PDA

View Full Version : Lienart to start?

srrono
08-11-2011, 06:46 AM
according to 11 news Lienart to start 1st preseason game for precaution

AnthonyE
08-11-2011, 06:51 AM
Makes sense. We know what Schaub and the majority of this starting offense can do. Makes sense to let starters sit this one out, what with a larger roster and less practice time thus far for the rookies.

Now, the D, I want to see ALL of them on the field for at least a quarter.

michaelm
08-11-2011, 07:01 AM
Lienart has been getting good reviews for his play in camp so far. It will be interesting to see if he can continue to play well with bodies flying at him for real.
If he does well, another thing that will interest me is how will the Lienart bashers respond?
I don't have strong feelings about the guy one way or the other, but there's no doubt that he is a polarizing figure who is pretty much hated by many people on TT.
I have a feeling he is going to do really well, and hopefully put some of his past reputation behind him.
Isn't it time that the fan base get behind him? After all, he is a Texan.

FWIW, I'm a Longhorn fan, and basically loathe USC, so I'm naturally inclined to dislike Matt Lienart.

srrono
08-11-2011, 07:12 AM
Shop him for a draft day trade next year. If he could have a strong preseason could get something for him. He is 28 has a good amount of career left.

MojoMan
08-11-2011, 07:16 AM
Excellent. I hope he does well.

HJam72
08-11-2011, 07:35 AM
Shop him for a draft day trade next year. If he could have a strong preseason could get something for him. He is 28 has a good amount of career left.

What if Schaub goes down? Just because he's proven he's not made of glass doesn't mean he won't, and it could be right before or during playoffs. If he actually has his act together, we may need him.

srrono
08-11-2011, 07:36 AM
What if Schaub goes down? Just because he's proven he's not made of glass doesn't mean he won't, and it could be right before or during playoffs. If he actually has his act together, we may need him.

Thats why i said next year

False Start
08-11-2011, 07:40 AM
Good deal, I want to see how much hes improved with some time under Kubiak's tutoring.

Thorn
08-11-2011, 08:16 AM
I wish Lienart well, and he needs the practice, so I'm good with this. But I'm not gonna quit calling him Hot Tub Boy no matter how good/bad he is. :lol:

False Start
08-11-2011, 08:19 AM
http://www.takeyourskirtofftombrady.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/mattleinarthottub.jpg

:bravo:

srrono
08-11-2011, 08:29 AM
http://www.takeyourskirtofftombrady.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/mattleinarthottub.jpg

:bravo:

u know these young ladies parents are proud of them

El Tejano
08-11-2011, 08:33 AM
I wish Lienart well, and he needs the practice, so I'm good with this. But I'm not gonna quit calling him Hot Tub Boy no matter how good/bad he is. :lol:

LOL! And I'm not going to quit accusing him of holding out his index and middle finger together and asking his teammates to smell his fingers.

GP
08-11-2011, 08:35 AM

Gawd I was thinking the same thing.

In fact, I have two daughters--ages 11 and 7--and I look at that photo and I think, "Just a few years ago, those 'ladies' were just little girls playing with Barbies and making a lemonade stand."

Ugggh.

THAT is why I cringed when the sonogram showed our first child would be a daughter. Lord help me.

srrono
08-11-2011, 08:39 AM

In fact, I have two daughters--ages 11 and 7--and I look at that photo and I think, "Just a few years ago, those 'ladies' were just little girls playing with Barbies and making a lemonade stand."

Ugggh.

THAT is why I cringed when the sonogram showed our first child would be a daughter. Lord help me.

3 boys 1 girl here daughter is now 8 man i fear teenage years boys were tuf enough.

GP
08-11-2011, 08:39 AM
I have seen a lot of video posted of Leinart throwing at camp.

He looks pretty good. I think he is picking up the offense, and he looks more comfortable here than he did in Arizona.

Whatever we want to say about Kubiak's other coaching skills, he and his team of coaches know how to prepare and deploy a confident offense. Leinart seems to be finding his way here.

Orlovsky was such a bad acquisition, but I never dreamed that Leinart would actually be a better option than him. I figured we just had two screw-ups as backups. Leinart is surprisingly adequate all of a sudden.

We'll see how he adjusts to a real defense trying to kill him in that first preseason game. He's on the Jets radar; those Jets players that want to posterize him so it boosts their chances of making the roster.

JamesBill
08-11-2011, 08:42 AM

Girls like bikinis and hot tubs. Would you rather them be in one with a multimillionaire Heisman Trophy winner, or the night clerk at 7-11?

srrono
08-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Girls like bikinis and hot tubs. Would you rather them be in one with a multimillionaire Heisman Trophy winner, or the night clerk at 7-11?

at least with night clerk thier pic would have a billion hits on the internet

Marcus
08-11-2011, 08:45 AM
[post deleted]

Marcus
08-11-2011, 08:47 AM

:rolleyes: ... maybe they have a good reason to not be proud of their parents.

JamesBill
08-11-2011, 08:49 AM
at least with night clerk thier pic would have a billion hits on the internet

Only one is showing cleavage, and all the pic says is they go to good parties in college, lol.

dinkatoid
08-11-2011, 08:58 AM

I always figured it was a decent signing because even if he never developed as a backup QB, he could at least boost team morale with killer hot tub parties.

El Tejano
08-11-2011, 09:05 AM
Yo Matt, on the other team is a dude that's talking like he was the better USC QB and that it's evident based on what he's done in his short career in the pros!!!

I got your back Matt! Let's go shoot down some jets.

TimeKiller
08-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Good.

Schaub knows the offense.

The offense knows Schaub.

No point in playing him until the games start counting.

Corrosion
08-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Lienart has been getting good reviews for his play in camp so far. It will be interesting to see if he can continue to play well with bodies flying at him for real.
If he does well, another thing that will interest me is how will the Lienart bashers respond?
I don't have strong feelings about the guy one way or the other, but there's no doubt that he is a polarizing figure who is pretty much hated by many people on TT.
I have a feeling he is going to do really well, and hopefully put some of his past reputation behind him.
Isn't it time that the fan base get behind him? After all, he is a Texan.

FWIW, I'm a Longhorn fan, and basically loathe USC, so I'm naturally inclined to dislike Matt Lienart.

I think the bold can be said about a lot of people around here , myself included.
There is no doubt that Lienart has the tools and talent to be a starter in the NFL , its a matter of him doing the work required to be that guy. He hasnt done it in the past ..... He has to show me in the future.

Its been said that up until the past couple days Lienart has looked real good in camp ....

I wonder how the team responds to having him under center and how things change with him being a lefty.

Hookem Horns
08-11-2011, 09:12 AM
So is that pic with Matt surrounding himself with hot woman (ok one is not) in a hot tub supposed to be a knock on him?

If so I don't get that. It's not like he is doing this ..

http://drunkathlete.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/vince_young_drunk21.jpg

Hervoyel
08-11-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm for this. I think if there's anyone who can help right a QB career gone wrong it's Gary Kubiak. I loath him as a head coach and complain loudly about his performance in that role but I can't knock him as a QB coach. If you've got anything to work with in terms of abillity and brains and you want to get better Gary can help you with that. Orlovsky and Carr I think couldn't be helped. I believe Gary wanted to keep Grossman and continue to work with him because he thought he could help him. The same thing is true I believe with Leinart. If he'll just be patient and sit behind Schaub for a couple of years I think he'll come out of here a lot better at his job and ready to start for someone.

dinkatoid
08-11-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm for this. I think if there's anyone who can help right a QB career gone wrong it's Gary Kubiak. I loath him as a head coach and complain loudly about his performance in that role but I can't knock him as a QB coach. If you've got anything to work with in terms of abillity and brains and you want to get better Gary can help you with that. Orlovsky and Carr I think couldn't be helped. I believe Gary wanted to keep Grossman and continue to work with him because he thought he could help him. The same thing is true I believe with Leinart. If he'll just be patient and sit behind Schaub for a couple of years I think he'll come out of here a lot better at his job and ready to start for someone.

I am for the most part a UT fan, but I am not the bleed orange type. I much prefer the pros to the college game, and while I will watch and root for UT, I do not have an eternal hatred for USC players (except for Sanchez, but that has nothing to do with USC), and I did not want the Texans to draft Vince Young. I always thought Leinart's skills were better suited for the NFL than Young's were.

Best case for me, is that we turn Leinart around and make him look solid, then pull a Philly and trade him to some QB needy team for a first rounder, or a player we could use.

houstonspartan
08-11-2011, 09:40 AM

Ugggh.

lol. A co-worker has two daughters - 8 and 10, I think - and they a cute little girls. Unfortunately, they're blonde, have freckles and obviously going to be very tall. I told my co-worker "Your daughters are beautiful, but, dude, I feel sorry for you at the same time."

He let out a deep sigh and said, "Yeah, I hear you."

lol.

HTown2ATX
08-11-2011, 09:44 AM
I hope some of the starters at least play a little bit...I took Monday off of my 2nd job to watch the game.....that's how bad I miss football!

:fans:

michaelm
08-11-2011, 09:53 AM

This is not aimed at you in particular, srrono. Just expanding from your post.

I always thought the entire issue about this picture was beyond blown out of proportion.
So freakin what? A picture of fully clothed twenty somethings in a hot tub. Like that's not a normal occurrence or something.
I think the entire contiversy is predicated on people wanting to hate Matt Lienart, and going way too far out on a limb to find something to bash him about.
Whoopty freakin do...

HOU-TEX
08-11-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm going to go ahead and call bull-butter on this. Kubiak usually never says anything until the last minute when it comes to these games. Not sure why he'd be different now

MightyTExan
08-11-2011, 11:18 AM
I may have missed it- what's wrong with Schaub?

michaelm
08-11-2011, 11:28 AM
This is not aimed at you in particular, srrono. Just expanding from your post.

I always thought the entire issue about this picture was beyond blown out of proportion.
So freakin what? A picture of fully clothed twenty somethings in a hot tub. Like that's not a normal occurrence or something.
I think the entire contiversy is predicated on people wanting to hate Matt Lienart, and going way too far out on a limb to find something to bash him about.
Whoopty freakin do...

You know, having said the the above, I think I remember Lienart might have been drinking with under age girls at that party?
I could be wrong, but if that's the case, then of course I would have an issue with that.

steelbtexan
08-11-2011, 11:35 AM
You know they changed the drinking age from 18 to 21 yrs ago. During that time those girls would've been drinking legally. Just another sign of the government knowing what's best for us more than we knowing what's best for us.

This should be in the NSZ sorry for messing up the thread.

badboy
08-11-2011, 12:06 PM
I want a solid back up QB. However, as the season progresses, if a trade is offered...
I want to see Yates and Leinert get most of the reps. I know what Matt can do.

rush2112mn
08-11-2011, 12:15 PM
I always thought you run your starters for 1 or 2 series ...1st quarter myself.....

IDEXAN
08-11-2011, 12:17 PM
I like it, and while we're at it lets also keep Andre on the sideline all night.

Allstar
08-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Any other confirmation? I find this hard to believe.

The Pencil Neck
08-11-2011, 12:25 PM
I'm for it if it happens.

But I'm not sure that it will.

OzzO
08-11-2011, 12:32 PM
I thought first teamers time in preseason's four games was:

1st series
1st quarter
half
1st series, maybe 2

Maybe it's due to the short camp time?

The Pencil Neck
08-11-2011, 12:48 PM

1st series
1st quarter
half
1st series, maybe 2

Each coach does whatever he thinks best to get his team ready. Some guys will play their starters more especially if they're implementng a new system and want to get their starters time under fire.

Lots of coaches don't play the 1s at all in the 4th game.

With the change in traning camp and the loss of OTAs, coaches are expected to approach the preseason games differently this year.

HJam72
08-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Leinart for starting QB! :kubepalm:

Thorn
08-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Leinart for starting QB! :kubepalm:

Leinacopter and 40 foot Melting Woman attacks Houston football crowd. Details at 6PM.

Allstar
08-11-2011, 01:10 PM

1st series
1st quarter
half
1st series, maybe 2

IIRC, it's more like:

1st 2 series
1st quarter and sometimes slightly into the 2nd
half
none at all

thunderkyss
08-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Good.

See, when Iverson was going off about practice, this is the kind of thing I was thinking about.

Iverson knows how to play basketball, why does he need to practice.

The short answer is that it's not about him, it's about the team.

Think about it.

Ω

The Pencil Neck
08-11-2011, 01:39 PM
See, when Iverson was going off about practice, this is the kind of thing I was thinking about.

Think about it.

Ω

Yeah, but the team can't come together and learn to work as a unit without him there. If you let the star just go off and pull his pud while the team is practicing and getting to where they know where each other is going to be and where they like to get the pass and whatnot, when the star comes back, it's just going to ruin the chemistry. The team could well end up better without him on the court.

To be as good as they can be -- as a team -- the whole team needs to be out there practicing. It's not about improving one guys individual skills.

But that's not really the case here. Matt's been practicing with the team. Everything's fine. So why make him go out for these one or two series?

beerlover
08-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Yates should get some good PT as well :shades:

srrono
08-11-2011, 02:34 PM
whats strange is no one else anywhere is reporting this I heard it on 11 news this morning but no other source reporting it is starting to make me wonder the truth of it

Allstar
08-11-2011, 02:42 PM
whats strange is no one else anywhere is reporting this I heard it on 11 news this morning but no other source reporting it is starting to make me wonder the truth of it

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you got some bad info. Kubes was saying that we are gonna go with our usual preseason routine just yesterday. He was asked about Leinart and he said that these next two weeks are the biggest time for his season or something like that. Maybe someone just took that and ran with it.

SteveSlaton20
08-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Schaub died or something? I'd like to see him play a series or two.

thunderkyss
08-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Good.

Think about it.

Ω
Yeah, but the team can't come together and learn to work as a unit without him there. If you let the star just go off and pull his pud while the team is practicing and getting to where they know where each other is going to be and where they like to get the pass and whatnot, when the star comes back, it's just going to ruin the chemistry. The team could well end up better without him on the court.

To be as good as they can be -- as a team -- the whole team needs to be out there practicing. It's not about improving one guys individual skills.

But that's not really the case here. Matt's been practicing with the team. Everything's fine. So why make him go out for these one or two series?

As long as he gets out there at some point.. preseason game #2... #3....

This is just practice, he's the leader of the team.. he should be out there.

Rey
08-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you got some bad info. Kubes was saying that we are gonna go with our usual preseason routine just yesterday. He was asked about Leinart and he said that these next two weeks are the biggest time for his season or something like that. Maybe someone just took that and ran with it.

Yeah. I haven't heard this anywhere except here.

That would seem kind of strange for them to not play schaub with the starters.