PDA

View Full Version : Jacoby Jones has re-signed with Houston

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 12:49 AM
Per McClain:

Jacoby Jones is getting $10.5 million over 3 yeRs with $3 million guaranteed.

Brandon420tx
07-27-2011, 12:50 AM
I really wanted to move on from JJ, I'm not ecstatic about this news.

Edit: just to be clear, as well, I think JJ would have had a better career with another (fresh start) team. Just like Gaffney did with the Broncos

Allstar
07-27-2011, 12:51 AM
Continuity

Corrosion
07-27-2011, 12:52 AM
I really wanted to move on from JJ, I'm not ecstatic about this news

Its hard to move on from the potential that JJ has ..... if he can put it all together , this is a solid deal - If not , with only $3m guaranteed .... no big deal.

GP
07-27-2011, 12:52 AM
Butler re-signed.

Jones re-signed. Looks like Plaxico is not coming here, IMO. Unless McNair and Smithiak think Plaxico takes the place of Walter. I dunno.

Leach?

DocBar
07-27-2011, 12:54 AM
I'm not gonna slit my wrists, but I AM gonna look into sAints jerseys.

Rey
07-27-2011, 12:56 AM
Butler re-signed.

Jones re-signed. Looks like Plaxico is not coming here, IMO. Unless McNair and Smithiak think Plaxico takes the place of Walter. I dunno.

Leach?

In a somewhat shortened year it's probably best that you resign as many of your own players that know the system already.

Plus jacoby doesn't suck. Inconsistent yes. Suck, no.

srrono
07-27-2011, 12:59 AM
please delete

SteveSlaton20
07-27-2011, 01:00 AM
waste of $$$ and space.

redwhiteANDblue
07-27-2011, 01:01 AM
Nooooo! why him? :strangle:

Allstar
07-27-2011, 01:01 AM
I'm cool with this

srrono
07-27-2011, 01:04 AM
bye bye cap room

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 01:05 AM
Not too crazy about it, but whatever, I guess.

Corrosion
07-27-2011, 01:05 AM
bye bye cap room

$3m guaranteed over 3 years .... not much of a hit if you ask me.

Lucky
07-27-2011, 01:15 AM
More Jacoby hating. Want to save wasted cap space? Cutting David Anderson saves $1.1 million. Waiving Slaton (the 4th string RB) would also save over $1 million.

redwhiteANDblue
07-27-2011, 01:18 AM
More Jacoby hating. Want to save wasted cap space? Cutting David Anderson saves $1.1 million. Waiving Slaton (the 4th string RB) would also save over $1 million.

Not hating on him as a player but this just confirms we aren't getting a legit #2

srrono
07-27-2011, 01:20 AM
$3m guaranteed over 3 years .... not much of a hit if you ask me.

it all adds up if the Texans are going to make a big splash we need cap room

Lucky
07-27-2011, 01:25 AM
Not hating on him as a player but this just confirms we aren't getting a legit #2
Walter & Jones' numbers matchup with most #2 & #3 WR combos in the league. And that's with the best WR in the game. Combine Owen Daniels in the seams and Arian Foster out of the backfield, and the Texans passing attack should be just fine. Not an issue on a team that has so many issues.

Allstar
07-27-2011, 01:27 AM
I swear some of you guys act like our offense isn't very good. We can score and move the ball like the rest of 'em. Owen Daniels being healthy is a very good #2 option.

mariowillshine15
07-27-2011, 01:28 AM
For those numbers i like it.

He has starter talent he just hasn't put it together yet.

If he finally does it's a hell of a deal.

srrono
07-27-2011, 01:32 AM
For those numbers i like it.

He has starter talent he just hasn't put it together yet.

If he finally does it's a hell of a deal.

I am a little tired of IFS

Allstar
07-27-2011, 01:36 AM
A very modest contract for a player that has a unique set of skills that other members of the roster do not possess.

DexmanC
07-27-2011, 01:37 AM
We'd have to overpay for somebody with Jacoby's talent level.
He's young enough to still have his best football days ahead of him.
Might as well be with the Texans.

TexanSam
07-27-2011, 01:42 AM
A very modest contract for a player that has a unique set of skills that other members of the roster do not possess.

Fumbling punts?

Corrosion
07-27-2011, 01:42 AM

At least we can agree outside of the NSZ .... :hurrah:

valleytexfan
07-27-2011, 01:44 AM

True. And at $3m guaranteed not bad.

thunderkyss
07-27-2011, 03:33 AM
More Jacoby hating.

Do you think it's because he's kinda feminine?

I'm happy we resigned Jacoby. One of my favorite Texans.

thunderkyss
07-27-2011, 03:36 AM

& it's not like he doesn't make plays.

You've got to respect him when he's on the field.

Maybe not so much as you'd have to respect a Plaxico Buress who had been training all summer & played football last year........ this bum coming out of prison I don't know.

Norg
07-27-2011, 03:37 AM
I told U in terms of Free agenct we are manily just gonna re sign our own players

Butler Signed
D Lewis Signed
JJ signed

except Leech to be signed has well

beerlover
07-27-2011, 04:48 AM
I would say Jacoby gave Texans a hometown discount. 10 million over three years is good money but I'll wager in this system his stock will continue to rise over life of this contract.

SAMURAITEXAN
07-27-2011, 07:10 AM
Not bad. Should he continues to be the same or a little better, we can keep him or use him as trade bait in the future.

Go Texans!!!

Vinnie
07-27-2011, 07:29 AM
I wonder if this is the end of the DA era? LZ has implied he could be a cap casualty over the last two mornings. This is especially true now that we've been able to retain JJ. I know a lot of people were thinking he'd end up with a different team.

BIG TORO
07-27-2011, 07:38 AM
I like it saving money at home so we can go for the big fish.

Kaiser Toro
07-27-2011, 07:39 AM
Not a Jones fan, but it is a good contract for the Texans and provides continuity in light of the shortened pre-season.

However, I would like to see him as a WR only.

CloakNNNdagger
07-27-2011, 07:47 AM
I won't bother even bother going into JJ's recent demonstration of his kick-off and punt return "prowess." We've been looking for "value" and consistency there for how long?

Where I see the problem is that with AJ routinely double teamed and even triple teamed, people haven't stopped to really review how pathetic JJ's reception numbers have been........

2010 562yds
2009 437yds
2008 81yds
2007 149yds
TOTAL 1,229yds

One may try to make the argument that our offense "spreads the wealth" in smaller gradients to many "receivers." But this approach of multiple play small yardage pickups has killed us when the clock is running out in the 4th quarter while we are behind, and especially when we are deep inside our part of the field. There has not typically been the saving grace of many opportunities opened up for even moderately long pass yardage pickups, because there has not been that opposite (to AJ) field longer threat. Even when JJ has managed to break away down the opposite side of the field, it is a crap shoot if he can occasionally hang onto the ball. If a receiver can't consistently handle the ball when it comes to him, he can't even be considered a legitimate decoy.

I love KW for his consistently good hands. But his yardage has been in nibbles and he has barely broken 600 yards in either of the past 2 seasons.

Without that legitimate reliable longer threat #2 receiver, come from behind last minute scenarios remain more of a pipe dream And, with AJ having at least half the opposing team's secondaries almost hanging off of him every game, in time he can be expected to incure more than his share of injuries and enjoy a shortened career. As great as he is, you can only beat a horse so much before he finds his way to the glue factory.

Doppelganger
07-27-2011, 07:50 AM
I won't bother even bother going into JJ's recent demonstration of his kick-off and punt return "prowess." We've been looking for "value" and consistency there for how long?

Where I see the problem is that with AJ routinely double teamed and even triple teamed, people haven't stopped to really review how pathetic JJ's reception numbers have been........

2010 562yds
2009 437yds
2008 81yds
2007 149yds
TOTAL 1,229yds

One may try to make the argument that our offense "spreads the wealth" in smaller gradients to many "receivers." But this approach of multiple play small yardage pickups has killed us when the clock is running out in the 4th quarter while we are behind, and especially when we are deep inside our part of the field. There has not typically been the saving grace of many opportunities opened up for even moderately long pass yardage pickups, because there has not been that opposite (to AJ) field longer threat. Even when JJ has managed to break away down the opposite side of the field, it is a crap shoot if he can occasionally hang onto the ball. If a receiver can't consistently handle the ball when it comes to him, he can't even be considered a legitimate decoy.

I love KW for his consistently good hands. But his yardage has been in nibbles and he has barely broken 600 yards in either of the past 2 seasons.

Without that legitimate reliable longer threat #2 receiver, come from behind last minute scenarios remain more of a pipe dream And, with AJ having at least half the opposing team's secondaries almost hanging off of him every game, in time he can be expected to incure more than his share of injuries and enjoy a shortened career. As great as he is, you can only beat a horse so much before he finds his way to the glue factory.

I think OD is that legit #2 receiver. I know he plays TE, but he has awfully good hands that can stretch the D. I also think we found a weapon in Foster that we have not had since DD: a pass catching threat out of the backfield. So, JJ may really be target #4, not #2 in our scheme.

Kimmy
07-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Same chit, different season! This is ridiculous.

TimeKiller
07-27-2011, 07:59 AM
Its hard to move on from the potential that JJ has ..... if he can put it all together , this is a solid deal - If not , with only $3m guaranteed .... no big deal.

Sounds like Kubiak talking about Dan O.....

Not thrilled about this. Like Ephraim said, if IFS were FIFTHS, we'd all be d-runk.

I will say that if David Anderson and his act are finally let go or traded to Josh McDaniels for some advice I'll be more ok with JJ's re-signing. Between Dorin Dickerson and now Terrance Tolliver we have a couple real prospect studs waiting to get their shot. People who might make an impact one day.

noxiousdog
07-27-2011, 08:23 AM
Seems reasonable to me.

Could easily be structured with less than a 2 million cap hit this year. Seems reasonable for a 3rd (or 4th) receiver who can return kicks.

thunderkyss
07-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Even when JJ has managed to break away down the opposite side of the field, it is a crap shoot if he can occasionally hang onto the ball. If a receiver can't consistently handle the ball when it comes to him, he can't even be considered a legitimate decoy.

We were debating Andre's drops in 2006.

Dwayne Bowe just recently found his cure.

I think JJ's numbers would look much better if he was actually put into that #2 role.

Dutchrudder
07-27-2011, 08:31 AM
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l5se1iTR0T1qz4w1go1_500.jpg

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 08:32 AM
Would rather have Plaxico as a #2.

DocBar
07-27-2011, 08:54 AM
By unique set of skills, do you mean running sloppy routes, dropping easy passes and not putting in the work to improve yourself?

badboy
07-27-2011, 09:01 AM
I think OD is that legit #2 receiver. I know he plays TE, but he has awfully good hands that can stretch the D. I also think we found a weapon in Foster that we have not had since DD: a pass catching threat out of the backfield. So, JJ may really be target #4, not #2 in our scheme.click click. Dreesen is a very good back up to OD also. I've always been a fan of JJ even when he messed up my prediction last off season that he would go to pro bowl. I think JJ was a returner because he was asked to.

False Start
07-27-2011, 09:01 AM
Yaaaay....:kitten:

I wonder if he dropped the pen when he was signing the contract?

IDEXAN
07-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Just goes to show again that there's just no substitute for speed in the NFL, atleast at certain positions like WR.

badboy
07-27-2011, 09:04 AM
Yaaaay....:kitten:

I wonder if he dropped the pen when he was signing the contract?GTo be fair, didn't JJ have a career year last season? Not tremendous but getting better.

DocBar
07-27-2011, 09:15 AM
GTo be fair, didn't JJ have a career year last season? Not tremendous but getting better.Um....not really. LINK (http://www.nfl.com/player/jacobyjones/2495651/profile)
He had 24 more catches, 120+ more yds receiving than last year but lost 5 YPC and 3 fewer TD's. :strangle:
EDIT: Here's (http://www.nfl.com/player/kevinwalter/2505453/profile) KW's stat line. This is not a good signing IMO.

dalemurphy
07-27-2011, 09:26 AM
I've never been a JJ guy, but this is a good signing. With only $3 million guaranteed, the Texans are free to cut him in 2012 if they choose to. Counting only $3 mill per year against the cap, he's being paid as a contributing backup. He is certainly that with upside, youth, and experience in the system to go with it... Not to mention that he is a weapon in special teams.

DocBar
07-27-2011, 09:37 AM
I've never been a JJ guy, but this is a good signing. With only $3 million guaranteed, the Texans are free to cut him in 2012 if they choose to. Counting only $3 mill per year against the cap, he's being paid as a contributing backup. He is certainly that with upside, youth, and experience in the system to go with it... Not to mention that he is a weapon in special teams.That's $3 mil that could go to an area of more pressing need this season. This season is do or die for the current regime. I'm hoping for do because I'm sick of mediocrity and JJ has defined that in the receiving game, so far. His PR was below par compared to the previous 2 years. I would prefer they use him primarily as a returner and lets see what Dickerson can do as a 3rd WR.

Double Barrel
07-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Same chit, different season! This is ridiculous.

yep, my thoughts exactly.

But completely expected. It's Kubiak's trademark cronyism.

Yeah, it can be rationalized away with a myriad of excuses, but to me it looks like the same old commitment to perpetual mediocrity that we've always seen from this FO. I've never been impressed with JJ's potential, which is all his supporters have to cling to year after year.

Do something to improve the talent. Resigning this hot dogger is not it. We can just hope that status quo remains with this offense, but there are never any guarantees year to year.

Feel free to disagree. Just know that the only thing that will alter my opinion is JJ actually proving himself to be a consistent player on the field. History is on my side of the fence with this one. For the sake of our team, I hope that I am proven wrong.

Texecutioner
07-27-2011, 10:59 AM
By unique set of skills, do you mean running sloppy routes, dropping easy passes and not putting in the work to improve yourself?

Now we're in agreement Doc Bar. :fingergun:

And I don't get why anyone would call this a "good signing". Sure, it might not be a lot committed salary wise or with guaranteed money, but this means that the Texans are not going to go after any other potential guys that could actually upgrade the #2 WR position. Sure, that might not be the biggest need here or a need at all I guess, but if we're not going to improve the defense significantly in free agency than might as well do it in other areas if possible. In an off season where the front office has stated they're going to be so aggressive in free agency, they sure have had a slow start compared to other teams who seem to be a lot more consistent in improving their teams in the off season.

JJ is like that cool electronic device that you get at the store that is fun to play with when it works but breaks all of the damn time making it cheap and useless for the most part.

silvrhand
07-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Personally, I would have rather signed Roy Williams than re-sign JJ...

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 11:00 AM

Then hell! Lets bring in VY as well. He will guarantee ticket sales for 5+ years.

rush2112mn
07-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Some will like the signing....some will hate it.
I like his playmaking abilities on punt returns.

I think he stepped his game up when Dre went down last year. He ended up with 51 catches for the year. He matured and has not had any off field issues.

I also like the resigning of Butler at Offensive Tackle backup as well........

Texecutioner
07-27-2011, 11:08 AM

You make me want to vomit by saying that.

Reason being is that I totally agree. Lol!

The1ApplePie
07-27-2011, 11:11 AM

At least Roy is tall and can be a threat in the endzone

Right now the Texans have a one-legged Owen Daniels and Kevin "The White Guy That Plays with AJ" Walter

DocBar
07-27-2011, 11:15 AM

And I don't get why anyone would call this a "good signing". Sure, it might not be a lot committed salary wise or with guaranteed money, but this means that the Texans are not going to go after any other potential guys that could actually upgrade the #2 WR position. Sure, that might not be the biggest need here or a need at all I guess, but if we're not going to improve the defense significantly in free agency than might as well do it in other areas if possible. In an off season where the front office has stated they're going to be so aggressive in free agency, they sure have had a slow start compared to other teams who seem to be a lot more consistent in improving their teams in the off season.

JJ is like that cool electronic device that you get at the store that is fun to play with when it works but breaks all of the damn time making it cheap and useless for the most part.Will wonders never cease? LOL
I think I need to get a Cowher Power sig or avatar cuz it sure looks like Smithiak is going out with a whimper.

silvrhand
07-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Then hell! Lets bring in VY as well. He will guarantee ticket sales for 5+ years.

no, I just think RW has more upside at this point than JJ..

gary
07-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Re-sign our own guys same garbage.

phantom17
07-27-2011, 12:22 PM
I like this!:specnatz:

utahmark
07-27-2011, 12:37 PM

as long as we are re-signing offensive players it's ok.

JCTexan
07-27-2011, 12:43 PM

They can't really sign a free agent until friday anyway so I don't see a problem with them signing the guys they want to keep on this team.

silvrhand
07-27-2011, 05:46 PM
They can't really sign a free agent until friday anyway so I don't see a problem with them signing the guys they want to keep on this team.

Cause most of us would like to see put JJ up for trade or simply find a better secondary receiver to Andre other than JJ/Walter.. There are a lot of good 1-3 year guys we could pick up that would make it a lot harder to just ignore and double AJ all day long. I think a lot of baggage guys might be happy here with our passing offense as everyone gets a look.

- Roy Williams
- Chad Johnson
- TO
- Sidney Rice
- Mike Williams
- Mike Sim-Walker

DocBar
07-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Cause most of us would like to see put JJ up for trade or simply find a better secondary receiver to Andre other than JJ/Walter.. There are a lot of good 1-3 year guys we could pick up that would make it a lot harder to just ignore and double AJ all day long. I think a lot of baggage guys might be happy here with our passing offense as everyone gets a look.
lot of baggage guys might be happy here with our passing offense as everyone gets a look.

- Roy Williams (http://www.nfl.com/player/roywilliams/2506096/profile)
- Chad Johnson (http://www.nfl.com/player/chadochocinco/2504651/profile)
- TO (http://www.nfl.com/player/terrellowens/2502377/profile)
- Sidney Rice (http://www.nfl.com/player/sidneyrice/2495718/profile)
- Mike Williams (http://www.nfl.com/player/mikewilliams/2506356/profile)
- Mike Sim-Walker (http://www.nfl.com/player/mikesims-walker/2507184/profile)
Are you serious? Ochocinco and TO would be the only significant upgrades, but at what cost in terms of cap hit and just being a pain in the ass? As I stated earlier, I'd like to see what Dickerson can do. I also wouldn't mind seeing OD move to WR and let Dreesen be the #1 TE.

silvrhand
07-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Are you serious? Ochocinco and TO would be the only significant upgrades, but at what cost in terms of cap hit and just being a pain in the ass? As I stated earlier, I'd like to see what Dickerson can do. I also wouldn't mind seeing OD move to WR and let Dreesen be the #1 TE.

Sorry I'm tired of experiments, let's put people that have experience in the positions that they've played and excelled at.

Sign any of those guys to a 1 year contract and see if it works out if it doesn't dump them like a bad habit.

DocBar
07-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Sorry I'm tired of experiments, let's put people that have experience in the positions that they've played and excelled at.

Sign any of those guys to a 1 year contract and see if it works out if it doesn't dump them like a bad habit.

There is no question about Mike Williams. He sucks.
There is no question about Roy Williams. He sucks unless playing the Texans.
There are all kinds of questions about TO. Most think he's outta gas.
There are no questions about Ochocino. He's talented, but a pain in the ass and a distraction of epic proportions.
There are all kinds of questions about Sidney Rice. He's proven to be injury prone.
There are questions about Mike Sims-Walker. He's the Jags version of JJ.
Signing any one of these guys would be an experiment that's likely to fail badly. If the Texans had a stronger HC and team leadership ( a Bagwell or Biggio type of clubhouse leader), I could see Ochocinco coming to town. We don't have that.

Texecutioner
07-27-2011, 06:27 PM
There are no questions about Ochocino. He's talented, but a pain in the ass and a distraction of epic proportions.
There are all kinds of questions about Sidney Rice. He's proven to be injury prone.
Signing any one of these guys would be an experiment that's likely to fail badly. If the Texans had a stronger HC and team leadership ( a Bagwell or Biggio type of clubhouse leader), I could see Ochocinco coming to town. We don't have that.

Sydney Rice is capable of being a top WR in this league Doc. He has height and he is ridiculously talented. He just had on bad injury just like tons of players. I agree with most of the rest of the guys on the list.

CloakNNNdagger
07-27-2011, 06:33 PM

Furthermore, TO underwent ACL tear repair (for an off-season injury) the beginning of this past June. Hang it up for this year at very least.

DocBar
07-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Sydney Rice is capable of being a top WR in this league Doc. He has height and he is ridiculously talented. He just had on bad injury just like tons of players. I agree with most of the rest of the guys on the list.I agree that he's a very good talent, but his 1st 2 seasons with Minnesota were injury plagued as well, weren't they? How well will he return from the hip injury? Maybe CND can chime in on that injury.

Texecutioner
07-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Furthermore, TO underwent ACL tear repair (for an off-season injury) the beginning of this past June. Hang it up for this year at very least.

TO can still play at a very high level, but with that surgery his season will be in doubt. And with his age, I just don't see him returning to being that productive. Even at full health I'd never welcome him to any team I root for. He can erupt at any time and when he erupts over and over he causes way more problems than the average player who gets frustrated.

fiasco west
07-27-2011, 06:55 PM
And Sidney Rice just signed with Seattle.

Hervoyel
07-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Per McClain:

Jacoby Jones is getting $10.5 million over 3 yeRs with $3 million guaranteed.

Waste of money.

gary
07-27-2011, 06:56 PM
They can't really sign a free agent until friday anyway so I don't see a problem with them signing the guys they want to keep on this team.I just do not ever bank on much with Gary and Smith running the show.

Hervoyel
07-27-2011, 07:01 PM

JJ is like that cool electronic device that you get at the store that is fun to play with when it works but breaks all of the damn time making it cheap and useless for the most part.

Texans fans are so accustomed to bad signings that they look at a bad signing that doesn't do too much damage and that's easy to get out of (only $3 million guaranteed) as a "good signing". It's sad really. When I listen to Texans fans I hear people who have become accustomed to lowered expectations and a team that never delivers. I've been around since the start and thinking of the dreams of 2002 it's hard to accept where we are now.

Hervoyel
07-27-2011, 10:32 PM
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/Reliant-Redemption-4.jpg

Hervoyel
07-27-2011, 10:36 PM
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/Reliant-Redemption-3.jpg

Kaiser Toro
Well played Herv

Hervoyel
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/Reliant-Redemption-2.jpg

MEGA SWATT
07-27-2011, 10:56 PM
I like it. He is clutch. He has made some really tough catches and if he can pull it all together can really be a great, explosive player. He must break the cycle of dropping the easy passes and making the amazing catches later on.

Dutchrudder
07-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Nice photoshops Herv. Can you do one of the guy crawling through the **** tubes and have him say something like, 'well it beats going through another 8-8 season'?

Hervoyel
07-27-2011, 10:59 PM
Nice photoshops Herv. Can you do one of the guy crawling through the **** tubes and have him say something like, 'well it beats going through another 8-8 season'?

If I can find a decent picture of it I'll scrap something together.

DocBar
07-28-2011, 12:02 AM
If I can find a decent picture of it I'll scrap something together. Do you really detest the Texans as much as you seem to?

Scooter
07-28-2011, 05:30 AM
i dont mind re-signing jacoby for the same reason i wouldnt mind holding onto slaton. in the right roles they're extraordinary weapons. then again, when do we use anyone properly? they're also dirt cheap.

jacoby is a 1st and 2nd down, between the 20's playmaker. slaton is a 3rd down draw, screen, motion, or dump playmaker (and usually a decent pass blocker). i doubt jacoby will ever "get his head screwed on straight" and he's never going to have good hands, but if used instead of walter on early downs he is a true threat with our play action and bootlegs, and a way to influence safeties away from both arian and andre. his threat and our play action does more for our run game than walter's blocking and consistency in my opinion.

if we continue to see jacoby on third down and in the redzone, this is a terrible signing unless a trade is on the horizon.

thunderkyss
07-28-2011, 06:30 AM
Cause most of us would like to see put JJ up for trade or simply find a better secondary receiver to Andre other than JJ/Walter.. There are a lot of good 1-3 year guys we could pick up that would make it a lot harder to just ignore and double AJ all day long.

Is AJ really being doubled that bad?

he's always a top ten receiver.

Lucky
07-28-2011, 06:33 AM
if we continue to see jacoby on third down and in the redzone, this is a terrible signing unless a trade is on the horizon.
I'm not following the logic behind Jones not used in the red zone. Jacoby has 9 TDs in 96 career receptions. That ratio (10.7 catches/TD) is the best on the Texans.

Scooter
07-28-2011, 07:07 AM
I'm not following the logic behind Jones not used in the red zone. Jacoby has 9 TDs in 96 career receptions. That ratio (10.7 catches/TD) is the best on the Texans.

logic rules ... jacoby jones is a better redzone target than andre johnson.

thunderkyss
07-28-2011, 07:09 AM
logic rules ... jacoby jones is a better redzone target than andre johnson.

It's not like we're targeting Andre in the Red Zone either.

Scooter
07-28-2011, 07:15 AM
It's not like we're targeting Andre in the Red Zone either.

which is exceptionally unfortunate and goes to what i said earlier about not using our players properly. we use andre as a decoy or blocker in the redzone more often than not - in order for jacoby to drop a touchdown or a 1.5yd run or anderson to get crushed on a no-gainer. i believe last season andre in a mic'd up segment said he released from a blocking assignment for a touchdown reception.

plays in the redzone should be designed to open up for andre. not for andre to open up for everybody else.

El Tejano
07-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Anyone on here knows that I've been an advocate for upgrading the WR position for some time but I have to give credit when it's due. Especially when you consider how the WR position can be a diva position and how we always here how some players never seem to get their act together and how our organization is such a bad group to deal with. Jacoby shows maturity in this quote and I think it speaks well for our organization when we are trying to court one of the top FAs in this year's class.

"I wanted to stay," he said. "I told my agent (Kennard McGuire) I wanted to stay. I didn't give one bit of thought to leaving.

"These guys had my back when I had off-the-field issues my second year. They stood behind me and supported me, and I wanted to be back with them. I'm very excited about what we can do this season."
By re-signing Jones, the Texans don't have to make replacing him a priority.

By re-signing Jones, the Texans don't have to make replacing him a priority.

"I want to make plays any way I can — as a receiver or returning kickoffs and punts," Jones said. "I like to have the ball in my hands."
Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7672795.html#ixzz1TPCOJ9Iu

DocBar
07-28-2011, 08:39 AM
logic rules ... jacoby jones is a better redzone target than andre johnson.I would think that it's because you have a short field and 2-3 guys draped all over AJ. It only makes sense to throw to the guys who are wide open. Teams aren't going to let AJ beat us andhe simply can't be single covered by anyone not named Revis.

The Pencil Neck
07-28-2011, 09:33 AM

I just see all the times the ball goes right through his hands when he's in traffic in the end-zone. I think he has a problem locating the ball when there are lots of people around.

Scooter
07-28-2011, 09:50 AM
I would think that it's because you have a short field and 2-3 guys draped all over AJ. It only makes sense to throw to the guys who are wide open. Teams aren't going to let AJ beat us and he simply can't be single covered by anyone not named Revis.

yup, but AJ doesn't make jacoby a more legit target than anyone else on the roster. those situations are for scheme and our "hands" team ... andre, walter, anderson, daniels, casey - and hopefully dorin dickerson. jacoby is a separation and run after the catch receiver who excels in creating and exploiting space. to suggest otherwise would be silly.

jacoby is worth keeping and in 40 catches could have 700yds and 11 touchdowns if used as the homerun first 2 downs opposite andre. walter is an ideal #2 any time we go 3 receiver and is the leader in short yardage situations.

i forget which game, but 2010 scenario - we use walter as an easily covered post route against andre undeneath in a max-pro play action (thrown away), and on 3rd down a 7 yard out to jacoby that is obviously a botched route (overthrown). swap 2 players on that series and how do you feel about the results of each play?

DocBar
07-28-2011, 10:02 AM
yup, but AJ doesn't make jacoby a more legit target than anyone else on the roster. those situations are for scheme and our "hands" team ... andre, walter, anderson, daniels, casey - and hopefully dorin dickerson. jacoby is a separation and run after the catch receiver who excels in creating and exploiting space. to suggest otherwise would be silly.AJ makes anyone not named AJ a better target because they are garaunteed to be single covered. Of course you scheme for that and have your "hands team" on the field for. I contend that JJ shouldn't be on a "hands team" because his "hands" are not reliable.

jacoby is worth keeping and in 40 catches could have 700yds and 11 touchdowns if used as the homerun first 2 downs opposite andre. walter is an ideal #2 any time we go 3 receiver and is the leader in short yardage situations.Here we go talking about "potential" again. It's always the same. JJ could do this, do that, do the other. The problem is that he only does a tantalizing part of it. For every spectacular play he makes, there are 2 or 3 bad one ones.

i forget which game, but 2010 scenario - we use walter as an easily covered post route against andre undeneath in a max-pro play action (thrown away), and on 3rd down a 7 yard out to jacoby that is obviously a botched route (overthrown). swap 2 players on that series and how do you feel about the results of each play?
A touchdown, of course. LOL :specnatz:

thunderkyss
07-28-2011, 10:15 AM
yup, but AJ doesn't make jacoby a more legit target than anyone else on the roster. those situations are for scheme and our "hands" team ... andre, walter, anderson, daniels, casey - and hopefully dorin dickerson. jacoby is a separation and run after the catch receiver who excels in creating and exploiting space. to suggest otherwise would be silly.

jacoby is worth keeping and in 40 catches could have 700yds and 11 touchdowns if used as the homerun first 2 downs opposite andre. walter is an ideal #2 any time we go 3 receiver and is the leader in short yardage situations.

Very good analysis.

Trail.Blazr
07-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Unlike a majority here, I am pleased with the deal, which is very modest money for a vet with decent playmaking ability. I didn't mind seeing Gaffney leave, but I would have missed JJ if he left for this money.

In JJ, I see a kid out of Lane College who, when drafted was immature and certainly facing an uphill climb to hone his craft to an NFL level. Most receivers take a 2-3 year learning curb. Combining the his collegiate handicap and the fact he's been the 4th or 5th man on a very good receiving corp, his growth has to be considered stunted, so I believe his best years are due and soon.

He's shown maturity as of late.
He's got SWAGGER.
He's a playmaker.

I truly believe you have to have had patience with this prospect and despite those nagging drops we are quick to bring up, these are things that can be trained for improvement(Sydney Rice). There's no arguing his upside, but at the same token no need to play his downside as if he's only provided value that would compare to say Amobi, who's been afforded MUCH more opportunity for growth and success. Unlike I am for Amobi, I'm not ready to turn my back on JJ.

Here's hoping that this is the best $3 mill spent this year....

God Bless JJ and God Bless the Houston Texans!

Most of all, God Bless the pathetic fans... talk about deserving!

Hervoyel
07-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Do you really detest the Texans as much as you seem to?

No, of course not. If I detested them as much as I seem to then I'd not bother keeping up with them. I'm just having a little fun. Certainly the Texans & my fellow fans aren't above having their noses tweaked a little bit. Like every single poster here I'm desperate to see them break through and deliver. I'd like nothing better than to eat my words about the team and everyone associated who I complain about.

Surely you're familiar with the act of K'vetching?

hobie
07-28-2011, 01:56 PM
No, of course not. If I detested them as much as I seem to then I'd not bother keeping up with them. I'm just having a little fun. Certainly the Texans & my fellow fans aren't above having their noses tweaked a little bit. Like every single poster here I'm desperate to see them break through and deliver. I'd like nothing better than to eat my words about the team and everyone associated who I complain about.

Surely you're familiar with the act of K'vetching?

That like Planking?

badboy
07-28-2011, 02:06 PM
i dont mind re-signing jacoby for the same reason i wouldnt mind holding onto slaton. in the right roles they're extraordinary weapons. then again, when do we use anyone properly? they're also dirt cheap.

jacoby is a 1st and 2nd down, between the 20's playmaker. slaton is a 3rd down draw, screen, motion, or dump playmaker (and usually a decent pass blocker). i doubt jacoby will ever "get his head screwed on straight" and he's never going to have good hands, but if used instead of walter on early downs he is a true threat with our play action and bootlegs, and a way to influence safeties away from both arian and andre. his threat and our play action does more for our run game than walter's blocking and consistency in my opinion.

if we continue to see jacoby on third down and in the redzone, this is a terrible signing unless a trade is on the horizon.JJ looked pretty good last season catching a pass from Matt for two points.

Thorn
07-28-2011, 02:08 PM
JJ has an absloute TON of potential. Key word here is potential. But, if he can deliver on half to 3/4s of it, this is a good signing. If JJ actually develops into what he has the talent to do, it will be awsome.

It's just that JJ brings a lot of "If"'s to the table is all.

Scooter
07-28-2011, 02:29 PM
JJ looked pretty good last season catching a pass from Matt for two points.

if i remember right (not something i'm good at) he had a couple chances at 2 pointers ... both being ugly routes and both undercutting a wide open andre johnson. i think he dropped the first one.

thunderkyss
07-28-2011, 02:37 PM
if i remember right (not something i'm good at) he had a couple chances at 2 pointers ... both being ugly routes and both undercutting a wide open andre johnson. i think he dropped the first one.

I rewatched the Ravens game a few nights ago. There was one TD, were he jumped like 50" to steel one from AJ.

SteveSlaton20
10-11-2011, 09:52 PM
waste of $$$ and space.

:kitten:

TheRealJoker
10-11-2011, 10:01 PM
You know how 3rd world countries get t-shirts made for the losing super bowl teams? That's kind of like getting Jacoby Jones instead of Randy Moss!

PapaL
10-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Funny how SteveSlaton20 bumps a thread about a guy that should be cut too.

Ryan
10-11-2011, 10:08 PM
I had to read the entire thread again to make sure i didn't endorse JJ in any way. At least i'm clean.:kingkong:

thunderkyss
10-11-2011, 10:13 PM
I had to read the entire thread again to make sure i didn't endorse JJ in any way. At least i'm clean.:kingkong:

I'm still a fan.

edo783
10-11-2011, 10:52 PM
I thought he was a reasonable off season signing based on how few WR were actually available in a reasonable price range. Not looking so good right now and hopefully Mason helps.

House of Pain
10-11-2011, 11:04 PM
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/9951/jacobyjoneshate.jpg

Dutchrudder
10-11-2011, 11:09 PM
He was only guaranteed 3 million, so it's likely he can be cut this year with no cap hit. Low risk, low reward type deal. Works for me.

I can't knock the signing, but Steve Breaston would have been a great pickup in his place.

Wolf6151
10-12-2011, 12:02 AM
:lol:You know how 3rd world countries get t-shirts made for the losing super bowl teams? That's kind of like getting Jacoby Jones instead of Randy Moss!

:lol:

BigBull17
10-12-2011, 08:43 AM
You know how 3rd world countries get t-shirts made for the losing super bowl teams? That's kind of like getting Jacoby Jones instead of Randy Moss!

JJ is not a good football player, but people need to knock this Randy Moss **** off. He is a lazy good for nothing piece of **** cancer. T.o would be WAY better, but he was hurt and is ****ing crazy. Sydney Rice is the main guy they should have went for. ****. RANDY. MOSS!

Rey
10-14-2011, 09:35 AM
A review of the game tape, specifically the times Jones was targeted, shows some interesting results, including that 13 passes actually were intended for Jones, but two were nullified by penalties on the Raiders.

Three of Matt Schaub's passes were overthrown, including one when he was hit as he was throwing. Two of Schaub's passes were tipped at the line of scrimmage. Three passes were underthrown. Another was low and would have taken a great catch.

"Like I told you, he ran some damn good routes where, if the ball didn't get tipped or hit, he would've came away from the game with five or six catches for another 70, 80 yards," coach Gary Kubiak said.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/kubiak-defends-jacoby-jones-game-575888.html

Brisco_County
10-14-2011, 10:44 AM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/kubiak-defends-jacoby-jones-game-575888.html

As much of a critic of Jacoby as I have become, I have to acknowledge that Kubiak has made some good points here. It doesn't give Jacoby a free pass, but it cuts him some slack for that game.

DX-TEX
10-14-2011, 10:51 AM

In other words: Schaub STILL played like crap

thunderkyss
10-14-2011, 11:30 AM
MSR
A review of the game tape, specifically the times Jones was targeted, shows some interesting results, including that 13 passes actually were intended for Jones, but two were nullified by penalties on the Raiders.

That's pretty much what I counted. There was also of course, the one that he caught, the one that went through his hands as Jacoby stretched out on the slant (I think this was one where Matt was hit) & the one with the double move where his route was in question (this was the only one Baldinger could find to put on Playbook), those were on Jacoby.

I don't know if I would have said he ran some damn good routes.
"Like I told you, he ran some damn good routes where, if the ball didn't get tipped or hit, he would've came away from the game with five or six catches for another 70, 80 yards," coach Gary Kubiak said.

But I'd say he ran good enough to get open & that's half the battle right there.

thunderkyss
10-14-2011, 11:32 AM
In other words: Schaub STILL played like crap

More like the OL played like Crap, Schaub was taking a beating.

Texan_Bill
10-14-2011, 11:42 AM
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/9951/jacobyjoneshate.jpg

But, but that's some sweet, "tight lettuce" right there.

TejasTom
10-14-2011, 08:24 PM
More like the OL played like Crap, Schaub was taking a beating.

I agree.

Scooter
10-16-2011, 06:25 PM

we're half-way there. jacoby on a play action post is a mismatch that he can win with his athleticism. an out route in a desperate situation is where walter (and now mason) should be the primary targets, along with johnson obviously when he's in. jones shouldnt even be on the field. we converted all day with walter and mason, but for some dumb ass reason we put jones in the game in redzone and key late game situations.