PDA

View Full Version : wow...shannon sharpe

Wolf
08-07-2011, 05:01 PM
My big brother, Sterling … I'm the only player of 267 men that's walked through this building to my left that can honestly say this: I'm the only pro football player that's in the Hall of Fame, and the second best player in my own family.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Sharpe-8217-s-tribute-to-his-brother-went-above?urn=nfl-wp4687

Wow, that is touching

StarStruck
08-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Very good speech. Seems each year I need Kleenex.

HJam72
08-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Eli Manning will say it someday. Heck , he might be the 3rd best in his family, LOL.

jaayteetx
08-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Eli Manning will say it someday. Heck , he might be the 3rd best in his family, LOL.

I don't see him making the HOF but I could be wrong.

HJam72
08-07-2011, 05:46 PM
I don't see him making the HOF but I could be wrong.

Yeah, I gotta admit I'm not sure about it...

Showtime100
08-07-2011, 05:53 PM
I loved Shannon's speech. I was waiting and looking forward to laugh with him and enjoy that he was in. Instead he was more serious than I thought and I loved that too.

I found myself watching the clock when Sanders was preaching....um...giving his speech. I guess I never liked him and never will. I found his speech overbearing and self-indulgent and I am very aware that this was a HOF acceptance speech, but nonetheless I didn't feel that with other inductees.

BSofA04
08-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Shannon's speech was awesome! Sometime it got a little redundant, but overall I didn't fast forward through a single word. I loved it. I could tell it came from his heart. One of the best speeches ever.

Marshall Faulk.....well I had to fast forward after minute 18....

TheMatrix31
08-07-2011, 10:00 PM
I loved Shannon's speech. I was waiting and looking forward to laugh with him and enjoy that he was in. Instead he was more serious than I thought and I loved that too.

I found myself watching the clock when Sanders was preaching....um...giving his speech. I guess I never liked him and never will. I found his speech overbearing and self-indulgent and I am very aware that this was a HOF acceptance speech, but nonetheless I didn't feel that with other inductees.

100% agreed. Shannon's was PERFECT. Deion's was annoying.

drs23
08-08-2011, 12:22 AM
100% agreed. Shannon's was PERFECT. Deion's was annoying.

I thought Shannon Sharp's speech was the best of all of them...that I listened to. Couldn't tell you anything about Sanders' because I didn't hear a word of it. Personally can't stand the arrogant ____________. Great player but will be the death of my mute button.

chicagotexan2
08-08-2011, 08:00 AM

I missed the entire show but all they played on espn was sanders. I can't stomach listening to this clown. He sets off an instant mute button in me. He did sound like a preacher or used car salesman. I'm going to watch sharpe today he's always entertaining and funny. In my opinion I'll say Barry sanderrs' speech was pretty bad too. Maybe it's a sanders thang i wouldn't understand.

Double Barrel
08-08-2011, 12:04 PM
The only speech I was compelled to watch was Sharpe's, and I'm so glad I did.

I couldn't help but feel a big ol' lump in my throat when he was talking about his grandma and the only thing she wanted in life. Her boys could give her anything, but this wonderful woman just wanted a house that did not leak when it rains. That story right there was so poignant, so powerful, and it really made me glad I watched his speech. I wish more people had that point-of-view, because we are so spoiled as a nation that we have lost focus and perspective.

I recorded the whole thing, but I have not been compelled to watch Sanders or Faulk, and judging by the comments in this thread, I might never be compelled. DVR "erase".

The1ApplePie
08-08-2011, 12:17 PM
I missed the entire show but all they played on espn was sanders. I can't stomach listening to this clown. He sets off an instant mute button in me. He did sound like a preacher or used car salesman. I'm going to watch sharpe today he's always entertaining and funny. In my opinion I'll say Barry sanderrs' speech was pretty bad too. Maybe it's a sanders thang i wouldn't understand.

The tale about the origins of "Prime Time" was very good in Deon's speech, but the rest was meh

hobie
08-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Never really like Sharpe as a player.. his arrogant attitude, but after his speech, I have gained respect for Sharpe, the man !

Hardcore Texan
08-08-2011, 12:30 PM
You guys should check out the piece they did on NFL films about Sharpe, it was fantastic.

I posted this about it: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83640

chicagotexan2
08-08-2011, 01:02 PM
The tale about the origins of "Prime Time" was very good in Deon's speech, but the rest was meh

I gave it another shot. It was probably about as annoying as having to listen to a prayer from Rick Perry doing a Soulja Boy tryin to make it rain.

The Pencil Neck
08-08-2011, 01:37 PM
You guys should check out the piece they did on NFL films about Sharpe, it was fantastic.

I posted this about it: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83640

That piece was so good I made my wife watch it and she loved it.

StarStruck
08-08-2011, 05:10 PM
As usual I watched the entire program and these are some of the points I either enjoyed or was inspired.

Ed Sabol, founder of NFL Films - Excellent NFL video production and his remark “I dreamt the impossible dream and now I'm living it.”

Richard Dent - "None of us can get anywhere by ourselves."

Shannon Sharpe "To my big brother Sterling. I'm the only player of 267 men who have walked through this building to my left, that can honestly say this: I'm the only pro football player who's in the Hall of Fame, and I'm the second best player in my own family." All his grandmother wanted from them was a home that it could rain all night long and she could wake up and not be wet.

Marshall Faulk - Didn't want to be just the best RB, but the best football playe out there. Remembering 9th Ward and high school coach that helped him in making important decisions.

Chris Hanburger - Can see Billy Kilmer because of the full head of gray hair. When thinking of the cost of bringing all of his family members to the induction he thought about selling some of his speaking time, and went through each inductee. Excellent dry wit.

Deion Sanders “Since 1989, I’ve tackled every bill my momma has ever given me.” Placing the bandana on his bust. Thanking high school coach for kicking him, the QB off the team because of something the cafeteria worker said that he still denies. However, said that rarely happens today to star players. The story of how he became a punt returner. After telling his mom that he was going to be rich and she would never have to work again she told him fine, now get the lawnmower and get out there and cut the grass. Bringing seven busloads of kids to the ceremony.

Les Richter - Posthumously entered the hall of fame. Was once traded for 11 players.

dc_txtech
08-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Wow is right, that was an amazing speech. TBH I almost didn't click the link because I don't really care to hear those types of things unless it's a player that I really care about. Very glad I did though.

Thanks Wolf.