PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Practice Updates - 2011

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

AnthonyE
08-10-2011, 12:52 PM
I came in here for Training Camp updates.

All I found were arguments about Jacoby and what a DB should do with a hail mary.

BUT any football talk is better than none!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/liltony9144/happyschaubbetter.jpg

Blake
08-10-2011, 12:56 PM
JJ Watt is a beast ...

Watt is a beast ... :wild:

JJ Watt is a #%*$&!?@ beast ...

Heard that so many times!!! :kingkong:

Can we get false start to make us a MAXIMUM WATTAGE photoshop image?

The Pencil Neck
08-10-2011, 12:57 PM
I've rewatched a fair chunk of last seasons games...early in the season a lot of his drops were 3rd down drive killers. Breadbasket drops that deflated the entire offense...

JJ's best value is as a threat...his actual production rarely lives up to the billing.

How many?

I think one of the issues here is defining what a drop is and is not.

I'm pretty sure I saw Jacoby drop more than 4 balls last year. At least, there were more than 4 instances where the ball touched his hands and he didn't catch it. To me, if it hits both of your hands, you should have caught it if you're a WR.

GP
08-10-2011, 12:58 PM
I came in here for Training Camp updates.

All I found were arguments about Jacoby and what a DB should do with a hail mary.

BUT any football talk is better than none!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/liltony9144/happyschaubbetter.jpg

My bad. I seriously keep trying to walk away from it, but I come back and see so many responses that I feel like re-discussing it all over again.

Every one of my posts is consistent on those two topics, though. I feel like I have explained it the same way, multiple times. I do it less to try and change people who argue against what I am saying...and more to show the undecided voters out there that what gets purported is not always what "is."

There just could, juuuuuus might, be some other pieces of information that provide food for thought. Maybe my crime is serving up a buffet of food. Maybe I should be a short order cook, instead. I dunno. LOL.

Porky
08-10-2011, 12:58 PM
The Jacoby stuff is interesting and has a lot of merit as a debate topic, but I love coming to this thread and reading what everyone has to say about practice and weeding thru the Jacoby talk takes extra time. Unless Jacoby drops one in practice, I would rather see a seperate thread topic on the merits of JJ's hands. JMO. :kitten:

GP
08-10-2011, 01:01 PM
How many?

I'm pretty sure I saw Jacoby drop more than 4 balls last year. At least, there were more than 4 instances where the ball touched his hands and he didn't catch it. To me, if it hits both of your hands, you should have caught it if you're a WR.

What if a LB chips you, and throws you off stride and you had to contort your body to catch it? The ball glances off your hands, but it's not as if you (the WR) had the best shot at the pass?

This is where the subjectivity comes into play, unfortunately. Nobody is going to agree with someone else on what was the WR's fault and what was not. I suppose standing in a defender-free "bubble" of space and having the ball doink completely off your hands would be the only sure thing to register as a drop?

I shudder to think what kind of haggling would go on, in order to determine by committee if a WR dropped the ball or he did not. Would be a fun sight to observe.

MightyTExan
08-10-2011, 01:02 PM
per PFT Kubiak concerned about Brian Cushing’s absence

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/10/kubiak-concerned-about-brian-cushings-absence/

“I’m concerned,” Kubiak said Tuesday via the Houston Chronicle. “He needs to get out here and go to work with his buddies. Obviously he had surgery done and we didn’t have him all offseason, so we couldn’t just throw him out there and watch him. . . . It’s hard to be at your best when you’re missing a lot of time, so we need to get him out there.”

UPDATE: Cushing heard Kubiak’s message. He returned to the field for “some” team drills on Wednesday morning, although not with the starters. We’ll keep an eye on his progress this month.

GP
08-10-2011, 01:04 PM
The Jacoby stuff is interesting and has a lot of merit as a debate topic, but I love coming to this thread and reading what everyone has to say about practice and weeding thru the Jacoby talk takes extra time. Unless Jacoby drops one in practice, I would rather see a seperate thread topic on the merits of JJ's hands. JMO. :kitten:

Me too. I thought I did that in a thread I created, but people have to bring up JJ's current training camp problems...another person says "That's what he does" and it causes people (chiefly ME) to say "Wait a second, did you look at any other threads other than this one? Recent thread about this, link HERE."

Some others chime in, on the TC thread (here), and so it goes. So on and so forth. Rinse and repeat.

It's really the fault of posters who don't give us minute-by-minute TC reports in this thread. They are dropping the ball in this instance. BIG TIME. :kitten:

Anybody ever see two kitten smilies that were NOT in sync on the timing of the paw batting the ball of yarn? That's amazing. Just noticed that. Perfect timing, each time.

Here, let's see if it happens again :kitten:

EDIT: Damn! That is one RELIABLE kitten right there.

AnthonyE
08-10-2011, 01:18 PM
My bad. I seriously keep trying to walk away from it, but I come back and see so many responses that I feel like re-discussing it all over again.

Every one of my posts is consistent on those two topics, though. I feel like I have explained it the same way, multiple times. I do it less to try and change people who argue against what I am saying...and more to show the undecided voters out there that what gets purported is not always what "is."

There just could, juuuuuus might, be some other pieces of information that provide food for thought. Maybe my crime is serving up a buffet of food. Maybe I should be a short order cook, instead. I dunno. LOL.

Don't worry about it bro, just thought I would contribute to this thread the only way I know how. By not really contributing. XD

Btw, I totally agree with you with the DB thing. My coach, granted this was in middle school but, always told me to make sure the WR doesn't get the ball by whatever means necessary. Whether that's by way of a pick, or by knocking it down, as long as he doesn't catch it it's alright by him.

As far as the Jacoby thing, meh. In the past he's been a bit scary, but as a number 3 option there's not really more that you can ask for. He has the chance to score and flashes brilliance many times, but he's still inconsistent. Sounds like a lot of WR2 and WR3s to me.

thunderkyss
08-10-2011, 01:54 PM
at the 2.17 mark walter burns K. Jack

If this was a real game, that ball wouldn't have been caught... I doubt it would have been thrown. Manning would have picked it off & KJac was right where he was supposed to be.

If I'm a coach & I watched that play, I would be happy with everyone's work, except my QB.

If he's going to throw that ball, he's got to get the ball over the receivers head, away from the CB let him run up under it... the receiver is already past the safety & there's nothing but end zone in front of him.

Shaft75
08-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Was only saying that you guys act like he's isolated in a chamber and no other WR or PR on God's green earth does what JJ does.

I think you watch only OUR games or something???

The level of effort some people are going to, to show that Jacoby is a dunce is amazing. He's going to drop passes. Shocker. Other players are going to drop passes. Shocker. Why remain in this place of acting like Jacoby should be on the bubble every camp because HE drops passes? I find it interesting, that's all.

Let's ignore ALL of the TDs (9) he scored. Let's ignore all of the 20+ and 40+ gains he produced. Let's ignore total yards. Let's ignore average yards per catch. Let's ignore first downs he made. Let's say that David Anderson is RELIABLE and that, by golly, means Jacoby is broken.

Not even Andre Johnson is perfect. There's just so much bitching and snarkiness about something that other WRs have happen to them, too, that it's funny to watch the antics. It was funny then, and it's hilarious NOW to watch people ignore other stats and just focus on certain scenarios in certain games. As if Jacoby is the only one who ****s up plays at certain times in certain games.

I must have gotten into some other conversation or touched a nerve. I never said I didn't want the guy on the team or that he wasn't productive. I just said he simply dropped a pass in the endzone. And he'll do it again. He'll even drop a crucial first down pass. I was actually not at all a fan of DA and was happy that we moved on.

And, yes, I mainly just watch the Texans games, although I do watch others when we have an away game or I watch the night games. But remember, I've had front row season tickets for the last 8 years, so I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to JJ.

Shaft75
08-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Moving on...

Anyone see Cushing on the field today? I'm interested to see how that's going. I'm trying hard not to believe that his PED-less body is breaking down. Only one can hope...

michaelm
08-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Moving on...

Anyone see Cushing on the field today? I'm interested to see how that's going. I'm trying hard not to believe that his PED-less body is breaking down. Only one can hope...

I read a tweet that said he got worn out pretty quickly and his playing time was limited. Kubiak said he's (paraphrasing) "pretty far" behind on his conditioning.

Allstar
08-10-2011, 02:34 PM

Or maybe JJ SWATT? ya know, cuz he's always swatting those passes down :fingergun:

michaelm
08-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Or maybe JJ SWATT? ya know, cuz he's always swatting those passes down :fingergun:

I'm thinking about some kind of play on the word "kilowatts".

Yeah, you just got shocked by 99 Killa-WATTs!

gary
08-10-2011, 02:48 PM
I am more worried about who the second corner is going to be this year rather than Jacoby Jones. Earl Mitchael should definitely be the starting NT with Cody backing him up. Who knows, maybe Kevin Williams will be signed after training camp as depth for a DT/NT? Slaton is running great as long as ball security is not a question with him of course. Studdard is a signing that looks like for the sole purpose of being a backup and also knowing the ZBS as well.

GP
08-10-2011, 03:15 PM
I must have gotten into some other conversation or touched a nerve. I never said I didn't want the guy on the team or that he wasn't productive. I just said he simply dropped a pass in the endzone. And he'll do it again. He'll even drop a crucial first down pass. I was actually not at all a fan of DA and was happy that we moved on.

And, yes, I mainly just watch the Texans games, although I do watch others when we have an away game or I watch the night games. But remember, I've had front row season tickets for the last 8 years, so I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to JJ.

You didn't hit a nerve, you just did a drive-by comment like so many other people do (JJ is a drop machine!) and I chose to try and put some objectivity into it.

BTW, your front row seats don't impress me, either. Watch a few other games of other teams and you'll see WRs dropping passes, and in fact NFL Drops stats are bearing that out too (but only JJ drops the "important" passes, or so I am told). It's not what JJ "does," it's what they all do from time to time.

One last parting comment:

I am actually a lot like Jacoby Jones. I'm not very reliable, but every now and then I pull out one of these:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/gpshafer_1976/koolaid_mcclain.jpg
(John McClain, who is drinking the Kool Aid this year)

or one of these...

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/gpshafer_1976/wary.jpg

or this one I made when we beat the Colts in game 1 and The Forehead was on the sideline acting like it was the end of the world and his teammates were the biggest losers in the world...

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/gpshafer_1976/manning_sulks.jpg

I have a lot of potential, but just like JJ, I kinda' drop the ball on some things around here. Usually, I'm on the wrong side of the stats argument...but I feel pretty confident that this particular topic is settled.

GP
08-10-2011, 03:21 PM
I am more worried about who the second corner is going to be this year rather than Jacoby Jones. Earl Mitchael should definitely be the starting NT with Cody backing him up. Who knows, maybe Kevin Williams will be signed after training camp as depth for a DT/NT? Slaton is running great as long as ball security is not a question with him of course. Studdard is a signing that looks like for the sole purpose of being a backup and also knowing the ZBS as well.

I'm with you on the Mitchell/Cody topic.

I feel like Mitchell makes more sense as NT, just like Jason Allen makes more sense at CB2. If preseason plays out like training camp has, it ought to be Mitchell at NT and Allen at CB2.

But then again, preseason can make darlings out of duds, and turn heroes into goats.

I'm also hoping the punter Hartmann or Harttman (sp?) wins the punter's job. He can boom kickoffs, too, and could be a K if Rackers is injured or hits Shanksville all of a sudden.

Ole Miss Texan
08-10-2011, 03:22 PM
I repped you in another thread already today darnit. This is hilarious!!!

gary
08-10-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm with you on the Mitchell/Cody topic.

I feel like Mitchell makes more sense as NT, just like Jason Allen makes more sense at CB2. If preseason plays out like training camp has, it ought to be Mitchell at NT and Allen at CB2.

But then again, preseason can make darlings out of duds, and turn heroes into goats.

I'm also hoping the punter Hartmann or Harttman (sp?) wins the punter's job. He can boom kickoffs, too, and could be a K if Rackers is injured or hits Shanksville all of a sudden.I just don't see Mitchell being just a training camp wonder and that's all. Both Cody and Mitchell seem to be rather small for an NT upon first glance at them but Earl still has the edge there he does really well at staying low to the ground and using his quickness at the point of attack which is a huge plus for him. These are not games that count though so let's hope he does this well when facing the rest of the NFL. We'll see.

GP
08-10-2011, 03:38 PM

I had to find glasses that looked like an older white man's glasses.

Had to find a mustache (boy, was THAT a weird images results page!).

A pocket protector and a Texans logo, which was easy.

And....a ham sammich that would nestle ever so comfortably, yet in abject peril in the hands of McClain.

I like to show people that I don't take things toooo seriously, that I have a SOFT spot for making sure everybody knows I come here for fun first and foremost. And the sex is good, too. Can't gripe about that. LOL.

GP
08-10-2011, 03:40 PM

What's so funny is that McClain has a round'ish face to begin with.

The mustache fits. The glasses. The nerdy pocket protector. Ham sammich.

It is one of my favorite projects, actually. Wolf asked for it, I delivered! My only fear is that some of the media guys in the Houston area will get ahold of it and I'll have The General hunting me down and talking massive trash about me in his blog or at his sidewalk Kool Aid stand or whatever he does these days.

powda
08-10-2011, 03:55 PM
How many?

breadbasket numbers perfect pass - bad coverage - no traffic - and it almost looked like schaub took something off it just cause he was throwing it to JJ.

These were not questionable drops...these were passes schaub was pissed about having dropped...

I KNOW he dropped more then 4. Thats a bogus stat.

Seor Stan
08-10-2011, 04:09 PM
What's so funny is that McClain has a round'ish face to begin with.

The mustache fits. The glasses. The nerdy pocket protector. Ham sammich.

It is one of my favorite projects, actually. Wolf asked for it, I delivered! My only fear is that some of the media guys in the Houston area will get ahold of it and I'll have The General hunting me down and talking massive trash about me in his blog or at his sidewalk Kool Aid stand or whatever he does these days.

Fantastic!! Waaaay too many veggies on the sammich, though.

gtexan02
08-10-2011, 04:11 PM

Not as good as others on here, but heres a quick attempt by me

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/492/jjwattwisconsin.jpg

A little more time this evening and I can make it look nice. Does anyone have a Texans photo of him?

Allstar
08-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Does anyone have a Texans photo of him?

Come Tuesday morning there should be a few.

infantrycak
08-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Not as good as others on here, but heres a quick attempt by me

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/492/jjwattwisconsin.jpg

A little more time this evening and I can make it look nice. Does anyone have a Texans photo of him?

I don't mean to be critical but shouldn't you have picked a white guy for the picture?

gtexan02
08-10-2011, 04:23 PM
I don't mean to be critical but shouldn't you have picked a white guy for the picture?

*Whooosh*

(sound of that going right over my head)

I'm going to need some more explanation. Wasn't Watt #99 at wisconsin?

Grams
08-10-2011, 04:43 PM
*Whooosh*

Yes, but obviously that is a different 99.

Doppelganger
08-10-2011, 04:48 PM

*Whooosh*

Watt was #99 at Wisconsin. The picture you have is him. The problem is the lighting is very dark and thus makes the very white Watt looks black.

I think this picture is from the same game. Different light and black teammate next to him and Watt looks like himself.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_g3snLKgTfhk/TQ-KnJcvMTI/AAAAAAAAAdY/4MZbV0yglkw/s1600/Watt_JJ_OSU_10%2B%25282%2529.jpg

HOU-TEX
08-10-2011, 04:49 PM
*Whooosh*

Yes, but obviously that is a different 99.

Looks like him to me. I'm pretty sure that's a white guy too

gtexan02
08-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Looks like him to me. I'm pretty sure that's a white guy too

Ok, I'm glad I'm not crazy.
Maybe some people need to check their screen calibration settings :D

(Either that or we've become a colorblind society)

HOU-TEX
08-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Ok, I'm glad I'm not crazy.
Maybe some people need to check their screen calibration settings :D

(Either that or we've become a colorblind society)

I didn't even think black guy until I saw I-Caks post. I double checked and he still looked white.

GP
08-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Fantastic!! Waaaay too many veggies on the sammich, though.

That's icing that's been spray-painted to look like veggies.

Don't you ever watch Cake Boss? LOL.

infantrycak
08-10-2011, 05:03 PM
OK - still looks like a black guy to me and the face looks different. But in any event it was meant as a joke.

GP
He looks white as hell on my new MacbookPro laptop.

Calibration situation, IMO.

GP
OK - still looks like a black guy to me and the face looks different. But in any event it was meant as a joke.

:lol:

Icak made a funny.

gtexan02
08-10-2011, 05:07 PM

ha, no worries. When people say "I don't see color" in response to racism, you now know what it means :spin:

michaelm
08-10-2011, 05:49 PM

Looks like a white guy on my screen.

dc_txtech
08-10-2011, 06:59 PM

I asked the wife and she said, "If I had to guess, I would say Mexican". :ahhaha:

LOL at this thread continuously being off topic. Good stuff though.

BSofA04
08-10-2011, 07:10 PM
I'm betting Killa-Watts breaks Amobi's rookie record of 5.5 sacks....by week 13.:specnatz:

GuerillaBlack
08-10-2011, 08:04 PM
I'm betting Killa-Watts breaks Amobi's rookie record of 5.5 sacks....by week 13.:specnatz:

Thought Amobi was a beast in the making after that rookie season he had. Shame.

jaayteetx
08-10-2011, 08:09 PM
I'm betting Killa-Watts breaks Amobi's rookie record of 5.5 sacks....by week 8.:specnatz:

Fixed it for ya.:fans:

thunderkyss
08-10-2011, 08:11 PM

They all look alike to me..........

:kitten:

Ω

thunderkyss
08-10-2011, 08:37 PM

5.5+ sacks from a rookie 3-4 DE?

No Pressure.

Igor Olshanski has never had 5 sacks in a single season.

Marcus Spears... never had 5 sacks in a single season.

& those guys played quite a bit in Wade's 3-4.

dalemurphy
08-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Thought Amobi was a beast in the making after that rookie season he had. Shame.

I was hopeful that Amobi would develop into a good player. I even wrote an article with supporting video after our win vs. Indy last season where I argued that Amobi looked very good and may have finally figured it out.

All that is to preface the following: I never thought he looked good as a rookie. Most of those sacks that first month were flukish. I always thought that Okoye and Fred Bennett both were a mirage in 2007. Bennett, who had an excellent rookie season, appeared to me to have very poor form tacking and also had very sloppy footwork. I'm still at a loss to explain why both players had such good seasons in 2007- It certainly wasn't the strong supporting cast.

Shaft75
08-10-2011, 11:42 PM
BTW, your front row seats don't impress me, either.

or one of these...

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/gpshafer_1976/wary.jpg

I'm not trying to impress dude, but I know my football, played it in high school and college, I'm diehard for the Texans and watch pretty much all the NFL and college games I can find the time for. Trust me, with twin 8 month olds it going to be super hard for me this year. I have a say, just like anyone else on this board. And I'd venture to say that defending Jacoby for some critical drops will draw a little criticism.

I'm repping you for the Koolaid John. that was a masterclass!

RTP2110
08-10-2011, 11:51 PM
I don't have much to add, other than I'll be out at TC for the first time tomorrow. I'll try to provide as many updates as I can!

Rey
08-11-2011, 12:31 AM
5.5+ sacks from a rookie 3-4 DE?

No Pressure.

Igor Olshanski has never had 5 sacks in a single season.

Marcus Spears... never had 5 sacks in a single season.

& those guys played quite a bit in Wade's 3-4.

I think watt is a different kind of player than those guys.

I think he has the potential to be a whole lot more dynamic. Pass rushing is a part of his game. A big part if it.

Watt could play de in a 43 whereas is see spears and olshanface as dts.

I heard barwin say that he will be dropping about 50 of the time so that means that the other half the will be depending in watt to provide the outside rush opposite Mario.

Rey
08-11-2011, 12:39 AM
I also read somewhere that the defense lined up in a passing situation with only two down linemen.

The versatility that we should have on defense is going to be an awesome sight to see.

GP
08-11-2011, 01:13 AM
I'm not trying to impress dude, but I know my football, played it in high school and college, I'm diehard for the Texans and watch pretty much all the NFL and college games I can find the time for. Trust me, with twin 8 month olds it going to be super hard for me this year. I have a say, just like anyone else on this board. And I'd venture to say that defending Jacoby for some critical drops will draw a little criticism.

I'm repping you for the Koolaid John. that was a masterclass!

Derrick Ward dropped a pass in camp, too. Would have been a TD.

Video link HERE. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgB16HsTXkg)

I'm not sayin'....I'm just sayin'....everybody does it.

Thank you for the rep on the Kool Aid John, by the way. And my shot at you about how I was not impressed by your front row tickets--I was joking and wanted to make sure you knew that, but can see how it might have come off wrong to you. My bad.

Georges St. Pierre, the MMA fighter, walked up to his upcoming opponent and declared to his face "I am not impressed by your per-form-ance" (in my best French Canadian accent). That was a bit of a reference that I guess was only funny to me. LOL.

EDIT: Now that I saw your rep comments, I'm calling MAJOR BULLSHIT that you've dated a couple of Texans cheerleaders! If you have, however, then I am damn sure impressed with that. LOL.

thunderkyss
08-11-2011, 08:24 AM
I also read somewhere that the defense lined up in a passing situation with only two down linemen.

The versatility that we should have on defense is going to be an awesome sight to see.

That's how Green Bay did it... they took the DT off the field, left a pass rushing LB (Matthews & that other guy) & added a CB.

Capers is a genius if you ask me. Most situations like that, DCs take a LB off the field & replace him with a DB... kills their pass rush,

Rey
08-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Huh? Where did you get that idea from?

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/DE/JJ-Watt.php

Yeah, I dont really get my information from Draft profiles. I like to actually watch them play.

And besides that, 5 sacks is not "elite pass rusher" numbers. So your article doesn't really "prove" anything.

steelbtexan
08-11-2011, 11:07 AM
:lol:

Icak made a funny.

I didn't know he had it in him.

LOL

CloakNNNdagger
08-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Foster, Tate and JJ are not out there this morning.

08-11-2011, 11:44 AM
and now steve slaton tweaks his hamstring... jeeeeez.

Allstar
08-11-2011, 01:25 PM
This just in: Toro tweaks a hamstring.

Ole Miss Texan
08-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Does anybody know how players are faring around the league? I'd be interested if there's a lot of hamstring issues this year.

Honoring Earl 34
08-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Does anybody know how players are faring around the league? I'd be interested if there's a lot of hamstring issues this year.

I'm thinking that the ones not out there practicing in the 99 degree weather are doing better . I would think that there's no way to stay hydrated unless your getting an IV between plays . This along with exploding through a hole is a recipe for a pulled hamstring .

hobie
08-11-2011, 02:19 PM
From Kuharsky at today's practice... man, I hope they really do consider Allen being the #2 Corner..

3) Schaub found Kevin Walter with a bomb up the right side that fell incomplete only because Kareem Jackson had a handful of Walters jersey to prevent him from catching up to it. Jackson made no real effort to hide the foul or recover from it.

PockyAF
08-11-2011, 03:19 PM
From Kuharsky at today's practice... man, I hope they really do consider Allen being the #2 Corner..

3) Schaub found Kevin Walter with a bomb up the right side that fell incomplete only because Kareem Jackson had a handful of Walter’s jersey to prevent him from catching up to it. Jackson made no real effort to hide the foul or recover from it.

According to a chron's article (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7692522.html), the CBs getting a chance to compete* in the Phillips coached defense, regardless of draft slot.

Texans coach Gary Kubiak caught a lot of reporters off guard this week when he disclosed that cornerback Jason Allen is pushing Kareem Jackson for a starting job.

Allen, 28, is off to a terrific start in his first training camp with the Texans, who signed him Nov. 10 after Miami waived the defensive back.

"There's absolutely no doubt," Kubiak said when asked if Allen could win the starting job. "He's done a heck of a job, and we're going to play our two best guys."

Johnathan Joseph just got $23.5 million guaranteed, so he's ticketed for one starting spot. Jackson, who started 16 games as a rookie but didn't play as well as the coaches hoped he would, is the other starter.

For now. When Jackson looks over his shoulder, he should see Allen gaining on him.

I made a post about this before TC started, before we even signed JoJo, that it might likely be Allen and whatever top FA CB we landed starting in week 1, and K-Jack being relegated to 4th CB (behind the "ideal" nickleback, Brandon Harris).

I was hoping that Kareem would prove us wrong and actually step up to the plate as a competent starting CB. But obviously Allen is showing enough in TC, as is Kareem.. sadly, to conclude who belongs where in the depth chart.

However, we'll see if everything displayed in TC is translated over in a pre-season game.

Rey
08-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Oh wait, re-read. Ok, you like watching game tapes on the draftees and forming your own judgements base on it. That actually is a notable thing to do. So kudos on that.

But, I'm much too lazy to download all the games of Watt/Reed/Harris and would much rather have someone credible do the work for me; which is why Lance Z, Scott Wright, Mel, etc. are my hero when it comes to draft time.

So basically you just parrot the work of others and have no real opinion on this subject?

:kitten:

J/K....it's all good.

HOU-TEX
08-11-2011, 04:03 PM
I just watched the little 1 on 1 video with Brandon Harris. He seems like a cool dude. Well spoken and seems like he tells it like it is.

Not really news worthy, but I just wanted to pass it along.

False Start
08-11-2011, 05:31 PM
I just watched the little 1 on 1 video with Brandon Harris. He seems like a cool dude. Well spoken and seems like he tells it like it is.

Not really news worthy, but I just wanted to pass it along.

Yeah, I liked that too, I hope the dude becomes a real player for this team.

HOU-TEX
08-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Holliday got a hammy today too!

Per Nick Scurfield tweet

Gary Kubiak said WR/KR Trindon Holliday also tweaked his hamstring this morning. He'll be out a few days

Kimmy
08-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Am I correct in this? If a player gets injured in training camp we have to keep them and their money for the year?

If so, we have a LOT of people that will be very well paid bench warmers!

b0ng
08-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Am I correct in this? If a player gets injured in training camp we have to keep them and their money for the year?

If so, we have a LOT of people that will be very well paid bench warmers!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NFL+Injury+Settlements

RTP2110
08-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Has anyone heard anything about why Mario was not on the field today?

DX-TEX
08-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Has anyone heard anything about why Mario was not on the field today?

Ailing father.

Honoring Earl 34
08-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Ailing father.

I think he's at MD Anderson .

SteveSlaton20
08-12-2011, 01:41 AM
What's Glover Quin playing, FS or SS?

I thought we moved him to FS, but the chron.com keep saying that he is a SS.

And how's Mario doing at OLB?

Allstar
08-12-2011, 02:35 AM
What's Glover Quin playing, FS or SS?

I thought we moved him to FS, but the chron.com keep saying that he is a SS.

And how's Mario doing at OLB?

He's at strong, at least that's what he said. The Safeties in Wade's system line up and operate the same way though, so it doesn't really matter most of the time.

IBleedTexans
08-12-2011, 09:26 AM
According to Steph's twitter, JJo is not practicing , on an exercise bike. Wonder why?

CloakNNNdagger
08-12-2011, 09:54 AM
According to Steph's twitter, JJo is not practicing , on an exercise bike. Wonder why?

Another HAMMY!

ChampionTexan
08-12-2011, 09:59 AM
At least Jacoby's back:

PHABMK6 Patrick D. Starr
Kareem with the break up on Jacoby.

edo783
08-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Another HAMMY!

Yup, we are suffering from a sever hammy whammy.

Honoring Earl 34
08-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Yup, we are suffering from a sever hammy whammy.

ND Kalu was saying that a tweak in hamstring is not really a problem and that if it was the season they would play . He said that players on the bubble probably have tweaks to but can't sit and 100 degrees outside = a tweak to rest .

CloakNNNdagger
08-12-2011, 10:48 AM
This morning on 610, ND Kalu was playing down the hamstring "tweaks" saying that in the regular season they would be out there playing. But they are being "careful" now. I have to say that if they were thrown back into the ring without the proper rest/rehab period with even "minor" hamstring issues, they would likely re-injure and create a more serious and a potentially more chronic problem with non-optional longer periods of rehab. With a hamstring injury of any level, no therapy will substitute an adequate period of rest appropriate to the degree of injury.

Honoring Earl 34
08-12-2011, 11:22 AM
This morning on 610, ND Kalu was playing down the hamstring "tweaks" saying that in the regular season they would be out there playing. But they are being "careful" now. I have to say that if they were thrown back into the ring without the proper rest/rehab period with even "minor" hamstring issues, they would likely re-injure and create a more serious and a potentially more chronic problem with non-optional longer periods of rehab. With a hamstring injury of any level, no therapy will substitute an adequate period of rest appropriate to the degree of injury.

Reminds me of the scene in North Dallas Forty when they gave the fast guy ( Bob Hayes )a shot in the hammy .

CloakNNNdagger
08-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Reminds me of the scene in North Dallas Forty when they gave the fast guy ( Bob Hayes )a shot in the hammy .

Yeah, but I believe it was Tommy Reamon (a real ex-NFL RB) that played the movie WR Delma Huddle who got shot up and who went on to rupture his hamstring near the end of the game. That's what happens when pain isn't allowed to feed back to your body.

Honoring Earl 34
08-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Yeah, but I believe it was Tommy Reamon (a real ex-NFL RB) that played the movie WR Delma Huddle who got shot up and who went on to rupture his hamstring near the end of the game. That's what happens when pain isn't allowed to feed back to your body.

The guy who wrote it was Pete Gent . He played on the Cowboys and the urban legend was the characters were the same but the names changed in the movie .

The funny thing that I read was former players saying Pete wasn't nearly good as he portayed himself .

gary
08-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Great day at practice. I was brought into the VIP area and Bob McNair came over to me. He asked me for my prediction and I said 11-5. He said what can we do about the 5 games. I said forget the 11&5. 19&0. He got hysterical. Neil Rackers gave me his football and I had an in depth conversation with Spencer Tillman from channel 13 about the three four defense and Wade Phillips. Tillman shared his thoughts about how he has been listening to player and coach communication and also how the players comprehend the new scheme as well as the new language. Spencer told me that it is about much more than just putting pressure on the QB. We spoke a little bit about JJ Watt and what he brings to the team and the new system. He really likes Mr. Watt and I happen to like Spencer even though some of you don't but I must say he is very honest about the Texans and has a lot to say. I called his name as he was passing by in the V.I.P. area and he turned around and came right over to me then we stated chatting away like we have known each other for years so I admire him for taking all that time to chat with me. All and all I had a great time and I'll try to upload some photos to this thread depending on how they turned out when I see them.

HOU-TEX
08-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Great day at practice. I was brought into the VIP area and Bob McNair came over to me. He asked me for my prediction and I said 11-5. He said what can we do about the 5 games. I said forget the 11&5. 19&0. He got hysterical. Neil Rackers gave me his football and I had an in depth conversation with Spencer Tillman from channel 13 about the three four defense and Wade Phillips. Tillman shared his thoughts about how he has been listening to player and coach communication and also how the players comprehend the new scheme as well as the new language. Spencer told me that it is about much more than just putting pressure on the QB. We spoke a little bit about JJ Watt and what he brings to the team and the new system. He really likes Mr. Watt and I happen to like Spencer even though some of you don't but I must say he is very honest about the Texans and has a lot to say. I called his name as he was passing by in the V.I.P. area and he turned around and came right over to me then we stated chatting away like we have known each other for years so I admire him for taking all that time to chat with me. All and all I had a great time and I'll try to upload some photos to this thread depending on how they turned out when I see them.

Wow! I'm jealous again, bro. Very nice!

I admit, I don't like Tillman's commentating during preseason. That said, he sounds like a pretty cool dude to take the time to talk football with a fan.

Honoring Earl 34
08-12-2011, 03:13 PM

Did he talk about JJ Watt in his Rodney Dangerfield voice ?

b0ng
08-12-2011, 03:20 PM

Cool story, it's nice to hear that the people up top seem to be genuinely good people. I can imagine a few answers that people would've come up with here when Bob McNair asked what they could do about the 5 losses.

gary
08-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Here is me with Neil Rackers.
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee312/gary1992/DSCF1278.jpg

gary
08-12-2011, 03:31 PM
The players just chilling on the field.
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee312/gary1992/DSCF1279.jpg

gary
08-12-2011, 03:37 PM
You all know who this guy is no need to name him.
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee312/gary1992/DSCF1280.jpg

badboy
08-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Gary, you should have told Mr. McNair that if Smith & Kubiak don't work out you & I could take over by next game.

CloakNNNdagger
08-12-2011, 03:40 PM
The players just chilling on the field.
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee312/gary1992/DSCF1279.jpg

Brrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!:)

SheTexan
08-12-2011, 03:42 PM
All our players need to take some DANCE classes!!! First thing you learn is to STRETCH before practice or performing!! The # of "hammy" injuries is alarming to me, and I don't think the 100 degree weather is the main problem either. Maybe a contributor, but not the reason. Keeping their legs in shape should have been a #1 priority during the holdout!! JMO!!

Do you guys remember the time when some of the Oilers took dance classes? There were some pretty funny pics out there during that time.

drs23
08-12-2011, 03:42 PM

Cool, ya hob-nobbin with the owner and other elites and and then come back and report to us commeners. :D

Great experience, I'm sure.

b0ng
08-12-2011, 03:45 PM
All our players need to take some DANCE classes!!! First thing you learn is to STRETCH before practice or performing!! The # of "hammy" injuries is alarming to me, and I don't think the 100 degree weather is the main problem either. Maybe a contributor, but not the reason. Keeping their legs in shape should have been a #1 priority during the holdout!! JMO!!

Do you guys remember the time when some of the Oilers took dance classes? There were some pretty funny pics out there during that time.

Pretty sure Cushing got a few defensive players into the much manlier MMA classes. I think most of the hammy stuff is a tad overblown and people are worrying needlessly. I know the Texans PR department doesn't meet doc's standards of reporting injuries but I find it hard to believe that 3 of our top RB's have season ending hamstring injuries the first week of training camp.

As these guys acclimate back to going to work for the season, you'll see this stuff calm down.

gary
08-12-2011, 03:54 PM
I did see Kareem Jackson break up a pass for Jacoby Jones. As well as Rackers shank a field goal to the right.

CloakNNNdagger
08-12-2011, 04:10 PM
JoJo reported now to have a "groin" tweak/injury. Kubiak essentially stated that the secondary sucked today without him in there........VERY ENCOURAGING!:wadepalm:

gary
08-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Gary, you should have told Mr. McNair that if Smith & Kubiak don't work out you & I could take over by next game.I will probably see him again tomorrow and ask him for another picture sense the one today did not come out but I have met him before today so I do have another photo with Bob. Anyway, I'll put in the word when I see him tomorrow. I am good friends with the head of security for the Texans as well as Lance who works for the Texans. Very nice people too.

VTexan
08-12-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm a little late to the party. Does anyone want to give me a cliff notes version of what I need to know? :)

CloakNNNdagger
08-12-2011, 04:28 PM

The key is to stretch BEFORE sustaining a hamstring injury. The problem I've seen with players is that once they sustain the injury, they try to stretch it out and extend the tear, when they should allow the muscle to SHORTEN and REST until the acute injury is overcome.

The Pencil Neck
08-12-2011, 04:32 PM
The key is to stretch BEFORE sustaining a hamstring injury. The problem I've seen with players is that once they sustain the injury, they try to stretch it out and extend the tear, when they should allow the muscle to SHORTEN and REST until the acute injury is overcome.

To be honest, I think I've done that myself once or twice.

The Pencil Neck
08-12-2011, 04:43 PM
I'm a little late to the party. Does anyone want to give me a cliff notes version of what I need to know? :)

Wow. That's tough. I'll try but I'm going to leave something out.

OFFENSE:

Schaub and AJ, good. Scare with AJ dislocating finger but he's OK.
Foster, Tate, Slaton: All have looked good but all have hurt hammies.
Ward, Ogbonnaya, Williams: Have looked good taking up the slack.
WR: Dickerson has improved. Lots of good UDFAs. Going to be a good corps of WRs, difficult cuts.
OL: Winston having problems in pass pro against Watt.

DEFENSE:

DL: Watt is a monster, better than expected. Antonio Smith loves the new defense, which was a worry. Earl Mitchell actually looking good at NT although could be because of the ZBS of the offense. Worries about DL Depth.

OLB: Mario looks inconsistent and huge. Barwin playing well. Reed looks good but smaller than our other OLBs. Nading, hmmm... maybe.

ILB: Needed experienced depth, got Dobbins, could be good but not good at coverage. Ryans making good reads, questions about his speed coming back from injury. Cushng looking lighter and out of shape from knee surgery but getting better. Sharpton has looked good. I think Mister Alexander has also looked good as an UDFA.

DB: JoJo easily our best CB and heart of our secondary. He tweaked his groin and sat out today and the secondary suffered. Manning looking good. GQ also making the switch better than expected. Rooks look good, Harris probably playing nickle but Carmichael separated shoulder. KJ has been making improvement but has been getting schooled. Allen pushing for CB2 spot. McMannis also playing pretty well.

P: Signed Maynard from Bears and UDFA Hartmann. If Hartmann can get consistent, the job is probably his.

I think that's the gist of the TC so far.

:fans:

Maddict5
08-12-2011, 04:45 PM
ha funny my twitter feed was full up of good plays by the secondary today (alot more than any other day) & then i see kubiak basically saying they were terrible today

CloakNNNdagger
08-12-2011, 04:50 PM
FYI, now they're calling the injury JJ sustained a "sprained ankle." He was out there today.

drs23
08-12-2011, 05:27 PM
FYI, now they're calling the injury JJ sustained a "sprained ankle." He was out there today.

I noticed that. From a bruised bone to sprained ankle. More smoke and mirrors from the Texans med staff? I know they're your favorites Doc. :)

Brisco_County
08-12-2011, 05:57 PM

Very cool. Thank you for posting.

ObsiWan
08-12-2011, 07:36 PM

Way to go Gary!! I'd rep you but I don't see where you asked Uncle Bob why he isn't a member of our message board. Golden opportunity and you let it slide by. That's not like you Gary.
:D

gary
08-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Way to go Gary!! I'd rep you but I don't see where you asked Uncle Bob why he isn't a member of our message board. Golden opportunity and you let it slide by. That's not like you Gary.
:DI'll ask him tomorrow if he is out there. He should only read this MB anyway.

otisbean
08-12-2011, 08:19 PM

Hamstring injuries occur because a force was imposed on the muscle that it couldn't handle and the fibers tear as a result. Its not related to flexibility. Dancers, gymnasts and martial artists all experience muscle pulls and strains despite impressive levels of flexibility.

Athletes experiencing heat stress, fatigue and dehydration experience reduced performance, I think the heat is definitely a contributing factor

Porky
08-12-2011, 08:46 PM
I'll ask him tomorrow if he is out there. He should only read this MB anyway.

Maybe he shouldn't! He only wants people who blow sunshine up his ass, aka yes men. But all in all, really cool Gary. Spencer Tillman sounds like a really cool cat. Keep up the great work for us!

gary
08-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Maybe he shouldn't! He only wants people who blow sunshine up his ass, aka yes men. But all in all, really cool Gary. Spencer Tillman sounds like a really cool cat. Keep up the great work for us!Yea, I thought you guys would like a little inside scoop from Tillman. It was interesting to hear what he focuses on as a reporter during practice and like him or not he sure will tell it like it really is.

CloakNNNdagger
08-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Hamstring injuries occur because a force was imposed on the muscle that it couldn't handle and the fibers tear as a result. Its not related to flexibility. Dancers, gymnasts and martial artists all experience muscle pulls and strains despite impressive levels of flexibility.

A muscle that is dehydrated and/or fatigued can't produce as much force, I think the heat is definitely a contributing factor

It is strange, but there are some investigators who have tried to show that dehydration has nothing to do with muscle cramping/injuries (CLICK THIS ARTICLE (http://running.competitor.com/2010/04/features/sports-science-update-dehydration-does-not-cause-muscle-cramps_9199)), pointing out a false premise to begin with that if this were not so, all muscles of the body would cramp. They try to explain the entire mechanism on muscle fatigue-related factors alone.

However, physiologically, dehydration and accompanying electrolyte imbalance, by its very well establish effect on muscle function, would provide create a perfect local environment to enhance the probability of cramping/injury when combined with muscle-fatiguing exercise.

Indeed, muscle cramping/injury can occur with fatiguing exercise without dehydration and electrolyte imbalance, but it is much more likely to occur, progress and re-occur in their presence.

MEGA SWATT
08-12-2011, 09:14 PM
It is strange, but there are some investigators who have tried to show that dehydration has nothing to do with muscle cramping/injuries (CLICK THIS ARTICLE (http://running.competitor.com/2010/04/features/sports-science-update-dehydration-does-not-cause-muscle-cramps_9199)), pointing out a false premise to begin with that if this were not so, all muscles of the body would cramp. They try to explain the entire mechanism on muscle fatigue-related factors alone.

However, physiologically, dehydration and accompanying electrolyte imbalance, by its very well establish effect on muscle function, would provide create a perfect local environment to enhance the probability of cramping/injury when combined with muscle-fatiguing exercise.

Indeed, muscle cramping/injury can occur with fatiguing exercise without dehydration and electrolyte imbalance, but it is much more likely to occur, progress and re-occur in their presence.

Interesting.

otisbean
08-12-2011, 09:30 PM

I saw that article, and I agree with you. I'm a competitive beach volleyball player and playing in the Texas heat is horrible. I fatigued and cramp so much quicker than when playing in San Diego. There's another article I read that disucsses fatigued induced motor control issues causing cramps (I'll post if I can find it). I would bet this could be contributory to pulls and strains as well. Shirley Sahrmann discusses looking for weak synergistic muscles when injuries occur. I wouldn't be suprised to see weak gluteals in the athletes with hamstrings issues. The glutes should be the primary hip extensor, and if it isn't up to snuff the hamstrings are forced to take more of the load. An overloaded hammy is an injury waiting to happen.

Honoring Earl 34
08-12-2011, 10:25 PM
I saw that article, and I agree with you. I'm a competitive beach volleyball player and playing in the Texas heat is horrible. I fatigued and cramp so much quicker than when playing in San Diego. There's another article I read that disucsses fatigued induced motor control issues causing cramps (I'll post if I can find it). I would bet this could be contributory to pulls and strains as well. Shirley Sahrmann discusses looking for weak synergistic muscles when injuries occur. I wouldn't be suprised to see weak gluteals in the athletes with hamstrings issues. The glutes should be the primary hip extensor, and if it isn't up to snuff the hamstrings are forced to take more of the load. An overloaded hammy is an injury waiting to happen.

I would have training camp where it's cooler . I've read if you lose 10% of your water you lose 30% of your energy . That means you can lose focus and so on .

CloakNNNdagger
08-12-2011, 10:33 PM

I can see the glutes having several different effects on potential hamstring injuries.......the one you mentioned........as well as the combination of strong glutes, strong quads with the weak hamstrings in the middle.

In a related post, this was my answer in another thread to DoubleBarrel's question "Can you really tear a hamstring from just sprinting?":

That is one of the classic activities that can lead to a hamstring tear. Your muscle is trying to contract while another force (the ground, another player, etc.) is forcing the muscle in the opposite direction. This leads to severe opposing tension on the muscle, and depending on the force, it can result in tearing of various degree.

It can also occur when the quads are too much stronger than the hamstrings (the hammy should be no less than 60% the strength of the quad). Not warming up and having the hamstring unstretched commonly will put the hamstring at risk. Dehydration can also put the hamstring significantly at risk in that this condition leads to cramping which is contraction (shortening) of the muscle. Anything that shortens this muscle will encourage the stronger opposing muscle group (in this case the quad) to unnaturally force a re-stretch, and thus a tear. There are several other factors that can come into play, but you get the idea.

CloakNNNdagger
08-12-2011, 10:39 PM
I would have training camp where it's cooler . I've read if you lose 10% of your water you lose 30% of your energy . That means you can lose focus and so on .

Not to answer for Otisbean, but when you lose overall body energy (total body fatigue), you lose some neuromusclar COORDINATION. This type of discoordination can lead to all sorts of muscular injuries.........with the muscles yinging when they should be yanging.:)

Honoring Earl 34
08-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Not to answer for Otisbean, but when you lose overall body energy (total body fatigue), you lose some neuromusclar COORDINATION. This type of discoordination can lead to all sorts of muscular injuries.........with the muscles yinging when they should be yanging.:)

I was just giving my lecture I used when I was coaching ten year olds playing soccer in August .

CloakNNNdagger
08-12-2011, 11:28 PM
I was just giving my lecture I used when I was coaching ten year olds playing soccer in August .

Rep to you for teaching kids a principle that sometimes adults have a difficult time following.

otisbean
08-13-2011, 06:24 AM
I can see the glutes having several different effects on potential hamstring injuries.......the one you mentioned........as well as the combination of strong glutes, strong quads with the weak hamstrings in the middle.

In a related post, this was my answer in another thread to DoubleBarrel's question "Can you really tear a hamstring from just sprinting?":

Weakness in the posterior chain is REALLY bad for sprinting athletes, honestly for all athletes in general. Whenever I work with athlete I usually program exercises in a 2:1 ratio in favor of the posterior chain (glutes, hammys, and calfs). I never do quad work in isolation and never utilize the leg press. One of the fastest ways to pull a hamstring is to train using the leg press and leg curl machine as primary exercises.

For all you that have kids that are athletes, teach them to deadlift and KB swing. It's funny, I constantly hear people say "you cannot coach speed", and that's false. Any athlete can run faster if they train correctly. Running faster is all about increasing ground reaction forces and you can absolutely do that if you train properly. Develop the posterior chain, correct any muscle imbalances, and develop explosiveness and you will run faster and also help prevent pesky injuries in the process.

otisbean
08-13-2011, 06:27 AM

Great quote! Neuromuscular coordination is key to elite performance and injury prevention. Anything that disrupts it must be accounted for: dehydration, fatigue, ect...

Shaft75
08-13-2011, 01:46 PM
I just don't see Mitchell being just a training camp wonder and that's all. Both Cody and Mitchell seem to be rather small for an NT upon first glance at them but Earl still has the edge there he does really well at staying low to the ground and using his quickness at the point of attack which is a huge plus for him. These are not games that count though so let's hope he does this well when facing the rest of the NFL. We'll see.

Where's our updates??? C'mon guys, we're depending on you!

The Pencil Neck
08-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Weakness in the posterior chain is REALLY bad for sprinting athletes, honestly for all athletes in general. Whenever I work with athlete I usually program exercises in a 2:1 ratio in favor of the posterior chain (glutes, hammys, and calfs). I never do quad work in isolation and never utilize the leg press. One of the fastest ways to pull a hamstring is to train using the leg press and leg curl machine as primary exercises.

For all you that have kids that are athletes, teach them to deadlift and KB swing. It's funny, I constantly hear people say "you cannot coach speed", and that's false. Any athlete can run faster if they train correctly. Running faster is all about increasing ground reaction forces and you can absolutely do that if you train properly. Develop the posterior chain, correct any muscle imbalances, and develop explosiveness and you will run faster and also help prevent pesky injuries in the process.

Yay! Woot! Well said! I couldn't rep ya or I would have. My philosophy exactly except that I use OL lifts instead of kettle bells -- not that I'm against kettle bells.

ChampionTexan
08-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Yay! Woot! Well said! I couldn't rep ya or I would have. My philosophy exactly except that I use OL lifts instead of kettle bells -- not that I'm against kettle bells.

Got him for ya!

gary
08-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Today Jon Gruden and Chris Mortensen from ESPN was at practice getting their game notes ready for Monday night. Bob was not there but I did talk to Jon some about the team and he told me every year for awhile now he has been counting on the Texans to break through just like the rest of us. He gave me a chuckle when he said he really likes coach Phillips and the news guys and he feels Gary has a good handle on the offense. But he just would not predict anything about the Texans because every year he has been wrong so far. LOL. I took pictures with several players as well as coach Gruden. He placed his Super Bowl ring on my finger to snap a photo which was a great thrill for me but he is not the first person to do that in my life as I have had other ex NFL greats place their Hall Of Fame and Super Bowl rings on my finger before. Ryan who is the head of security for the Texans and a great friend of mine told me next summer I'll help him with security. He will tie me up in a lifeguard chair in the corner of the field and give me a bullhorn to blow if I see trouble. Mario Williams was signing for a group of kids and he saw me and left them and came over to me. I was so surprised. He was as nice as he could be and we talked SB. I'll be posting photos shortly so stay tuned to see Ryans, Williams, and others. What a great two days I have had at practice.

ObsiWan
08-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Today Jon Gruden and Chris Mortensen from ESPN was at practice getting their game notes ready for Monday night. Bob was not there but I did talk to Jon some about the team and he told me every year for awhile now he has been counting on the Texans to break through just like the rest of us. He gave me a chuckle when he said he really likes coach Phillips and the news guys and he feels Gary has a good handle on the offense. But he just would not predict anything about the Texans because every year he has been wrong so far. LOL. I took pictures with several players as well as coach Gruden. He placed his Super Bowl ring on my finger to snap a photo which was a great thrill for me but he is not the first person to do that in my life as I have had other ex NFL greats place their Hall Of Fame and Super Bowl rings on my finger before. Ryan who is the head of security for the Texans and a great friend of mine told me next summer I'll help him with security. He will tie me up in a lifeguard chair in the corner of the field and give me a bullhorn to blow if I see trouble. Mario Williams was signing for a group of kids and he saw me and left them and came over to me. I was so surprised. He was as nice as he could be and we talked SB. I'll be posting photos shortly so stay tuned to see Ryans, Williams, and others. What a great two days I have had at practice.

Where's the "Green-with-Envy" smiley?
And let me know if you need someone to help you with that lifeguard job. You know, someone to make sure you have fresh batteries for the bullhorn, keep you supplied with water... stuff like that.
:)

Wolf
08-13-2011, 03:05 PM
A few random notes from practice this morning:

The roof at Reliant Stadium was open this morning. You can count on it being closed on Monday night.
Trindon Holliday, Steve Slaton, Paul Williams, Johnathan Joseph, Antonio Baker and Jonathan Weeks all began practice on the exercise bikes and didn't participate
Arian Foster, Ben Tate and Steve Slaton worked by themselves at the far corner of Field 3. Foster and Tate were running and later came back to the main practice field with ice on the hammys. Gary Kubiak said today that all the hamstring injuries to the RBs are Grade 1, which is the least severe. The Texans are being extra conservative with these injuries.
Johnathan Joseph was held out for what Kubiak described as a tight grion. It doesn't appear serious.
Jason Allen took Joseph's reps.
Heard in the crowd: "Jeff Maehl looks like a high school kid"
Reggie Herring worked with the linebackers on various pressures, stunts and drops during individual drills. Cushing and Barwin were working on stunts. As far as the outside LBs, sometimes you'd see them bring Barwin and drop Mario or vice versa, and sometimes they'd bring both while Cushing and DeMeco dropped. There are many different combos on LB movements and that's an exciting aspect of Wade's defense.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Texans training camp notes: Friday, August 12 - Houston Houston Texans | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/texans-training-camp-notes-friday-august-12#ixzz1UwB3a9Xc

Aj's notes from friday

Wolf
08-13-2011, 03:07 PM
wow hulk wade again

I didn't see exactly what happened and only caught the tail end but backup OLB Brian Braman either missed an assignment or was mixing it up with someone and Wade Phillips got in his face big time. "Get in the huddle!" screamed Phillips.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Texans training camp notes: Friday, August 12 - Houston Houston Texans | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/texans-training-camp-notes-friday-august-12#ixzz1UwBdM5tF

Interesting dime package work today. One set had two safeties deep (Nolan, Barber) with another safety (Demps) lined up about 7-8 yards deep with three corners (Molden, Harris and McManis).
What was very interesting was the blitzes and pressures out of the dime set. Created confusion in the offensive backfield, no doubt.

Lucky
08-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Some notes on individual players from this morning's (8/13) practice. Really, pretty much a walk-through considering that there's a game on Monday.

JJ Watt - Seems just a little quicker, stronger, and more energetic than anyone else on either side of the line. Coming from Wisconsin, you would think he would have to adjust to the searing heat. Not so. Regarding rookies, we've heard the term "pro ready" tossed around here before. Looks like Watt really does fit that description.

Brian Cushing - I can't help but say that Cushing looks smaller than before. Also, he looked lost in zone coverage at times. It was a walkthrough without real hitting, so put this in perspective.

DeMeco Ryans - Also looked smaller than I've seen him in awhile. Seems ahead of Cushing and the other ILBs in pass coverage.

Connor Barwin - Barwin looks huge. But still very fluid. I think Connor could be on the verge of a breakout season.

Brooks Reed - Rookies were hurt the most by the lack of offseason workouts and camps. A guy changing positions, like Reed, is really setback. Brooks looks lost at times, stiff as well. I don't expect much from him this season.

Kareem Jackson - Still the starting LCB. Will he stay there once Joseph comes back from injury? Did a nice job of blanketing Dreessen. Had a more difficult time with Kevin Walter.

Mario Williams - Saw him drop into coverage a few times. Won't surprise me if the Texans don't show that look more in the preseason.

Tim Dobbins - Good size and moves around pretty well. Running 2nd team, and could become the top ILB off the bench.

Quinton Demps - Demps caught my eye from the start, working with the D-line in pass rush drills prior to practice officially starting. Demps took some snaps at nickel LB and returned a kickoff, as well. I think he makes this team as the top safety off the bench. Demps probably would have started on many Texans teams in the past.

Matt Schaub - Nails. Wrap him up, put him to the side, and break him out on opening day.

Matt Leinart - Been getting rave reviews, but I see a lot of checkdowns and hesitancy. Don't be surprised to see Leinart take a few sacks against the Jets.

TJ Yates - Let me say that I do see the talent. He has the best arm on the team and can thread a needle if he can see the play. Usually, TJ looks lost, hesitant, and inaccurate. He needs reps and Yates is getting a ton in practice. At least a year away from giving the Texans anything.

Javarris Williams - Almost as squatty as Ryan Moats. That's really all I've got.

Lawrence Vickers - Got a few carries in single back sets. Didn't look too bad, and actually turned the corner on a sweep.

James Casey - Looks like the starter at FB. Gives the Texans so much versatility, as the defense really won't know where he will line up. Caught everything today and was uncoverable by the LBs. Along with Connor Barwin, gets my preseason Breakout Player of the Year award.

Kevin Walter - Looks great. Quicker than I've seen him, may have lost weight. Very much in sync with Schaub.

Lester Jean - Just keeps making circus catches. Has the body and the hands to be a WCO receiver. I'm officially on his bandwagon.

Jeff Maehl - Reed thin, but has more explosiveness than you'd think. Ran past fellow rookie Brandon Harris on a go route, but Yates missed him.

Not much on the linemen, because it's really tough to evaluate them in this setting. Really, a listless practice. Hopefully, a day off the practice field on Sunday makes them fresh on Monday night. Can't wait for some football, even if it's preseason.

Kaiser Toro
08-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Thanks Lucky, great stuff!

Rey
08-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Lucky I really think Casey will have a notable season. He is going to cause headaches for coordinators.

Leave a lb in and he has the advantage in passing game but can also block. Put a db in him and he will have an advantage blocking but can hold his own running routes on passes.

BetaV1
08-13-2011, 04:59 PM
I'll ask him tomorrow if he is out there. He should only read this MB anyway.

He won't find more sunshine and candy canes on the Internet than right here. :koolaid:

Doppelganger
08-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Some notes on individual players from this morning's (8/13) practice. Really, pretty much a walk-through considering that there's a game on Monday.

JJ Watt - Seems just a little quicker, stronger, and more energetic than anyone else on either side of the line. Coming from Wisconsin, you would think he would have to adjust to the searing heat. Not so. Regarding rookies, we've heard the term "pro ready" tossed around here before. Looks like Watt really does fit that description.

Brian Cushing - I can't help but say that Cushing looks smaller than before. Also, he looked lost in zone coverage at times. It was a walkthrough without real hitting, so put this in perspective.

DeMeco Ryans - Also looked smaller than I've seen him in awhile. Seems ahead of Cushing and the other ILBs in pass coverage.

Connor Barwin - Barwin looks huge. But still very fluid. I think Connor could be on the verge of a breakout season.

Brooks Reed - Rookies were hurt the most by the lack of offseason workouts and camps. A guy changing positions, like Reed, is really setback. Brooks looks lost at times, stiff as well. I don't expect much from him this season.

Kareem Jackson - Still the starting LCB. Will he stay there once Joseph comes back from injury? Did a nice job of blanketing Dreessen. Had a more difficult time with Kevin Walter.

Mario Williams - Saw him drop into coverage a few times. Won't surprise me if the Texans don't show that look more in the preseason.

Tim Dobbins - Good size and moves around pretty well. Running 2nd team, and could become the top ILB off the bench.

Quinton Demps - Demps caught my eye from the start, working with the D-line in pass rush drills prior to practice officially starting. Demps took some snaps at nickel LB and returned a kickoff, as well. I think he makes this team as the top safety off the bench. Demps probably would have started on many Texans teams in the past.

Matt Schaub - Nails. Wrap him up, put him to the side, and break him out on opening day.

Matt Leinart - Been getting rave reviews, but I see a lot of checkdowns and hesitancy. Don't be surprised to see Leinart take a few sacks against the Jets.

TJ Yates - Let me say that I do see the talent. He has the best arm on the team and can thread a needle if he can see the play. Usually, TJ looks lost, hesitant, and inaccurate. He needs reps and Yates is getting a ton in practice. At least a year away from giving the Texans anything.

Javarris Williams - Almost as squatty as Ryan Moats. That's really all I've got.

Lawrence Vickers - Got a few carries in single back sets. Didn't look too bad, and actually turned the corner on a sweep.

James Casey - Looks like the starter at FB. Gives the Texans so much versatility, as the defense really won't know where he will line up. Caught everything today and was uncoverable by the LBs. Along with Connor Barwin, gets my preseason Breakout Player of the Year award.

Kevin Walter - Looks great. Quicker than I've seen him, may have lost weight. Very much in sync with Schaub.

Lester Jean - Just keeps making circus catches. Has the body and the hands to be a WCO receiver. I'm officially on his bandwagon.

Jeff Maehl - Reed thin, but has more explosiveness than you'd think. Ran past fellow rookie Brandon Harris on a go route, but Yates missed him.

Not much on the linemen, because it's really tough to evaluate them in this setting. Really, a listless practice. Hopefully, a day off the practice field on Sunday makes them fresh on Monday night. Can't wait for some football, even if it's preseason.

I really think KJ's abilities will be best served as a nickle corner. Your post seems to confirm.

gary
08-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Here is me and my friend Ryan.
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee312/gary1992/8132011230.jpg

gary
08-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Jon Gruden.
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee312/gary1992/8132011232.jpg

gary
08-13-2011, 05:37 PM
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee312/gary1992/8132011233.jpg

gary
08-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Wade Phillips.
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee312/gary1992/8132011234.jpg

gary
08-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Casey Suddard.
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee312/gary1992/8132011235.jpg

gary
08-13-2011, 05:44 PM
DeMeco Ryans.
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee312/gary1992/8132011236.jpg

gary
08-13-2011, 05:46 PM
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee312/gary1992/8132011237.jpg

gary
08-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Welcome to Houston Jojo.
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee312/gary1992/8132011238.jpg

gary
08-13-2011, 05:50 PM
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee312/gary1992/8132011239.jpg

DX-TEX
08-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Awesome pics Gary.:fans:

gary
08-13-2011, 05:54 PM
The new lean mean Mario muchine.
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee312/gary1992/8132011240.jpg

gary
08-13-2011, 05:56 PM
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee312/gary1992/8132011241.jpg

gary
08-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Connor Barwin.
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee312/gary1992/8132011242.jpg

gary
08-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Eric Winson.
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee312/gary1992/8132011243.jpg

gary
08-13-2011, 06:09 PM
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee312/gary1992/8132011244.jpg

gary
08-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Matt Linert.
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee312/gary1992/8132011245.jpg

gary
08-13-2011, 06:12 PM
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee312/gary1992/8132011246.jpg

gary
08-13-2011, 06:14 PM
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee312/gary1992/8132011231.jpg

ObsiWan
08-13-2011, 06:33 PM

must spread rep
:o/

Two things.
1. The LBs worry me. Most are at new positions, learning new responsibilities. That could mean a lost split second thinking before reacting. That's pretty much all it takes to get you beat in this league. I wonder if the 1's will get more P/T in pre-season to make the adjustment.

2. Vickers was brought in to be the Leach-replacement-unit. Casey isn't giving up his spot with the 1's w/o a fight. So we're either keeping two FBs or four TEs depending on how Casey is listed. If that happens, what other position will we be cut short? QB maybe... and stash T.J. on the practice squad??

pirbroke
08-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Thanks Gary, best pics I have seen yet, to me barwin looks like he got bigger this offseason.

prostock101
08-13-2011, 06:41 PM
I totally agree that Cushing is smaller. A lot smaller. I remember those predraft workout videos the networks were running all the time and he looked huge. Now...not so much. Honestly makes me want to hide my Cushing signed football a friend got for me.

CASEY!!!!! AWESOME!!!! Ok, I think he's the real deal and I never understood why Kub didn't use him more often last year.

CloakNNNdagger
08-13-2011, 06:44 PM
must spread rep
:o/

Two things.
1. The LBs worry me. Most are at new positions, learning new responsibilities. That could mean a lost split second thinking before reacting. That's pretty much all it takes to get you beat in this league. I wonder if the 1's will get more P/T in pre-season to make the adjustment.

2. Vickers was brought in to be the Leach-replacement-unit. Casey isn't giving up his spot with the 1's w/o a fight. So we're either keeping two FBs or four TEs depending on how Casey is listed. If that happens, what other position will we be cut short? QB maybe... and stash T.J. on the practice squad??

QB? I hope to heck NOT. If Schaub goes down and we get rid of Leinart, we won't even be left with an entertaining pipe dream.

ObsiWan
08-13-2011, 06:50 PM
QB? I hope to heck NOT. If Schaub goes down and we get rid of Leinart, we won't even be left with an entertaining pipe dream.

why would we get rid of Hottub Matty?

gary
08-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Barwin is bigger and Cushing smaller for sure I saw both of them.

CloakNNNdagger
08-13-2011, 06:57 PM
I totally agree that Cushing is smaller. A lot smaller. I remember those predraft workout videos the networks were running all the time and he looked huge. Now...not so much. Honestly makes me want to hide my Cushing signed football a friend got for me.

CASEY!!!!! AWESOME!!!! Ok, I think he's the real deal and I never understood why Kub didn't use him more often last year.

I'm having a problem calling most anyone on the team (only a couple notable exceptions) as the "real deal" until I see them facing and executing against another team, a stronger bigger team, a historically consistent team, a winning team......not just in preseason (which can be a joke in itself) but in full 4 quarter regular season competition when the other team is not just experimenting but actually going for the throat. Color me cynical.........after all, I AM a seasoned Texans fan.

CloakNNNdagger
08-13-2011, 07:01 PM
why would we get rid of Hottub Matty?

Sorry, I misinterpreted you as meaning get rid of a QB and stash the other on the PS. I need to drink more water, my brain is dehydrating. Hate when that happens.:mcnugget:

CloakNNNdagger
08-13-2011, 07:08 PM

That's strange that there would much of a noticeable difference. Barwin is listed on official roster as 6' 4" 254 and cushing 6' 3" at 260.

Tailgate
08-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Cool pics Gary!

ObsiWan
08-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Sorry, I misinterpreted you as meaning get rid of a QB and stash the other on the PS. I need to drink more water, my brain is dehydrating. Hate when that happens.:mcnugget:

that's more likely due to my poor command of English. I meant we only keep the Matt brothers on the active roster and stash T.J. on the P/S.

gary
08-13-2011, 07:45 PM
That's strange that there would much of a noticeable difference. Barwin is listed on official roster as 6' 4" 254 and cushing 6' 3" at 260.It did not look that way to me and mom said so too.

b0ng
08-13-2011, 07:59 PM
That's strange that there would much of a noticeable difference. Barwin is listed on official roster as 6' 4" 254 and cushing 6' 3" at 260.

Official heights and weight are about as right as injury reports when coming from NFL teams. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody copy/pasted last years numbers for the website.

CloakNNNdagger
08-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Official heights and weight are about as right as injury reports when coming from NFL teams. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody copy/pasted last years numbers for the website.

You're probably right.

Lucky
08-13-2011, 08:55 PM
The 3rd QB is a given. Whether it's Yates or someone off the waiver wire remains to be seen. While Daniels, Dreessen, and Casey have been fantastic, Graham and Hill have been underwhelming from what I've seen. At best, they're fighting for one roster spot. And I could see a scenario where they're both gone, and a blocking TE comes in off the waiver wire

To be fair to Cushing, he's been re-habing his knee this offseason and not able to workout as he normally would. Still, someone should take note of Barwin's workout regimen. Because whatever it is, it's obviously working.

BorrowMe
08-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Well Cushing did say he lost 10 lbs...

gary
08-13-2011, 09:47 PM
To be fair to Cushing, he's been re-habing his knee this offseason and not able to workout as he normally would. Still, someone should take note of Barwin's workout regimen. Because whatever it is, it's obviously working.

Well Cushing did say he lost 10 lbs...These two points may very well be factors.

GP
08-13-2011, 11:44 PM
gary,

Wait a second here! So you're in a photo with Matt Leinart and no bikini babes with you guys??? Matt owes you an apology.

Glad you've been updating us on training camp. Thanks for sharing your photos.

EllisUnit
08-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Jon Gruden.
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee312/gary1992/8132011232.jpg

damn he let u wear his SB ring :specnatz:

ObsiWan
08-14-2011, 12:07 AM
gary,

Wait a second here! So you're in a photo with Matt Leinart and no bikini babes with you guys??? Matt owes you an apology.

Glad you've been updating us on training camp. Thanks for sharing your photos.

Maybe.

Orrrrr... just maybe Gary has enough sense not to post the hottub/bikini photos. Gary ain't sayin' and I ain't askin'.
:fingergun:

GP
08-14-2011, 12:16 AM

Lucky, wow man. What great coverage and analysis. Thanks a million.

My replies to your post (above) are:

1. It sounds like JJ Watt takes no snaps off, and no days off either. I have YET to here that this guy was sandbagging it, or having trouble against his man, or not doing something to impact a play. It sounds like we have a huge winner as a 1st round d-lineman pick...something that is a rarity outside of the Mario pick. Call me knee-jerky, but he could end up being better than Mario.

2. Barwin represents, in my eyes, what Jason Babin was expected to be during the Casserly era. A big, brawny, "fast" guy who hits people hard. There are two guys I am keeping my eye on--Barwin is one of them.

3. The other guy I want to watch closely, and root for, is James Casey. If the Vickers signing did anything, it damn sure has probably made James Casey sit up and pay attention: Win the job, or it will go to Vickers at some point. I don't foresee the Texans desiring to "give" either guy the FB role, but I am sure James Casey has made the Vickers acquisition a motivator. In fact, I think they're planning on using both of them fairly evenly. Casey represents a Jack of All Trades type guy who can play TE, HB, and FB. He's the guy you want to keep healthy because he can replace an injured TE. He can play FB. Etc. He's one roster spot, but three potential uses. I think he plays Special Teams too, right? If so, that's FOUR positions. Damn!

4. I am a bit bummed that we won't see Schaub vs. Jets. I want to see guys like Lestar Jean and Toliver and others out there running routes with Schaub throwing the passes to them. I want to see what can happen IF we need one or two or three more guys to get out there and run with the 1st team QB at the controls. I think it could actually HELP get them onto our 53-man roster. With Leinart at QB, like you said, we might not see all that those WRs can really do. But, I understand that we have got to protect #8 in preseason.

Overall, there just is this very real "buzz" about this Texans team this year. In years' past, the only buzz was the one we generated ourselves by drinking heavily and fantasizing about what "next year" will bring us. This year, there's a change. I remember last year, Kubiak, during camp, DAILY pissed and moaned about how bad the team's "tempo" was and how nobody had urgency or motivation out there on the field. Haven't heard that one bit this year. He seems genuinely pleased.

I think fans need to be ready for the very real possibility that we can lose our first game. Running our QB2 out there (Leinart) vs. the Jets, with no Arian Foster, could mean we score like 3 points. And I'm being serious. I am fully prepared to see the media talking heads hanging their heads and saying "Same old Texans!" on Tuesday...but I really think we're going to be running QB2, hardly any Andre Johnson at all, no RB1, hell maybe no RB2 either, no Cushing. It could be a boring night for Texans fans.

JJ Watt, therefore, should get a lot of reps and we can see him work his magic. Even at that, he might be pulled after series number 2 or something.

I just don't think our coaches are going to risk injury to our 1st teamers in preseason game 1. Damn sure not against the Jets. I can see Kubiak waving a symbolic white flag toward Rex Ryan by putting 2nd and 3rd teamers out there all game long. "Eff you, Rex. I'm not going to get my guys out for the year with injuries just to try and beat you in preseason game 1. Suck my toes."

GP
08-14-2011, 12:19 AM
Maybe.

Orrrrr... just maybe Gary has enough sense not to post the hottub/bikini photos. Gary ain't sayin' and I ain't askin'.
:fingergun:

LOL. True. He's pretty smart.

ObsiWan
08-14-2011, 01:21 AM
I just don't think our coaches are going to risk injury to our 1st teamers in preseason game 1. Damn sure not against the Jets. I can see Kubiak waving a symbolic white flag toward Rex Ryan by putting 2nd and 3rd teamers out there all game long. "Eff you, Rex. I'm not going to get my guys out for the year with injuries just to try and beat you in preseason game 1. Suck my toes."

you DO know that Rex is into that, right?

....or maybe that's why you said that
:thinking:

Kimmy
08-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Overall, there just is this very real "buzz" about this Texans team this year. In years' past, the only buzz was the one we generated ourselves by drinking heavily and fantasizing about what "next year" will bring us. This year, there's a change. I remember last year, Kubiak, during camp, DAILY pissed and moaned about how bad the team's "tempo" was and how nobody had urgency or motivation out there on the field. Haven't heard that one bit this year. He seems genuinely pleased.

Not completely true. I listen to Sirius 88 pretty religiously and there has been heavy expectation for us the last three seasons. That contributes to why we don't get any respect.

So many analysts have jumped off our bandwagon because we can't get it done.

That being typed, they'll all be chasing us like a fat kid does the ice cream man if we do it this year. Let's go!

GP
08-14-2011, 12:52 PM
you DO know that Rex is into that, right?

....or maybe that's why you said that
:thinking:

Aren't we ALL into that???

Wolf
08-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Painekiller
08-11-2011, 11:11 AM

Yesterday was not an easy day to report on. They did a large portion of the practice on the south side of the field, thus my position near the 20 on the north side bleachers was not a good seat for that part of practice.

If you saw the chron.com report of practice yesterday you got most of my observations.

I will add a couple of notes I remember, The running backs on the field yesterday, Ward, Slaton and Chris Ogbonnaya, all looked sharp. Slaton is showing the burst he had as a rookie, and has had some big runs in camp. Ogbonnaya is showing speed and quickness I do not remember from his days at Texas. Tate is still on the sideline and he is losing ground. He is in desperate need of reps, and Slaton has been able to secure his spot as at he number 3 back. Not saying that Tate will be cut or is a bust, just saying he is falling further behind.

Holiday had a huge punt return that highlighted his speed, he hit the seam and he was gone no one could get near him, he is going to have to do that in the games a few times to make this team.

The UDFA WRs that the scouts secured are all pushing for that #5 WR spot. I am glad that I am not having to make this decision. Jean, Maehl and Toliver are all making cases for making this team. I have Jean slightly ahead of Toliver on the outside, and Maehl is a slot guy that is an upgrade over Anderson right now. So keeping all three will be tough.

Right now my favorite UDFA defender is Bryan Braman. He is at worse a practice squad guy. He is old for a rookie, 25, but he is showing a huge motor and great quickness at the OLB. He had another big play today, a sack.

I have to say, I am not seeing Mario flash in camp in the team drills. Could it be why he is getting called out by AJ?

Sorry Keith, but no big report on Harris. That does not means he has done bad, but the plays I watched him on, he had solid coverage and no one challenged him with a throw. So he did not have any big plays, just solid plays on a consistent basis. I guess that is a report.

Keo is not getting any return work with the ST which is surprising me. They are working Quin on punts, go figure.

Our high priced free agent DBs appear to worth every penny, and I agree with all the hype in the paper, The opening day starters at CB will be Joseph and Allen. I don't see that Jackson is consistent enough to get on the field as a starter yet. And I am not calling Jackson a bust, just not the 2nd best CB we got right now. Jackson is looking better than last year, but not as good as Allen right now. And in the NFL you never have to many CBs.

Oh and Watts...........

painekiller 08-12-2011, 10:49 AM

Biggest news today was Casey appears to have hurt his ankle. It looked like his ankle rolled on a catch late in practice, and he was very slow in getting up. He laid flat for a at least 30 seconds before getting up. He was helped off the field, but was walking with his weight on the ankle. He was limping. Not sure how bad it was.

News flash, Maehl dropped a pass today. And TE Hill actually caught one.

I want to point out Allen was working with the 1st team, but so was Jackson. I did not see Joseph in team drills. Not sure if I just missed him or what. Jackson had a real nice day. He stripped AJ on a few occasions. Like I said yesterday, he has improved. It's amazing what a pro coach can do with raw talent.

As for Harris, I watched him on a large number of plays. In team drill late in practice they played it like a game, the #2 offense in a 3 wide set got the ball on the 20 and they had to work against the #2 defense in a nickle package. Harris was on Maehl who has had a wonderful camp. Harris covered Maehl and keep him from being involved in the game. I think Maehl was targeted on one play and Harris broke it up. Brice was working with the #1's nickle.

Mario was back out there today. I'm still not seeing him making plays. Barwin has looked like a beast.

A note on Casey, he was working only with the 2nd team today. And Vickers was blown up again today, second time this week I've seen him blown up. Not just beaten, but blown up.

Leinart is a good solid backup, and Yates is still looking good.

Ward and Ogbonnaya both looked great again. So the OL is looking solid in the run game.

http://www.inthebullseye.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306&page=4

Wolf
08-14-2011, 09:05 PM
I didn't see this posted unless I missed it
Houston Texans Training Camp: Whos in, Whos Out
By Mike Cardano
Executive Director
August 13th, 2011

NFL Scout Jayson Braddock appears in his regular weekly spot on the Dylan Gwinn show this week talking Houston Texans football and the NFL.

In this weeks spot Jayson goes over his observations of the performances of both the players and coaches in training camp as he has observed them as they prepare for a Monday Night Football game against the New York Jets.

http://thexlog.com/201108130925/xtra-point-football/nfl/houston-texans-training-camp-whos-in-whos-out/

Interesting......

@espn_afcsouth: Antonio Smith on Sirius Radio right now talking about playing some nose in nickel situations. #Texans

http://www.inthebullseye.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306&page=4

Video: Camping with the Texans (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/26480/video-camping-with-the-texans)

ObsiWan
08-14-2011, 09:24 PM

I refuse to answer on the grounds that it might incriminate....

Wolf
08-14-2011, 09:29 PM
I didn't see this posted unless I missed it

http://thexlog.com/201108130925/xtra-point-football/nfl/houston-texans-training-camp-whos-in-whos-out/

yeah that audio is not all kool-aid.

he did say that Jacoby is running crisp routes

Kimmy
08-14-2011, 09:32 PM

I refuse to answer on the grounds that it might incriminate....

Totally off topic, but too good to resist

Vincent: Have you ever given a foot massage?
Jules: [scoffs] Don't be tellin' me about foot massages. I'm the foot f#ckin' master.
Vincent: Given a lot of 'em?
Jules: Shit yeah. I got my technique down and everything, I don't be ticklin' or nothin'.
Vincent: Would you give a guy a foot massage?

ObsiWan
08-14-2011, 09:54 PM
yeah that audio is not all kool-aid.

he did say that Jacoby is running crisp routes

No it isn't.
The whole Brooks Reed "looks lost" and "...plays like a dead fish..." was quite disturbing. And then the "we all know what Tate can do when he's healthy, but when is he healthy..?" remark. Something to watch.

Harris sounds like he is coming along nicely for a rookie DB.

I wish they'd post a transcript.

Nice find Wolf.
again.

GP
08-14-2011, 10:00 PM
No it isn't.
The whole Brooks Reed "looks lost" and "...plays like a dead fish..." was quite disturbing. And then the "we all know what Tate can do when he's healthy, but when is he healthy..?" remark. Something to watch.

Nice find Wolf.
again.

I wonder if Brooks Reed is suffering from being a bit undersized (I have heard many here say he's smaller than our other LBs) AND that's working in conjunction with him being a rookie?

Started out of the gate OK, beginning to fade a bit...camp wears on, hot day after hot day, etc. Not excusing him or anything. Just saying that it's possible he's not handling the pro game's rigors like other guys are. Could be a conditioning situation. Could be climate change--He's played college in a dry climate (mostly) and Houston is humid.

I think he will be fine. I think he makes the 53 man roster.

What I am bummed about is that Toliver is supposedly slipping a little each day. Surely we keep more than 5 WRs? AJ, JJ, KW, DD, Jean, and Maehl (6th guy). And pray Toliver makes it to PS.

ObsiWan
08-14-2011, 10:09 PM
I wonder if Brooks Reed is suffering from being a bit undersized (I have heard many here say he's smaller than our other LBs) AND that's working in conjunction with him being a rookie?

Started out of the gate OK, beginning to fade a bit...camp wears on, hot day after hot day, etc. Not excusing him or anything. Just saying that it's possible he's not handling the pro game's rigors like other guys are. Could be a conditioning situation. Could be climate change--He's played college in a dry climate (mostly) and Houston is humid.

I think he will be fine. I think he makes the 53 man roster.
Could be that he's the rookie suffering the most from not having OTAs. That would have been valuable time to learn the playbook and acclimate to our heat.

What I am bummed about is that Toliver is supposedly slipping a little each day. Surely we keep more than 5 WRs? AJ, JJ, KW, DD, Jean, and Maehl (6th guy). And pray Toliver makes it to PS.

I seem to recall Kubiak specifically saying that the first three WR spots are settled and the last two were still up in the air.
This isn't the exact quote I recalled but it gets the msg across - it was after Saturday morning's practice...
(on WR Lestar Jeanhttp://www.houstontexans.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster/lestar-jean/18b75ac5-baa4-4d9e-8bf7-c604be86ceff/) making plays) Hes continuing to do that. Hes a big body kid and Ive had some of the DBs come over to me and say Hey coach, that guy is tough to handle. So, hes got a lot of ability, hes got that big body, yall saw that catch he made this morning so theres going to be two young receivers on this team so itll be interesting to see who they are.

If a sixth WR makes the team it'll have to be with Coach Joe's bunch.

GP
08-14-2011, 10:26 PM
Wow, obsi.

So Kubiak is saying AJ at 1, JJ and KW at 2 and 3 (regardless of "order").

And that leaves Dorin Dickerson who just has GOT to be at spot 4.

Meaning one last spot for either Jean, Toliver, Townsel, or Maehl.

Yikes.

Jean at spot 5, and maybe Townsel on Special Teams returning kicks?

Wolf
08-14-2011, 10:27 PM
No it isn't.

Nice find Wolf.
again.

on that day of practice
said both Matt's struggled that day

He didn't know why they tried a lob a pass to Holiday in the end zone and McMannis took it away

He doesn't get too excited with special teams because it is not full speed ahead and they aren't tackling and reason you see some break one

HE wants to see Chris O (OB27)in live game action, (he looks good in practice but..
)
KJ looks bad and figure they are trying to give him a all the time to get better and have him loss the job. KJ's strengths, inside 15 yards ,with safety help, he is more physical ,can stay with the cuts and looks good. However with no safety help.. he can't do it on his own, and has to have over the top safety help. KJ doesn't have elite speed and can't keep up,However has looked better than last year.

He thinks Jason Allen and McMannis (could make a push) and says Wade and Gary are seeing that now

he wants to see Joseph in a game, in practice he seems disinterested at times

He loves the coaching staff

he did say that Jacoby is running crisp routes and has a swagger, still has some drops ...does look better

Brandon Harris-looks like a talented rookie.(looks good, but still has rookie mistakes) and looks like Nickel roll is what the coaching staff likes him as

JJ Watt looks like he is NFL ready.. he feels now he is top 3 top 5 "NFL ready" players.

Conner looks great and Wade told him, that they haven't dropped him or Mario much in practice and just had them rush and they look insane. They should lead the league in tip passes with Conner,Mario, and JJ coming down on the QB.. (bunch of skyscrapers on the edge).. they are getting their hands up and said for some reason the guys didn't get it last year (getting hands up) and this year they are getting it.

Brooks Reed-looks lost, he doesn't know if he is second guessing himself, doesn't know the playbook, and when he looked at the game film of him, you see the spin move, you see the speed rush, the bull rush and now you see him .. he looks like a dead fish. he said the reason that Reed got the INT in practice was that he stood in one spot, didn't rush the passer, just drop in coverage but was in open spot and Leinart didn't see him and the receiver ran behind brooks. Matt threw it into his stomach, Brooks ran 5 yards and Jeff Maehl tackles him and Brooks fumbled. Brooks is miles behind the top 3 rookies.

Wolf
08-14-2011, 10:37 PM
continue on the fast cliff notes

West Texas a&M linebacker Bryan Braman has a long way to go but is outplaying Brooks.

Cushing isn't ready(per Kubiak) and doesn't look explosive, Adibi is flexible.. playing outside and took Mario out and he thinks that if they aren't rushing the passer and need a LB to drop, they would bring in Adibi to cover and take Mario out.

reasonable expectations for the defense is 2009 (no exactly ceiling).. ranked16 would be fine with the offense like we have. Just have a defense that can stop people. not like last year where offense would score with 2 minutes left and no confidence the defense would stall them,much less stop them. Defense now is actually picking off passes this year instead of knocking the ball down. T.O. win the game

Ben Tate (when asked if Tate won't make the team).. Foster is good and we know what he can do, Ward is the slowest, but is the veteran and has patience and able to get the tough goal line yards, OB27 (what he is calling Chris) looks good but needs to see him in a game. Ben Tate is so dynamic when healthy, but when is he healthy? Slaton looks to be back to his rookie year form and is not juking and making moves, but making the one cut and going downhill. (but he did fumble that day). Kubiak didn't want to trade him for a junk pick and wanted to see if he could return to his rookie form and wants to see him in game form.

----------------

whew.. I hope that isn't too hard to read.. I was going fast.

CretorFrigg
08-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Is anybody else worried about the reports concerning Mario?

...nothing special?

Anyone have other observations? According to recent reports, it sounds like moving him to LB wasn't such a great idea. On paper, it looks great, and I was all for it. We'll see.

ObsiWan
08-14-2011, 10:45 PM
That's a lot of work. On point too.
Will somebody please rep this man for me.

Allstar
08-14-2011, 10:47 PM

...nothing special?

Anyone have other observations? According to recent reports, it sounds like moving him to LB wasn't such a great idea. On paper, it looks great, and I was all for it. We'll see.

Kubiak said he's been exceptional, if that counts for anything....

Honoring Earl 34
08-14-2011, 10:51 PM
That's a lot of work. On point too.

I got him

Honoring Earl 34
08-14-2011, 10:53 PM

...nothing special?

I've read mixed things about him . What I really think is they were going to let Mario try it and if he couldn't play it , they have a 3 man rotation at the 5 .

Lucky
08-14-2011, 11:33 PM
Done.

Adibi is flexible.. playing outside and took Mario out and he thinks that if they aren't rushing the passer and need a LB to drop, they would bring in Adibi to cover and take Mario out.
Look, I wasn't out at practice everyday, and I'm not saying this guy didn't see this. But...

There's no way Mario is going out of the game on passing downs. Unless he needs a breather. If Adibi is subbed in, it will be as a nickel back replacing Ryans or Cushing. Mario will be on the edge rushing the passer.

ObsiWan
08-15-2011, 12:04 AM
Any word on Shiloh Keo? I thought he was supposed to seriously compete for one of the safety spots. Haven't heard much buzz about him at all.

GP
08-15-2011, 01:07 AM
continue on the fast cliff notes

West Texas a&M linebacker Bryan Braman has a long way to go but is outplaying Brooks.

Cushing isn't ready(per Kubiak) and doesn't look explosive, Adibi is flexible.. playing outside and took Mario out and he thinks that if they aren't rushing the passer and need a LB to drop, they would bring in Adibi to cover and take Mario out.

reasonable expectations for the defense is 2009 (no exactly ceiling).. ranked16 would be fine with the offense like we have. Just have a defense that can stop people. not like last year where offense would score with 2 minutes left and no confidence the defense would stall them,much less stop them. Defense now is actually picking off passes this year instead of knocking the ball down. T.O. win the game

Ben Tate (when asked if Tate won't make the team).. Foster is good and we know what he can do, Ward is the slowest, but is the veteran and has patience and able to get the tough goal line yards, OB27 (what he is calling Chris) looks good but needs to see him in a game. Ben Tate is so dynamic when healthy, but when is he healthy? Slaton looks to be back to his rookie year form and is not juking and making moves, but making the one cut and going downhill. (but he did fumble that day). Kubiak didn't want to trade him for a junk pick and wanted to see if he could return to his rookie form and wants to see him in game form.

----------------

whew.. I hope that isn't too hard to read.. I was going fast.

WAIT A SECOND!

Holy cow, I just realized that the LB last name of Braman is a WTAMU guy (West Texas A&M University). My alma mater.

I watched this guy play every home game last year, and watched him on TV during away games (local TV station would "live" satellite it to us here in Amarillo).

This guy is a hoss. You talk about "motor that doesn't stop"? That's him. And he's a big boy. Big frame. He had a bit of an injury problem that held him out of some games from time to time, but overall he was the lone bright spot on our defense.

Man, I hope he makes the team.

Playoffs
08-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Hmmm. Too bad about Brooks, hope something "clicks" for him soon.

...nothing special?

I've read some pretty positive reviews on the Mario move.

76Texan
08-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Hmmm. Too bad about Brooks, hope something "clicks" for him soon.

I like Brooks Reed, but I knows that he needs some time.
He played 43 DE at Arizona and only saw a few snaps as a 34 OLB in one game (and a few more at the Sr. Bowl.)

The Texans had been moving toward the 34 the last couple of years so our other guys (Mario, Barwin, Cushing, Adibi, etc.) have seen time there.
It's not just time on the playing field, but also in practice and in TC.

Tailgate
08-15-2011, 11:54 AM

...nothing special?

.................................................. .................................................. ........................................

Observation deck

1. Mario Williams looks natural at outside linebacker. I had some doubts about the Texans' decision to move Williams to linebacker, especially at his size, but coach Gary Kubiak gave an honest assessment of the situation.

"We're not trying to fool anyone that Mario is going to be in coverage a lot," Kubiak said. "He's rushing the passer."

After watching a 2 1/2-hour practice and talking with the people that have to block Williams, any doubts about his transition are gone.

"Now he gets a running start at you, explodes into you and then makes his move," offensive tackle Eric Winston said of Williams. "He's harder to block now than ever before."

Defensive end Antonio Smith added, "Mario now realizes that he can bull rush anybody, and he's playing like a guy that can dominate every play."

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story/09000d5d82170eac/article/williams-quickly-eliminating-doubts-about-switch-to-linebacker

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2011, 12:09 PM
.................................................. .................................................. ........................................

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story/09000d5d82170eac/article/williams-quickly-eliminating-doubts-about-switch-to-linebacker

There have been other reports that Mario is NOT as explosive. That would not be surprising, as it is generally thought that a 3-point stance lends itself to greater explosiveness.

I don't know that I would grasp onto Winston's comment seeing that he has shown vulnerability to any semblance of bull rush in general.

I'll wait to see him at least in some preseason action against #1s to form opinions, and at least a couple of games into the season to form conclusions.

HOU-TEX
08-15-2011, 12:13 PM
According to a Kubiak quote Saturday eve, it sounds like we're going into tonight with a fairly basic defense. I wouldn't expect a whole lot of bells and whistles tonight.

Cjeremy635
08-15-2011, 12:14 PM
There have been other reports that Mario is NOT as explosive. That would not be surprising, as it is generally thought that a 3-point stance lends itself to greater explosiveness.

I don't know that I would grasp onto Winston's comment seeing that he has shown vulnerability to any semblance of bull rush in general.

I'll wait to see him at least in some preseason action against #1s to form opinions, and at least a couple of games into the season to form conclusions.

Don't you have patients that you should be seeing? LOL... Is that why it takes so damn long when I go to the doctor? They make you wait in the room, sitting their...snooping through the drawers for what feels like an eternity before the doc finally comes in. I guess you all are just cruising around the MBs. That's cool, I totally understand!

HOU-TEX
08-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Don't you have pateients that you should be seeing? LOL... Is that why it takes so damn long when I go to the doctor? They make you wait in the room, sitting their...snooping through the drawers for what feels like an eternity before the doc finally comes in. I guess you all are just cruising around the MBs. That's cool, I totally understand!

:spit: No kiddin

Tailgate
08-15-2011, 12:22 PM

I am not sure that is relative. Regardless of Winstons efficiency, he has been up against the before and after first hand now. Not sure whom elses comments I would put up against than the actual tackle who feels his rush up front and personal.

otisbean
08-15-2011, 12:22 PM
There's no way Mario is less explosive, if he looks that way it could be he's thinking a bit too much- which would be expected and will go away with reps/experience

Cush being less explosive isn't surprising. Anyone that has had even minor knee surgery will tell you it just takes some time. I wouldn't be surprised if Cush starts a bit slowly but gets better each week as he fully recovers

Surreal McCoy
08-15-2011, 01:26 PM
There have been other reports that Mario is NOT as explosive.

Mario being less explosive is quite difficult to imagine. Although I'm sure if that's the case we'll find out later he's been playing with some horrible, debilitating injury.

Texas T
08-15-2011, 01:50 PM
I am not sure that is relative. Regardless of Winstons efficiency, he has been up against the before and after first hand now. Not sure whom elses comments I would put up against than the actual tackle who feels his rush up front and personal.

This is why I was listenting to him (this time). He's seen both Mario's, DE and OLB, so he would have a good idea of the difference. It doesn't matter how he plays against others-he know's Mario.

GP
08-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Regarding Mario, or any other player for that matter, just watch and see what they do in the preseason games.

Then watch and see what they do in the first two games of reg season.

After that, you're pretty much going to know what you have.

And if Mario sandbags it this year and is ineffective...we hope that JJ Watt replaces him well enough that we can let Mario go play somewhere else...saving us the salary cap problems.

It's a win-win. He's either going to become the guy, in Wade's defense, that he needs to be (to be considered a truly "great" player) or he'll render himself too expensive for us to keep when the Barwins and the Watts of this team outperform him in the 3-4 defense.

If Wade Phillips hit a homerun in this past draft, adios Mario! We can't keep everybody, but we damn sure can't keep guys who want to be paid veteran #1 overall pick money either (if they aren't worth it).

Tailgate
08-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Regarding Mario, or any other player for that matter, just watch and see what they do in the preseason games.

Then watch and see what they do in the first two games of reg season.

After that, you're pretty much going to know what you have.

And if Mario sandbags it this year and is ineffective...we hope that JJ Watt replaces him well enough that we can let Mario go play somewhere else...saving us the salary cap problems.

It's a win-win. He's either going to become the guy, in Wade's defense, that he needs to be (to be considered a truly "great" player) or he'll render himself too expensive for us to keep when the Barwins and the Watts of this team outperform him in the 3-4 defense.

If Wade Phillips hit a homerun in this past draft, adios Mario! We can't keep everybody, but we damn sure can't keep guys who want to be paid veteran #1 overall pick money either (if they aren't worth it).

Something alot of people are forgetting is that its a contract year for Mario. There will be no sandbaggin, and we will see maybe the most effort out of the guy we have ever seen this year. Seems logical anyway right?

GP
08-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Something alot of people are forgetting is that its a contract year for Mario. There will be no sandbaggin, and we will see maybe the most effort out of the guy we have ever seen this year. Seems logical anyway right?

Or, he could get off to a slow start and be so discouraged that he decides to pack it in and say "I don't fit the 3-4 scheme. I need my 4-3 back."

Then watch the 4-3 teams line up to pay him whether he had a good year here in 2011 or not. Teams will think "Well, we didn't have to give up a draft pick for him...so we'll just pay him a bunch of money and see what we get!"

Never underestimate a human's rational or irrational "thinking" when it comes to money. We do whatever it takes to get what we want. And we justify it. Mario is no saint. His agent isn't either. It's ALL about the money. Period.

Tailgate
08-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Or, he could get off to a slow start and be so discouraged that he decides to pack it in and say "I don't fit the 3-4 scheme. I need my 4-3 back."

Then watch the 4-3 teams line up to pay him whether he had a good year here in 2011 or not. Teams will think "Well, we didn't have to give up a draft pick for him...so we'll just pay him a bunch of money and see what we get!"

Never underestimate a human's rational or irrational "thinking" when it comes to money. We do whatever it takes to get what we want. And we justify it. Mario is no saint. His agent isn't either. It's ALL about the money. Period.

Yes, and if its all about the money, packing it in is not really an option imo.

Allstar
08-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Rick Smith podcast on the Herd

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=6863924

GP
08-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Yes, and if its all about the money, packing it in is not really an option imo.

Boy howdy, I sure think it COULD be an option if he gets off to a poor start.

It's about money. He starts off well, he rockets into outer space. He doesn't get sacks, fewer tackles, etc., and you could see an attitude shift.

People are flawed. When we're up, we're up. When we're down, we're down.

For our sake, I hope he knocks this year out of the park. But I am cautious in the sense that, in the end, it's about money and he and his agent will adjust strategy if necessary. ESPECIALLY if a guy like JJ Watt goes bananas opposite him.

Tailgate
08-15-2011, 04:07 PM
Boy howdy, I sure think it COULD be an option if he gets off to a poor start.

It's about money. He starts off well, he rockets into outer space. He doesn't get sacks, fewer tackles, etc., and you could see an attitude shift.

People are flawed. When we're up, we're up. When we're down, we're down.

For our sake, I hope he knocks this year out of the park. But I am cautious in the sense that, in the end, it's about money and he and his agent will adjust strategy if necessary. ESPECIALLY if a guy like JJ Watt goes bananas opposite him.

I would think that a negative shift in attitude or "tanking" would be a bad stance to take in terms of presenting your overall value. I am not really even expecting that sort of crossroads to happen tbh. There is way more value in proving your worth as a 3-4 OLB in congruence with his success in the 4-3.

I believe Mario is licking his chops right now. And if the worst case scenario does play out... we willl not allow him to just leave, and they know that. He would still be franchised imo, and his trade costs would be high at that point. He doesnt have alot of room imo.

GP
08-15-2011, 04:11 PM
I would think that a negative shift in attitude or "tanking" would be a bad stance to take in terms of presenting your overall value. I am not really even expecting that sort of crossroads to happen tbh. There is way more value in proving your worth as a 3-4 OLB in congruence with his success in the 4-3.

I believe Mario is licking his chops right now.

I don't think he would make an obvious "tank job" or anything.

I just think he could be susceptible to maybe begin laying plans for a departure, which amounts to less focus and less desire to really turn up the heat.

I'm just saying that "Contract Year" does not just 100% translate into a guy playing way above his past rate of performance all of a sudden. He's in a new defense in his last year of contract. Plenty can go wrong.

Tailgate
08-15-2011, 04:18 PM
I don't think he would make an obvious "tank job" or anything.

I just think he could be susceptible to maybe begin laying plans for a departure, which amounts to less focus and less desire to really turn up the heat.

I'm just saying that "Contract Year" does not just 100% translate into a guy playing way above his past rate of performance all of a sudden. He's in a new defense in his last year of contract. Plenty can go wrong.

I get the devils advocate role, I do. Nothing is ever certain. But when you are drafting in fantasy football and you cant decide between two equal players, I always go with the player in a contract year over the other. You hear it all the time in general football talk for a reason. While the future is unwritten, its not a factor to simply sweep under the rug here either.

GP
08-15-2011, 04:28 PM
I get the devils advocate role, I do. Nothing is ever certain. But when you are drafting in fantasy football and you cant decide between two equal players, I always go with the player in a contract year over the other. You hear it all the time in general football talk for a reason. While the future is unwritten, its not a factor to simply sweep under the rug here either.

No.

You must agree with me. NOW.

GP
08-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Please?

:flowers:

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Don't you have patients that you should be seeing? LOL... Is that why it takes so damn long when I go to the doctor? They make you wait in the room, sitting their...snooping through the drawers for what feels like an eternity before the doc finally comes in. I guess you all are just cruising around the MBs. That's cool, I totally understand!

:spit: No kiddin

Just got back from having my patient wait for the past 4 hours, just so that I could reply to your posts. He's upset. BTW, I gave him your names and addresses. He'll be the one out in front of your homes wearing the hockey mask and holding the blow torch.:fingergun:

HOU-TEX
08-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Just got back from having my patient wait for the past 4 hours, just so that I could reply to your posts. He's upset. BTW, I gave him your names and addresses. He'll be the one out in front of your homes wearing the hockey mask and holding the blow torch.:fingergun:

:lol: Great, that's all I need

drs23
08-15-2011, 05:23 PM

Thanks Doc for such an unselfish act! :tiphat: :winky:

GP
08-15-2011, 05:42 PM
Doctor: (Looking down at his iPad that contains patient data) "Well, let's see here..........

Patient: "Yes?"

long pause

Patient: "Doc? What is it?"

Doc: (Continuing to glare at iPad screen) "Hmmmm....."

Patient: "It's bad, isn't it? You don't want to tell me, do you? Doc?"

Doc: (looking up at patient, smiling) "Oh, I was just trying to remember the name of the smilie emoticon for that chick who pulls her hair out of her skull because she's so mad at what someone just posted."

Patient: "So I'm gonna' be OK?!?!?"

Doc: "Oh hell no, you've got maybe two weeks. Tops. Say, do you know what that smilie is?"

El Tejano
08-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Any word on today's morning practice?

Allstar
08-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Any word on today's morning practice?

AdamSchefter
Arian Foster returned to practice today. "Im pretty much 100 percent but Im just not going to push myself past limit right now," he said.

Texas T
08-17-2011, 01:31 PM
AdamSchefter
Arian Foster returned to practice today. "Im pretty much 100 percent but Im just not going to push myself past limit right now," he said.

Party time!!!

Rey
08-17-2011, 01:33 PM
AdamSchefter

Sounds like Foster is starting to smell himslef.

IBleedTexans
08-17-2011, 02:24 PM

Man i thought I was the only one that noticed! I hope I don't get blasted for this but the man is walking around like his shit don't stink

michaelm
08-17-2011, 04:06 PM

Man i thought I was the only one that noticed! I hope I don't get blasted for this but the man is walking around like his shit don't stink

I dunno. Reading text of a quote can easily be taken out of context. I wouldn't be so quick to thump to any conclusions.

Mind you, I'm not saying that either of you are wrong, but it's hard to interpret these kind of things when you're reading text of a second hand quote.

Also, I'd be playing it conservatively if I were him anyway. He is playing for next to no $$$, in a contract year and not bitching about being underpaid like Chris Johnson.

Absolutely no reason for Foster to take unnecessary risks. Just get 100% healthy.

Kimmy
08-17-2011, 07:48 PM

One thread complaining of injuries, one thread thinking they're not pushing hard enough. Can't win 'round here! :whip:

ObsiWan
08-17-2011, 08:05 PM
I dunno. Reading text of a quote can easily be taken out of context. I wouldn't be so quick to thump to any conclusions.

Mind you, I'm not saying that either of you are wrong, but it's hard to interpret these kind of things when you're reading text of a second hand quote.

Also, I'd be playing it conservatively if I were him anyway. He is playing for next to no $$$, in a contract year and not bitching about being underpaid like Chris Johnson.

Absolutely no reason for Foster to take unnecessary risks. Just get 100% healthy.

And I would say he's doing that because that's the message (http://prod.www.texans.clubs.nfl.com/news/article-3/Quotes-Wednesday-practice/55b3a131-f28b-47f5-a7b7-fabd930e53de)he got from his boss, Kubiak...

Head Coach Gary Kubiak
(on RB Arian Foster) “I thought he looked good. We told him to be smart when he came out here today. It looked like he was fine, so hopefully every day’s a progression and we work towards Saturday night. It’s a good step in the right direction.”

Remember, we have a softness reputation to maintain. Can't have him going 100%, people will think we're trying to be tough or something.
:sarcasm:

drs23
08-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Remember, we have a softness reputation to maintain. Can't have him going 100%, people will think we're trying to be tough or something.
:sarcasm:

Yeah, really, no dookie! :sarcasm:

Rey
08-17-2011, 08:52 PM

I agree with you. My comment wasn't saying his strategy was wrong.

Just saying that he is starting to feel like a prized possession.

Nothing wrong with feeling fresh to death and too hot to touch. Especially if you can back it up.

He's not a fringe guy any more and despite people wanting him to do it another year, it appears that the team views him as the golden goose.

edo783
08-17-2011, 11:07 PM
Keep in mind that this is a guy with a different perspective on life and a bit of an odd ball sense of humor. When asked how many reps it will take him to get ready for the season he answered "62 man 62. This is real science you know". Giving answers like that and being told to be moderate in what he does probably precipitated the response.

HOU-TEX
08-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Does anyone know if Tate is practicing today?

That dude's beginning to piss me off. If he practices I'd make him play most of the game Saturday. Give Foster a series or two then make Tate carry the load the remainder of the game.

Cjeremy635
08-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Does anyone know if Tate is practicing today?

That dude's beginning to piss me off. If he practices I'd make him play most of the game Saturday. Give Foster a series or two then make Tate carry the load the remainder of the game.

Per Cloak in the "Curious case of Benjamin Tate" thread:

Tate is out there in pads this morning!

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84024&page=2

HOU-TEX
08-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Per Cloak in the "Curious case of Benjamin Tate" thread:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84024&page=2

Ok, coo. Run his ass off. Maybe his panties will loosen up a bit

GuerillaBlack
08-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Ok, coo. Run his ass off. Maybe his panties will loosen up a bit

We never know how injured a player is....

Cjeremy635
08-18-2011, 11:25 AM
We never know how injured a player is....

Agreed, but all of these guys have to learn to suck it up and play through injuries. It comes down to how bad do you want it. Maybe he feels that since he was drafted high that he won't get cut if he can't/won't play. On the other hand, you see someone like Foster, who was scared to miss a game last season for fear of losing his starting spot. He played through injury and that's what football is about. Granted, playing through an injury within reason. Tate may be expecting to be 100%, all of the time, but that's not the reality of an NFL player. Those guys are sore and dinged up on a regular basis. I think the mental part of the game (the make-up of the player and willingness to push through the pain) is what seperates those that are average from great.

silvrhand
08-18-2011, 06:11 PM
Agreed, but all of these guys have to learn to suck it up and play through injuries. It comes down to how bad do you want it. Maybe he feels that since he was drafted high that he won't get cut if he can't/won't play. On the other hand, you see someone like Foster, who was scared to miss a game last season for fear of losing his starting spot. He played through injury and that's what football is about. Granted, playing through an injury within reason. Tate may be expecting to be 100%, all of the time, but that's not the reality of an NFL player. Those guys are sore and dinged up on a regular basis. I think the mental part of the game (the make-up of the player and willingness to push through the pain) is what seperates those that are average from great.

There is playing through pain of bumps, bruises, and pain but pulled hamstrings are just not something you can play through as a RB. All you are doing is asking you to rip/tear the hamstring even worse.

The Third Man
08-18-2011, 07:14 PM

Nothing like an internet warrior lecturing pro athletes about intestinal fortitude.

GP
08-18-2011, 07:40 PM
There is playing through pain of bumps, bruises, and pain but pulled hamstrings are just not something you can play through as a RB. All you are doing is asking you to rip/tear the hamstring even worse.

I think CND and OtisBean have also alluded to the ways muscles in areas are inter-connected (for lack of a better word that I am sure exists!).

If you have a jacked-up hammy, you could injure your groin by not letting the hammy heal. I think that's what was being said elsewhere, along the same lines as this conversation.

Weakness in one area can cause an adjoining or complimentary area to work harder or do more of the load (or to not have the support that's usually provided by nearby muscles/ligaments). So one type of injury can potentially bring about new injuries due to the ways the body works.

IIRC, this was being discussed at like 3 or 5 a.m. between CND and OtisBean, and it got overlooked by a lot of people. Hope I am representing the conversation correctly.

If so, then it means everybody needs to re-think their concepts of what it means to merely "suck it up" and fight through an injury. The last thing we want is any of our premiere starters, nor our depth players, trying to come back too soon during 4 weeks of preseason games. Gonna' need everybody once the games start counting for real.

Studdard might be done for weeks, maybe the whole season, and it will have meant his injury happened in an instant...during the very first half of the very first preseason game. Injuries can happen anywhere, any time. But if a guy is dealing with an injury, it makes sense to slow down if you can afford to.

Brisco_County
08-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Getting back to practice and game-day updates:

NickScurfield Nick Scurfield
Kubiak said Jean will be competing right next to Dorin Dickerson when he wakes up in the morning

So it looks like the Texans' RBs vs. Saints will be Foster, Tate, Ogbonnaya & Javarris Williams, who signed last week

On Braman:

Not to mention he plays with a crazy motor. His teammates & coaches have taken notice. He's eager to prove Mon night was no fluke

Texans coach Gary Kubiak said this afternoon that LB Brian Cushing (knee) is "ready to go." Final decision on his availablity to be made tom

CloakNNNdagger
08-18-2011, 09:03 PM
I think CND and OtisBean have also alluded to the ways muscles in areas are inter-connected (for lack of a better word that I am sure exists!).

If you have a jacked-up hammy, you could injure your groin by not letting the hammy heal. I think that's what was being said elsewhere, along the same lines as this conversation.

Weakness in one area can cause an adjoining or complimentary area to work harder or do more of the load (or to not have the support that's usually provided by nearby muscles/ligaments). So one type of injury can potentially bring about new injuries due to the ways the body works.

IIRC, this was being discussed at like 3 or 5 a.m. between CND and OtisBean, and it got overlooked by a lot of people. Hope I am representing the conversation correctly.

If so, then it means everybody needs to re-think their concepts of what it means to merely "suck it up" and fight through an injury. The last thing we want is any of our premiere starters, nor our depth players, trying to come back too soon during 4 weeks of preseason games. Gonna' need everybody once the games start counting for real.

Studdard might be done for weeks, maybe the whole season, and it will have meant his injury happened in an instant...during the very first half of the very first preseason game. Injuries can happen anywhere, any time. But if a guy is dealing with an injury, it makes sense to slow down if you can afford to.

Rep is indicated. You, my good sir, have essentially represented an excellent basic summary of some of our "conversations." Being too much of a warrior can make a player an ex-warrior very quickly..........sometimes permanently.

b0ng
08-18-2011, 11:31 PM
I hope Tate gets some good work in against NO.

otisbean
08-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Rep is indicated. You, my good sir, have essentially represented an excellent basic summary of some of our "conversations." Being too much of a warrior can make a player an ex-warrior very quickly..........sometimes permanently.

Amen to that! Good post by GP as well!

There is a significant difference between pain and injury. Pain is the burning in your legs as you run a quarter mile or the feeling of wanting to puke when training at max intensity. If you want to be the best you need to learn to "suck it up" in the presence of pain.

Being injured is a whole different animal. When you tear muscle fibers you have to let them heal properly. If you don't you risk further damage to that muscle or the muscles that work in conjunction with the injured muscle. Given what these athletes are paid I would rather give them the time to heal properly and return to a functional state then have them "push through" an injury and risk being placed on the DL for the season. These forces these athletes place on their bodies are incredible. They need everything to be working properly for optimal performance.

Errant Hothy
08-22-2011, 02:00 PM
I'm starting to think that an Arian Foster quote thread would be a gret idea.

Foster on Kubiak saying starters will play 3 qrtrs vs SF: "I'm just a chess piece. If Bobby Fischer tells me to go, I'm gonna go."

pirbroke
08-22-2011, 02:38 PM

I all for it, and put a sticky on it. He seems to be picking up the pace of quotes lately. quite the witty person he is.

GP
08-22-2011, 03:54 PM
We can steamroll the 9ers if we play starters 3 quarters.

It's not even fair, actually.

Of course, this is IF the new d-coord makes sure the players remember to play hard and take nothing for granted. First two games, IMO, he has prepared them and coached them well.

ObsiWan
08-22-2011, 04:47 PM

Go for it.

ObsiWan
08-22-2011, 04:53 PM
We can steamroll the 9ers if we play starters 3 quarters.

It's not even fair, actually.

Of course, this is IF the new d-coord makes sure the players remember to play hard and take nothing for granted. First two games, IMO, he has prepared them and coached them well.

Careful. Remember that we had trouble stopping the Saints' running game. Frank Gore is coming to town and he's more of a load than any of the Saints' RBs.

And previously (pre-Wade, admittedly), we have had a bad habit of making young, sucky QBs look like pro-bowlers.

If this were regular season, I'd call this a trap game.

b0ng
08-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Careful. Remember that we had trouble stopping the Saints' running game. Frank Gore is coming to town and he's more of a load than any of the Saints' RBs.

And previously (pre-Wade, admittedly), we have had a bad habit of making young, sucky QBs look like pro-bowlers.

If this were regular season, I'd call this a trap game.

Miami is the trap game this year.

DocBar
08-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Miami is the trap game this year.Maybe dah Raidahs? Or Browns? Or Bengals? or... it's hard to predict the trap games for this team. They've been to inconsistent for 9 years.

GP
08-22-2011, 09:26 PM
I see four possibly losses, just on strength-of-opponent:

1. Steelers

2. Ravens

3. Saints

4. The 2nd Colts game at Indy.

The other 12 games could be wins for us (SHOULD be wins for us)

But wait! There's MORE!!!

You always lose a game or two you shouldn't, which I count as follows:

1. Browns

2. Miami (We're 5-0 lifetime on them)

3. Raiders

BUT WAIT! THERE'S EVEN MORE!!!!!

You also win a game or two you shouldn't or might not normally win:

1. Any or all four of the first group of teams I listed at the start if this post.

All of that is to say that this year's Texans COULD post anywhere from an 11-5 to even a 12-4 or an unlikely 13-3 record if God is willing.

Even at 11-5, it could win the division if the Colts/Jags/Titans do not perform well on their own schedules. To me, the Titans are likely to be the worst in the South. Jags have no sacks this preseason, and in fact have not even remotely pressured the opposing QB thus far (Del Rio says there's no problem, but Kubiak is also saying Mario is lookin' good too, so ya' know....). That leaves the Colts--If Manning goes on PUP at Week 1, he's out until Week 7, IIRC according to reg season PUP rules.

I don't see the Colts throwing Manning against the Texans 3-4 defense in Week 1 at Reliant. Not after spending the bank on him just recently. That neck can't get jacked up like Theisman out there, or that's money wasted and a QB gone...likely for good, if they throw him against WP's defense in Week 1.

This year, with changes of true VALUE being made on the defense, stands to be the year that Kubiak can let loose and throw all his magic beans into the ground and see what grows. I hope it's a beanstalk that leads to the playoffs.