PDA

View Full Version : Texans sign FB Lawrence Vickers

Pages : 1 [2]

Shaft75
08-03-2011, 11:08 AM
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af284/s_thatcher/south_park_stan.jpg

I'm still looking for the hidden camera in my office...

Rey
08-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Definitely agreed.
With Vonta, I never had a lack of confidence with his ball handling ability, or feared that he was going to fumble (Jacoby), but I knew he was going to run in a straight line until the first tackler made contact.

I remember a few training camps back vonta caught a couple passes out of the backfield and dunta was just putting a shoulder into him and knocking him down.

Vonta was a good blocker but he was worse than David Anderson when it came to making a play with the ball in his hands.

I thought that he would be able to at least truck some ppl, but I never saw it.

gary
08-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Need an LB? How about Lofa Tatupu?

Rey
08-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Need an LB? How about Lofa Tatupu?

He didn't want to take a pay cut in Seattle. I don't think we'd have the money to sign him.

michaelm
08-03-2011, 11:19 AM
I'll take Floyd too.

JasonLaCanfora: WR Malcolm Floyd, one of few big fish out there, nearing a decision. SD, SF, CAR, BAL, AZ all possibilities. Some interested teams working..
Original Tweet: http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/statuses/98789763938648064

Rey
08-03-2011, 11:20 AM
The money would have to be right, and only after the team addressed certain other needs first (more depth at ILB, quality depth at G).

I'm not convinced that WR#2 is as mcuh of a need as others on the board, and I'm not convinced any of the WRs still on the market would be a good insurance policy for AJ.

Briesel, Caldwell, Shelley smith (who was running with the first team) are all in play at the guard spot opposite wade smith. Then they brought back studdard.

I doubt they are worrying about depth at guard.

Trap_Star
08-03-2011, 11:20 AM
morlon greenwood might be looking for work.

michaelm
08-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Tweet by TexansChick:

StephStradley: Think some overly focused on #Texans FB position & affect on @ArianFoster, but look at all the returning O linemen. Key in short offseason.
Original Tweet: http://twitter.com/StephStradley/statuses/98790038170648577

Errant Hothy
08-03-2011, 11:22 AM
He didn't want to take a pay cut in Seattle. I don't think we'd have the money to sign him.

This, and the Bears seem interested.

We don't need another starter, just somebody able to spell Ryans and Cushing and not look a total disaster if he needs to play more then that.

Kirk Morrison would be ideal in my opinion.

vupac1
08-03-2011, 11:23 AM

and i think he's pretty washed up anyways

Errant Hothy
08-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Briesel, Caldwell, Shelley smith (who was running with the first team) are all in play at the guard spot opposite wade smith. Then they brought back studdard.

I doubt they are worrying about depth at guard.

I know and they may feel that way. I don't. I worry about the quality of depth at all the interior line spots. Just my opinion.

b0ng
08-03-2011, 11:25 AM
and i think he's pretty washed up anyways

He's had some major knee surgeries but he could still be decent. Wants too much money though.

SOmebody please tell me how Daryl Sharpton has looked out there. I really liked what I saw of him last year as a rookie but I have yet to hear a peep about him.

El Tejano
08-03-2011, 11:27 AM
A criticism that I had with Vonta is that once he caught the ball and took a couple of steps, he sure seemed to go down quickly and easily. Vickers is quicker/faster and hopefully can gain greater yardage before going down.

I've thought the same. If you go and look at some of Vicker's receiving TDs, they are on play action roll outs and Vickers has very little room to make the catch. Vonta wouldn't be able to make those catches.

gary
08-03-2011, 11:28 AM
JasonLaCanfora: WR Malcolm Floyd, one of few big fish out there, nearing a decision. SD, SF, CAR, BAL, AZ all possibilities. Some interested teams working..
Original Tweet: http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/statuses/98789763938648064Out of those teams I would say the ladder three because I don't see him going to San Francisco or re-signing but you never know.

Texecutioner
08-03-2011, 11:28 AM
He could very well be waiting for injuries to happen around TC's before he decides to lowball himself back to the Chargers and being behind VJax and Gates in terms of receiving options.

Either way, with the Vickers signing and Smith saying we are already over the cap, I doubt a Floyd, Edwards, or any name WR is going to be signing with us this season.

I think that once we resigned JJ, signing some other WR as a potential upgrade went out the window then.

The Pencil Neck
08-03-2011, 11:32 AM
I think that once we resigned JJ, signing some other WR as a potential upgrade went out the window then.

I wish you were wrong about that but I'm pretty sure you're right.

But... I've got high hopes for the UDFA class of WRs we picked up. Could be a couple of diamonds in there.

HOU-TEX
08-03-2011, 11:33 AM
What's wrong with bringing Bentley back? He ain't the best, but he's filled in decently before. I think he'd fit in well as an ILB in a 3-4

The Pencil Neck
08-03-2011, 11:34 AM
What's wrong with bringing Bentley back? He ain't the best, but he's filled in decently before. I think he'd fit in well as an ILB in a 3-4

I wouldn't be surprised by this.

jaayteetx
08-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Saw we're going to sign him, my question is why did he only start four games last year, was he injured?

El Tejano
08-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Probably because the formation in the other 12 games didn't start out with a FB.

Rey
08-03-2011, 11:35 AM
I know and they may feel that way. I don't. I worry about the quality of depth at all the interior line spots. Just my opinion.

Understood.

b0ng
08-03-2011, 11:37 AM

I agree with this. However, it does not bother me in the least about our team either.

michaelm
08-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Probably because the formation in the other 12 games didn't start out with a FB.

I might have misunderstood, but I think he was referring to Bentley.

Wolf
08-03-2011, 11:47 AM
thank goodness!!!!!!!! Mods, please change the title of the thread!!

this^^^

b0ng
08-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Saw we're going to sign him, my question is why did he only start four games last year, was he injured?

some injuries, also, Eric Mangini being the head coach of the Browns.

Porky
08-03-2011, 11:51 AM
I'm also pumped up about the Vickers signing, and that is pennies on the dollar compared to what Leach signed for so it's good value as well.

Vickers isn't the blocker Vonta is, I mean there were time I swear Vonta was on the FBI most wanted list for murdering LB's but....vickers is in the converstation in that next group, and I don't think we'll miss a beat.

Don't get me wrong, Vonta is all-pro, but if we can just be "good" there, then that is plenty good enough. I don't believe in Casey as a traditional blocking FB, but I would like to see him work in as an H-back Frank Wycheck type of player.

I also think Vickers could be at least slightly better in the pass catching game, as I think he has a bit more speed. He isn't going to carry the ball anymore than Vonta, which basically means zero or next to zero.

Anyone know what kind of Special Teamer this guy is? Is he a valuable addition on ST as well?

b0ng
08-03-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm also pumped up about the Vickers signing, and that is pennies on the dollar compared to what Leach signed for so it's good value as well.

Vickers isn't the blocker Vonta is, I mean there were time I swear Vonta was on the FBI most wanted list for murdering LB's but....vickers is in the converstation in that next group, and I don't think we'll miss a beat.

Don't get me wrong, Vonta is all-pro, but if we can just be "good" there, then that is plenty good enough. I don't believe in Casey as a traditional blocking FB, but I would like to see him work in as an H-back Frank Wycheck type of player.

I also think Vickers could be at least slightly better in the pass catching game, as I think he has a bit more speed. He isn't going to carry the ball anymore than Vonta, which basically means zero or next to zero.

Anyone know what kind of Special Teamer this guy is? Is he a valuable addition on ST as well?

It's all lip service to me. Just a PR move to keep the turnstiles moving and the beer selling another year. I tend to be one that says don't tell me what your going to do, show me what you are going to do. Seeing is believing.

He can say how much he wants to win - but he hasn't shown it. And now we let Leach go, another move a loser makes just at a time when we were gaining momentum this offseason. That is showing me that he doesn't want to win. We needed to keep Leach and 3 yrs at 11 mil is reasonable for an all-pro who helped turn a UDFA into the league's top RB a yr ago. You don't replace a guy like that with someone off the street.

The wool gets pulled over our eyes again, but some of us understand this man's losing mentality.

You over Leach being gone yet?

vupac1
08-03-2011, 11:57 AM

Potayto, Potahto...

I see it as Leach was an All-World punishing lead blocker, while Vickers can be an All-Pro complete FB...

Where Leach would hit a LB and make him poo and piss himself... Vickers will only be able to knock the snot outta them

But when you compare the difference in salaries in relation to the difference in productivity.. the value is just a no-brainer

steelbtexan
08-03-2011, 11:58 AM
I might have misunderstood, but I think he was referring to Bentley.

Yes

Bentley should stay he's the best ST'er on the team. They will add depth later on when the last cuts are made. Unless somebody is willing to sign as a FA on the Texans terms.

Fans completely undervalue ST's. For this reason Bentley stays.

ArlingtonTexan
08-03-2011, 12:01 PM
thank goodness!!!!!!!! Mods, please change the title of the thread!!

We all do work every now and then :hurryup:

Rey
08-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Yes

Bentley should stay he's the best ST'er on the team. They will add depth later on when the last cuts are made. Unless somebody is willing to sign as a FA on the Texans terms.

Fans completely undervalue ST's. For this reason Bentley stays.

I dont think Bentley is on the team.

I thought they should have kept him, but last year he looked liked he had gained too much weight to me. He wasn't a factor on special teams either.

I really believe they want to go with younger, faster, more athletic guys in the lb corps. Bentley doesn't fit that bill.

The udfa's that we brought in have a chance to stick IMO.

Porky
08-03-2011, 12:12 PM
You over Leach being gone yet?

WEll, everything being equal of course I take Leach. But that's a 2.5 million savings per year off Leach. It's kind of like having to trade in your Lexus LS460, but you trade it in for a nice Buick (or insert whatever nice non-luxury car here).

Leach was a Lexus, but I'm happy with the Buick for the savings. I was worried they were going to pretend that Casey is a legit FB and not go after anyone else. In fact, I am worried what I just read on the Chron site about Casey being in the lead for the starters job over Vickers. No way in hell will that happen unless they plan on utilizing an H-Back in favor of a traditional FB.

Texas T
08-03-2011, 12:19 PM
I don't know about the current cap but it would be nice to have another good receiver on this team.

Once again (I brought this up in another thread too) no one here is looking at Steve Smith (Gaints) as a #2, why is that?? I think for a one year deal he'd be worth it and it would allow the newbees to get some time and another successful WR to learn from.

I'm good with Walters but I'm still not convinced that JJ can hack it as a #2 WR.

michaelm
08-03-2011, 12:24 PM
I don't see anyone on the current Texans roster with #47, so Vickers can keep that number if he wants to as far as I can tell.

b0ng
08-03-2011, 12:26 PM
WEll, everything being equal of course I take Leach. But that's a 2.5 million savings per year off Leach. It's kind of like having to trade in your Lexus LS460, but you trade it in for a nice Buick (or insert whatever nice non-luxury car here).

Leach was a Lexus, but I'm happy with the Buick for the savings. I was worried they were going to pretend that Casey is a legit FB and not go after anyone else. In fact, I am worried what I just read on the Chron site about Casey being in the lead for the starters job over Vickers. No way in hell will that happen unless they plan on utilizing an H-Back in favor of a traditional FB.

The Texans might say that, but Vickers couldn't practice with us anyway right now so of course Casey is in the lead :P

Quote from Vickers from june, very interesting stuff:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/06/fullback_lawrence_vickers_bewi.html

“He said he was known as a versatile fullback as a rookie in 2006 coming out of Colorado, which ran an offense copied from Mike Shanahan’s West Coast system with the Denver Broncos at the time.

Vickers had more than 500 yards rushing and receiving in his career at Colorado.

“I am a West Coast fullback. That’s what they don’t understand,” he said.

He said he became typecast as a “knockout fullback” the past two years because that’s how he earned playing time.

“I was on a team where they don’t even use a fullback,” he said of the Browns’ offense under former coach Eric Mangini."

EDIT: Colorado connection status = Green light GO GO GO GO GO

Section516
08-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Good. I love insurance going into a season. If Casey doesn't cut it, in comes Vickers w/ experience and attitude..

Really wish we looked into A. Franklin. If he would of taken a one year deal, i would of felt even better about the defense.

michaelm
08-03-2011, 12:34 PM
A tweet from AJ at the Examiner

AlanBurge: I'm not totally discounting the notion that Arian Foster helped Leach as much as Leach helped Arian. Time will tell. #texans #nfl
Original Tweet: http://twitter.com/AlanBurge/statuses/98807912461385728

badboy
08-03-2011, 12:59 PM
"and Thunder rolls..."

Dan B.
08-03-2011, 01:05 PM
I still say we should have gotten a backup QB for 1.5 mil and spent Leinart's money on Leach. I think a starting FB is going to be involved more often than a second string QB.

Allstar
08-03-2011, 01:08 PM
I still say we should have gotten a backup QB for 1.5 mil and spent Leinart's money on Leach. I think a starting FB is going to be involved more often than a second string QB.

Many people could make the argument that the backup QB is far more important than the starting FB.

badboy
08-03-2011, 01:09 PM
I still say we should have gotten a backup QB for 1.5 mil and spent Leinart's money on Leach. I think a starting FB is going to be involved more often than a second string QB.Don't think that is the concern...more like what are options if either QB or FB goes down? Even with Leinert, we have little hope. If FB goes we have multi options.

DX-TEX
08-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Many people could make the argument that the backup QB is far more important than the starting FB.

I would.

Dan B.
08-03-2011, 01:17 PM

Many others could make the argument that an all pro starter is far more important than a guy that didn't play a single down last year. The beef on Leach's value is that he only saw action in like 1/3 of our offensive plays. That still beats Matt's 0% of our offensive plays, doesn't it? What did Leinart do last year, or in his career, to merit 3.5 mill a year? It's Dan-O all over again. Pay a guy 3 million to sit on the bench. Stupid.

There were two Texans last year that I would take without hesitation over anyone in the league at their position -- AJ and Leach. You don't let the best guy at their position walk away.

Errant Hothy
08-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Many others could make the argument that an all pro starter is far more important than a guy that didn't play a single down last year. The beef on Leach's value is that he only saw action in like 1/3 of our offensive plays. That still beats Matt's 0% of our offensive plays, doesn't it? What did Leinart do last year, or in his career, to merit 3.5 mill a year? It's Dan-O all over again. Pay a guy 3 million to sit on the bench. Stupid.

There were two Texans last year that I would take without hesitation over anyone in the league at their position -- AJ and Leach. You don't let the best guy at their position walk away.

Unless of course he plays one of the least valuable positions on an NFL roster. There is just a slight difference between being the best WR in the NFL and being the best FB.

Playoffs
08-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Don't think that is the concern...
I agree. We're in deep trouble if we lose AJ or Schaub.

Corrosion
08-03-2011, 01:34 PM

On just about any team in the NFL , if your starting QB goes down , your season is toast.

This years Texans team is no different. Hell they may as well have saved the $$ on Leinart and gone with Yates as the #2 resigning Leach. The results would be no different than with Leinart backing up Schaub.

Schaub goes down for an extended period of time - Season Done.

badboy
08-03-2011, 01:39 PM

"What he said! That's the dayum truth!" signed Nnamdi Asomugha

Texan_Bill
The Texans might say that, but Vickers couldn't practice with us anyway right now so of course Casey is in the lead :P

Quote from Vickers from june, very interesting stuff:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/06/fullback_lawrence_vickers_bewi.html

EDIT: Colorado connection status = Green light GO GO GO GO GO

But, he's from Beaumont and lives here in Houston! ;)

Ole Miss Texan
You do let him walk when he commands a 3 year $11 Million contract and you go and sign a guy that will be just as good for 2 years $3 Million.

I think as fans we're putting Leach up on a pedestal. Leach was a great blocker... but I think most fans are hyping Leach up because he's a PUNISHING blocker. Maybe Vickers won't completey destroy a LB like Leach would, but it doesn't mean he'll be any less effective.

I like Leach just as much as the next guy, he was one of my favorites but I'm not about to paint him into some untouchable figure.

badboy
08-03-2011, 01:42 PM
You do let him walk when he commands a 3 year $11 Million contract and you go and sign a guy that will be just as good for 2 years $3 Million.

I think as fans we're putting Leach up on a pedestal. Leach was a great blocker... but I think most fans are hyping Leach up because he's a PUNISHING blocker. Maybe Vickers won't completey destroy a LB like Leach would, but it doesn't mean he'll be any less effective.

I like Leach just as much as the next guy, he was one of my favorites but I'm not about to paint him into some untouchable figure.Yep, a block to move an obstacle out of the play is just as effective as a pancake block. I just like to see the latter.

GP
08-03-2011, 01:44 PM
After watching both the highlights video of Vickers and the interview of Vickers, I haver to say that we might have actually GAINED a better FB.

This is not a knee-jerk statement.

This is after having watched Vickers highlights where he's (A) hitting areas of the field faster than Leach would have, and (B) receiving passes and turning upfield faster and with better balance than Leach did.

In pass catching situations with Leach, he'd sort of twist and leap for the reception...and then he'd be off-balance as he turned up field (like a guy with too much bulk who has less flexibility) and he's peddling his feet trying to find the ground, but soon after that he's getting tackled low by the defender who has had time to catch up to him.

With Vickers, he's catching the ball and turning upfield in one fluid motion like a running back would.

Like Leach, Vickers does not shy away from contact. In fact, he craves it and wants it. If anybody has NOT seen the interview then you have no room to question Vickers in my opinion. He talks about how he knows how LBs think; how they want to shed the FB and deflect the contact so they can make a play on the RB...and he then says he won't let them shed him--He will seek them out and make them confront him on the field during each play. He talks about how "Nobody gets to MY running back. Nobody gets to MY quarterback. Nobody." I mean it's like shiver-down-the-spine stuff, the old school NFL stuff you see on NFL Films archives.

Frankly, I'm shocked we only signed him to a 2-year deal. I suppose it's best to have a 2-year trial period...but still, I hope we don't set ourselves up to lose him 2 years from now.

This guy is going to be a jersey guy. You're going to want a jersey with Vickers on it. He's like if Ray Lewis was a FB.

In fact, you should see the video a Ravens fan posted on YouTube where pregame Vickers RUNS toward Ray Lewis and gets in Ray's face BIG TIME. And folks, Vickers was not going backwards when Ray approached him. In fact, players and refs had to step in and make sure it didn't get ugly before the game even started. Watch him come out of the tunnel. Watch him gather the guys in a huddle and do a Ray-Ray with the guys, pumping them up.

Joseph, Manning, and Vickers will be very vital signings. It's the sort of signing that I think can make a huge difference. With the Vickers signing, a surge of pure electricity and adrenaline just entered the body of Arian Foster.

Guys, I know it might sound like hyperbole here...but Vickers is going to be every bit the guy Leach was. Maybe even more. Those times when Leach caught the ball and had daylight? Vickers will convert that into something better. Just go watch the highlights. Watch the interview. Superbadass.

Dan B.
08-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Unless of course he plays one of the least valuable positions on an NFL roster.

I disagree that FB is one of the least valuable positions. I think it's underappreciated, but crucial to solid steady offensive production. Leach is getting the same as others at his position that produce at the same level. He's wasn't asking for anything unusually large. I also think that a second string QB is a lot easier to find than an elite FB. There were dozens of QB's on the market this year that the Texans could have made a run for. Ask yourself whether you really think Leainart was worth 3.5 large. Do you think the Texans could have found another player with better credentials for that much?

There is just a slight difference between being the best WR in the NFL and being the best FB.

Which is probably why AJ makes more than 4 million.

Texas T
08-03-2011, 01:49 PM
After watching both the highlights video of Vickers and the interview of Vickers, I haver to say that we might have actually GAINED a better FB.

This is after having watched Vickers highlights where he's (A) hitting areas of the field faster than Leach would have, and (B) receiving passes and turning upfield faster and with better balance than Leach did.

In pass catching situations with Leach, he'd sort of twist and leap for the reception...and then he'd be off-balance as he turned up field (like a guy with too much bulk who has less flexibility) and he's peddling his feet trying to find the ground, but soon after that he's getting tackled low by the defender who has had time to catch up to him.

With Vickers, he's catching the ball and turning upfield in one fluid motion like a running back would.

Like Leach, Vickers does not shy away from contact. In fact, he craves it and wants it. If anybody has NOT seen the interview then you have no room to question Vickers in my opinion. He talks about how he knows how LBs think; how they want to shed the FB and deflect the contact so they can make a play on the RB...and he then says he won't let them shed him--He will seek them out and make them confront him on the field during each play. He talks about how "Nobody gets to MY running back. Nobody gets to MY quarterback. Nobody." I mean it's like shiver-down-the-spine stuff, the old school NFL stuff you see on NFL Films archives.

Frankly, I'm shocked we only signed him to a 2-year deal. I suppose it's best to have a 2-year trial period...but still, I hope we don't set ourselves up to lose him 2 years from now.

This guy is going to be a jersey guy. You're going to want a jersey with Vickers on it. He's like if Ray Lewis was a FB.

In fact, you should see the video a Ravens fan posted on YouTube where pregame Vickers RUNS toward Ray Lewis and gets in Ray's face BIG TIME. And folks, Vickers was not going backwards when Ray approached him. In fact, players and refs had to step in and make sure it didn't get ugly before the game even started. Watch him come out of the tunnel. Watch him gather the guys in a huddle and do a Ray-Ray with the guys, pumping them up.

Joseph, Manning, and Vickers will be very vital signings. It's the sort of signing that I think can make a huge difference. With the Vickers signing, a surge of pure electricity and adrenaline just entered the body of Arian Foster.

Guys, I know it might sound like hyperbole here...but Vickers is going to be every bit the guy Leach was. Maybe even more. Those times when Leach caught the ball and had daylight? Vickers will convert that into something better. Just go watch the highlights. Watch the interview. Superbadass.

Any specific links or just youtube??

Wolf
08-03-2011, 01:50 PM
hell, Hillis ran for almost 1200 yards, so I think we will be ok.

GP
08-03-2011, 01:50 PM
We talk about toughness and needing guys who are enforcers and have a bit of thug in them?

Vickers is that. Period. He admittedly says he is not a thug off the field, has never had off the field problems. But on the field he is transformed. He's a different beast altogether.

I have a feeling the Titans will learn that Andre Johnson is not the only one who will throw down when we meet up with them. I fully expect Vickers to find an offending Titans player and feed his ass to the turf if needed.

Dude is like a boss. Man, I am just so freaking FIRED UP!!!! I admit I didn't think McNair could step up to the plate and push us over the cap and then need to restructure to get under the cap. I mean, we all talk about how we needed to make a splash and get REALLY serious with free agency. And we did. I also admit that I was hooked on CB Crack (Wanting Aso badly) but man oh man we did the right thing by going with a S/CB combo in Manning/Joseph. And to follow that up by cutting two fringe players (Amobi and Anderson) an older punter (Turk) and re-signing a slew of other guys? Then to sign Vickers as well???? Dadgum this makes me excited.

Dan B.
08-03-2011, 01:52 PM
hell, Hillis ran for almost 1200 yards, so I think we will be ok.

Yeah, but what percentage of those runs was Vickers lead blocking on?

badboy
08-03-2011, 01:52 PM
I want to see Vickers hanging with the Defenisve players when not on field. Banging helmets with Cushing and Demeco, slapping Williams (sort of get angry big man) and screaming at Smith "Crunch the Qb, lard ass!"

Brandon420tx
08-03-2011, 01:53 PM
You can use that arguement because most of fosters big runs were out of singleback sets

Ole Miss Texan
08-03-2011, 01:53 PM
I disagree that FB is one of the least valuable positions.
In our offense, and just about any other, I would rank QB, RB, WR, TE, OT, OG, C as more valuable thant he FB. On defense: DE, DT, LB, CB, S is more valuable. So by process of elimination.... FB is in fact one of the lease "valuable".

But I do agree with you that the FB position is underappreciated. I love it and I'm thankful Kubiak/Dennison utilize it.

GP
08-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Here's the video interview with Vickers (http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/browns-insider-lawrence-vickers-interview/14e3a1f0-69bf-46e6-874c-9e6eebf73cdd) back when he was with the Browns.

Better watch it fast, the Browns might take it down now that he's gone.

Tell me you don't want to go out there and play some tackle football RIGHT NOW after having watched that interview. Tell me you don't! TELL ME!!!!!

Wolf
08-03-2011, 01:56 PM

I figured about as much as we used Leach

Ole Miss Texan
08-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Any specific links or just youtube??

Browns Insider: Lawrence Vickers Interview (http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Browns-Insider-Lawrence-Vickers-Interview/14e3a1f0-69bf-46e6-874c-9e6eebf73cdd)

youtube: Peyton Hillis highlights... Look for #47

jaayteetx
Here's the video interview with Vickers (http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/browns-insider-lawrence-vickers-interview/14e3a1f0-69bf-46e6-874c-9e6eebf73cdd) back when he was with the Browns.

Better watch it fast, the Browns might take it down now that he's gone.

Tell me you don't want to go out there and play some tackle football RIGHT NOW after having watched that interview. Tell me you don't! TELL ME!!!!!

ya and within the first five minutes my old ass would have some kind of injury, how could we do that stuff as kids and hardly ever get hurt?

Errant Hothy
I disagree that FB is one of the least valuable positions. I think it's underappreciated, but crucial to solid steady offensive production. Leach is getting the same as others at his position that produce at the same level. He's wasn't asking for anything unusually large. I also think that a second string QB is a lot easier to find than an elite FB. There were dozens of QB's on the market this year that the Texans could have made a run for. Ask yourself whether you really think Leainart was worth 3.5 large. Do you think the Texans could have found another player with better credentials for that much?

Name the positions that you think are less valuable than FB?

Leach wanted to get paid, and I don't blame him for that; but I'm gald the Texans choose to spend the money they could have given Leach elsewhere, and that includes Lienart.

GP
08-03-2011, 02:00 PM

Someone attributed the 140 yards Hillis gained vs. Ravens in their first matchup to Vickers lead blocking.

In the second Ravens game, apparently the Ravens stacked the box and sold out stopping the run. Which makes sense if (a) you got burned for 140 the first time, and (b) you're daring the craptastic Browns' passing game to beat you.

When a team like the Ravens wants to dedicate all its resources to stopping your strength (in that case it was Vickers/Hillis) then they can. And will.

michaelm
08-03-2011, 02:01 PM

In my best Forest Gump voice;

"This is all I got to say about that":

I hate to say it, but Lawrence Vickers would make this fan base forget about Vonta Leach pretty quickly.
Dude is an instant fan favorite if he signs here.

Not only is he a badass blocker, but he looks faster, quicker and more athletic than Vonta. He also looks like he would be a better receiver, and better running the ball.

Blocking is the one area where I'd give the edge to Leach, and not by very much at all.
Add his obvious passion and attitude... man, that's the kind of FOOTBALL PLAYER you want on your team, no freakin doubt.

GP
08-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Here's the video where Vickers calls Ray Lewis out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiXGTARUjOs) into the street for an Old West gunfight.

Apparently, there's bad blood between the Browns and Ravens. (Duh).

Dan B.
08-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Name the positions that you think are less valuable than FB?

Split End/ second TE,
Second string QB, obviously.

It's not just about the importance of each position, it's what each player brings for their salary. I think Leach brings more to the team for 4 million a year than Shaun Cody, Jarvis Green, or Matt Leinart does. QB, DE, and NT may be more valuable, but THOSE PLAYERS aren't. I don't think it makes much sense to pay those guys the same amount you would be paying Leach. They aren't worth it. Walter is at least a serviceable starter, but I'd still rather find a second option at WR for a bit less and spend the money saved elsewhere.

GP
08-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Here he is making no bones about how he scraped to get everything he got in Cleveland, and how he wasn't even really utilized as much as he would have been on many other teams.

I interpret this to mean Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak knew this guy was a fit for us. I imagine they watch all these videos, too, or at least some free agent scout is compiling video (even of the video interviews, etc,) and showing Smithiak what a player is all about.

Vickers thinks he should be an even better fit with the new coaching staff than he was with former coach Eric Mangini’s staff, but he doesn’t think the Browns realize what he can do.

“I was on a team where they don’t even use a fullback,” Vickers said. “Mangini’s era wasn’t really a fullback era. I played just on [the belief that] ‘this person has to be on the field.’ Everything I got wasn’t given. I took it. Our offense was based on New England’s. They don’t even have a fullback.”

Link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/04/lawrence-vickers-browns-dont-understand-what-i-can-do/)

And in fairness, this was originally post #111 by ChampionTexan who found it for us.

Errant Hothy
08-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Split End/ second TE,
Second string QB, obviously.

It's not just about the importance of each position, it's what each player brings for their salary. I think Leach brings more to the team for 4 million a year than Shaun Cody or Matt Leinart does. QB and NT may be more valuable, but THOSE PLAYERS aren't. I don't think it makes much sense to pay those guys the same amount you would be paying Leach. They aren't worth it. Walter is at least a serviceable starter, but I'd still rather find a second option at WR for a bit less and spend the money saved elsewhere.

So the two positions you think are of less value then the starting FB are none starting positions? I think it's obvious that I disagree. The modern NFL is a QB driven league, and you need more then the dregs that were available this offseason as a back up. You from this list would you have signed, and singed for less then Lienart.

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=QB&y=2011

There is something to be said for having some expeirence with the offense.

As for Cody, I would argue that D-line depth is more valuable to a team then an elite FB.

As for Walter. A 5 year deal with only $8 million guarenteed is more than reasonable for a #2WR that performs as well as Walter does.

I think you are doing a massive disservice to the O-line and the RB corps by implying that they will not be as productive without Leach.

Texas T
08-03-2011, 02:25 PM
GP-thanks for the vids. I'm really pumped that he will have a great impact on this offense. He'll have the attitude that Vonta had plus some.

I'm lovin' it!!

I'd rep ya if I could-gotta spread, blah, blah.

Malloy
08-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Any details on the contract ?

The Pencil Neck
08-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Any details on the contract ?

John McClain
Vickers' deal is two years, $3 million and &500,000 to sign.

GP
08-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Go to the :47 mark of this Vickers video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJWRpGM-0Cg&feature=related). He clears out two defenders for the ball carrier--He's like deep into the LB area and shoving multiple guys out of the way, pretty much single-handedly creating that TD run by Cribbs maybe?

Other things to watch for in this video:

1. Go to the play at the 1:08 mark of this same video and watch Vickers, at the snap, run to the left side of the line. He submarines a defender, clearing the way for a Hillis TD. Brilliantly executed. A masterpiece of FB blocking skill. Period.

2. Uh, the play that starts at the 1:22 mark vs. Patriots is my favorite of this bunch of clips. He runs right at #36, the defender on the outermost area of the Pats' line of scrimmage. Vickers blocks #36 over and over and over, running him backwards and, drum roll please...clearing the way for Hillis to score a TD. You can see Vickers openly celebrating by throwing his right arm and fist into the air at like 1:26 and 1:27 (it's fast!) once he sees Hillis clear the right side of the line--Vickers knows damn well that Hillis was on his way to a TD. You see a blip of him celebrating on the instant replay.

3. At 1:41 mark, vs. Panthers, in that play he totally takes a guy's hip out. Helmet on the hip, and drives through the guy like a samurai sword. NASTY!

4. The play at 1:47, he stands up the LB and clears the way for Hillis. Again. Watch the replay on it, you can see him stand up #50 easily. All Hillis has to do is beat the remaining guy, which he does.

This Vickers guy has SMARTS. He has good technique. He wants to do nothing but be a FB and crack helmets. On the field, off the field, it's 24/7/365 for this guy.

Dan B.
08-03-2011, 02:44 PM
So the two positions you think are of less value then the starting FB are none starting positions? I think it's obvious that I disagree. The modern NFL is a QB driven league, and you need more then the dregs that were available this offseason as a back up. You from this list would you have signed, and singed for less then Lienart.

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=QB&y=2011

I think a vet QB is a better option to back Matt up since I don't see Schaub going anywhere anytime soon. Gradkowski, Luke McCown, or Boller would be a serviceable placeholder and each went for 1/4 of Matt's salary.

I'm saying a backup QB isn't worth 4 million a year. A guy that's done what Leinart has isn't worth that. You can get a guy with a longer steadier track record for a quarter of the money. Unless they are building Leinart up to trade him I don't see the value in this move.

There is something to be said for having some expeirence with the offense.

Only for backup Qb's apparently. Anyone can replace a fullback with experience with our offense.

As for Cody, I would argue that D-line depth is more valuable to a team then an elite FB.

That's fine if you're getting decent DL depth. Cody isn't worth his salary. He isn't worth a third of his salary.

As for Walter. A 5 year deal with only $8 million guarenteed is more than reasonable for a #2WR that performs as well as Walter does.

Agreed. I like Walter and think he is worth it, but I think his position is less critical than FB is.

I think you are doing a massive disservice to the O-line and the RB corps by implying that they will not be as productive without Leach.

Why? I'm not saying they are worthless. I'm saying that Leach brought a lot to our offense. I think any Texans offensive lineman or RB would agree with me.

Playoffs
08-03-2011, 02:46 PM
...Guys, I know it might sound like hyperbole here...but Vickers is going to be every bit the guy Leach was. Maybe even more.
Yeah, I just wanted someone to rely on who wasn't converted to FB.

Watched the video... he's a leader, passion for the game, the hit, and his teammates. I like him.

vupac1
08-03-2011, 02:48 PM
On just about any team in the NFL , if your starting QB goes down , your season is toast.

This years Texans team is no different. Hell they may as well have saved the $$ on Leinart and gone with Yates as the #2 resigning Leach. The results would be no different than with Leinart backing up Schaub.

Schaub goes down for an extended period of time - Season Done.

The only difference being that if you take a guy like Yates, who has the potential to grow into something special, throw him in to the fire too soon, and you could risk potentially stunting his confidence and growth (think the original #8 or even possibly KJ)

ChampionTexan
08-03-2011, 03:00 PM
I think a vet QB is a better option to back Matt up since I don't see Schaub going anywhere anytime soon. Gradkowski, Luke McCown, or Boller would be a serviceable placeholder and each went for 1/4 of Matt's salary.

I'm saying a backup QB isn't worth 4 million a year. A guy that's done what Leinart has isn't worth that. You can get a guy with a longer steadier track record for a quarter of the money. Unless they are building Leinart up to trade him I don't see the value in this move.

He signed a two year $5.5 Million deal. Not even $3 Million per. McCown signed for $1.8 Million (1 year deal), Boller is $1.25 Million, and I can't find anything quantifying what Gradkowski's contract pays him.

I don't know if the hyperbole was intentional, or not, but your figures don't quite hold up.

Rey
08-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Why? I'm not saying they are worthless. I'm saying that Leach brought a lot to our offense. I think any Texans offensive lineman or RB would agree with me.

And I bet they would also agree that he is not irreplaceable.

Rey
08-03-2011, 03:05 PM
There have been qb's go down and the back up comes in and plays very well.

Leinart was a top ten pick, so he's not just any back-up. We haven't seen him play in this offense so there is no telling how much he has matured.

People trade 2nd round picks and starting corners for promising back up qb's.

No one is trading anything close to that for leach.

Dan B.
08-03-2011, 03:07 PM

Leinart was a top ten pick, so he's not just any back-up. We haven't seen him play in this offense so there is no telling how much he has matured.

No one is trading anything close to that for leach.

So were Jamarcus Russell and David Carr.

He signed a two year $5.5 Million deal. Not even $3 Million per. McCown signed for $1.8 Million (1 year deal), Boller is $1.25 Million, and I can't find anything quantifying what Gradkowski's contract pays him.

I don't know if the hyperbole was intentional, or not, but your figures don't quite hold up.

I thought I had read Leinart's deal was 7.5 mil for 2 years, not 5.5. Apologies and thanks for the catch.

Errant Hothy
08-03-2011, 03:09 PM

Only for backup Qb's apparently. Anyone can replace a fullback with experience with our offense.

That's fine if you're getting decent DL depth. Cody isn't worth his salary. He isn't worth a third of his salary.

Agreed. I like Walter and think he is worth it, but I think his position is less critical than FB is.

Expeirence is nice not only for QBs, but most importantly for QBs. There is a difference. Gradkowski is likely going to battle for a starting spot in Cincy and wasn't as option. I want no part of Boller or McCown.

On the rest of your points I disagree. I value Walter as more important to the Texans than I did Leach, as I would any established #2WR over a FB.

The best FB in the NFL is a luxury item for a team like the Texans. They don't really need it and they can do better by spending the money elsewhere.

Between Foster, the O-line and Leach; I'd say Leach was the least important part of the rushing attacks success last year.

Pantherstang84
08-03-2011, 03:10 PM

I think I will be in the market for a #47 jersey. Great post and looking forward to watching Vickers crack some pony heads during the first regular season game.

badboy
08-03-2011, 03:11 PM

No one is trading anything close to that for leach.My understanding from comments by Kubes is Leinert's main problem is located in his helmet.

michaelm
08-03-2011, 03:12 PM
HOUSTON TEXANS BLOG
Report: Texans sign Lawrence Vickers

http://blog.houstontexans.com/2011/08/03/report-texans-sign-lawrence-vickers/

Im not just a lead blocker, Vickers said today, per McClain. I can run and I can catch. Vonte (sic) is Vonte. Im not Vonte. Im me. I bring a whole new dimension back there.

michaelm
08-03-2011, 03:13 PM
NickScurfield: The Texans have officially announced the signing of FB Lawrence Vickers, free agent from the Cleveland Browns

Original Tweet: http://twitter.com/NickScurfield/statuses/98847237609766913

Rey
08-03-2011, 03:23 PM
So were Jamarcus Russell and David Carr.

Which has little to do with the post I made.

Rey
08-03-2011, 03:25 PM
My understanding from comments by Kubes is Leinert's main problem is located in his helmet.

Wasn't that danO?

Texas T
08-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Wasn't that danO?

No because they couldn't find it!!

CloakNNNdagger
08-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Go to the :47 mark of this Vickers video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJWRpGM-0Cg&feature=related). He clears out two defenders for the ball carrier--He's like deep into the LB area and shoving multiple guys out of the way, pretty much single-handedly creating that TD run by Cribbs maybe?

1. Go to the play at the 1:08 mark of this same video and watch Vickers, at the snap, run to the left side of the line. He submarines a defender, clearing the way for a Hillis TD. Brilliantly executed. A masterpiece of FB blocking skill. Period.

2. Uh, the play that starts at the 1:22 mark vs. Patriots is my favorite of this bunch of clips. He runs right at #36, the defender on the outermost area of the Pats' line of scrimmage. Vickers blocks #36 over and over and over, running him backwards and, drum roll please...clearing the way for Hillis to score a TD. You can see Vickers openly celebrating by throwing his right arm and fist into the air at like 1:26 and 1:27 (it's fast!) once he sees Hillis clear the right side of the line--Vickers knows damn well that Hillis was on his way to a TD. You see a blip of him celebrating on the instant replay.

3. At 1:41 mark, vs. Panthers, in that play he totally takes a guy's hip out. Helmet on the hip, and drives through the guy like a samurai sword. NASTY!

4. The play at 1:47, he stands up the LB and clears the way for Hillis. Again. Watch the replay on it, you can see him stand up #50 easily. All Hillis has to do is beat the remaining guy, which he does.

This Vickers guy has SMARTS. He has good technique. He wants to do nothing but be a FB and crack helmets. On the field, off the field, it's 24/7/365 for this guy.

Nice review. I have a feeling, may use him in pass reception more than Vonta and try him in some of his own running plays (possible trick plays).

DX-TEX
08-03-2011, 03:28 PM
No because they couldn't find it!!

http://jeffpicard.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/rim-shot-johnny-utah.jpg

Porky
08-03-2011, 03:32 PM
If any of you read Lance Z blog on the Chron, he highlights the fact that Foster actually had an 0.8 better YPC average in a one back formation, then he did with the two back group using Vonta as his lead blocker.

While nobody is saying Vonta wasn't valuable, least of all me, I've definetely bought into the idea that Vickers is a much, much better value at a position that won't even play 50% of the plays.

Rey
08-03-2011, 03:35 PM

So basically Hillis is going to miss vickers.

Ole Miss Texan
08-03-2011, 03:41 PM
If any of you read Lance Z blog on the Chron, he highlights the fact that Foster actually had an 0.8 better YPC average in a one back formation, then he did with the two back group using Vonta as his lead blocker.

While nobody is saying Vonta wasn't valuable, least of all me, I've definetely bought into the idea that Vickers is a much, much better value at a position that won't even play 50% of the plays.
I don't read much into it when stats like this are thrown out. Different run formations are called depending on down and distance. There's several times I remember Schaub being in shotgun with a 3 WR set and the defense is playing back.... they do a little delayed handoff to Foster and he runs for 20 yards. A 1 yd TD run behind the FB is just as good (actually better!) than a 20 yard run to midfield. lol

I urge people to go watch all of Arian's highlights. There's plenty of times Leach helf off a LB and there's plenty of times that Foster was on the other side of the field or Leach wasn't even in the game.

michaelm
08-03-2011, 03:45 PM

It was also said (either in LZ's blog, or the original stats that he quoted) that there were situational difference involved. For example, the 1-back set was used in more long yardage situations and downs, which could account for some variance.

michaelm
08-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Obviously, this has been known for a while. I'm just posting the story from the HT official site for your enjoyment.

Texans sign FB Vickers
Posted 34 minutes ago

http://www.houstontexans.com/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/In_Story_Photos_400_190/400vickers.jpg

HOUSTON – The Houston Texans signed unrestricted free agent FB Lawrence Vickers, the team announced today.
Vickers (6-0, 250) has appeared in 76 games with 36 starts in his five-year career with the Cleveland Browns. He has gained 271 yards (6.6 avg.) on 41 receptions for three touchdowns and has rushed for 87 yards (2.6 avg.) on 33 attempts.
During his time in Cleveland, Vickers was the lead blocker for three 1,000-yard rushers. Last season, he was the lead blocker for RB Peyton Hillis, who amassed 1,177 yards and 11 touchdowns.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Texans-sign-FB-Vickers/a99bf879-8317-47bc-859d-39660aac6606

Doppelganger
08-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Here is my take. Last year Foster averaged 4.9 yards per carry with Leach for 1616 total yards on 327 attempts. Ward averaged 6.3 yards per carry.

Peyton Hillis averaged 4.4 yards per carry with Vickers for 1177 total yards on 270 carries. The Brown next leading back was Jerome Harrison who averaged 4.6 yards per carry. Cleveland did not run as much as we did last year. In addition, Cleveland had to play 4 games against stallwart Run Defenses Pit and Baltimore.

Since there is nobody in the AFC South that has a run D like Pitt and Baltimore and the only teams we play with those types of Run Ds are, Pitt and Baltimore, I think Vickers will be a great lead blocker.

I am hoping we cut Foster's carries in half and give them to Ward, Tate, and even give Vickers a chance to bust some heads at the goal line!

texanchris
08-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Im not just a lead blocker, Vickers said today, per McClain. I can run and I can catch. Vonte (sic) is Vonte. Im not Vonte. Im me. I bring a whole new dimension back there.

Pancakes can't even spell Vonta's name right. :mariopalm:

Dan B.
08-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Which has little to do with the post I made.

Of course it does. The panthers overpaid Carr to be a backup usng the same rationale - they figured he must be good since he was a top pick. Where Leinart was drafted has nothing to do with what he should earn as a FA.

Rey
08-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Of course it does. The panthers overpaid Carr to be a backup usng the same rationale - they figured he must be good since he was a top pick. Where Leinart was drafted has nothing to do with what he should earn as a FA.

That's what I figured.

You completely missed the point which was that the potential ceiling for a back up qb is of much more value than even an all pro Fb.

We actually got something of value in a trade for sage and sage wasn't all that.

Using the floor, which is David Carr even further illustrates my point. No matter how much he sucked he continued to get a job. Qb's with high bust potential are constantly taken in the top ten.

When was the last time you saw a fb taken in the top ten? When was the last time you saw a fb fail at multiple destinations and continue to get a job? When was the last time a fullback was even traded for two 2nds, or a 2nd and a starting corner?

Never.

Vonta was a good player. But arguing that he was as valuable as a back up qb is far fetched IMO.

Having more impact on a season? Sure.

But if your starting fb goes down it's not a huge deal the back up cones in or they play call around it.

Your starting qb goes down and the season depends on that back up.

SAMURAITEXAN
08-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Nice to wake up with a good news!!!

Go Texans!!!

CloakNNNdagger
08-03-2011, 05:53 PM

Pancakes can't even spell Vonta's name right. :mariopalm:

Evidently, he can get it right sometimes:whip:

http://twitter.com/#!/McClain_on_NFL
McClain_on_NFL John McClain
Fullback Vonta Leach has agreed to a Three-year $11 million contract with Baltimore.

BrwnsTown
08-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Nice Pick up Texans.....

Anyone with the slightest doubt about Vickers will see real quick what type of FB he is in practice and game time...

And if it wasn't for Mangini and his pathetic offense Vickers would of caught and carried the ball more. They stopped using him out of the backfield. Mangini wants to run a offense like the Pats with no FB.

You will be surprised at how quick Vickers is for his size...
Oh and he is pretty nasty on special teams as well.....

b0ng
08-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Nice Pick up Texans.....

Anyone with the slightest doubt about Vickers will see real quick what type of FB he is in practice and game time...

And if it wasn't for Mangini and his pathetic offense Vickers would of caught and carried the ball more. They stopped using him out of the backfield. Mangini wants to run a offense like the Pats with no FB.

You will be surprised at how quick Vickers is for his size...
Oh and he is pretty nasty on special teams as well.....

Welcome. Quick question, you guys excited about Colt McCoy?

PapaL
08-03-2011, 06:18 PM
I am STOKED about this signing. It has been a great offseason for us. Vickers is The Truth!

Lucky
08-03-2011, 06:34 PM
The Browns picked up a pretty good FB in the draft in Owen Marecic, who doubled as a MLB at Stanford. I think Hillis will be fine. And I think Foster will be great with Vickers.

I still wouldn't mind seeing Casey gets snaps at fullback. His versatility as a receiver could cause defense serious matchup problems. But when the Texans need tough yardage, we'll be glad they brought in Vickers.

BrwnsTown
08-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Welcome. Quick question, you guys excited about Colt McCoy?

Yes and no...

Still not sure about the Arm Strength and well he cant get any taller...
Not to mention he has to learn a new system from last year along with all the young so called receivers we have...

I would of felt better had they fired Mangini before last season and Colt had a year to sit and learn, but it is what it is...

But he did show some flashes last year but we still have a suspect Right side of the line which doesn't make it easy for a young QB, especially when you have to face the steelers zone blitz and the Ravens D twice each..

We could very well be racing the Bungals and Denver and Titans etc. to the bottom for Luck in the next draft....

TexanSam
08-03-2011, 06:39 PM

It's the start of the Madden curse

vupac1
08-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Yes and no...

Not to mention he has to learn a new system from last year along with all the young so called receivers we have...

I would of felt better had they fired Mangini before last season and Colt had a year to sit and learn, but it is what it is...

But he did show some flashes last year but we still have a suspect Right side of the line which doesn't make it easy for a young QB, especially when you have to face the steelers zone blitz and the Ravens D twice each..

We could very well be racing the Bungals and Denver and Titans etc. to the bottom for Luck in the next draft....

Aww cmon, don't dog my boy Colt like that! haha
No way will he lead yall to a record below the Skins, who appear to be doing everything in their power to get Luck

Ghostform
08-03-2011, 06:46 PM
All this QB talk made me start laughing at the fact that Carr and Rosencopter are fighting to be the Giants backup QB. sorry i got off track but i thought it was funny...

BrwnsTown
08-03-2011, 06:52 PM
It's the start of the Madden curse

Hillis will be fine.. The guy is Juggernaut after all...

This is part of his off season workout..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqqE1ouPfak

b0ng
08-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Yes and no...

No way, the Bengals got that 4th spot in the AFCN pretty much sewed up. It's going to be tough battling the Steelers and the Ravens for the crown or a WC spot, but, I really liked what I saw of McCoy near the end.

False Start
08-03-2011, 07:00 PM
I like this guy....

Vickers vs Ray Lewis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiXGTARUjOs&feature=player_embedded)

Lucky
08-03-2011, 07:01 PM
All this QB talk made me start laughing at the fact that Carr and Rosencopter are fighting to be the Giants backup QB. sorry i got off track but i thought it was funny...
I had no idea Carr had signed with the Giants. Hookem cannot be pleased.

BrwnsTown
08-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Aww cmon, don't dog my boy Colt like that! haha
No way will he lead yall to a record below the Skins, who appear to be doing everything in their power to get Luck

Not hating on McCoy, I just wish the team handled the situation better. He has a up hill battle to prove he is a legit NFL starting QB...

BrwnsTown
08-03-2011, 07:05 PM
No way, the Bengals got that 4th spot in the AFCN pretty much sewed up. It's going to be tough battling the Steelers and the Ravens for the crown or a WC spot, but, I really liked what I saw of McCoy near the end.

Did you see the final game against the Steelers? 41-9 at home is not a good way to end the season...

b0ng
08-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Did you see the final game against the Steelers? 41-9 at home is not a good way to end the season...

While that is completely true, there are a lot of things much worse than the QB position on the Browns. I think if Colt and Mo Mass can develop a rapport you guys won't have to rely on running Hillis into the ground.

Yeah the defense might be ghastly but not anything as bad as the Mike Brown Specials in your own division.

BrwnsTown
08-03-2011, 07:24 PM
While that is completely true, there are a lot of things much worse than the QB position on the Browns. I think if Colt and Mo Mass can develop a rapport you guys won't have to rely on running Hillis into the ground.

Yeah the defense might be ghastly but not anything as bad as the Mike Brown Specials in your own division.

We are about 2 more drafts away...

With them firing the whole coaching staff and gutting the D and not even addressing the problems on the Right side of the O line it spells disaster.

Figure it this way, on D we have a second yr corner Haden and S Ward, 2 rookie linemen and then a bunch of other bodies and no depth. And they all get to learn a new system in shorter time.

On Offense we have a secong yr QB, two 3 rd yr WR's MoMas and Robo both learning their 3 rd offense in 3 yrs. and Rookie in Little who hasn't played in over a year. As well as a rookie FB taking Vickers Place.

"If" the O line makes it through without serious injuries like last year and "If" MoMass and Robo actually break out and put up numbers with Little and "If" McCoy can pick up the WCO and excel then we should be fine on Offense but that is a lot of If's...

And lets not even dig into the D it is a wreck...

DocBar
08-03-2011, 07:31 PM
We are about 2 more drafts away...

With them firing the whole coaching staff and gutting the D and not even addressing the problems on the Right side of the O line it spells disaster.

Figure it this way, on D we have a second yr corner Haden and S Ward, 2 rookie linemen and then a bunch of other bodies and no depth. And they all get to learn a new system in shorter time.

On Offense we have a secong yr QB, two 3 rd yr WR's MoMas and Robo both learning their 3 rd offense in 3 yrs. and Rookie in Little who hasn't played in over a year. As well as a rookie FB taking Vickers Place.

"If" the O line makes it through without serious injuries like last year and "If" MoMass and Robo actually break out and put up numbers with Little and "If" McCoy can pick up the WCO and excel then we should be fine on Offense but that is a lot of If's...

And lets not even dig into the D it is a wreck...I was gonna make all kinds of jokes about Cleveland having a D, then I rechecked the stats....:boogereater:

BrwnsTown
08-03-2011, 07:42 PM
I was gonna make all kinds of jokes about Cleveland having a D, then I rechecked the stats....:boogereater:

Should of seen the abuse I took on the Browns board last year after the season when I said the entire front 7 were garbage...LOL....

Then when Holmgren and Heck cut them all ppl came around a little bit..

b0ng
08-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Honestly, I think the Browns are making some good moves though. Getting rid of Mangenius was one, and I think Holmgren knows what he's doing when it comes to assembling football teams. The fact that Colt was not complete trash is a good sign and I think Hillis needs to have another season like he did (hopefully he doesn't get run into the ground). The Browns did hold their own against the Steelers in Colt's rookie start which was a good sign.

Now yeah, the defense is kind of in shambles right now, and one can only hope that staph infections don't do a little dance extravaganza around the locker room. As long as they don't do the Redskins thing and sign ridiculous FA contracts, they could be going down the right path (albeit slowly).

Remember when you guys had Derek Anderson and he had just played in a pro bowl and teams were offering high draft picks for him and that GM Savage said "No"? Good times.

beerlover
08-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Excited Texans able to fit another stud FB under the cap. Good work FO!
Welcome home to Houston Mr. Vickers!
Let's give our coaching & scheme credit for creating the dynamic run game.
Last but not least how about mad props to guys in the trenches our OL. Wade Smith deserved a pro bowl invite.
Almost forgot, thanks to GP, Browns, Ravens & Texan fans contributions to this most Awesome thread. Great day to be a Houston Texan.

:wesmantexanfan:

BrwnsTown
08-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Honestly, I think the Browns are making some good moves though. Getting rid of Mangenius was one, and I think Holmgren knows what he's doing when it comes to assembling football teams. The fact that Colt was not complete trash is a good sign and I think Hillis needs to have another season like he did (hopefully he doesn't get run into the ground). The Browns did hold their own against the Steelers in Colt's rookie start which was a good sign.

Now yeah, the defense is kind of in shambles right now, and one can only hope that staph infections don't do a little dance extravaganza around the locker room. As long as they don't do the Redskins thing and sign ridiculous FA contracts, they could be going down the right path (albeit slowly).

Remember when you guys had Derek Anderson and he had just played in a pro bowl and teams were offering high draft picks for him and that GM Savage said "No"? Good times.

Yeah it is a waiting game. That is why I get flack on the browns board. To many young guys that don't understand it takes time to build a franchise from scratch.

Especially the way the NFL screwed the Browns and Texans, after the more than generous stocking plans the Jags and Panthers received the NFL couldn't allow 2 new teams to get that good that fast again.

I just want the team to stick with a coaching staff and front office for more than 2 yrs at a clip. Hard to build continuity when you keep changing OC and DC and HC and GM's every other year.

And I hope no one thinks I'm monopolizing the thread, it is just nice to get fans of other teams perspectives...

thunderkyss
08-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Vickers

Wow, I.. I don't know what to say.

In just.. man.. you know.. just one off season.

We signed Vickers, a 2006 Bust of a QB for a back-up, one of the top FA CBs..

It's like.. you.. man..

It's like we're building a dream team..

:gotexans:

beerlover
08-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Your on the money (already repped you).

It's been equally difficult to keep on course with Kubiak & staff. It's been like OJT lots of mistakes, even more misfortune. Now, finally the Texans seem to have it together. Every new season breeds optimism, now it's up to the players both new & old along with new DC Wade Phillips & to overcome a difficult opening schedule. Hopefully this year Texan fans will be in for a treat not another trick. Good Luck to your Browns too.

leebigeztx
08-03-2011, 08:25 PM
As long as the team replaces talent with talent, its ok. Last year, they didn't replace reeves or robinson and the team suffered greatly. In the case of vicker and leach, they did talent for talent. Leach played about 60 snaps a game if u include special teams. He got paid because he's the best blocker at his position, but you can't pay everyone. They knew this was coming and with the fb going out like t-rex, they did well. 1 yr after making weaver the highest paid fb, he was cut. 2 yrs after being in the pro bowl, mcclain had to take a 1 yr deal. Now mcclain and weaver are more alstott type of fbs, but they have versitility in both the run and pass game. Remember mcclain going up the guy vs dallas for 60 yds? Can't complain about what the texans did with this.

Pantherstang84
08-03-2011, 08:30 PM
I am stoked about this signing. From the videos and interviews I have seen of this guy he brings swagger and is down right nasty blocking downfield. The Kubiak WCO is a perfect fit for his skills. Lets get it on!

El Tejano
08-03-2011, 08:41 PM
I like this guy....

Vickers vs Ray Lewis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiXGTARUjOs&feature=player_embedded)

I saw that. Man, I'll take an emotional guy that aint going to back down on our team any day. Also the Lawrence Vickers tribute showed him lighting up some fools.

ChampionTexan
08-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Wow, I.. I don't know what to say.

In just.. man.. you know.. just one off season.

We signed Vickers, a 2006 Bust of a QB for a back-up, one of the top FA CBs..

It's like.. you.. man..

It's like we're building a dream team..

:gotexans:

Yeah, like he's gonna be able to beat out Manning for the starting role.

Rey
08-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Wow. The legend of leach grows.

As good a blocker as he was, having the ball in his hand was his kryptonite.

Pantherstang84
08-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Wow. The legend of leach grows.

As good a blocker as he was, having the ball in his hand was his kryptonite.

True dat. The Ravens got a good downfield blocker in Leach. Great locker room guy. However, he was lacking as a ball carrier.

MEGA SWATT
08-03-2011, 09:50 PM
That was a nice interview/hi-light video on vickers. This makes me feel so much better about VL going to the ravens.

Dan B.
08-03-2011, 10:43 PM
That's what I figured.

You completely missed the point which was that the potential ceiling for a back up qb is of much more value than even an all pro Fb.

If Leinart was so valuable how'd we end up signing him off the FA scrap heap? Why was he cut if they could get something of value in a trade for him?

We actually got something of value in a trade for sage and sage wasn't all that.

We traded Sage for a 4th rounder when he was making less than half of what Matt will be earning. Teams are less likely to trade for a mediocre player if he's overpaid

Using the floor, which is David Carr even further illustrates my point. No matter how much he sucked he continued to get a job. Qb's with high bust potential are constantly taken in the top ten.

When was the last time you saw a fb taken in the top ten? When was the last time you saw a fb fail at multiple destinations and continue to get a job? When was the last time a fullback was even traded for two 2nds, or a 2nd and a starting corner?

Never.

You're talking about drafting players, which is completely different than signing FA's. I think anyone that takes where a guy was drafted into account when he's already been in the league for years and thus has a body of work outside of the NCAA has no business being a GM.

AFA trading our backup, maybe we can build Matt up and trade him off. I don't think we have the luxury of being the Eagles though. With more holes to fill than they have, our priorities should be finding starters to win the South NOW, not potential trades years from now for guys that never see the field today.

Vonta was a good player. But arguing that he was as valuable as a back up qb is far fetched IMO.

Having more impact on a season? Sure.

But if your starting fb goes down it's not a huge deal the back up cones in or they play call around it.

Your starting qb goes down and the season depends on that back up.

We don't know that Leinart can save that season though. He's never played for us in a real game. When he's played elsewhere, he's sucked.

I keep comparing Leinart to Orlovsky because that's the comparison that is sticking with me. I don't care if Leinart went to the Rose Bowl while DanO went to the Motor City Bowl. I don't care if one was a top 10 pick and one was a 5th rounder. It's all utterly meaningless now. What matters is that both have failed to produce in the NFL. Neither is worth what Kubiak and Smith paid them to never touch the grass.

gary
08-03-2011, 10:46 PM
I think Colt needs more weapons to throw the ball to.

DocBar
08-03-2011, 10:48 PM
I think Colt needs more weapons to throw the ball to.Me too. That way we can get more sacks this season. :kitten:

Rey
08-03-2011, 10:57 PM
If Leinart was so valuable how'd we end up signing him off the FA scrap heap? Why was he cut if they could get something of value in a trade for him?

We traded Sage for a 4th rounder when he was making less than half of what Matt will be earning. Teams are less likely to trade for a mediocre player if he's overpaid

You're talking about drafting players, which is completely different than signing FA's. I think anyone that takes where a guy was drafted into account when he's already been in the league for years and thus has a body of work outside of the NCAA has no business being a GM.

AFA trading our backup, maybe we can build Matt up and trade him off. I don't think we have the luxury of being the Eagles though. With more holes to fill than they have, our priorities should be finding starters to win the South NOW, not potential trades years from now for guys that never see the field today.

We don't know that Leinart can save that season though. He's never played for us in a real game. When he's played elsewhere, he's sucked.

I keep comparing Leinart to Orlovsky because that's the comparison that is sticking with me. I don't care if Leinart went to the Rose Bowl while DanO went to the Motor City Bowl. I don't care if one was a top 10 pick and one was a 5th rounder. It's all utterly meaningless now. What matters is that both have failed to produce in the NFL. Neither is worth what Kubiak and Smith paid them to never touch the grass.

Still unwilling to acknowledge that qb's, even back-ups are more valuable than fb's.

Not sure if you're being obtuse or if you actually believe what you are writing.

Either way, you're wrong and missing the point. Doesn't matter if it is Leinart, sage or Dan o. . . If they are the only viable option as the back up qb they are more valuable than a fb.

Qb gets hurt and needs a few games off, the back up needs to fill in and not lose games and keep the season afloat. Fb goes down, it's not that big of a deal.

Losing vonta is not a big deal at all. His legend is greater than his actual play was.

DocBar
08-03-2011, 11:06 PM

I keep comparing Leinart to Orlovsky because that's the comparison that is sticking with me. I don't care if Leinart went to the Rose Bowl while DanO went to the Motor City Bowl. I don't care if one was a top 10 pick and one was a 5th rounder. It's all utterly meaningless now. What matters is that both have failed to produce in the NFL. Neither is worth what Kubiak and Smith paid them to never touch the grass.If I had a GM that couldn't see the true value of a player in a system that fits his abilities, I'd fire him. Certain players are a better fit for certain systems. It's not universal of course, but it does hold true to a large degree.

b0ng
08-03-2011, 11:14 PM
I'm way more comfortable having Leinart be the backup QB if Schaub goes down, and having Vickers, than TJ Yates being the backup QB and having Leach.

The money we would've saved signing some guy like Kyle Boller who has proven that he sucks donkey shit as a QB would not be worth what we saved signing Vickers and letting Leach go.

Dan B, take off your "Coke Machine" underoos, this FB and 2nd string QB stuff is not going to completely sink the team.

Dan B.
08-03-2011, 11:51 PM
If I had a GM that couldn't see the true value of a player in a system that fits his abilities, I'd fire him. Certain players are a better fit for certain systems. It's not universal of course, but it does hold true to a large degree.

Which has nothing to do with where a player is drafted.

Dan B.
08-03-2011, 11:52 PM
I'm way more comfortable having Leinart be the backup QB if Schaub goes down, and having Vickers, than TJ Yates being the backup QB and having Leach.

The money we would've saved signing some guy like Kyle Boller who has proven that he sucks donkey shit as a QB would not be worth what we saved signing Vickers and letting Leach go.

Dan B, take off your "Coke Machine" underoos, this FB and 2nd string QB stuff is not going to completely sink the team.

Maybe, maybe not. I'd be just as comfortable with Rosenfels as backup as I am with Leinart, especially at half the price. I think Leinart could sink this team as quick as Sage did personally. I also get sick of Kubiak thinking every QB is worth millions and every RB is fungible.

mussop
08-04-2011, 02:28 AM
dont get to excited about Vickers yet. Kubiak is still saying Casey is the starter. Vickers was brought in for competition. (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7681626.html)

Rey
08-04-2011, 03:07 AM
dont get to excited about Vickers yet. Kubiak is still saying Casey is the starter. Vickers was brought in for competition. (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7681626.html)

I'd like to see them both get some playing time when the games are played.

Corrosion
08-04-2011, 03:14 AM
Maybe, maybe not. I'd be just as comfortable with Rosenfels as backup as I am with Leinart, especially at half the price. I think Leinart could sink this team as quick as Sage did personally. I also get sick of Kubiak thinking every QB is worth millions and every RB is fungible.

Rosencoptor takes a lot of heat for trying .... even if he did try to do too much.

You gotta respect the guy for layin it all on the line when he got an opportunity , fail or not. Thats what this league is all about ....

Honestly , I'd rather have a guy like that who goes out and gives everything he's got rather than some chump like Leinart who's done nothing other than half ass since coming into the league. Even Dan Isteppedoutaboundski showed more want to than this dude.

Allstar
08-04-2011, 03:16 AM
Rosencoptor takes a lot of heat for trying .... even if he did try to do too much.

You gotta respect the guy for layin it all on the line when he got an opportunity , fail or not. Thats what this league is all about ....

Honestly , I'd rather have a guy like that who goes out and gives everything he's got rather than some chump like Leinart who's done nothing other than half ass since coming into the league. Even Dan Isteppedoutaboundski showed more want to than this dude.

We'll get our fair share of Leinart in the coming weeks. Hopefully this year with Kubiak has helped the guy out.

Pantherstang84
08-04-2011, 06:28 AM

Based on the video clips I've seen of Vickers, Casey better be all that and a bag of chips as a FB. Vickers is like Leach he brings it every snap of the ball and he blows linebackers up.

mussop
08-04-2011, 07:10 AM
Based on the video clips I've seen of Vickers, Casey better be all that and a bag of chips as a FB. Vickers is like Leach he brings it every snap of the ball and he blows linebackers up.

Everyone looks like that in highlight clips. That's why they are called HIGHLIGHT clips. Not saying he isn't really good, just that people here may be getting overly excited about a guy they have only seen in highlight clips.

I know I like the emotion he brings. I hope the rest is as advertised.

Pantherstang84
08-04-2011, 07:17 AM
Everyone looks like that in highlight clips. That's why they are called HIGHLIGHT clips. Not saying he isn't really good, just that people here may be getting overly excited about a guy they have only seen in highlight clips.

I know I like the emotion he brings. I hope the rest is as advertised.

Ray Lewis doesn't care for him. I'll take that as an endorsement.

If you don't like Vickers highlight clips, go check out some Peyton Hillis highlight clips. Look for #47.

MojoMan
08-04-2011, 07:22 AM
The thing about Casey is he brings H-back skills to the fullback position. If he can block impressively on the move like fullbacks have to - and the jury is obviously out on that point - he could transform the position in way we have not seen before. If Casey can bring 90% of Leach's blocking ability, combined with the speed and ball-skills that we already know Casey has, he is going to be hard to keep on the bench.

Think about it. A combination Fullback/H-back. How exciting could that be?

El Tejano
08-04-2011, 07:31 AM
I'd like to see them both get some playing time when the games are played.

Me too. I wonder if Vickers could also be used more as a goal line back. I see Vickers and Casey working some serious short yardage situations for us.

El Tejano
08-04-2011, 07:32 AM
The thing about Casey is he brings H-back skills to the fullback position. If he can block impressively on the move like fullbacks have to - and the jury is obviously out on that point - he could transform the position in way we have not seen before. If Casey can bring 90% of Leach's blocking ability, combined with the speed and ball-skills that we already know Casey has, he is going to be hard to keep on the bench.

Think about it. A combination Fullback/H-back. How exciting could that be?

That's what Frank Wychek used to do for the Titans. I'm trying to think of a guy that used to do that in Denver to see how we could compare to that.

TimeKiller
08-04-2011, 07:52 AM
This thread is still rolling? How interested are we in the backup FB?

Besides, he's undersized. :rolleyes:

Got a question, if a LB gets blown right the hell up by the FB and the RB darts around them for a 7 yard gain...and a LB simply gets knocked off his line by the FB and the RB darts around them for a 7 yard gain....what's the difference?

DocBar
08-04-2011, 07:54 AM
This thread is still rolling? How interested are we in the backup FB?

Besides, he's undersized. :rolleyes:

Got a question, if a LB gets blown right the hell up by the FB and the RB darts around them for a 7 yard gain...and a LB simply gets knocked off his line by the FB and the RB darts around them for a 7 yard gain....what's the difference?A LB gettin blown the eff up. DUH!! :)

mussop
08-04-2011, 07:55 AM
Ray Lewis doesn't care for him. I'll take that as an endorsement.

If you don't like Vickers highlight clips, go check out some Peyton Hillis highlight clips. Look for #47.

Never said I didn't like his highlight clips, just that people need to realize they are "highlight" clips. I did watch a bunch of hillis clips and vickers wasn't near as impressive as in his own clips IMO. He didn't suck or even look bad but didn't see anything that would make me as excited as some here.

DocBar
08-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Never said I didn't like his highlight clips, just that people need to realize they are "highlight" clips. I did watch a bunch of hillis clips and vickers wasn't near as impressive as in his own clips IMO. He didn't suck or even look bad but didn't see anything that would make me as excited as some here.Maybe we could find a lowlight reel to balance it out? It's unrealistic to base a players ability off of short video clips, anyway.

TimeKiller
08-04-2011, 08:12 AM
A LB gettin blown the eff up. DUH!! :)

I guess. The biggest difference is how much that costs, IMO. 7 yards is 7 yards. Personal glory is for chumps who want :money: like Vonta.

Never said I didn't like his highlight clips, just that people need to realize they are "highlight" clips. I did watch a bunch of hillis clips and vickers wasn't near as impressive as in his own clips IMO. He didn't suck or even look bad but didn't see anything that would make me as excited as some here.

I watched Hillis' clips too and you're right.

Also, Hillis is a beast. We should've traded for him when we had the chance. Did you see the song about him? hahaha...that shit was silly. Guy is a devastatingly effective athlete though.

mussop
08-04-2011, 08:15 AM
I guess. The biggest difference is how much that costs, IMO. 7 yards is 7 yards. Personal glory is for chumps who want :money: like Vonta.

I watched Hillis' clips too and you're right.

Also, Hillis is a beast. We should've traded for him when we had the chance. Did you see the song about him? hahaha...that shit was silly. Guy is a devastatingly effective athlete though.

Traded for him? Sh!t we should of drafted hiss ass. I was begging for him in the fith round down.

CloakNNNdagger
08-04-2011, 08:32 AM

If this statement is not ONLY for public consumption and for the "moral" of Casey, then it is this type of TINKERING that has screwed the Texans in the past.:toropalm:

beerlover
08-04-2011, 10:57 AM
If this statement is not ONLY for public consumption and for the "moral" of Casey, then it is this type of TINKERING that has screwed the Texans in the past.:toropalm:

you mean old loyalty once again rears its ugly head :hankpalm:

michaelm
08-04-2011, 11:05 AM

meh, it's all just coach-speak. I understand your point, but what Kubiak said is basically boiler plate stuff that a coach says out of deference to an incumbent player.

Nothing to get worked up over, IMO.

My interpretation is basically "I'm telling Casey he's the starter out of respect, and Vickers is coming to compete with him, but come on, it's got to be obvious to everyone that Vickers will win that competition".

The Pencil Neck
08-04-2011, 11:13 AM
If Kubiak signs someone and gives him the job, then Kubes is wrong for just giving the guy the job.

If Kubiak signs someone and says the incumbent still has the job, then Kubes is wrong for not just giving the guy the job.

:kubepalm:

This proves that Kubes is wrong no matter what he does.

:roast:

michaelm
08-04-2011, 01:26 PM
If Kubiak signs someone and gives him the job, then Kubes is wrong for just giving the guy the job.

If Kubiak signs someone and says the incumbent still has the job, then Kubes is wrong for not just giving the guy the job.

:kubepalm:

This proves that Kubes is wrong no matter what he does.

:roast:

OK, so then we're in agreement?

Playoffs
08-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Baldinger on NFLN just said every one of Foster's 16 TDs were behind Vonta ... true?

Rey
08-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Baldinger on NFLN just said every one of Foster's 16 TDs were behind Vonta ... true?

No.

Ole Miss Texan
08-04-2011, 02:49 PM

I find that highly unlikely.

Pantherstang84
08-04-2011, 02:54 PM

Consider the source.

TimeKiller
08-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Traded for him? Sh!t we should of drafted hiss ass. I was begging for him in the fith round down.

Yeah well, you know how people get about low round draft choices/big time athletes getting a chance. Casey is every bit the athlete Hillis is.

THIS is how awesome, threateningly awesome this offense is. People bitched out a 17 page thread about the FULLBACKS. Aka the smallest gear in the whole clock.

Vickers is gonna be awesome. That's why Cleveland cut him. He + Hillis were just too much for one team.

I mean really, we have a super athletic, big, smart guy with hands and a good ethic who isn't quite as good of a blocker as Vonta Leach......and we made this big of a deal about a signing a guy who is athletic, big, smart with hands who isn't quite as good of a blocker as Vonta Leach.

It'll be a good competition, may the best football player win.

Rey
08-04-2011, 02:56 PM
I find that highly unlikely.

I hope the rest of the league feels like a lot of the fans and analyst in regards to Arians success being due to vonta.

b0ng
08-04-2011, 03:04 PM

Not totally false but Leach was in on what I'd say is at least 75% of the rushing TD's that Foster got. I found 2 against J-ville that looked like they came from the singleback set on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_BDbe89hts

Now there are a lot of those plays where Leach is not the hole that Foster pushes through, but yeah, if you look at all the TD's Foster scored on the ground, Leach is in the play on almost every one of them.

GP
08-04-2011, 03:06 PM
I am stoked about this signing. From the videos and interviews I have seen of this guy he brings swagger and is down right nasty blocking downfield. The Kubiak WCO is a perfect fit for his skills. Lets get it on!

Speaking of WCO fullbacks, check this guy out. (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-americas-game/09000d5d8008fd4e/America-s-Game-1989-49ers)

He turned out OK, and he was a great pass-catching FB and was passionate about the FB role.

A true gamer.

There's a lot of goooood quality videos out there on this site. Lots of history.

Ole Miss Texan
08-04-2011, 03:23 PM

Foster had 16 rushing TDs last season. 13 of which were behind Leach, 3 when Leach wasn't on the field.

Foster had 13 TDs from inside the 8 yard line. 1 from 25 yards out, 1 from 35 yards out and 1 from 75 yards out.

Foster had 10 TDs from inside the 3 yard line. 9 of those TDs were behind Leach.

Foster's rushing TDs without Leach were: (1) a 6 yd run against the Colts; (2) 2 yd run against the Jags and (3) 25 yd run against the Jags.

Playoffs
08-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Foster had ...
Good stuff, thanks.

Ole Miss Texan
08-04-2011, 03:35 PM
To put it in perspective:

Peyton Hillis had 11 rushing TDs last year, 10 of which were behind Vickers and 1 when Vickers was off the field.

Arian Foster had 16 rushing TDs last year, 13 of which were behind Leach and 3 when Leach was off the field.

Conclusion: Vickers was every bit as responsible for Hillis' TDs as Leach was for Foster's.

CloakNNNdagger
08-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Foster had 16 rushing TDs last season. 13 of which were behind Leach, 3 when Leach wasn't on the field.

Foster had 13 TDs from inside the 8 yard line. 1 from 25 yards out, 1 from 35 yards out and 1 from 75 yards out.

Foster had 10 TDs from inside the 3 yard line. 9 of those TDs were behind Leach.

Foster's rushing TDs without Leach were: (1) a 6 yd run against the Colts; (2) 2 yd run against the Jags and (3) 25 yd run against the Jags.

Thanks for that convincing analysis!!!!!!!!

Rep coming your way........if I can!

Rey
08-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Vickers on 610 now.

Jesus, he has me pumped.

They have to put this podcast up.

Rey
08-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Conclusion: Vickers was every bit as responsible for Hillis' TDs as Leach was for Foster's.

only difference is that vickers has done it for almost every back that has been behind him.

Errant Hothy
08-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Vickers on 610 now.

Jesus, he has me pumped.

They have to put this podcast up.

No doubt.

Dude has the perfect attitude for the job.

CloakNNNdagger
08-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Asked why he chose the FB position, he essentially said that not too many players "like to get their head rung" every play..............his wife thinks he's a little nuts for that.:)

Rey
08-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Vickers on 610:

Why he likes fb; because no one else likes the position. Loves the collisions. Lots of guys don't want to "get their head rung" but he likes the feeling.

On his style: says he doesn't really have a style. Adjusts to what type of rb he's blocking for. Ask them what they like, watches them run and picks up on habits they have.
Reads the play like a rb, takes the path he thinks the back would take and picks up the first man he sees.

On competition: knows Casey is the starter but he will be the best that he can be and let the chips fall where they may.

On third and one: says he's the third and one champ. He can run for the tough yards. He can block for the tough yards.

Other tidbits: not trying to be leach "I'm Lawrence vickers".

"once I hit em I throw my hands up, I know it's td"

Wants to be great everywhere. Was close and got a long with Mangini.

Overall he has a lot of swag. Says he's an emotional guy and loves to get fired up.

Rey
08-04-2011, 05:59 PM
My recap does the interview no justice. Gotta listen if u have a chance.

Kimmy
08-04-2011, 06:00 PM

Podcast is up

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2011/08/04/vickers-is-ready-to-lead-the-way/

Mr. White
08-04-2011, 07:02 PM

Podcast is up

That was awesome. I thought he would see this stop as a layover, but he definitely sounds happy to be home.

This guy's gonna get some people fired up.

Allstar
08-04-2011, 07:02 PM
http://images.chron.com/photos/2011/08/04/27350777/600xPopupGallery.jpg
Looks like he has a bit of a beer belly to throw at defenders

drs23
08-04-2011, 07:24 PM

Hey, I've got a few Pot Bellied shirts myself. :)

El Tejano
08-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Podcast is up

Dude that is a ton of commercials before the interview. Dang that's a ton of interviews. I'm so Sirius spoiled.

drs23
08-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Dude that is a ton of commercials before the interview. Dang that's a ton of interviews. I'm so Sirius spoiled.

Not policing here at all but that would be 'Dudette'. :D

House of Pain
08-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Got a question, if a LB gets blown right the hell up by the FB and the RB darts around them for a 7 yard gain...and a LB simply gets knocked off his line by the FB and the RB darts around them for a 7 yard gain....what's the difference?

I know it doesn't directly factor into the gain of yards on the play, but I would imagine if you got the FB pounding those LBs for multiple plays, it has to lower their stamina and make them at lease a half-a-step slower in the 4th quarter.

I know what you mean, but I think haven't someone lay the wood on those LBs all game will take a considerable physical toll on the LBs, but more importantly, a major psychological toll.

TheMatrix31
08-04-2011, 08:45 PM
This guy's awesome.

"Once I hit 'em, I throw my hands up cuz I know it's a touchdown."

False Start
08-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Not policing here at all but that would be 'Dudette'. :D

http://bojack.org/images/carson2.jpg

I did not know that.

Rey
08-04-2011, 08:51 PM
I know it doesn't directly factor into the gain of yards on the play, but I would imagine if you got the FB pounding those LBs for multiple plays, it has to lower their stamina and make them at lease a half-a-step slower in the 4th quarter.

I know what you mean, but I think haven't someone lay the wood on those LBs all game will take a considerable physical toll on the LBs, but more importantly, a major psychological toll.

Not only that, but it can make a rb's job a lot easier. It can give them more room to work with if the fb clears a guy completely out the picture.

With the good rb's just a crease can be enough. With slaton you probably want to give him a nice clear lane.

GP
08-04-2011, 09:28 PM
To put it in perspective:

Peyton Hillis had 11 rushing TDs last year, 10 of which were behind Vickers and 1 when Vickers was off the field.

Arian Foster had 16 rushing TDs last year, 13 of which were behind Leach and 3 when Leach was off the field.

Rep your way. That was awesome to go and research that out.

Rey
08-04-2011, 09:52 PM
One thing to keep in mind with vickers and leach is that vickers has paved the way for several successful backs.

Twice for Lewis, a hot second for Harrison, and of course for Hillis. Just about every back thats played behind him has found some sort of success.

CloakNNNdagger
08-04-2011, 10:00 PM
This guy's awesome.

"Once I hit 'em, I throw my hands up cuz I know it's a touchdown."

From some Cleveland sources I've read, this didn't always play well, in that the plays many times were still ongoing. And sometimes this was interpreted as him drawing attention to himself as taking credit for the success of play. As long as he does facilitate the play, I don't mind the celebrating and credit-taking. But I would hope that it comes after the play is completed.

DocBar
08-04-2011, 10:04 PM
One thing to keep in mind with vickers and leach is that vickers has paved the way for several successful backs.

Twice for Lewis, a hot second for Harrison, and of course for Hillis. Just about every back thats played behind him has found some sort of success.
I'm gonna show my ignorance because, hey I got that, and ask if you mean Jamal Lewis;he of 2,000 yds in a season. If so, I did not know this and my little sticker is officially pecking out, in case anyone wanted to know.

vupac1
08-04-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm gonna show my ignorance because, hey I got that, and ask if you mean Jamal Lewis;he of 2,000 yds in a season. If so, I did not know this and my little sticker is officially pecking out, in case anyone wanted to know.

Yes, that Jamal Lewis, but not during his 2000 yd campaign (that was in Baltimore)

A couple yrs ago, a washed up Lewis rushed behind Vickers on the Browns for a surprisingly resurgent season tho

vupac1
08-04-2011, 10:24 PM
From some Cleveland sources I've read, this didn't always play well, in that the plays many times were still ongoing. And sometimes this was interpreted as him drawing attention to himself as taking credit for the success of play. As long as he does facilitate the play, I don't mind the celebrating and credit-taking. But I would hope that it comes after the play is completed.

Wow, so he meant that he literally does throw his hands up? lol... I thought he was just being funny

DocBar
08-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Wow, so he meant that he literally does throw his hands up? lol... I thought he was just being funnyAre you criticizing our secondary? If so, there are several appropriate threads for this.
:pissed:

GP
08-04-2011, 10:36 PM

Hillis ran around the right side of the line vs. Patriots, IIRC, and Vickers blocked #36 repeatedly to the point that Hillis zoomed to the right of Vickers and down the sideline for an easy TD (a pretty long run, btw). You can see Vickers throw his hand up as Hillis zoomed around him.

In that instance, Vickers wasn't going to be able to block anybody else on that play. Hillis was in overdrive as he passed Vickers.

If I sound like a Vickers apologist...it's because I am. LOL.

I get what some are saying, though.

gary
08-05-2011, 01:43 PM
I didn't know you were a moderator.I got a rep message from Toan here is what it reads. I lol.
negged for thinking you're better than others

GP
08-05-2011, 01:50 PM
I got a rep message from Toan here is what it reads. I lol.

Well, I gave you positive rep and pushed you up another 76 points from 5534 to 5610.

Like I said, those guys have been giving my calculator fits. I've been busy positive repping the ones that Toan and SteveSlaton20 have been negging.

When will they learn? Stubborn as a mule.

GuerillaBlack
08-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Man, negative repping is so stupid, unless someone is being insulting. Even then, just forget about it, it's a computer screen. Maybe it should be eliminated? Positive repping is good to see who the quality members are, IMO.

gary
08-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Well, I gave you positive rep and pushed you up another 76 points from 5534 to 5610.

Like I said, those guys have been giving my calculator fits. I've been busy positive repping the ones that Toan and SteveSlaton20 have been negging.

When will they learn? Stubborn as a mule.Yea, I'm better than all of you so just bow your heads in my honor.:kitten:

EllisUnit
08-05-2011, 01:59 PM
when i first joined the board i think i had - negative rep. :thinking: wonder why ;)

michaelm
08-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Man, negative repping is so stupid, unless someone is being insulting. Even then, just forget about it, it's a computer screen. Maybe it should be eliminated? Positive repping is good to see who the quality members are, IMO.

Why, I outta...

Porky
08-05-2011, 03:21 PM
I got a rep message from Toan here is what it reads. I lol.

I was going to rep you but....got the ole spread some rep around deal. Don't let the neg nelly's worry you one bit. You're da man! :kingkong:

Brandon420tx
08-05-2011, 03:34 PM
well, Toan has an overwhelming Rep Power of 16 right now, so I doubt he could do much to anyone

hobie
08-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Heard an interview with Vickers on 790 this afternoon, sounds like he is willing to do whatever it takes for this team to win. Doesn't care if he gets any TD's, carries, or anything...He just wants to do whatever is asked of him and to make this team better and get W's ! Missing Leach isn't that much a concern to me anymore after hearing him talk... sounds focused at the job in front of him !!

El Tejano
08-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Heard an interview with Vickers on 790 this afternoon, sounds like he is willing to do whatever it takes for this team to win. Doesn't care if he gets any TD's, carries, or anything...He just wants to do whatever is asked of him and to make this team better and get W's ! Missing Leach isn't that much a concern to me anymore after hearing him talk... sounds focused at the job in front of him !!

Just wait til he gets to block for the man that made Ray Lewis say he liked the way he played the game.

TexanSam
08-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Going up against the Ravens and Steelers D has to make a dude tough. He'll probably run right through the Titans, Colts, and Jags who are pansies in comparison.

False Start
08-05-2011, 09:00 PM

I got neg repped for saying that I thought Kareem Jacksonwas gonna be a bust... :ok: :toropalm:

Must have been a family member. :rake:

CloakNNNdagger
08-05-2011, 09:04 PM
I got neg repped for saying that I thought Kareem Jacksonwas gonna be a bust... :ok: :toropalm:

Must have been a family member. :rake:

:spit: Negated your negative rep.

CloakNNNdagger
08-05-2011, 09:08 PM

That's not a beer belly........part of the equipment (maybe a fanny pack)........you can see Leinart is sporting the same bulge.

http://prod.static.texans.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2011/08-August/Leinart--nfl_medium_540_360.JPG

Rey
08-05-2011, 09:33 PM
That's not a beer belly........part of the equipment (maybe a fanny pack)........you can see Leinart is sporting the same bulge.

http://prod.static.texans.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2011/08-August/Leinart--nfl_medium_540_360.JPG

I think that is vickers stomach.

But players, especially qb's and rb's wear rib cage protectors, or back flaps.

GP
08-05-2011, 09:48 PM
That's obviously a human head under Vickers' jersey.

Probably a poor defensive back who got in his way. Poor fella'. :(

Allstar
08-05-2011, 10:27 PM

QBs that are actually practicing wear flak jackets. Fullbacks that aren't practicing just have big bellies.

EllisUnit
08-05-2011, 10:34 PM
this guy vickers dont look very happy. does mcnair have photos of him screwing a goat our something and made him sign :thinking: hmm we may never know

CloakNNNdagger
08-05-2011, 11:33 PM
I think that is vickers stomach.

But players, especially qb's and rb's wear rib cage protectors, or back flaps.

I've seen Vickers on TV and in 2010 season games too many time to buy that is his belly. He's always been thick, but very cut. He would have had to put that gut on since the lockout began. I'm waiting for someone to post additional camp pics of him.

Allstar
08-05-2011, 11:49 PM
I've seen Vickers on TV and in 2010 season games too many time to buy that is his belly. He's always been thick, but very cut. He would have had to put that gut on since the lockout began. I'm waiting for someone to post additional camp pics of him.

Maybe he's just pushing it out at that very second? That looks very much like a stomach to me. It would make no sense for him to wear equipment on the day he signed when he's not allowed to practice.

Rey
08-05-2011, 11:51 PM
If you look close enough you can see his belly button indentation.

Kimmy
08-05-2011, 11:53 PM

Man, we need the games to start. And SOON! :)

beerlover
08-05-2011, 11:55 PM
He's just pregnant with desire.

Rey
08-06-2011, 12:00 AM
Man, we need the games to start. And SOON! :)

Lmao!

No kidding.

Kimmy
08-06-2011, 12:31 AM
He's just pregnant with desire.

He caught it from Cushing!!!!

MEGA SWATT
08-06-2011, 01:06 AM
:kitten:

SteveSlaton20
08-06-2011, 03:18 AM
neg repping, srs business.

CloakNNNdagger
08-06-2011, 08:33 AM

You may be correct. But I've never seen him with a pooch up through the 2010 season. I'll wait to see him in person. Meanwhile, when someone sees him at practice, could you kindly report if it's Buddha or buckle?

badboy
08-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Mr. Vickers, sir will you please raise your jersey so fans will know if you have a tummy issue? Mr. Vickers, please quit laughing. Sir, seriously you are going to hurt yourself. Can I get a trainer over here? Mr. Vickers please get up.

Ole Miss Texan
08-16-2011, 09:46 AM
Did anybody notice who was blocking for Ogbonnaya's TD run!!!? Vickers is gonna be good. Dickerson even had a nice block in there.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011081551/2011/PRE1/jets@texans#tab:watch

TEXANS84
08-16-2011, 10:07 AM
James Casey is not the answer at FB. Vickers looked ten times better out there, I surely don't want Casey pass blocking nor lead blocking for Schaub/Foster.

badboy
08-16-2011, 10:11 AM
On the short pass he caught Vickers looked as if he was trying to crank up Chris Johnson speed. One stride he took looked like a stride and 2/3s or something. I thought "uh, oh. Hammy."

Lady.Gaga.3000
08-16-2011, 10:54 AM
And Vickers did good on kick coverage.

El Tejano
08-16-2011, 02:27 PM
And the sweet catch and run he made.