PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Mays, 49ers, on the block

Errant Hothy
08-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Adam Schefter
49ers sent out a mass email this afternoon to teams around the league to try and trade safety Taylor Mays.

Another in the long line of players that the Texans must trade up to get, according to some on this board.

srrono
08-04-2011, 03:35 PM
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
49ers sent out a mass email this afternoon to teams around the league to try and trade safety Taylor Mays.
2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet

srrono
08-04-2011, 03:36 PM
lol we both posted at same time

The1ApplePie
08-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Another in the long line of players that the Texans must trade up to get, according to some on this board.

I am a USC fan and I didn't call for that.

Taylor is a freak and a hitter, he just can't cover with a damn.

If I needed a special teams goon, he would be the first guy I called.

Not so much for a ballhawk safety

texasguy346
08-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Damn you guys are quick. I was about to post this myself. Went ahead and merged the two threads together.

Rey
08-04-2011, 03:42 PM
I would trade a 6th, maybe a 5th for him.

But I'm a fan of the guy. Back up safety and special teams guy.

Dutchrudder
08-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Bernard Pollard 2.0!

Rey
08-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Bernard Pollard 2.0!

Except more athletic.

Blake
08-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Can we put him at linebacker?

srrono
08-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Mays played mainly specials teams last season, but did start six games after coach Mike Singletary benched then-starter Michael Lewis. Mays recorded 38 tackles, two pass defenses and scored one touchdown by catching a blocked punt.

His contract isnít too intimidating. Heís due just over $400,000 this season, $490,000 in 2012 and $575,000 in 2013 which is the last year of his contract.

Where Mays struggles is in pass coverage. He plays physical, at 6'3" and 230 pounds, he is a force in the backfield.

i pulled this from a story

Dutchrudder
08-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Except more athletic.

Well yeah, that's why he's not 1.1, he's an upgrade. Don't you know your application versions?

I kind of hope the Ravens pick up Mays though. Pollard and Mays together at safety would be terrible in coverage but would be hella-fun to watch. They might even kill a small WR if they both hit him at the same time. Maybe Ted Ginn Jr, he's expendable.

Playoffs
08-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Former Bills S Donte Whitner did NOT go to Cincinnati. He agreed to a 3-year, $11.75 million deal with $4 million gtd with the 49ERS.

srrono
08-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Former Bills S Donte Whitner did NOT go to Cincinnati. He agreed to a 3-year, $11.75 million deal with $4 million gtd with the 49ERS.

writing on the wall either they have a trade in place or they will cut him. If they cut Texans should jump get him on the cheap.

GP
08-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Bernard Pollard 2.0!

Exactly.

We've been down that road before. No thanks. Works for a little bit, then teams scheme against it and expose it for its inherent weaknesses.

Pollard is a short-yardage guy. When the offense is on its own end of the field, facing a 3rd and short...you put a SS like Pollard in there to police the area.

If that offense is moving down the field, and getting into scoring range, a SS like Pollard is dead meat most of the time. Always looking for the big hit, getting caught looking in the wrong places, and too slow to recover and make up for lost ground.

srrono
08-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Exactly.

We've been down that road before. No thanks. Works for a little bit, then teams scheme against it and expose it for its inherent weaknesses.

Pollard is a short-yardage guy. When the offense is on its own end of the field, facing a 3rd and short...you put a SS like Pollard in there to police the area.

If that offense is moving down the field, and getting into scoring range, a SS like Pollard is dead meat most of the time. Always looking for the big hit, getting caught looking in the wrong places, and too slow to recover and make up for lost ground.

Mays is in 2nd year big hitter say he is very fast too maybe change of scene is what he needs if he is on the cheap we could develope him and use him on special teams. He would be a BEAST as a gunner.

DexmanC
08-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Mays is in 2nd year big hitter say he is very fast too maybe change of scene is what he needs if he is on the cheap we could develope him and use him on special teams. He would be a BEAST as a gunner.

Antwaun Molden was a great gunner 'till the Titans blew up his ankle.
Andre Davis is gone, so the Texans are gunnerless.

Seems like a good option to me, but I expect the Texans to pass.

GP
08-04-2011, 05:49 PM

I just don't know how we could find the money to do it.

I mean, we just had three guys re-structure JUST to get us under the cap.

I think we're done, unless some guys get injured and we sign guys in place of them. Or we cut guys and sign replacements.

srrono
08-04-2011, 05:51 PM
I just don't know how we could find the money to do it.

I mean, we just had three guys re-structure JUST to get us under the cap.

I think we're done, unless some guys get injured and we sign guys in place of them. Or we cut guys and sign replacements.

Heís due just over $400,000 this season, $490,000 in 2012 and $575,000 in 2013 which is the last year of his contract.

Dutchrudder
08-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Heís due just over $400,000 this season, $490,000 in 2012 and $575,000 in 2013 which is the last year of his contract.

That's cheap, and we don't really have a strong safety any more. He may be a good pick up for a 5th or less. Can we trade Slaton for him? That would be stupendous!

Rey
08-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Well yeah, that's why he's not 1.1, he's an upgrade. Don't you know your application versions?

I kind of hope the Ravens pick up Mays though. Pollard and Mays together at safety would be terrible in coverage but would be hella-fun to watch. They might even kill a small WR if they both hit him at the same time. Maybe Ted Ginn Jr, he's expendable.

Didn't catch that :lion:

But I'd bring him in for special teams a lone. If he was able to play in any defensive sets that'd be a bonus.

Rey
08-04-2011, 06:03 PM
That's cheap, and we don't really have a strong safety any more. He may be a good pick up for a 5th or less. Can we trade Slaton for him? That would be stupendous!

That's a good idea.

Dutchrudder
08-04-2011, 06:06 PM
That's a good idea.

They need a runningback, right? Gore is holding out, Coffee quit on them, and they only have a broke down Brian Westbrook and a 6th round rookie behind Gore. Could work out, maybe Slaton and a 7th would work.

b0ng
08-04-2011, 08:10 PM
I was under the impression that Wade hated safeties who hit hard but can't cover worth a flip?

dc_txtech
08-04-2011, 09:09 PM
I was under the impression that Wade hated safeties who hit hard but can't cover worth a flip?

He got rid of Roy Williams in Dallas.

TimeKiller
08-04-2011, 11:15 PM
OLB depth?

Rey
08-04-2011, 11:59 PM
OLB depth?

I don't know why more d coordinators aren't more creative with players like that. They probably can't be full time starters against every team, but against certain match ups and in a third down role they could be playmakers.

Don't ask them to run with guys, short zones, blitzes, picking up rb's on routes, spies. I think it's good to have different types of players so that you can do different types of things.

Playoffs
08-05-2011, 12:16 AM
Let's see...

His college coach wouldn't touch him and now his current coach who coached against him in the same conference is about to cut him. I'll pass.

The Pencil Neck
08-05-2011, 12:17 AM
I don't know why more d coordinators aren't more creative with players like that. They probably can't be full time starters against every team, but against certain match ups and in a third down role they could be playmakers.

Don't ask them to run with guys, short zones, blitzes, picking up rb's on routes, spies. I think it's good to have different types of players so that you can do different types of things.

The problem with guys like that is you put them into coverage, even into a short zone, and they bite on things and get themselves out of position. They also have a tendency to go for the big hit and don't always wrap up when they tackle. Sometimes that's good but generally, it's bad.

Rey
08-05-2011, 12:54 AM
The problem with guys like that is you put them into coverage, even into a short zone, and they bite on things and get themselves out of position. They also have a tendency to go for the big hit and don't always wrap up when they tackle. Sometimes that's good but generally, it's bad.

There are problems with just about every "type" of player. Good coaches find a way to put guys like that in a position to succeed and they coach them up on how to best harness their skill set.

Whether or not Taylor is a hard worker or is coachable is a different story though. But form tackling and staying at home is something that just takes discipline.

beerlover
08-05-2011, 01:14 AM
Taylor Mays is a playmaker. Ask Cushing if Mays could stand up & rush the QB?

Texecutioner
08-05-2011, 01:21 AM
We're not about to go after Mays. I can't remember where he was drafted, but if he was somewhat high no will want his high rookie contract. I thought he went into the early 2nd round though if I"m not mistaken. He seems like another Roy Williams though and we just had that in Bernard Pollard. No thanks.

The Pencil Neck
08-05-2011, 02:42 AM
There are problems with just about every "type" of player. Good coaches find a way to put guys like that in a position to succeed and they coach them up on how to best harness their skill set.

Whether or not Taylor is a hard worker or is coachable is a different story though. But form tackling and staying at home is something that just takes discipline.

But he's not the kind of player that Wade wants as a safety.

It's like Kubes and his system, he has things he wants out of certain positions and he goes and gets those guys. If worse comes to worse, he'll take a guy like Mays and he'll find a way to make it work with him if he has to but if he has his druthers, he'll choose his type of player.

Rey
08-05-2011, 03:10 AM
But he's not the kind of player that Wade wants as a safety.

It's like Kubes and his system, he has things he wants out of certain positions and he goes and gets those guys. If worse comes to worse, he'll take a guy like Mays and he'll find a way to make it work with him if he has to but if he has his druthers, he'll choose his type of player.

Never said that I think wade would get him.

I was just stating my opinion on him and how a lot of defensive coordinators fail to utilize players in a way that best uses their skill set. Of course that's just my opinion.

I would trade slaton for him straight up. I would use him in certain packages, but he'd be on just about every special team.

Again, not saying what I think the texans will do, just throwing my opinion out there on the subject and saying what I would do.

Rey
08-05-2011, 03:12 AM
We're not about to go after Mays. I can't remember where he was drafted, but if he was somewhat high no will want his high rookie contract. I thought he went into the early 2nd round though if I"m not mistaken. He seems like another Roy Williams though and we just had that in Bernard Pollard. No thanks.

He's more athletic than both Roy Williams and pollard.

And per a post earlier in this thread his contract is not expensive. He's not even making 1 mil.

Wolf6151
08-05-2011, 03:18 AM
I'd offer up a 7th round pick next year, or Steve Slaton straight up, or a 6th round pick if San Fran. agrees to pick up the guaranteed portion of his contract if we cut him. I'd move him to OLB where his Pollardesque skills would be better served. Also lots of players flourish after a trade from their initial team, it's a ***** slap wake up call for them that they had better get their act together or the NFL gravy train will soon come to an end. Maybe some new coaches, new system, new city, new teammates, etc. would be good for him. He would not be a Safety in Wades system though. At worst he's a special teams gunner for a year and maybe he turns into a good OLB.

I agree with Rey, many coaches don't seem to want to move a player to a new position to play to the players strengths. I think to many coaches get it in their head that they drafted a certain position and if the player doesn't work out there then they just don't have time to teach the player a new position.

beerlover
08-05-2011, 03:49 AM
He could start out on special teams as the "gunner" maybe put his image back on ESPN. Then work himself into Wade Phillips blitz packages, adding
Athletic speed to rushing attack they still lack. The thing he would need to convince Wade is his passion to play football & be a positive teammate.

TimeKiller
08-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Unless his frame just can't hold it I bet he can get to 240. I really, really, really would think he'd be a similar pick to Von Miller. Just lightning off the edge. Situational guy, you wouldn't ask him to cover. You'd ask him to use his athleticism to harrass the QB/OL for a play or two a game. That would be a shitload more than what Slaton does.

The Pencil Neck
08-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Never said that I think wade would get him.

I was just stating my opinion on him and how a lot of defensive coordinators fail to utilize players in a way that best uses their skill set. Of course that's just my opinion.

I would trade slaton for him straight up. I would use him in certain packages, but he'd be on just about every special team.

Again, not saying what I think the texans will do, just throwing my opinion out there on the subject and saying what I would do.

Ah, OK. I misunderstood what you were saying.

Ole Miss Texan
08-05-2011, 10:21 AM
I'd love to have Marciano look at him as a special teams ace - not just punt/kick coverage by punt/FG blocking!! Or Wade look at him for certain pass rushing scenarios.

If we don't get him, I'm not going to lose a second of sleep. But I am interested. Just not as a safety.

The Pencil Neck
08-05-2011, 10:24 AM
I'd love to have Marciano look at him as a special teams ace - not just punt/kick coverage by punt/FG blocking!! Or Wade look at him for certain pass rushing scenarios.

If we don't get him, I'm not going to lose a second of sleep. But I am interested. Just not as a safety.

I'm fine with that as long as we don't have to pick up his rookie contract to do it. The guy was a second rounder. A lot of mocks had him going in the first although most people knew he was going to have this tweener/box safety matchup problem.

For that matter, what about Darnell Bing from last year? He was that sort of athletic safety turned into a LB who could have played ST. I thought he looked good rushing from the edge last year. Have we signed him back?

Ole Miss Texan
08-05-2011, 10:33 AM
I'm fine with that as long as we don't have to pick up his rookie contract to do it. The guy was a second rounder. A lot of mocks had him going in the first although most people knew he was going to have this tweener/box safety matchup problem.

For that matter, what about Darnell Bing from last year? He was that sort of athletic safety turned into a LB who could have played ST. I thought he looked good rushing from the edge last year. Have we signed him back?
Yea, the year before people were talking about him being a top 10 pick but he got really exposed is last season at SC. I think he ended up being a mid-2nd rounder. His contract really isn't all that bad:
7/30/2010: Signed a four-year, $3.91 million contract. The deal included a $2.075 million signing bonus. 2011: $405,000, 2012: $490,000, 2013: $575,000, 2014: Free Agent
Half was paid up front by the 49'ers and his salary for the next 3 seasons is much more reasonable than I would have imagined.

I forgot all about Bing. I was really excited we picked him up because I thought he had a lot of potential. Low risk high reward type of signing. He's off the team now though.

The Pencil Neck
08-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Yea, the year before people were talking about him being a top 10 pick but he got really exposed is last season at SC. I think he ended up being a mid-2nd rounder. His contract really isn't all that bad:

Half was paid up front by the 49'ers and his salary for the next 3 seasons is much more reasonable than I would have imagined.

I forgot all about Bing. I was really excited we picked him up because I thought he had a lot of potential. Low risk high reward type of signing. He's off the team now though.

If it's a reasonable contract, I'm all for bringing the guy in. As long as he wants to play and doesn't mind being on ST.

Rey
08-05-2011, 10:37 AM
I'd call him a joker. Hed have his own position. I wouldn't ask him to gain or lose weight. He'd be a safety/lb hybrid.

Blitzing a lot, dropping into zone some. Running with certain rb's.

I think in passing situations he could have a significant impact. And against mobile qb's he'd do a good job mirroring the qb as a spy. I'd move him around all over the field, way off the line, on the line, left, right, middle. Qb's and o line wouldnt know what he'd be doing or where he'd end up.

He's the type of athlete that has the physical ability to do it all on defense.

But yeah, I'd be ok with trying to coach him up and have him play a specific role in the defense. Simplify things for him and allow him to use his athleticism and physicality to disrupt offenses. But that's just my mad scientist football brain talking. I'd do the thinking for him until he "got it" if he ever did.

Rey
08-05-2011, 10:39 AM

If I'm not mistaken he's making about 500,000 per yr right now.

Wolf
08-05-2011, 11:30 AM
guess the positive on Mays' situation is that the 49ers haven't put him on ebay yet
:kitten:

Doppelganger
08-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Taylor Mays is a playmaker. Ask Cushing if Mays could stand up & rush the QB?

Taylor is a prototypical old style in the box safety. The league is moving towards having two safetys that can cover with all the extra WRs around. Taylor is not worth grabbing in my mind.

Doppelganger
08-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Antwaun Molden was a great gunner 'till the Titans blew up his ankle.
Andre Davis is gone, so the Texans are gunnerless.

Seems like a good option to me, but I expect the Texans to pass.

I think Keo will be the new gunner with possibly McManis or one of those UDFA WRs.

Rey
08-05-2011, 11:01 PM
I think Keo will be the new gunner with possibly McManis or one of those UDFA WRs.

I can't see keo as a gunner. I don't think he has that kind of speed or athleticism.

Doppelganger
08-05-2011, 11:03 PM
I can't see keo as a gunner. I don't think he has that kind of speed or athleticism.

Didn't he return kicks in school? I would think a kick returner is fast enough?

beerlover
08-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Taylor is a prototypical old style in the box safety. The league is moving towards having two safetys that can cover with all the extra WRs around. Taylor is not worth grabbing in my mind.

Texans had another USC Trojan Man, who played safety, couldn't make it & came here, Darnell Bing I think? Anyway he was being asked to convert to OLB (weakside in 4-3) & looked promising in camp then suffered a major injury. So this wouldn't even be like setting a prescient, it's already been attempted. Maybe the young man is just struggling, adjusting to reality after that whole unreal environment in College? Take Vince Young for example, been kinda lost for a while, now he's found a new home, with it the evolution of the game.

So don't write off Taylor Mays in this league of playmakers just yet. Maybe not the Texans but another 3-4 team who would like to add some outside speed to the pass rush.

Rey
08-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Texans had another USC Trojan Man, who played safety, couldn't make it & came here, Darnell Bing I think? Anyway he was being asked to convert to OLB (weakside in 4-3) & looked promising in camp then suffered a major injury. So this wouldn't even be like setting a prescient, it's already been attempted. Maybe the young man is just struggling, adjusting to reality after that whole unreal environment in College? Take Vince Young for example, been kinda lost for a while, now he's found a new home, with it the evolution of the game.

So don't write off Taylor Mays in this league of playmakers just yet. Maybe not the Texans but another 3-4 team who would like to add some outside speed to the pass rush.

Good post.

Someone with that size, strength and athletic ability can be used if they are open to coaching. Even if it's just a specialized role.

The Pencil Neck
08-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Didn't he return kicks in school? I would think a kick returner is fast enough?

He's not a speed guy. He's an instinct and quick feet guy.

SteveSlaton20
08-06-2011, 03:34 AM
just another bernald pollard/roy williams/etc, just more athletic.

nytexan
08-06-2011, 02:52 PM

I agree with you but there has to be something else going on behind the scenes. You just don't dump a former 2nd round pick the following year because he doesn't fit your scheme with at least a training camp to test him out in another role. Something smells fishy here

cuppacoffee
08-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Let's see...

His college coach wouldn't touch him and now his current coach who coached against him in the same conference is about to cut him. I'll pass.

Never sign a player that isn't wanted by his former college coach.

Signed: Matt Leinart.

CoSigned: Amobe Okoye

:coffee:

Lucky
08-07-2011, 05:10 PM
That's a good point. Mays best fit might be as a Will LB in a Tampa 2 defense. He can chase RBs, play in a zone, and occasionaly man up on a RB. Something he can handle.

leebigeztx
08-08-2011, 12:48 AM
To me, u have to look past mays body and look at his skills. His body says in the box body rocker, but his skills say deep midle free. When you have a safety like manning who has cover skills, theother guy should be a rangy guy like mays. His range from sideline to sideline and his ability to close on guys make perfect next to manning. He can play 2 deep or single high. He doest get picks, but he will folrce the incompletion.

drs23
08-08-2011, 11:01 AM
To me, u have to look past mays body and look at his skills. His body says in the box body rocker, but his skills say deep midle free. When you have a safety like manning who has cover skills, theother guy should be a rangy guy like mays. His range from sideline to sideline and his ability to close on guys make perfect next to manning. He can play 2 deep or single high. He doest get picks, but he will folrce the incompletion.

The bolded being the case, why are the 9rs so intent on shopping him?

Ole Miss Texan
08-08-2011, 11:58 AM
The following is what Drew Boylhart wrote November 2009 regarding Taylor Mays. Said Mays' impact level in the pros would be that of a 4th rounder... not a 1st. The thing about Mays is that it doesn't seem like he's developed at all since then. Joseph coached him last year in SF so he knows first hand whether the guy has potential to learn or not.
Taylor Mays S USC

STRENGTHS
Taylor has excellent size and track speed to play his position. He has long legs that make it easy for him to cover a lot of ground and he can cover the whole field. Taylor plays a lot of single safety because of his ability to cover ground once he gets up to speed and looks to be an excellent track star playing football. Taylor Mays because of his size speed ratio has been compared to Troy Polamalu Safety Pittsburgh Steelers but personally for me he reminds me of Roy Williams Safety drafted # 8 in 2002 by the Dallas Cowboys.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE
Taylor is a track star trying to convince people that he is a impact football player. He does not wrap up when he tackles, he lacks instincts and football intelligence, he has straight line speed but very slow lateral agility and his make up speed lacks effort. He needs the play in front of him at all times and that is why he is playing deep in a single safety system. Taylor does not take good angles and does not cover well at all. If you put Taylor up near the line of scrimmage he will fall for play action every time. I do not see him with a lot of interceptions because he does not have good hands and is always out of position to intercept the ball. This kid plays nothing like Troy Polamalu did when he was in college. The comparison is strictly for marketing purposes by the USC public relations department to guarantee a 1st round draft pick in this years draft.

BOTTOM LINE
Pete Carroll has a big interest in making sure he has a first round pick in the draft every year. This is how he recruits. This is why he holds his own personal combine and does not let his players go to the real combine. I don't blame him I just think he is obvious. The fact is that by holding his own combine he can fool a lot of scouts and coaches with workouts designed to magnify his players strengths. Taylor is a workout warrior who once in a while makes a play on the football field. Those are the facts. With Taylor's size and speed tell me why would Pete not move him up to the LB position or even use him as a rover like he used Troy Polamalu when he played for USC. There is a reason. Pete is smart and he knows Taylor does not tackle very well and has no football instincts. Pete knows that if he keeps Taylor out of the action and lets him workout at his personal combine that Taylor (because of his size/ speed ratio) will automatically be considered a 1st round draft pick. An NFL coach is going to see Taylor workout and then go to some edited film and think that Taylor is the next great safety to hit the football world. I'm here to tell you it's not going to happen. If I'm wrong ...so be it. But I'm not. Last year I told you Clay Mathews and Brian Cushing were going to be good players for the teams that drafted them because... that is what I saw on the film. This year I'm telling you Taylor is average at best because that is what I see on film. I have no axe to grind I just call it like I see it.

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/archive/Player.Profiles/2010.Profiles/Taylor.Mays.htm

There's been several times I've disagreed with Boylhart's analyis of players but I think he's dead on more often than not.

leebigeztx
08-09-2011, 05:56 AM
The following is what Drew Boylhart wrote November 2009 regarding Taylor Mays. Said Mays' impact level in the pros would be that of a 4th rounder... not a 1st. The thing about Mays is that it doesn't seem like he's developed at all since then. Joseph coached him last year in SF so he knows first hand whether the guy has potential to learn or not.

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/archive/Player.Profiles/2010.Profiles/Taylor.Mays.htm

There's been several times I've disagreed with Boylhart's analyis of players but I think he's dead on more often than not.

The article goes back to what I said about him. If you have a guy like manning who can cover y-flex te's and slot guys, it allows a guy like mays to play single high. As the article stated, he can cover a lot of ground quickly. His size and athleticism would allowfor him to be efective as a cover 2,3, or just plain single high safety type. Now if he has to come up to the line and check a te, he's going to struggle.

srrono
08-09-2011, 08:06 AM
The following is what Drew Boylhart wrote November 2009 regarding Taylor Mays. Said Mays' impact level in the pros would be that of a 4th rounder... not a 1st. The thing about Mays is that it doesn't seem like he's developed at all since then. Joseph coached him last year in SF so he knows first hand whether the guy has potential to learn or not.http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/archive/Player.Profiles/2010.Profiles/Taylor.Mays.htm

its funny i did not even think of this relationship. Joseph knowing the player if we wanted him i think something would have leaked by now unledd the Texans are being smart and waiting for Mays release.

Playoffs
08-09-2011, 01:52 PM
...There's been several times I've disagreed with Boylhart's analyis of players but I think he's dead on more often than not.

I found this pretty prescient: http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/archive/Player.Profiles/2010.Profiles/Kareem.Jackson.htm

Ole Miss Texan
08-09-2011, 04:41 PM
I found this pretty prescient: http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/archive/Player.Profiles/2010.Profiles/Kareem.Jackson.htm
No joke. That's why I still hold hope for Jackson to succeed. Obviously he didn't come in and impact the way we wanted him to but if he can develop behind Joseph and Allen then we could have a pretty dangerous secondary. Let's hope he makes some stides this year. Joseph/Allen/Jackson/Harris + Manning/Quin -> WOW!

He nailed it on Amobi Okoye (http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/archive/Player.Profiles/2007.Profiles/amobi.okoye.htm) too.

Wolf
08-23-2011, 10:42 PM
CINCINNATI (AP)óSafety Taylor Mays(notes) is getting a chance to start over with a team thatís been interested in him since his college days.

The Cincinnati Bengals acquired the second-year player from the San Francisco 49ers on Tuesday in a trade for an undisclosed draft pick.

Mays spent the morning trying to learn the playbook, then practiced with the team in the afternoon. The pass defense has been a problem in preseason drubbings against the Lions and the Jets. The Bengals tried to upgrade the safety position through free agency, but Donte Whitner(notes) signed with the 49ers instead.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AixeiDaN5qOBxcCc1Ah7ZBlDubYF?slug=ap-49ers-bengalstrade

Ole Miss Texan
08-24-2011, 11:06 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AixeiDaN5qOBxcCc1Ah7ZBlDubYF?slug=ap-49ers-bengalstrade

Wow, so the Bengals have Rey Maualuga, Keith Rivers and now Taylor Mays on their defense. They sure like them Trojans.

Section516
08-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Wow, so the Bengals have Rey Maualuga, Keith Rivers and now Taylor Mays on their defense. They sure like them Trojans.

Trade Cush for Leon Hall...?

:runaway: