PDA

View Full Version : Texans cut Okoye & Anderson

JCTexan
07-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Just saw it on rotoworld:

Texans released DT Amobi Okoye and WR David Anderson.

http://rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/207926/texans-cut-loose-former-top-ten-pick-okoye

The Pencil Neck
07-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Well. There you go.

SheTexan
07-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Not surprised! Leaves something to be said about drafting a 19 y/o. JMO!

welsh texan
07-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Where are all the Okoye apologists now? He has hurt this franhise really bad the last few years IMO, at least with TJ the team around him was devoid of potential, Okoye has held back much better talent around him for the last few years.

gary
07-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Now sign another free agent or two.

JamesBill
07-30-2011, 03:16 PM
Why would they dump DA? What does he make? 1 million max?

Trap_Star
07-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Damn, was hoping something would of came out of the okoye for lechler rumor.

HOU-TEX
07-30-2011, 03:18 PM
I can care less about Okoye, but I like DA. I trust him going over the middle much more than JJ. Not sure I like cuttin DA, just for the record

gwallaia
07-30-2011, 03:19 PM
I hate to lose David Anderson. He has always been one of my favorite players. He played a lot tougher than his small frame.

EDIT: I see where DA could return for the league minimum.
I assume the league minimum is still pretty obscene compared to working folks in the real world.

DX-TEX
07-30-2011, 03:19 PM
Why would they dump DA? What does he make? 1 million max?

I think its more like 2.

jaayteetx
07-30-2011, 03:20 PM
what a disaster that pick was, and the babin one, and the travis johnson one, and the, ah hell, just forget it

srrono
07-30-2011, 03:21 PM
I hate to lose David Anderson. He has always been one of my favorite players. He played a lot tougher than his small frame.

future patriot

gary
I like David too.

jaayteetx
DA may be resigned at a lower number, we'll see.

DX-TEX
future patriot

Why? they switchin to the Run-n-Shoot?

Rey
07-30-2011, 03:23 PM
I would not be surprised if da lands with the colts.

Trap_Star
07-30-2011, 03:23 PM
I have a feeling DA will go to the chargers.

DX-TEX
07-30-2011, 03:24 PM
I would not be surprised if da lands with the colts.

Rams. He will become Bradfords Welker.

Not a starter though.

WAIT:Redskins.

jaayteetx
07-30-2011, 03:25 PM
anybody want to bring up the list of players we passed on for amobi or is it gonna ruin my dinner?

mariowillshine15
07-30-2011, 03:27 PM
anybody want to bring up the list of players we passed on for amobi or is it gonna ruin my dinner?

It'll make you throw your dinner against the wall.

mussop
07-30-2011, 03:27 PM

What you talkin about,,,,,Willis?

Trap_Star
07-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Revis :D

jaayteetx
07-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Ok...ok, enough already. just two names is all it took, ugh.

Lucky
07-30-2011, 03:36 PM
Okoye has a better chance of making another NFL roster. Not a good chance, but a chance. Anderson offers nothing on special teams and a paltry 10 ypr average. There's no reason for the Texans to re-sign and keep Anderson over a young WR with special teams ability.

mussop
07-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Okoye has a better chance of making another NFL roster. Not a good chance, but a chance. Anderson offers nothing on special teams and a paltry 10 ypr average. There's no reason for the Texans to re-sign and keep Anderson over a young WR with special teams ability.

But he's a nice likable guy.

DX-TEX
07-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Okoye will be signed by the Broncos and become a pro bowler.

Book it.

Trap_Star
07-30-2011, 03:50 PM
Okoye will be signed by the Broncos and become a pro bowler.

Book it.

bears....he's more of a lovie type DT

DX-TEX
07-30-2011, 03:51 PM

nfldraftupdateDion Caputi

#Texans release WR David Anderson & DT Amobi Okoye. Both were on the team's trading block. #Broncos have interest in Okoye.

4 minutes ago

Trap_Star
07-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Caputi can suck it.

Vinnie
07-30-2011, 05:32 PM
It has been real Houston. A city in which i have established great friends and great memories. I will keep u all updated on my future!!
Twitterrific 7/30/11 5:02 PM

Brandon420tx
07-30-2011, 05:36 PM
The writing was on the wall when we brought back JJ. There were just too many young wide receivers brought in that have great talent. His cap hit vs. his average performance and pretty much already being at his peak talent level were also factors

beerlover
07-30-2011, 05:38 PM
I hope David Anderson returns to Houston someday after his playing days to work in media, he is a talented, fun guy to listen to.

mattieuk
07-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Damn. The guy is a solid receiver, and looks like a great team mate - I'm sure he'll be missed in the lockerroom.

Vinnie
07-30-2011, 05:43 PM
I hope David Anderson returns to Houston someday after his playing days to work in media, he is a talented, fun guy to listen to.

I agree, his attitude and srappy play have made him a favorite of mine over the last couple years.

El Tejano
07-30-2011, 05:58 PM
I loved David Anderson. Remember his rookie year. He came a long long way to even get this far in an NFL career. However, his release is a sign that the Texans are doing everything to get better.

Nawzer
07-30-2011, 05:59 PM
Will miss DA definitely. Hopefully he doesn't come back to bite us, but I wish him the best. He definitely has a career in entertainment waiting once he's done with pro football.

thetexanator
07-30-2011, 06:08 PM
guy that made the most out of the talent he had. guy has great hands

cland
07-30-2011, 06:13 PM
Good Look DA. I'll miss his humor as much as his ability to catch anything thrown at him (despite physical consequences.) The 'power lanes' haircut was ridiculously funny.

DexmanC
07-30-2011, 06:34 PM
David Anderson was the face of the "Bad News Bears" / "Little Engine
That Could" Texans. I'm surprised they're actually AGGRESSIVE
in the offseason in trying to become a REAL NFL SQUAD.

thunderkyss
07-30-2011, 06:41 PM

Colts

chicagotexan2
07-30-2011, 06:45 PM
He good news is okoye is still very young. The bad news is that means he'll suck in the league for a longer time. DA might find a niche but I wouldn't be surprised if he's already peaked. I think it's safe to say okoye blew his wad in his rookie year. It's been downhill since. What a waste of a top ten pick.

SheTexan
07-30-2011, 06:47 PM
guy that made the most out of the talent he had. guy has great hands

Hell of a lot better than JJ!! My stomach didn't do flip flops when DA was on the field. I swear I have ulcers due to JJ, plus bad eyes from squinting everytime the ball was thrown, or kicked, to him! Gawd, that boy makes me nervous!!

dalemurphy
07-30-2011, 06:53 PM
Hell of a lot better than JJ!! My stomach didn't do flip flops when DA was on the field. I swear I have ulcers due to JJ, plus bad eyes from squinting everytime the ball was thrown, or kicked, to him! Gawd, that boy makes me nervous!!

Jacoby makes me nervous too. But, he can stretch the field and threaten the defense. DA could not. With Andre's injury last year, DA's lack of athleticism was exposed. He does not belong on a good NFL team.

srrono
07-30-2011, 06:53 PM
DA signing with denver

johnelway John Elway
by JasonLaCanfora
We agreed to terms with WR David Anderson from Houston. A great addition for us.

Lucky
07-30-2011, 07:28 PM
I think it's safe to say okoye blew his wad in his rookie year. It's been downhill since. What a waste of a top ten pick.
I think some guys peak early, athletically. Some are late bloomers. Some are just good, period. I can see why Smith and Kubiak thought, "This guy can play at 19? Wait until he's 24! We'll, it got real old waiting.

I truly believe that if Wade didn't have the pull in this organization, Smithiak would foist Okoye upon us for another season. Thanks, Wade for seeing the obvious.

ChampionTexan
07-30-2011, 07:28 PM
And on the Okoye front:

caplannfl Adam Caplan
Okoye has offers from a bunch of 4-3 teams. He's weighing chance to start vs. System.

texasguy346
07-30-2011, 07:31 PM
According to Vaughn McClure via Twitter and also posted on rotoworld he signed with the Bears.

Bears agree to terms with DT Amobi Okoye, the 10th overall pick in 2007 draft, sources tell me. One-year deal.

link (http://twitter.com/#!/vxmcclure23/status/97461885087125504)

ThaShark316
07-30-2011, 07:31 PM
caplannfl Adam Caplan
Agent Darin Morgan confirmed via email that Amobi Okoye has decided to sign with the Chicago Bears. Terms were not disclosed

caplannfl Adam Caplan
Broncos, Colts and a few other teams also were interested.

Oh thank you Jesus he ain't go to Indy...

TheMatrix31
07-30-2011, 07:39 PM
Poor Bears.

imatexan
07-30-2011, 07:42 PM
caplannfl Adam Caplan
Agent Darin Morgan confirmed via email that Amobi Okoye has decided to sign with the Chicago Bears. Terms were not disclosed

caplannfl Adam Caplan
Broncos, Colts and a few other teams also were interested.

Oh thank you Jesus he ain't go to Indy...

He has always been a very hard worker, still young, and has size.

Can't blame any team for taking him just on the potential alone, although so far he of course has been a let down.

DX-TEX
07-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Poor Bears.

Texans usual M.O. continues for former 1st round picks: Okoye all Pro this year.

Lucky
07-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Texans usual M.O. continues for former 1st round picks: Okoye all Pro this year.
Huh? Only one of the ex-Texans 1st rounders (Babin) ever did anything great after he left the team. And that was 4 years and 5 teams later.

DocBar
07-30-2011, 07:57 PM
Supposed to be a 1 yr deal. LINK (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/30/bears-bringing-in-amobi-okoye/)

DX-TEX
07-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Huh? Only one of the ex-Texans 1st rounders (Babin) ever did anything great after he left the team. And that was 4 years and 5 teams later.

You're right, Im an *****.

Been a long 5 days.

EDIt: Why is i-d-i-o-t censored?

RipTraxx
07-30-2011, 07:59 PM

Patrick f*ckin Willis! consider ur appetite spoiled.

Lucky
07-30-2011, 08:05 PM
Why is i-d-i-o-t censored?
Because it's often used to insult fellow posters.

c10x
07-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Patrick f*ckin Willis! consider ur appetite spoiled.

11th pick - Patrick Willis
14th pick - Darrelle Revis
19th pick - Michael Griffin
20th pick - Aaron Ross
23rd pick - Dwayne Bowe
24th pick - Brandon Meriweather

Maddict5
07-30-2011, 08:47 PM
11th pick - Patrick Willis :(
14th pick - Darrelle Revis :(:(
19th pick - Michael Griffin meh up & down
20th pick - Aaron Ross havent heard much about him lately
23rd pick - Dwayne Bowe :(
24th pick - Brandon Meriweather rubbish player by all accounts

beerlover
07-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Don't feel bad. Remember Texans flipped 1st rd. picks to get Schaub & the Falcons just released their guy (Jaamal Anderson) too. So they lost not only a NFL starting QB they lost their #1
pick.

DocBar
07-30-2011, 10:44 PM
11th pick - Patrick Willis :(
14th pick - Darrelle Revis :(:(
19th pick - Michael Griffin meh up & down
20th pick - Aaron Ross havent heard much about him lately
23rd pick - Dwayne Bowe :(
24th pick - Brandon Meriweather rubbish player by all accounts

And what kind of face/judgement would you put on Okoye? Nobody outside of Houston, Texas has heard jackdiddleysquat about Okoye until Shitcago picked him up.

GP
07-30-2011, 11:57 PM
Bears fans gonna' come here and read hundreds of pages of posts on Okoye.

They will wonder if Okoye was ruined by a bad Texans defense, and will rationalize that they can get him utilized better than we did.

I'm glad he will be a topic on the Bears board from now on.

And why is it that when Okoye was cut, someone says "Thank you, Wade Phillips, for recognizing a problem," but David Anderson gets cut and nobody thanks Kubiak for it?

Maddict5
07-31-2011, 12:14 AM
Don't feel bad. Remember Texans flipped 1st rd. picks to get Schaub & the Falcons just released their guy (Jaamal Anderson) too. So they lost not only a NFL starting QB they lost their #1
pick.

ya if you look back at it, it was a pretty bad 1st rd... that was 10 flat out busts, another 10 amobi type very average players, and only about 10 that i would say have lived up to their status as 1st rounders: megatron, joe thomas, AD, willis, revis, timmons, leon hall, griffen & ross are maybes, beason, bowe, staley's marginal & olsen (who's been traded for a 3rd)

TimeKiller
07-31-2011, 12:30 AM
How amazing is this? In one swoop the Texans have a. admitted Okoye was a bust AND cut him and b. sent one of the cronies packing.

Addressing problems with logical decisions. What's going on here?!?

Norg
07-31-2011, 02:16 AM
David anderson was deff a fan fav how could u not like him he was funny a just a all around good person

wish him da Best in his future :fans:

ObsiWan
07-31-2011, 05:51 AM
I bear neither of them any ill will but it was definitely time to upgrade both spots. Good luck to them both unless they're playing us.

Go Texans
:fans:
(but not former Texans)

thunderkyss
07-31-2011, 06:38 AM

They will wonder if Okoye was ruined by a bad Texans defense, and will rationalize that they can get him utilized better than we did.

And why is it that when Okoye was cut, someone says "Thank you, Wade Phillips, for recognizing a problem," but David Anderson gets cut and nobody thanks Kubiak for it?

I'm sure there are plenty of thank you's for cutting David Anderson.

I also believe Okoye will turn into something with the right direction. He's talented, & appears to be a pro in how he goes about his business.

If we had spent a little time truly improving our pass defense, our pass rush would have been fierce. Amobi & Antonio are almost always a hair away from a sack.

HJam72
07-31-2011, 08:27 AM
Regardless of whose fault it is, Amobe didn't accomplish much for us, we could've had Revis, and Amobe is better suited for a 4-3.

Maybe he will shine in somebody else's D (or maybe not), but I won't miss him being in Houston.

b0ng
07-31-2011, 08:48 AM
I'm not that big of a fan of the Anderson cut. I think if the choice was JJ or DA I probably would've gone with DA. Better hands, and less of a knucklehead. I can see why they chose JJ because he seems to have the much higher ceiling but he seems to have a problem putting it all together.

Oh well, we'll always have the string dance as an end-zone celebration, which is about the most honky cracker thing I have ever seen during a football game.

dalemurphy
07-31-2011, 09:03 AM
Regardless of whose fault it is, Amobe didn't accomplish much for us, we could've had Revis, and Amobe is better suited for a 4-3.

Maybe he will shine in somebody else's D (or maybe not), but I won't miss him being in Houston.

How bad would David Gibbs and Hoke have screwed up Revis? Now, that's an interesting question to ponder.

dalemurphy
07-31-2011, 09:09 AM

I am thrilled, regardless of who is responsible,for the sudden ability of the organization to assess it's own talent (or lack of).

Barrett and I were talking about this last night... I was assuming the change is a product of fear. Barrett's argument (which I now agree with) is that they've just finally learned and adjusted. As he said, they learn slow but they do learn.

Rey
07-31-2011, 09:44 AM

Because wade has done in one year here what has taken kubiak 5.

BigBull17
07-31-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm not that big of a fan of the Anderson cut. I think if the choice was JJ or DA I probably would've gone with DA. Better hands, and less of a knucklehead. I can see why they chose JJ because he seems to have the much higher ceiling but he seems to have a problem putting it all together.

Oh well, we'll always have the string dance as an end-zone celebration, which is about the most honky cracker thing I have ever seen during a football game.

DA was incapable of gaining separation. JJ has worse hands, but he actually worries an opposing team while on the field. Slow and short is a bad combo in the NFL.

Brisco_County
07-31-2011, 10:52 AM

Keeping Okoye was a higher opportunity cost, and we never believed the FO had the humility to concede their failed investment.

Anderson posed hardly any opportunity cost. He wasn't holding anyone back, or preventing roster acquisitions. Being a fan favorite helped a bit as well.

Because wade has done in one year here what has taken kubiak 5.

Yep. Wade is obviously more valuable to this organization than just a coordinator. Maybe he can help out with challenges and clock management, too.

b0ng
07-31-2011, 10:56 AM
DA was incapable of gaining separation. JJ has worse hands, but he actually worries an opposing team while on the field. Slow and short is a bad combo in the NFL.

DA wasn't entirely incapable and he came down with balls at a higher rate than JJ has I'm sure. I can see why they went the way they did but that doesn't mean that I think it was the best idea.

DocBar
07-31-2011, 11:05 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always got the impression that DA was one of those guys that shines in training camp and practice but had a hard time putting it together on gameday.
I remember reading reports of him catching everything on his zipcode through several training camps.

The Pencil Neck
07-31-2011, 12:24 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always got the impression that DA was one of those guys that shines in training camp and practice but had a hard time putting it together on gameday.
I remember reading reports of him catching everything on his zipcode through several training camps.

Yeah. But. The problem was that DA was making those catches against our defense.

:kitten:

DocBar
07-31-2011, 12:25 PM
Yeah. But. The problem was that DA was making those catches against our defense.

:kitten:HAHAHA!!!! I was thinking the same thing.:ahhaha:

thunderkyss
07-31-2011, 01:17 PM
Wasn't DA at one time the most targeted guy on 3rd down?
Matt's safety blanket?

Norg
07-31-2011, 01:24 PM
Wasn't DA at one time the most targeted guy on 3rd down?
Matt's safety blanket?

No thats Kevin Walter

Lucky
07-31-2011, 03:00 PM
DA wasn't entirely incapable and he came down with balls at a higher rate than JJ has I'm sure. I can see why they went the way they did but that doesn't mean that I think it was the best idea.

Anderson caught 68.6% of his targets (http://www.fftoday.com/stats/players/2680/David_Anderson?LeagueID=1) over his career as a Texan. Not bad, but not unexpected considering the short routes he ran.

Jones caught 65.1% of his targets (http://www.fftoday.com/stats/players/2775/Jacoby_Jones?LeagueID=1) in his 4 seasons. While averaging 2 yards more per catch and 3X the TD receptions than Anderson (9 - 3).

Only in bizarro David Anderson fanboy world is Anderson a better WR than Jones. I haven't looked at Denver's roster, but I will be surprised if he makes it to opening day. In fact, I'll sport a David Anderson avatar for a week, if he does.

TheRealJoker
07-31-2011, 03:10 PM

This isn't about JJ vs DA. It's about DA vs Dorin Dickerson. Dorin has the upside potential to be a heck of a player, whereas DA has maxed out his potential.

We already have two steady consistent WRs on the roster: AJ/KW. JJ and Dickerson are two guys that have potential to be really good WRs for us. We've gotta get Dickerson the opportunity to develop, and DA's snaps will accelerate that process.

BigBull17
08-02-2011, 07:54 PM
This isn't about JJ vs DA. It's about DA vs Dorin Dickerson. Dorin has the upside potential to be a heck of a player, whereas DA has maxed out his potential.

We already have two steady consistent WRs on the roster: AJ/KW. JJ and Dickerson are two guys that have potential to be really good WRs for us. We've gotta get Dickerson the opportunity to develop, and DA's snaps will accelerate that process.

Well put. There just wasn't a roster spot for DA. Especially if some of DA's money helped us get JJ and DM