PDA

View Full Version : Indy signing Dan O. is a problem for the Texans

Brisco_County
07-30-2011, 12:23 PM
A lot of you probably know where I'm going with this, because the memory of Rosenfels allegedly helping the Giants defense shut us down in 2010 still triggers mouth-foaming seizures and anxiety attacks. For those who coped by suppressing the memory, here's a quote from Zierlein back in October of 2010 to bring it all back to the surface.

This morning my radio co-host, John Granato, received a text message that said Sage had confided in a friend here in Houston that he helped with preparation for the Texans and that the Giants coaches were extremely thankful to him after the win.

So the Colts, gaining more than just shadenfreude from that event, learned that it's not a bad idea to recruit people who spent the past three years studying the offensive playbook of your division's most threatening rival. Not that the Colt's don't already have enough film and experience against the Texans, but I believe this to be a major factor in 2011.

gtexan02
07-30-2011, 12:24 PM
Last our gameplan was run Arian foster right at you. Doesn't take an inside source to give that away, the Colts just couldn't stop it.

I think having ex players is overrated

House of Pain
Beat you to it...

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1738315&postcount=28

TexCanada
Meh. Run the ball.

DX-TEX
07-30-2011, 12:30 PM
This is Dan "Runoutofboundsandforgetyourhelmet" Orlovsky were talking about. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

ObsiWan
07-30-2011, 12:32 PM
You're assuming Dan O. actually UNDERSTOOD our offense. You'll have to show me a little compelling evidence to backup that assumption.
:D

Seriously though, as someone else said, there ain't nuttin' he could really teach the Colts about us they didn't know already

Brisco_County
07-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Meh. Run the ball.

Last our gameplan was run Arian foster right at you. Doesn't take an inside source to give that away, the Colts just couldn't stop it.

That's what we tried against the Giants too. Foster was held to 25 yards on 11 carries. Not that Indy could match that, but running the ball may not be a magic solution.

BigBull17
07-30-2011, 12:35 PM
The colts have seen our offense for years now, I doubt he knows more than Peyton or any of those guys. Overrated advantage, IMO.

Brisco_County
07-30-2011, 12:36 PM
You're assuming Dan O. actually UNDERSTOOD our offense. You'll have to show me a little compelling evidence to backup that assumption.

Seriously though, as someone else said, there ain't nuttin' he could really teach the Colts about us they didn't know already

This is what I'm hoping is true. But even the dullest blade in the drawer can eventually understand something complex if they study it for three years.

As to the effectiveness the Colts gameplanning with a former Texans QB, I wouldn't think it a factor if not for that Giants game.

Texas T
That's what we tried against the Giants too. Foster was held to 25 yards on 11 carries. Not that Indy could match that, but running the ball may not be a magic solution.

The difference is that the Giants were able to stop the run, the Colts not so much. Also the first game of the season was a surprise to the Colts, they faired much better in the second game.

I still don't think this is much of a big deal...I would love for Payton to have to sit for some reason and he can't find his helmet for them too.

TexCanada

Indy can't stop the run like the Giants, for one thing. Plus, knowing the playbook won't do anything as long as we mix up our plays and avoid predictability. I could almost see this as an advantage for us since it might lead Kubes to ditch his scripted plays crap and start making real play calls right from the start of the game.

Nawzer
07-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Peyton Manning knows more about our team than Dan O ever did or ever will. I'm not worried about this at all.

DocBar
07-30-2011, 12:50 PM
:spit: The Colts are so desperate to stop our high-powered offense that they signed our recently released buck up QB in an effort to do so?
:toropalm:

Astew10112
07-30-2011, 12:54 PM
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp168/trepp52/dan.jpg

CloakNNNdagger
07-30-2011, 01:00 PM
With Peyton's neck issue, I'm more excited about the possibility of facing Orlovsky than worrying about what Orlovsky will relate to the Colts.

Throw away the scripting, make the O more unpredictable and get a real stretch-the-field #2 WR.............and the Colts will be scratching their asses with Orlovsky's information and flipping coins trying to figure out what the Hell is coming next.

DocBar
07-30-2011, 01:03 PM
With Peyton's neck issue, I'm more excited about the possibility of facing Orlovsky than worrying about what Orlovsky will relate to the Colts.

Throw away the scripting, make the O more unpredictable and get a real stretch-the-field #2 WR.............and the Colts will be scratching their asses with Orlovsky's information and flipping coins trying to figure out what the Hell is coming next.Nice plan, but Kubiak would never, ever do away with his scripting.

Brisco_County
07-30-2011, 01:04 PM
:spit: The Colts are so desperate to stop our high-powered offense that they signed our recently released buck up QB in an effort to do so?
:toropalm:

Where did I say they were desperate? Don't make shit up, please.

I'm saying they will use him to a certain advantage. You know that had to be one of the determining factors in signing Orlovsky over the other choices, because it wasn't his pinpoint accuracy and timing.

pirbroke
Dan-0 says, hey coach I know this play, the QB runs out of endzone to avoid the sack, I used to practice that all the time.:hurrah:

DX-TEX
Nice plan, but Kubiak would never, ever do away with his scripting.

After this offseason there is one irrefutable fact: this is not the Texans of old.

thank god!

BullsOnParade
07-30-2011, 01:06 PM
This is Dan "Runoutofboundsandforgetyourhelmet" Orlovsky were talking about. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

This.

And this.

Peyton Manning knows more about our team than Dan O ever did or ever will. I'm not worried about this at all.

And this!

Brisco_County
07-30-2011, 01:07 PM
After this offseason there is one irrefutable fact: this is not the Texans of old.

thank god!

On defense.

DocBar
07-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Where did I say they were desperate? Don't make shit up, please.

I'm saying they will use him to a certain advantage. You know that had to be one of the determining factors in signing Orlovsky over the other choices, because it wasn't his pinpoint accuracy and timing.Sorry. I forgot to use :sarcasm:
I was completely joking.

DocBar
07-30-2011, 01:11 PM

thank god!True, but Kubes has been more faithful to his scripting than his wife.
:sarcasm:

Corrosion
07-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Probably has more to do with the suckitude that is the Dolts backup QB than anything else .... That offense is Pey_Me_A_Ton and a buncha nuttin.

Brisco_County
07-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Sorry. I forgot to use :sarcasm:
I was completely joking.

My fault, debating online with liberals has left me humorless.

DocBar
07-30-2011, 01:15 PM
My fault, debating online with liberals has left me humorless.I know the feeling.

ObsiWan
07-30-2011, 01:22 PM
EDIT:
nope... not going to do it

Brisco_County
07-30-2011, 01:28 PM
resisting the urge to post a smarta$$ retort to this will probably be the toughest thing I'll have to do all day

Don't resist. This thread has already run its course.

Texecutioner
07-30-2011, 01:29 PM
We're in trouble because Sage is on another team?? Lol!

This is not an issue at all. The Texans got bean by the Giants, because the Giants came out to play and the Texans didn't. End of story.

ObsiWan
07-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Don't resist. This thread has already run its course.
nope...

after four months of nothing of football substance, I feel like I'm drinking from a football fire hose
:hurrah::hurrah::hurrah:
I'm not messing up this nirvana with politics

DX-TEX
07-30-2011, 01:35 PM
nope...

after four months of nothing of football substance, I feel like I'm drinking from a football fire hose
:hurrah::hurrah::hurrah:
I'm not messing up this nirvana with politics

http://www.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/1411537_o.gif

TimeKiller
07-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Dan O is helping them tackle better or helping Peyton grasp the 3/4? I just want to know so I can accurately burn the hell outta Dan O.

CloakNNNdagger
07-30-2011, 01:42 PM
From the IndyStar

"I'm excited about it, for sure. I'm excited about the challenge of going up there and learning about a pretty complex and new offense and having the opportunity to go learn and compete and be a part of a good football team and a good organization."

Orlovsky, 27, is additional insurance for quarterback Peyton Manning, who will miss the start of training camp while recovering from May 23 neck surgery. He joins a group that includes two-year backup Curtis Painter, Nate Davis and rookie Mike Hartline.

Especially when the Colts realize that he is no well of information, he may not make it out of Colts TC.

rush2112mn
07-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Dan O..........(hawaii 5O) dan who? lmfao.....whatever lol yeah....a real problem.....lmfao.....thats a good one.......

Wolf
07-30-2011, 01:52 PM
we will have a different defense than what he has seen :kitten:

Brisco_County
07-30-2011, 01:55 PM
I don't think Dan O. is anywhere near the intelligence of Schaub or Manning, but I don't think he's as dull as people here believe. I see immaturity in him, but not dimness.

Playoffs
07-30-2011, 02:32 PM
Transparent move .... Colts are a buncha shytebags.

Carr Bombed
07-30-2011, 02:47 PM
I don't think Dan O. is anywhere near the intelligence of Schaub or Manning, but I don't think he's as dull as people here believe. I see immaturity in him, but not dimness.

Actually I think it's completely opposite. He's very mature, his football I.Q. just sucks to high heaven.

Believe it or not Sage knew the offense just as well as Schaub. He just was terribly inconsistent and once you rattled him his confidence went into the crapper....he also lacked accuracy.

Dan O is just plain lost. The equivalent of this would be us cutting David Carr and someone signing him and getting a edge on us. It certainly didn't help the Panthers. We play the Colts 2x a year.... they already know more about our offense than Dan O can grasp.

b0ng
07-30-2011, 02:49 PM
From the IndyStar

Especially when the Colts realize that he is no well of information, he may not make it out of Colts TC.

His competition is Curtis Painter. Not exactly a world beater.

The1ApplePie
07-30-2011, 02:52 PM
Maybe he can replace Jim Sorgi as the Manning family's manservant

thunderkyss
07-30-2011, 03:15 PM

I don't think Rosenfels had much to do with the Giants game. We telegraphed our run play with the way we motioned our wide receivers.

I think that fell on Dennison getting his feet wet.

While we do have plays that are staples of our offense, they can youtube all of those plays.

Kubiak makes new shit up as we go.

& if DanO mastered our playbook, Lienart would have been the one looking for a job.

False Start
07-30-2011, 03:19 PM
"I'm excited about it, for sure. I'm excited about the challenge of going up there and learning about a pretty complex and new offense and having the opportunity to go learn and compete and be a part of a good football team and a good organization."'

:ok:

He didn't do worth a shit learning the Texans system what makes him think he can learn this "complex" system in Indy? :kubepalm:

Rey
07-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Indy is a bad place for him.

He Will especially struggle with that offense.

DX-TEX
07-30-2011, 03:27 PM
'

:ok:

He didn't do worth a shit learning the Texans system what makes him think he can learn this "complex" system in Indy? :kubepalm:

Baby steps, thats how.

Step 1: Learn dimensions of playing field. White lines are BAD! Do not cross!
Step 2: Know where your helmet is. You have to wear a "helmet" to play football.
Step 3: Rest of the offense.

thunderkyss
07-30-2011, 03:30 PM

Doesn't make sense to me. With each passing year, the likelihood of Peyton's back up having to actually play get's more & more likely.

I'd have tried to sign Delhomme & teach him to manage a game than signing Orlovsky & teach him to play the game.

Rey
07-30-2011, 03:32 PM
Just heard manning signed 5 yr 90 million.

CloakNNNdagger
07-30-2011, 03:34 PM

Agreed. Not be cause he is dumb necessarily, but because his brain does not coordinate his strong arm to pinpoint accuracy...........which is what the Colts scheme relies on.........not all that much different than the problem he had with the Texans.

Playoffs
07-30-2011, 03:47 PM
He'll be there long enough to help Indy with our signals/reads/tendencies, then he probably gets cut.

Maybe we can rent Sorgi from the Giants for a week or three -- return the favor.

The Pencil Neck
07-30-2011, 03:50 PM
Just heard manning signed 5 yr 90 million.

Talking about it on NFLN right now.

Imatexanfan
07-30-2011, 10:23 PM
They take Dan O we take Joseph Addai...for 2nd string of course...

:kitten:

b0ng
07-30-2011, 10:29 PM
They take Dan O we take Joseph Addai...for 2nd string of course...

:kitten:

Addai re-signed already.

Lucky
07-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Doesn't make sense to me.
None. Orlovsky looks the part. And that's it. What's next? Bringing in David Carr to compete with Orlovsky?

The Colts have been soooo lucky in never needing a backup QB. Peyton always answers the bell. How sweet it would be if the Texans finally were able to see Peyton on the sidelines...with Dan-O behind center.?

Please, please football gods, make this happen.

SteveSlaton20
07-31-2011, 02:53 AM

obviously you didnt watch the second game???

Norg
07-31-2011, 03:07 AM
either way im sure our 1st 15 plays will be some stuff the Colts have never seen before

Im sure Kubes constanly Tweeks His Offensive

Trap_Star
07-31-2011, 03:18 AM
psffffft...he couldn't even execute it properly when given the chance, nothing to worry about. they already know foster up the gut and they still can't do shit about it.

Rey
07-31-2011, 04:19 AM
Colts handled us pretty well at their house and Peyton threw for over 400 in ours. If not for the pollard forced turnover that game could have ended differently. Even with Arian pounding them.

New year new teams. Still, I'm not into talking shit against the colts. They have earned their respect in this division.

I'd love nothing more than to beat the brakes off of then twice this season, but the texans have to walk that walk.

thunderkyss
07-31-2011, 07:19 AM
psffffft...he couldn't even execute it properly when given the chance, nothing to worry about.

Agreed.

I hope they toss everything they've learned about our offense over the last 5 years & build their gameplan solely on the knowledge they gain from DanO.

:fans:

CloakNNNdagger
08-08-2011, 11:58 PM
Poor Colts.

August 8, 2011
Orlovsky here to compete
QB takes aim at Painter’s role

By Rick Teverbaugh The Herald Bulletin

ANDERSON, Ind. — Indianapolis Colts fans may get their first extended look at current No. 2 quarterback Dan Orlovsky on Saturday in St. Louis.

Orlovsky is currently in the No.2 spot behind Curtis Painter while Peyton Manning is on the mend. But that doesn’t mean he’s going to be content to remain in that pecking order.

“My biggest thing is to go out, learn and compete,” said Orlovsky. “I don’t know the exact situation. Obviously Curtis is the backup right now. That’s my assumption, but I am just going to go out and compete. I have been in Curtis’ shoes before, so I know what it is like. I’m going to go play and play well and make it hard on the coaches.”

When asked about Orlovsky competing for the No. 2 spot once Manning returns, head coach Jim Caldwell said, “right now he’s learning, but he’s catching on quite quickly. He’s been around (six years), he’s a seasoned guy, he’s a veteran and a pro. So he’s got an opportunity. As you can see, he’s getting reps and that’s the key. Every time you get in reps, you get evaluated and you’re in competition, which is great.”

Though Caldwell might think Orlovsky is catching on quickly, the Connecticut native might not be as sure.

When asked about the difficulty of learning the system he said, “Yes, it is every bit of what I expected and more. It’s like going out and getting the Rosetta Stone for a really exotic language and trying to learn it. It makes you take a step back and realize how well Peyton runs it and how intelligent he is.”

Obviously by signing as a free agent with Indianapolis, Orlovsky knew the No. 1 spot was taken and he had other options.

“Baltimore, Cleveland, Seattle and San Diego were some of the teams, but just talking about the situation, the opportunity to come here and learn and compete, I thought it was a good situation and my best chance to make it a long career,” said Orlovsky.

Things didn’t work out for Orlovsky with the Houston Texans. But he did set the bar high in the NFL for backup signal callers. Orlovsky, 27, began his career with the Detroit Lions. The Texans signed him to a three-year, $9 million contract when he was a free agent. He backed up Schaub the last two years and didn’t throw a pass because Schaub didn’t miss a down.

“Probably because I didn’t do what they wanted me to do,” said Orlovsky when asked why the Texans cut him loose. “I mean, that’s the reality of it. What I learned there about this position from coach (Gary) Kubiak is irreplaceable. I do think he made me a much better quarterback.”

How much better? The Colts may find out soon.

Allstar
08-09-2011, 12:52 AM
"What I learned there about this position from coach (Gary) Kubiak is irreplaceable. I do think he made me a much better quarterback.”

Pretty classy thing to say, tbh.

The Pencil Neck
08-09-2011, 01:32 AM
This...
He backed up Schaub the last two years and didn’t throw a pass because Schaub didn’t miss a down.

is not accurate.

His first year with the Texans, we also had Rex Grossman. When Schaub went down in the first half, Kubes and Shanny felt better with Grossman -- who hadn't even gone through near the snaps Orlovsky had.

His second year, the Texans felt the need to sign Leinart going into the regular season. Probably because they didn't trust Orlovsky who frankly looked lost during the pre-season.

Just sayin.