PDA

View Full Version : Brian Cushing not practicing due to knee issue

cland
08-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Not sure how I missed this, but Brian Cushing hasn't fully recovered from off-season knee surgery:

(on when ILB Brian Cushing will play) I liked what I saw today, watching during the individual. Hes (Brian Cushing) come a long way this past week. I dont think youre going to see him in the next couple days, but I dont think hes very far away. I dont want to put a timetable on it. Well see. Hes definitely a few days away anyway. link (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Quotes-Monday-AM-practice/8f3355fa-f75b-4588-b81d-2da54364769b)

Makes me nervous we've got both of our ILBs coming off surgery in the off-season.

texanfan2002114
08-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Not sure how I missed this, but Brian Cushing hasn't fully recovered from off-season knee surgery:

(on when ILB Brian Cushing will play) I liked what I saw today, watching during the individual. Hes (Brian Cushing) come a long way this past week. I dont think youre going to see him in the next couple days, but I dont think hes very far away. I dont want to put a timetable on it. Well see. Hes definitely a few days away anyway. link (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Quotes-Monday-AM-practice/8f3355fa-f75b-4588-b81d-2da54364769b)

Makes me nervous we've got both of our ILBs coming off surgery in the off-season.

Cushing missed the whole preseason his rookie year and blew up the league. He also played with that knee injury most of the season last season so I think the Texans are just being smart with him. No need to worry!

80tothezone
08-01-2011, 05:17 PM
He will be fine cushing rocks!

pirbroke
08-01-2011, 05:19 PM
The depth at ILB seems a little week to me. I like Darryl Sharpton alot but after him I'm a little worried. What about Brooks or Conner play inside if we need to relieve the ILB for a while. It would get them on the field more, I think Brooks could kick but at any LB position.

BullsOnParade
08-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Well, not what I really wanted to hear, but I'm sure he'll be okay vs Indy. Just hoping we don't get any major injuries in camp this year. I'm sure it'll happen, but I pray we can overcome it.

Nawzer
08-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Maybe he's pregnant again...

Texans_Chick
08-01-2011, 05:51 PM
I was told they are being very careful with the heat at the start of camp, especially with players coming off of injury.

He was out there without a helmet with the position groups today--watching, not participating. He didn't seem concerned about not being out there--but then again, Cushing/Texans have kept things quiet in the past.

badboy
08-01-2011, 06:38 PM
He can take off until game one imo.

CloakNNNdagger
08-05-2011, 08:40 AM
I was told they are being very careful with the heat at the start of camp, especially with players coming off of injury.

He was out there without a helmet with the position groups today--watching, not participating. He didn't seem concerned about not being out there--but then again, Cushing/Texans have kept things quiet in the past.

From what I can make out from the available information, he underwent patella tendon surgery and a simultaneous scope for "cleanup." He evidently did not suffer an acute tendon rupture by history. So the surgery must have been for chronic cumulative partial tears. This can be a more difficult and complicated surgical problem than a clean rupture, and potentially carries a less predictable outcome. Total rehab from a classic patella tendon rupture can be as little as 6 months. Rehab from a chronic tear repair may be as long as 9-12 months especially if there is any question of the adequacy of repair.

MightyTExan
08-05-2011, 09:17 AM
On Cushing-

I watched him run today. I think he’s better every day. He’s not ready to come back out here quite yet so we’re being smart with him. Is that this week, is it next week, we don’t know. We’ll see. We’re day to day with him.

I translate that as "out for most of the season"

michaelm
08-05-2011, 09:28 AM
On Cushing-

I translate that as "out for most of the season"

Well... sounds like you're a "glass half shattered" kind of guy.

Texans Pride
08-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Cushing missed the whole preseason his rookie year and blew up the league. He also played with that knee injury most of the season last season so I think the Texans are just being smart with him. No need to worry!

He also did some drugs....which I think helped him immensely!

chicagotexan2
08-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Maybe he's pregnant again...

Freakin welfare mom

gtexan02
08-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Based on his positive PED test and the assumption (no factual evidence here) that he has used PEDs in the past as well, I think cumulative damage to the joint sounds very probable and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the kind of injury that plagues him throughout his career

CloakNNNdagger
08-05-2011, 10:25 AM
If his presumptive inflammatory jumper's knee was conservatively treated in previous seasons with local steroid injections (which is likely) in addition to anti-inflammatories, this could have further weakened and deteriorated the tendon integrity, leading to need for surgical attention.

The problem with most competitive athletes with jumper's knee is they do not see the need to rest and immobilization (and teams are sometimes reluctant to lose the player for that period), given that the condition presents with pain but does not affect their performance at that point.

SAMURAITEXAN
08-05-2011, 10:27 AM
From what I can make out from the available information, he underwent patella tendon surgery and a simultaneous scope for "cleanup." He evidently did not suffer an acute tendon rupture by history. So the surgery must have been for chronic cumulative partial tears. This can be a more difficult and complicated surgical problem than a clean rupture, and potentially carries a less predictable outcome. Total rehab from a classic patella tendon rupture can be as little as 6 months. Rehab from a chronic tear repair may be as long as 9-12 months especially if there is any question of the adequacy of repair.

Doc, is this surgery 100% recoverable? He had surgery in January so he may be able to return by 1st game in September but how well?

I would appreciate your insight.

Go Texans!!!

SAMURAITEXAN
08-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Man Doc, you have an ESP or something? When I was writing a question to you, you already answered a few minutes before me.

texanfan2002114
08-05-2011, 10:50 AM
He also did some drugs....which I think helped him immensely!

He did play all last year with a slight tear in his knee and still finished with 76 tackles and missed 4 games and played out of position for 2 of them.

CloakNNNdagger
08-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Doc, is this surgery 100% recoverable? He had surgery in January so he may be able to return by 1st game in September but how well?

I would appreciate your insight.

Go Texans!!!

There is very little out there that addresses this question. Here is one of the few recent studies that give generic return to play information.

It is a publication in the American Journal of Sports Medicine. It reports on 24 followed ruptures (22 patients) during a 10 year interval. Three also had an ACL injury. Another 11 had preoperative symptoms (which could have indicated chronic tears). Among 19 of the injuries, the player returned to at least one game in the NFL, and players who were chosen earlier in the draft were more likely to return to play. The average number of games played by those who returned was 45.4 games, with a range of 1 to 142 games.

Another study showed that most all of the ruptures (complete) were followed by some chronic stiffness and small deficits of knee range of motion. Overall, athletes (not NFL) found their way back to normal or near normal strength and performance. This also follows along presentations of anecdotal experiences.

Chronic tears that are surgically repaired would be expected to have a somewhat less predictable performance return depending on the extent of damage to the tendon and associated structures.

mussop
08-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Well If he has to miss any extended time maybe we could move Mario inside and put reed and barwin at OLB.

Perki-Perk
08-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Eh, I think Mario should come off the edge...I'd try Reed back there, or Sharpton. I don't know why people keep forgetting about Sharpton, he looked pretty good towards the end of the season and has kept showing good things in TC so far...

SAMURAITEXAN
08-05-2011, 11:02 PM
There is very little out there that addresses this question. Here is one of the few recent studies that give generic return to play information.

It is a publication in the American Journal of Sports Medicine. It reports on 24 followed ruptures (22 patients) during a 10 year interval. Three also had an ACL injury. Another 11 had preoperative symptoms (which could have indicated chronic tears). Among 19 of the injuries, the player returned to at least one game in the NFL, and players who were chosen earlier in the draft were more likely to return to play. The average number of games played by those who returned was 45.4 games, with a range of 1 to 142 games.

Another study showed that most all of the ruptures (complete) were followed by some chronic stiffness and small deficits of knee range of motion. Overall, athletes (not NFL) found their way back to normal or near normal strength and performance. This also follows along presentations of anecdotal experiences.

Chronic tears that are surgically repaired would be expected to have a somewhat less predictable performance return depending on the extent of damage to the tendon and associated structures.

Thanks for info Doc. So, Cushing should be back but not sure of outcome. Average of returned play was 45.4games which is 3 seasons only? This concerns me. Hope, he comes back smoking and stay healthy for a long time.

Go Texans!!!

CloakNNNdagger
08-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Interesting comment of PFT:

Cushing showed up at camp talking about losing 10 pounds. (As MDS notes, it’s always a little funny when guys busted for PEDs brag about losing weight.)

We think the Texans defense can improve greatly under Wade Phillips, but getting Cushing back on the field and effective again is a big x-factor.

Brisco_County
08-10-2011, 02:34 PM

Not that I don't believe he did not use PED's, but I don't attribute the weight loss to discontinued PED usage. Usually that is the case, but Cushing went all of last season at the same weight. If someone works hard enough in the weight room, they can keep their lean mass.

In this case, I think he really did trim down for speed.

michaelm
08-10-2011, 02:37 PM

We think the Texans defense can improve greatly under Wade Phillips, but getting Cushing back on the field and effective again is a big x-factor.

Man, can PEDs really have that much effect over a players ability and productivity?
I mean, they're basically saying that they think there's a chance that Cush goes from dominant pro bowl caliber animal to not ever being effective again because he stopped PEDs.
Can someone with some insight on PEDs speak to that?

The Pencil Neck
08-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Man, can PEDs really have that much effect over a players ability and productivity?
I mean, they're basically saying that they think there's a chance that Cush goes from dominant pro bowl caliber animal to not ever being effective again because he stopped PEDs.
Can someone with some insight on PEDs speak to that?

They're called PEDs because they enhance your performance. :)

Can taking PEDs turn a so-so player into a Pro-Bowler? Yes. For the right guy on the right regimen, definitely. They won't turn every so-so player into a Pro-Bowler but they will turn some into one.

The thing about drugs is that different people react to them a bit differently. I've known some guys that have taken steroids and worked their asses off in the gym and really not gotten much of a performance increase. And then there are guys who can take steroids and just half-ass it in the gym and turn into monsters.

One of the biggest problems with workouts is recovering from them. PEDs allow you to recover from things that would normally be detrimental and become stronger/faster from workouts that would be counterproductive for a normal person. PEDs can totally change your body and how it reacts to things.

TexansFanatic
08-10-2011, 04:09 PM
So, if Cushing never regains his rookie form and underperforms for the next few years and is finally cut, can he be called a bust in spite of his stellar first season?

TexanSam
08-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Is there still no timetable on his return? There's going to be a learning curve for the entire D in learning this new system. The more time he misses the more it's going to harm the team. Obviously he shouldn't rush the injury and make it worse but it'd be nice if he got better soon...

CloakNNNdagger
08-10-2011, 04:52 PM
They're called PEDs because they enhance your performance. :)

Can taking PEDs turn a so-so player into a Pro-Bowler? Yes. For the right guy on the right regimen, definitely. They won't turn every so-so player into a Pro-Bowler but they will turn some into one.

The thing about drugs is that different people react to them a bit differently. I've known some guys that have taken steroids and worked their asses off in the gym and really not gotten much of a performance increase. And then there are guys who can take steroids and just half-ass it in the gym and turn into monsters.

One of the biggest problems with workouts is recovering from them. PEDs allow you to recover from things that would normally be detrimental and become stronger/faster from workouts that would be counterproductive for a normal person. PEDs can totally change your body and how it reacts to things.

Nice summary.:bravo:

Kimmy
08-10-2011, 05:50 PM
So, if Cushing never regains his rookie form and underperforms for the next few years and is finally cut, can he be called a bust in spite of his stellar first season?

Yep, and there will always be that pesky little asterisk next to his name.

CloakNNNdagger
08-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Keep in mind that use of anabolic steroids can chronically weaken tendons and disproportionately strengthen muscles. A patella tendon tear/rupture is a more infrequent injury than even a quadraceps tendon rupture.

In other words, history of anabolic steroid use + very strong quad + very weak patella tendon = significant increased risk of patella tendon tear/rupture.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/figures/A00512F02.jpg

TimeKiller
08-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Does Cushing ever practice? I remember he sat out a few weeks last year, not including the suspension. I think he sat out some of training camp his rookie year too, right? Maybe what's affected his performance MOST is the lack of practice. Relying on Demeco to practice for him.......'cept when Demeco couldn't play? Cushing looked timid and unsure on the field.

Do I think steroids can make a regular athlete a mega athlete? Yes.
How big of an effect can that have on performance? I'd say less than what most people think but more than nothing at all.
Pro-bowl/DROY to scrubby scrub difference? No.

The difference is he didn't practice at all last year. And he isn't practicing much this year.

drs23
08-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Keep in mind that use of anabolic steroids can chronically weaken tendons and disproportionately strengthen muscles. A patella tendon tear/rupture is a more infrequent injury than even a quadraceps tendon rupture.

In other words, history of anabolic steroid use + very strong quad + very weak patella tendon = significant increased risk of patella tendon tear/rupture.

Doc Jean, I *thought* Cush's issue was behind his patella. Seems as though I read about him having it scaped or "cleaned up".

Is that what he had done or was it a "tear/rupture" of the actual tendon that had to be repaired?

GP
08-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Call me an a-hole for this, but I don't think there's a happy ending for Brian Cushing or for Cushing fans.

If he has been doing PEDs since high school, and only recently stopped, he's got a long history of jacking with his body in ways that will end up with consequences he doesn't like.

I don't know, man. he might come back from this issue with the knee, but will it only come back again? Will other areas of his body fall victim to the after-effects?

I think you put him in the middle and you have him rush the QB right up the gut, over Center/Guard or Guard/Tackle, and ask him to eat up anything that comes straight down the pipe at him.

Him and 'Meco should be the two middle guys because of their knee/achilles problems--You ask them to police the middle, leaving your outside guys like Mario, Barwin, Reed to cover the huge area between each end of the o-line and the sidelines.

In essence: Extend their careers as much as you can by asking them to stay limited/restrained to the size of field they have to roam/cover. Let the long-striders like Mario and Barwin get to the edges and chase and track down scramblers.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there is a great risk with both 'Meco and Cushing of losing them to further injury if we ask them to do too much. They're greatest asset is their ability to see the play and know where it's going.

JamesBill
08-10-2011, 07:39 PM
If he has been doing PEDs since high school, and only recently stopped, he's got a long history of jacking with his body in ways that will end up with consequences he doesn't like.

They held him together with scotch tape the first year and he was fine. I think his injury is more of a mental problem because it keeps him from learning the defense.

CloakNNNdagger
08-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Doc Jean, I *thought* Cush's issue was behind his patella. Seems as though I read about him having it scaped or "cleaned up".

Is that what he had done or was it a "tear/rupture" of the actual tendon that had to be repaired?

This was based on tweets by Cushing :
Texans SLB Brian Cushing revealed on Twitter that he recently had surgery to "get his patella cleaned up and knee scoped."
Cushing tweeted that the procedure "was about two years overdue." It's not clear what kind of timetable he'll have for recovery, but it sounds like a minor operation.

But basically the reports following his surgery did not minimize the injury:

Cushing underwent knee surgery in January to repair his patella tendon and is still being held out of workouts. He'll play inside in new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips' 3-4 scheme, but the loss of weight signals that he'll be asked to move around some. We still think 90-100 tackles are within reach.
Source: Houston Chronicle
Aug 2, 8:14 AM

Cushing is still trying to build up strength in his knee after undergoing patella tendon surgery in January. But he is doing heavy sled work and the Texans don't appear worried. We're still fully expecting Cushing to be in the starting lineup come Week 1.
Source: Houston Chronicle
Aug 8, 8:42 AM

From Profootball.scout.com
Cushing's knee still bothering him
by Aaron Wilson of Scout.com, August 10, 2011 at 11:50 am ET

Brian Cushing Profile

Houston Texans linebacker Brian Cushing has made a slow recover from knee surgery to repair his patella tendon, missing several practices before returning on a limited basis Tuesday.

And finally, Nick Scurfield on the official Texans site. CLICK LINK (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Texans-kick-off-training-camp-with-first-practices-of-2011/3063ff57-121b-4782-836b-f8e1a328211f)

EllisUnit
08-10-2011, 08:47 PM
hmm i thought he had a lot of working videos during the off season, our was that after last season ???

drs23
08-10-2011, 10:27 PM
This was based on tweets by Cushing :

But basically the reports following his surgery did not minimize the injury:

And finally, Nick Scurfield on the official Texans site. CLICK LINK (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Texans-kick-off-training-camp-with-first-practices-of-2011/3063ff57-121b-4782-836b-f8e1a328211f)

Hmm, thanks much Doc. Kinda different from what I remember. Seems as though you're spot on again!

Dammit!

MEGA SWATT
08-11-2011, 12:49 AM
This sucks.:wadepalm:

TheCD
08-11-2011, 11:22 AM

This is interesting for me. When I was a sophomore in high school I was playing basketball and following a normal jump from trying to block a shot, landed on the ground and snapped my patella tendon where it connects to my shin. They had to go in an screw stuff back in on top of repairing soft tissue damage.

It's weird to think that it is such an uncommon injury. But as you have medical knowledge I will say that I do have Osteogenesis Imperfecta (though my type is the kind that causes problems during puberty and then levels off).

gtexan02
08-11-2011, 11:45 AM
(on how ILB Brian Cushing looked today) “It looked like he hadn’t done anything in a long time. He took the individual period. We put him in a red zone period. He got worn out pretty quick. He’s way behind. He missed a great deal of time last year. He’s missed what we’re doing so far this year. We need him. He’s a great player. We’re going to bring him along the right way. He’s got to do his part and work his tail off to get back out here. He’s got a ways to go.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Quotes-Wednesday-practice/e36e5a03-abf2-452a-bfd7-665bd829f923

silvrhand
08-11-2011, 01:29 PM
hate to say it but he's done..

Crushing56
08-11-2011, 01:41 PM
This is so heartbreaking. He was my favorite player by far. But if he plays like a scrub this year he is DEAD to me. Imagine how his little fan who got the cush-hawk will feel? How will his parents explain to him why Cushing sucks so bad now?
It probably doesn't seem like it, but I do still have hope, even if its very VERY little.
PLEASE, Cush, go back to your old dominant self. We need you.