PDA

View Full Version : Really strange

srrono
08-09-2011, 11:02 AM
NickScurfield Nick Scurfield
Kubiak said RB Chris Ogbannaya is "making a big push" to make the team. Has made the most of his reps with Foster, Tate out

Tate pull hamstring so what does this statement mean carry 4 5 6 rbs or trade some one we all think Slayton is gone Ogbannaya maybe pratice squad?

El Tejano
08-09-2011, 11:37 AM
I was glad to see we got this guy and didn't know when we picked him up. He is a good quality player. He can do alot of things out the backfield. He may be practice squad but I think the writing could be on the wall for Slaton.

Texans34Life
08-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Maybe he'll make special teams.

Cjeremy635
08-09-2011, 11:42 AM
I don't follow college ball, so I have no idea who this kid is. If he can contribute to us moving forward, I say let's see what he can do. He should get his shot on Monday night and hopefully he'll make the best of it.

BIG TORO
08-09-2011, 12:50 PM
On 610 they were saying this guy looked really good!

Corrosion
08-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Kubiak said RB Chris Ogbannaya is "making a big push" to make the team. Has made the most of his reps with Foster, Tate out

Tate pull hamstring so what does this statement mean carry 4 5 6 rbs or trade some one we all think Slayton is gone Ogbannaya maybe pratice squad?

Only so many roster spots ... As much as we'd like to hang on to some of these players , options are limited. Do you keep an extra OL , DL in case of an injury ? LB or DB ? Both have their questionmarks .... What about WR where the competition is fierce ?

The Texans will face some tough cuts this time around.

Texas T
08-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Only so many roster spots ... As much as we'd like to hang on to some of these players , options are limited. Do you keep an extra OL , DL in case of an injury ? LB or DB ? Both have their questionmarks .... What about WR where the competition is fierce ?

The Texans will face some tough cuts this time around.

That is the best part of your post. I LOVE the fact that we have enough talent this year that it's gonna be difficult for the front office to decide who to let go!!

CloakNNNdagger
08-09-2011, 02:00 PM
That is the best part of your post. I LOVE the fact that we have enough talent this year that it's gonna be difficult for the front office to decide who to let go!!

Now, you hope that they make the correct choices.

Tailgate
08-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Good thing we got 4 preseason games to sort all this RB mess out. Damn hammys!!!

Depth not a bad prob to have of course...

pissknocker
08-09-2011, 02:13 PM

When did Tate pull his hammy?

The Pencil Neck
08-09-2011, 02:20 PM
When did Tate pull his hammy?

I think it was Saturday. Could have been Sunday.

chicagotexan2
08-09-2011, 02:30 PM
I say trade Staton while you can, if you can. Detroit needs help and I'm sure the Pats would throw at least a late rounder. I like Staton, but I think he could use a change of scenery.

badboy
08-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Depth, don't you just love it?

Texan4Ever
08-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Maybe with Obawhatshisface on the roster and getting a few reps they might start showing some Texans games in ATX!

El Tejano
08-09-2011, 02:56 PM
I don't follow college ball, so I have no idea who this kid is. If he can contribute to us moving forward, I say let's see what he can do. He should get his shot on Monday night and hopefully he'll make the best of it.

He is a former UT runningback. Played behind Jamal Charles, was on the national championship team as a 3rd down type back. Played for St. Louis Rams his rookie year. He's a vet and he's stayed on a roster before. He was pretty good in a crowded backfield at UT.

JWarren14
08-09-2011, 02:56 PM
I'm officially on the Chris Ogbonnaya bandwagon for several reasons, first his last name, second he is from Houston, third he was a 7th round pick (should take nothing for granted).

Looking at Wikipedia and NFL.com it looks like he is good for at least 4.0 ypc in a reserve role at UT and StLouis. Played WR, FB, and RB at UT and is a smart kid 4x First Team Academic All Big XII.

Hard worker, good hands (ex-wr), smart sounds like a Kubiak guy to me outside of being a Longhorn.

Can't wait for Monday!

SteveSlaton20
08-09-2011, 04:52 PM
He coulda been really good w/ Texas if they had a decent offensive line, but now he's with Houston w/ a good run blocking team.

ATXtexanfan
08-09-2011, 04:54 PM
dont see him making the cut

Ole Miss Texan
08-09-2011, 04:55 PM
I don't follow college ball, so I have no idea who this kid is.

He is a former UT runningback. Played behind Jamal Charles, was on the national championship team as a 3rd down type back. Played for St. Louis Rams his rookie year. He's a vet and he's stayed on a roster before. He was pretty good in a crowded backfield at UT.
And he's a local kid that went to Strake Jesuit!

GP
08-09-2011, 05:04 PM
You keep Foster, Ward, Tate and Oggaboga. Cut Slaton, nobody will trade for him because they know we have a crowded and DEEP roster of RBs.

I mean, sorry it didn't work out like it did his first year here...but he's had two really invisible years since then. Not our fault. It happens. I think he hasn't shook the fact that he was The Man in 2008, slid down and got hurt in 2009, and got completely erased in 2010.

That's gotta' suck to think you went from the top to the bottom THAT quickly. And I think it causes him to have problems here to this day. Cut the guy and see if he can catch on somewhere else. He has been a good guy here, character-wise, and deserves a chance to find a new place. I'd even let him go NOW so he has a chance to land somewhere else and get in camp with a new team.

We're so accustomed to not having good STARTING-caliber RBs, nor depth, that we can't release the guy. It's bizarre to have been this dry and now we're flooded. So why hang onto him? We've got 4 guys and hell, we might can only carry THREE of those four! A 5th guy is over-over-kill.

My $0.02.....

michaelm
08-09-2011, 05:24 PM
You keep Foster, Ward, Tate and Oggaboga. Cut Slaton, nobody will trade for him because they know we have a crowded and DEEP roster of RBs.

Agree with this about 99.9 percent, but there might be a .1 percent chance a team would rather trade a 7th for him than let him hit the market and become FA.
I'm not sure of his contract situation, and that would be a factor, I'm sure.

Ryan
08-09-2011, 05:31 PM
I like what Obogundamada brings to the table.

TimeKiller
08-09-2011, 06:03 PM
If either had to make the cut, I'd say stash Ogbanaya and keep Slaton on the basis that Slaton's had a big season before, maybe he can do it again. Ogbanaya offers little more if any than what Slaton can do. I know that's a big can to open right now but I'm just saying.

OR

Just cut both of them if nobody will trade for either. If the 3 RBs are Foster, Ward, Tate it will make keeping both Casey and Vickers at FB easier and allow room for yet another TE or something. I think if Foster is willing to be a team player and let other guys get carries it'll keep him a little healthier for the regular and post seasons.

SteveSlaton20
08-09-2011, 09:10 PM
If either had to make the cut, I'd say stash Ogbanaya and keep Slaton on the basis that Slaton's had a big season before, maybe he can do it again. Ogbanaya offers little more if any than what Slaton can do. I know that's a big can to open right now but I'm just saying.

OR

Just cut both of them if nobody will trade for either. If the 3 RBs are Foster, Ward, Tate it will make keeping both Casey and Vickers at FB easier and allow room for yet another TE or something. I think if Foster is willing to be a team player and let other guys get carries it'll keep him a little healthier for the regular and post seasons.

http://thecoachnotebook.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/jim-mora.jpg?w=490&h=200&crop=1

TimeKiller
08-09-2011, 10:59 PM
Yup. I expect them to make the playoffs.

EllisUnit
08-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Yup. I expect them to make the playoffs.

i think we all should.

TimeKiller
08-10-2011, 07:31 AM
Yeah. I don't think I need Jim Mora flying around after me either. I expect this team to be good enough to make the playoffs. It's time.

dalemurphy
08-10-2011, 08:23 AM

I mean, sorry it didn't work out like it did his first year here...but he's had two really invisible years since then. Not our fault. It happens. I think he hasn't shook the fact that he was The Man in 2008, slid down and got hurt in 2009, and got completely erased in 2010.

That's gotta' suck to think you went from the top to the bottom THAT quickly. And I think it causes him to have problems here to this day. Cut the guy and see if he can catch on somewhere else. He has been a good guy here, character-wise, and deserves a chance to find a new place. I'd even let him go NOW so he has a chance to land somewhere else and get in camp with a new team.

We're so accustomed to not having good STARTING-caliber RBs, nor depth, that we can't release the guy. It's bizarre to have been this dry and now we're flooded. So why hang onto him? We've got 4 guys and hell, we might can only carry THREE of those four! A 5th guy is over-over-kill.

My $0.02.....

If Slaton looks good in the preseason, teams will trade for him. The Texans wont get premium picks for him but there will be teams willing to part with something in order to secure him on their roster. His contract won't even impact their cap and he has a history of production... Right now, I don't think he's worth anything. He'll have to show up on the field the next two weeks.

El Tejano
08-10-2011, 08:38 AM
The one thing Slaton has going for him right now is that he's healthy. I'm sorry but if Ben Tate can't stay away from the trainers, Slaton is alot more valuable to me at this time.

Ole Miss Texan
08-10-2011, 09:09 AM
If Slaton looks good in the preseason, teams will trade for him. The Texans wont get premium picks for him but there will be teams willing to part with something in order to secure him on their roster. His contract won't even impact their cap and he has a history of production... Right now, I don't think he's worth anything. He'll have to show up on the field the next two weeks.

Agreed. I hope he shines in preseason and is back to his '08 self at which point we can (i) find a trading partner that doesn't want him to hit the open market or (ii) keep him and have an extremely sick group of RBs.

Question: What are the rules pertaining to Injured Reserve? I though I read that teams would be allowed to pull players off the IR later on in the season? If true and (hypothetically speaking) Slaton does kickass in preseason and we keep him.... maybe we see Tate get put on IR. Then during the season if there's an injury or poor performance from the the RBs we can put him on the active roster. We seem to be able to stretch the "I" in IR.

El Tejano
08-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Well, I took a look at those Texan practices and #20 is not looking bad. Kubiak keeps talking about Ben Tate not practicing and Ogbannaya doing well but he's also not talking about Slaton being bad either. Really the only back we are hearing bad stuff about is Tate (injury bad not play bad).

Slaton also looks as if he lost a few pounds.

ChampionTexan
08-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Agreed. I hope he shines in preseason and is back to his '08 self at which point we can (i) find a trading partner that doesn't want him to hit the open market or (ii) keep him and have an extremely sick group of RBs.

Question: What are the rules pertaining to Injured Reserve? I though I read that teams would be allowed to pull players off the IR later on in the season? If true and (hypothetically speaking) Slaton does kickass in preseason and we keep him.... maybe we see Tate get put on IR. Then during the season if there's an injury or poor performance from the the RBs we can put him on the active roster. We seem to be able to stretch the "I" in IR.

I'm pretty sure nothing has changed about the IR - once you're on it, you're done for the year. I think most of the talk of changing the IR rules was just that - talk. Once it was determined that the regular season would remain at 16 games, I don't think there was ever a realistic chance it was going to change.

As to Slaton, if he does continue to look as good as he has, I say trade whoever has the most trade value between he and Ward. If Slaton does look like he's back, I'm comfortable with Foster, Tate, Slaton or Ward, and maybe Ogbannaya stashed on the PS in case of injury.