PDA

View Full Version : Best Training Camp Battles

DocBar
07-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Camp starts tomorrow and I haven't seen a thread on this, so here it is.
This has got to be the quietest camp as far as position battles in Texans history. #2CB figures to be the biggest, but there should be battles at S, ILB and DT on the D side of the ball and possibly a good battle at RB and #2-#3 WR on O.
I hope to see a good battle at ILB because the Texans are playing it smart with Ryans and rehabbing him instead of playing him. I could see Kagler starting the season there alongside Cushing.
With Tate coming back after missing virtually all of the 2010 season, I see him being hungry and really pushing Ward and, to a degree, Foster.
The thing I want to see most is honest competition at these positions without regard to draft position or contract #'s. Let the best man win and put the best players on the field.
What do y'all think?

Allstar
07-30-2011, 07:24 PM
I hope to god that CB #2 is a good battle.

Lucky
07-30-2011, 07:39 PM
I hope to god that CB #2 is a good battle.

They have to put someone out there. Maybe a vet CB pops up as a cap casulty and Smith grabs him? He's been pretty good at pulling guys off the street (Demps, Pollard, Ward). If not, my money is on Jason Allen.

If they don't re-sign Leach, I guess they would bring someone to compete with Casey?

Connor Barwin vs Brooks Reed? Both have to learn the position. I think Barwin's the better athlete and should have the edge.

Mitchell vs Cody? Both will play, so it may not matter who starts. Still hoping for a big body to come in (crosses fingers).

Punter? I guess they'll bring in two to compete.

Holliday, Jones, and possibly Manning as kick returners. With the new kickoff rules, I don't think it matters much.

Brandon420tx
07-30-2011, 07:53 PM
Punter? I guess they'll bring in two to compete.

Holliday, Jones, and possibly Manning as kick returners. With the new kickoff rules, I don't think it matters much.

My guess is Hartmann vs Sepulveda

Your right with the new kickoff rules, it doesn't matter to much with KR. I hope they go with whoever secures the ball the best. Whats more important is punt returns, and I really hope Keo locks that one down

TexanSam
07-30-2011, 07:54 PM
If they don't re-sign Leach, I guess they would bring someone to compete with Casey?

Will the Texans move Casey to FB? They signed a couple of undrafted free agents who play fullback.

Lucky
07-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Will the Texans move Casey to FB?
He was listed as Leach's backup. I'm not really sure what the plan is. Maybe get another vet FB (Vickers from the Browns, perhaps)?

Battle Blood
07-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Tate vs. Ward for backup carries should be a good one.

Lucky
07-30-2011, 11:01 PM
I've looked over the Texans roster and counted the following:

Players signed - 72
Draft picks to sign - 8
Restricted or Exclusive Free Agents - 2

After signing the draft picks, RFA (Brisiel), and EFA (Foster), the Texans roster would be at 82. So they could sign 8 more free agents with the camp rosters set at 90. Will they sign 8 and have a complete roster? Not sure. I'm only counting 8 defensive linemen (if Nading & Jamison move to OLB). It seems like they will bring in a couple more d-linemen, at least. A numbers breakdown by position:

QB - 3
RB - 5
FB - 2 (3 if Casey is at FB)
WR - 10
TE - 5 (4 if Casey is at FB)
T - 7 (6 if Darius Morris plays G)
G - 5 (6 if Darius Morris plays G)
C - 2

NT - 2
DE - 6
OLB - 8
ILB - 6 (I put Adibi here)
CB - 9
S - 9

K - 1
P - 1
LS - 1

Thin at NT and C for sure. Could also use help at FB, DE, OL, ILB, and punter.

Brandon420tx
07-30-2011, 11:04 PM
They'll probably rotate Watt at NT a few times during camp

texasguy346
07-30-2011, 11:34 PM
He was listed as Leach's backup. I'm not really sure what the plan is. Maybe get another vet FB (Vickers from the Browns, perhaps)?

If Leach signs with another team I'd like to see them bring in Kuhn from the Packers or maybe even Hall from the Titans. I really hope they re-sign Leach though.

Rey
07-31-2011, 12:58 AM
If leach isn't re signed I want to see what Casey can do.

If they bring in a vet I want it to be open competition there.