PDA

View Full Version : How many wins do you estimate in 2011??

Perki-Perk
08-05-2011, 02:57 PM
First off, glad that I can finally post now and not just sit back lurking. This seems like a great forum from what I've read for the past few years and I finally signed up for an account. Now, on to business:

I say we win anywhere from 10-12 this year.

People keep expecting the same Ol Texans this year, but I beg to differ. Hello, we actually addressed holes this offseason with the D, I think by week 1 it will mostly come together. Definitely by midseason we are ATLEAST an average to above average defense. People are forgetting a lot of the mitigating factors that made us fail last year.

1: Slow starts on offense due to bad field position (Punt Returns and Kickoff returns anyone?).

2. Secondary: We signed Joseph and Manning and Quinn is no slouch. I think with the rookies we drafted, KJ's second year and the new schemes with split safeties, we will be MUCH improved.

3. No Cushing for first 4 games and no Ryans for last 10.5. I also think Cushing works better with Meco out there. Connor Barwin is back, and JJ Watt looks really good from what we're hearing. Earl Mitchell seems to be taking real well to the NT position.

4. We were 13 against the Run, not last and I think with our returning LB core, we should be vastly improved adding to the fact that an improved secondary will only help the front 7.

5. Also last year, we gave other offenses good field position due to our lousy punting ability (read: Turk) and then needed a depleted and injured defense to perform in the clutch a high percentage of the time due to field position of the other team.

If you factor in all of this, where exactly do any of you see less than 10 wins barring any significant injury or inability of the 3-4 def to get going considering Wade's already stated it will be an easy D to learn....

michaelm
08-05-2011, 03:18 PM
For now, I'm going to say 8-9.

I'm in a wait and see mode regarding players on defense recovering from injury, and even more players on defense transitioning to new positions.

Special teams is somewhat of a gray area to me at this point.

Offense is good to go.

Patriotsmuse
08-05-2011, 03:18 PM
First off, glad that I can finally post now and not just sit back lurking. This seems like a great forum from what I've read for the past few years and I finally signed up for an account. Now, on to business:

I say we win anywhere from 10-12 this year.

People keep expecting the same Ol Texans this year, but I beg to differ. Hello, we actually addressed holes this offseason with the D, I think by week 1 it will mostly come together. Definitely by midseason we are ATLEAST an average to above average defense. People are forgetting a lot of the mitigating factors that made us fail last year.

1: Slow starts on offense due to bad field position (Punt Returns and Kickoff returns anyone?).

2. Secondary: We signed Joseph and Manning and Quinn is no slouch. I think with the rookies we drafted, KJ's second year and the new schemes with split safeties, we will be MUCH improved.

3. No Cushing for first 4 games and no Ryans for last 10.5. I also think Cushing works better with Meco out there. Connor Barwin is back, and JJ Watt looks really good from what we're hearing. Earl Mitchell seems to be taking real well to the NT position.

4. We were 13 against the Run, not last and I think with our returning LB core, we should be vastly improved adding to the fact that an improved secondary will only help the front 7.

5. Also last year, we gave other offenses good field position due to our lousy punting ability (read: Turk) and then needed a depleted and injured defense to perform in the clutch a high percentage of the time due to field position of the other team.

If you factor in all of this, where exactly do any of you see less than 10 wins barring any significant injury or inability of the 3-4 def to get going considering Wade's already stated it will be an easy D to learn....

Texans 2011 schedule is very balanced with each four-game quarter of the schedule featuring two home games and two road games.
Three of Houstonís first four opponents have hoisted the Lombardi Trophy within the last six years. Indianapolis (Week 1) won Super Bowl XLI following the 2006 season; New Orleans (Week 3) claimed Super Bowl XLIV after the 2009 season; and Pittsburgh won Super Bowl XLIII following the 2008 season.
We will play six games against 2010 playoff teams and seven games against teams that finished last season with winning records. Houston also plays four games against teams that finished 8-8 a year ago.

We will win 9 games.

Victory over :
Jaguars
Titans
Panthers
Dolphins
Raiders
Ravens
Browns
Buccaneers
Falcons

Trail.Blazr
08-05-2011, 03:19 PM
I would agree that we "should" win 10-12 this year.

However, I've become conditioned as a fan and I will reserve greatness for a time when I'm proven wrong.

8-8

IT'S STILL KUBIAK!!!

Double Barrel
08-05-2011, 03:21 PM
For now, I'm going to say 8-9.

I'm in a wait and see mode regarding players on defense recovering from injury, and even more players on defense transitioning to new positions.

Special teams is somewhat of a gray area to me at this point.

Offense is good to go.

What he said. :cowboy1:

b0ng
08-05-2011, 03:25 PM
8 or 9 seems right. Of course, we have yet to see a real defensive coordinator on our staff until this season so hopes are spinning out of control.

Blake
08-05-2011, 03:28 PM
This is the Texans year. With Matt Schaub at the helm we are instantly better than 1/2 the teams on our schedule. Peyton has issues with the 3-4 defense as opposed to tearing up the 4-3. With Kubiak on offense, Wade on defense (both of their strong suits) the players should be in position to make alot of plays. Our depth is lacking which will cost us a game or 2. But with the Texans triplets we will be hard to stop again this year.

10 victories. Should be enough to win the division, or at least a wild card. I also think the Texans will be very dangerous in their first playoff game. I have a hard time seeing them win a 2nd or the AFC title game with the talent in this league. Obviously strange things can happen and sports are unpredictable as is life. Now its time to see if we have fools gold or the real thing.

TexanSam
08-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Kinda have the same feeling about our defense as I did when David Carr was finally gone and Schaub brought in. Hoping for an improvement but I've become so used to that unit playing poorly that I'll wait and see what happens. Thankfully Schaub is the real deal. Hopefully our D with Wade Phillips calling the shots is also.

Perki-Perk
08-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Valid points, seems to definitely be a lot of reservations around here to do previous years. However, in previous years I think it was just being a fan, blind faith if you will when we had obvious holes. Where are the obvious holes this year?

That's what bugs me...going in to last year, it seemed everyone knew we needed a place kicker and something in the secondary. Not everyone was buying off on KJ the savior talk, though most it seems were.

This year, we needed to:

1)Improve Secondary - Check
2)Obtain 3-4 type players - Check
3)Obtain a new Punter - Check
4)Replace any departing "valuable" FA's - Check

I can't sit here and let anyone tell me, that even with the slightest improvement on Defense that that's not a 4 to 5 game improvement seeing as how we gave up games in the 4th due to defensive blunders. About 7 of them I think. The other 3 are largely based on Defense, but there was no excuse for not running the ball against Indy in the second meeting as well as the debacle that was the Cowboys and Giants owning us.

We are largely returning the same offense, swap VL for LV.

The Defense can absolutely NOT get any worse... I don't see why all the pessimism here folks....It's a brand new year. Only extremely bad play calling could screw this up, and injuries.

I'm am genuinely excited this year for the first time since 02. (well and after the Colts win game 1 last year, they had no answer for Foster)

michaelm
08-05-2011, 03:38 PM
What he said. :cowboy1:

You know, that was an off the cuff prediction.
At the time I wrote that, I had not taken pen to paper and did a W/L prediction of our actual schedule. I just did that, and I'm kinda scared to say, I came up with 11 wins.

(3 out of the first 4 games will be shoot outs. After that, I think the D will settle in)

Colts - W (I think we really have gotten over the hump with this team)
@Dolphins - W
@Saints - L
Steelers - L
Raiders - W
@Ravens - L
@Tits - W
Jags - W
Browns - W
@Bucks - W
Bye Week
@Jags - L
Falcons - L
@Bengals - W
Panthers - W
@Colts - W (Yes, W!)
Tits - W

-You'll be surprised to see that I have us sweeping the Dolts and Tits, but splitting with the Jags.

-I think Tampa will fall off this year. Their Cinderella story will be somewhat truncated.

Some teams are just pitiful - Tits, Browns, Bengals, Panthers

Until proven otherwise, I cannot predict us winning against teams that are clearly supposed to beat us - Steelers, Saints, Ravens, Falcons

-This entire post feels homerish to me. I usually take great pains to check my inner homer at the door, and I really think I have been objective in my predictions.

-Even I am surprised by the record I am predicating.

hobie
08-05-2011, 03:40 PM
I will actually be happy if they go 9-7... Not concerned about playoffs, just want to get back to a winning record, then take it from there

Perki-Perk
08-05-2011, 03:40 PM
@michael, I was also unsure of how you cam up with 8-9, unless you meant wins not record..haha. I was like, so are we winning the division with an 8-8 record and losing in the first round?

Perki-Perk
08-05-2011, 03:44 PM
This entire post feels homerish to me. I usually take great pains to check my inner homer at the door, and I really think I have been objective in my predictions.

This was exactly my problem, but I gotta tell you, I've been looking at it over and over again, inside and out. I've bounced it off several people and nobody can give legitimate data that says we win less than 10 (not counting injury, suspension, death, whatnot).

I really actually factually think we are putting the first product on the field. I will not be happy with anything less than 10 wins this year. Abso freakin lutely unacceptable!!

michaelm
08-05-2011, 03:45 PM
@michael, I was also unsure of how you cam up with 8-9, unless you meant wins not record..haha. I was like, so are we winning the division with an 8-8 record and losing in the first round?

The question was how many wins do you estimate. I predicted 8-9 wins, not an 8 and 9 record.
I can see where it looked that way, though. LOL

TEXANRED
08-05-2011, 03:49 PM
I say 9-7

michaelm
08-05-2011, 03:50 PM
The biggest thing that jumped out at me when analyzing our opponents is the large number of teams with QB situations that are either shaky, or flat out awful.

See below.

Colts - W
@Dolphins - W
@Saints - L
Steelers - L
Raiders - W
@Ravens - L
@Tits - W
Jags - W
Browns - W
@Bucks - W
Bye Week
@Jags - L
Falcons - L
@Bengals - W
Panthers - W
@Colts - W (Yes, W!)
Tits - W

Ole Miss Texan
08-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Colts - W
@Dolphins - W
@Saints - W
Steelers - L
Raiders - W
@Ravens - L
@Tits - L
Jags - W
Browns - W
@Bucks - W
Bye Week
@Jags - W
Falcons - L
@Bengals - W
Panthers - W
@Colts - L
Tits - W

11-5, Win the AFC South

Kimmy
08-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Colts - L
@Dolphins - W
@Saints - W
Steelers - L
Raiders - W
@Ravens - W
@Tits - W
Jags - L
Browns - L
@Bucks - L
Bye Week
@Jags - W
Falcons - L
@Bengals - W
Panthers - W
@Colts - L
Tits - L

8-8

I hope I'm wrong. It is just like this team to lose when we are supposed to win and win the ones we were to lose.

I do have a hotel reservation secured in Feb. that is 15 minutes from Lucas Oil Stadium ..... just in case

disaacks3
08-05-2011, 03:57 PM
10-6 - We were 3 plays from 9-7 last year, I pray we've improved by more than those plays.

Colts - W
@Dolphins - W
@Saints - L
Steelers - L
Raiders - W
@Ravens - L
@Tits - W
Jags - W
Browns - W
@Bucks - W
Bye Week
@Jags - L
Falcons - L
@Bengals - W
Panthers - W
@Colts - L
Tits - W

Perki-Perk
08-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Colts - W
@Dolphins - W
@Saints - W
Steelers - L
Raiders - W
@Ravens - L
@Tits - L
Jags - W
Browns - W
@Bucks - W
Bye Week
@Jags - W
Falcons - L
@Bengals - W
Panthers - W
@Colts - L
Tits - W

11-5, Win the AFC South

I say we beat the Ravens at home before we go into the Saints "hood" and mop the field with them. Swap those 2 results and I like what I'm seeing.

nytexan
08-05-2011, 04:10 PM
The #1 key will be to stay healthy. If that runs true, 11-5. I keep looking at that number and wonder if I've gone crazy, but I think Philips and the improved secondary makes us a scary team. We have too much talent on the offensive side of the ball and if the defense makes a turn around (I know a leap of faith) this will be the team the national networks will be kicking themselves for not showing.

I haven't been this optimistic on these guys ever and I'm going for it.

11-5

DX-TEX
08-05-2011, 04:18 PM
The #1 key will be to stay healthy. If that runs true, 11-5. I keep looking at that number and wonder if I've gone crazy, but I think Philips and the improved secondary makes us a scary team. We have too much talent on the offensive side of the ball and if the defense makes a turn around (I know a leap of faith) this will be the team the national networks will be kicking themselves for not showing.

I haven't been this optimistic on these guys ever and I'm going for it.

11-5

Few sites have already done their predictions and so far that as what most of them have us pegged at. So Ill go with 11-5 as well. 5-1 in division simply because the Jags will beat us once. Yes, I firmly believe we will go 2-0 against Indy this year.

With Mannings neck and his LG and LT being rookies I believe Wade throws the kitchen sink at him week 1. By teh time the 2nd meeting comes around Manning will be seriously gun shy and have happy feet.

SheTexan
08-05-2011, 04:20 PM
For the first time EVER, I'm putting us in the double digit win column.

11-5

I'm gettin OLD!! I gotta believe this will be a good year and we make it to the playoffs where good karma will kick in and we'll be in Indy in Feb! DON'T blast me for believing! We haven't had a game yet!:texflag:

Perki-Perk
08-05-2011, 04:38 PM
For the first time EVER, I'm putting us in the double digit win column.

11-5

I'm gettin OLD!! I gotta believe this will be a good year and we make it to the playoffs where good karma will kick in and we'll be in Indy in Feb! DON'T blast me for believing! We haven't had a game yet!:texflag:

I like your style and considering what the Rox and Stros are going through right now, by God, we deserve something good to happen in this completely and untterly ridiculously awesome city!!

gary
Two things.
1. I don't count on every starter staying healthy for all sixteen games just because of the nature of football
2. Anything less than ten wins would be a fail

Perki-Perk
I say 9-7

Why, besides "9-7 Meh"

badboy
08-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Saints and Falcons are ? to me. We can beat them and Ravens. In my mind (that's a scary place) Steelers should be our only loss. I am not going to predict anything yet, but if our roster performs in the O, D and ST as they are expected, the NFL better watch out. ESPN may have to talk about us more than they want to.

ESPN: "Okay, Texans went 15-1 & won the Super Bowl, but how about Philly? And then there are the Cowboys and is Favre going to play again."

Double Barrel
08-05-2011, 04:41 PM
You know, that was an off the cuff prediction.
At the time I wrote that, I had not taken pen to paper and did a W/L prediction of our actual schedule. I just did that, and I'm kinda scared to say, I came up with 11 wins.

(3 out of the first 4 games will be shoot outs. After that, I think the D will settle in)

Colts - W (I think we really have gotten over the hump with this team)
@Dolphins - W
@Saints - L
Steelers - L
Raiders - W
@Ravens - L
@Tits - W
Jags - W
Browns - W
@Bucks - W
Bye Week
@Jags - L
Falcons - L
@Bengals - W
Panthers - W
@Colts - W (Yes, W!)
Tits - W

-You'll be surprised to see that I have us sweeping the Dolts and Tits, but splitting with the Jags.

-I think Tampa will fall off this year. Their Cinderella story will be somewhat truncated.

Some teams are just pitiful - Tits, Browns, Bengals, Panthers

Until proven otherwise, I cannot predict us winning against teams that are clearly supposed to beat us - Steelers, Saints, Ravens, Falcons

-This entire post feels homerish to me. I usually take great pains to check my inner homer at the door, and I really think I have been objective in my predictions.

I like your optimism, man. This is the most optimistic that I've been as a Texans fan for a long time. :thumbup

But, I'm still going with your initial post.

And the reason is that I used your math above, but you forgot to divide that by the X Factor.

X = Gary Kubiak. :rake:

Until Gary proves himself to be a good game manager as a head coach, I have to reserve myself from expecting too much from his team.

I'm not hating on the guy, but rather after 5 seasons / 60 games (37-43), I'm just not convinced that he can not over-think himself.

Perki-Perk
08-05-2011, 04:45 PM
I like your optimism, man. This is the most optimistic that I've been as a Texans fan for a long time. :thumbup

And the reason is that I used your math above, but you forgot to divide that by the X Factor.

Until Gary proves himself to be a good game manager as a head coach, I have to reserve myself from expecting too much from his team.

I'm not hating on the guy, but rather after 5 seasons / 60 games (37-43), I'm just not convinced that he can not over-think himself.

You just had to go and do it didn't you? How dare you bring up the X factor in the fact that Kubiak is not a HC...ugghh

Double Barrel
08-05-2011, 04:50 PM
You just had to go and do it didn't you? How dare you bring up the X factor in the fact that Kubiak is not a HC...ugghh

Well, that little cynic inside of me couldn't resist. :fingergun:

Hopefully year 6 will be the one that I can point to in the future as the year that Kubiak finally convinced me.

Like all Texans fans, I just want a better future and let the past be the past. :texflag:

michaelm
08-05-2011, 04:55 PM

I definitely understand what you're saying. I guess i am being optimistic.

However comma, the X factor was able to get a Texans team with less talent than the current one to a 9-7 record with a complete scrub for a D coordinator.
I'm hopeful that Wade will be in Kubiak's hip pocket on game day, ready to smack him on the hand with a ruler if he acts up in class.

FirstTexansFan
08-05-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm drinking the kool-aid... SheTexan has me fired up and believing... Gotta believe the difference in our defense is going to get us into the double digits for wins in spite of a HC that hasn't proven to be a game manager. 11-5, and we get to the AFC title game. Not sure we can get to the Super Bowl, but anything is possible in kool-aid land... so why the heck not? :)

jaayteetx
08-05-2011, 05:13 PM
19-0. Yep.

Texas T
08-05-2011, 05:17 PM
I'm afraid to even guess...the homer in me is on board with the 11-5...the realist in me knows who our head coach is and I'm scared.

I'm really nervous about the Steelers game because my wife is a Steelers fan and I don't want to have to listen to the snickers...

So I'll homer-up and say 11-5 with a win against the Steelers!!

ATXtexanfan
08-05-2011, 05:20 PM
11-5

hradhak
08-05-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm going 10-6. I think Peyton isn't going to be as effective as he has been in the past. 2 neck surgeries are gonna slow him down, especially when we beat on him during the first game.

Thorn
08-05-2011, 05:35 PM
The only thing predictable about the Texans is their consistent mediocrity. Let us all pray to the football gods that will soon end.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-05-2011, 05:41 PM
5-7 after 12 games seems like a safe bet.

nytexan
08-05-2011, 05:43 PM
The only thing predictable about the Texans is their consistent mediocrity. Let us all pray to the football gods that will soon end.

Have faith brother, Gary gets to the ultimate .500 record..... 48-48 it's in the cards.... 11-5

Perki-Perk
08-05-2011, 05:45 PM

get out!!

Double Barrel
08-05-2011, 05:52 PM

However comma, the X factor was able to get a Texans team with less talent than the current one to a 9-7 record with a complete scrub for a D coordinator.
I'm hopeful that Wade will be in Kubiak's hip pocket on game day, ready to smack him on the hand with a ruler if he acts up in class.

Nothing wrong with that attitude, man! Adding Wade to the mix certainly gives me hope, as well. I am hoping that his influence as an experienced HC rubs off on Gary.

Your schedule predictions look solid, although I'm not yet convinced that we will sweep Indy. I would love it, though.

lol! I can't help but find this funny, and I can't blame you after four years in a row of 5-7. It's a dark and gloomy prediction, but it's a perspective that also resonates - at least a little - in many fans.

Texas T
08-05-2011, 06:05 PM

Crap-not this again...we will NOT be 5-7 after 12 games damnit!!!! I don't care what we are but for gods sake not 5-7...

Surreal McCoy
08-05-2011, 06:15 PM
I'll go with 8-8 and a massive TT parade as Kubes is led away from the building.

Actually, it could be worse than that if AJ goes down for any length of time, seeing as the entire offence is predicated on his presence.

Still, looking forward to this season, playoffs or not!

Thorn
08-05-2011, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure I want to be around this board if we go 8-8 again. :eek:

Kimmy
08-05-2011, 06:21 PM
I'm not sure I want to be around this board if we go 8-8 again. :eek:

Me either .. but you know we will. We're Texan Fans aka; Gluttons for punishment

EllisUnit
08-05-2011, 06:29 PM
I-m gonna go under what i really feel just to be safe.

i say 15-16 regular season wins

and 2-3 Play-off wins,

1 superbowl win

Don't dogg me for low balling this guys just dont see us doing much better :kingkong:

b0ng
08-05-2011, 06:34 PM

A fair post in this thread.

Thorn
08-05-2011, 06:36 PM
I-m gonna go under what i really feel just to be safe.

i say 15-16 regular season wins

and 2-3 Play-off wins,

1 superbowl win

Don't dogg me for low balling this guys just dont see us doing much better :kingkong:

Obviously your drugs are better than mine. :lol:

EllisUnit
08-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Obviously your drugs are better than mine. :lol:

Got a good batch of that Colombian stuff. Pure/uncut :wheel:

brakos82
08-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Me either .. but you know we will. We're Texan Fans aka; Gluttons for punishment

But you managed to get away with under 1k posts.... we didn't. :rake:

drs23
08-05-2011, 07:58 PM
All of 'em! :D

brakos82
08-05-2011, 08:02 PM
I'm going to guess somewhere between 0 and 19 wins. Just to be safe. :spin:

chicagotexan2
08-05-2011, 08:11 PM
I'll go with 11.

Everttime I try I try to get out they pull me back in.

The Pencil Neck
08-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Where are the obvious holes this year?

The obvious holes are:

1) In the middle of the defensive line. Although Wade doesn't want a big space-eater in the middle, most 3-4's are based on that concept. So not having a big guy in the middle worries me.

2) OLB. We're taking some huge risks on the outside. We're looking at 3 possible starters and none of them have played the LB spot as anything other than a gimmick. We've got 3 guys that are not used to coverage and one of them is 280#+ and will almost undoubtedly be one of the largest OLBs to ever play in this league. (Granted, Jeremiah Trotter was a 300# LB playing for the Eagles but he was at the Mike.)

3) CB2. I think there are 4 guys seriously in the running for the CB2spot: Jason Allen, KJ, Brandon Harris, Roc Carmichael. Jason Allen is flirting with being a bust and after his rookie season, KJ doesn't look any better. Harris and Carmichael are rookies.

4) SS. Although most of us expect Quin to be a serious upgrade at the Safety spot, he hasn't played the position before. So this is a risk.

5) Shift to 3-4. Ultimately, we're shifting our defense and a lot of people are going to be put into positions that they're not used to.

While I think the defense will be improved (it can't get much worse), there's plenty of ways this defense could go wrong. Wade is not playing a standard 3-4 here. This is a kind of an experiment. He's playing with some different concepts and schemes here with a penetrating 1-gap 3-4 front that is really almost a 5-2. The problem with the 5-2 is in coverage.

If Wade can take this personnell and make it work immediately, this will be a huge feather in his cap.

The Pencil Neck
08-05-2011, 08:36 PM
get out!!

What is it? 4 years in a row of starting 5-7?

The Pencil Neck
08-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Last year, I said 10-6.

I don't think there's a single team in this league that we can't beat. Our offense is that good and our defense should be improved. I'm hoping our ST improves, too.

Every year since Kubiak has come here, I've looked at our record and seen the improvement in the team and said, "that's got to give us X more victories." And most of the time, it hasn't.

I'm going to say 10-6 but I'd be lying if I said I was absolutely confident in that prediction.

texan_fan80
08-05-2011, 08:58 PM
honestly, this team has under achieved for the past few years. and with how tough the schedule is i feel doubtful saying they will win 10 or 11 games. which i think they are capable of doing. i see 8-8 or 9-7. but i hope im wrong. its going to be a very interesting season for the texans with all the changes. :texflag:

Playoffs
08-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Colts - W
@Dolphins - W
@Saints - L
Steelers - L
Raiders - W
@Ravens - L
@Tits - W
Jags - W
Browns - W
@Bucs - L
Bye Week
@Jags - W
Falcons - L
@Bengals - W
Panthers - W
@Colts - L
Tits - W

ObsiWan
08-05-2011, 09:54 PM
The obvious holes are:

1) In the middle of the defensive line. Although Wade doesn't want a big space-eater in the middle, most 3-4's are based on that concept. So not having a big guy in the middle worries me.

2) OLB. We're taking some huge risks on the outside. We're looking at 3 possible starters and none of them have played the LB spot as anything other than a gimmick. We've got 3 guys that are not used to coverage and one of them is 280#+ and will almost undoubtedly be one of the largest OLBs to ever play in this league. (Granted, Jeremiah Trotter was a 300# LB playing for the Eagles but he was at the Mike.)

3) CB2. I think there are 4 guys seriously in the running for the CB2spot: Jason Allen, KJ, Brandon Harris, Roc Carmichael. Jason Allen is flirting with being a bust and after his rookie season, KJ doesn't look any better. Harris and Carmichael are rookies.

4) SS. Although most of us expect Quin to be a serious upgrade at the Safety spot, he hasn't played the position before. So this is a risk.

5) Shift to 3-4. Ultimately, we're shifting our defense and a lot of people are going to be put into positions that they're not used to.

While I think the defense will be improved (it can't get much worse), there's plenty of ways this defense could go wrong. Wade is not playing a standard 3-4 here. This is a kind of an experiment. He's playing with some different concepts and schemes here with a penetrating 1-gap 3-4 front that is really almost a 5-2. The problem with the 5-2 is in coverage.

If Wade can take this personnell and make it work immediately, this will be a huge feather in his cap.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ459euxDFhfNJnDBaO_ATuwigjuHCQj rAi_pz0O1HPJoQ7Gywz

I concur with your observations but I would term them as uncertainties rather that straight up "holes". Additionally, I would add other uncertainties:
6. What level of effectiveness will DeMeco return to after his season-ending injury? 100%? 90%? 80%? Less?

7. Between the surgery and coming off the juice, what level of effectiveness can we expect from Cushing? Will he return to his DRotY play level or is the post-suspension level who he really is?

8. To a lesser degree the loss of Leach still bothers me. I'll grant you that Vickers seems to be cut from the same cloth as Leach; loves to hit, passionate about the game, great locker room guy. But you can't lose a pro-bowl caliber player and not have that side of the ball suffer - at least a little. Let me see how Vickers does in those third or fourth & short situs.

On paper we have enough talent to post a 11-5 or even 12-4 record. But that talent level needs to be coupled with a "We EXPECT to win EVERY game" attitude. I want to see a team that crushes the weaker teams without remorse and outslugs or out shoots the better teams. Without that killer attitude, we're a 8-8 or 9-7 team at best.

Let me see some preseason games and then I'll post a season prediction.

Corrosion
08-05-2011, 10:56 PM
:nolisten: Im not listening to the debbie downers .... :nolisten:

:logo: 19-0 :trophy:

Perki-Perk
08-06-2011, 12:16 AM
How dare some of you come in here and actually post legitimate concerns?!

MEGA SWATT
08-06-2011, 12:57 AM
10-6:kingkong:

SteveSlaton20
08-06-2011, 02:27 AM
7-8 wins.

House of Pain
08-06-2011, 02:34 AM
10-12

I think their floor is one-and-done in the playoffs, and their ceiling is making the AFC Championship game.

80tothezone
08-06-2011, 02:38 AM
well we all know where the floor is lol......

Malloy
08-06-2011, 04:51 AM
12-4, I'll bet my life on it! (Quote: The Princess Bride) :)

ObsiWan
08-06-2011, 05:29 AM
How dare some of you come in here and actually post legitimate concerns?!

it's your own fault. you should have said, "this is a logic-free thread - emotion-based predictions only!"
:D

Malloy
08-06-2011, 06:16 AM
it's your own fault. you should have said, "this is a logic-free thread - emotion-based predictions only!"

Spot on :)

ObsiWan
08-06-2011, 06:24 AM
Spot on :)

if he had done so I would have channelled this guy
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkL2MMgM4N7mCoQ_m1gD1u1RHK1TVXY u1HRYYlF6frEB5Aak7S
and predicted 13-5
(we win our first two playoff games but get beat in the AFC championship game by Brady & Co.)

Grams
08-06-2011, 06:36 AM
No "Debbie Downer" here.

It is pre-season, draft was good, free agency was good, NFL football is back and the sky is the limit.Optimism is extremely high.

10-11 reg season wins.

:fans:

Trail.Blazr
08-06-2011, 07:37 AM

LOL, no love for me, as with the 3rd reply in the thread already banked a prediction considering Kube's... however, in regards to the notion that a 9-7 record was once achieved, it would totally shock me if it could be determined that the X factor wasn't single handedly responsible from turning a 10-6 or 11-5 record into that very 9-7. He'll jack it up again.. good coaches take talent like what's on the texan's roster to the playoffs. Great coaches go on to hoist the Lombardi. Our coach schedules sleep apnea surgery during the combine. You should get this...??? !!! Kubes is a huge X-factor. I'll wager my pink soap on it.

Shucks... I don't understand why anyone has a problem with 8-8.

We are Texans! Futility and mediocrity is a birthright!

BetaV1
08-06-2011, 09:11 AM
These are always fun. Here I go:

Colts - L
The Colts are coming off another one-and-done playoff campaign and will certainly look to put that familiarly awful taste behind them. They take their anger out on the Texans. And while we're pumped and excited going into this year (aren't we every year?), the truth is we aren't going catch anyone off guard anymore. The Colts certainly won't, especially given how last year's opener went. Our record from last year says we were 6-10, but everyone in the NFL knows we aren't a 6-10 team. We get reminded week one that a winning record still needs to be earned on the field and not on paper. We lose by as little as a single point or by as many as twenty.

@Dolphins - W
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2448/lolphins1.jpg

@Saints - W
This is our real statement game, and we make it count. We go into New Orleans to face the awesome 2-0 Saints and walk out winners...decisively. I honestly have no real basis for my prediction here, other than just a bold prediction. But I feel way more comfortable about this game than most.

Steelers - L
And in typical Texans fashion, we follow an epic win with an epic fail. :toropalm:

Raiders - W
Al Davis and the Raiders continue trucking on with the NFL version of the film Major League.

@Ravens - L
This game could go either way in all honesty. By this time, the Texans defense should be starting to gel as they reach mid-season form. I'm only giving it to the Ravens as it's clearly the safer bet, but will be a nail biter with the potential for another overtime meeting between the two.

@Titans - W
All the Metamucil in the world can't help Hasselbeck as he puts up his worst performance as a Titan. Hasselbeck is bench indefinitely following the game.

Jags - W
:kingkong:

Browns - W
A very close win. The Browns aren't going to scare anyone, but we'd be foolish to automatically think this will be easy. We win a very close one.

@Bucs - L
The Bucs are one of the youngest teams in the NFL, and they have already shown a lot of promise last year. They'll be no better or no worse this year. We head into the bye week 6-4

***Bye Week***
Someone writes "Cortland Finnegan" on a punching bag in the Texans locker room. Andre Johnson enters. There are no survivors.

@Jags - W
We take care of business. 7-4.

Falcons - W
Another statement game in the second half of the season we near the final stretch. 8-4

@Bengals - W
Texans stomp 'em out in front of a rambunctious Bengal crowd of nearly 7,000 fans. Texans now 9-4

Panthers - W
Another stomp 'em out performance. Texans 10-4, setting up for first place in the division next week in Indy.

@Colts -
The big one. Week 1 is in our minds as well as our current hot streak. It's been just over a month since we've last lost a game and the Texans look poised to finally win the division. While I'd like for the Texans to take this one and really want to get behind them, I realistically can't. Indy at home just seems like too much...

L. :kubepalm:

Titans - W
Titans have been riding Jake Locker following our first meeting and they're doing just a smidgen better at this point. We still easily handle them and finish the season on a high note. We wait and hope things fall our way for a wild card spot.

Final record: 11-5. :texflag:

b0ng
08-06-2011, 09:46 AM
I honestly don't think the NFCs is as good as everybody thinks they are. Matt Ryan is wildly overrated as a QB (Mostly because Roddy White is the king of the push-off on 3rd and whatever), I think the Saints defense is opportunistic, but still beatable, and I really think that the 10-6 Bucs playing a 4th place schedule is set up to go 8-8 this year (Glazers gonna glaze) or worse. Playing the RAIDAHS and the Dolphins should help our cause out this year rather than having to play the Jets and Chargers.

Still have us pegged at like 9-7.

SteveSlaton20
08-06-2011, 02:26 PM
These are always fun. Here I go:

Colts - L
The Colts are coming off another one-and-done playoff campaign and will certainly look to put that familiarly awful taste behind them. They take their anger out on the Texans. And while we're pumped and excited going into this year (aren't we every year?), the truth is we aren't going catch anyone off guard anymore. The Colts certainly won't, especially given how last year's opener went. Our record from last year says we were 6-10, but everyone in the NFL knows we aren't a 6-10 team. We get reminded week one that a winning record still needs to be earned on the field and not on paper. We lose by as little as a single point or by as many as twenty.

@Dolphins - W
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2448/lolphins1.jpg

@Saints - W
This is our real statement game, and we make it count. We go into New Orleans to face the awesome 2-0 Saints and walk out winners...decisively. I honestly have no real basis for my prediction here, other than just a bold prediction. But I feel way more comfortable about this game than most.

Steelers - L
And in typical Texans fashion, we follow an epic win with an epic fail. :toropalm:

Raiders - W
Al Davis and the Raiders continue trucking on with the NFL version of the film Major League.

@Ravens - L
This game could go either way in all honesty. By this time, the Texans defense should be starting to gel as they reach mid-season form. I'm only giving it to the Ravens as it's clearly the safer bet, but will be a nail biter with the potential for another overtime meeting between the two.

@Titans - W
All the Metamucil in the world can't help Hasselbeck as he puts up his worst performance as a Titan. Hasselbeck is bench indefinitely following the game.

Jags - W
:kingkong:

Browns - W
A very close win. The Browns aren't going to scare anyone, but we'd be foolish to automatically think this will be easy. We win a very close one.

@Bucs - L
The Bucs are one of the youngest teams in the NFL, and they have already shown a lot of promise last year. They'll be no better or no worse this year. We head into the bye week 6-4

***Bye Week***
Someone writes "Cortland Finnegan" on a punching bag in the Texans locker room. Andre Johnson enters. There are no survivors.

@Jags - W
We take care of business. 7-4.

Falcons - W
Another statement game in the second half of the season we near the final stretch. 8-4

@Bengals - W
Texans stomp 'em out in front of a rambunctious Bengal crowd of nearly 7,000 fans. Texans now 9-4

Panthers - W
Another stomp 'em out performance. Texans 10-4, setting up for first place in the division next week in Indy.

@Colts -
The big one. Week 1 is in our minds as well as our current hot streak. It's been just over a month since we've last lost a game and the Texans look poised to finally win the division. While I'd like for the Texans to take this one and really want to get behind them, I realistically can't. Indy at home just seems like too much...

L. :kubepalm:

Titans - W
Titans have been riding Jake Locker following our first meeting and they're doing just a smidgen better at this point. We still easily handle them and finish the season on a high note. We wait and hope things fall our way for a wild card spot.

Final record: 11-5. :texflag:

you have us beating the saints and bucs, but not the falcons?

XI CMURDER IX
08-06-2011, 03:58 PM
I say we go 11-5 barring any major injuries to the team. (knock on wood)

Colts - Win
@Dolphins - Win
@Saints - Win
Steelers - Loss
Raiders - Win
@Ravens - Loss
@Tits - Win
Jags - Win
Browns - Win
@Bucks - Loss
Bye Week
@Jags - Win
Falcons - Loss
@Bengals - W
Panthers - W
@Colts - Loss
Tits - W

EDIT: I just noticed we play the Jags after a bye week, that should be a W.

BetaV1
08-06-2011, 04:46 PM
you have us beating the saints and bucs, but not the falcons?

You mean I have them beating the Saints and Falcons, but not the Bucs.

I hear a lot of talk about how Tampa and their schedule. Let me state the obvious: you play who you're schedule to play against and that's all there is to it. If you're going up against teams you're suppose to beat, then you beat them. The Bucs won the vast majority of games they were suppose to win. End of story.

So let's look at the teams they did play with winning records from last year:
Steelers: Loss 13-38.
Saints: Loss 6-31
Falcons: Loss 21-27
Ravens: Loss 10-17
Falcons: Loss 24-28
Saints: Win 23-13

They were smashed by the Steelers and the Saints. They did, however, redeem themselves by beating the Saints in the second meeting. Their other three losses were down to a single possession, taking last year's number one seed in the NFC to the limit twice.

I don't see how it's a stretch to think that maybe, just maybe, Tampa might be for real.

thunderkyss
08-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Colts - W
@Dolphins - W
@Saints - W
Steelers - L
Raiders - W
@Ravens - L
@Tits - L
Jags - W
Browns - W
@Bucks - W
Bye Week
@Jags - W
Falcons - L
@Bengals - W
Panthers - W
@Colts - L
Tits - W

11-5, Win the AFC South

You know, with all the talk about being a soft team.. & everyone floating their opinion of what it means to be soft, & what how we are not a soft team.

These predictions, as well as our W-L last year tells me how soft we really are. Tough teams don't lose two or more games often. If they lose two games, they'll find a way to win that third one.

Soft teams will find a way to lose 4 games in a row, twice in the same season.

Tough teams will find a way to win statement games. Not superbowl, or play-off games. But if a loss takes you out of the hunt... that's a statement game. If some A-hole owner wants to rub his pet QB in your face... you've never beaten that guy in your house... that's a statement game. If it's your first night ever on MNF.... at home... tough teams will find a way to win that game.

Soft teams will find a way to lose when a loud-mouth P.O.S. first time ever franchised player of your organization is on the other team. Especially at home. If these guys want to make a statement... they'll win the Atlanta game at home.

thunderkyss
08-06-2011, 05:06 PM
P.S.

If Cincinnati can sweep their division two years ago, we can sweep our division in 2011.

thunderkyss
08-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Colts - W
@Dolphins - W
@Saints - L
Steelers - W
Raiders - W
@Ravens - L
@Tits - W
Jags - W
Browns - W
@Bucks - W
Bye Week
@Jags - W
Falcons - W
@Bengals - W
Panthers - L
@Colts - W
Tits - W

13-3 & we host the AFC Championship game.

Doppelganger
08-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Colts - W
@Dolphins - W
@Saints - L
Steelers - L
Raiders - W
@Ravens - L
@Titans - W
Jaguarss -W
Browns - W
@Bucaneers - L

Bye Week

@Jaguarss - W
Falcons - L
@Bengals - W
Panthers - W
@Colts - L
Titanss - W

10-6

Perki-Perk
08-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Can I make another one of these at the end of preseason??

Perki-Perk
08-30-2011, 04:34 PM
Now that preseason is coming to a close and the starters will not see much action against the Vikings, how about now? We made it through preseason with no major losses so let's speculate, How many wins do you think we'll get now???

Edit: My bad, guess I should have added my own speculation since I asked.

11-5, Divison title and as far as the AFC championship game and possibly a SB berth. Shh, don't tell the rest of the NFL though.

bigbrewster2000
08-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Now that preseason is coming to a close and the starters will not see much action against the Vikings, how about now? We made it through preseason with no major losses so let's speculate, How many wins do you think we'll get now???

BOLD PREDICTION ALERT!!!!

between zero and sixteen wins is my best guess

thunderkyss
08-30-2011, 04:37 PM

I'm having a hard time figuring it out.

Right now, I've got us going 7-1 through the first 8 games. I can't see a loss after that, but that seems a little unrealistic...

Perki-Perk
08-30-2011, 04:39 PM
I'm having a hard time figuring it out.

Right now, I've got us going 7-1 through the first 8 games. I can't see a loss after that, but that seems a little unrealistic...

I like your style! 15-1 it is heading into the playoffs. Thuderkyss says so!!

Perki-Perk
08-30-2011, 04:40 PM
BOLD PREDICTION ALERT!!!!

between zero and sixteen wins is my best guess

Bold, Brewster, very Bold.

Dutchrudder
08-30-2011, 04:47 PM
10-6 after a 4-2 start. Win the division and have the Texans first playoff game at home. I'll be happy with that.

The Pencil Neck
08-30-2011, 05:12 PM
I'll go 10-6 and feel better about it than I did before camp.

Shaft75
08-30-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm looking at an 12-4 team right now. The KOOLAID is flowing!!! :koolaid:

WEEK 01 Indianapolis Colts WIN

WEEK 02 @ Miami Dolphins WIN

WEEK 03 @ New Orleans Saints WIN

WEEK 04 Pittsburgh Steelers LOSS

WEEK 05 Oakland Raiders WIN

WEEK 06 @ Baltimore Ravens LOSS

WEEK 07 @ Tennessee Titans WIN

WEEK 08 Jacksonville Jaguars WIN

WEEK 09 Cleveland Browns WIN

WEEK 10 @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers WIN

WEEK 11 Bye

WEEK 12 @ Jacksonville Jaguars LOSS

WEEK 13 Atlanta Falcons WIN

WEEK 14 @ Cincinnati Bengals WIN

WEEK 15 Carolina Panthers WIN

WEEK 16 @ Indianapolis Colts LOSS

WEEK 17 Tennessee Titans WIN

ObsiWan
08-30-2011, 06:05 PM
I'm going 10 wins
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJ49R7LLU6jBJ5kL96CGaE3sZAX_xOI cXkODp5AMd8YD29ZE-t9A4ReqA (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/LostSaint/Texans/BattleRedKoolaid.jpg&imgrefurl=http://boards.houstontexans.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D12723&usg=__bc-om1vwfDlbWunz4Ep4VAZuI1k=&h=474&w=500&sz=44&hl=en&start=91&zoom=1&tbnid=3WnVXM_eWXOfmM:&tbnh=123&tbnw=130&ei=R2ldTrHYI4bpqgGVodWaBA&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dkool%2Baid%2Bman%26start%3D84%26hl%3D en%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1I7GPEA_en%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1)
.... +/- 1.
(we engineers always include a tolerance becasue we know that's the way the world really works)

Brisco_County
08-30-2011, 06:12 PM
16 and Oh.

I'm serious.

TexanSam
08-30-2011, 06:19 PM
I predict 10-6. If we're 3-3 or better after our first 6 games then I think we'll be in pretty good shape.

Indianapolis Colts W
@ Miami Dolphins W
@ New Orleans Saints L
Pittsburgh Steelers L
Oakland Raiders W
@ Baltimore Ravens L
@ Tennessee Titans W
Jacksonville Jaguars W
Cleveland Browns W
@ Tampa Bay Buccaneers W
@ Jacksonville Jaguars L
Atlanta Falcons L
@ Cincinnati Bengals W
Carolina Panthers W
@ Indianapolis Colts L
Tennessee Titans W

Rey
08-30-2011, 10:40 PM
If we don't beat any of the upper echelon teams on our schedule (or the colts at their house) I will not be thrilled with the season.

Jmo.

DX-TEX
08-31-2011, 02:41 AM
I think we lose to the Saints and come back with a vengance to beat the complete **** out of Pittsburgh.

14-2

Losses being to the Saints and Jags. Oh and we will still get no respect from ESPN or NFLN.

Corrosion
08-31-2011, 03:15 AM
I think we lose to the Saints and come back with a vengance to beat the complete **** out of Pittsburgh.

14-2

Losses being to the Saints and Jags. Oh and we will still get no respect from ESPN or NFLN.

Bleh I was gonna say 14-2 .... guess I'll have to one up you and go with 15-1 .... the only loss being in week 6 at Baltimore .... With the Texans winning a rematch in the AFC Championship game .... Yes , I said it , Texans in the Superbowl.

:trophy:

hradhak
08-31-2011, 06:35 AM
we need to beat some of the better teams on our schedule just to show that we are legit. the aints are beatable. we can beat the ravens, we almost did last year. @indy is a big game and could lockup the advanced south for us.

I'm going 11-5. we should sweep the add south

thunderkyss
08-31-2011, 07:09 AM

14-2

A little off subject.

But this may be another reason we are considered soft. What you are describing never happens for the Texans. Last year we had two 4 game losing streaks.

Two four game losing streaks. It doesn't get much softer than that.

HJam72
08-31-2011, 07:19 AM
10-6

Maybe 11-5

drunkcookie
08-31-2011, 08:21 AM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

drunkcookie
08-31-2011, 08:27 AM
Predicting what the Texans' regular season record will be in 2011 is both hard and simple...

Simple because I think it will be anywhere from 7-9 to 11-5... Hard because I can't pick which one ;)

Before preseason, knowing we hired a good DC with a good resume, I had a 9-7 feel, 8-8 maybe but 9-7 felt right...

After watching the preseason, and seeing what this defense can be, I've bumped up to 10-6, with "not-shocked" options on 7-9/11-5...

IDEXAN
08-31-2011, 08:35 AM
Don't mean to rain on anyones parade, but in 2008 the 0-16 Detroit Lions were 4-0 in preseason.
I'm just gonna wait awhile into the regular season before i form any conclusion for a regualr season record.

Perki-Perk
08-31-2011, 08:40 AM
Don't mean to rain on anyones parade, but in 2008 the 0-16 Detroit Lions were 4-0 in preseason.
I'm just gonna wait awhile into the regular season before i form any conclusion for a regualr season record.

Oh, come on Debbie Downer!! Let us ride the hype train! There's a HUGE, GIANORMOUS difference in talent between the 08 Lions and the 11 Texans.

Come on ride that train, now ride it!! Choo Choo! (was that 69 boyz?)

Edit: NVM, Quad City DJ's. They say their name in the first line of the "song" if any of you remember it.

thunderkyss
08-31-2011, 09:25 AM

Yeah, that's the ticket.... Lets wait until Jan 2nd to give a prediction.

Perki-Perk
08-31-2011, 10:09 AM

It wouldn't be a prediction then Thordonis. It would be more of an actuality. I guess if you are a realist though, you don't watch the weather forecast.

thunderkyss
08-31-2011, 11:40 AM

It wouldn't be a prediction then Thordonis. It would be more of an actuality. I guess if you are a realist though, you don't watch the weather forecast.

You honestly didn't see the sarcasm in my post?

Really??

Doppelganger
08-31-2011, 11:43 AM
Colts - W
@Dolphins - W
@Saints - L
Steelers - L
Raiders - W
@Ravens - L
@Titans - W
Jaguarss -W
Browns - W
@Bucaneers - L

Bye Week

@Jaguarss - W
Falcons - L
@Bengals - W
Panthers - W
@Colts - L
Titanss - W

10-6

I stand by my 10-6

Perki-Perk
08-31-2011, 11:46 AM
You honestly didn't see the sarcasm in my post?

Really??

I was also adding to the sarcasm. That's why I called you Thordonis. (I don't know, God of thuder and you add the kiss and well for some reason it brings adonis to mind becase that's my DNA type...Thordonis, it works) lol

drs23
08-31-2011, 01:02 PM
12-4 taking the AFC SOUTH for the first time and beating Peyton on his own grass. I sincerely think we beat the big boys, i.e.; Saints, Ravens, Colts and the one I want the worst: the Steelers. I have a sick feeling there'll be a trap game or two. The Kittys maybe and perhaps the Tits, in there that will leave me scratching my head and my...

I'm BBQing at my house for that game hosting several Steeler fans with a couple of Cowpie people. (Can't help that, the Cowpie fans are living with me till their house is finished. Family, ya know?) and I wanna be hoarse from yelling my team to victory all the while being a gracious host serving my award winning spare ribs with all the trimmings accompanied by the frostiest of brews.

Deal is: losers have to clean up. Since I'm cooking I'm prolly gonna go outta my way to make a super mess! C'mon team, don't let me down! I know you won't. :gotexans1

Ole Miss Texan
09-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Seeing how our first game is Sunday I just wanted to bump this thread so more people can play "guess our record".

thunderkyss
09-09-2011, 11:42 AM
We'll be the last undefeated team in the league by week 7

ObsiWan
09-09-2011, 12:35 PM
I was also adding to the sarcasm. That's why I called you Thordonis. (I don't know, God of thuder and you add the kiss and well for some reason it brings adonis to mind becase that's my DNA type...Thordonis, it works) lol

I saw what you did

mussop
09-09-2011, 01:00 PM
16 & 0 if not fire kubiak and bring in the Chin!

Texanmike02
09-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Mike

Porky
09-09-2011, 01:06 PM
16 & 0 if not fire kubiak and bring in the Chin!

I'm going with 11-5. High end 12-4, lower end 10-6. Given the WIDE opening this year, and barring major injuries to key performers, if they don't win 10 and/or win the division, Kubes should be run out of town on a rail.

Trap_Star
09-09-2011, 01:11 PM
8-8

SteveSlaton20
09-09-2011, 01:30 PM
9-11 wins

pathetic if we don't go at least 4-2 in division play

Grams
09-09-2011, 02:08 PM
+10 at least

b0ng
09-09-2011, 02:19 PM
10-6. Feeling dumb.

Big Lou
09-09-2011, 02:35 PM
I see 10.5 wins.

Hedging my bet.

disaacks3
09-09-2011, 02:35 PM
10-6 - We were 3 plays from 9-7 last year, I pray we've improved by more than those plays.

Colts - W
@Dolphins - W
@Saints - L
Steelers - L
Raiders - W
@Ravens - L
@Tits - W
Jags - W
Browns - W
@Bucks - W
Bye Week
@Jags - L
Falcons - L
@Bengals - W
Panthers - W
@Colts - L
Tits - W With the forehead likely out for the year, and the Jags dumping Garrard, I think we'll add W's to the Colts and Jags road games. 12-4 Baby!

Thorn
09-09-2011, 02:51 PM
With the forehead likely out for the year, and the Jags dumping Garrard, I think we'll add W's to the Colts and Jags road games. 12-4 Baby!

The state the AFC south is in this year, the Texans could very well win the division with a 9-7 record. Seriously.

Indy is going down this year, Jags and Titans won't make any noise either. If there ever was a year in which the Texans get the division handed to them on a silver platter, it's this year. They had better damn well take advantage of that and get to the playoffs.

CharloTex
09-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Texans = 11-5
Indy = 8-8
Tenn = 6-10
Jacksonville = 4-12

Joeycharp89
09-09-2011, 03:49 PM
10, but honestly we shouldn't even lose a single game in our division, except maybe to our second vs the Colts. You just don't see as much raw talent on the other teams to warrant us losing.

JCTexan
09-09-2011, 05:17 PM
I will say 11. They should be able to win five games inside the division & six outside of it this year. The Saints, Steelers, Ravens & Falcons are the only tough opponents on the schedule. The possibility of losing three of those and another two they should win against either Tampa Bay, Cleveland, Miami & Oakland is the only reason it's not higher.

Kimmy
09-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Some of you have been right 3 games in. Looking at the rest of the schedule, plus seeing our opponents 3 games in, do you have any revisions?

Colts - W
@Dolphins - W
@Saints - L
Steelers - 2-1
Raiders - 2-1
@Ravens - 2-1
@Titans - 2-1
Jags - 1-2
Browns - 2-1
@Bucks - 2-1
@Jags - 1-2
Falcons - 1-2
@Bengals - 1-2
Panthers - 1-2
@Colts - 0-3
Titans - 2-1

Here's a linky (http://www.nfl.com/standings) with stats/points/etc

JWarren14
09-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Colts - W
@Dolphins - W
@Saints - L
Steelers - 2-1
Raiders - 2-1
@Ravens - 2-1
@Titans - 2-1
Jags - 1-2
Browns - 2-1
@Bucks - 2-1
@Jags - 1-2
Falcons - 1-2
@Bengals - 1-2
Panthers - 1-2
@Colts - 0-3
Titans - 2-1

I don't see any reason why we should be worse than 10-6.

thunderkyss
09-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Some of you have been right 3 games in. Looking at the rest of the schedule, plus seeing our opponents 3 games in, do you have any revisions?

Colts - W
@Dolphins - W
@Saints - L
Steelers - 2-1
Raiders - 2-1
@Ravens - 2-1
@Titans - 2-1
Jags - 1-2
Browns - 2-1
@Bucks - 2-1
@Jags - 1-2
Falcons - 1-2
@Bengals - 1-2
Panthers - 1-2
@Colts - 0-3
Titans - 2-1

Here's a linky (http://www.nfl.com/standings) with stats/points/etc

I think we're going to roll through to the Titans, lose that one @ Tennessee. Then we'll cruise through the rest of the season, end up 14-2 with a bye week for the play-offs.

I may have to sell a few things to buy my tickets for the divisional play-offs & the AFC Championship game... but I'll be okay (don't worry about me guys)...

Then we're going to face Detroit in the Super Bowl in Indianapolis.

It'll be like a home game for Detroit (so close & all) but we're going to dominate from start to finish. Andre is going to hoist the trophy saying, "I was wrong, I am the best."

VTexan
09-26-2011, 06:25 PM
I think we're going to roll through to the Titans, lose that one @ Tennessee. Then we'll cruise through the rest of the season, end up 14-2 with a bye week for the play-offs.

I may have to sell a few things to buy my tickets for the divisional play-offs & the AFC Championship game... but I'll be okay (don't worry about me guys)...

Then we're going to face Detroit in the Super Bowl in Indianapolis.

It'll be like a home game for Detroit (so close & all) but we're going to dominate from start to finish. Andre is going to hoist the trophy saying, "I was wrong, I am the best."

http://i.imgur.com/E1ObE.jpg

badboy
09-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Saints and Falcons are ? to me. We can beat them and Ravens. In my mind (that's a scary place) Steelers should be our only loss. I am not going to predict anything yet, but if our roster performs in the O, D and ST as they are expected, the NFL better watch out. ESPN may have to talk about us more than they want to.

ESPN: "Okay, Texans went 15-1 & won the Super Bowl, but how about Philly? And then there are the Cowboys and is Favre going to play again."STill have us 15-1 but now beating Steelers.

srrono
09-26-2011, 06:46 PM
i still say 10-6

Hookem Horns
09-26-2011, 06:46 PM
7 or 8 until Kubiak proves he can do something different. Texans have beaten 2 teams that are a combined 0-6.

thunderkyss
09-26-2011, 06:54 PM
7 or 8 until Kubiak proves he can do something different. Texans have beaten 2 teams that are a combined 0-6.

So...

shouldn't the record somehow add up to 16?

I mean we are going to play 16 games this year, lock-out & all.

:cow:

hot pickle
09-26-2011, 07:48 PM
im gonna say 7-9 wins this season... this team still needs alot of work!

Joe Texan
09-26-2011, 07:50 PM
15 now

Perki-Perk
01-19-2012, 02:29 PM
im gonna say 7-9 wins this season... this team still needs alot of work!

LOL, come on Hot Pickle!!!

Kind of fun to go back and read through some of the predictions. Considering the injuries we had, I think we would have pulled off at least 2 more wins. Definitely excited about next years possibilities if we lock up our FA's and get some help a WR and special teams

thunderkyss
01-19-2012, 05:37 PM
LOL, come on Hot Pickle!!!

Kind of fun to go back and read through some of the predictions. Considering the injuries we had, I think we would have pulled off at least 2 more wins. Definitely excited about next years possibilities if we lock up our FA's and get some help a WR and special teams

In all honesty, this season could have gone either way depending on when the prediction was made. It wasn't until week 1 that I was convinced Peyton wasn't going to play.

That changed everything right there. Not having to keep pace with a healthy Peyton Manning took all kinds of pressure off of Kubiak, which probably took pressure off the team.

Jacksonville, Garrard, McCown, Gabbart...... that couldn't have played out better for us.

Tennessee, Cj & the holdout (the lack of production hold out, not the offseason holdout)... again, we were the best team in the AFC South, before Kubiak even woke up.

Our competition laid down for 2011...... next year, the pressure isn't going to come from competing against our division rivals, the most pressure is going to come from us competing against expecations... our own, & the media's.

We'll learn a lot about our team.

JCTexan
01-19-2012, 06:05 PM
In all honesty, this season could have gone either way depending on when the prediction was made. It wasn't until week 1 that I was convinced Peyton wasn't going to play.

That changed everything right there. Not having to keep pace with a healthy Peyton Manning took all kinds of pressure off of Kubiak, which probably took pressure off the team.

Jacksonville, Garrard, McCown, Gabbart...... that couldn't have played out better for us.

Tennessee, Cj & the holdout (the lack of production hold out, not the offseason holdout)... again, we were the best team in the AFC South, before Kubiak even woke up.

Our competition laid down for 2011...... next year, the pressure isn't going to come from competing against our division rivals, the most pressure is going to come from us competing against expecations... our own, & the media's.

We'll learn a lot about our team.

That was the difference from 2010 and 2011. The defense stepped their game up and it made the offense not have to keep pace and score thirty points to win a game. In 2010 the Houston Texans defense gave up thirty points eight times, in 2011 they only allowed thirty once. The defense gave up 149 fewer points last year than it did in 2010.

thunderkyss
01-19-2012, 06:11 PM
That was the difference from 2010 and 2011. The defense stepped their game up and it made the offense not have to keep pace and score thirty points to win a game. In 2010 the Houston Texans defense gave up thirty points eight times, in 2011 they only allowed thirty once. The defense gave up 149 fewer points last year than it did in 2010.

You're right, in that our offense was reacting to, rather than dictating to, the other team. Instead of setting the pace, they couldn't keep up....

top ten my ass.