PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Houston Texan's Official Depth Chart

MojoMan
08-09-2011, 08:12 AM
Here is a link to the updated Houston Texan's Depth Chart going into the first preseason game of 2011:

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/depth-chart.html (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/depth-chart.html)

Observations:

It appears that Kasey Studdard is the backup at left guard ahead of Shelley Smith, even though we have not heard much about Studdard so far in training camp.

At right guard, their currently appears to be a typo on the chart. They have Darius Morris starting, ahead of Mike Brisiel (2) and Antoine Caldwell (3). Unless I am mistaken, this is exactly backwards, with Caldwell actually in the starters role.

Trindon Holliday is currently listed as the sixth string receiver behind Kevin Walter. Not a good positioning to help his chances of making the team.

On defense, Earl Mitchell is currently listed second string behind Shaun Cody. This is a bit of a surprise based on what we have been hearing coming out of camp.

Antoine Molden listed at fourth string CB behind Jonathan Joseph. Looks like Molden is one foot out the door.

Shilo Keo is listed as the fourth string free safety behind Danieal Manning. Looks like he may be headed for the practice squad.

TEXANRED
08-09-2011, 08:32 AM
Ha. Ben Tate is #4 on the depth chart behind Slaton.

That was a great 2nd round pick.

TEXANRED
08-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Here is a link to the updated Houston Texan's Depth Chart going into the first preseason game of 2011:

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/depth-chart.html (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/depth-chart.html)

Observations:

It appears that Kasey Studdard is the backup at left guard ahead of Shelley Smith, even though we have not heard much about Studdard so far in training camp.

At right guard, their currently appears to be a typo on the chart. They have Darius Morris starting, ahead of Mike Brisiel (2) and Antoine Caldwell (3). Unless I am mistaken, this is exactly backwards, with Caldwell actually in the starters role.

Trindon Holliday is currently listed as the sixth string receiver behind Kevin Walter. Not a good positioning to help his chances of making the team.

On defense, Earl Mitchell is currently listed second string behind Shaun Cody. This is a bit of a surprise based on what we have been hearing coming out of camp.

Antoine Molden listed at fourth string CB behind Jonathan Joseph. Looks like Molden is one foot out the door.

Shilo Keo is listed as the fourth string free safety behind Danieal Manning. Looks like he may be headed for the practice squad.

Did you notice that Quin is the starting LCB and the starting safety?

Jackson is so bad they would rather field 10 players than put him out there.

GuerillaBlack
08-09-2011, 08:41 AM

We don't want to showcase him yet. I think Slaton will be gone and we'll roll with Foster/Ward/Tate. If we can't survive the season with at least one of those RBs, then we have the worst luck.

MojoMan
08-09-2011, 09:04 AM

LOL. Great catch. I didn't notice that. Very funny.

Perki-Perk
08-09-2011, 09:11 AM

If I could rep you, I would. What a way to start the day off! lol

dinkatoid
08-09-2011, 09:53 AM

I think this could also be to attempt to drive up the market a bit. If we make it look like we could cut him, nobody will even think of giving us a 7th round pick for him. If we make him look good, we might get a late round pick (or that is the hope I assume)

Also, Tate is entering his 2nd preseason game ever, give him a chance to see some game action and earn his spot. From the practice I saw on Sat, he made some nice runs.

thunderkyss
08-09-2011, 10:07 AM
What's up with Darius Morris Starting @ RG.... Brisiel & Caldwell behind him.

Caldwell is third string?

That's a screwed up 3rd round pick.

nero THE zero
08-09-2011, 10:26 AM
I think a lot of this is motivational tactics right now.

Does anyone believe that Slaton will enter the season ahead of Tate on the depth chart? Or Casey ahead of Vickers? Or 5 guys ahead of Dobbins?

A lot of this will change. It should be taken with a grain of salt.

Seņor Stan
08-09-2011, 10:39 AM
I think it's a bit odd that they actually updated the depth chart.

Usually it's not done until LATE in the preseason.:thinking:

ChampionTexan
08-09-2011, 10:44 AM
I think it's a bit odd that they actually updated the depth chart.

Usually it's not done until LATE in the preseason.:thinking:

I'm guessing there's some sort of NFL policy regarding this. Virtually every team has released a depth chart in the last day or two.

toxictrix
08-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Unless I'm missing something, Kareem Jackson isn't even on the depth chart...

b0ng
08-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Unless I'm missing something, Kareem Jackson isn't even on the depth chart...

Glover Quin now man's two starter spots in the secondary.

TimeKiller
08-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Is anyone really thinking about analyzing this?

Dutchrudder
08-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Trindon Holliday is listed as the #1 KR and PR man for special teams.

b0ng
08-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Trindon Holliday is listed as the #1 KR and PR man for special teams.

Man that would be a great story if little ol 5 foot nothin Holliday made the roster and did well returning kicks this year.

08-09-2011, 02:36 PM
yeah, this depth chart is garbage.

michaelm
08-09-2011, 02:38 PM
This depth chart means exactly jack squat right now.

What you see in some cases is deference being shown to players that have tenure over new comers (Casey over Vickers for example), in some cases you have motivational rankings (Mitchell behind Cody to motivate Earl), and in other cases simple tactical positioning (Slaton ahead of Tate to position him for possible trade).

In other words, is pretty much posturing at this point in time.

The Pencil Neck
08-09-2011, 02:40 PM
This depth chart means exactly jack squat right now.

What you see in some cases is deference being shown to players that have tenure over new comers (Casey over Vickers for example), in some cases you have motivational rankings (Mitchell behind Cody to motivate Earl), and in other cases simple tactical positioning (Slaton ahead of Tate to position him for possible trade).

In other words, is pretty much posturing at this point in time.

I don't think there's anything motivational about it because I don't think the players are seeing it or looking at it.

The players know what the depth chart is based on who's getting the reps with the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd teams.

Texas T
08-09-2011, 02:52 PM
I must be getting an old chart...Mine shows Dan O as back up QB, V Leach as FB, and a 4-3 defense...Looks like last years crap to me.

Seņor Stan
08-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Hartmann is listed ahead of Maynard for Punter[/powerfuldragon]

michaelm
08-09-2011, 03:34 PM
The players know what the depth chart is based on who's getting the reps with the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd teams.

I don't necessarily agree with this. There could be many reasons for a player to get reps with the first team, even if he is a third team guy.

The Pencil Neck
08-09-2011, 04:45 PM
I don't necessarily agree with this. There could be many reasons for a player to get reps with the first team, even if he is a third team guy.

And the players know that. They don't think that 3rd team guy is getting reps with the 1s because is a 1.

My point is that there not going to some website and looking at the depth chart on it to determine where they stand our how they're doing in practice. No one is putting stuff on that depth chart to motivate anyone because no one that counts is looking at it.

michaelm
08-09-2011, 05:07 PM
And the players know that. They don't think that 3rd team guy is getting reps with the 1s because is a 1.

My point is that there not going to some website and looking at the depth chart on it to determine where they stand our how they're doing in practice. No one is putting stuff on that depth chart to motivate anyone because no one that counts is looking at it.

I don't know what the Texans do, but my personal history is that teams I've played for posted depth charts during preseason for the players to view, and at that level, part of it was motivational. Maybe the players read the online chart, maybe not. I can't say.
Also, if the team posts a depth chart for player reference, it may or not be the same as the one we see online.

The Pencil Neck
08-09-2011, 05:39 PM
I don't know what the Texans do, but my personal history is that teams I've played for posted depth charts during preseason for the players to view, and at that level, part of it was motivational. Maybe the players read the online chart, maybe not. I can't say.
Also, if the team posts a depth chart for player reference, it may or not be the same as the one we see online.

THAT'S a huge part of what I'm saying.

What we see online as the "OFFICIAL" depth chart isn't.

The players either "know" the depth chart because of the natural pecking order of players and how the coaches treat them or as you said, there's a depth chart floating around telling players which group they're on so that when their group is called up, they know to get out there.

But either way, the players aren't getting motivated by some cheap online depth chart. There's no coach's conspiracy where they're sending a message to the players via this thing.

michaelm
08-09-2011, 06:18 PM
THAT'S a huge part of what I'm saying.

What we see online as the "OFFICIAL" depth chart isn't.

The players either "know" the depth chart because of the natural pecking order of players and how the coaches treat them or as you said, there's a depth chart floating around telling players which group they're on so that when their group is called up, they know to get out there.

But either way, the players aren't getting motivated by some cheap online depth chart. There's no coach's conspiracy where they're sending a message to the players via this thing.

Yeah, in my head I wasn't really differentiating between a depth chart posted online, and one posted in the locker room (don't know if there is one in the locker room, but I think there probably is one because it's one way to promote competition).
I was just thinking of depth charts in general.
On a side note, I'd be curious to know if a team would do something like post a different depth chart in the locker room than they publish online.

The Pencil Neck
08-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Yeah, in my head I wasn't really differentiating between a depth chart posted online, and one posted in the locker room (don't know if there is one in the locker room, but I think there probably is one because it's one way to promote competition).
I was just thinking of depth charts in general.
On a side note, I'd be curious to know if a team would do something like post a different depth chart in the locker room than they publish online.

The online one may not even come from the coaches. It's probably just some intern that slapped it together.

Over the years, the depth chart that's on the main site has been notoriously unreliable.

Lucky
08-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Right, that's a typo.

I don't know, it looks fairly accurate. Brooks is backing Mario and Danding is behind Barwin.

MojoMan
09-05-2011, 09:29 PM
The updated depth chart has been posted at Houston Texans.com.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/depth-chart.html

Ben Tate has moved up to third team, and Slaton is now fourth team. If they can get Slaton some carries, maybe they can trade him for a draft pick or something.

prostock101
09-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Notice anything interesting about the special teams?

MojoMan
09-05-2011, 09:44 PM

Not really. That's about what I was expecting.

TdotTexas2Step
09-05-2011, 10:27 PM
http://www.topnews.in/files/Johnson-And-Johnson.jpg

for the first and second string WR1s

The Pencil Neck
09-05-2011, 10:35 PM

Not when I looked. What did you see?

prostock101
09-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Daniel Manning is the KR. Since he never handled a return in the preseason I thought it curious he's listed now. The concensus being that he was too valuable to expose there. Jus' sayin'.....

ChampionTexan
09-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Daniel Manning is the KR. Since he never handled a return in the preseason I thought it curious he's listed now. The concensus being that he was too valuable to expose there. Jus' sayin'.....

Kubiak has said he would be the KR since the first or second preseason game.

prostock101
09-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Kubiak has said he would be the KR since the first or second preseason game.

Oops, guess I was asleep in class when that was anounced. Still think a starter has no biz returning kicks. Slaton was awful but I'd rather see him again...

Allstar
09-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Oops, guess I was asleep in class when that was anounced. Still think a starter has no biz returning kicks. Slaton was awful but I'd rather see him again...

Honestly, how often do kick returners really get injured? The blockers and would-be tacklers seem to be the most at risk.

76Texan
09-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Slaton averaged 19.7 yd per return last year (on 39 returns.)

Manning averaged about 27 yards per return the last three (3) years for the Bears (about 32 returns per year.)

This shouldn't be much of a surprise.

Until somebody can show better consistency, I imagine you just have to use the best guy for the job.

The Pencil Neck
09-06-2011, 02:03 AM

Like other guys have said, Manning's KR ability was something that was known about him. He was pretty much given the KR job early on in TC. Some guys on here have been pretty flustered about it being a heckuva risk.

But he's good at it.

Insideop
09-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Like other guys have said, Manning's KR ability was something that was known about him. He was pretty much given the KR job early on in TC. Some guys on here have been pretty flustered about it being a heckuva risk.

But he's good at it.

Yep! I sure don't like putting our starting FS "in harms way" on KR especially when we are not that deep at the FS position! If Slaton went down on a KR it's not a big loss (4th string RB), but if we lost Manning you'd only have Troy Nolan as a FS, and we would be scrambling looking for another FS. Just food for thought.

beerlover
09-06-2011, 12:05 PM
The decision to trot Manning out on KR should be based off game situation & importance of outcome. Risks should be assessed & considered carefully, he should only be used if absolutely necessary, to secure outcome of game, advancement into post season or hopefully even in a Super Bowl win :trophy:

infantrycak
09-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Deion Sanders, not just a starter but one of the best CB's in history, a hall of famer and player who teams correctly thought might be the last key piece to get to a SB, returned punts and kicks. This seems overblown to me although I understand the concern.

ObsiWan
09-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Yep! I sure don't like putting our starting FS "in harms way" on KR especially when we are not that deep at the FS position! If Slaton went down on a KR it's not a big loss (4th string RB), but if we lost Manning you'd only have Troy Nolan as a FS, and we would be scrambling looking for another FS. Just food for thought.

The decision to trot Manning out on KR should be based off game situation & importance of outcome. Risks should be assessed & considered carefully, he should only be used if absolutely necessary, to secure outcome of game, advancement into post season or hopefully even in a Super Bowl win :trophy:

That explains why they didn't expose him during preseason. No sense in risking injury in practice games. I think they knew what KR skills Manning had when they signed him. And during P/S they tried various guys to unseat him at KR. No one could.

Now that these games count, you put the guys that give you the best shot to win on the field at every position. You can't play scared.

dream_team
09-06-2011, 12:36 PM

I bet we don't see much returns anyways. Kickers will just kick everything into the end zone and accept the touchback. There were a lot of returns in preseason because guys were trying to make the team, and you don't show/prove anything by taking a touchback. In regular season, teams will be smart, and just take the touchback instead of running it back deep in the end zone.

NitroGSXR
09-06-2011, 12:57 PM
I think a lot of this is motivational tactics right now.

Does anyone believe that Slaton will enter the season ahead of Tate on the depth chart? Or Casey ahead of Vickers? Or 5 guys ahead of Dobbins?

A lot of this will change. It should be taken with a grain of salt.

AHHHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Just ribbing ya.

76Texan
09-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Deion Sanders, not just a starter but one of the best CB's in history, a hall of famer and player who teams correctly thought might be the last key piece to get to a SB, returned punts and kicks. This seems overblown to me although I understand the concern.

That explains why they didn't expose him during preseason. No sense in risking injury in practice games. I think they knew what KR skills Manning had when they signed him. And during P/S they tried various guys to unseat him at KR. No one could.

Now that these games count, you put the guys that give you the best shot to win on the field at every position. You can't play scared.

Exactly!

You play the guys that give your team the best chance to win (unless the team has already wrapped up the #1 seed in the play-off!) http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif