PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like Leach is gone...signs with Baltimore

TEXANS84
07-31-2011, 11:52 AM
Per his twitter:

My time in Houston was great, thank my teammates, my fans.
6 mins, 1 sec ago

b0ng
07-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Sucks to see him leave :(

Nawzer
07-31-2011, 11:58 AM
Damn this sucks. Brian Cushing said on his twitter a couple of days ago that the locker room won't be the same without Leach. I don't know who's going to be that guy next, but I sure do hope the Texans know what they're doing.

gary
07-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Bad move here.

DocBar
This is one of the reasons I dislike twatter. What a crappy way to get bad news.

False Start
Well hell... this sucks. :kitten:

Mr. Texan
07-31-2011, 12:02 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/ofcy2p.gif

BigBull17
07-31-2011, 12:03 PM
Bad move here.

With the moves they had to make on D, it was inevitable.

MeLoveTexans
07-31-2011, 12:06 PM
Going to Baltimore per John mcclain's twitter. 3 yr 11 mil

c10x
07-31-2011, 12:06 PM
McClain_on_NFL John McClain
Fullback Vonta Leach has agreed to a Three-year $11 million contract with Baltimore.

srrono
07-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Fullback Vonta Leach has agreed to a Three-year $11 million contract with Baltimore

TheMatrix31
07-31-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm DEFINITELY getting Ray Rice in every fantasy league. As if he wasnt a beast anyway.

Thanks, Vonta. You were the heart and soul, and we will regret this very heavily.

TEXANS84
07-31-2011, 12:08 PM
Going to Baltimore per John clayton's twitter. 3 yr 11 mil

Damn, ray rice to have a monster season.

Sucks to lose sweet feet, he will be missed.

The Pencil Neck
07-31-2011, 12:08 PM
Ah, well. Sad to see him go.

I had seen in another forum where some Raven fans were drooling over him and saying that Rice would lead the league in rushing if they got him.

gary
07-31-2011, 12:11 PM
Merge threads and move them.

TEXANRED
07-31-2011, 12:12 PM
Fire Rick Smith!

Pantherstang84
07-31-2011, 12:12 PM
Well that sucks. Obviously, he didn't want to stay here. Hope he enjoys the rude fans on the east coast.

silvrhand
07-31-2011, 12:13 PM
that sucks but happy for him, that's a nice contract for a fullback and he deserves it.

Trail.Blazr
07-31-2011, 12:13 PM
Bummer for Houston.

Good for Vonta. Getting to play only a couple hundred miles from home.

fore
07-31-2011, 12:17 PM
Hope Vickers is on their radar.

PapaL
07-31-2011, 12:19 PM
I get to still see him ever Sunday! He'll fit in great in Baltimore. He's a tough SOB. They have a team of tough SOBs.

Honoring Earl 34
07-31-2011, 12:20 PM
Oh well , he's the same guy who was FB the year before when we couldn't gain a foot of fourth down .

This just in ... James Casey has decided it's time to hold out ... jk . :hurrah:

DocBar
07-31-2011, 12:23 PM
Let the great "TE's can do anything" experiment continue.

gwallaia
07-31-2011, 12:24 PM
Well ****!

Nawzer
07-31-2011, 12:27 PM
I'm officially worried if I'm Arian Foster...

TexansBull
07-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Fullback Vonta Leach has agreed to a Three-year $11 million contract with Baltimore.

Maybe we can steal hem away at the last second like we did with Kevin Walter. Hopefully its a verbal agreement and not a signature just yet. I hope someone does something amazing to keep him.

Htownsportsfan
07-31-2011, 12:29 PM
I am a big Vonta fan, he is a monster in short yardage, always gives it his all when in the game including on special teams. He did have an impact on Fosters success but many of Fosters yards including some of his longest run came out of a single back set where he simply made things happen with his feet. I wanted Vonta back at the right price due to his work ethic and locker room popularity but given the choice between spending on Joseph and Manning and saving money for Vonta I would choose the back end help every time. Rick Smith and the rest of the FO need to graciously say thanks to Vonta and get back on the phones and find a NT of LB who wants the money Vonta left behind.

Rey
07-31-2011, 12:31 PM
Peace vonta.

I hope we crush you when we play baltimore.
May you meet Cushing in the hole and get your head cracked.

Texas T
07-31-2011, 12:32 PM
Oct. 16th is gonna be tough on our LBs. Gotta get creamed by Vonta...

Rey
07-31-2011, 12:35 PM
I'm fine with the three potential full backs we have on the roster as of now.

I'm hoping Casey goes ahead a solidifies himself there and I think our offense will be able to breathe a bit better because of it.

Errant Hothy
07-31-2011, 12:36 PM
Great contract for Leach.

Foster will be fine. With ODs return 2 TE sets might just be the norm.

DocBar
07-31-2011, 12:39 PM
Great contract for Leach.

Foster will be fine. With ODs return 2 TE sets might just be the norm.Those could be sick.

srrono
07-31-2011, 12:42 PM
Le'Ron McClain, FB, Ravens. Age: 26 is a free agent

Pantherstang84
07-31-2011, 12:45 PM
At least I can watch the first game of the season from last year and watch the Indianapolis line backers step out of his way in the second half.

Also, this should teach us fans a lesson about voting one of our players into the Pro Bowl during a contract year.

AnthonyE
07-31-2011, 12:45 PM
This is bunk.

:hankpalm:

DocBar
07-31-2011, 12:46 PM
Le'Ron McClain, FB, Ravens. Age: 26 is a free agentHe signed with Denver and was wanting more carries.

TexanSam
07-31-2011, 12:46 PM
Sucks but Leach isn't the sole reason Foster had a great season. Obviously it's a hit to our running game but I doubt it suffers too much. Also a pretty hefty contract for a FB. With the money we have invested in Joseph and Manning along with signing first round picks, the Texans may not have had the cap room to match that contract.

ChampionTexan
07-31-2011, 12:50 PM
He signed with Denver and was wanting more carries.

I think you're confusing him with McGahee.

DocBar
07-31-2011, 12:52 PM
I think you're confusing him with McGahee.Nope. (http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/30854361)

Rey
07-31-2011, 12:56 PM
Le'Ron McClain, FB, Ravens. Age: 26 is a free agent

I doubt we bring in a fb like that. I think they just go with Casey.

I don't see McClain costing a whole lot less than leach.

ChampionTexan
07-31-2011, 12:59 PM
Nope. (http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/30854361)

I believe that is incorrect as I know McGahee signed with Denver and your link doesn't reflect that (From article about Leach's signing):

Leach takes over for another Pro Bowl fullback, Le’Ron McClain. Reports say that the Chiefs are looking at possibly inking McClain.

LINK (http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2011/07/31/baltimore-inks-pro-bowl-fullback-vonta-leach-for-three-years-11-million/)

DocBar
07-31-2011, 12:59 PM
I doubt we bring in a fb like that. I think they just go with Casey.

I don't see McClain costing a whole lot less than leach.According to CBS Sports, McLain signed with Denver. I posted a link a couple of posts ago.
EDIT: I guess CBS Sports screwed the pooch. Sorry for the misinformation.

fiasco west
07-31-2011, 01:00 PM
Well Kubiak thinks his ZBS is plug in and get good results so lets see. We just lost a major playmaker for our run game IMO.

ChampionTexan
07-31-2011, 01:01 PM
According to CBS Sports, McLain signed with Denver. I posted a link a couple of posts ago.

I think CBS Sports mixed up McGahee and McClain.

mussop
07-31-2011, 01:03 PM
That's to much money for just a battering ram. If Casey can become an adequate blocker with his abilities we'll be just fine.

TexansBull
In other news, the Texans have run out of money...

Leach said the Texans told him they didn't have enough money left to offer what Baltimore was offering.

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7677450.html#ixzz1ThuZnqkG (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7677450.html#ixzz1ThuZnqkG)

The Pencil Neck
Walter Football still shows McClain as a FA and I thought I just saw him as a FA on NFLN. But these guys don't necessarily update that quickly.

gary
07-31-2011, 01:04 PM
I'll take McClain.

Rey
07-31-2011, 01:04 PM
According to CBS Sports, McLain signed with Denver. I posted a link a couple of posts ago.
EDIT: I guess CBS Sports screwed the pooch. Sorry for the misinformation.

I don't think that is accurate.

They have a couple mistakes forth texans too. They don't have diles with the rams and I think wevstill have Jason Allen, right?

Imatexanfan
07-31-2011, 01:05 PM
We play the Ravens comin' up beginning this season, its gonna get hectic for ol' Leach whenever Watt wreckshop on his ass...:fans:

DocBar
07-31-2011, 01:07 PM
Isn't McClain looking to get more carries? He might not want to come here just to be a battering ram.

JCTexan
Tate is already trying to take his #.

Think im going back to the ol 44 been it my whole football career hate to see the big bro Leach go......
http://twitter.com/#!/BenTateRB

TheMatrix31
Hmm....who are the FBs available?

fiasco west
07-31-2011, 01:12 PM
In other news, the Texans have run out of money...

No wonder we've not been going after anyone. I think they still have to get their guys signed including Watt so that could be why.

DocBar
07-31-2011, 01:13 PM
I don't think that is accurate.

They have a couple mistakes forth texans too. They don't have diles with the rams and I think wevstill have Jason Allen, right?Yeah, I just looked all that up on other sites. Sorry for the misinfo.

TexansBull
07-31-2011, 01:14 PM
Tate is already trying to take his #.

http://twitter.com/#!/BenTateRB

Obviously the number he picked was bad luck.

The Pencil Neck
07-31-2011, 01:16 PM
Hmm....who are the FBs available?

McClain from the Ravens, Kuhn from the Packers, and Vickers from the Browns.

I'd like Kuhn or McClain. Not sure about Vickers.

Rey
07-31-2011, 01:20 PM

I don't think those guys will get paid a whole lot less than leach. They probably don't blow people up like leach, but overall they are more versatile.

I'm surprised gb has not brought Kuhn back.

And I think McClain sees himself as a slash type player. I think he wants to carry the ball.

Norg
07-31-2011, 01:21 PM
SO who is going to try and stop Leech come the time we play the ravens ????

Demco ???? Cushing ???

IMo both will be pancaked if they try to get in his way

Hopefully they know tricks in how to beat Leech Maybe Speed can win u know like juke around him or something

Heath Shuler
07-31-2011, 01:22 PM
http://www.nfl.com/player/johnkuhn/2506147/profile

John Kuhn

Height: 6-0 Weight: 250 Age: 28

http://www.nfl.com/player/leonardweaver/2506179/profile

how healthy is Lenoard Weaver?

ChampionTexan
07-31-2011, 01:25 PM

I'd be okay with Vickers or Kuhn. I don't think McClain will be here for three reasons:

1. If they wouldn't give Vonta 3 years $11 Million, I don't think they'll give another FB anything close to that, and McClain will probably be too expensive.

2. McClain is on record as saying he wants more carries, and with the return of Tate, and re-signing Ward, I don't think either the Texans or McClain will view it as a good fit.

3. (and granted - this is somewhat a regurgitation of the second point) Vonta's success was based on him being a blocker 95% of the time. If you're simply looking for a blocking fullback, why pay McClain for having skills that you don't really want anyway?

If McClain's price is lower than I think it's going to be, and he's genuinely willing to reduce his carry expectations, then I'm okay with him too, but I don't think that will be the case.

Brandon420tx
07-31-2011, 01:30 PM
Eh I honestly don't want any of the FB's whose name I might recognize (well, maybe Kuhn). Most of the FB's people know nowadays are statbacks, which was a completely different skill set than Leach, I remember not knowing anything about Leach when he signed and I want that feeling again, or go with Casey since as a H-Back he provides nearly the same exact type of FB we'd get out of McClain, Weaver, Kuhn

fiasco west
07-31-2011, 01:32 PM
Doubt we sign another FB since it seems we are set on Casey. Texans aren't going to throw someone in the way of Casey.

TimeKiller
07-31-2011, 01:33 PM
Bummer but not totally unexpected and if the Texans aren't just saying things to smooth it over, perhaps VL really did price himself out of the Texans' reach. If it came right down to it and the choices were getting Joseph & Manning or keeping Leach and only getting one of the defensive backs...I say we needed more help in the backfield than the running game.

Frankly, James Casey looks every bit as intimidating as VL and that was before he bulked up another 10 lbs. Not to discredit VL at all but James Casey at 6'3'' 250 isn't a wet noodle. I'm pumped to see what the dude can do and have been since he got drafted. He's athletic, can run, has much better hands than VL and doesn't limit playcalling or how deceptive they can be. Foster needs to trust Casey the way he did Leach because despite how you view either FB, FOSTER is the one carrying the rock and that was the most difference made between having a shit running game and then having a league leading rusher. VL was a nice Robin but FOSTER is Batman.

Leach is the enemy now. What a fitting team to go to.

The Pencil Neck
07-31-2011, 01:35 PM
I'd be okay with Vickers or Kuhn. I don't think McClain will be here for three reasons:

1. If they wouldn't give Vonta 3 years $11 Million, I don't think they'll give another FB anything close to that, and McClain will probably be too expensive.

2. McClain is on record as saying he wants more carries, and with the return of Tate, and re-signing Ward, I don't think either the Texans or McClain will view it as a good fit.

3. (and granted - this is somewhat a regurgitation of the second point) Vonta's success was based on him being a blocker 95% of the time. If you're simply looking for a blocking fullback, why pay McClain for having skills that you don't really want anyway?

If McClain's price is lower than I think it's going to be, and he's genuinely willing to reduce his carry expectations, then I'm okay with him too, but I don't think that will be the case.

You're making the assumption that we need a FB to do exactly what Leach did and no more. I wouldn't mind giving some carries to the FB because it gives you the ability to do more misdirection. Both McClain and Kuhn give you a dimension that Leach doesn't have.

Granted, it might not be as many carries as McClain would like but still...

Rey
07-31-2011, 01:42 PM
Bummer but not totally unexpected and if the Texans aren't just saying things to smooth it over, perhaps VL really did price himself out of the Texans' reach. If it came right down to it and the choices were getting Joseph & Manning or keeping Leach and only getting one of the defensive backs...I say we needed more help in the backfield than the running game.

Frankly, James Casey looks every bit as intimidating as VL and that was before he bulked up another 10 lbs. Not to discredit VL at all but James Casey at 6'3'' 250 isn't a wet noodle. I'm pumped to see what the dude can do and have been since he got drafted. He's athletic, can run, has much better hands than VL and doesn't limit playcalling or how deceptive they can be. Foster needs to trust Casey the way he did Leach because despite how you view either FB, FOSTER is the one carrying the rock and that was the most difference made between having a shit running game and then having a league leading rusher. VL was a nice Robin but FOSTER is Batman.

Leach is the enemy now. What a fitting team to go to.

This.

Makes little sense to bring in McClain or Kuhn when you have Casey waiting in the wings. He will cheaper and probably just as good.

If you are looking for a fb that will be able to take some carries, I'm not sure why you wouldn't give that opportunity to Casey.

Folks acting like Casey is some soft dude are crazy. You don't get the nickname Thor by being soft.

My guess is that the offense will become a bit more versatile now.

fiasco west
07-31-2011, 01:50 PM
This.

Makes little sense to bring in McClain or Kuhn when you have Casey waiting in the wings. He will cheaper and probably just as good.

If you are looking for a fb that will be able to take some carries, I'm not sure why you wouldn't give that opportunity to Casey.

Folks acting like Casey is some soft dude are crazy. You don't get the nickname Thor by being soft.

This is the best thing about Casey. Dude is a TE he'll be able to come out of the backfield and really catch. If his run blocking is average I think he'll help the team a lot.

TheRealJoker
07-31-2011, 01:54 PM
Our running game will lose the smash mouth capability we really only used in game 1 last season. With Casey, we will transition fully to a finesse offense which is our bread and butter. Expect Casey to become a reliable safety net for Schaub.

Rey
07-31-2011, 01:57 PM
This is the best thing about Casey. Dude is a TE he'll be able to come out of the backfield and really catch. If his run blocking is average I think he'll help the team a lot.

Honestly I think he'll be an above average blocker. People are over reacting to this leach stuff IMO.

Leach leaves, Arian is doomed, Casey is not tough enough, no one else can block well from that position.

Jameel cook and Moran Norris did ok. I think Casey will be alright.

rollinstone18
07-31-2011, 02:01 PM
guy was a bulldozer, sad to see him go. i'm anxious to see what casey can do tho

DBCooper
07-31-2011, 02:11 PM

Good god!

Is your avatar a picture of you from behind?

FR0497
07-31-2011, 02:37 PM
Good god!

Is your avatar a picture of you from behind?

LOL, that would be Keyra Agustina....

Sucks that Leach is gone BUT, like others have said, our O just got a bit more versatile.

Playoffs
07-31-2011, 02:55 PM
Big loss.

I wonder how much difference there was in $$$?

SheTexan
07-31-2011, 03:08 PM
Very disappointed, but, football in Houston will go on! If Vonte had wanted to stay in H-town he would have stayed. I feel sure the Texans did everything they could to keep him, but, it was all about the money, not football, not your teammates, not dedication to the team that gave you a chance in the first place. Don't let the door hit you in the ass Vonte, you are now the enemy!! I hope our D shuts down Ray Rice like a rat in a trap!! That'll show V who he should have played for!!

thunderkyss
07-31-2011, 03:12 PM
Does that mean Laron McClain is available?

thunderkyss
07-31-2011, 03:19 PM

What if we are looking at this wrong?

What if we are going to see more 2 back sets?

Foster & Ward at the same time? they can both block for Matt... They can both catch out of the backfield... they can both run the ZBS....

:fans:

thunderkyss
07-31-2011, 03:22 PM
Eh I honestly don't want any of the FB's whose name I might recognize (well, maybe Kuhn). Most of the FB's people know nowadays are statbacks, which was a completely different skill set than Leach, I remember not knowing anything about Leach when he signed and I want that feeling again, or go with Casey since as a H-Back he provides nearly the same exact type of FB we'd get out of McClain, Weaver, Kuhn

People didn't know Leach's name before he got here, because there was no reason for anyone to know his name. He'd been in Greenbay for three years & started 2006 with NO.

He didn't do anything worth knowing till he got here.

Section516
07-31-2011, 03:28 PM
Ahmad Hall from the Tit's is a FA..Right in there with Leach in terms of blocking

thunderkyss
07-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Ahmad Hall from the Tit's is a FA..Right in there with Leach in terms of blocking

We let Leach go because he was overvalued for what we need him to do..

Why did Tennessee release Hall?

imatexan
07-31-2011, 03:45 PM
Going to miss Leach, he was one of our most consistent player for a long time.
I just have a feeling Casey won't be able to bring the fire that Vonta had, hope I am wrong but I just don't see it.

I mean 11 million 3 years we couldn't do that? :/

MEGA SWATT
07-31-2011, 03:48 PM
That sux.:kitten:

Heath Shuler
07-31-2011, 03:50 PM
James Casey isn’t a natural fullback. He’s not coming off an All-Pro Season either.

But with Vonta Leach gone to Baltimore, Casey will be first in line to take over work that was so crucial for Arian Foster in his 1,616-yard rushing season.

Casey could be great and it could work.

But I’m skeptical and I think they should shop for a cheaper option, perhaps Heath Evans, Ahmard Hall or Lawrence Vickers.

Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. is a big fan of Leach. So his answer to my question about Casey as the Texans’ primary lead blocker didn’t surprise me.

“I don't like it" WIlliamson said. "I like Casey for sure-because he can do many things well, but he isn't Leach. Leach is like Lorenzo Neal -- just a pure hammer who strikes with fantastic leverage and power. Casey isn't built like that or nearly as powerful. Casey would offer more, in that you could move him around pre-snap and throw him the ball more. But there would be a huge drop-off as a pure lead blocker. Leach is a stud in that department.

“They NEED to find a hammer fullback. There are a lot of them around -- even rookies. They are all very one-dimensional, but so what? They need that guy in that O.”

Perhaps one of the team’s rookie free agents will fit the bill. Zac Pauga from Colorado State is listed as a fullback while Bubba Bartlett from Carroll College is listed as a fullback/tight end.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/25818/williamson-texans-need-hammer-fb

mattieuk
07-31-2011, 03:55 PM
NOOOOOOO!

I wasn't believing that they wouldn't be able to resign Vonta. I'm pretty annoyed/worried that we're going to be without Vonta next year.

El Tejano
07-31-2011, 03:58 PM

Now this would be a good pickup. Especially off a division rival.

As for Casey, well I believe him going to FB is best for the team. He will have to beat out to UDFAs so he will have his work cut out for him. This also means that TE Garrett Graham who we drafted last year will get to show how good he is.

Brandon420tx
07-31-2011, 04:01 PM
Why? Ahmad Hall is not known for his blocking ability, He's more like Jameel Cook

Errant Hothy
07-31-2011, 04:19 PM
Former Browns FB Lawrence Vickers says his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, is talking to the Texans. They need to replace Vonta Leach.
web • 7/31/11 4:04 PM

Per McLain's tweeter feed.

ChampionTexan
07-31-2011, 04:30 PM

One less option:

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
RT @adbrandt: Packers re-sign John Kuhn. The cult hero returns.

badboy
07-31-2011, 04:35 PM
Vontae, you are dead to me. You are dead to the family.

Brisco_County
07-31-2011, 05:39 PM
Even though Casey is strong (benched 28 reps at the combine), and I've seen him lay some hard hits on special teams, he's too tall for fullback. That position requires a low center of gravity to launch upwards into the block. He's going to have to hit guys head on. But I do like the idea of having an H-back.

GuerillaBlack
07-31-2011, 05:39 PM
This.

He's white. Be honest, if Vonta or Casey were running at you, who would you be more scared of? ;)

DocBar
07-31-2011, 05:42 PM
He's white. Be honest, if Vonta or Casey were running at you, who would you be more scared of? ;)I'm old, fat and white. I'd be scared of both.

House of Pain
07-31-2011, 05:45 PM
Obviously the number he picked was bad luck.

Oh yeah, and switching to Lorenzo White's number is better? Did he make it through a whole season without being injured?

cland
07-31-2011, 06:09 PM
It's too bad to see Vonta go, he really brought a physical force and toughness to our "finesse" line--whether you buy that description or not. This was a cap based decision the team made and it's sucks to to lose a fan favorite, but I'm glad to see reports that it was done as classy as it can done.

Vonta thought he was more marketable than the Texans offer indicated.
He tested it and was right.
He offered the Texans a chance to match the offer.
The Texans made a decision not to match due to cap concerns and their own valuation.
Vonta moves on to another team after thanking the organization, coaches, teammates, and fans.

I hope him the best, so long as he's not playing the Texans.

Unfortunately, this is how business should be done in the NFL. Now the pressure is back on the coaches to find a cheaper replacement. If they do it's a win-win resolution.

Rey
07-31-2011, 06:31 PM
He's white. Be honest, if Vonta or Casey were running at you, who would you be more scared of? ;)

Honestly neither one. I'm 6'4 280 and in good shape.

Not saying i would flatten either one, but I wouldn't be scared.

And I'm black so other black people don't scare me.

DBCooper
07-31-2011, 06:36 PM

Lol, you might scare someone though!

otisbean
07-31-2011, 06:40 PM
Hopefully, in time, Casey develops into a similar player as this guy:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/56/daryl-johnston

Theyre similar in size and this guy was pretty darn good.

The Pencil Neck
07-31-2011, 06:41 PM

I'm 5'7" and 200 pounds and in OK shape for a guy my age.

I get scared when I see any grown person running at me.

GP
07-31-2011, 06:58 PM
Maybe Thor can be our Dallas Clark?

Sometimes, a guy like James Casey needs a void in order to step up his game. Out of the shadows and into the spotlight. Sink or swim.

And I've seen Thor obliterate a defender on a run to the left side where it set up a Foster TD.

I think Vickers has to sign on the cheap.....OR, Vickers is being used by us to try and get Ty Warren to take the minimum.

Never know what games are going on.

chicagotexan2
07-31-2011, 07:14 PM
You win some ( Joseph & manning)
you lose some (leach)
overall I think were still ahead of the game but vonta will be missed. The big boy was nasty and he liked plowing the road. I wish leach well except when he plays against us.

KA4Texan
07-31-2011, 09:15 PM
Im not worried, Kubiak knows what he is doing. :nolisten:

CloakNNNdagger
07-31-2011, 10:13 PM
As lead blocker on runs, at 6'4" 280#, he better be watching out for all those trees that will be "accidentally" falling on his knees.:kitten:

DocBar
07-31-2011, 10:36 PM
As lead blocker on runs, at 6'4" 180#, he better be watching out for all those trees that will be "accidentally" falling on his knees.:kitten::um::confused:

CloakNNNdagger
07-31-2011, 10:38 PM
:um::confused:

Sorry, meant 280#

Hervoyel
07-31-2011, 10:44 PM
I think it was the only truly bad move this entire off-season. A lot of things have gone right or as close to right as any Texans fan can reasonably expect this year so I don't want to sound like I'm looking for something to ***** about but I just think that keeping Jacoby Jones while letting Vonta Leach go is a big mistake.

Not a fatal mistake by any means but a big one. Jacoby Jones is a bad route running pair of questionable hands with speed. Vonta Leach is money in the bank at FB. If Foster hits walls next year and gets off to a slow start everyone is going to look back at the decision to not bring Leach back and shake their heads.

CloakNNNdagger
07-31-2011, 10:46 PM
I think it was the only truly bad move this entire off-season. A lot of things have gone right or as close to right as any Texans fan can reasonably expect this year so I don't want to sound like I'm looking for something to ***** about but I just think that keeping Jacoby Jones while letting Vonta Leach go is a big mistake.

Not a fatal mistake by any means but a big one. Jacoby Jones is bad route running pair of questionable hands with speed. Vonta Leach is money in the bank at FB. If Foster hits walls next year and gets off to a slow start everyone is going to look back at the decision to not bring Leach back and shake their heads.

I'm already practicing shaking my head.........

Showtime100
07-31-2011, 10:49 PM
I can't believe this happened. Texans will be Texans I guess.

Texan_Bill
07-31-2011, 11:04 PM
GOOD for Vonta!!! GOOD for the Texans..... Never, ever overpay for a FB!!! Good luck to Vonta as a Raven!!!

GuerillaBlack
07-31-2011, 11:24 PM
Don't know why people are so worried. It's not like the Texans were beasts running the ball before Arian (when Leach was here). It's more the RB than FB. Leach just got a lot of publicity because Arian Foster was an UDFA and came out of nowhere. As long as the next FB is an adequate blocker and can get up field, the running game will go as far as Arian's (and Tate's and Ward's) legs will take it.

Showtime100
07-31-2011, 11:35 PM
GOOD for Vonta!!! GOOD for the Texans..... Never, ever overpay for a FB!!! Good luck to Vonta as a Raven!!!

Really?? Vonta had much to do with our success in running the football. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's my belief we will be forced into 3rd and long much more that we want due to Vonta's absence.

Showtime100
07-31-2011, 11:36 PM
Don't know why people are so worried. It's not like the Texans were beasts running the ball before Arian (when Leach was here). It's more the RB than FB. Leach just got a lot of publicity because Arian Foster was an UDFA and came out of nowhere. As long as the next FB is an adequate blocker and can get up field, the running game will go as far as Arian's (and Tate's and Ward's) legs will take it.

I see it differently in this case. No usually where a RF and FB are concerned, but in this case I do.

JB
08-01-2011, 12:46 AM
Don't know how much not having Leach will directly effect the running game, but I remember watching LB'ers cring in the second half of games when they say Leach headed their way. To me that was huge.

ObsiWan
08-01-2011, 04:11 AM
Don't know how much not having Leach will directly effect the running game, but I remember watching LB'ers cring in the second half of games when they say Leach headed their way. To me that was huge.
Unfortunately, this year it will be OUR LBs cringing when Vonta is headed in their direction. And don't think Vonta won't be looking to put an exclamation point on each and every block.
Oh well, it's only one game.
I just hope this decision doesn't impact our offense as negatively as that "let's go with youth" did to our defensive backfield last year.

Señor Stan
08-01-2011, 07:17 AM
Even though Casey is strong (benched 28 reps at the combine), and I've seen him lay some hard hits on special teams, he's too tall for fullback. That position requires a low center of gravity to launch upwards into the block. He's going to have to hit guys head on. But I do like the idea of having an H-back.

Moose Johnston was 6'2" 242...

edit sorry...Didn't see otisbeans post...

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1739858&postcount=96

otisbean
08-01-2011, 07:23 AM
While it was fun to see Leech crush people, all the FB has to do is occupy the LB for a split second to allow Foster to pass by. I also think Casey's ability in the passing game will more than make up for the loss of Leech. Look, Kubiak may not be the greatest HC in the world but offensively he is top notch. In 09 we sucked balls in short yardage situations and we sucked at red zone efficiency (with Leech as FB) - both areas improved tremendously in last year. I think if we have issues with the FB you'll see different formations, mulitple TEs (insert obligatory TE joke here), H-back, spreading the field ect... I think we'll be fine.

otisbean
08-01-2011, 07:26 AM
Moose Johnston was 6'2" 242...

edit sorry...Didn't see otisbeans post...

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1739858&postcount=96

Great minds think alike! LOL

Señor Stan
08-01-2011, 07:40 AM
Great minds think alike! LOL

if you want to go old school...

Tim Wilson from the Luv ya Blue Oilers was 6'3". RIP Tim.

TimeKiller
08-01-2011, 08:06 AM

I mean I realize that Leach deciding to leave will leave a negative backlash for anyone trying to fill that spot.....but I guess I just didn't think people would make shit up. Really....have you naysayers ever even SEEN the dude?

Texan_Bill
08-01-2011, 08:13 AM
While it was fun to see Leech crush people, all the FB has to do is occupy the LB for a split second to allow Foster to pass by. I also think Casey's ability in the passing game will more than make up for the loss of Leech. Look, Kubiak may not be the greatest HC in the world but offensively he is top notch. In 09 we sucked balls in short yardage situations and we sucked at red zone efficiency (with Leech as FB) - both areas improved tremendously in last year. I think if we have issues with the FB you'll see different formations, mulitple TEs (insert obligatory TE joke here), H-back, spreading the field ect... I think we'll be fine.

This is my thinking. ^^^^^^^^

While I loved Leach and the way he played the game, you could plug Casey in that spot and virtually accomplish the same thing. Will there be a little drop-off, perhaps but enough to overspend for Vonta.

CloakNNNdagger
08-01-2011, 09:01 AM

Sometimes, it just comes down to finding the right match........I think they call it "chemistry." We may find it again. But how much time will be lost looking and in trial and error experimenting.........a couple of weeks, months, seasons??

Ole Miss Texan
08-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Leach will be missed, he was one of my favorites and I loved his style of play. I definitely think he's a really good FB and helped the team tremendously.

With that said, Leach did not make Arian Foster. No. 23 is good, guys. I don't want to discount Leach's presence in the run game last year... but we cannot discount Foster's abilities. What makes Foster so good for this team are his abilities to see the field, anticipate the hole and then break extremely quickly. He can and will be able to do this without Leach.

I'll preface this by saying I'm not a big fan of "highlight" videos but in many cases it's all us fans can go off of. I urge everyone to watch this all the way through: pause and play frequently so you can see when Leach is in there, when he's not, where he blocks, where Foster goes. This is a testament to how well we clicked last year. At the same time, it shows how many times Foster made the play himself. Sometimes you can "project" where Casey or the new FB may take care of business. And in some cases you can see just how dominant Leach was. Nonetheless, Foster is good because of his individual skillset.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY9TRNzF4wY&feature=related

El Tejano
08-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Leach is gone, no matter what so now I'm getting over it now.

TheDrifter
08-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Meh.

I don't think you should over pay for a blocking fullback. We can find another mean guy willing to slam into people for six figures.

And really, the writing has been on the wall since the draft when it became obvious we were going to have to spend money to upgrade the secondary in free agency.

I think Joseph + Manning is worth losing Leach. If it was a trade scenario, I'd certainly send the big dude packing.

Thorn
08-01-2011, 10:53 AM
The running game will suffer, but we don't by how much just yet. Foster and (hopefully) Tate will still have a good year, perhaps just not as good as we had hoped for.

I'm sad to see Leach go, but I'm not going to panic just yet. Game one against Indy will tell us a lot then. As others already said, the defense had to be improved no matter what. You can't make it very far into the playoffs without a good defense no matter how good your offense is.

thunderkyss
08-01-2011, 11:00 AM
We need to get used to things like this.

The better we get, the more frequently other teams will want our players, & our coaches. We aren't any different than the other 31 teams. It would be nice to keep everyone... but it ain't going to happen.

Vonta could have given us a home-town discount. He didn't... c'est la vie......

I wish him luck, I'll look forward to seeing him in the pro bowl & the play-offs for years to come.

& yes, I threw up a little bit in my mouth when I said other teams will be wanting our coaches.

HoustonFrog
08-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Sometimes, it just comes down to finding the right match........I think they call it "chemistry." We may find it again. But how much time will be lost looking and in trial and error experimenting.........a couple of weeks, months, seasons??

Agree. Look at Emmitt and Moose. Some guys are smart, know their role and the RB trusts them to make the right block and spring the right hole. People saying you can just plug in other people are wrong. There is a reason there are the same top FBs every year and not just 31 running into a wall dummies. This year teams will scheme differently on Foster. It helps when you have a FB that can still hit the right guy. People HIGHLY underestimate the role of guys like this in championship teams.

thunderkyss
08-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Agree. Look at Emmitt and Moose. Some guys are smart, know their role and the RB trusts them to make the right block and spring the right hole. People saying you can just plug in other people are wrong. There is a reason there are the same top FBs every year and not just 31 running into a wall dummies. This year teams will scheme differently on Foster. It helps when you have a FB that can still hit the right guy. People HIGHLY underestimate the role of guys like this in championship teams.

It's not like Foster followed Leach on every carry. If they are right about Leach only being in on 30% of the run plays I would guess 50% of those, Leach went one way & Foster went another.

Foster isn't just following blocks, he's reading them all in front of him. Those cutbacks.... no lead block from the FB.

HoustonFrog
08-01-2011, 11:23 AM
It's not like Foster followed Leach on every carry. If they are right about Leach only being in on 30% of the run plays I would guess 50% of those, Leach went one way & Foster went another.

Foster isn't just following blocks, he's reading them all in front of him. Those cutbacks.... no lead block from the FB.

The FB still has to make whatever block he is in for though..whether it be backside, taking on a LB or whatever. It is very important that you have a guy that can carry out his role. Again, there is a reason why people know Moose Johnston and over the recent years Lorenzo Neil, Tony Richardson, etc.

Dan B.
08-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Leach pretty much got what Leinart did. I think he's more valuable than a backup QB.

CloakNNNdagger
08-01-2011, 12:38 PM
This is what we would expect to hear.

RT @NickScurfield James Casey took reps at fullback. Gary Kubiak: "We could be built a little differently when it's all said and done." 08-01

Showtime100
08-01-2011, 12:44 PM
This is what we would expect to hear.

RT @NickScurfield James Casey took reps at fullback. Gary Kubiak: "We could be built a little differently when it's all said and done." 08-01

I'll take under on the 8 wins. :strangle:

BigBull17
08-01-2011, 12:48 PM

So, they fix a HUGE weakness on the secondary, and lose a fullback that means under 8 wins? A real d coordinator with actual talent won't improve 8 wins? A little too much riding on a fullback. It sucks in football, but these are decisions that a team has to make.

TimeKiller
08-01-2011, 12:51 PM

Because VL isn't our fullback?

Wow. A new all-time low for the boards...

Showtime100
08-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Because VL isn't our fullback?

Wow. A new all-time low for the boards...

Just watch. I'm good at this.

Oh, and F>>>>>U for saying that unnecessarily.

Rey
08-01-2011, 01:13 PM
We won't miss vonta much if at all.

TheDrifter
08-01-2011, 04:09 PM
...I dont like the look of some of these punters.

I'll take the under on 4 wins.

Mr. White
08-01-2011, 04:13 PM
The next time that a player (or his teammates) asks for my vote for the Pro Bowl, then they can pound sand.

Double Barrel
08-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Bummer. Sad to see him go and JJ stay. We'll see how that works out...hopefully for the better, of course.

TimeKiller
08-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Just watch. I'm good at this.

Oh, and F>>>>>U for saying that unnecessarily.

Was that supposed to be sarcasm? Cuz it went waaaaaay over my head and I'm usually pretty keen on sarcasm.

vupac1
08-03-2011, 12:05 PM
With the Vickers signing, I finally feel a sense of closure with all of this.

I can now fully be happy for Leach getting the big payday that he deserved, while we found a GREAT value replacement who I expect to more than fill his shoes

WIN-WIN for both parties I say, let the Vickers to the Beach era begin!

michaelm
08-03-2011, 12:07 PM
With the Vickers signing, I finally feel a sense of closure with all of this.

I can now fully be happy for Leach getting the big payday that he deserved, while we found a GREAT value replacement who I expect to more than fill his shoes

WIN-WIN for both parties I say, let the Vickers to the Beach era begin!

Whoa... let's just squash this Vickers to the beach thing before it get started.
That's how we ended up losing Leach in the first place!!!

gary
08-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Leach got paid and I don't blame him for that. I hope to see him in more Pro bowls to come he deserves it.

vupac1
08-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Whoa... let's just squash this Vickers to the beach thing before it get started.
That's how we ended up losing Leach in the first place!!!

Sorry it's gonna be hard to dispute after Foster leads the league in rushing again ;)

michaelm
08-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Leach got paid and I don't blame him for that. I hope to see him in more Pro bowls to come he deserves it.

Me too, as long as he's backing up Vickers!

gary
08-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Me too, as long as he's backing up Vickers!The choice was either to offer Vonte a huge deal or first spend the money on defense and a punter and then offer Vonte whatever was leftover just a hunch.

KA4Texan
08-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Sorry it's gonna be hard to dispute after Foster leads the league in rushing again ;)

This saying makes me terrified.... not if it happens, just the matter of fact way its said, to me it feels more like making the cover of madden or "the titanic is unsinkable" am I to superstitious?

Dan B.
08-03-2011, 02:53 PM
The choice was either to offer Vonte a huge deal or first spend the money on another overrated backup QB and then offer Vonte whatever was leftover just a hunch.

fixed