PDA

View Full Version : Johnathan Joseph a TEXAN!

Pages : 1 [2]

Lucky
07-28-2011, 11:51 PM
I think Rick, Gary, Wade, and Bob did what had to be done. They had to come up with a #1 CB. It looked like Nnamdi was playing them, so they went with door #2. I just don't want to hear anything about gelling, or learning Wade's system. They have the talent. Just win baby.

I predict KJ will look alot better this season.
He couldn't look worse.
I don't believe Allen is on the team at the moment.

And forgive me cus I know there is a lot of Allen love on this board, but Allen was horrible. Just horrible. My opinion.

I am thinking Quinn and JJo as our starting CB's.
Allen is on the team. He's in the last year of his contract. I'm not suggesting Allen was great. He played on the worst pass defense over the past 5 years. He just wasn't as bad as Jackson or McCain. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the Texans add another vet CB. But, I can see how they have to address other areas first. Allen may be the Texans best option. Who knows, maybe Brandon Harris will be the Texans 2nd best CB by the end of the season?
It's a lot easier covering #3 WR than a #1. :kitten:
But he can't handle a #6 WR.

Signed,
Seyi Ajirotutu

Look, K Jax was in his first year in the NFL and received zero valuable coaching or direction. He was put in a terrrrrible position. Give him a chance to learn the position with GOOD coaching.

Allen was coached by Nick Saban, a defensive genius, and failed in two positions.
Saban also coached Kareem "NFL Ready" Jackson. Maybe Saban is just a little overrated in developing defensive backs.

Anyway, glad that the Texans are no longer wearing a bag over their head in the offseason. Building through the draft is great. If you're great at the draft. If you're so-so, you better hit the free agent market. They did that, so you have to give them a :fans:.

Wolf
07-28-2011, 11:57 PM
His Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Johnathan-Joseph/109317155759317?ref=ts&sk=wall

The Pencil Neck
07-28-2011, 11:59 PM
Looks like McManis is about to change numbers.

El Tejano
07-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Did Joseph come from a 3-4 defense in Cincy? If so, I'm liking this choice more and more. Looks as if he played alot of man coverage there too.

ArlingtonTexan
07-29-2011, 12:14 AM
Did Joseph come from a 3-4 defense in Cincy? If so, I'm liking this choice more and more. Looks as if he played alot of man coverage there too.

During (I think) his time in Cincy they have played both 4-3 and 3-4, but honestly CBs are the least effected position by what the front seven do.

The Pencil Neck
07-29-2011, 12:15 AM

No, he came from a 4-3. But it doesn't make much of a difference for the secondary. The coverage is the coverage.

El Tejano
07-29-2011, 12:16 AM
No, he came from a 4-3. But it doesn't make much of a difference for the secondary. The coverage is the coverage.

He looks to be more of a run supporter too!

AnthonyE
07-29-2011, 12:28 AM
My facebook profile pic.

http://mirrorimg.net/im1/a06.png

Allstar
07-29-2011, 12:29 AM
Allen was coached by Nick Saban, a defensive genius, and failed in two positions.

Is your defense for KJ seriously that Jason Allen was coached by Nick Saban and still sucked? That's Kareem's life story at the moment.

EllisUnit
07-29-2011, 12:30 AM
I think Rick, Gary, Wade, and Bob did what had to be done. They had to come up with a #1 CB. It looked like Nnamdi was playing them, so they went with door #2. I just don't want to hear anything about gelling, or learning Wade's system. They have the talent. Just win baby.

He couldn't look worse.

Allen is on the team. He's in the last year of his contract. I'm not suggesting Allen was great. He played on the worst pass defense over the past 5 years. He just wasn't as bad as Jackson or McCain. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the Texans add another vet CB. But, I can see how they have to address other areas first. Allen may be the Texans best option. Who knows, maybe Brandon Harris will be the Texans 2nd best CB by the end of the season?

But he can't handle a #6 WR.

Signed,
Seyi Ajirotutu

Saban also coached Kareem "NFL Ready" Jackson. Maybe Saban is just a little overrated in developing defensive backs.

Anyway, glad that the Texans are no longer wearing a bag over their head in the offseason. Building through the draft is great. If you're great at the draft. If you're so-so, you better hit the free agent market. They did that, so you have to give them a :fans:.

:fingergun:

HuttoKarl
07-29-2011, 12:35 AM
So are we looking at JJ and KJ at CB and Quin at FS?

dalemurphy
07-29-2011, 12:39 AM
So are we looking at JJ and KJ at CB and Quin at FS?

First of all, Quin is definitely playing safety next to Daniel Manning.

Next, JJ will start one side. There are still a lot of talented CBs available: C.Rogers, Jennings, Eric Wright, CCarr, CHouston, N.Clements. It's possible they go after one of those guys. Otherwise, it could get interesting between the following group:

Jason Allen
Kareem Jackson- Wade has had negative things to say about skill set
Brandon Phillips
Carmichael
McManus.... I'm actually very high on him
Molden... never know how new staff will assess a player like this

Brandon420tx
07-29-2011, 12:49 AM
I think you mean Brandon Harris there cupcake ;)

Dutchrudder
07-29-2011, 12:50 AM
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/GIFs/hangover.gif

CloakNNNdagger
07-29-2011, 12:51 AM
Poor Aso is not going to get as big a payday now with the Texans not in the bidding anymore!:kitten:

AnthonyE
07-29-2011, 12:52 AM
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/GIFs/hangover.gif

Holla! City of Squala!

The Pencil Neck
07-29-2011, 12:52 AM
With JJ on one side and Quin and Manning in the back... I'm taking a long hard look at Harris.

I would not mind a rookie CB in this secondary.

If KJ or JA take the spot, so be it. But as far as I'm concerned, that corner has not been won by anyone at this point.

HuttoKarl
07-29-2011, 12:55 AM

Next, JJ will start one side. There are still a lot of talented CBs available: C.Rogers, Jennings, Eric Wright, CCarr, CHouston, N.Clements. It's possible they go after one of those guys. Otherwise, it could get interesting between the following group:

Jason Allen
Brandon Phillips
Carmichael

I just have a hard time thinking that they'll give up on a first rounder so fast, Wade Phillips or not.

Brandon420tx
07-29-2011, 12:56 AM
With JJ on one side and Quin and Manning in the back... I'm taking a long hard look at Harris.

I would not mind a rookie CB in this secondary.

If KJ or JA take the spot, so be it. But as far as I'm concerned, that corner has not been won by anyone at this point.

I'd agree with you, if this was next year and Quin and Manning looked good in the system. I really feel strongly about Allen getting the Nod just based on pure NFL experiance (and recurring nightmares of last year)

The Pencil Neck
07-29-2011, 12:56 AM
I just have a hard time thinking that they'll give up on a first rounder so fast, Wade Phillips or not.

He's got a lot of competition for the spot. If he can keep it, great. If he can't, that's great, too. Let him mature and learn and he might be great in a couple of years.

Lucky
07-29-2011, 01:01 AM
Jackson was Frank Bush and David Gibbs' guy. Not Wade Phillips and Vance Joseph's guy. Jackson will have to earn his job, this season.

GP
07-29-2011, 01:01 AM
We went after the top Safety in the class... Weddle, while we were going after Aso.

Money is no object to Mr. McNair, regardless what some disenchanted Texans' fans want you to believe.

Slow down, tiger.

He painted himself into this corner, and he got his ass out of it this year.

Let's not forget that the defense was dicked around for how many years?

He grew up this year. He graduated.

dalemurphy
07-29-2011, 01:14 AM
Slow down, tiger.

GP, my argument has been that McNair's seeming frugality the past four years speaks to the circumstances and not his unwillingness to spend. The Texans were in awful cap hell resulting from the careless spending of Casserly... You all know the list: Robaire Smith, Todd Wade, Seth Payne, Gary Walker, etc... The past three years, largely resulting from the CBA changes, have been some of the poorest free agent markets in recent memory. Therefore, as the team removed all the dead money off its books, the free agent market was unappealing. For example, last season Dunta got essentially the same deal Joseph just received. Guys like Kelvin Hayden were getting over $40 million in 2009. In comparison, a very promising CB like Josh Wilson signed a modest $15 million deal.

The Texans made plenty of errors in the off-seasons the past few years... I don't mean to suggest otherwise. However, I just don't think it was a result of McNair's unwillingness to spend money.

thunderkyss
07-29-2011, 01:14 AM

Rex Ryan done gave up on his.

It's actually an investment in the future.

Kyle Wilson & Kareem Jackson may turn into fine corners one day. True #1s even. But we aren't waiting for that. Rex Ryan is thinking Super Bowl.

6-10 not-withstanding, if we sign another true starting CB, how can anyone not put us in the Super Bowl conversation?

If we get Grimes, maybe even Cromartie, we'll get to the AFC Championship game easy.

Ckw
07-29-2011, 01:16 AM
Oh man I am stoked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J-Jo and Manning!!! For the first time perhaps ever, I am thrilled with how the Texans have handled free agency!

Yes, McNair finally graduated.

:fans:

MEGA SWATT
07-29-2011, 01:17 AM
sweet:fans:

TexCanada
07-29-2011, 01:19 AM
You know, one other thing that really makes me happy about this deal, Aso has been SO hyped by everybody that I was starting to worry a bit about the expectations being to high. Everybody thought he was going to make us an instant contender, and it just seems to me that hype like that is rarely lived up to. JJ has high expectations, but nowhere near what Aso had, and I really like that. I think this is a fantastic move and I salute this FO.

Go Texans!

thunderkyss
07-29-2011, 01:19 AM
Slow down, tiger.

That's not on McNair. We've been bumping the cap practically our entire existence.

This is about Rick Smith getting quality for Bob's dollars.

McNair never claimed to be a football guy, much less a General Manager. He's just the money man

TexCanada
07-29-2011, 01:21 AM
Rex Ryan done gave up on his.

It's actually an investment in the future.

Kyle Wilson & Kareem Jackson may turn into fine corners one day. True #1s even. But we aren't waiting for that. Rex Ryan is thinking Super Bowl.

6-10 not-withstanding, if we sign another true starting CB, how can anyone not put us in the Super Bowl conversation?

If we get Grimes, maybe even Cromartie, we'll get to the AFC Championship game easy.

This might be going a touch too far. Easy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6cV1zmqErY

Rey
07-29-2011, 01:41 AM

Jason Allen
Brandon Phillips
Carmichael

I would love to bring in Rogers. Dude can't catch but he can covet his ass off.

If we can still somehow get cromartie id be extremely happy.

I see a lot of people leaving McCain out of the conversation.

He sucked last year and I don't think he's physical or big enough, but he is a good man to man corner. Sucks at zone though. I want to see how he plays under wade.

It would be nice if we could trade one or two corners and sign cromartie though.

But I would not be upset with Rogers at all. He won't break the bank and could provide great vet leadership for the defense.

The young corners would have great ppl to learn their craft from.

Rey
07-29-2011, 01:43 AM
Does Kareem have any trade value?

Probably not but it'd be great if we could trade him.

thunderkyss
07-29-2011, 01:43 AM
I'm not going to say that Joseph is a better corner than Nnamdi, nor do I want any of you to think I preferred Joseph to Nnamdi. I wanted Nnamdi just like the rest of you.

But I just saw the NFLN highlights of Joseph as they announced the move. Joseph is a totally different corner than Nnamdi. In the Joseph highlights, he is covering his man, knocking the ball away or picking it off.

Nnamdi is shutting down the run, tackling the receiver as they catch the ball, or hitting them & preventing them from securing the catch. Nnamdi is what Kareem might be one day in the distant future, he is that type of corner. Brandon Harris is more like Joseph.

ChampionTexan
07-29-2011, 01:45 AM
That's just a misdemeanor. Probably wasn't really his either.

He passes.

Hey - somebody's gonna have to take over the team pot-head role from Amobi!

ChampionTexan
07-29-2011, 01:47 AM
Does Kareem have any trade value?

Probably not but it'd be great if we could trade him.

Nah - I'm no more fond of his rookie season than most, but I want to give him a season to work with the new defensive staff and learn under Joseph before doing something rash.

Rey
07-29-2011, 01:49 AM
I'm not going to say that Joseph is a better corner than Nnamdi, nor do I want any of you to think I preferred Joseph to Nnamdi. I wanted Nnamdi just like the rest of you.

But I just saw the NFLN highlights of Joseph as they announced the move. Joseph is a totally different corner than Nnamdi. In the Joseph highlights, he is covering his man, knocking the ball away or picking it off.

Nnamdi is shutting down the run, tackling the receiver as they catch the ball, or hitting them & preventing them from securing the catch. Nnamdi is what Kareem might be one day in the distant future, he is that type of corner. Brandon Harris is more like Joseph.

I would not be surprised if Joseph ends up being better next year and in the future.

Joseph has what Kareem and other corners we've had don't have : ball skills.

He is great at locating the ball.

Over the past few days I had actual started to prefer Joseph over aso. Aso is a great player but as I was checking out Joseph I saw something special.

If we can generate a pass rush he is going to be golden. Dude is just a really good football player. No real glaring weaknesses in his game.

Fast, athletic, can play man and zone, hard nosed, will come up and make tackles.

He's what dunta wanted to be.

Rey
07-29-2011, 01:53 AM
Nah - I'm no more fond of his rookie season than most, but I want to give him a season to work with the new defensive staff and learn under Joseph before doing something rash.

I do too, I actually think he can be a good corner.

But if we could trade him and get cromartie id be all for it.

Not going to happen and it doesn't matter cuz I'm happy with the guys we have battling it out for the second corner spot.

ChampionTexan
07-29-2011, 01:56 AM
I do too, I actually think he can be a good corner.

But if we could trade him and get cromartie id be all for it.

Not going to happen and it doesn't matter cuz I'm happy with the guys we have battling it out for the second corner spot.

{Post deleted due to lack of reading comprehension}

TheMatrix31
07-29-2011, 02:44 AM
I don't even want to read through the thread.

This is just....beautiful.

Section516
07-29-2011, 07:55 AM
One thing i am somewhat worried about - twelve game missed last two seasons.

HTown2ATX
07-29-2011, 08:32 AM
If he stays healthy, very excited about this. Yes I wanted Nnamdi, but I like how Smithiak made sure we were not left twisting in the wind if we didn't get Nnamdi and then Joseph goes elsewhere. This also left us money for a good safety.

I'm good with it.

ChampionTexan
07-29-2011, 08:46 AM
One thing i am somewhat worried about - twelve game missed last two seasons.

12 games missed last three seasons

2010 - 12 active/12 started (Ankle injury)
2009 - 16 active/16 started
2008 - 8 active/7 started (Foot injury)

2006 & 2007 he was active for 31 out of 32 games (starting 23) missing one game as the result of being suspended for pot.

Section516
07-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Whoops. I stand corrected. Still a good bit.

thunderkyss
07-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Best thing I've seen from the Chronical in a long time.

http://images.chron.com/photos/2009/10/18/27278984/342xSectionMain.jpg

Just the picture, the article (http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/) is crap

b0ng
07-29-2011, 10:28 AM
Best thing I've seen from the Chronical in a long time.

http://images.chron.com/photos/2009/10/18/27278984/342xSectionMain.jpg

Just the picture, the article (http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/) is crap

Is it sad that their best sports writers do it for free?

Dutchrudder
07-29-2011, 10:37 AM
My reaction to the news:

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/GIFs/2003839490.gif

badboy
07-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Lombardi saying money for Asomugha has lowered with Texans out and now Dallas is in race with Jets.

Texecutioner
07-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Now all of a sudden people are trying to question whether Joseph is better than Nnamdi?? Man, this place is amazing at times. Lol!

Ole Miss Texan
07-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Lombardi saying money for Asomugha has lowered with Texans out and now Dallas is in race with Jets.
Hope he goes to an NFC team! Maybe Oakland can offer Cromartie a great deal and then leave the Jets standing around with their thumbs up their butt. J-E-T-S, Suck Suck Suck!:aggressive:

Doppelganger
07-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Hope he goes to an NFC team! Maybe Oakland can offer Cromartie a great deal and then leave the Jets standing around with their thumbs up their butt. J-E-T-S, Suck Suck Suck!:aggressive:

Cromartie and Aso have the same agent. I have to assume that the jets have a tentative offer to Cromartie if Aso goes elsewhere.

b0ng
07-29-2011, 11:09 AM
They'll sign a CB and a safety probably, but will they be big difference makers? Probably not. It will be a typical off season for the Texans.

Not from this particular thread Tex, but are you still believing this? I think you posted it less than 24 hours ago :spin:

dalemurphy
07-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Now all of a sudden people are trying to question whether Joseph is better than Nnamdi?? Man, this place is amazing at times. Lol!

We are signing him for the future, not the past. Joseph is certainly inferior to Nnamdi as a press corner.

However, here are some significant pros (in addition to being less costly):

1. almost 3 years younger
2. proven to be proficient in all coverages: man, press man, and zone coverages
3. appears to have superior ball skills

keyser
07-29-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm glad the Texans ended up getting a top CB. We needed one, and from what I understand JJ is good. I'll say that I'm disappointed that we didn't get Aso (though that disappointment might go away if he has ends up with some outrageously high contract, or be even more disappointed if he ends up with a small one), but it sounds like the front office went all out to do what they could to help us improve. I really hope that JJ is as close to Aso as people are saying (I felt I knew what we'd be getting with Aso, but I don't know much at all about JJ).

As far as this, though:
From Adam Schefter, interesting stats:
Interesting stats... RT @KCJoynerTFS: Joseph has a better 2-yr YPA than Asomugha on nearly 3 times as many targets.
I'm a bit confused - if I read this right, it means that JJ was thrown at 3 times as often as Aso. If so, that's not a good thing. It means that JJ was leaving his receiver open enough that the QB felt the receiver would be a good target. Lower YPA is good, but even better is to not get thrown at at all. If you're giving up 5 YPA (I don't know what JJ was), but getting targeted every down, the other team can just march down the field.

I remember one point where Deion Sanders was getting criticized by some people who didn't know better on some statistical basis - he had too few interceptions or something. But, the thing was, he was hardly ever being thrown at - it was a time when he was really shutting down half the field. A true shutdown corner might have few INTs, and even possibly a not-good-looking YPA.

The1ApplePie
07-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Just saw this (no work today, got to sleep in)

Awesome!:fans:

Not Nnamdi, but he is just entering his prime. Some cap space left too

TexansSeminole
07-29-2011, 11:24 AM

Yea, in college. Is there a difference between receiving good coaching while playing in the NFL and receiving good coaching while playing in college? Hell yes. There is a huge difference. Is Saban supposed to have developed K Jax to his maximum potential in college? No, that is never the case, players need to continue to receive good coaching and direction.

Saban tried to work with Allen at two positions. He sucked at both.

And to everyone that says Allen was let go by Miami bc he failed at safety have zero critical thinking skills. Nobody gets cut cause they can play corner but suck at safety. No team is dumb enough to say, "we need a safety but this kid is only good at corner. In fact he is real good at corner. Too bad he can't play safety, he has no value to us." That's crazy talk.

I'll bet anyone 50 bucks that K Jax plays much better than Allen at corner next year. Much better.

Joe Texan
07-29-2011, 11:24 AM
All I can say is this is why I dig the way the Texans do it while you yahoos sit on the couch and watch with me. We are building a champion and that takes time

ThaShark316
07-29-2011, 11:27 AM
As far as this, though:

I'm a bit confused - if I read this right, it means that JJ was thrown at 3 times as often as Aso. If so, that's not a good thing. It means that JJ was leaving his receiver open enough that the QB felt the receiver would be a good target. Lower YPA is good, but even better is to not get thrown at at all. If you're giving up 5 YPA (I don't know what JJ was), but getting targeted every down, the other team can just march down the field.

I remember one point where Deion Sanders was getting criticized by some people who didn't know better on some statistical basis - he had too few interceptions or something. But, the thing was, he was hardly ever being thrown at - it was a time when he was really shutting down half the field. A true shutdown corner might have few INTs, and even possibly a not-good-looking YPA.

It was either throw at him, or Leon Hall. Either way, it was bad. So teams chose JJ.

Texecutioner
07-29-2011, 11:27 AM
We are signing him for the future, not the past. Joseph is certainly inferior to Nnamdi as a press corner.

However, here are some significant pros (in addition to being less costly):

1. almost 3 years younger
2. proven to be proficient in all coverages: man, press man, and zone coverages
3. appears to have superior ball skills

That doesn't make him a better signing than Nnamdi would have been. You can try to rationalize it in all these little forced positive ways all you want, but Nnamdi is most likely a HOF CB. HE shuts down elite guys like AJ even without a good pass rush to help him. The guy is incredible. Joseph was a good signing and I'm happy about it, but stop kidding yourself.

Texecutioner
07-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Not from this particular thread Tex, but are you still believing this? I think you posted it less than 24 hours ago :spin:

I like these signings. This is the best off season I've seen from the Smithiak era. I'm surprised they got Joseph and Manning that quickly together.

b0ng
07-29-2011, 11:31 AM
I like these signings. This is the best off season I've seen from the Smithiak era. I'm surprised they got Joseph and Manning that quickly together.

How pumped were we as a fanbase when we dumped Carr for Schaub?

Wolf
07-29-2011, 11:35 AM
SPN's Adam Schefter reported early Thursday evening that the Texans reached a contract agreement with free agent cornerback Johnathan Joseph, formerly of the Bengals.

Mark Berman of Fox 26 Sports in Houston followed up with a report that Joseph received a five year deal worth $48.75 million, including $23.5 guaranteed and a $12.5 million signing bonus.

Joseph was considered by many to be next in line after Nnamdi Asomugha on the most desired free agent corner list.

The signing of Joseph (age 27), presumably at a lower price than what the 30 year old Asomugha would have cost the Texans, should free up space for the team to sign a free agent safety which remains a need in Wade Phillips' 3-4 defense revitalization project in Houston.

Before everyone freaks out because the Texans didn't break the bank on 'the' name guy, consider this:

Joseph has a better yards per pass attempt defended average than Asomugha over the past two years on nearly 3 times as many targets. (KC Joyner - TheFootballScientist.com)

And just two short years ago, James Walker writing for ESPN, said that Joseph and Leon Hall were among the best cornerback duos in the league.

Joseph doesn't come without risk. He's been bothered by foot and ankle injuries during two of the past three seasons missing eight games in 2008 and four games in 2010.

An interesting coincidence is that Joseph attended college at South Carolina, as did Dunta Robinson. Joseph's agent is Jason Chayut, who also happens to represent Robinson.

One big difference between Joseph and Robinson, however, is that Joseph won't have to write 'Pay me Rick' on his shoes as Joseph got the guaranteed money that Robinson reportedly turned down.

Also worth a read >>>: "It's time for the Texans and Robinson to kiss and make up," This is that article that, much to my surprise, prompted Joseph and Robinson's agent to contact me.

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/texans-get-their-corner

Thorn
07-29-2011, 11:39 AM
It about two weeks we'll find out what's what. Until then, it's just speculation as usual. And even that first pre-season game won't really tell us much, other than what the team looks like after a small amout of practice.

And like the kid that keeps getting his candy taken away I'm not jumping on any bandwagons yet. I'm just hopeful that someday I'll get that candy.

False Start
07-29-2011, 11:43 AM
The Texan haters are out in full force today on the radio, knocking the JJ signing. They are of course knocking the Texans for being cheap for not signing Nnamdi. Some people are never satisfied. :slap:

HuttoKarl
07-29-2011, 11:46 AM

I was pumped...started the Matt Schaub Man-Love Club. :thisbig:

Wolf
07-29-2011, 11:50 AM
The Texan haters are out in full force today on the radio, knocking the JJ signing. They are of course knocking the Texans for being cheap for not signing Nnamdi. Some people are never satisfied. :slap:

madden players I take it

ThaShark316
07-29-2011, 11:51 AM

But I got rail roaded for saying this fan base sucks ass. A lot of people in this city are critical as hell for no reason.

ChampionTexan
07-29-2011, 11:56 AM
But I got rail roaded for saying this fan base sucks ass. A lot of people in this city are critical as hell for no reason.

Stupidity is a horrible thing.

b0ng
07-29-2011, 11:58 AM

Houston sports: Catch The Fever.

DX-TEX
07-29-2011, 12:00 PM

Fans in this town are just not really knowledgeable. Remember this is thr group that still wants to replace Schaub with Young.

Brandon420tx
07-29-2011, 12:02 PM
3 time the targets Nnamdi gets is like what ... 90? ... 120? Schaub had some games where he threw 50 times

Mr. White
07-29-2011, 12:04 PM

Maybe you should clarify "sucks ass," because you've been saying it since last season.

What does it mean? How do you define "sucks ass?"

What's your frame of reference? How do you know that our fan base sucks ass anymore than any other fan base?

Is there an "Ass Suck Meter?"

Dash
07-29-2011, 12:08 PM
@PaulGrecoRadio
Hearing #Texans once again making strong push for Nnamdi Asomugha but also hear #Cowboys are too. #Jets were you at?

@PaulGrecoRadio After getting JJ and D manning, Texans still in it for Asomugha?

@KeenanHunt2 crazy right? But my contact in #Texan camp says yes

@eric4ramirez still have between 9-12Mil left

Wait what?

DX-TEX
07-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Wait what?

Gotta be his agent spreading this. No way in hell we have the money.

Dash
07-29-2011, 12:11 PM

He said its per his contact in the Texans camp.

Wolf
07-29-2011, 12:11 PM

he is going to be a jet so his agent knows he needs to get the most money and it his his last big contract .. no way houston has the money for it

Wolf
07-29-2011, 12:13 PM
www.nfl.com
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/n_asomugha_dal_110728_CP.jpg

they need the ratings so hush hush till the end
:kitten:

Mr. White
07-29-2011, 12:17 PM
he is going to be a jet so his agent knows he needs to get the most money and it his his last big contract .. no way houston has the money for it

Yup. This defies all common sense.

Not to mention, we're still talking about Bob McNair and Rick Smith. Their heads were probably about to explode with the Manning signing....they're not used to making this much of an impact in free agency.

The Pencil Neck
07-29-2011, 12:18 PM
He said its per his contact in the Texans camp.

I'd prefer they take that money and spend it on NTs and ILBs.

Mebane, Franklin, and Barnett.

DX-TEX
07-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Who is this Greco guy? Considered legit? Accurate? Batshit insane?

rush2112mn
07-29-2011, 12:23 PM
KickASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Hats off to Rick Smith and Company......great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so freakin happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was getting worried we were not going to get someone....we got Joseph and with money to spare for a safety in Manning......

Mr. White
07-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Who is this Greco guy? Considered legit? Accurate? Batshit insane?

I'd listen to Al Del Greco before I listen to this guy.

Ole Miss Texan
07-29-2011, 12:25 PM
LOL I can't see us still going after Nnamdi. But just for fun I'll entertain the thought. We would just go from the league's WORST secondary to the league's BEST. Haha, that's one way to improve. jeez

Texecutioner
07-29-2011, 12:25 PM

Well I'm just glad that they actually signed two guys that they needed. Still wanted Nnamdi though. THe thing is when you don't get a guy like that you've got to consider where he might land and right now it looks like he'll be landing in NY where the Texans will have to go through those guys if they make it to the post season. If the get Nnamdi I don't see how throws on the Jets unless they're hitting the TE in the middle. I still want to see Rick Smith have more than one off season where he upgrades the team in free agency though. I don't want him to feel like he has signed these guys now so he can chill for a few years, you know what I mean?

gary
07-29-2011, 12:28 PM
I want Asomugh to sign already this is very much LeBron James like and driving me crazy.

Mr. White
07-29-2011, 12:30 PM
I want Asomugh to sign already this is very much LeBron James like and driving me crazy.

I think it'll be something like that. I bet there will be some kind of announcement made tonight on NFLN.

DX-TEX
07-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Well I'm just glad that they actually signed two guys that they needed. Still wanted Nnamdi though. THe thing is when you don't get a guy like that you've got to consider where he might land and right now it looks like he'll be landing in NY where the Texans will have to go through those guys if they make it to the post season. If the get Nnamdi I don't see how throws on the Jets unless they're hitting the TE in the middle. I still want to see Rick Smith have more than one off season where he upgrades the team in free agency though. I don't want him to feel like he has signed these guys now so he can chill for a few years, you know what I mean?

Easily solved. Run right at them and dink-n-dunk em in the middle of the field.

Ole Miss Texan
07-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Alright so I just did some quick statistical work regarding Johnathan Joseph and his partner over in Cincy, Leon Hall. Looking at both of them I think helps put things a little in perspective. Stats from nfl.com and this place (http://www.bucstop.com/2011-articles/july/statistical-analysis-yards-per-target.html).

Joseph allowed 42 completions on 64 targets (66% completion rate).
Hall allowed 44 completions on 74 targets (59% completion rate).

Joseph's completions allowed represented 13.0% of the Bengals total allowed completions. His targets represented 12.5% of the QBs' total pass attempts.

Hall's completions allowed represented 13.6% of the Bengals total allowed completions. His targets represented 14.5% of the opposing QBs' total pass attempts.

Joseph gave up 436 yards or 10.4 yards per catch: 12.1% of total passing yards allowed.
Hall gave up 579 yards or 13.2 yards per catch: 16.1% of total passing yards allowed.

Bengals allowed 20 passing TDs of which 3 were attributed to Joseph and 5 for Hall.

Joseph had 3 INTs with 1 returned for a TD; Hall had 4 INTs.

Teams attempted roughly 511 passes (61%) against the Bengals as compared to 330 rushes (39%).

Not sure you can read TOO much into this without looking around the league for comparisons.

Texecutioner
07-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Easily solved. Run right at them and dink-n-dunk em in the middle of the field.

That isn't an easy solve against a top defense in the NFL. It can happen, but to call it easy isn't realistic.

gary
07-29-2011, 12:35 PM
I think it'll be something like that. I bet there will be some kind of announcement made tonight on NFLN.Asomugh is now a Houston Texan.:fans:

fiasco west
07-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Alright so I just did some quick statistical work regarding Johnathan Joseph and his partner over in Cincy, Leon Hall. Looking at both of them I think helps put things a little in perspective. Stats from nfl.com and this place (http://www.bucstop.com/2011-articles/july/statistical-analysis-yards-per-target.html).

Joseph allowed 42 completions on 64 targets (66% completion rate).
Hall allowed 44 completions on 74 targets (59% completion rate).

Joseph's completions allowed represented 13.0% of the Bengals total allowed completions. His targets represented 12.5% of the QBs' total pass attempts.

Hall's completions allowed represented 13.6% of the Bengals total allowed completions. His targets represented 14.5% of the opposing QBs' total pass attempts.

Joseph gave up 436 yards or 10.4 yards per catch: 12.1% of total passing yards allowed.
Hall gave up 579 yards or 13.2 yards per catch: 16.1% of total passing yards allowed.

Bengals allowed 20 passing TDs of which 3 were attributed to Joseph and 5 for Hall.

Joseph had 3 INTs with 1 returned for a TD; Hall had 4 INTs.

Teams attempted roughly 511 passes (61%) against the Bengals as compared to 330 rushes (39%).

Not sure you can read TOO much into this without looking around the league for comparisons.

Would be interesting to see these numbers for the Texans CBs last year. Could see how much of an improvement was made.

Grams
07-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Asomugh is now a Houston Texan.:fans:

Don't do this to me.

El Tejano
07-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Asomugh is now a Houston Texan.:fans:

Wait, what? Dude you better not be joking.

Second Honeymoon
07-29-2011, 12:40 PM
They can't get Joseph and Aso without severely hamstringing subsequent moves. As far as how it would effect Mario, I want us to franchise him next year and then let him walk unless he blows us all away with his play this year.

Proud of Rick for knowing when to cash his chips in. A bird in hand is better than two in the bush. Getting Manning gives us an experienced player in the secondary who can help in KR game and prevent us from putting Nolan on the field.

gary
07-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Wait, what? Dude you better not be joking.I am.

El Tejano
07-29-2011, 12:43 PM
What made the Joseph signing great was how it allowed us to even get Manning too. One of the major reasons our secondary sucked was because of a very young set of DBs and horrible safety play. We got a good vet for a CB and better safety play yesterday.

El Tejano
I am.

Why would you do that bro!?

skenney_11
I think that the Texans have kept back 12-14 Mil for Aso. Maybe thats why McClain has said all along that they didn't have much cap room because it was kept for Aso

Shaft75
07-29-2011, 12:44 PM
They can't get Joseph and Aso without severely hamstringing subsequent moves. As far as how it would effect Mario, I want us to franchise him next year and then let him walk unless he blows us all away with his play this year.

Proud of Rick for knowing when to cash his chips in. A bird in hand is better than two in the bush. Getting Manning gives us an experienced player in the secondary who can help in KR game and prevent us from putting Nolan on the field.

:wow: Positive response about Smith from SH. The tides are definitely turning!

Ole Miss Texan
07-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Would be interesting to see these numbers for the Texans CBs last year. Could see how much of an improvement was made.

Agreed. If I get some time this afternoon I'll take a look at that.

gary
07-29-2011, 12:48 PM
Why would you do that bro!?I am just saying that could still be on NFLN later.

76Texan
07-29-2011, 12:48 PM
I am.

Why Gary, I ought to :bat:

ThaJokaa
07-29-2011, 12:49 PM
I think that the Texans have kept back 12-14 Mil for Aso. Maybe thats why McClain has said all along that they didn't have much cap room because it was kept for Aso

I was told this yesterday also...

DBCooper
07-29-2011, 12:50 PM

The thing is, we got two high quality guys instead of one.

We took care of our own business, let Rex take care of his.

Big Smooth
07-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Long time reader here and i finally decided to join the boards. loving the moves the team has made so far

jaayteetx
07-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Long time reader here and i finally decided to join the boards. loving the moves the team has made so far

Welcome

False Start
07-29-2011, 12:54 PM

Welcome aboard....:evil:

gary
07-29-2011, 12:55 PM
I'll see some of you when I come to visit you in your hospital room over at St. Luke's because your heart rate is up and you are short of breath.

Errant Hothy
07-29-2011, 12:55 PM

Welcome.

76Texan
07-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Welcome

ditto!

76Texan
07-29-2011, 12:58 PM
I'll see some of you when I come to visit you in your hospital room over at St. Luke's because your heart rate is up and you are short of breath.

No, you might have to visit me in jail for running naked on the street cheering the false news you just spread!

I missed those big machine guns smiles! LOL!

HTown2ATX
07-29-2011, 01:18 PM
I am.

:kubepalm: Gary!

HTown2ATX
07-29-2011, 01:20 PM

Welcome aboard dude :jam:

Yeah, the moves have been good IMO and hey, you must be glad that Ed Warder isn't polluting your state on Favre watch this year so everyone wins!!!

Texas T
07-29-2011, 01:27 PM

Welcome to the party!! and it is a PARTY right now!!

TimeKiller
07-29-2011, 01:28 PM

NO BS....I was delivering to a big company here in Houston, asked a guard while checking in if he was going to be watching MNF with the Texans (forgot who it was against....perhaps it was ThursdayNF) you know, small talk to keep the shit movin....

DUDE FLIPPED.

I can't even fathom the amount of f-bombs this guy dropped. I think he averaged about 5 or 6 per breath. Soooooo not a Texans fan? Cool. But you don't need to curse me out about it when I'm clearly just trying to be friendly.

HTown2ATX
07-29-2011, 01:30 PM
NO BS....I was delivering to a big company here in Houston, asked a guard while checking in if he was going to be watching MNF with the Texans (forgot who it was against....perhaps it was ThursdayNF) you know, small talk to keep the shit movin....

DUDE FLIPPED.

I can't even fathom the amount of f-bombs this guy dropped. I think he averaged about 5 or 6 per breath. Soooooo not a Texans fan? Cool. But you don't need to curse me out about it when I'm clearly just trying to be friendly.

Homeboy just had some sand in the old vag.....it happens :kubepalm:

Big Smooth
07-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Welcome aboard dude :jam:

Yeah, the moves have been good IMO and hey, you must be glad that Ed Warder isn't polluting your state on Favre watch this year so everyone wins!!!

yes indeed :woot:

thunderkyss
07-29-2011, 02:54 PM
That doesn't make him a better signing than Nnamdi would have been. You can try to rationalize it in all these little forced positive ways all you want, but Nnamdi is most likely a HOF CB. HE shuts down elite guys like AJ even without a good pass rush to help him. The guy is incredible. Joseph was a good signing and I'm happy about it, but stop kidding yourself.

Most of us are happy with the way it went down. We went after Aso, he hem-hawed.. we didn't wait & went on with plan B.

To think signing Jonathan Joseph is a drastically inferior to Asomugha... that's ridiculous.

He didn't want to come to Houston.. we're not worthy, we get that. No reason to stew in it though.

TheMatrix31
07-29-2011, 02:59 PM
I love that we stood our ground with Nnamdi and said "Look bro, this is it. You can either come or don't come. We're not gonna wait around for your ass. Don't wanna come? Fine, clock's tickin', thanks for your time bud"....then got the second best CB instead and another player.

Nawzer
07-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Is there going to be a press conference sometime today? I want to hear from Rick Smith, Kubiak, and Wade talk about this whole process of waiting for Nnamdi and then signing Joseph.

MFG16
07-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Did ESPN not get the memo that we signed J-Jo? I'm not expecting Miami Heat coverage, but damn not even a toward the end of the show 30 second spot? NFLN too?

The Pencil Neck
07-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Did ESPN not get the memo that we signed J-Jo? I'm not expecting Miami Heat coverage, but damn not even a toward the end of the show 30 second spot? NFLN too?

Yeah, it's kinda irritating.

They were talking about us when we were in the Nnamdi sweepstakes but we made the move for JJoe and Manning and... poof. Nothing.

All the talk is VY, Kolb, and Aso.

I have to admit, I expected them to be at least kinda excited about the moves.

DX-TEX
07-29-2011, 03:03 PM

But ESPN has an article on their front page about Brett Favre!

MFG16
07-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Yeah, it's kinda irritating.

They were talking about us when we were in the Nnamdi sweepstakes but we made the move for JJoe and Manning and... poof. Nothing.

All the talk is VY, Kolb, and Aso.

I have to admit, I expected them to be at least kinda excited about the moves.

Don't forget Matt Moore. Moore getting more coverage than J-Jo, sad.

Errant Hothy
07-29-2011, 03:13 PM

Who reallly cares what the national media is doing. Follow the local guys and get the info you need.

Do you relly want to hear Jaime Dukes talk about the Texans?

DX-TEX
07-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Win the damn division by 5 games with a top 5 defense and they will notice.

DX-TEX
07-29-2011, 03:19 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/29/bengals-apparently-planned-to-have-johnathan-joseph-in-camp/#comments

Though the Cincinnati Bengals lost cornerback Johnathan Joseph to the Texans, it looks like the Bengals possibly tried to keep him. Or, at a minimum, whoever makes the training-camp accommodations arrangements assumed they would.

In a reel of 31 training camp photos posted at the WLWT website, photo No. 11 shows a sheet of paper attached to the door of apartment 214, welcoming the four players who’ll be staying there: Brian Lainhart, Chris Crocker, Leon Hall.

And Johnathan Joseph.

Sure, someone may have simply gotten their wires crossed. But Joseph doesn’t get a lodging assignment for training camp unless someone put him on a list of players who would be there. So someone thought he would be there.

The easy explanation? It’s the Bengals.

CloakNNNdagger
07-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Sort of brought a smile to my face.

Even with his injuries last year, Joseph led the secondary in tackles during multiple games. Helped limit Peyton Manning to a season-low 185 yards passing and no touchdown passes. Two tackles against the Colts were on third down that stopped the offense's possession. Two interceptions (one returned for a touchdown) and three tackles against the Bills, leaving in the second quarter with an injury. And during Cincinnati's unlikely win over the San Diego Chargers, Joseph knocked down two passes and posted six tackles.link (http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/7/11/2270515/does-johnathan-josephs-value-fall-due-to-his-injury-history)

TheMatrix31
07-29-2011, 04:20 PM
It'd be great if this guy can return a TD or two. Forcing turnovers (and capitalizing on them) has been a huge issue for us.

Rey
07-29-2011, 04:33 PM
It'd be great if this guy can return a TD or two. Forcing turnovers (and capitalizing on them) has been a huge issue for us.

I think he has a td in almost every season so that sounds reasonable.

srrono
07-29-2011, 09:48 PM
intresting post in a colts forum

I'd say the Texans are still pursuing Nnambi... Either way this isn't exactly good for us. They may have an off year getting their new defense in place (I don't think it's going to be as tough for them to do as a lot of people say) but Joseph has always seemed to make good reads on Peyton.

http://www.colts.com/forums/index.php?/topic/339-texans-agetjonathan-joseph/

JCTexan
07-30-2011, 12:18 AM
Loved reading this from the Bengals defensive coordinator:

Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer expressed extreme frustration that the team let CB Johnathan Joseph leave for Houston.
"I was pretty much told we were going to get him back," said Zimmer. "I’m upset, disappointed, frustrated. It’s disappointing. You get good guys off the field, they work hard in the weight room and on the practice field. And you kind of mold them what you want them to look like and they get out of here."

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3693/johnathan-joseph

Lucky
07-30-2011, 12:35 AM
Loved reading this from the Bengals defensive coordinator:
I feel bad for Mike Zimmer. He's trying to build a defense, and Mike Brown pulls the rug from under him. There's no reason the Bengals shouldn't have re-signed Joseph. They had the cap room. Hell, they'll have trouble getting to the cap floor. I would be livid if I were a Bengal fan. Though I'd probably been used to it by now.

76Texan
07-30-2011, 12:55 AM
Most of us are happy with the way it went down. We went after Aso, he hem-hawed.. we didn't wait & went on with plan B.

To think signing Jonathan Joseph is a drastically inferior to Asomugha... that's ridiculous.

He didn't want to come to Houston.. we're not worthy, we get that. No reason to stew in it though.

Just to refer to Tex's post:

NO, Aso never shut down AJ by himself, not even by a long shot!

I also watched the vid Matt Thomas (?) put up (a few INTs from 06) in a claim that Aso shut down half the field by himself (He did make the claim on radio).

Except he forgot that there was a safety lurking or there was a certain situation. I definitely will not use the vid to claim that a CB shut down an entire half of the field.

Tell me what you think:
http://www.sports790.com/pages/mattthomas.html

You will need to scroll down to the vid.

No hard feeling, Matt!

Rey
07-30-2011, 01:14 AM
Aso had trouble stopping Kevin Walter last year.

But every corner gets beat.

Corrosion
07-30-2011, 05:00 AM
Aso had trouble stopping Kevin Walter last year.

But every corner gets beat.

I think that says a lot about how precise Walter runs his routes than anything else ..... A perfectled executed route and pass combination will beat coverage damn near every time. Sloppy routes and inaccurate passes end up as incompletions or turnovers.

Not to hijack the thread - But I was watching some Chad 85 highlights earlier today ..... Teams routinely double him yet he is still very productive mainly due to the precision of his routes ... I think the guy does damn well in NE with Brady , might have a career year.

BigBull17
07-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Aso got the rep and then NOBODY tested him. I get aguy is good, but you can't let a single CB intimidate you.

TexansBull
07-30-2011, 10:08 AM
I don't know if this has been asked yet, but how does JJo's contract compare to Dunta's?

Thanks in advance.

gtexan02
07-30-2011, 10:22 AM
I don't know if this has been asked yet, but how does JJo's contract compare to Dunta's?

Thanks in advance.

Drob = 6 years 57 mil 25.5 guaranteed
Jj = 5 years 49 mil 23.5 guaranteed

TexansBull
07-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Drob = 6 years 57 mil 25.5 guaranteed
Jj = 5 years 49 mil 23.5 guaranteed

I don't know how guaranteed money counts when averaging the annual average salary, but it looks like we are paying the same amount for a better and younger corner.

The only thing that will always stand out in my mind was when it was dunta's last year, 2009 I believe, the Texans were wearing battle red uni's for Monday night football, it was in the last minutes of the game and the defense had to hold vince young to win the game, vince threw the ball downfield and hit dunta between the numbers and dunta didn't come down with it. And then Kris Brown misses the field goal. And yes, I was on the side of the stadium that started cheering because from our angle it looked liked Kris made it. That was a bad year.

It looks like our luck is changing.

DocBar
07-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Joseph (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/30/joseph-says-bengals-made-competitive-offer-but-move-was-no-brainer/) talks about choosing the Texans.

drs23
07-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Does JJoe play a particular side or stay in the #1 reciever's pocket?

beerlover
07-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Joseph (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/30/joseph-says-bengals-made-competitive-offer-but-move-was-no-brainer/) talks about choosing the Texans.

I'm really liking his response, he feels the Texans are a team on the rise with the right pieces on the back end! It's not just about the money. :specnatz:

DocBar
07-30-2011, 11:37 AM
I'm really liking his response, he feels the Texans are a team on the rise with the right pieces on the back end! It's not just about the money. :specnatz:I agree...I got all misty-eyed reading about a highly regarded FA who chose to play in Houston so he could be part of what we're doing here.

Errant Hothy
07-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Does JJoe play a particular side or stay in the #1 reciever's pocket?

Unlike Aso who only plays one side, Joseph aye both. Now was he asked to cover the opposing #1, I don't know.

Allstar
07-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Unlike Aso who only plays one side, Joseph aye both. Now was he asked to cover the opposing #1, I don't know.

That's all based on the scheme, not the player. You can't fault Aso or anyone for following what their coaches tell them to do.

From what I've read on the Bengals' forum, they are really worried that Leon Hall now has to cover #1 receivers because he doesn't have the speed that Joseph does. SO based on that observation, I'm assuming JJo did in fact follow 1s across the field.

Doppelganger
07-30-2011, 01:44 PM
That's all based on the scheme, not the player. You can't fault Aso or anyone for following what their coaches tell them to do.

From what I've read on the Bengals' forum, they are really worried that Leon Hall now has to cover #1 receivers because he doesn't have the speed that Joseph does. SO based on that observation, I'm assuming JJo did in fact follow 1s across the field.

Yes. Last year Joseph covered the opposing team's #1 receiver in man coverage. Hall tended to play the #2 in zone coverage, since his lack of speed is well documented. Bengals fans are terrified becuase if he is asked to play the #1 receiver in man, he will have to give them a cushion as opposed to Joseph who was quick enough to play bump and run.

thunderkyss
07-30-2011, 02:10 PM
Aso got the rep and then NOBODY tested him. I get aguy is good, but you can't let a single CB intimidate you.

QBs generally don't mind testing you if the worst that's going to happen is an incomplete pass. & that's the worst that is going to happen if you throw it his way.

QBs were scurred to throw at Deon, because he was a threat to intercept it & take it to the house.

If QBs weren't throwing to Aso, it was most likely because the other CB was a joke... see Petey Faggins. It wasn't that Dunta scared them so much as the other side of the field was a QBs wet dream.

DocBar
07-30-2011, 02:11 PM
QBs generally don't mind testing you if the worst that's going to happen is an incomplete pass. & that's the worst that is going to happen if you throw it his way.

QBs were scurred to throw at Deon, because he was a threat to intercept it & take it to the house.

If QBs weren't throwing to Aso, it was most likely because the other CB was a joke... see Petey Faggins. It wasn't that Dunta scared them so much as the other side of the field was a QBs wet dream.must spread rep

CloakNNNdagger
07-30-2011, 02:23 PM
must spread rep

Got it for you.........the Petey example was absolutely priceless!

b0ng
07-30-2011, 02:32 PM

If QBs weren't throwing to Aso, it was most likely because the other CB was a joke... see Petey Faggins. It wasn't that Dunta scared them so much as the other side of the field was a QBs wet dream.

Stanford Routt is actually not a bad cornerback either. Aso can intercept passes just fine, it's just that his coverage is so good QB's know that if they throw towards that guy he has a good chance of being in such great position that he can catch it. Deion constantly baited QB's into throwing his way because he was able to play so far off his man, and have the make-up speed to be able to grab the ball and take it back 80 yards (dancing for 40 of them).

The fact is also that Aso plays like a lead blanket all over whoever his man is and generally when QB's watch film and that's what the guy does every single snap, they generally try to test other pieces of the defense. Don't try to kid yourself into thinking that Joseph is the superior corner because he is not.

That's nothing against Joseph though as he is still very very good.

infantrycak
07-30-2011, 02:33 PM

To follow up. Deion is a hall of famer because of more than that. QB's were so scared of him that they stopped throwing at him. Then he started baiting them by laying off WR's just to get them to throw his way. Then he would intercept. He had the best closing speed I have ever seen. Would look totally out of coverage and then all the sudden he is making an INT while accelerating up field. Never seen another DB like him.

thunderkyss
07-30-2011, 02:34 PM
I'm really liking his response, he feels the Texans are a team on the rise with the right pieces on the back end! It's not just about the money. :specnatz:

So we're not just delusional?

Other people around the league sees the same thing we see?

“Myself as a player, I always like to follow other teams around the league and see what they have going on in their situations as well,” Joseph said. “This was my chance at free agency and once I looked and explored around the league, I’d seen the Houston Texans had almost every piece to the puzzle, as far as offense and defense. They were just missing a couple of pieces in the back end, with the youth back there. To add a couple of veteran players, I think that was the first thing that lured me this way because if you put the pieces to the puzzle and they become the right puzzle, I think the sky is the limit. They could be contenders for years, and I think that’s what we bring.”

I like how he is already saying "we"

& I like the hat.
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/josephap.jpg?w=250

b0ng
07-30-2011, 02:36 PM
To follow up. Deion is a hall of famer because of more than that. QB's were so scared of him that they stopped throwing at him. Then he started baiting them by laying off WR's just to get them to throw his way. Then he would intercept. He had the best closing speed I have ever seen. Would look totally out of coverage and then all the sudden he is making an INT while accelerating up field. Never seen another DB like him.

Remember when Deion and Rice were on the same team? Like that was fair :mad:

DX-TEX
07-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Remember when Deion and Rice were on the same team? Like that was fair :mad:

Johnson and Joseph?

b0ng
07-30-2011, 02:42 PM
Johnson and Joseph?

The '94 9'ers was probably one of the greatest football teams ever assembled just fyi.

thunderkyss
07-30-2011, 02:42 PM
Stanford Routt is actually not a bad cornerback either. Aso can intercept passes just fine, it's just that his coverage is so good QB's know that if they throw towards that guy he has a good chance of being in such great position that he can catch it.

The fact is also that Aso plays like a lead blanket all over whoever his man is and generally when QB's watch film and that's what the guy does every single snap, they generally try to test other pieces of the defense. Don't try to kid yourself into thinking that Joseph is the superior corner because he is not.

That's nothing against Joseph though as he is still very very good.

Don't try to kid yourself into thinking I said something I didn't. I have no problem ranking Nnamdi above Joseph.

& while I appreciate Asomugha's abilities, I wouldn't call him a blanket.

b0ng
07-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Don't try to kid yourself into thinking I said something I didn't. I have no problem ranking Nnamdi above Joseph.

& while I appreciate Asomugha's abilities, I wouldn't call him a blanket.

That's kind of his game though, all size and power and good positioning. Deion had all the speed in the world to keep up with his man and when QB's just said forget it, he'd have to lay off.

Aso doesn't have nearly the speed to be able to play off like Deion was able to, and he doesn't really use just specifically his speed to keep up. Aso and Revis are both so highly regarded because of their physicality (Revis will take your head off and Aso is a nightmare with re-directing his man and being able to out physical them into great positioning), and this is why they are so highly sought after. Deion wasn't exactly the most physical corner.

Rey
07-30-2011, 02:50 PM

Actually I heard that was aso's doing.

He doesn't feel comfortable on the other side and pretty much refused to play there.

thunderkyss
07-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Actually I heard that was aso's doing.

He doesn't feel comfortable on the other side and pretty much refused to play there.

That's what his teammate Sap was saying on NFLN

Rey
07-30-2011, 02:58 PM

Ahhhhhhhh yes.

Couldn't remember where I heard that at.

thunderkyss
07-30-2011, 03:08 PM
FYI,

I found this on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57RoEKlbUE8&feature=related) Aso vs Fitz

He switches sides, he blankets the second best WR in the league.

TheMatrix31
07-30-2011, 03:23 PM

Yep.

I saw a couple of highlights in Joseph highlight packages on NFLN (like 3 seconds they discussed our move) where Joseph made some impossible closes on the ball. Somewhat Deion-esque.

I really hope he can pick the ball off often.

Errant Hothy
07-30-2011, 03:50 PM

That's where I heard it as well. Maybe Aso has changed since Sapp retired, but he made it pretty clear that Aso did not like to switch sides.

Allstar
07-30-2011, 05:03 PM
Sapp doesn't know what the hell he's talking about 90% of the time. He's not a very bright guy, and I wouldn't put it past him to be wrong, even if he was on the team with him. I'm still not convinced that it's true.

Heath Shuler
07-30-2011, 06:28 PM
I love the signing. Who got burned on this TD?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35og1Ha1q8Q

thunderkyss
07-30-2011, 06:54 PM
I love the signing. Who got burned on this TD?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35og1Ha1q8Q

My first thought would be #28, Bernard Scott. He released with Anderson, thought Anderson went behind him on the post, but DA faked him out & ran a flag.

There was definitely some confusion on the play, that's why you bunch three WRs to one side. JJo & another DB both covered Walter for no reason, leaving the back of the end zone wide open. So it's not really like David Anderson burned anybody, that was Gary Kubiak (or Rick Dennison).

Heath Shuler
07-30-2011, 07:03 PM
My first thought would be #28, Bernard Scott. He released with Anderson, thought Anderson went behind him on the post, but DA faked him out & ran a flag.

There was definitely some confusion on the play, that's why you bunch three WRs to one side. JJo & another DB both covered Walter for no reason, leaving the back of the end zone wide open. So it's not really like David Anderson burned anybody, that was Gary Kubiak (or Rick Dennison).

definitely blown coverage

Wolf
08-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Houston Texans - PODCAST: Bengals color commentator Dave Lapham thinks Johnathan Joseph impact to be huge... http://t.co/j3fvdud #GoTexans 08-01

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/18/nfl/houston-texans#ixzz1ToTdZXgV

DX-TEX
08-02-2011, 01:24 AM
Dont know if it has been posted but listen to this Dre soundbite. he recruited Joseph at Fred Bennets wedding. Funny little line at the end.

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2011/07/sound-from-texans-andre-johnson-helped-recruit-johnathan-joseph/

GuerillaBlack
08-02-2011, 02:20 AM
I guess Fred Bennett did serve a purpose.

GP
08-02-2011, 02:37 AM

Bernard Scott was a running back out of Abilene Christian (I know this because ACU and Bernard Scott repeatedly hammered my beloved WTAMU Buffaloes).

Why would he be a DB in this instance? Strange.

Ole Miss Texan
08-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Saw this on another forum. A Cincy fan writes regarding Johnathan Joseph signing with us:
Every GM in the country wouldn't have let jjoe get to the open market if they ran this organization. Either tagged or made a deal last year. Mike Brown you are the king of turd sandwiches.
LOL! :spit: