

the game that scares me the most like yall said is the saints game but hey u never know last time we played the saints in RS we acctually beat them so u never know wade phillips knows how to play the saints to last time phillips played the saints he beat them

ObsiWan
08-13-2011, 05:11 AM

Same here.
...well, except for the wife part. I'm single.
And I can understand the frustration that makes folks want to b!tch and vent. I really do. I even share that frustration. Especially when they're last second loses like the Jax game or the Jets game.
But I don't have to hear it.

The Pencil Neck
08-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Same here.
And I can understand the frustration that makes folks want to b!tch and vent. I really do. I even share that frustration. Especially when they're last second loses like the Jax game or the Jets game.

Yeah, it's like the negativity sets up a feedback loop that just gets worse and worse and louder and louder with each iteration. If I take part in that or try to put some brakes on it when it's spiralling out of control, I just come away from the board with a negativity that infects the whole rest of my life.

I can't have that.

After a loss, I don't feel the need to dwell on it. I feel the need to shake it off and get positive for the next game.

DX-TEX
08-13-2011, 02:11 PM
I am absolutely sure that nobody on this board will wait until the first four regular season games are played to panic.

I think Tuesday will be the first day of panic.

Sad but tru.:bravo:

repped

brakos82
08-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Since when is :hobie: serving things? :ahhaha:

thunderkyss
08-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Same here.

I get frustrated as well. Right after the game, I'm steaming mad. If it's a home game, I've got about a 2 hour ride home to cool off, relax, & think about it.

Those last second losses are especially hard, but..... I've got a different perspective than most.

"Our offense didn't play 60 minutes"/"Our defense didn't play 60 minutes"

Well, neither did the Jets, or the Jags, or the Ravens. I think that means something, that we went toe-to-toe, down to the wire with teams like the Jets & Ravens.

We need to start winning those games. & I expect them to.

Now, I wouldn't have had one problem had McNair fired Kubiak at the end of the 2010 season. But now, I'm kind of glad he didn't.

This is only his second losing season.

The Saints went 7-9 in 2007, 8-8 in 2008, but there was no doubt in Benson's mind that they were on the right track & now he has a SuperBowl trophy.

& yes, I am saying the Texans success under Kubiak is relatively equal to the success Payton has had in Nawlins (minus the SuperBowl). I think we were that bad. I honestly don't believe any coach would have done significantly better (with this team) over the last 5 seasons.