PFF_MikeClay:
#Eagles are still a fit for Steve Slaton...keep an eye on them

Original Tweet: http://twitter.com/PFF_MikeClay/statuses/98445018917912579

The Pencil Neck
08-02-2011, 12:47 PM
PFF_MikeClay:
#Eagles are still a fit for Steve Slaton...keep an eye on them

Original Tweet: http://twitter.com/PFF_MikeClay/statuses/98445018917912579

Excellent. That would be a good fit for him. He could be their next Brian Westbrook.

Trap_Star
08-02-2011, 12:47 PM
send us nate allen for him, straight up. :fingergun:

michaelm
08-02-2011, 12:52 PM

Asante Samuel?

The Pencil Neck
08-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Asante Samuel?

ssssshhhhhhhhh don't spoil it ssssssshhhhhhhhhhh

Trap_Star
08-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Asante Samuel?

i'd take allen over samuel....he's a young, stud FS. i can live with glover as the #2 CB.

michaelm
08-02-2011, 12:55 PM
i'd take allen over samuel....he's a young, stud FS. i can live with glover as the #2 CB.

I'm with you, but I was trying to get into the same ballpark as (somewhat) reasonable possibility... give or take a future draft pick.

El Tejano
08-02-2011, 12:58 PM
I wonder what kind of pick + Slaton we would be willing to give up to get Asante Samuel.

Trap_Star
08-02-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm with you, but I was trying to get into the same ballpark as (somewhat) reasonable possibility... give or take a future draft pick.

the eagles are up there with the patriots when it comes to raping people in trades....they would probably jedi mind trick us into giving us a 2nd round pick for slaton....and our 1st next year.

:strangle:

The Pencil Neck
08-02-2011, 12:59 PM
I wonder what kind of pick + Slaton we would be willing to give up to get Asante Samuel.

And how we'd make up the cap difference.

Can you imagine:

Samuel
Quin
Manning
Joseph

That would be rather satisfactory.

nero THE zero
08-02-2011, 01:03 PM

Probably a second.

Not a chance in hell that Slaton for Samuel is even in the same universe as "something reasonable." That's asinine.

That said, if we could get it to work with the cap, I'd give Slaton and a 2nd for him in a heartbeat.

El Tejano
08-02-2011, 01:04 PM

And to think Nate Allen was there late in the draft two years ago and we didn't draft him then. Instead we got Dorin Dickerson.

Maybe Wade will ask for it. We all know Wade get's whatever he wants because his daddy is Bum.

eriadoc
08-02-2011, 01:04 PM
the eagles are up there with the patriots when it comes to raping people in trades....they would probably jedi mind trick us into giving us a 2nd round pick for slaton....and our 1st next year.

:strangle:

If only we had Ed Wade negotiating this deal .....

El Tejano
08-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Probably a second.

Not a chance in hell that Slaton for Samuel is even in the same universe as "something reasonable." That's asinine.

That said, if we could get it to work with the cap, I'd give Slaton and a 2nd for him in a heartbeat.

That's what I'm saying. However looking as how Philly wanted a first for Kolb, I'm sure they aren't going to let Samuel go for peanuts. Although, he has been pretty vocal these days.

GP
08-02-2011, 01:06 PM
If only we had Ed Wade negotiating this deal .....

Yeah, Ed would send the Eagles Andre Johnson and we'd get one of their UDFA guys.

That's Ed Wade: Helping Phillies fans any way he can. Swell guy.

michaelm
08-02-2011, 01:06 PM

Yeah, it was said tongue in cheek, hence the statement "give or take a future draft pick" following directly behind the "something reasonable" statement.
Been fun, though, thanks for playing.

Honoring Earl 34
08-02-2011, 01:11 PM
And to think Nate Allen was there late in the draft two years ago and we didn't draft him then. Instead we got Dorin Dickerson.

Maybe Wade will ask for it. We all know Wade get's whatever he wants because his daddy is Bum.

I think Nate Allen was a 2nd round pick and Dickerson was a 7th .

El Tejano
08-02-2011, 01:13 PM
I think Nate Allen was a 2nd round pick and Dickerson was a 7th .

Ok. I may be talking about a different DB but I do recall the same draft.

Playoffs
08-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Straight up, do we get any compensation for Slaton at this point?

The Pencil Neck
08-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Ok. I may be talking about a different DB but I do recall the same draft.

Were they drafted or did they go undrafted?

The secondary guys drafted after Dorin were:

Kurt Coleman, Eagles
Ray Fisher, Colts
Robert McClain, Panthers
Stevie Brown, Giants

I don't recall any of those guys doing anything great last year.

DocBar
08-02-2011, 01:50 PM
That's what I'm saying. However looking as how Philly wanted a first for Kolb, I'm sure they aren't going to let Samuel go for peanuts. Although, he has been pretty vocal these days.Philly had Arizona over the barrel on that trade. Philly needs a RB and have a history with Westbrook types. We'd be on a more level playing field than Arizona. Having said that, I'm not sure I'd give up a 2nd. I think we'll have a solid enough secondary with:

Joesph
Manning
Quin
Allen
with KJ and Harris coming in for nickel/dime

I'd gauge the interest and play a little hardball.

SteveSlaton20
08-02-2011, 01:55 PM
not even philly is that dumb to trade their second best CB for an average RB, even if we do give them a first.

since when did philly need a RB? They have LeSean McCoy, who's 10x better than Slaton.

Ole Miss Texan
08-02-2011, 02:01 PM
not even philly is that dumb to trade their second best CB for an average RB, even if we do give them a first.

since when did philly need a RB? They have LeSean McCoy, who's 10x better than Slaton.
Plus they signed Vince Young.

:lol:

HOU-TEX
08-02-2011, 02:01 PM
They brought in UDFA Noel Devine last week and the dude bailed. Who the hell bails on an opportunity to play in the NFL?

*HOU-TEX random thought of the day

DocBar
08-02-2011, 02:15 PM

since when did philly need a RB? They have LeSean McCoy, who's 10x better than Slaton.They don't really have anyone behind him, though.

HouSportsWriter
08-02-2011, 02:22 PM
name change in 3..2...1

who to jinx now

duckbill58
08-02-2011, 02:22 PM

hahaha are u kidding?!? slaton and a first they would do that shit in a heartbeat

nero THE zero
08-02-2011, 02:23 PM
They brought in UDFA Noel Devine last week and the dude bailed. Who the hell bails on an opportunity to play in the NFL?

Glenn Coffee.

duckbill58
08-02-2011, 02:23 PM
honestly i think they would do it for slaton and a second. have you not heard asante talking these last few days

The Pencil Neck
08-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Glenn Coffee.

lol.

I was trying to remember that guy's name and I couldn't come up with it.

badboy
08-02-2011, 02:26 PM

:strangle:If you are saying Texans get a 2nd for Steve Slaton and we give them our first for Asante Samuel, we should not even need a telephone because they would hear me screaming Done Deal! all the way to Philly.

HOU-TEX
08-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Glenn Coffee.

Ha, true. Wasted a draft pick too. At least he gave a legit reason why he was leaving at the time

beerlover
08-02-2011, 02:33 PM
If Slaton goes to the Eagles they will become my 2nd favorite team :wesmantexanfan:

badboy
08-02-2011, 02:35 PM
If Slaton goes to the Eagles they will become my 2nd favorite team :wesmantexanfan:Getting on the Super Bowl band wagon are you? lol

The1ApplePie
08-02-2011, 02:40 PM
And this is after the Eagles traded Bunkley for a ham sandwitch:wadepalm:

Not sure if he ever lived up to his combine numbers, but he is a big boy

Dutchrudder
08-02-2011, 02:40 PM
They aren't going to trade Asante Samuel for Slaton straight up. The Eagles are in 'win now' mode and want players in return. I think if you gave them Jason Allen and Slaton for Samuel, they might go for it if they are looking to free up some cap space before Wednesday.

V3rm0nt3r
08-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Ha, true. Wasted a draft pick too. At least he gave a legit reason why he was leaving at the time

Define "legit reason?"

:fingergun:

srrono
08-02-2011, 02:59 PM

We cant afford Sameul. Guys this isnt madden.

badboy
08-02-2011, 03:02 PM
We cant afford Sameul. Guys this isnt madden.So you know what our current salary cap is? I don't think I have seen it anywhere. Tell us why we cannot afford him?

srrono
08-02-2011, 03:07 PM
So you know what our current salary cap is? I don't think I have seen it anywhere. Tell us why we cannot afford him?

i know we couldnt sign Leach I know we have not sign or even tried out a mid range fa (I dont count a player thats been injured 2 yrs straigt) since signing the dbs. So with that It makes me think our cap room is small and we are looking for bargin players right now some vets on the cheap.

michaelm
08-02-2011, 03:11 PM
i know we couldnt sign Leach I know we have not sign or even brouht in a mid range fa since signing the dbs. So with that It makes me think our cap room is small and we are looking for bargin players right now some vets on the cheap.

No, you really don't know that they couldn't sign Leach. What you know is that they didn't sign Leach.
They may have money under the cap because they chose to let Leach go, and spend that money on different positions.
just because they chose not to match Baltimore's $6mil guaranteed, doesn't necessarily mean they didn't have the cash.
No body really knows how much space the team has under the cap, as far as I know.

Rey
08-02-2011, 03:13 PM
i know we couldnt sign Leach I know we have not sign or even tried out a mid range fa (I dont count a player thats been injured 2 yrs straigt) since signing the dbs. So with that It makes me think our cap room is small and we are looking for bargin players right now some vets on the cheap.

I don't think we wanted to sign leach.

They were talking about it on the radio the other day and schaub and Walters contracts could be restructured to save a lot of money.

I think if they really wanted to pony up the money for leach (or any mid range FA) they would have.

The Pencil Neck
08-02-2011, 03:17 PM
If someone like an Asante Samuel became an option, I think they could re-arrange some things, restructure some contracts and I think they would be able to swing it.

HOU-TEX
08-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Define "legit reason?"

He said at the time he was leaving football to finish school and to follow Christ.

Probably BS, considering he was arrested later that year for having a concealed, loaded and cocked hand gun. But it sounded legit at the time

The Pencil Neck
08-02-2011, 03:20 PM
I forgot to say that... I think they have a certain amount of money budgeted to each position. I think that Leach just asked for more than they had budgeted and they didn't think it necessary or cost effective to take the money from somewhere else to cover the difference. Because by doing that, you lose shimmy room if something presents itself later.

eriadoc
08-02-2011, 03:21 PM
He said at the time he was leaving football to finish school and to follow Christ.

Probably BS, considering he was arrested later that year for having a concealed, loaded and cocked hand gun. But it sounded legit at the time

I have a concealed, loaded, and cocked handgun on me right now. Does that mean I can't follow Christ?

The Pencil Neck
08-02-2011, 03:22 PM
I have a concealed, loaded, and cocked handgun on me right now. Does that mean I can't follow Christ?

Pretty much.

I mean, you can follow him around in a bodyguard type of capacity all the way up to the gate but they won't let you in to the promised land if you're packing heat.

EDIT: Kinda like a courtroom.

badboy
08-02-2011, 03:22 PM
i know we couldnt sign Leach I know we have not sign or even tried out a mid range fa (I dont count a player thats been injured 2 yrs straigt) since signing the dbs. So with that It makes me think our cap room is small and we are looking for bargin players right now some vets on the cheap.Ok or it could mean that Leach was not as highly rated as some think and no one of Samuel's skills have been in play. What DBs are interesting to you?

vupac1
08-02-2011, 03:28 PM
I wouldn't mind giving up on Kareem and sending KJ + Slaton if its at all possible salary wise

HOU-TEX
08-02-2011, 03:29 PM

3rd degree felony in Fla

It was illegal. Don't want a religious debate.

Texecutioner
08-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Excellent. That would be a good fit for him. He could be their next Brian Westbrook.

Agreed. I think he'd be a great fit for them, especially as a back up. I'd like to see Slaton have success again.

michaelm
08-02-2011, 03:33 PM
#EaglesInsider:

BREAKING NEWS: #Eagles have agreed to terms with former Dolphins RB Ronnie Brown on a one-year deal.

Also

Fantasy_Guru: Ronnie a great signing for the Eagles. Needed a reliable backup for McCoy; he's also an effective receiver.
Original Tweet: http://twitter.com/Fantasy_Guru/statuses/98491572391387136

The Pencil Neck
08-02-2011, 03:34 PM
#EaglesInsider:

BREAKING NEWS: #Eagles have agreed to terms with former Dolphins RB Ronnie Brown on a one-year deal.

/thread.

That makes a ton more sense.

DocBar
08-02-2011, 03:40 PM
#EaglesInsider:

Also

Fantasy_Guru: Ronnie a great signing for the Eagles. Needed a reliable backup for McCoy; he's also an effective receiver.
Original Tweet: http://twitter.com/Fantasy_Guru/statuses/98491572391387136Vivk, VY and Ronnie Brown??? The Wildcat offense from hell!!

PHAROAH
08-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Asante Samuel would be awesome but i think that we would have to give up more than steve slaton to get him and you might want to through in Kareem Jackson to pull it off.

michaelm
08-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Vivk, VY and Ronnie Brown??? The Wildcat offense from hell!!

I posted this in the NFL forum:

JeffDarlington: Ronnie Brown was between 4 teams: Eagles, Chargers, Ravens and Rams. The lowest contract offer he got? Philadelphia. Not about the money.
Original Tweet: http://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/statuses/98492866883633153

Sent via TweetDeck (www.tweetdeck.com)

badboy
08-02-2011, 03:41 PM

:fingergun:You can but He really does not like looking over His shoulder.

powda
08-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Pretty much.

I mean, you can follow him around in a bodyguard type of capacity all the way up to the gate but they won't let you in to the promised land if you're packing heat.

EDIT: Kinda like a courtroom.

If your a cop you cary. PERIOD. Courtrooms, schools, liquir stores, AND the afterlife. I'm loaded for bear.

badboy
08-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Asante Samuel would be awesome but i think that we would have to give up more than steve slaton to get him and you might want to through in Kareem Jackson to pull it off.Just curious, why would Eagles want KJ?

JWarren14
08-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Eagles just signed Ronnie Brown, don't think they need Stevie now.

powda
08-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Anyone whos paying attention knows were going to have to cut him. Why would a team give up more then a LATE 7 for the guy?

The Pencil Neck
08-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Anyone whos paying attention knows were going to have to cut him. Why would a team give up more then a LATE 7 for the guy?

I'll take a 7 for him. But we may as well keep him during TC as a camp body and see what develops.

DocBar
08-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Anyone whos paying attention knows were going to have to cut him. Why would a team give up more then a LATE 7 for the guy?ROFL@ LATE 7. An EARLY 7 would be how much more gooder?

powda
08-02-2011, 04:14 PM
ROFL@ LATE 7. An EARLY 7 would be how much more gooder?

rofl? really? put the bong down. its intended to illustrate his value as lil more then an undrafted free agent you really want.

http://mimg.ugo.com/200809/23263/spicoli.jpg

do u need to rofl at that to?

srrono
08-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Ok or it could mean that Leach was not as highly rated as some think and no one of Samuel's skills have been in play. What DBs are interesting to you?

dont get me wrong i would love to have sameul here. i am just saying before free agency started people were reporting that the Texans didnt have a lot of cap space so i am guessing here but i think rick made some long needed cuts adjusted some contracts and with that created room for the 2 dbs they signed which was a great job. sameul has a escalating contract on the back end. the contract pays $8.4 million this season and $10.4 million next year. On top of that he may want a new deal if traded.

DocBar
08-02-2011, 04:32 PM
rofl? really? put the bong down. its intended to illustrate his value as lil more then an undrafted free agent you really want.

http://mimg.ugo.com/200809/23263/spicoli.jpg

do u need to rofl at that to?Don't you judge me!!! ROFL

Clamp
08-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Just saw on ESPN that the eagles signed Ronnie Brown, confirmed on NFL.com http://www.nfl.com/teams/philadelphiaeagles/profile?team=PHI

Its a one year deal so it is probably in the 7 or 8 million range id guess. Either way its that much more cap space for a team that has already loaded up. At the same time Samuel has said that he is open to a trade. Im sure he isnt excited about possibly being the #3 corner on the team is Rogers-Cromartie beats him out in camp. What im saying is lets make an offer. They might be willing to make a better deal now after signing yet another big name free agent.

badboy
08-02-2011, 05:52 PM
dont get me wrong i would love to have sameul here. i am just saying before free agency started people were reporting that the Texans didnt have a lot of cap space so i am guessing here but i think rick made some long needed cuts adjusted some contracts and with that created room for the 2 dbs they signed which was a great job. sameul has a escalating contract on the back end. the contract pays $8.4 million this season and $10.4 million next year. On top of that he may want a new deal if traded.And a new deal may benefit Texans as they can bonus him with upfront money and therefor possible lower his cap hit. I think for a starter at a weak position, we shold be able to find the money with cuts. Eagles hopefully want out of his contract.
Thanks for discussing this with me.

badboy
08-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Just saw on ESPN that the eagles signed Ronnie Brown, confirmed on NFL.com http://www.nfl.com/teams/philadelphiaeagles/profile?team=PHI

Its a one year deal so it is probably in the 7 or 8 million range id guess. Either way its that much more cap space for a team that has already loaded up. At the same time Samuel has said that he is open to a trade. Im sure he isnt excited about possibly being the #3 corner on the team is Rogers-Cromartie beats him out in camp. What im saying is lets make an offer. They might be willing to make a better deal now after signing yet another big name free agent.Exactly, I'm thinking Philly wants draft picks rather than adding any new money. We could really come out of this looking great if we can add a DB of Asante's worth to Manning and Joseph. man that would allow our young guys time to develop.

srrono
08-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Exactly, I'm thinking Philly wants draft picks rather than adding any new money. We could really come out of this looking great if we can add a DB of Asante's worth to Manning and Joseph. man that would allow our young guys time to develop.

what would you give for him pick wise he is 30 but still playing at a high levl how about a 2 next year and a 4 the year after? any idea what they are asking for?

ArlingtonTexan
08-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Exactly, I'm thinking Philly wants draft picks rather than adding any new money. We could really come out of this looking great if we can add a DB of Asante's worth to Manning and Joseph. man that would allow our young guys time to develop.

1 million with incentives per profootballtalk.com on Ronnie Brown

fiasco west
08-02-2011, 06:04 PM
We cant afford Sameul. Guys this isnt madden.

Can someone tell that to Philly?

XI CMURDER IX
08-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Can someone tell that to Philly?

And New England while they are at it.

srrono
08-02-2011, 06:10 PM
http://media.photobucket.com/image/bad%20%20math/jayenticollins/New-Teacher.jpg

BigBull17
08-02-2011, 06:18 PM
And a new deal may benefit Texans as they can bonus him with upfront money and therefor possible lower his cap hit. I think for a starter at a weak position, we shold be able to find the money with cuts. Eagles hopefully want out of his contract.
Thanks for discussing this with me.

Like with how the Jets did with Holmes ?

Clamp
08-02-2011, 06:23 PM

Well there goes my theory lol. And 1 million for ronnie brown? Those must be some pretty sweet incentives.

badboy
08-02-2011, 06:24 PM
what would you give for him pick wise he is 30 but still playing at a high levl how about a 2 next year and a 4 the year after? any idea what they are asking for?I think it is more important to determine what the other team would take in any trade. It is hard for me to determine that because I just can not get into other teams. They just don't excite me. So most of my guessing comes from what others say.

Earlier this week I was discussing a trade with BeerLover one of my mock draft partners and I was willing to give up our first round selection. With this roster adding Samuel I think we would draft no higher than #24 & conceivably much lower. If I could get a proven starter in his prime with this player's stats and at a reasonable salary (even if he does not renegotiate a lower cap hit) at #24? Sheesh! No brainer. Listening to a Houston radio station this last weekend, both guys agreed a 2nd & 4th should do it.

If I was GM for Iggles, I'd hold out for the first; give me three next draft. I would then not do a Patriot trade down but maybe even a trade up for better talent under the reduced rooky cap.

Eagles are being praise today for some of the players they are signing but some of them could just as easily fall apart. The draft picks they are accumulating will serve as a safety net.

badboy
08-02-2011, 06:26 PM

Interesting as on another TT thread I thought I read $8million but I could easily have misread.

badboy
08-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Like with how the Jets did with Holmes ?

5 year $50m. $15 up front bonus and $3m first year;back load the rest. Player gets $18m by end of first year compared to around 7m under old deal. Cap hit $6m compared to $8m off top of my head.

SteveSlaton20
08-03-2011, 01:13 AM

he didn't want to do PR or KR, and don't want to block or w/e. he isn't special.

and the eagles wouldn't want another DB, they want a LB.
and yeah i know they just signed Ronnie brown.

eriadoc
08-03-2011, 09:37 AM
3rd degree felony in Fla

It was illegal. Don't want a religious debate.

No religious debate with me. My sole point was only that I have a hard time looking down on a person for doing something that's legal in some states and not in others. Inalienable rights aren't supposed to cease existing at state lines.

Anyway, that's far too NSZ for this forum, so suffice to say that I have no issues with Coffee with regard to the "felony". I have a much bigger issue with him bailing on his team after they spent a high draft pick on him.

As for the original topic of this tangent, wasn't Noel Devine the guy that stole playing time from Slaton at WVa? That would have been funny to find Slaton paired up with him in the NFL.

steelbtexan
08-03-2011, 09:43 AM
I dont know the Eagles roster. But maybe they have a surlpus of ILB and Slaton could be traded to fill that need.

I would rather get a 5th rd pick for him. So that it can be used to move up in a very deep 2012 draft.