PDA

View Full Version : Ty Warren signs with Broncos

ThaShark316
07-31-2011, 04:32 PM
McClain_on_NFL John McClain
Ty Warren, who grew up in Bryan and played at Texas A&M, an hour from Houston, is visiting the Texans on Monday.

cdain1
07-31-2011, 04:41 PM
http://www.gifbin.com/bin/20048442yu.gif

gary
07-31-2011, 04:43 PM
For cheap money I would sign him.

Allstar
07-31-2011, 04:44 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lezxuyfDdT1qzcghw.gif

gary
07-31-2011, 04:47 PM
Let's see how he does before we start dancing.

steelbtexan
07-31-2011, 04:53 PM
If healthy Warren will be the best 5 tech on the team.

ChampionTexan
07-31-2011, 05:05 PM
if healthy, and actually on the team, warren will be the best 5 tech on the team.

fify

Porky
07-31-2011, 05:05 PM
Make it happen Smithiak. If he can stay healthy, he is better than anyone on the roster in that DE spot. This would almost make up for the Leach failure.

I would still like a JAG vet for CB#2. I know we can't spend big money there, but a veteran guy that won't embarrass himself is needed before I start to get excited. That is the one obvious glaring hole left on paper.

gary
07-31-2011, 05:08 PM
Sign Warren and Cromartie and then call it a day.

The Pencil Neck
07-31-2011, 05:08 PM
Make it happen Smithiak. If he can stay healthy, he is better than anyone on the roster in that DE spot. This would almost make up for the Leach failure.

I would still like a JAG vet for CB#2. I know we can't spend big money there, but a veteran guy that won't embarrass himself is needed before I start to get excited. That is the one obvious glaring hole left on paper.

Be nice to pick up Carlos Rogers or Hayden although they both have injury issues.

I'm more worried about the ILB and the NT spots.

alphajoker
07-31-2011, 05:12 PM
For cheap money I would sign him.

I don't think there is much cap space left so they're going to have to do it for cheap money. Cutting Okoye and Anderson did free some money up but I wonder if it's enough to sign him.

Brandon420tx
07-31-2011, 05:16 PM

We're are most definately out of the Cromartie race, we've got limited money and still have to get the 90 bodies for camp

gary
07-31-2011, 05:20 PM
I'd just sign Ty I was not too serious about us getting Cromartie though.

Rey
07-31-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm not interested in Warren.

Carlos Rogers is who I'd be bringing in.

The Pencil Neck
07-31-2011, 05:36 PM

Don't forget safeties. We could bring in Dashon Goldson and shift Quin back to CB2. Joseph knows Goldson.

TexCanada
07-31-2011, 05:38 PM

Not interested in a guy with experience in the new defense we are going to be implementing, who also happens to come from a winning program? This is exactly the type of signing we need to be making, assuming, of course, that he is healthy enough to play.

ChampionTexan
07-31-2011, 05:44 PM
Don't forget safeties. We could bring in Dashon Goldson and shift Quin back to CB2. Joseph knows Goldson.

He's indicated he'll play at or near the veteran minimum, he's got two Super Bowl rings, and comes from a background of winning and excellence. And he plays a position I think if nothing else, we could use some depth.

Yeah, for some reason, it does conjure up a thought or two of Roosevelt Colvin, and Cato June (and who knows - maybe even Eugene Wilson), and there is an injury concern, but under the circumstances, it appears to be a low-risk, high-reward deal if it happens.

Rey
07-31-2011, 05:45 PM
Not interested in a guy with experience in the new defense we are going to be implementing, who also happens to come from a winning program? This is exactly the type of signing we need to be making, assuming, of course, that he is healthy enough to play.

He is not experienced in the defense we are running. He has played in the same front, but I'm pretty sure wade doesn't run the same type of defense as NE.

It's not completely out of the realm of possibility that this guy Is healthy and good to go, but he missed last year with what some are calling a degenerative injury, failed his physical this year.

The last couple guys we brought in that were NE cast offs have not worked. Colvin and Wilson.

If they sign him to a reasonable deal fine. But I'd rather not sign him to a deal that would hurt us if we cut him in camp. Really I'd rather not sign him at all and find a nt, ilb, and vet cb or as pencil neck said, a safety.

alphajoker
07-31-2011, 05:48 PM
We're are most definately out of the Cromartie race, we've got limited money and still have to get the 90 bodies for camp

As of right now, I think we have around 80 players on the roster. The area they are really deficient in is DT. I'm not sure if the roster is updated frequently but the only tackles they are taking to camp right now are Shaun Cody, Damione Lewis & Earl Mitchell. I can see them signing Warren and using him as a DT. They do have plenty of room to add Cromartie but as you said, there is limited money. I think Warren would be the better choice to spend your last "big" splash of money on as opposed to for Cromartie. Not to say they couldn't use Cromartie but they really need to shore up the DT position in my opinion.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster.html

gary
07-31-2011, 05:49 PM
If this were to happen then all our draft picks and free agents would be solely on defense this year. I am not talking about UDFA just FA.

TexansFanatic
07-31-2011, 05:52 PM

Warren missed significant time in 2008 and 2009 and missed the entire 2010 season on injured reserve. He just failed his physical with the Pats and is 30 years old.

I'd rather have a promising young UDFA than a thoroughly used up star.

alphajoker
07-31-2011, 05:53 PM
If this were to happen then all our draft picks and free agents would be solely on defense this year. I am not talking about UDFA just FA.

Not all our draft picks...don't forget we drafted Yates, QB and an OT but yeah, most of the draft picks did go to the defense practically.

ChampionTexan
07-31-2011, 05:54 PM

Gary, your forgetting about T.J. Yates, Derek Newton, and while they're not new, guys like Butler, Leinart, Jacoby etc. were technically free agent signings too.

gary
07-31-2011, 05:56 PM
Not all our draft picks...don't forget we drafted Yates, QB and an OT but yeah, most of the draft picks did go to the defense practically.True.

Allstar
07-31-2011, 06:06 PM

The coaching staff thinks Quin will be a much better safety than corner. Quin is not going back to CB unless he first fails at safety.

srrono
07-31-2011, 06:14 PM

you guys do realize this isnt madden we are at the end pf our cap thats why we are looking at low priced vets. if Warren healthy and at vet min sign him

SteveSlaton20
07-31-2011, 06:18 PM
I'd take him in a second. We need some size and depth. He's bigger than our NT, and I don't think that's a good thing.

gary
07-31-2011, 06:20 PM
The Texans should not let him leave if he looks good enough.

ArlingtonTexan
07-31-2011, 06:28 PM
The biggest issue with Warren is his health. If he check out then, he helps fill a need of DL depth and experience in a 3-4. There are plenty of people who also think that one of the problems has been the lack of veterans who have experience around winning. That's not an issue with Warren.

GhostRaider2007
07-31-2011, 06:30 PM
Interesting article on Warren and what may have led to his departure from New England aside from the obvious "failed physical"...

Link: (click link for rest of the article)
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/2011_0731pats_lose_way_on_ty/srvc=home&position=also

Pats lose way on Ty

By Ron Borges
Sunday, July 31, 2011

FOXBORO — The “Patriot Way” went wayward last week.

Nothing was more symbolic of the shift in Foxboro from outliers to outlaws than the firing of Ty Warren [stats] less than 24 hours after trading for troubled Albert Haynesworth. Add that to the drafting of Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett, who was off many teams’ boards due to behavioral issues, and the trade for decidedly unPatriotlike Chad Ochocinco, and some wondered what was going on down there.

Warren could have been the poster boy for what the Patriots [team stats] once claimed they stood for: a hardworking, quiet, good citizen who played through injuries for several years and regularly sacrificed his personal potential for the greater good before his hip gave out on him last August and cost him the 2010 season.

cont.... (http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/2011_0731pats_lose_way_on_ty/srvc=home&position=also)

cland
07-31-2011, 06:42 PM
His hip injury is not described as career threatening either: http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5461855 Hopefully the vet minimum statement is true and we can squeak him in under the cap. He'd be competing with Tim Bullman and Tim Jammison as DE backups; there's certainly value their if he checks out medically.

gary
07-31-2011, 07:07 PM
It sucks that he only thirty and injured.

TheRealJoker
07-31-2011, 07:14 PM
If Warren is even 70% of what he once was he would be valuable depth in the DE rotation and an excellent mentor for Watt.

welsh texan
07-31-2011, 07:24 PM
I really hope this comes off. If he is healthy, what more can you ask of a vet min depth player? So much experience and mentoring on offer and hopefully he's still good enough to play a good cameo role in the rotation.

gary
07-31-2011, 07:38 PM
Shoot, if he signs then don't just waste him let him play some snaps every game or every other game but something.

gary
07-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Warren says he is ready to play and has passed his physical.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7677697.html

TexanSam
07-31-2011, 09:14 PM
He is not experienced in the defense we are running. He has played in the same front, but I'm pretty sure wade doesn't run the same type of defense as NE.

It's not completely out of the realm of possibility that this guy Is healthy and good to go, but he missed last year with what some are calling a degenerative injury, failed his physical this year.

The last couple guys we brought in that were NE cast offs have not worked. Colvin and Wilson.

If they sign him to a reasonable deal fine. But I'd rather not sign him to a deal that would hurt us if we cut him in camp. Really I'd rather not sign him at all and find a nt, ilb, and vet cb or as pencil neck said, a safety.

No team runs the exact same type of defense. But having a guy who has at least some knowledge of a 3-4 defense while also providing solid depth is always a plus. This is a no-brainer signing for me if I'm Rick Smith.

CloakNNNdagger
07-31-2011, 09:19 PM

Matt leinart

gary
07-31-2011, 09:30 PM
Matt leinartI was thinking about new guys who have not been here before but yea you're right.

Doppelganger
07-31-2011, 10:26 PM
Hopefully he is better than the Rosevelt Colvin experience!

CloakNNNdagger
07-31-2011, 11:17 PM
I was thinking about new guys who have not been here before but yea you're right.

Yeah, I sort of figured.:handshake:

Stemp
07-31-2011, 11:22 PM
Apparently he met with Denver today, will meet with Houston tomorrow and may meet with the Cowgirls later this week.

gary
07-31-2011, 11:25 PM
Yeah, I sort of figured.:handshake:And sometimes I hurry up thus leaving out Yates AND AN OT. Oy.

Lucky
08-01-2011, 12:29 AM
Here's an interesting piece from GhostRaider's link:

Several times Warren was told by members of Belichick’s staff that he, like several other Patriots coming off surgery, would not be asked to run a team fitness test Wednesday. But when Warren arrived he was told to run. Although he never had failed the test before, Warren felt tightness in his hamstring and pulled up. The consensus was he could pass later, but in less than two days a guy who failed 10 such tests while refusing to play for a team that had paid him $34 million in 13 months was acquired and Warren was released.

Looks like Belichick setup Warren, after signing Haynesworth. No one said that Belichick wasn't an a-hole. What have you done for me lately, Ty?

It's no surprise that Ron Borges took a shot at Belichick. They've had an acrimonious relationship for years. Which is great. I'm so sick of the kissy-kissy crap we get from the Houston media. I want to read the truth from the media, not a team press release.

Patriotsmuse
08-01-2011, 01:34 AM
If healthy Warren will be the best 5 tech on the team.

Agreed if healthy.
I suspect the hip is not 100% post rehab.
As DE he served the Patriots well enough to be traded rather than cut if that was possible. He failed the physical and rumored to have failed conditioning test.
The PATS would have explored every possibility to maximize release value so something does not add up. Cutting him was far more than just a salary cap issue.

80tothezone
08-01-2011, 05:42 AM

I think KJ will take it. He is a number 2 corner who got put in the number one spot with no safety help Which led to a disastrous first season. He will recover though and with Phillips now running the D he will be solid in that position. He isn't terrible, just a terrible #1.

GuerillaBlack
08-01-2011, 09:49 AM

Looks like Belichick setup Warren, after signing Haynesworth. No one said that Belichick wasn't an a-hole. What have you done for me lately, Ty?

It's no surprise that Ron Borges took a shot at Belichick. They've had an acrimonious relationship for years. Which is great. I'm so sick of the kissy-kissy crap we get from the Houston media. I want to read the truth from the media, not a team press release.

Same here. If the Houston media could at least be like the Dallas media, sports talk would be more entertaining in this town. Chron articles and listening to 610 sounds like team propaganda.

b0ng
08-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Same here. If the Houston media could at least be like the Dallas media, sports talk would be more entertaining in this town. Chron articles and listening to 610 sounds like team propaganda.

And on the flip-side listening to 790 sounds like a bunch of Cowboys fans that are forced to talk about the Texans (Besides the *****/wexler show and palillo).

b0ng
08-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Actually the ESPN channel 97.5 seems halfway decent with their local guys, but that's only after listening to a very small amount of their shows and I couldn't tell you names or anything (other than David Dulati is on that station if you remember him with Charlie P from 790).

wow way off topic.

El Tejano
08-01-2011, 10:14 AM

Something is better than nothing.

Signed,

Frustrated Texans fans in Austin, Tx.

Staying on subject. Any word on Warren?

badboy
08-01-2011, 10:21 AM

It's no surprise that Ron Borges took a shot at Belichick. They've had an acrimonious relationship for years. Which is great. I'm so sick of the kissy-kissy crap we get from the Houston media. I want to read the truth from the media, not a team press release.But when we got an opinion from John McClain concerning the Mario over Reggie Bush/VY pick,the Texans shut him out. McClain regularly is blasted on this board for his poor insider contacts with Texans' organization.

GP
08-01-2011, 11:37 AM
If this guy is a lazy ass, then I don't want him here.

I have no use for a guy who wants to just hand-fight in the trenches and not move up the field and get after the QB or ball carrier.

If you lost your job to Haynesworth, then that's just sad. Whether he was set up or not, he lost his job to a huge slacker.

This is why I would rather the Texans get a competent FB than Ty Warren, if it's a deal of having to choose between the two.

If you can't find a quality free agent d-lineman right now, then you hold off and see what we can get in the 2012 draft. I'd be all about letting Wade Phillips go after a quality DL in the draft next year, especially if JJ Watt proves to be productive THIS year...it will signal that Wade knows what he wants and that what he wants is what works in this 3-4.

Section516
08-01-2011, 11:39 AM

I have no use for a guy who wants to just hand-fight in the trenches and not move up the field and get after the QB or ball carrier.

If you lost your job to Haynesworth, then that's just sad. Whether he was set up or not, he lost his job to a huge slacker.

This is why I would rather the Texans get a competent FB than Ty Warren, if it's a deal of having to choose between the two.

If you can't find a quality free agent d-lineman right now, then you hold off and see what we can get in the 2012 draft. I'd be all about letting Wade Phillips go after a quality DL in the draft next year, especially if JJ Watt proves to be productive THIS year...it will signal that Wade knows what he wants and that what he wants is what works in this 3-4.

GP, FWIW

Several times Warren was told by members of Belichick’s staff that he, like several other Patriots coming off surgery, would not be asked to run a team fitness test Wednesday. But when Warren arrived he was told to run. Although he never had failed the test before, Warren felt tightness in his hamstring and pulled up. The consensus was he could pass later, but in less than two days a guy who failed 10 such tests while refusing to play for a team that had paid him $34 million in 13 months was acquired and Warren was released.

Posted earlier by lucky

GP
08-01-2011, 11:42 AM
But when we got an opinion from John McClain concerning the Mario over Reggie Bush/VY pick,the Texans shut him out. McClain regularly is blasted on this board for his poor insider contacts with Texans' organization.

Kubiak and Smith took what was already a pretty cheezeball journalistic standard (Houston media) and reduced it down even more.

I really think, honestly, this is why Richard Justice has such a vindictive hate toward Rick Smith--The Houston media gets nuthin' to work with. They don't get the inside scoop (straight from the Texans) and so it makes the Houston media feel like they are just a P.R. extension of the Texans.

McClain is a nice guy and won't retaliate. But old RJ sure will. Two different personality styles = two different ways of dealing with the stonewalling.

Back when some janitor or other lower-level Texans employee was fired, Justice wrote a scathing piece on the situation and slammed Rick Smith for it. Can't remember exactly what went down...but I think it's possible that the guy was let go for possibly leaking stuff to guys like Justice.

GP
08-01-2011, 11:51 AM
GP, FWIW

Posted earlier by lucky

Thanks for the heads-up. I had seen that post, earlier, so maybe I should have mentioned it in my first post on this topic. My bad.

My concern, in regards to the allegation that Belichick screwed Warren with the bogus fitness test, is that you've got a guy (Warren) claiming his hamstring tightened up and he had to stop.

When will that hamstring NOT be jacked up....so that he can show he can run all out from start to finish? He has been marked by injuries and missed a helluva' lot of games if I read things correctly.

I just don't want to see the Texans wrap up this free agency period with a Ty Warren signing that ends up being a bad idea from the beginning. We've done a great job so far, in the draft AND in free agency, let's not sign a guy who can't get over a tight hammy or some other new ailment that prevents him from giving it his all. Let's not have the ghost of Travis Johnson appear in the form of Ty Warren, in other words.

To this end, a competent and proven FB would be better--We need the depth there, especially if the plan is to see if James Casey can handle it. What if Casey gets hurt? It would be nice to have a competent FB in place in case Casey isn't cutting the mustard or in case he gets hurt. THAT is when you;ll see a drop off in Foster's numbers...so let's make sure we don't piss away our running game at the expense of adding a "potential guy" like Ty Warren.

dalemurphy
08-01-2011, 12:01 PM

I don't think he is. Now, his play has declined the past couple seasons due to injury. In 2006, he had over 80 tackles. Do you have any idea how amazing it is for an interior lineman in that system (or any) to have 80 tackles?! Even as a role player in 2009 and missing a month of football, he still had 45 tackles. That tells me he is very active. So, I would not call him lazy.

The Pencil Neck
08-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Back when some janitor or other lower-level Texans employee was fired, Justice wrote a scathing piece on the situation and slammed Rick Smith for it. Can't remember exactly what went down...but I think it's possible that the guy was let go for possibly leaking stuff to guys like Justice.

Strength & Conditioning coach from the Casserly era and from the Redskins before that. Justice had been in DC during the Casserly days there and knew the S&C coach from back then, too. They were buds.

The problem was that the techniques the guy used were from the 80's and hopelessly outdated.

GP
08-01-2011, 01:10 PM
I don't think he is. Now, his play has declined the past couple seasons due to injury. In 2006, he had over 80 tackles. Do you have any idea how amazing it is for an interior lineman in that system (or any) to have 80 tackles?! Even as a role player in 2009 and missing a month of football, he still had 45 tackles. That tells me he is very active. So, I would not call him lazy.

Well, we have no way of knowing if he is or isn't dogging it and the true extent of his physical condition. Only he does.

While I am no Patriots fan, nor a Belichick fan, I can't see Belichick dumping a good player "Just because he wants to." Last time I checked, he wants to win really really badly.

Add to this that he picks up Haynesworth...and, well, the picture that's being painted isn't exactly a masterpiece.

Something just smells fishy with Ty Warren. My $0.02.

duckbill58
08-01-2011, 01:16 PM

or at least warren and vickers

gary
08-01-2011, 01:21 PM
or at least warren and vickersSo far nothing about either one.

BigBull17
08-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Strength & Conditioning coach from the Casserly era and from the Redskins before that. Justice had been in DC during the Casserly days there and knew the S&C coach from back then, too. They were buds.

The problem was that the techniques the guy used were from the 80's and hopelessly outdated.

Yeah, Riley was RJ's mole. He was fired and replaced and RJ attacked Smith. I don't like Smith, but RJ is a hack journalist.

Wolf
08-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Last week the New England Patriots released DE Ty Warren nine years after they made him their first round pick in the 2003 NFL draft. We of course picked up on the Warren release because of his connection to Kansas City Chiefs GM Scott Pioli, who was part of the front office that drafted Warren.

Warren has been visiting a couple of teams and, according to Mike Klis of the Denver Post, one of those teams is the Kansas City Chiefs.

Warren, meanwhile, has decided to go on tour. After visiting with the Broncos on Saturday and Sunday, and the Houston Texans on Sunday and today, he will visit the Kansas City Chiefs and his former New England general manager Scott Pioli.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/8/1/2309414/patriots-ty-warren-chiefs-free-agency

gary
08-01-2011, 02:28 PM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/8/1/2309414/patriots-ty-warren-chiefs-free-agencyHard balling us is all he did.

GP
08-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Warren making the obligatory Houston TX Drive-By as he tries to get better money from other teams.

This guy is going to sign with the Chiefs. Past connections will get it done.

Screw this guy. Like I said, he can go scrounge somebody else's couch cushions.

Give me Vickers or give me another CB.

beerlover
08-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Warren making the obligatory Houston TX Drive-By as he tries to get better money from other teams.

If he goes to KC its all about the money (they have more cap room) can't blame the guy.

cland
08-01-2011, 05:06 PM

Based on his old DC and GM are pursuing him I have a hard time thinking he's lazy. link (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/42684/report-chiefs-pursuing-ty-warren) And he didn't get 'beat out' by Haynesworth as they never practiced.

The question will be his health evaluation, and how close to the vet minimum he'll play for. The Chiefs have plenty of cap space left, so we'll lose if it comes down to money. Hopefully that Aggie Pride will kick in and commit to the veteran minimum to stay in Texas...but I stand by the 'follow the money' line of thinking.

80tothezone
08-01-2011, 05:13 PM

agree 100 % mario n CO. will get it done with a vengence next yr nother cb or fb and wee goin for da ring this yr

GP
08-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Based on his old DC and GM are pursuing him I have a hard time thinking he's lazy. link (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/42684/report-chiefs-pursuing-ty-warren) And he didn't get 'beat out' by Haynesworth as they never practiced.

The question will be his health evaluation, and how close to the vet minimum he'll play for. The Chiefs have plenty of cap space left, so we'll lose if it comes down to money. Hopefully that Aggie Pride will kick in and commit to the veteran minimum to stay in Texas...but I stand by the 'follow the money' line of thinking.

Wow. They never had a competition to win the spot? Man, I never knew that. Thank you SO much for informing me, Captain Obvious.

It says something when your team tells you to hit the bricks and then they bring in Haynesworth who has been a TOTAL lazy ass and disgruntled man for an entire year prior.

He won't give a hometown discount just because he played for A&M.

He has us planned for a "visit" because it's what those guys do, especially the older guys: They fake it like they are REALLY interested in us, but they're not. Nothing different here with Ty Warren.

TY WARREN: The most recent guy (previously it was a punter Sepulveda or some such name) to ring up the Texans for a stepping stone to a better contract with another team. Eff this guy, and I wish the Texans FO had not even entertained him at all in the first place.

Wolf
08-01-2011, 05:18 PM
What is with the hate? No different that leach(or anyone else) saying he'd want to stay a Texan and moved on due to money
Business is business

ArlingtonTexan
08-01-2011, 06:17 PM
What is with the hate? No different that leach(or anyone else) saying he'd want to stay a Texan and moved on due to money
Business is business

I don't like it as a fan, but as person understanding that I would do what's best for me and my famliy (like the NFL teams do for thier roster), I don't fault any of these dudes at all.

GP
08-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Business is business

The hate?

Leach is a totally different situation. I, and everyone else here, totally approve of Leach leaving for a better payday. Hell, I'd even approve if he left for a bigger payday with the Bills or some other bad team.

This situation of Ty Warren coming here to grace us with a visit is just funny to me. It's same song and dance we've had with other guys.

I get the feeling that Joseph and Manning were definitely wanting to come here and were alerted that the numbers would be crunched by their agents and by Texans FO staff. Those two guys had GENUINE interest in us.

Cedric Benson had genuine interest in us.

Ty Warren has none of that feel to it. Neither did Leigh Bodden.

You guys, by now, should be able to smell a rat when one comes snooping around.

thunderkyss
08-01-2011, 06:42 PM

If I had to guess, I would think WArren just ran into a little bad luck...... sucks it was the Patriot's dime..... but fuggim....

Think about it.. if we sign Warren, he can tell us all of Bellichick's secrets.......

Muwhawhahwawhahahwha
http://www.financialfreedumb.com/images/DrEvil.jpg

The Pencil Neck
08-01-2011, 06:45 PM
This situation of Ty Warren coming here to grace us with a visit is just funny to me. It's same song and dance we've had with other guys.

I don't get the feeling that he's here to "grace" us with his presence to drive up the price before he goes somewhere else.

He's from Bryan. He wants to play for his home town team. He's stated that he wants to play for the Texans or the Cowboys so he can be in Texas. He'd also like to be in KC because of the NE connection.

I got no problem with that and no bad feeling about that. My bad feeling is about his health.

thunderkyss
08-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Hopefully that Aggie Pride will kick in and commit to the veteran minimum to stay in Texas...but I stand by the 'follow the money' line of thinking.

Isn't Gary an Aggie? That's gotta count for something.

& Wade Coached the Aggies... so he's kind of an Aggie.

badboy
08-01-2011, 06:49 PM
The hate?

Leach is a totally different situation. I, and everyone else here, totally approve of Leach leaving for a better payday. Hell, I'd even approve if he left for a bigger payday with the Bills or some other bad team.

I get the feeling that Joseph and Manning were definitely wanting to come here and were alerted that the numbers would be crunched by their agents and by Texans FO staff. Those two guys had GENUINE interest in us.

Cedric Benson had genuine interest in us.

Ty Warren has none of that feel to it. Neither did Leigh Bodden.

You guys, by now, should be able to smell a rat when one comes snooping around.
We smell da rat, da rat smells da cheese; Hi Ho the derryo this free agent smells funky to me.

thunderkyss
08-01-2011, 06:58 PM
He won't give a hometown discount just because he played for A&M.

DAmn!!

Wait..

how do you know?

Our front office pretty much sucks when it comes to selling the Texans to FAs... I know that. But this is one Aggie (Gary) talking to another Aggie (Warren)...

Ain't no telling what is going to come of this.

:aggie:

Rey
08-01-2011, 10:35 PM
I hope we don't sign him. I'd rather someone young and hungry be given an opportunity.

badboy
08-01-2011, 10:38 PM
I hope we don't sign him. I'd rather someone young and hungry be given an opportunity.Uh, who?

SAMURAITEXAN
08-01-2011, 10:57 PM
I would welcome a proven player like Warren when the price is within our affordable range.

Go Texans!!!

Rey
08-01-2011, 11:09 PM
Uh, who?

There are a few young guys on the roster take your pick.

Rey
08-01-2011, 11:11 PM
I would welcome a proven player like Warren when the price is within our affordable range.

Go Texans!!!

I wonder how much he is asking for.

Initially ppl were saying vet min. But if he was truly willing to play in tx for the min, I think he would have signed already.

SAMURAITEXAN
08-01-2011, 11:34 PM
I wonder how much he is asking for.

Initially ppl were saying vet min. But if he was truly willing to play in tx for the min, I think he would have signed already.

Rey, I am not saying min. I am saying within our affordable range and do wonder how much. For players, this is their job. Wouldn't you be interested in team/s that would pay more than the others? If I were Warren, I would be willing to listen to others and evaluate then make my decision. It comes down to his motivation to move such as money, length of contract, scheme, location and so on. I think, this is why he is meeting with multiple teams.

Go Texans!!!

Rey
08-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Rey, I am not saying min. I am saying within our affordable range and do wonder how much. For players, this is their job. Wouldn't you be interested in team/s that would pay more than the others? If I were Warren, I would be willing to listen to others and evaluate then make my decision. It comes down to his motivation to move such as money, length of contract, scheme, location and so on.

Your post just made me think. I wasn't quoting you to debate your statements.

I would rather not sign him, but wouldn't complain if we did.

SAMURAITEXAN
08-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Your post just made me think. I wasn't quoting you to debate your statements.

I would rather not sign him, but wouldn't complain if we did.

I am not intending to debate either and got your point. So you know how I feel about Warren's situation. I would welcome a player like Warren only if it is within our affordable range.

Go Texans!!!

beerlover
08-02-2011, 12:56 AM
Based on last year going inexperience in secondary I would hate to repeat with defensive front. Think of how valuable he would be to JJ Watts development?

DX-TEX
08-02-2011, 01:10 AM
My biggest issue with all of this?

Guy says he wants to play here, for the vet minimum if needed. Then he leaves to visit KC. Says a LOT about the man if the Texans made any kind of offer.

GhostRaider2007
08-02-2011, 01:19 AM
Aside from just a straight forward meeting the chron reports Warren also worked out for the team yesterday as well.

Link:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7679363.html

Warren gets a chance

Veteran defensive end Ty Warren worked out for the Texans on Monday.

Warren, who was waived by New England, is coming off hip surgery that cost him last season. He was at Denver before the Texans and headed to Kansas City after his visit to Houston.

My personal opinion on this is he is just looking at all his options and will probably make his decision on the 4th when unrestricted free agents can actually start practicing with their teams.

GP
08-02-2011, 02:49 AM
I don't get the feeling that he's here to "grace" us with his presence to drive up the price before he goes somewhere else.

He's from Bryan. He wants to play for his home town team. He's stated that he wants to play for the Texans or the Cowboys so he can be in Texas. He'd also like to be in KC because of the NE connection.

I got no problem with that and no bad feeling about that. My bad feeling is about his health.

1a. Coming off the injury he sustained, and the time he lost (all season), I don't think he needs to parade around three different teams like he's doing.

1b. By the way, why are we his second team if he's sooooo interested in playing for us? Because he wanted to start in Denver, fly eastward to Houston, then fly eastward and end up at his last destination (Kansas City) so that he can sign with the team he wants to sign with--Thereby using two teams ahead of him, and leveraging his connection with Pioli (sp?).

Otherwise, he would have been here FIRST.

2. When you get kicked to the curb, and Haynesworth comes aboard your old team, then that says something.

3. He says he wants to play here. You guys think this magical Aggie connection and "hometown discount" crap is a legitimate bargaining tool for Ty Warren? LOL. Geez.

If the Texans wanted him badly enough, he would not have left Houston without a contract. IMO, his only shot is if KC flinches and basically shuns the guy somehow. Only then would we see him come groveling back to Houston, since we'd end up being his backup plan.

Meanwhile, we've got a FB problem. For me, it makes more sense for the Texans to let Ty "The Walking Dead" Warren go on to KC and have a hug with Pioli and sign a speculative deal for a guy who had hip surgery. We can sign a pretty damn good FB in the meantime.

I want no part of this. We've been down that road before. Too much risk.

Brandon420tx
08-02-2011, 03:27 AM
I don't think he'll come here because he's not guaranteed to make the roster, and that's probably what he's looking for

GP
08-02-2011, 03:33 AM
I don't think he'll come here because he's not guaranteed to make the roster, and that's probably what he's looking for

Yeah, there's just so much that feels awkward to me.

Give me Vickers, every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

SteveSlaton20
08-02-2011, 04:22 AM
if ty warren is healthy, and stays healthy, i'd take him any day of the week, and twice on sundays.

El Tejano
08-02-2011, 09:35 AM
Considering that we know Warren was scheduled to meet with us yesterday (Monday), today (Tuesday)I'd like to personally thank The Comical for not reporting to us if that was a succesful visit or not.

GhostRaider2007
08-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Link:
https://twitter.com/#!/NFLDraftBible/status/98363935023054849

@NFLDraftBible

DE Ty Warren worked out for the Texans on Monday, the Houston Chronicle reports. Houston is investigating whether or not his hip will hold up

1 hour ago via web

Errant Hothy
08-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Per the team twitter feed

Houston Texans
Kubiak on free agent DE Ty Warren: "I think he's trying to decide where he wants to go next...We're a part of the process right now."

And Nick

Nick Scurfield
Smith said the Texans had a "good visit" with DE Ty Warren yesterday and that they expect to check back in with him later today

El Tejano
08-02-2011, 01:19 PM
So that would make

Joseph CB
Manning FS
Maynard P
Vickers FB

If we can get Warren for some DL depth, I'd say that's a good offseason

ChampionTexan
08-02-2011, 01:20 PM
So that would make

Joseph CB
Manning FS
Maynard P
Vickers FB

Nothing's been announced regarding Vickers.

Texas T
08-02-2011, 01:20 PM
So that would make

Joseph CB
Manning FS
Maynard P
Vickers FB

And add in a great looking draft!!

I think things are really looking up here and I can't wait for the season to start!

leebigeztx
08-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Yeah, there's just so much that feels awkward to me.

Give me Vickers, every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I'll like vickers and I liked leach, but I think this team is better and more explosive when they're more 11 personel than 12. I think you need a fullback for short situational football, but they need to score points. As great as the so called offense was, the raiders scored more points.

Ole Miss Texan
08-02-2011, 04:00 PM
As great as the so called offense was, the raiders scored more points.
That's being a bit misleading. We scored the 9th most points last year. Ahead of the likes of the Packers, Saints, Steelers, Jets and Ravens.

The Pencil Neck
08-02-2011, 04:01 PM
I'll like vickers and I liked leach, but I think this team is better and more explosive when they're more 11 personel than 12. I think you need a fullback for short situational football, but they need to score points. As great as the so called offense was, the raiders scored more points.

I'm not going to ***** too much about being 9th in the league in scoring, 3rd in the league in yards, and 2nd in the league in yards per play. Especially when we had such a sucky defense that wasn't giving us a particularly short field to navigate.

Could we have scored more? Yeah. And I want us to score more. But 9th isn't horrible and it's a lot better than average.

michaelm
08-02-2011, 04:03 PM
As great as the so called offense was, the raiders scored more points.

The Raiders scored 410 total points last season, but that included:
3 Kick return TDs
2 Interception TDs
1 Fumble Recovery TD

The Texans scored 390 total points but had:
0 Kick return TDs
0 Interception TDs
0 Fumble Recovery TDs

Raider Offense:
19 Rush TDs
18 Receiving TDs

Texans Offense
20 Rush TDs
24 Receiving TDs

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=SCORING&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2010&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

SheTexan
08-02-2011, 04:14 PM
The hate?

Not everyone GP!!

HOU-TEX
08-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Leach was my favorite Texan and VP of the Beast Club

PHAROAH
08-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Bring him in and see where he fits on that front either NT & DE in that 3-4 front if he is healthy this kid is a load no matter where you play him. Just imagine how strong that NE front was with Richard Seymour, Ty Warren & Vince Wilfork man that was a dominant group up front.

Errant Hothy
08-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Kubiak confirmed Warren visited KC today.

Nick Scurfield
They're interested. Kubiak said he talked to him at lunch. Warren visited KC today RT @SupremeKleintel: any update on ty warren?

gary
08-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Kubiak confirmed Warren visited KC today.It is nice that Gary followed up with a phone call.

DX-TEX
08-02-2011, 06:12 PM
It is nice that Gary followed up with a phone call.

Unless Gary said "Ty get away from the damn buffet line!"

leebigeztx
08-02-2011, 06:51 PM
That's being a bit misleading. We scored the 9th most points last year. Ahead of the likes of the Packers, Saints, Steelers, Jets and Ravens.

Its really nothing to complain about, but we can also look at the amount of 3 and out the ofense had early in the game which put the defense back on the field. I mean great offenses don't get up 17 pts on the worse defense in the league, then put up basically a goose egg the rest of the way. Great offenses don't get shut out or go scoreless for an entire half before figuring it out imo. Are the texans a good offense? Yes at times and they run very hot and cold, but they're great when the other team goes based after getting a big lead.

Tailgate
08-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Rick Smith:

On the status of free agent DE Ty Warren…

“We had a good visit yesterday. I think this is a good spot for him (Ty Warren). We talked a long time about all the reasons why I think it’s a good spot for him; I think he believes so. But he’s got some options. He visited a couple different places. He’s at another club now. We’ll get a chance to re-visit with him later today and see where he is in his decision-making process.”

On the health status of free agent DE Ty Warren and if he is confident in that…

“You know what, he’s coming off the hip injury, obviously but our doctors, we did a pretty good work-up yesterday and we feel pretty comfortable about where he is.”

On when he would like an answer from free agent DE Ty Warren…

“I’m not going to pressure him (Ty Warren). Those guys (free agents) can’t practice anyway until Thursday. I think this is a good spot for him. I think we’ve done everything we can do to communicate that to him and we’re going to let him make a decision on his terms.”

http://blog.chron.com/sportsjustice/2011/08/i-think-our-football-team-has-improved-i-think-we-had-a-productive-offseason-texans-gm-rick-smith/

gary
08-02-2011, 08:42 PM
A lot of fans want Warren and some don't care but if this is a player that Smith really wants then I would like to see Rick keep pressing and get the job done.

srrono
08-02-2011, 09:46 PM
awexler Adam Wexler
Ty Warren out. RT @AdamSchefter: Broncos land former Patriots DE Ty Warren with a 2-year, $10 mil deal that includes $2.5 mil guaranteed.

The Pencil Neck
08-02-2011, 09:50 PM
We probably only offered him a year to prove himself.

Revolution
08-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Signed with the Broncos!

srrono
08-02-2011, 09:52 PM
so much for home cooking vet min. lol

SAMURAITEXAN
08-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Oh well, one less subject to discuss about.

gary
So much for wanting to play here or in Dallas I hate that.

michaelm
Signed with the Broncos!

Confirmed. Schefter via Twitter

Broncos land former Patriots DE Ty Warren with a 2-year, $10 million deal that includes $2.5 million guaranteed.

So much for the speculation about league minimum...

GP
08-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Confirmed. To the Broncos, via Schefter's tweet about 8:45'ish.

TexansFanatic
08-02-2011, 09:55 PM
If you want a guy to sign, you don't let him leave town.

The second Warren left Houston, he was gone forever.

BigBull17
08-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Yeah, they can pay him that much. No thanks

DX-TEX
08-02-2011, 09:58 PM

Dont agree, shows his true character. He CLEARLY stated he wanted to play in either Houston or Dallas for league minimum if need be. Showed his true colors.

Rick_Moon
08-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Can't blame him for taking the fatter contract. Really hoped he would've signed here for the vet minimum.

TexansFanatic
08-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Dont agree, shows his true character. He CLEARLY stated he wanted to play in either Houston or Dallas for league minimum if need be. Showed his true colors.

I don't think it's necessary to be pissed at Warren.

I call Houston home also but I'd play in Denver for $2.5 million guaranteed if Houston was offering the league minimum. Especially if my playing days are very near the end.

TexanSam
08-02-2011, 10:13 PM
I think Denver is pretty thin on the D-line. Probably figured he'd get more playing time there.

GP
08-02-2011, 10:20 PM

WHAT?!?!?!

But I thought he played for A&M, and he's from the area, and he was going to give us a hometown discount, and he SAID--HE SAID--that he really wanted to be here!

I feel totally duped! Caught completely off guard! Astounded!

LOL.

(Yawn)

Hope the Broncos like paying a dude with a bad hip. Should be very Jevon Kearse up in Denver.

Just to clarify: I am not pissed at Ty Warren. I am super duper GLAD the guy got bigger money with Denver. I was pissed that he was here and we were flirting with signing his broken hip ass. Now we have the ability to throw our remaining cash at Vickers and get that deal done.

Ckw
08-02-2011, 10:27 PM
I'll tell you what I am wondering. Maybe we were exclusively wanting him to play at DT and just be a backup DE should injuries occur, but he wanted to stay at DE. The guy spent too much time with us taking the physical and working out and everything for this to have happened like this. Maybe when we finally said what position we wanted him to play, he said I will look at my other options.

Come on Rick!!! We STILL need a DT. This is not an A+ offseason yet. A- so far.

TexansFanatic
08-02-2011, 10:31 PM
I was pissed that he was here and we were flirting with signing his broken hip ass.

http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif

I felt that way myself from the beginning.

Then I allowed the dufus homer in me to start getting excited about Ty Warren playing in Houston.

I was disappointed he signed with Denver for about 10 seconds. I'm okay now.

vupac1
08-02-2011, 10:36 PM
this means we sure as hell better sign vickers

gary
08-02-2011, 10:42 PM
I will laugh hard if the Broncos make the playoffs but the Texans do not.

The Pencil Neck
08-02-2011, 10:45 PM

What?

Because we didn't give the best deal to a guy with a bad hip who probably didn't want to play the position that we wanted him to play?

:wadepalm:

Honoring Earl 34
08-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Attention K Mart shoppers .

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency

gary
08-02-2011, 10:54 PM
What?

Because we didn't give the best deal to a guy with a bad hip who probably didn't want to play the position that we wanted him to play?

:wadepalm:Nope. Mainly because I believe the Texans should make the playoffs with the moves they have made so that's why.:wadepalm:

GP
08-02-2011, 10:54 PM

Huh?

Ty Warren is not THAT big of a difference maker, gary.

Josh McDaniels has SO screwed that Broncos team. 2011 won't be a playoff year for the Broncos, not even with Grandpa Warren and his walker out there.

Sometimes the best signing you make is the one you didn't make.

GP
08-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Nope. Mainly because I believe the Texans should make the playoffs with the moves they have made so that's why.:wadepalm:

I see now what you're saying, but man oh man sometimes because of the short posts you make...it leaves room for us to misunderstand your ideas.

And I know why your posts are short, not knocking you on that, I'm just sayin' it's easy to see why sometimes you get frustrated with us when we misunderstand your intentions.

You're saying that you'd have a chuckle as in "I can't believe the Broncos made the playoffs and we didn't" because we ought to make it and they shouldn't.

gary
08-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Huh?

Josh McDaniels has SO screwed that Broncos team. 2011 won't be a playoff year for the Broncos, not even with Grandpa Warren and his walker out there.

Sometimes the best signing you make is the one you didn't make.Calm down too serious.

Honoring Earl 34
08-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Huh?

Sometimes the best signing you make is the one you didn't make.

I'm glad we've stopped being the team that guys go to for their last contract .

gary
08-02-2011, 11:02 PM
I see now what you're saying, but man oh man sometimes because of the short posts you make...it leaves room for us to misunderstand your ideas.

And I know why your posts are short, not knocking you on that, I'm just sayin' it's easy to see why sometimes you get frustrated with us when we misunderstand your intentions.

You're saying that you'd have a chuckle as in "I can't believe the Broncos made the playoffs and we didn't" because we ought to make it and they shouldn't.There you go but I make long posts if I have to.

DX-TEX
08-02-2011, 11:04 PM
I don't think it's necessary to be pissed at Warren.

I call Houston home also but I'd play in Denver for $2.5 million guaranteed if Houston was offering the league minimum. Especially if my playing days are very near the end.

Not pissed. When all is said and done and he is no longer blessed to be able to play this game anymore he will always have his money because he sure as hell wont have his honor.

El Tejano
08-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Puto Ty Warren!

TexansFanatic
08-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Not pissed. When all is said and done and he is no longer blessed to be able to play this game anymore he will always have his money because he sure as hell wont have his honor.

LOL

Okay. I wonder how many players in the NFL are playing for honor.

edo783
08-02-2011, 11:33 PM
LOL

Okay. I wonder how many players in the NFL are playing for honor.

20% maybe

ArlingtonTexan
08-03-2011, 12:25 AM

He randomly said he would like play for Dallas or Houston, but made no actual commitment to so...i.e. agreed to a contract. During the process, he found out he had options beyond Houston or Dallas (btw I never saw him use the word only those two cities) and explored them. he choose the one that he thought was best for his family. Whether that was pure money or playing time or coaching etc is not really important. It is his choice since there was no prior commitment.

If he had agreed to a deal, I get talking about character and honor. Backing out a statement of " I would like to do ----" does not seem dishonest or shaddy in any way.

GP
08-03-2011, 12:28 AM
Puto Ty Warren!

Puto.

LOL. That's a first. Haven't seen that thrown out on this message board, though maybe I've missed it elsewhere.

Rey
08-03-2011, 12:30 AM
Never wanted him. Good riddance.

thunderkyss
08-03-2011, 07:59 PM
I hope we don't sign him. I'd rather someone young and hungry be given an opportunity.

That's because you're cheap.

thunderkyss
08-03-2011, 08:14 PM
We probably only offered him a year to prove himself.

Did you have a valuation of Warren?

Would you think $5M/yr?

I'm wondering if Rick outsmarted himself & threw in a home-town advantage vet min deal out there.

I don't think Warren is going to make or break our team... But to hedge our JJWatt bet, I think I would have gone after him pretty strong.

The Pencil Neck
08-03-2011, 08:48 PM

Would you think $5M/yr?

I'm wondering if Rick outsmarted himself & threw in a home-town advantage vet min deal out there.

I don't think Warren is going to make or break our team... But to hedge our JJWatt bet, I think I would have gone after him pretty strong.

I haven't really jumped in on the whole Warren thing with an opinion. But the way he was let go makes me suspect there's something wrong there -- maybe with the hip, maybe with something else. Just from what I've heard and not really knowing what's going on, I would have offered him vet minimum and a 1 year contract to prove himself and I would have let him walk.

Rey
08-03-2011, 09:04 PM
That's because you're cheap.

Yep.

Mees stingy wit Mcnairs monies.

GP
08-04-2011, 02:32 PM

Would you think $5M/yr?

No friggin way. Not with the hip problem.

Too much risk, not enough reward to outweigh the risk component.

I figure we had him priced accordingly, due to hip issues. That's where everything happens: The core area, including the hips. Ask Jevon Kearse how easy you get over a hip problem playing DL in the NFL. All that weight, all that torque on your core as you drive, swivel, run, etc.

I am not saying he can't be GOOD. But he got paid between GOOD and GREAT, and I think we showed good discipline. I'm trying to figure out how Rick was going to handle both Vickers and Warren in terms of cap situation, so for ME I am glad Warren took himself out of the running and allowed us to really firm up the deal with Vickers.

Errant Hothy
08-04-2011, 06:37 PM
610 just stated that Warren was 20-30 lbs over weight. Wonder if it was a factor in the Texans passing on him.