PDA

View Full Version : John McClain drinking the koolaid

disaacks3
08-09-2011, 01:17 PM
I figure I'd ask the "general" straight-up if he thought the Texans pass defense would dramatically improve during his morning chat....

11:49 [Comment From Sador: ]
Do you think the Texans' defense is capable of moving up to middle-of-the-pack on pass defense? (From 32-16)

11:49 John McClain: I will be stunned if they're not among the top 16 against the pass and top 15 or better overall.

So, Mclame expects not just improvement, but a quantum leap forward.

...here's hoping he's right for a change.

HTown2ATX
08-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Let's hope so...

http://www.webtvwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/quantum-leap.jpg

cdollaz
08-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Everyone expects them to make a big leap, not just McLain.

Mclain bashing is so tired.

Playoffs
08-09-2011, 02:08 PM
With our players and Wade's history, I'd certainly be disappointed if we're not in the top half across the board.

Dutchrudder
08-09-2011, 02:11 PM
I don't think it's that unreasonable. Here are the 2010 stats for passing defense. The Texans were last in passing yards per game given up with 267.5. To move to 16th, they would need to give up an average of 50 yards fewer per game. JoJo and Manning ought to do that, or they don't deserve their salary.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/nfl2010passingstats.jpg

nero THE zero
08-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Everyone expects them to make a big leap, not just McLain.

Mclain bashing is so tired.

No, a pandering media is what's tired.

Double Barrel
08-09-2011, 04:06 PM
I don't think it's that unreasonable. Here are the 2010 stats for passing defense. The Texans were last in passing yards per game given up with 267.5. To move to 16th, they would need to give up an average of 50 yards fewer per game. JoJo and Manning ought to

Great points. I can't say what I really expect from our D right now. The lock-out delayed the implementation of it, so we've got to factor in a learning curve.

I do believe that they will be better than last year from game 1, but to what extent remains to be seen. I don't think this D will hit it's stride until mid-season. I could be pleasantly surprised, but with some fairly significant changes, I'm not going to be upset if it's not instant gratification.

Obviously our secondary has received major improvement upgrades. However, it's our veterans in DeMeco, Cushing, and Mario that I'm really going to be watching for signs of the future. We need at least 2 out of 3 of these guys to really be better than good, and with the history of each player and what is expected of them this season, it will certainly be fun and interesting to see this new D develop.

Even our offense can be 80% as productive as last year and our D move to around 20, we will see more wins. I don't think either of these targets is too much to expect.

Kimmy
08-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Great points. I can't say what I really expect from our D right now. The lock-out delayed the implementation of it, so we've got to factor in a learning curve.

This is what scares me. I do think we WILL be better, but I absolutely do not want to use it as an excuse. (Which I know you weren't) but there are a lot out there that will.

Doppelganger
08-09-2011, 04:17 PM
I don't think it's that unreasonable. Here are the 2010 stats for passing defense. The Texans were last in passing yards per game given up with 267.5. To move to 16th, they would need to give up an average of 50 yards fewer per game. JoJo and Manning ought to do that, or they don't deserve their salary.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/nfl2010passingstats.jpg

As long as the 50 yards are not supplanted by 50 additional yards per game of rushing, then yes, you would be correct.

Doppelganger
08-09-2011, 04:19 PM
This is what scares me. I do think we WILL be better, but I absolutely do not want to use it as an excuse. (Which I know you weren't) but there are a lot out there that will.

True, but the lockout hurt everyone. Unless you are a team like the Steelers who did not make any real changes anywhere on the team, then the lockout hurt you. if you brought in key FAs, the lockout hurt you. If you are changing a scheme or head coach, the lockout hurt you.

disaacks3
08-09-2011, 04:22 PM
I'd LOVE for our Defense to jump up 15 spots, but let's not kid ourselves that the new personnel, new scheme and abbreviated OTA/TC time won't be factors this year.

New Scheme
New LB
New NG
New DE
New CB
New FS
New SS

I agree the changes are for the good, but man, that's a LOT of change!

Kimmy
08-09-2011, 04:25 PM
True, but the lockout hurt everyone. Unless you are a team like the Steelers who did not make any real changes anywhere on the team, then the lockout hurt you. if you brought in key FAs, the lockout hurt you. If you are changing a scheme or head coach, the lockout hurt you.

I completely agree with you! But if we go out there and are even remotely as bad as we were last year, I want a head (or two) to roll. I hope Mr. McNair doesn't use the scheme/lockout as an excuse.

I was actually thinking about that very scenario this off season. Like how we could get stuck with mediocracy again for these two reasons.

I'm sure my spirit will be back soon, but right now, I'm still a little "scorned" LOL And you know what they say about hell having no fury .... ;)

badboy
08-09-2011, 04:27 PM
I'd LOVE for our Defense to jump up 15 spots, but let's not kid ourselves that the new personnel, new scheme and abbreviated OTA/TC time won't be factors this year.

New Scheme
New LB
New NG
New DE
New CB
New FS
New SS

I agree the changes are for the good, but man, that's a LOT of change!I am hoping for some of the vets a position change will be like moving from short stop to 3rd base, if you have the skills, it can be done.

TexansFanatic
08-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Let's be clear: John McClain isn't drinking the KoolAid----he's making it.

markn
08-09-2011, 04:35 PM

New Scheme
New LB
New NG
New DE
New CB
New FS
New SS

I agree the changes are for the good, but man, that's a LOT of change!

It's not just a lot of change, it's also got to be implemented in an incredibly short time-frame.

I'm excited and positive about the draft and free-agency this summer, but I'm nervous about the level of expectation. For us to make the playoffs we either have to win the division which means beating out a qb who can dissect the most accomplished of defenses (as opposed to one thrown together in six weeks), or beat out one of the perennial powerhouses from the AFC north and east. It's far from impossible, but given the truncated pre-season, I wonder how realistic some posters and commentators are being.

Sorry to spoil the fun :-)

HOU-TEX
08-09-2011, 04:36 PM
I reckon McGobbler has been drinking gravy more than anything else.

Double Barrel
08-09-2011, 05:10 PM

The only person that I am concerned with using the lock-out as an excuse for the season is the one who signs the paychecks. We all know McNair is a softie for Kubiak, and I would not doubt that it extends to Wade, as well.

I love our owner for a lot of reasons, but his patience is not one of those reasons. (Not a criticism of him, but rather a fundamental disagreement that I will never win, of course.)

thunderkyss
08-09-2011, 07:11 PM
I do believe that they will be better than last year from game 1...

I think week 1 is going to present us with fools gold.

If Manning doesn't get into his groove that is. If they don't get that running game going, or that defense..... we may have seen the last 10+ win season from the Colts for a while.

& they just paid him so much money.

Rey
08-09-2011, 08:14 PM
I think by the time pre season is over those who make the team should have a pretty good grip of what to do. mistakes will be made, but I think most will know what to do b

Theyve had the play book for a while, the had access to game film of other wade Phillips coached d's. They could talk to other players. And even if they didn't do any of that they are doing nothing but learning and earning for these next few weeks until the real games start.

Wolf
08-09-2011, 08:54 PM
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/31/kool_aid_2.gif

http://cbshouston.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/john-mcclain1.jpg?w=300

wish I knew some photoshop magic LOL

EllisUnit
08-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Sounds like a lot of people are getting drunk off that Texans koolaid :fingergun:

Wolf
08-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Sounds like a lot of people are getting drunk off that Texans koolaid :fingergun:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/9/24/128982853938573387.jpg

but it is good if mixed right :drunk:

EllisUnit
08-09-2011, 09:02 PM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/9/24/128982853938573387.jpg

but it is good if mixed right :drunk:

:lol:

DocBar
08-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Call me crazy, but I'll keep the crappy ypg and take the increase in sacks and turnovers that Phillips usually gets with his defenses. The QB rating differential is the telling stat when it comes to winning and losing. If we're getting sacks and turnovers, the rest should fall in line. Phillips won't be HC and won't have some Ahole like Jerry Jones screwing everything up.
Speaking of kool aid, I just drove from Houston to Wheeling, WVa and had time to daydream about my perfect Texans season:
We win the AFC South (who cares what the record is)
Beat Pittsburgh in the AFC title game
Beat Dallas in the Super Bowl in the Colt's house.
How sweet it would be!!!
:koolaid::koolaid::koolaid:

GP
08-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Wolf, you asked for it. Here's my photoshop job I created...just for you!

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/gpshafer_1976/koolaid_mcclain.jpg

beerlover
08-09-2011, 10:28 PM
He can keep making koolaid & I'll keep making Beer :wesmantexanfan:

DexmanC
08-09-2011, 10:35 PM
John McClain?
Drinking the Kool-Aid?

I'd bet he's using it to wash down that bucket of chicken
with his fat azz.

Dude sounds like he's about to have a myocardial infarction
every time he's on the radio.

texanhead08
08-10-2011, 12:17 AM
If he gains another pound he might explode.

TexansFanatic
08-10-2011, 12:47 AM
Wolf, you asked for it. Here's my photoshop job I created...just for you!

Freaking brilliant.

drs23
08-10-2011, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE=GP;1747652]Wolf, you asked for it. Here's my photoshop job I created...just for you!

Looks just like him GP! Great job.