PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Practice Updates - 2011

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

b0ng
08-01-2011, 08:45 AM
I haven't heard any actual TC updates from our local muckrakers but as I get them (or other TT members) I think it would be good to consolidate them here. Remember most of these will probably come from twitter, so check that too.

Playoffs
08-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Sunday was first day of TC, but not on the field until today ... I don't get that?

Seńor Stan
08-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Sunday was first day of TC, but not on the field until today ... I don't get that?

Since the 1st preseason game is Monday night...camp opens today for Texans and Jets...last two teams...

b0ng
08-01-2011, 09:18 AM

Yesterday was check-in, physicals and meetings. This is the first day they are actually hitting the field and whatnot. We can also (hopefully) see Joseph/Manning/Watt/Reed/All the new Defensive playtoys/and a 3-4 alignment.

The updates will happen at some point today you can bet on it.

b0ng
08-01-2011, 09:21 AM
I'm listening to 610 and they are saying Mario looks noticeably skinnier than he did last year. Manning and Joseph can't practice until Aug 4th, same goes for Foster.

Rey
08-01-2011, 09:25 AM
They are saying slaton looked better than Tate. Said Tate looks like a rookie.

b0ng
08-01-2011, 09:26 AM

Also said that he is back down to the weight he played at in 2009.

Errant Hothy
08-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Lance Zierlein
@jharrisfootball says JJ Watt is KILLIING IT at practice today

LZ also reported, as reported to him by John Harris; that Cush is not on the field and Roc Carmichael is a midget.

Seńor Stan
John Harris via Lance Zierlein...

JJ Watt is KILLING IT at practice today!

Rey
They are saying demeco looks excellent. Can't tell he was injured last year.

Rey
08-01-2011, 09:41 AM
I'm listening to 610 and they are saying Mario looks noticeably skinnier than he did last year. Manning and Joseph can't practice until Aug 4th, same goes for Foster.

Yeah they are saying that Mario has really trimmed down.

Brisco_County
08-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Is there any reason to worry about Cush not being out there?

I'm stoked about Watt.

b0ng
08-01-2011, 09:45 AM
They are saying demeco looks excellent. Can't tell he was injured last year.

That is shocking really. I hope CnD can chime in on this subject.

alphajoker
08-01-2011, 09:48 AM
That is shocking really. I hope CnD can chime in on this subject.

Didn't see this posted unless I overlooked it but there is a good write up in
the Chron about this.

http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/2011/08/a-medical-view-of-demeco-ryans-recovery-from-injury/

Errant Hothy
08-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Harris on 1560 now;

- Cushing has a cramp, icing him down as a precaution

- Mario rushed with his hand down in 1-1 drills, rushed from a 2 point all during team drills. Look fluid from standing start

- JJ Watt is strong like ox, and killing guards. Playing next to Mario during team drills

- Tolliver is a big man, and looks like he might have better hands then intially thought.

- Tate is in good shape and looks good.

- Harris looks good in 1-1 drills, looks to be a bit of a risk-taker

- Reed looks good in space, grabbed an INT in pass drills.

gary
08-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Anything about the Warren workout?

Errant Hothy
08-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Anything about the Warren workout?

Not that I heard.

Errant Hothy
08-01-2011, 10:15 AM
AJ on 1560 now.

- says the ankle feels fine, back to normal, practiced without a brace (just tape) and felt fine with it

- noticed that Dickerson has worked on his routes this offseason

- more of the recruiting of JoJo at Fred Bennett's wedding

Nawzer
08-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Good to hear Ryans is doing well, but let's see how he does tomorrow. What time did camp start today and will there be an afternoon workout like around 3pm? I'll be in medical center so it'll take me 5 mins to get to Reliant.

Errant Hothy
08-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Some changes to the structure of TC

Stephanie Stradley
Biggest change in #Texans camp..heat precautions mean second part of TC was indoors until they are used to it. Also stretching post-practice

Stephanie Stradley
Being very careful w/ Texans players coming off inJury. Ryans only indoors. Cushing didn't practice Kubiak says he's "a few days away."

False Start
08-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Demeco fixing to be on 1560 here in a bit.

Wolf
08-01-2011, 10:26 AM
just listening to 610 am who are at practice

sounds like 86 guys in camp today, any new or FA players can't practice till Thurs. when new NFL year is set to begin, all CBA negotiations done.

Cushing apparently still rehabbing for up to 6 more weeks.

:confused: what?
http://www.inthebullseye.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306&page=2

pirbroke
08-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Just wanted to thank all of ya'll posting, I'm offshore and cant get any local radio or tv. So happy the lockout is over, this is the kind of football talk I have been dying for. Thanks.

Playoffs
08-01-2011, 10:29 AM
J Jo is well spoken, handles media well.

Errant Hothy
08-01-2011, 10:29 AM
:confused: what?
http://www.inthebullseye.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306&page=2

That's not how the team is spinning it

Texans LB Brian Cushing (offseason knee surgery) didn't practice today. He said it's precautionary and expects to return in a couple days

Damn it I hate these "who to believe" games.

Brisco_County
08-01-2011, 10:51 AM
That's not how the team is spinning it

Damn it I hate these "who to believe" games.

If Cushing was going to be out for six weeks, that news would've been passed on to the media already.

Playoffs
08-01-2011, 12:16 PM
http://blog.chron.com/nfl/2011/08/monday-aug-1-texans-training-camp-tidbits/

False Start
08-01-2011, 12:21 PM
http://blog.chron.com/nfl/2011/08/monday-aug-1-texans-training-camp-tidbits/

Numbers change: Running back Ben Tate, who missed last season with a broken bone in his foot, has switched to No. 44, the number worn by former fullback Ben Tate. Quarterback Matt Leinart has switched to No. 11, which he wore at USC, where he won the Heisman Trophy and a national championship.

:kubepalm:

alphajoker
08-01-2011, 12:26 PM
New kid on block: When the players broke from their exercises before the morning practice, they were divided into their position groups. As the defensive linemen left one field for another, Antonio Smith yelled at Mario Williams, “Hey, Mario, where are you going?” Williams was with the linebackers, his new position in defensive coordinator Wade Phillips’ 3-4.

Thought this was pretty funny. :)

CloakNNNdagger
08-01-2011, 12:40 PM
RT @NickScurfield He was abusing tackle dummies in drills today RT @RandyMcIlvoy: OLB Mario Williams says he's still 285 lb but leaner.

PapaL
08-01-2011, 12:42 PM
:kubepalm:

He talked about that online the other day. I told him that he couldn't run like a sissy la la and wear #44. Gotta drop a shoulder and truck a fool.

Playoffs
08-01-2011, 01:11 PM
NickScurfield Nick Scurfield
Agreed. Intriguing guy RT @MarshallOelman: WR Lester Jean looks like a beast RT @NickScurfield List of Texans UDFAs: bit.ly/mYyizD
17 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Make that 19 undrafted free agents: http://blog.houstontexans.com/2011/07/31/make-that-19-undrafted-free-agents/

PapaL
08-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Agreed. Intriguing guy RT @MarshallOelman: WR Lester Jean looks like a beast RT @NickScurfield List of Texans UDFAs: bit.ly/mYyizD
17 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Make that 19 undrafted free agents: http://blog.houstontexans.com/2011/07/31/make-that-19-undrafted-free-agents/

I call BS! Not a single TE drafted or signed this year?

76Texan
08-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Just wanted to thank all of ya'll posting, I'm offshore and cant get any local radio or tv. So happy the lockout is over, this is the kind of football talk I have been dying for. Thanks.

Yeah, I like to get everything from here!
:fans:

76Texan
08-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Demeco fixing to be on 1560 here in a bit.

Anything new there?

houstonspartan
08-01-2011, 01:25 PM
J Jo is well spoken, handles media well.

What were you expecting?

76Texan
08-01-2011, 01:30 PM
RT @NickScurfield He was abusing tackle dummies in drills today RT @RandyMcIlvoy: OLB Mario Williams says he's still 285 lb but leaner.

Good to hear.
We need him to stay healthy!

The Pencil Neck
08-01-2011, 01:32 PM
I call BS! Not a single TE drafted or signed this year?

IIRC, Bartlett was listed as both a FB and a TE.

Playoffs
08-01-2011, 01:49 PM
What were you expecting?I read somewhere that he was a "bad boy", so I was expecting a thug type. Didn't come off that way at all.

@BrandonHarrison Hard to glean much since they're in shorts, but he definitely looks the part. I'll have a blog post on him this afternoon

Coach's son.

alphajoker
08-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Pics from this morning's practice.

http://www.chron.com/sports/photogallery/2011_Texans_Training_Camp.html

Brisco_County
08-01-2011, 01:51 PM
@BrandonHarrison Hard to glean much since they're in shorts, but he definitely looks the part. I'll have a blog post on him this afternoon

Playoffs
08-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Standing up:

http://images.chron.com/photos/2011/08/01/27312939/600xPopupGallery.jpg

Rey
08-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Standing up:

I think it's Brooks Reed the fourth guy down the line. But he looks the most natural.

SheTexan
08-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Damn!! I'm excited!! Can't wait til Sat gets here!

THANKS to all you guys for posting stuff! Some of us don't "twitt." :spin:

76Texan
08-01-2011, 02:19 PM

Brandon Harrison's back?

IBleedTexans
08-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Brandon Harrison's back?

I think they might be talking about brandon Harris

gary
08-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Should be some very tough roster cuts this year.

GP
08-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Interesting....

@KareemJackson KJ fell down on ropes drill. Fell down at water station. Has been given snowshoes by Wade Phillips.

gary
08-01-2011, 02:37 PM
One more fee agent CB would be signed if I were Rick Smith.

Playoffs
08-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Viddy: http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Texans-Daily-Monday-AM-practice/8c0a159a-ac66-4938-be03-d6ce19264473

Honoring Earl 34
08-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Interesting....

He would be a great euro striker

Playoffs
08-01-2011, 02:45 PM
http://prod.static.texans.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2011/08-August/JosephManning--nfl_medium_540_360.JPGJJo,Manning
http://prod.static.texans.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2011/08-August/Toliver--nfl_medium_540_360.JPGTerrence Toliver
http://prod.static.texans.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2011/08-August/Watt--nfl_medium_540_360.JPGWatt

Ole Miss Texan
08-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Standing up:

What's Andre Johnson doing lining up with the linebackers? Oh snap that's Mario!? Lean mean QB eating machine!!

gary
08-01-2011, 03:34 PM
What's Andre Johnson doing lining up with the linebackers? Oh snap that's Mario!? Lean mean QB eating machine!!Hopefully that makes him quicker.

El Tejano
08-01-2011, 03:38 PM
And today marks the beginning of our annual "So and so is getting beat in that pic. We need to cut him and replace him" posts!

GP
08-01-2011, 04:00 PM
And today marks the beginning of our annual "So and so is getting beat in that pic. We need to cut him and replace him" posts!

This is what happens:

We are so starved for football by this point, that we over-analyze every photo or video that we see. This last about the first 4 or 5 days, max.

After that, people stop trying to read into everything. Because it's too hard to keep up with the daily grind of it all. By the time we reach day 6, 7, 8, and so on and so forth, everything begins to become stale and repetitive.

You can only analyze so many mundane drills for so long.

My early observations, though:

1. Mario is carrying less weight. Unless I am incorrect, when you carry less weight you can gain some stamina and are able to recover and sustain periods of all-out activity better. You're body is sending less blood to muscles, since the muscles are not bulky and not requiring as much oxygenated blood to keep up with the demands and rigors of all-out action. In short: A leaner Mario means a faster Mario, which is what Wade probably wants if Mario is to be a LB role in this 3-4 defense.

2. Brooks Reed made an interception today. That's good news. Our LBs have got to increase their awareness and be more willing to get that football when they can. On day 1, Brooks Reed is finding a way to contribute.

3. DeMeco is active. He's not on a bike. He's not standing around. He's running through drills inside the bubble, and he looked good at quarter speed. I hope he can come back at even 80% of his original effectiveness.

-------------

In terms of the photos, this is what I see:

A. Wade Phillips is barking out commands and pointing things out, and in a pic or two he's smiling and looks good in Texans gear. I don't think we understand yet what an impact he's going to have this year. I have a really good feeling, but mostly because he's been given two premiere DBs to work with--He can guide them, but spend most his time on the rooks and 2nd-year guys that need his help the most.

B. Barwin looks good! He's what Babin should have been, and I think he comes out like gang busters this year. Big time.

C. JJ Watt is leaning HARD into his man, getting up under the pads and really driving with his legs. That photo looks awesome.

Overall, very pleased with what I am seeing. Just ready to see more.

fiasco west
08-01-2011, 04:32 PM
DeMeco (Ryans) went through the whole practice because of what we’re doing. I think if we had been out there today two hours or two hours and 15 minutes full-go, we would have had to pull him off at some point.

Looks like DeMeco is being Demeco. The only way he comes out is if you take him out.

I'm really excited about this season, especially that I hear JJ Watt is doing great.

Texans_Chick
08-01-2011, 04:45 PM
From my blog:

http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/2011/08/texans-training-camp-is-a-little-different-this-year/

Got credentialed through Houston Chronicle online this year. Thank you for everyone who comes by the blog and provided the traffic numbers that made that possible. This is the first year I've been credentialed through them. I hope that more online writers can get credentialed in the future, and I have tried to work with the Texans and the NFL to increase timely information to fans.

If you have any questions, please put them over there. I tried to answer questions in my Twitter feed, and I got a lot of repetitive questions and then my phone ran out of juice. Ha. I'm going to try to go to as many practices as I can this week. I think I need a clone or something.

Spent most of my drill time watching corners/WRs. Hoping to spend more time watching Dline and LBs next.

GP
08-01-2011, 04:54 PM
From my blog:

http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/2011/08/texans-training-camp-is-a-little-different-this-year/

Got credentialed through Houston Chronicle online this year. Thank you for everyone who comes by the blog and provided the traffic numbers that made that possible. This is the first year I've been credentialed through them. I hope that more online writers can get credentialed in the future, and I have tried to work with the Texans and the NFL to increase timely information to fans.

If you have any questions, please put them over there. I tried to answer questions in my Twitter feed, and I got a lot of repetitive questions and then my phone ran out of juice. Ha. I'm going to try to go to as many practices as I can this week. I think I need a clone or something.

Spent most of my drill time watching corners/WRs. Hoping to spend more time watching Dline and LBs next.

Probably because the Chronicle, though they would never admit it, knows you're providing more meat than the gristle and fat that unnamed Chronicle reporters are offering in camps every year.

In short: Your stuff is getting lots of hits and they'd be dumb to NOT get you credentialed and into the training camp scene.

Let's face it: Old media (newspapers) didn't have to provide minute-by-minute, blow-by-blow updates like we have now with cell phone and social application widgets like Twitter and facebook. The old media reporters would stand out at camp, write down a few thoughts, and be done with it.

Now? People like Steph can go watch a practice and then leave the place and tweet and blog and have unlimited space to write her analysis.

Social media frustrates the old media diehards who crave the days of writing down their thoughts on a pad, head back to the desk, crank out a column, and then be done for the day. They got their cheese moved, and they can't find it.

So I'm really REALLY glad that someone--one of OURS--got credentialed and is inside the mother ship, so to speak. You deserve it. I don't know what your lawyering gig pays, but damn you'd make a helluva' football reporter Steph.

Going to your blog RIGHT NOW!

GP
08-01-2011, 05:01 PM
I can't get through all of Steph's blog because I keep reading her Twitter feed off to the right side of the blog website page! LOL.

Here's a brand new tweet from Steph:

StephStradley RT @MJ4Sports: Texans DB coach Vance Joseph told me Jonathan Joseph was his highest graded free agent corner as in higher than Nnamdi. Full interview Tmrrw

pirbroke
08-01-2011, 05:07 PM
From my blog:

you are the main reason I hit the Blog section at the top of the chronicle. The other writers seem to be all the same, but if I read one of your articles I don't need to see the top on who wrote it, I can till by the contents of the story itself. If your trying to rise to the top stick with the way your doing it, don't look how the others are writing and try to change your style. I hope to be reading yours on the front page soon, you deserve and earned it. Good Luckl and thanks for the reports.

Texans_Chick
08-01-2011, 05:15 PM
you are the main reason I hit the Blog section at the top of the chronicle. The other writers seem to be all the same, but if I read one of your articles I don't need to see the top on who wrote it, I can till by the contents of the story itself. If your trying to rise to the top stick with the way your doing it, don't look how the others are writing and try to change your style. I hope to be reading yours on the front page soon, you deserve and earned it. Good Luckl and thanks for the reports.

Thank you.

Like players, everybody has their own style, strengths and weaknesses. The blog is always a work in progress, but the best thing that I have going for me is that I care.

b0ng
08-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Congrats. Here's some stuff that's encouraging

Aug. 01, 2011 1:19 p.m. - by Brandon Williams - Mario Williams looks good at LB
If the opening day of practice is an indication, Mario Williams' conversion to OLB will be bad news for the AFC Central. The 6-6, 285-pounder looked surprisingly comfortable on the edge while retaining the quickness and speed that made him a two-time Pro Bowler at DE. The Texans think Williams can eclipse his career high of 14 sacks, set in 2007. Texans RapidReports

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15383599

drs23
08-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Congrats. Here's some stuff that's encouraging

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15383599

AFC Central you say? Must have slept through the realignment...:fingergun:

Surreal McCoy
08-01-2011, 05:43 PM
...but the best thing that I have going for me is that I care.

I would disagree with that statement as I believe you consistently offer incisive knowledge of football, both the business and game, and can put those sentiments across in a non-confrontational manner. I don't want to name any names, but Justice and Solomon could learn an extraordinary amount from people like you and Lance.

Long may it continue.

Texans_Chick
08-01-2011, 06:00 PM
I would disagree with that statement as I believe you consistently offer incisive knowledge of football, both the business and game, and can put those sentiments across in a non-confrontational manner. I don't want to name any names, but Justice and Solomon could learn an extraordinary amount from people like you and Lance.

Long may it continue.

Thank you.

As for non-confrontational, my personal guidelines are that 1. I don't want to say anything I wouldn't say to someone's face because I think that is cowardly, unnecessary and I wouldn't want people to do that to me. 2. I think in sports talk radio in particular, I get a sense that some hosts take too much glee in being nasty about the failings of others. I don't like listening to that, and I don't like participating in that whether in sport or in life.

Also, I have a general bias that it is much easier to criticize something than it is to be in the process of building something. I've built successful things in my life and have participated in failures. Building, creating, problem solving is always harder than criticizing. That doesn't mean I don't or can't criticize but if it is being done, I think it is more effective if it is based on reasoning that is shown and isn't overly, unnecessarily personal and speculative.

In any event, thanks for the kind words. That sort of support helps when there's a blank screen in front of me, and I'm trying to figure out what to write. I wish I could do more but life intervenes.

Texans_Chick
08-01-2011, 06:16 PM
BTW, there's a Twitter feed that few people follow that (so far) gets you quote sheets faster than other ways:

http://twitter.com/#!/TexansPR

This is new.

Also, if you aren't already on Twitter and you are a football fan, you should be. If you haven't experienced a football season on Twitter, you are missing out because it is fun and that's where the breaking news is.

You don't have to say anything like what you had for lunch, but it is a way to contact people that you might not chat with otherwise.

Think of it like a cell phone. Only follow folks you are interested in hearing from.

Wolf
08-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Houston Texans - @AntonioSmith94 joked today about rookie @JJWatt: "He can carry a lot of pads on that back. We can gather about 20 stacks of pads on him." 08-01

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/18/nfl/houston-texans#ixzz1TpCN97N8

Kaiser Toro
08-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Viddy: http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Texans-Daily-Monday-AM-practice/8c0a159a-ac66-4938-be03-d6ce19264473

Do it, you know?

Thanks for sharing.

RT22
08-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Conner Barwin said he weighed in at 270 lbs the most of his life.

Wolf
08-01-2011, 07:52 PM
3-4 Adjustments on 1st Day (1:38)
After the first day of training camp concluded, defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, defensive end Antonio Smith and rookie corner Brandon Harris discussed the 3-4 and how the transition is working.

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Texans-Daily-Monday-AM-practice/8c0a159a-ac66-4938-be03-d6ce19264473#?id=2810b2ae-2831-4aa9-84e7-87c680005384&channelName=Recent

GP
08-01-2011, 09:20 PM
BTW, there's a Twitter feed that few people follow that (so far) gets you quote sheets faster than other ways:

Duly noted. And am now following it.

Brisco_County
08-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Other than Brooks Reed, I think Brandon Harris is going to be a breakout star.

GlassHalfFull
08-02-2011, 12:20 AM
Conner Barwin said he weighed in at 270 lbs the most of his life.

His mother has my sympathy.

80tothezone
08-02-2011, 03:04 AM
Got to love andre.... best receiver in the league still talking about getting better.... awesome attitude. Kinda a little way into the interview.....

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Texans-Daily-Monday-AM-practice/8c0a159a-ac66-4938-be03-d6ce19264473#?id=0820e8f8-ca78-4c5a-a2c1-1fdd804676f5&channelName=Recent

SteveSlaton20
08-02-2011, 03:38 AM
does anyone knows how much weight mario has lost?

Brandon420tx
08-02-2011, 04:30 AM
He said he hasn't lost any he's just trimmer

Seńor Stan
08-02-2011, 07:11 AM

This is new.

Also, if you aren't already on Twitter and you are a football fan, you should be. If you haven't experienced a football season on Twitter, you are missing out because it is fun and that's where the breaking news is.

You don't have to say anything like what you had for lunch, but it is a way to contact people that you might not chat with otherwise.

Think of it like a cell phone. Only follow folks you are interested in hearing from.

Thanks for the link Steph...

I was anti-Twitter for the longest time...I was against anything whose biggest proponent was Ashton Kutcher.

But, it is what you make of it...I follow less than 20 people. I look to be informed or entertained...hopefully both. It made the free agent frenzy a lot more fun.

Errant Hothy
08-02-2011, 08:46 AM
1560 just reported the AJ was just carted off the field at practice.

Doppelganger
08-02-2011, 08:51 AM
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Texans-Daily-Monday-AM-practice/8c0a159a-ac66-4938-be03-d6ce19264473#?id=2810b2ae-2831-4aa9-84e7-87c680005384&channelName=Recent

Why would Brandon Harris be discussing the 3-4 transition? He wasn't here last year.

Doppelganger
08-02-2011, 08:52 AM
1560 just reported the AJ was just carted off the field at practice.

Oh crap. Someone get a hold of Moss' agent.

Errant Hothy
08-02-2011, 08:54 AM
Oh crap. Someone get a hold of Moss' agent.

Thread here:
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83611

Sounds like a hand injury.

NitroGSXR
08-02-2011, 08:55 AM
From my blog:

D'oh... So when will you, McClain, and Anna-Megan be coming out with the newest "Big Bad Schaub" video?

*giggles*

Nah, congratulations! Living the dream! We definitely appreciate your blog and efforts.

Playoffs
08-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Why would Brandon Harris be discussing the 3-4 transition? He wasn't here last year.
Never played in it.

Errant Hothy
08-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Houston Texans
S Glover Quin: "I feel natural (at safety). I feel like that's what I was born to do...Right now I'm actually working at strong safety."

Question is, will he stay there after Manning can join practice?

Rey
08-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Question is, will he stay there after Manning can join practice?

I think so.

Manning said they told him he'd play free when they brought him here.

I think I may actually like that. From everything I've read manning is better when he can sit back and view all the action and use his speed and athleticism to make plays.

Errant Hothy
08-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Nick Scurfield
Rookie QB TJ Yates is running the 2nd & 3rd team offense since M. Leinart can't practice til Thurs. Made big improvements today, per Kubiak

Good for TJ, twice the number of expected reps for four days of training camp can only help.

Section516
08-02-2011, 12:14 PM
S Glover Quin: "I feel natural (at safety). I feel like that's what I was born to do...Right now I'm actually working at strong safety."

beerlover
08-02-2011, 01:49 PM

not that we have to distinguish positions, being interchangeable & all but I've felt all along that Glover is a Strong Safety :chili:

Texans_Chick
08-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Here's my 8/2 AM practice update:

On Andre Johnson’s finger injury, Texans special teams update (http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/2011/08/on-andre-johnsons-finger-injury-texans-special-teams-update/)

I was standing between the fields when AJ jammed his finger. Media wasn't supposed to tweet it because technically this wasn't an open practice (Toro Kids Club folks were there), but I got on 610 mid practice to try to let folks know factually what happened because I saw the alarm on Twitter and wasn't supposed to tweet.

Sorry the pictures in the above link aren't any better but I'm doing the best I can with the resources I have. Could have put up this blog post earlier except my kids killed my laptop last week. The dog, however, did not eat my homework.

Playoffs
08-02-2011, 02:34 PM
^Wow, on the spot pics & everything!

GP
08-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Here's my 8/2 AM practice update:

On Andre Johnson’s finger injury, Texans special teams update (http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/2011/08/on-andre-johnsons-finger-injury-texans-special-teams-update/)

I was standing between the fields when AJ jammed his finger. Media wasn't supposed to tweet it because technically this wasn't an open practice (Toro Kids Club folks were there), but I got on 610 mid practice to try to let folks know factually what happened because I saw the alarm on Twitter and wasn't supposed to tweet.

Sorry the pictures in the above link aren't any better but I'm doing the best I can with the resources I have. Could have put up this blog post earlier except my kids killed my laptop last week. The dog, however, did not eat my homework.

So how do we get your blog app on an iPhone?

Search for TexansChick or something?

GP
08-02-2011, 06:31 PM
On NFLN Total Access at 6:00 CT tonight, between the 25th and about the 30th minute of the 1-hour program, they show actual footage of the incident where AJ's finger was dislocated.

I think it replays tonight at 10:00 pm Central Time. So you can record it and watch it. Like I said: Somewhere between minute 25 and 30 of the 1-hour show.

Carmichael had pretty good coverage, though he was using both hands a lot and sort of hooking AJ as AJ made moves downfield.

drs23
08-02-2011, 07:03 PM
On NFLN Total Access at 6:00 CT tonight, between the 25th and about the 30th minute of the 1-hour program, they show actual footage of the incident where AJ's finger was dislocated.

I think it replays tonight at 10:00 pm Central Time. So you can record it and watch it. Like I said: Somewhere between minute 25 and 30 of the 1-hour show.

Carmichael had pretty good coverage, though he was using both hands a lot and sort of hooking AJ as AJ made moves downfield.

So GP, you're saying Roc's rockin' vet moves already? And on AJ none the less?
Really cool.

Go Roc!

bo orlando
08-02-2011, 08:36 PM
how many years in a row is it that andre's had an injury scare in training camp?

GP
08-02-2011, 10:08 PM
So GP, you're saying Roc's rockin' vet moves already? And on AJ none the less?
Really cool.

Go Roc!

AJ went up field and Carmichael was playing press on him from the beginning of the play. After about 10 yards, AJ swam to the inside and was trying a slant.

Early on, about the first few yards, Carmichael was hand-fighting with AJ and staying with him with what looked like good footwork. But when AJ swam to the inside, Carmichael was about to lose some ground to AJ and so Carmichael started using both hands and forearms and sort of hooking or blocking his core and chest as AJ tried to swim.

It wasn't BAD. Some refs might not even call it on Carmichael, but some refs might feel inclined to do so. The ball glanced off AJ's hands, so that could have made a ref throw a flag--AJ didn't have a chance at the pass because Carmichael had been right there to break it up...but yet Carmichael might not have been there to break it up unless he pushed the envelope right up to when AJ made his inside move.

Hell, Carmichael's coverage looked tighter than anything I have ever seen Kareem Jackson provide.

It's 10:00 right now, you guys can catch it at about 10:25-10:30 CT tonight on NFLN Total Access (if it's a replay from their 6:00 pm show).

The Pencil Neck
08-02-2011, 10:10 PM
AJ went up field and Carmichael was playing press on him from the beginning of the play. After about 10 yards, AJ swam to the inside and was trying a slant.

Early on, about the first few yards, Carmichael was hand-fighting with AJ and staying with him with what looked like good footwork. But when AJ swam to the inside, Carmichael was about to lose some ground to AJ and so Carmichael started using both hands and forearms and sort of hooking or blocking his core and chest as AJ tried to swim.

It wasn't BAD. Some refs might not even call it on Carmichael, but some refs might feel inclined to do so. The ball glanced off AJ's hands, so that could have made a ref throw a flag--AJ didn't have a chance at the pass because Carmichael had been right there to break it up...but yet Carmichael might not have been there to break it up unless he pushed the envelope right up to when AJ made his inside move.

Hell, Carmichael's coverage looked tighter than anything I have ever seen Kareem Jackson provide.

It's 10:00 right now, you guys can catch it at about 10:25-10:30 CT tonight on NFLN Total Access (if it's a replay from their 6:00 pm show).

Some guys might call that interference but he didn't really seem to slow AJ down or re-direct him in anyway... I think that might have been good coverage.

But it's been so long since I've seen good coverage from a Texans DB that I'm really not sure.

A pretty impressive showing for a kid in his 2nd day of practice at the professional level.

GP
08-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Some guys might call that interference but he didn't really seem to slow AJ down or re-direct him in anyway... I think that might have been good coverage.

But it's been so long since I've seen good coverage from a Texans DB that I'm really not sure.

A pretty impressive showing for a kid in his 2nd day of practice at the professional level.

To me, it almost seemed like AJ was on a route and couldn't get free to make the sort of move he wants to make. Because even as the ball was coming at him, you could tell by his body language that he felt he had lost position and didn't have a great shot at that pass.

In short: Carmichael was so tight on him, and stayed with him so long, that it disrupted the pattern a bit.

I'm going to re-watch tonight and see if Carmichael had turned his upper body back toward the QB (which would make his positioning legal since he's facing back upfield and not flailing away with his back to the QB).

gary
08-02-2011, 10:26 PM
I don't have the NFLN.

The Pencil Neck
08-02-2011, 10:27 PM
I don't have the NFLN.

Then you haz a sad.

:cry2:

gary
08-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Then you haz a sad.

:cry2:Looking for GP to post what he sees.

Texans_Chick
08-02-2011, 10:48 PM
So how do we get your blog app on an iPhone?

Search for TexansChick or something?

I have little idea. Need to ask the spouse.

I've noticed that reading the blog on mobile devices looks better since the WordPress redo. Also there is a full RSS feed button on the bottom right of the blog that they added. I don't add the widgets to the blog, but the Twitter feed widget has become handy.

GP
08-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Actually, upon further review....

I think it was pretty good coverage. I don't think Schaub was the QB on that play. Pass was a bit high, not sure if it was the QB, or AJ, or Carmichael disrupting the route ran by AJ.

And there was no hand fighting right at the snap. Carmichael holds off on being handsy until AJ makes his move inside. Then you can see Carmichael's left hand hooking the right elbow of AJ...but then Carmichael turns his head and keeps his head turned to the QB the rest of the way--Which I think would prevent the ref from throwing the flag.

Not too shabby.

I might try to film this and put it up for you guys to see. Should be able to do it in the next hour.

The Pencil Neck
08-02-2011, 10:50 PM

I think it was pretty good coverage. I don't think Schaub was the QB on that play. Pass was a bit high, not sure if it was the QB, or AJ, or Carmichael disrupting the route ran by AJ.

And there was no hand fighting right at the snap. Carmichael holds off on being handsy until AJ makes his move inside. Then you can see Carmichael's left hand hooking the right elbow of AJ...but then Carmichael turns his head and keeps his head turned to the QB the rest of the way--Which I think would prevent the ref from throwing the flag.

Not too shabby.

I might try to film this and put it up for you guys to see. Should be able to do it in the next hour.

It's probably already up on NFL.com somewhere.

The Pencil Neck
08-02-2011, 10:54 PM
It's probably already up on NFL.com somewhere.

Well, no. Didn't find it. Should be up soon, though.

GP
08-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Uploading it now.

Should have a link for you guys in a few minutes.

Thanks to Sony HandyCam Hi-Def camera and iMovie. And me.

edo783
08-02-2011, 11:11 PM

Not too shabby.

Sounds like at least semi-competent DB play. NICE!

GP
08-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Link to video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psGg4CUDbC0)

I am not leaving it up long, so take a gander and enjoy.

Will likely remove it in the morning after you geeks have checked into your offices and browsed your usual content to start your day off.

ObsiWan
08-02-2011, 11:22 PM

Will likely remove it in the morning after you geeks have checked into your offices and browsed your usual content to start your day off.

Defensive holding. Period.

...oh and here's a rep pt for ya
oops; "must spread rep" etc, etc...

GP
08-02-2011, 11:23 PM
By the way, at the end of the normal speed clip...I added a 50% slow motion clip so you can see it better.

GP
08-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Defensive holding. Period.

Boooo! You suck, ref!!!!

BOOOO!!!!!

Just kidding.

ObsiWan
08-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Boooo! You suck, ref!!!!

BOOOO!!!!!

Just kidding.

don't make me "yellow card" you
:D

DocBar
08-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson made national headlines on Tuesday morning after leaving practice with a dislocated finger.

In the end, it was much ado about nothing.

“He’s fine,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said after the Texans' Tuesday afternoon practice. “He dislocated his finger, obviously, so we took him to the hospital this morning. He’s back, has it bandaged up and probably is going to miss a day or two of practice until we make sure there’s no infection and it calms down. He’s fine. He’s going to be OK.”

Johnson was injured in the morning when a pass from rookie quarterback T.J. Yates hit the tip of his finger. He attended the Texans’ indoor afternoon practice but did not participate.

“It’ll just be a couple of days, because my bone broke the skin,” Johnson said. “I didn’t have to get any stitches or anything like that. (As) soon as I felt it pop, I felt it out of place and I popped it right back in. I didn’t know the bone had broke the skin until I took my glove off, so I really wasn’t in a lot of pain or anything like that. It was just more concern about the bleeding.”

Johnson chuckled when asked about the stir that his injury caused in the media.

“I heard about that,” he said. “When I got back to the stadium, I was eating lunch and saw it on ESPN that I was carted off the field and stuff like that. I had a lot of text messages and people asking me if I was OK. I’m fine; it's just a finger. I’ve played with a bum ankle, so I don’t think a finger will keep me out.”

Free agent update
On Tuesday morning, Kubiak and general manager Rick Smith confirmed that the Texans are pursuing fullback Lawrence Vickers and defensive end Ty Warren. Kubiak was asked for an update on the two free agents in the afternoon.

“Vickers is here,” Kubiak said. “We had him here today, and he visited with me at lunch and visited with Rick. As we came out to practice, we were talking to him. He’s a good player. There are other people talking to him, but we have some interest in him, so we’ll see.

“Ty Warren, same thing. It’s our understanding that he’s making a trip as we speak. I think he’s in Kansas City, but we have interest in Ty. I actually talked to him at lunch today too, so we’ll see how it goes.”

Health check
Inside linebacker Brian Cushing sat out of Tuesday's morning practice but was a full participant in the afternoon walkthrough inside the Methodist Training Center. Cushing, who’s still on the mend from offseason knee surgery, followed the same schedule on Monday.

“Brian’s taking all the walkthrough sessions right now,” Kubiak said. “He’s a few days away. I’ll just have to let you know day-to-day. He’s the one guy that we had that wasn’t quite ready to go on the field, so we’re just trying to take our time.”

Cushing, Johnson and a host of other players missed time on Tuesday.

“Like I tell the players all the time, you’re one play away from getting a chance to be a starter in this league,” Kubiak said. “(Dorin) Dickerson worked as a starter today. Jason Allen got sick. (Sherrick) McManis worked as a starter today. Wade Smith got sick on us last night. We’ve got a little bug going around. Shelley Smith is starting at left guard. That’s the NFL. We’ll go back and see how they did, but it was a great opportunity for those guys today.”

Quotable
“I feel better. I feel natural back there. I just feel like that’s what I was born to do.”
-FS Glover Quin, on his transition from cornerback to safety

"I'm able to see things that I wasn't seeing last year. The game's kind of slowed down for me. Once we break out of the huddle, I'm taking things into consideration and I'm seeing things a lot more. So it's slowed down a lot for me."LINK (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Johnson-fine-expected-to-miss-only-1-2-days/28c10569-5802-40a3-8fb9-f7e956b068ea)

GP
08-02-2011, 11:38 PM
don't make me "yellow card" you
:D

(Slinks away with sour look on my face, flipping you the bird where you can't see me do it)

OK.

Rey
08-02-2011, 11:38 PM
He said mcmannis was running with the ones. Are they trying him at safety? Hmmmmm.

GP
08-02-2011, 11:39 PM
He said mcmannis was running with the ones. Are they trying him at safety? Hmmmmm.

Isn't he tiny? Or am I mistaken?

I guess I think all Irishmen are wee little men. :finnegan:

Rey
08-02-2011, 11:43 PM

I'm going to rep you for that when I am not on my phone. If the system let's me.

But on the play. . .he didn't need to hold there. I though he was in good position. I like the fact that our corners are playing up on the receivers though.

That's a call that he may or may not be able to get away with in the heat of a game.

Not a whole lot can be gathered from that play though. It was a pretty obvious route. Gonna be a whole lot different when the real bullets start firing.

Rey
08-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Isn't he tiny? Or am I mistaken?

I guess I think all Irishmen are wee little men. :finnegan:

I dunno, but they need to sign vickers.

Brisco_County
08-02-2011, 11:50 PM
I'm more interested in seeing Brandon Harris playing with the starters.

I'm a little disappointed in the coverage of the second day of camp. I know the Andre injury is important, but that doesn't mean it has to be the only news to report.

dsorc
08-03-2011, 06:57 AM
Specifically, he said McMannis was running with the ones only after Jason Allen got sick. That would make him 4th on the depth chart: Joseph (out until league year starts), Jackson, Allen(who was sick), McMannis.

Playoffs
08-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Andre is participating in drills with WRs w/out helmut/pads.

drs23
08-03-2011, 08:57 AM
Thanks for posting that GP. He might have hooked AJ a little bit but Roc was playing him tight and looking back. I think he looked dadgum good for day 2 but like Rey said, may be a little different in real time when the bullets are live.

b0ng
08-03-2011, 08:59 AM
PriscoCBS Pete Prisco
JJ Watt already a starter for Texans' defense at left end. The coaches already love the way he picks things up.

This was tweeted Aug 1st, but I didn't see it posted here. I pray to god that they aren't just handing Watt the job because they got rid of his competition and they have no back up plan.

http://www.click2houston.com/video/28746646/index.html

Rey
08-03-2011, 09:14 AM
This was tweeted Aug 1st, but I didn't see it posted here. I pray to god that they aren't just handing Watt the job because they got rid of his competition and they have no back up plan.

http://www.click2houston.com/video/28746646/index.html

No. He has the job because hes the best we have.

Who do you think should have a fair chance to take his spot from him?

Rey
08-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Specifically, he said McMannis was running with the ones only after Jason Allen got sick. That would make him 4th on the depth chart: Joseph (out until league year starts), Jackson, Allen(who was sick), McMannis.

He was playing safety.

So was Allen. Looks like mcmannis is third on the depth chart at Fs.

I don't know exactly what they are doing but it seems as if those guys are safeties now.

b0ng
08-03-2011, 09:23 AM
No. He has the job because hes the best we have.

Who do you think should have a fair chance to take his spot from him?

There is almost nobody behind him that would warrant having a shot as a starter which I think is the problem.

It's just a thought, I mean we did hand KJax the job last season because we literally had nobody else until we picked up Jason Allen. I have more faith in Watt as a starter as you can see that happen with DL players much more often with success than you see with DB's but still, just a thought that I had.

Rey
08-03-2011, 09:29 AM
There is almost nobody behind him that would warrant having a shot as a starter which I think is the problem.

It's just a thought, I mean we did hand KJax the job last season because we literally had nobody else until we picked up Jason Allen. I have more faith in Watt as a starter as you can see that happen with DL players much more often with success than you see with DB's but still, just a thought that I had.

At this point, there is no one that they could bring in that would start over watts. But I get what you are saying.

With Kareem last year I think they had opportunities to have better players at the position, but they dropped the ball.

I can't think of many ways that they could have realistically challenged watts. Ty Warren was too costly. They could have gone after a FA, but that would have taken away from manning and Joseph.

b0ng
08-03-2011, 09:37 AM
At this point, there is no one that they could bring in that would start over watts. But I get what you are saying.

With Kareem last year I think they had opportunities to have better players at the position, but they dropped the ball.

I can't think of many ways that they could have realistically challenged watts. Ty Warren was too costly. They could have gone after a FA, but that would have taken away from manning and Joseph.

It's pretty much true, there's not that much FA 5-techs on the market really to challenge him, and especially none that I would want in place of new secondary pieces. I'm not going to say that cutting Okoye was the wrong move because he was making too much money and it's doubtful he would've been more productive in that spot than Watt, but just hearing that he was basically starting with the 1's as soon as he inked his contract gives me stomach cramps.

If Ty Warren was serious about vet minimum that would've been a fantastic sign to make sure that if Watt needs more learning time he would get it without being a hole in the defense.

Playoffs
08-03-2011, 10:15 AM
610 guys saying Cushing looks to be still "favoring" his knee.

Playoffs
08-03-2011, 10:21 AM
McClain_on_NFL John McClain
Texans have agreed on a two- year contract witn FB Lawrence Vickers.

76Texan
08-03-2011, 10:21 AM

The Texans needed a vet CB last year to start over McCain.
That would have allowed Quin and Jackson to split time at the beginning of the season while Jackson learns the trade (additionally, one of them can play some nickel.)
McCain can give them a breather now and then and also play the dime.

The weak link was McCain, and he was promptly replaced when the Texans picked up Allen.

76Texan
08-03-2011, 10:22 AM
McClain_on_NFL John McClain
Texans have agreed on a two- year contract witn FB Lawrence Vickers.

Good news.

Playoffs
08-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Ben Tate has been working as the 4th RB so far in camp. Kubiak: "It's a very competitive situation."

76Texan
08-03-2011, 10:49 AM
He was playing safety.

So was Allen. Looks like mcmannis is third on the depth chart at Fs.

I don't know exactly what they are doing but it seems as if those guys are safeties now.

It's weird to hear Vance Joseph talk about Allen play CB for the whole year and now they're running him at safety???

How does that help him?
What the heck is their plan?

b0ng
08-03-2011, 10:50 AM
It's weird to hear Vance Joseph talk about Allen play CB for the whole year and now they're running him at safety???

How does that help him?
What the heck is their plan?

First few days of camp they could be trying out different stuff to see what sticks while they wait on JoJo and Manning to come in and practice tommorrow.

****, it's not like the safety play was all that last year so if they are trying to see if any of the guys that were on the roster last year have any value ANYWHERE in the secondary I ain't complainin.

The Pencil Neck
08-03-2011, 10:54 AM

Last year was like the WORST year for CBs in FA. It was Leigh Bodden, Dunta Robinson, and Phillip Buchanon and a bunch of RFAs. I think Smithiak made the mistake of thinking that they could lure Bodden away and didn't really have a plan B.

Even though I didn't think Dunta was worth the money, in hindsight I think the only other option we had was to franchise Dunta again and I think Dunta might have had a bad season out of spite if they had done that.

Jason Allen off the street was probably the best move they had after:
1) Not franchising Dunta
2) Not getting Bodden

Rey
08-03-2011, 10:56 AM
The Texans needed a vet CB last year to start over McCain.
That would have allowed Quin and Jackson to split time at the beginning of the season while Jackson learns the trade (additionally, one of them can play some nickel.)
McCain can give them a breather now and then and also play the dime.

The weak link was McCain, and he was promptly replaced when the Texans picked up Allen.

All of the corners had less than stellar years. They needed a veteran to replace kj so he didn't have to start out the box.

If I'm not mistaken Allen also took reps away from kj towards the end of the season.

76Texan
08-03-2011, 10:59 AM
First few days of camp they could be trying out different stuff to see what sticks while they wait on JoJo and Manning to come in and practice tommorrow.

****, it's not like the safety play was all that last year so if they are trying to see if any of the guys that were on the roster last year have any value ANYWHERE in the secondary I ain't complainin.

Allen has played safety already for the Dolphins.
If they want to see options at safety then they need to watch the other guys like McMannis for example.
If they have long term plan for Allen at CB, why bother having him at safety in camp?

Rey
08-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Last year was like the WORST year for CBs in FA. It was Leigh Bodden, Dunta Robinson, and Phillip Buchanon and a bunch of RFAs. I think Smithiak made the mistake of thinking that they could lure Bodden away and didn't really have a plan B.

Even though I didn't think Dunta was worth the money, in hindsight I think the only other option we had was to franchise Dunta again and I think Dunta might have had a bad season out of spite if they had done that.

1) Not franchising Dunta
2) Not getting Bodden

Dunta said he didn't mind being franchised again.

But that wasn't even their only option. As bad as Fred Bennett and reeves played, they would have been better options than McCain and Jackson were last year.

The texans had options. They weren't forced to go with the kiddie corners.

But I don't wanna get on the whole "the safeties failed kj" thing because I'm not buying it and I'm sure you guys are firm in your position. These were the same safeties as the year prior so if they failed kj and made him look worse than he was, then they failed every other corner and made them look worse too.

b0ng
08-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Allen has played safety already for the Dolphins.
If they want to see options at safety then they need to watch the other guys like McMannis for example.
If they have long term plan for Allen at CB, why bother having him at safety in camp?

Are you as upset about this particular thing as you are making it out to be on this board or are you embellishing your feelings a little bit? If they want to see, with their own eyes, if a guy who was a 1st round pick that was cast off by the Dolphins can play safety for the Texans then more power to them. These are brand new eyes on our secondary and coaching them up and I don't think it should be that upsetting they are putting Allen as a S in the system for some reps here and there while they don't even have their full secondary participating in drills.

Relax man, 420 smoke lobster everyday.

76Texan
08-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Are you as upset about this particular thing as you are making it out to be on this board or are you embellishing your feelings a little bit? If they want to see, with their own eyes, if a guy who was a 1st round pick that was cast off by the Dolphins can play safety for the Texans then more power to them. These are brand new eyes on our secondary and coaching them up and I don't think it should be that upsetting they are putting Allen as a S in the system for some reps here and there while they don't even have their full secondary participating in drills.

No, I am not upset.
If anybody is upset, it would be someone who likes to see Allen at CB!

Personally, I realized that Allen can be an option at safety.
So why would I be upset?!? :smiliedance:

michaelm
08-03-2011, 11:14 AM

Yeah, but IIRC, the team has indicated that they think part of his problem was that he was moved back and forth between safety and CB in the past, and they wanted to see what he could do if he only had to play at corner.
Him practicing at safety at all is contrary to what they have said about him.
Don't have any links to back this up right now, and no time to dig anything up at the moment.

The Pencil Neck
08-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Yeah, but IIRC, the team has indicated that they think part of his problem was that he was moved back and forth between safety and CB in the past, and they wanted to see what he could do if he only had to play at corner.
Him practicing at safety at all is contrary to what they have said about him.
Don't have any links to back this up right now, and no time to dig anything up at the moment.

I think JASON said that, not the coaches. I could be wrong about that, though.

michaelm
08-03-2011, 11:16 AM

You could be right.
It wouldn't be the first time I had my wires crossed. :)

b0ng
08-03-2011, 11:21 AM
I look at Jason Allen like I'm sure the Bears are looking at Amobi Okoye right now. We will practice him wherever we want, and if he does decently enough he's got a spot.

Now with Allen the Texans are probably trying to see if he's going to be a starter like last year, or if they have enough promise and potential behind him that he might have to find a different spot in order to get on the field. Who is our depth behind Quinn and Manning at the safety spots, Troy Nolan and . . . is Dominique Barber still on the team?

My guess is, much like the Dolphins have discovered and fans that watched him play last year, the Texans don't think Jason Allen is that great of a CB.

76Texan
08-03-2011, 11:22 AM
All of the corners had less than stellar years. They needed a veteran to replace kj so he didn't have to start out the box.

In that case, they needed two veterans, not one!

I preferred that the Texans don't give a CB a starting role right off the bat.

If they really need to, they need to either:

(1) play cover 2 so they can protect the young corner.
Llike Manning did for the Bears - I watched a few more of his games, and in one of them, Collingsworth remarked that the Bears are not built to have corners on an island.
Or like what the Pats did for McCourty.

(2) have at least a veteran on the other side who would see more one-on-one action while a safety can help out the rookie in coverages other than cover 2.

Another way to play a rookie is how the Browns used Haden.
They started him out in the nickel.
When he played CB (in the early games), they gave him one task on any given play; whether to blitz, to play the run, or to drop back in coverage (without having to worry about the run).
They didn't ask the rookie to take on a full plate in the early stage of his career.

76Texan
08-03-2011, 11:26 AM

It was Vance Joseph who said that he can't wait to see Allen play a full season at CB!

76Texan
08-03-2011, 11:28 AM
I look at Jason Allen like I'm sure the Bears are looking at Amobi Okoye right now. We will practice him wherever we want, and if he does decently enough he's got a spot.

Now with Allen the Texans are probably trying to see if he's going to be a starter like last year, or if they have enough promise and potential behind him that he might have to find a different spot in order to get on the field. Who is our depth behind Quinn and Manning at the safety spots, Troy Nolan and . . . is Dominique Barber still on the team?

My guess is, much like the Dolphins have discovered and fans that watched him play last year, the Texans don't think Jason Allen is that great of a CB.

This I can agree with!

Rey
08-03-2011, 11:31 AM
In that case, they needed two veterans, not one!

I preferred that the Texans don't give a CB a starting role right off the bat.

If they really need to, they need to either:

(1) play cover 2 so they can protect the young corner.
Llike Manning did for the Bears - I watched a few more of his game, and in one of them, Collingsworth remarked that the Bears are not built to have corners on an island.
Or like what the Pats did for McCourty.

(2) have at least a veteran on the other side who would see more one-on-one action while a safety can help out the rookie in coverages other than cover 2.

Another way to play a rookie is how the Browns used Haden.
They started him out in the nickel.
They gave him one task on any given play; whether to blitz, to play the run, or to drop back in coverage (without having to worry about the run).
They didn't ask the rookie to take on a full plate in the early stage of his career.

One vet starter would have pushed everyone down the depth chart a peg.

It means nothing right now and I will not fully form an opinion until I see some pre season action, but ive heard from a few different sources that kjax is sucking at practice.

Now let me say this. I fully expected Kareem to be the starter opposite Joseph. Maybe a bit naive on my part, but I thought he would play well in that role with those safeties behind him.

If k jax isn't getting it done that scares me a bit.

Again, getting roasted in practice does not say as much as getting roasted in the games.

I want to see how he really looks in a game situation before I panic.

76Texan
08-03-2011, 11:34 AM

1) Not franchising Dunta
2) Not getting Bodden

^^^

This!

powda
08-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Personally, I realized that Allen can be an option at safety.
So why would I be upset?!? :smiliedance:

Allen showed hands and a knack for interceptions last year. He has better production on the ball and probably superior range to Quin ,BUT his tackling isnt as strong. I think he'd make a solid free safety.

I keep waiting to see if Mcmannis gets a shot at safety cause hes going to get lost in the shuffle at cb.

michaelm
08-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Lol.

Fantasy_Guru: Hells no. RT @GypsySodMay: Will Arian foster be a bust??
Original Tweet: http://twitter.com/Fantasy_Guru/statuses/98794154473164800

BTW, I'm not exactly a Twitter person, but it is WELL worth it to sign up, and download a free Twitter app, like the official one or Tweet Deck which I use.
If you follow the right NFL related tweeters you get all kinds of NFL info.
I'm at my computer all day, so I am pretty up to speed these days.
Tweet Deck has a little pop up that shows you the latest tweet for a second, then disappears.
It's a good use of technology for me, personally.

76Texan
08-03-2011, 11:49 AM

It means nothing right now and I will not fully form an opinion until I see some pre season action, but ive heard from a few different sources that kjax is sucking at practice.

Now let me say this. I fully expected Kareem to be the starter opposite Joseph. Maybe a bit naive on my part, but I thought he would play well in that role with those safeties behind him.

Again, getting roasted in practice does not say as much as getting roasted in the games.

I want to see how he really looks in a game situation before I panic.Being a skeptic yourself, I'm sure you realize that there are a quite a few doubters out there (including many in the sports radio talk scene.)

I've watched a few more of Jonathan's games (9 total) and I don't expect him to be a shutdown corner (I actually think we overpay for him a little bit, just a little. But it's better than paying Dunta that money.)

I've also watched a few more Bears game (7 total.)
Manning is a guy that could have made a difference had he been with the Texans last year.
I think he and Quin (or Allen) will make the coverage look better overall.

Dutchrudder
08-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Lol.

BTW, I'm not exactly a Twitter person, but it is WELL worth it to sign up, and download a free Twitter app, like the official one or Tweet Deck which I use.
Tweet Deck has a little pop up that shows you the latest tweet for a second, then disappears.

I use Echofone on my iPhone. It gets the job done.

76Texan
08-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Allen showed hands and a knack for interceptions last year. He has better production on the ball and probably superior range to Quin ,BUT his tackling isnt as strong. I think he'd make a solid free safety.

I keep waiting to see if Mcmannis gets a shot at safety cause hes going to get lost in the shuffle at cb.

I like McMannis, but I think he might get lost in the shuffle at either position.
It's probably best for him to just keep working and to bide his time.

The Pencil Neck
08-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Lol.

Must spread rep.

I had stopped using twitter but I added TweetDeck and I like it.

El Tejano
08-03-2011, 12:08 PM
One thing I noticed when they showed the practice where Andre hurt his hand yesterday, was how well he was covered by #36 Roc Carmichael. Stride for stride and even disrupted the play.

The Pencil Neck
08-03-2011, 12:23 PM
One thing I noticed when they showed the practice where Andre hurt his hand yesterday, was how well he was covered by #36 Roc Carmichael. Stride for stride and even disrupted the play.

Yeah, we were talking about that. Granted that wasn't a complicated route or anything but that was pretty good coverage for a guy in his second ever day of training camp.

b0ng
08-03-2011, 12:29 PM

The only problem I have with Carmichael is he's a friggin midget.

gary
08-03-2011, 12:37 PM
The play looks decent to me but you never know what a ref would call or not call. They are all different.

Brisco_County
08-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Nick Scurfield:
Charley Casserly, UH's Kevin Sumlin also at practice today RT @StephStradley: Bum Phillips watched #Texans practice http://bit.ly/o7Rk8E

Wow, Charley Casserly! I love* that guy!

*hate with fiery passion

CloakNNNdagger
08-03-2011, 03:48 PM

I want to see how he really looks in a game situation before I panic.

I personally would not be very encouraged if I saw him getting roasted in practice. I would be scared out of my mind, if he got roasted in preseason games and they still insisted on starting him during the regular season.
This year, my philosophy is FAIL ON YOUR OWN TIME!!

Texans_Chick
08-03-2011, 04:37 PM
My day 3 AM write up:

http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/2011/08/day-3-texans-training-camp-players-media-and-you/

Sorry it's sort of meta. If you have any questions about today stuff, leave those thoughts in the comments. I've been trying to answer questions on Twitter/blog/here and it gets confusing.

DX-TEX
08-03-2011, 04:43 PM
My day 3 AM write up:

http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/2011/08/day-3-texans-training-camp-players-media-and-you/

Sorry it's sort of meta. If you have any questions about today stuff, leave those thoughts in the comments. I've been trying to answer questions on Twitter/blog/here and it gets confusing.

Good write up, Thanks for the insight.

Texan_Bill
08-03-2011, 05:00 PM

Well of course, Tate missed the whole season last year.... :thinking: :user: That's right so did Slaton... Nevermind.

b0ng
08-03-2011, 08:07 PM

I don't know if Steph pimped this entry or not, but the comments section is very good talking about individual players and whatnot, definitely worth a look.

First training camp scuffle possibility goes to Watt vs Winston.

edit:

Houston Texans: Images from Training Camp: During the morning session of the third day of the Houston Texans tra... http://bit.ly/pkwEWM

beerlover
08-04-2011, 01:01 AM
My day 3 AM write up:

Thank you for all you time & effort. My burning question to ask; how is the nose tacke position shaping up? Who is getting the most 1st team reps & is there someone who looks like starter material?

ObsiWan
08-04-2011, 01:44 AM
My day 3 AM write up:

Thanks for your time the effort you put into this. I kinda think it's too early - given we didn't have the usual classroom time (OTAs) - to ask who's shining and who's stumbling.

I think your observations are priceless. Somehow repping you seems totally inadequate but that's all I got.
Thanks again.

Playoffs
08-04-2011, 08:49 AM
1560AM now they're talking about watching live video feed of Texans practice...

Any chance of us seeing that video anywhere???

I wonder what/who the source is?

Playoffs
08-04-2011, 09:40 AM
610 morning notes:

KJ having another bad day today

OD making good play after good play

UDFA Lester Jean getting good notices

Earl Mitchell getting props from Kollar

Ben Tate looking better, catching balls out of the backfield

JGarza #70
08-04-2011, 09:45 AM
pics from this morning's practice.

http://www.chron.com/sports/photogallery/2011_texans_training_camp.html

thanks for the updates!!

alphajoker
08-04-2011, 11:06 AM
1560AM now they're talking about watching live video feed of Texans practice...

Any chance of us seeing that video anywhere???

I wonder what/who the source is?

Wasn't me!

Signed,
Bill Belichick

JCTexan
08-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Isn't today the first day Joseph & Manning get on the field?

The Pencil Neck
08-04-2011, 11:18 AM

This afternoon after the CBA is ratified.

HOU-TEX
08-04-2011, 11:18 AM

Not until 3PM. If the CBA is ratified....again

Errant Hothy
08-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Nick Scurfield
Kubiak said that 2nd-year LB Darryl Sharpton "really flashed" at practice today. He ran the defense in Ryans' place.

Nick Scurfield
Kubiak said that CB Jason Allen also had a "very good day," which included an impressive INT of Matt Schaub in 11-on-11s

Just some notes.

Corrosion
08-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Jackson gets burned twice and Slaton fumbles ..... so much for surprises. :wadepalm:

The Pencil Neck
08-04-2011, 12:19 PM
http://prod.static.texans.clubs.nfl.com/assets/clubimages/mario_hand_placement.jpg

That's two big damned men right there.

Soft, but big.

mussop
08-04-2011, 12:55 PM
I like McMannis, but I think he might get lost in the shuffle at either position.
It's probably best for him to just keep working and to bide his time.

I heard (don't remember where) that mcmannis looked great at CB so far.

Brisco_County
08-04-2011, 01:13 PM
My day 3 AM write up:

Thanks for the updates yesterday. With the new defense and the addition of new players, I knew there had to be more to read about than another report on Andre's finger.

EDIT: Hey, it's my 1000th post! Let's party!

The Pencil Neck
08-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Brandon Harris in pretty good position...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/364207880.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1312483285&Signature=uSfSX3YgmWlw8e7nCVLVcXoJjWo%3D

michaelm
08-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Brandon Harris in pretty good position...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/364207880.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1312483285&Signature=uSfSX3YgmWlw8e7nCVLVcXoJjWo%3D

Good position? Hell, he's defying gravity in that pic!!

Allstar
08-04-2011, 01:58 PM
http://a.yfrog.com/img619/60/1tgcs.jpg

Here's Arian Foster playing on an iPad in Derrick Ward's Locker.

HOU-TEX
08-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread.

The players are voting to ratify(AGAIN!) the CBA right now. They pass it, they practice

SheTexan
08-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread.

The players are voting to ratify(AGAIN!) the CBA right now. They pass it, they practice

GET IT DONE!! I wanna see Joseph and Manning at practice tomorrow morning!!:doot:

Playoffs
08-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Twitter still quiet...

IBleedTexans
08-04-2011, 03:47 PM
It's done according to 610

HOU-TEX
08-04-2011, 03:47 PM
It's done! They has enough votes to ratify. Hanson has said McNabb just took the field. Looks as if everything's a full GO

Errant Hothy
08-04-2011, 03:48 PM
It's done according to 610

Everybody back on the field this afternoon.

Playoffs
08-04-2011, 03:49 PM
We're playing ball.

b0ng
08-04-2011, 03:49 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7683447.html

Sitting earns Smith a ribbing

Antonio Smith wasn’t allowed to practice Thursday morning because of the technicality of his contract being re-done, but that didn’t stop his defensive teammates from busting his chops for standing around during the longest, hottest practice yet of this first week of training camp.

“My boys were on me,” Smith said, laughing. “They were looking at me like, ‘What are you doing over there?’”

Rookie shows fancy footwork

Top draft choice J. J. Watt showed nimble feet on a spin move during the pass-rush drill, earning loud praise from defensive line coach Bill Kollar, who also applauded the work of free-agent rookie Scooter Berry for his intensity. During the same drill, Mario Williams caught Eric Winston not quite ready on one play and blew past him for a “sack,” getting an expletive response from Winston.

Pretty pick by Allen

CB Jason Allen made the defensive play of the morning, picking off a well-thrown Matt Schaub pass on a sideline route. The best catch by a receiver was Derrick Townsel’s grab of a 50-yard bomb thrown by rookie T. J. Yates.

New No. 44

It’s strange seeing the far more slightly built running back Ben Tate wearing departed fullback Vonta Leach’s No. 44. Tate wore 44 in college and asked for it back after Leach signed with Baltimore.

It's looking a lot like football

The Texans conducted an 11-on-11 scrimmage for majority of the morning practice. Although dressed in full-pads, defensive players refrained from tackling running backs and receivers. The first and second teams worked on a healthy balance of running and passing plays from the playbook.

Whistle while they work

Three referees appeared on the field during an 11-on-11 scrimmage for the first time at camp. They monitored the field and blew the whistle for false starts and offsides.

Balancing act

Matt Schaub fired a pass in a tight window between two defenders to tight end Owen Daniels during 11-on-11 drills. Daniels, running a route towards the sideline, nearly lost his balance after stumbling in his steps. As the football came his way, Daniels regained his footing and dove while making the catch.

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7683447.html#ixzz1U5ybSX97

They make JJ Watt sound like the next coming of Howie Long.

The Pencil Neck
08-04-2011, 03:57 PM
We're playing ball.

Jay Glazer --
Gate at Lions practice opened and their 25 guys who couldn't practice came running out to one player yelling, "We're free! We're free!"

b0ng
08-04-2011, 04:46 PM
http://www.battleredblog.com/2011/8/4/2344823/training-camp-day-4

The bf is backed up at work so I'm updating... The majority of practice today was 11v11 scrimmages. Our guys were in full pads, and they even had ref's. Unfortunately, we're not allowed to shoot during the 11v11 parts so I hardly have any pics for yall today but here are a few followed by Koob's post practice interview.

Link to Pics.

(I can't figure out how to post pictures so in the mean time, go to that link above and all days of TC are on there. If you're feeling extra nice, you can like my mag too ;)

Training Camp Day 4- Kubiak Interview

On full pads again tomorrow-

No, I’m coming back in shorts tomorrow so I’m doing everything I can to get the team all on the same spot so when all those guys are actually able to have a physical practice. We’ll come back in shorts tomorrow, have a good practice and go back in pads on Friday. I’m hoping by the end of the week, by Sunday, we’ll have everybody on the same page.

On players that are sitting out-

Demeco, Antonio, and actually Andre they were all part of a restructuring situation from a contract standpoint so they fall into the category of the other 10 or 12 guys right now so they actually can’t do anything until this afternoon or tomorrow morning depending on what happens so that’s why they weren’t practicing. Andre wouldn’t have practiced anyway.

On why he didn’t change the walk through practice to this morning-

No I didn’t because I think there’s a chance that it may not happen. There’s a chance, we’ve been told, as of yesterday that if you have anything to schedule it as late as you could schedule it today and if I pushed everything back then we didn’t get them back then I’d pushed it back for nothing so we’ll catch them up. We’ll stay on schedule here. The guys have had good work and we’ll catch those 10 or 12 up.

On who stood out to him today-

Sharpton really flashed to me today. Demeco was out so he got a chance to run the defensive football team and just watching him, I thought he did a hell of a job. Jason Allen had a very good day. Kinda new guys everyday showing up but I like the way Sharpton stepped in and he got a chance to run a football team.

On how slow all of the contracts and everything are coming together-

I say it’s disappointing. It’s not frustrating, it’s just disappointing because you got 10, 12 guys who are just like “Coach, I want to practice, I want to play.” They want to go, it’s not their fault so I’m not going to get frustrated at them because they can’t go. I’m not going to get frustrated because there’s such good work going on with everybody else so it’s about patience, it’s about being fluid every day. Every day is a different day and when I get them all to the same spot which I feel good about doing here in the next 3 days then I’ll feel good. But there’s nothing anybody can do about it. If I could do something, hell I’d do it but there’s nothing they can either.

On Cushing-

I watched him run today. I think he’s better every day. He’s not ready to come back out here quite yet so we’re being smart with him. Is that this week, is it next week, we don’t know. We’ll see. We’re day to day with him.

Have guys like Jean and Tolliver caught your eye at the receiver spot?-

Yeah, you know what, they really have. They’re big guys. Obviously they’re getting a big opportunity because Andre’s out, Jacoby’s not practicing so we’re basically running with a real young group right now. They both got the body and the athletic ability to play in this league so we’ll see how far they come. Special teams will probably be a big key there. It’s a good group. It’s probably as good of a group of free agent wide receivers we’ve had.

On Kareem Jackson-

He’s doing a good job. He’s just all business but he was all business last year. Kareem comes here every day to work. I think he’s really taken to Vance. Our system that we’re running, that is really what he ran in college so I think he feels very comfortable.

steelbtexan
08-04-2011, 06:11 PM

Yep

Allen has some experience playing S with the Dolphins. He adds more speed to the S position. The S in Wades defense have to be able to cover, hence Allen being given a tryout at S.

Playoffs
08-04-2011, 07:34 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/184072_265229973491514_124189927595520_1262819_713 5122_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/185267_265231043491407_124189927595520_1262828_543 0059_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/185507_265231173491394_124189927595520_1262829_139 6559_n.jpg

gary
08-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Has Barber shown any improvement at safety?

b0ng
08-04-2011, 07:57 PM
MJ4Sports Matt Jackson
Texans fans are going to love JJ Watt. He seems to relish opportunities to break double teams. Arms incredibly active in passing lanes
2 hours ago

I know Matt Jackson isn't really a homer so I'm assuming this is positive.

Rey
08-04-2011, 08:03 PM
I know Matt Jackson isn't really a homer so I'm assuming this is positive.

I expect watt to be an impact player throughout the season. Not surprised he is flashing in practice.

I think he and Mario will compliment each other well.

Texans_Chick
08-05-2011, 06:50 AM
Heading back out this morning. If there's anything you guys want me to find out for y'all, ask me on my Twitter. @StephStradley (I seem to remember a time where Texans Bill couldn't figure that thing out--seems to get it just fine now. :gamer:)

Here's yesterday's:

Texans training camp day 4: Best day yet (http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/2011/08/texans-training-camp-day-4-best-day-yet/)

CloakNNNdagger
08-05-2011, 08:03 AM
Has anyone reported on kick/punt returning? I have heard that Holliday hasn't looked good and Derrick Tounsel has. Can anyone comment on the return question?

IBleedTexans
08-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Can n e one give us updates on what's going on ?

michaelm
08-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Can n e one give us updates on what's going on ?

In my case, I'm "trying" to work and waiting for someone to give me some updates on what's going one.

... eh, probably not the answer you were looking for.

michaelm
08-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Hmmm.

Gary Kubiak will explain after practice what happened to TE Owen Daniels and RB Arian Foster. Daniels went to the dressing room.

Foster may have pulled something. He's on the field but not carrying the ball anymore.

Errant Hothy
08-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Hmmm.

Much, much more concerned about Foster, glad to hear it might just be a pull. I wouldn't be surprised if OD felt a twinge in his knee.

Now I'm going to be nervous till they both get back on the field.

b0ng
08-05-2011, 09:47 AM
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/LIVE-Texans-Training-Camp-AM-practice-Day-5/33a3d976-e63a-4729-88e3-89f4be8aabde#?id=33a3d976-e63a-4729-88e3-89f4be8aabde

supposed to be live at some point soon.

Rey
08-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Heading back out this morning. If there's anything you guys want me to find out for y'all, ask me on my Twitter. @StephStradley (I seem to remember a time where Texans Bill couldn't figure that thing out--seems to get it just fine now. :gamer:)

Here's yesterday's:

Texans training camp day 4: Best day yet (http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/2011/08/texans-training-camp-day-4-best-day-yet/)

My favorite part:

Hulk Wade happened after safety Torri Williams got an interception but was holding it too far from his body. Linebacker coach Reggie Herring was screaming “PUT THE BALL AWAY! PUT THE BALL AWAY! GOTTA WAIT FOR THE HALL OF FAME TO HOLD A BALL LIKE THAT!” Then Wade goes over to Williams who is still holding the ball, has the angry face on, and gives the ball a loud smack.

HOU-TEX
08-05-2011, 10:02 AM

Here's yesterday's:

I like the 2 photos you posted. It appears to be defensive pass interference in both pics.

b0ng
08-05-2011, 10:04 AM
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/LIVE-Texans-Training-Camp-AM-practice-Day-5/33a3d976-e63a-4729-88e3-89f4be8aabde#?id=33a3d976-e63a-4729-88e3-89f4be8aabde

supposed to be live at some point soon.

They are showing live from training camp, I think interviews will happen in a few minutes.

Texans Pride
08-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Hmmm.

Daniels went to the locker room sick with a bug...several players have had it!

great news!

Rey
08-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Mike meltzer on 610:

Kareem didn't look great. Has made some nice plays, but overall is struggling.

Gave up some plays in 1 on 1 drills. Gave up a slant route for a td right in front of his face.

He says reed and watts are flashing big time.

Joseph looked good in 1 on 1's.

Interviewing watts now.

Errant Hothy
08-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Stephanie Stradley
Arian Foster left. Did 40 min. "Hamstring tightened up" per Kubiak. Took out as precaution.

Stephanie Stradley
Kubiak: Owen Daniels was sick today. Left practice early. "A bug going around." #Texans

I can go back to work now.

Rey
08-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Watts says he is getting used to playing over the guard. Playing a lot of 3 tech.

Likes the one gap system, gets to pin his ears back and go.

Blah, blah. . . Nothing else remotely significant.

Seńor Stan
08-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Mike meltzer on 610:

Gave up some plays in 1 on 1 drills. Gave up a slant route for a td right in front of his face.

Interviewing watts now.

Melba Toast thinks Meltzer is a little bland.

b0ng
08-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Watts says he is getting used to playing over the guard. Playing a lot of 3 tech.

Likes the one gap system, gets to pin his ears back and go.

Blah, blah. . . Nothing else remotely significant.

How many times did they say "soft"? This is important.

Rey
08-05-2011, 10:23 AM
How many times did they say "soft"? This is important.

I think they are using code words now.

They said manning "baited" Matt into throwing a pick today.

Clearly Matt is soft.

b0ng
08-05-2011, 10:26 AM
I think they are using code words now.

They said manning "baited" Matt into throwing a pick today.

Clearly Matt is soft.

There's also a bug going around. It's obvious that the Texans immune system is soft.

BTW I love Lawrence Vickers

Rey
08-05-2011, 10:52 AM
There's also a bug going around. It's obvious that the Texans immune system is soft.

BTW I love Lawrence Vickers

Come to think off it watts did say he was going to hit the showers after the interview.

Soft?

And yeah vickers is electric.

Not saying I want pollard back, but could you imagine those two in the same locker room?

False Start
08-05-2011, 11:26 AM
From numerous reports, KJ is still getting lit up in camp. It's early, but I just dont think this dude is ever gonna be worth a ****. :rake:

b0ng
08-05-2011, 11:30 AM
From numerous reports, KJ is still getting lit up in camp. It's early, but I just dont think this dude is ever gonna be worth a ****. :rake:

Be interesting to see what all the fans say about Kareem during open practices.

Speaking of which, if you guys are going and use twitter please post your handles here if you plan on tweeting stuff during practice.

EDIT: Brandon Harris rookie diary

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Rookie-Diary-Brandon-Harris/04a81fc4-d502-4b2d-8e6f-c311bcc87e47

HOU-TEX
08-05-2011, 11:36 AM
I haven't missed a Camp yet, but I don't think it'd be wise for me to go this year. I don't want to take a chance on people bumping into my arm and crap. It sucks and really has me bummed out.

disaacks3
08-05-2011, 11:41 AM
The best part today was during line drills. Antonio Smith was up and got his upper body too far forward on the rush. He did a beautiful face-plant in the grass.

Even better was Cody making fun of him afterward! :texflag:

The Pencil Neck
08-05-2011, 11:42 AM
I haven't missed a Camp yet, but I don't think it'd be wise for me to go this year. I don't want to take a chance on people bumping into my arm and crap. It sucks and really has me bummed out.

Right after I blew out my shoulder the second time, I had to get on to a plane and fly home. I thought I was lucky that I got an aisle seat... until every person who walked down the aisle bumped it. And then the stewardess' nailed it with their cart.

That was a rough trip.

Take care of it, man.

HOU-TEX
08-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Right after I blew out my shoulder the second time, I had to get on to a plane and fly home. I thought I was lucky that I got an aisle seat... until every person who walked down the aisle bumped it. And then the stewardess' nailed it with their cart.

That was a rough trip.

Take care of it, man.

Thanks, man. I'm used to always doing something and hardly ever stay still. It blows and I haven't even gotten to the rehab stage yet. Eh, at least the pain isn't as bad as the past couple. That's a good thing because I hate pain pills and weened off of them within 2 days after the surgery.

Anyone want some hydrocodone? Ha

JWarren14
08-05-2011, 01:10 PM
I plan to go to TC tomorrow and probably post some stuff

JWarren14 is my twitter name

JCTexan
08-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Mike meltzer on 610:

Interviewing watts now.

Was Andre practicing today? If not, who was he going against?

b0ng
08-05-2011, 02:09 PM

Make it worth me following you!

GP
08-05-2011, 02:18 PM

Thanks man.

I just followed you on twitter. Can't wait to hear your analysis tomorrow.

beerlover
08-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Make it worth me following you!

man talk about pressure :thinking:

TexanAddict
08-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Anyone have two extra tickets to Sunday's practice? I didn't get a chance to print any and now it says they are sold out. I would appreciate it.

IBleedTexans
08-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Anyone have two extra tickets to Sunday's practice? I didn't get a chance to print any and now it says they are sold out. I would appreciate it.

I had to buy mine on eBay for 5 bucks each. Good luck finding yours.

CloakNNNdagger
08-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Was Andre practicing today? If not, who was he going against?

610 said that he was again kept out of practice.

Rey
08-05-2011, 03:37 PM
I had to buy mine on eBay for 5 bucks each. Good luck finding yours.

Seriously?

I've gone a couple times and they didn't even ask for the ticket.

TexanAddict
08-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Seriously?

I've gone a couple times and they didn't even ask for the ticket.

Yeah, I know that usually people with extras will often leave them at the gate, but I was hoping to have some in hand so I wouldn't have to rely on that.

SheTexan
08-05-2011, 05:06 PM
They will ask for tickets for open practices, not closed. I think today was the last closed practice.

Ive gone to open practices for the past nine years, and they have always ask for a ticket. good thing to have one with ya if you want to get in.

Rey
08-05-2011, 05:19 PM
They will ask for tickets for open practices, not closed. I think today was the last closed practice.

Ive gone to open practices for the past nine years, and they have always ask for a ticket. good thing to have one with ya if you want to get in.

I think it depends what time you go. I've ha my ticket with me and bad then just waive me in. I've also gone and have had them take the ticket. Past few camps I have gotten there around the time they started doing team stuff.

Playoffs
08-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Day 5 photos: http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/photo-gallery/Day-5-of-Training-Camp/f487bce0-91de-4af7-a6b7-1fe3912969d5

Some good ones in this set.

http://prod.static.texans.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2011/08-August/Team--nfl_medium_540_360.JPG

Lucky
08-05-2011, 08:49 PM
http://prod.static.texans.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2011/08-August/CBKareemJackson--nfl_medium_540_360.JPG

Don't fall down, Kareem. :)

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

EllisUnit
08-05-2011, 08:53 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/photo-gallery/Day-5-of-Training-Camp/f487bce0-91de-4af7-a6b7-1fe3912969d5

my man

CloakNNNdagger
08-05-2011, 08:58 PM
http://prod.static.texans.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2011/08-August/CBKareemJackson--nfl_medium_540_360.JPG

Don't fall down, Kareem. :)

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

I see our ingenious training staff fitted coach with a dual-purpose customized protective and functional carpal tunnel splint! KJ can grab on, if he feels himself falling.:toropalm:

Ryan
08-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Is there any merit to the rumor of Foster reporting to camp overweight and out of shape? Apparently my dad heard it on 610 but i've seen nothing to back that. And that's also apparently according to McLame so i think i've answered my own question.

Rey
08-06-2011, 12:18 AM
Is there any merit to the rumor of Foster reporting to camp overweight and out of shape? Apparently my dad heard it on 610 but i've seen nothing to back that.

In the pictures I've seen he looks like he's in excellent shape.

Can't see that guy showing up out if shape in the situation he is in.

Allstar
08-06-2011, 12:29 AM
How do people gain access to these closed practices? I thought fans were only allowed to the open ones...

House of Pain
08-06-2011, 01:26 AM
Is there any merit to the rumor of Foster reporting to camp overweight and out of shape? Apparently my dad heard it on 610 but i've seen nothing to back that. And that's also apparently according to McLame so i think i've answered my own question.

You the same thing came up a few weeks ago by LZ on his morning show. He started off talking about how he thought that all the celebrity and interviews with Foster has taken away from his workout schedule.

Ironically, the same day, when asked by LZ to someone who followed him around for a few days and said he was in great shape.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Foster take a couple games to get into his normal shape.

b0ng
08-06-2011, 09:23 AM
A good person to follow on twitter:

BigRon281
@BenTateRB is NOT a 3rd/4th stringer w/ how he looks this AM. He's been workin'. Still nasty cuts for a 220+ lb. back. He's wreckin #2/3's.

IBleedTexans
08-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Also these tweets

BigRon
@BigRon281
Tate ran w/ the 1s for Ward on a few reps (#23 sitting out). He's rippin' it up this AM. Beat 'Meco on a wheel for about 25yds a min ago.

BigRon
@BigRon281
Oh! @HarrisNOFLYZONE with the first turnover of the day on a diving INT of TJ Yates.
37 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

BigRon
@BigRon281
Oh! @HarrisNOFLYZONE with the first turnover of the day on a diving INT of TJ Yates.
37 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

IBleedTexans
08-06-2011, 09:28 AM
BigRon
@BigRon281
And @JJWatt with nearly the second T/O on a batdown of Schaub and near INT of his own.

b0ng
08-06-2011, 09:57 AM
If we are to believe fan tweets from TC:

BigRon281 BigRon
I'm gonna go out on a limb a bit here: They're not facing equal comp, but on feet alone Sherrick McManis is a better outside CB than Kareem.

Somewhat surprising but then again. . . not really :toropalm:

michaelm
08-06-2011, 10:12 AM
If we are to believe fan tweets from TC:

Somewhat surprising but then again. . . not really :toropalm:

Both Steph (TexansChick) and AJ mentioned BigRon in tweets earlier today, and recommended following him.
I'll take that as a good endorsement that BigRon is a quality source of info.

Shaft75
08-06-2011, 11:17 AM
In Fort Worth this weekend... Hoping for an update from anyone out there! I promise to take some videos and post some pics on Tuesday.

beerlover
08-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Instead of I want my MTV, now I can say I want my BigRon281 :brando: